PDA

View Full Version : 2016-2017 Announcer Thread

MChambers
11-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Post here your comments on radio and TV announcers and commentators You know, comments like "Why does Jay Bilas keep ranting about needed rule changes?" Or "why does Bilas like UNC so much?" Or, "is Cory Alexander Len Elmore's son?" (As a side note, I've generally like Alexander's announcing, so am surprised to read all the recent complaints.)

So comment here on Bilas, Alexander, Elmore, Vitale, Gminski, Spanarkel, Jason/Jay Williams, Seth Greenberg, Seth Davis, and the rest.

budwom
11-24-2016, 09:23 AM
our in house MVP continues to be the mute button, I'm afraid it's going to wear out.

subzero02
11-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Cory Alexander isn't just Elmore's son... he's his attention starved and pretentious middle child.

Pghdukie
11-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Worst announcer I've heard in awhile is Brock Hueart. A football announcer that should go back and do Jr Hi games. Absolutely the worse. Alexander has him beat 10 fold.

killerleft
11-24-2016, 12:00 PM
How many times will we get to hear Alexander tell us that HE won two out of the three games he played at Cameron? Then again, he seems to wear out his bullet points every game, such as the trouble Coach K will have blending in the injured freshmen as they return.

Maybe Dickie V is training him up.

budwom
11-24-2016, 12:27 PM
The only announcer news I really want to hear is who is going to succeed the irreplaceable Mr. Bob Harris?

gam7
11-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Cory Alexander isn't just Elmore's son... he's his attention starved and pretentious middle child.

Agree that Cory Alexander was not great overall, but his on-mike demeanor is a lot more positive than Elmore's. He joked around about his commenting about winning 2 of 3 in cameron - saying something like, "I definitely was going to get that fact in there yonight, and now I've done it twice!"

One thing I really liked (and did not realize until Alexander started talking about it during the game) was his unique perspective on Giles and, to a lesser extent, Jayson. Cory coached Giles (and I think Tatum) on Team USA, and also was an assistant coach at Oak Hill last year when Harry tore his second ACL. In fact, he was the coach who went back to the locker room with Giles to test out his knee after he came out of the game because of the torn ligament. He definitely had some interesting first hand input.

The only announcer news I really want to hear is who is going to succeed the irreplaceable Mr. Bob Harris?

Ryan Craig? He is young, and he did postgame interviews with players on goduke/DBP for a few years and is now doing some play by play for espn. In fact, he did the Marist-Duke game with Chris Spatola doing color. He is solid. He does not, however, say "D'yuke."

elvis14
11-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Ryan Craig? He is young, and he did postgame interviews with players on goduke/DBP for a few years and is now doing some play by play for espn. In fact, he did the Marist-Duke game with Chris Spatola doing color. He is solid. He does not, however, say "D'yuke."

I really enjoyed Chris Spatola's insight when he did the Marist game. Wish we could get more of him commenting games.

SCMatt33
11-24-2016, 02:50 PM
I agree he sentiment about Alexander's demeanor being much more positive. It has that self-deprecating tone that Jay Bilas has used well. It was along the lines of "heck, even I was able to make two out of three here" in reference to Cameron's supposed soft rims. Where is went off the rails for me is when they went on for a good 3 or 4 minutes about football. I blame this more on Anish Shroff who needs to have awareness that his color guy doesn't really know much about it and steer the conversation away.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2016, 02:59 PM
I thought Cory did well. Some of the things he is getting ragged about came, I think, from trying to fill time once the game got lopsided.

I thought his insight about playing in CIS was interesting, and he was not being a jerk about his record there. He brought it up in response to the other announcer making some comment about losing there I think.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-24-2016, 04:18 PM
It felt like Alexander had a conflict of interest. I know Harry is a great player and I can't wait to see him but Alexander's gushing seemed like he was trying to help Harry's draft position.

freshmanjs
01-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Brando was truly awful yesterday.

- Clueless on Kennard foul situation
- Multiple times whining about their location in the arena
- Exaggerated how "horrible" it was for Wake when Collins got 2 fouls, when Kennard was already on the bench with 2
- Over the top refusing to have any empathy for Grayson
- Complete miss of what happened with Childress / Grayson

kmspeaks
01-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Brando was truly awful yesterday.

- Clueless on Kennard foul situation
- Multiple times whining about their location in the arena
- Exaggerated how "horrible" it was for Wake when Collins got 2 fouls, when Kennard was already on the bench with 2
- Over the top refusing to have any empathy for Grayson
- Complete miss of what happened with Childress / Grayson

- Confused Giles, Jefferson, and Tatum with each other more than once, he may have called Frank somebody else once as well but I can't remember

lotusland
01-29-2017, 12:43 PM
- Confused Giles, Jefferson, and Tatum with each other more than once, he may have called Frank somebody else once as well but I can't remember

Yes he thought Jackson was Tatum. Also confused Giles for Amile once but Gman corrected him so he said he was confused because Giles had come in for Jefferson but, in fact, both Giles and Jefferson were both still in the game.

Olympic Fan
01-29-2017, 12:49 PM
I usually like Brando, but I agree that he was awful Saturday, Never seen a first-rate play-by-play man confuse so many players. His whining about the location of the broadcast booth was childish.

Also last night, I was watching the late SportsCenter when they did the Duke game. Not surprised that the focus was on Allen and not the game. When they get to the scrum in front of the Duke bench, they spotlight Allen, which clearly shows that he does nothing ... then the female announcer (didn't get her name) showed the Childress takedown -- describes it right, that Childress wrapped him up and threw him down, then added "that's what you have to do with Allen, wrap him up like a baby then lay him down."

CDu
01-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Yes he thought Jackson was Tatum. Also confused Giles for Amile once but Gman corrected him so he said he was confused because Giles had come in for Jefferson but, in fact, both Giles and Jefferson were both still in the game.

I would say the bolded part happens just about every other game. The announcers are at times terrible at recognizing when subs come in. They will usually (not always) get the first subs of the half right. After that, they stink at it. I'm sure it is a difficult job to call a game. But these are some of the mistakes I notice that are made a lot.

budwom
01-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Meanwhile, speaking of announcers and confusion, does anyone have any notion as to who will follow the esteemed Mr. Bob in the Duke broadcast booth?
I imagine it'll be someone we've never heard of...

kmspeaks
01-29-2017, 12:59 PM
I would say the bolded part happens just about every other game. The announcers are at times terrible at recognizing when subs come in. They will usually (not always) get the first subs of the half right. After that, they stink at it. I'm sure it is a difficult job to call a game. But these are some of the mistakes I notice that are made a lot.

The mistakes with subs is understandable, especially if they weren't seated court-side. Brando was saying the wrong guy's name when they had the ball though. Tatum had the ball on a fast break, took the ball to the basket and was fouled but he said it was Giles.

elvis14
01-29-2017, 09:16 PM
The problem with Brando last night wasn't simple mistakes. It was his tone. When WF scored or made a good play he was loud and cheering. When Duke would score he was just ho hum: "and Allen hits a three on this end" vs. "Collins DOWN THE LANE WITH CONVICTION!!!! Duke HAS NO ANSWER FOR HIM TONIGHT. That young man is so talented!!!!" etc. etc. If there's one thing we knew by the end of that game, it's how great each and every WF player is and could be.

He claimed that Jayson threw an elbow (on a "foul" where the WF player hit his face on the ball). He was anti-Grayson Allen all night. He said nothing when GA was tackled (Childress should have been ejected, BTW, that wasn't a simple reaction trip he ran across the floor grabbed another player and tackled/threw him into the chairs). There was no talk of how outrageous Childress' actions were. I never knew TB was a Duke hater...he was last night.

My best friend generally thinks I'm too sensitive about the anti-Duke announcers. He hears it but doesn't think there's much too it like I do. He texted me last night that he wanted beat Brando with a baseball bat (he's normally the more reasonable between us). That put the hack job that he did last night in perspective for me.

AFL
01-29-2017, 09:47 PM
The problem with Brando last night wasn't simple mistakes. It was his tone. When WF scored or made a good play he was loud and cheering. When Duke would score he was just ho hum: "and Allen hits a three on this end" vs. "Collins DOWN THE LANE WITH CONVICTION!!!! Duke HAS NO ANSWER FOR HIM TONIGHT. That young man is so talented!!!!" etc. etc. If there's one thing we knew by the end of that game, it's how great each and every WF player is and could be.

He claimed that Jayson threw an elbow (on a "foul" where the WF player hit his face on the ball). He was anti-Grayson Allen all night. He said nothing when GA was tackled (Childress should have been ejected, BTW, that wasn't a simple reaction trip he ran across the floor grabbed another player and tackled/threw him into the chairs). There was no talk of how outrageous Childress' actions were. I never knew TB was a Duke hater...he was last night.

My best friend generally thinks I'm too sensitive about the anti-Duke announcers. He hears it but doesn't think there's much too it like I do. He texted me last night that he wanted beat Brando with a baseball bat (he's normally the more reasonable between us). That put the hack job that he did last night in perspective for me.

I totally agree. I have never been a fan of Tim Brando, but after yesterday, I like him even less. He was totally anti-Duke in his comments yesterday. He kept going on and on about Duke not stopping Wake from driving to the basket, when he knew that Duke was saddled with foul trouble and couldn't afford to foul anymore.

Clipsfan
01-29-2017, 10:42 PM
I totally agree. I have never been a fan of Tim Brando, but after yesterday, I like him even less. He was totally anti-Duke in his comments yesterday. He kept going on and on about Duke not stopping Wake from driving to the basket, when he knew that Duke was saddled with foul trouble and couldn't afford to foul anymore.

Have to agree that he was awful and I normally ignore the bad announcers. I think he was talking excessively about Wake's foul trouble when Collins got his 3rd and Duke had 3 guys with 4 at the time if I remember correctly. One that really bothered me was his comment in the first half saying that Duke's best offense was throwing it at the rim and putting it back. I think Duke had 2 second chance points that entire half. Just embarrassing overall.

duke4ever19
01-29-2017, 11:08 PM
Who else would love it if espn offered an alternate feed online without announcers, perhaps on espn3, or even a button you could click to tune in-and-out of the announcer feed?

I got the idea from watching "sky-cam" during bowl season, which only had stadium noise, and found I much preferred hearing the sounds of the stadium, as if I were there.

westwall
01-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Sorry, I cannot contribute to the tone of this thread. Tim Brando has been around for years. He is a generic sports announcer; he is not particularly good, and he's not particularly bad. He makes mistakes, but I attribute those to his not good/not bad nature, not to any bias. And yes, he did SEEM to be cheering when WF scored, but that is what generic announcers do, they emphasis plays by the team leading, as WF was, right to the end. Had Duke been leading, the opposite might well have been true.
And with regard to his mistakes, mis-identifying players, missing Childress' take-down of Grayson, I give the benefit of doubt; both announcers were far from the action, and G-Man was unable to provide any clarity from the booth. And, based on the TV feed, I also was unable (a rarity) to distinguish some of the players. Thus, I say, focus outrage on the bias generated by ESPN, not on these two non-ESPN broadcasters.

wavedukefan70s
01-30-2017, 01:05 AM
Brando is decent .he could be a lot worse .G man more than made up for his generic partner.
I like bilas .i may be one of the few but i do like doris burke sometimes.

budwom
01-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Who else would love it if espn offered an alternate feed online without announcers, perhaps on espn3, or even a button you could click to tune in-and-out of the announcer feed?

I got the idea from watching "sky-cam" during bowl season, which only had stadium noise, and found I much preferred hearing the sounds of the stadium, as if I were there.

The mute button essentially serves the same purpose...it has been my home MVP for years and years

elvis14
01-30-2017, 09:18 AM

I would love a feed that would let us hear the game but not the announcers. Using the mute button takes away from the game experience too much. I'm pretty used to ignoring bad announcers (although when they are as bad as Brando was the other night it's difficult...and he was ridiculously bad not just generic).

killerleft
01-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I cannot contribute to the tone of this thread. Tim Brando has been around for years. He is a generic sports announcer; he is not particularly good, and he's not particularly bad. He makes mistakes, but I attribute those to his not good/not bad nature, not to any bias. And yes, he did SEEM to be cheering when WF scored, but that is what generic announcers do, they emphasis plays by the team leading, as WF was, right to the end. Had Duke been leading, the opposite might well have been true.
And with regard to his mistakes, mis-identifying players, missing Childress' take-down of Grayson, I give the benefit of doubt; both announcers were far from the action, and G-Man was unable to provide any clarity from the booth. And, based on the TV feed, I also was unable (a rarity) to distinguish some of the players. Thus, I say, focus outrage on the bias generated by ESPN, not on these two non-ESPN broadcasters.

Yeah, Brando isn't that bad, I guess. I thought that Mike Gminski, my hero, had a lackluster game, too. Maybe they just fed off each other's blah and ended up blah-blah.

I would love to watch the game and only hear only the actual arena noise, also. There's less to clutter the mind, it causes less angst, and makes the experience more enjoyable.

Faustus
01-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Years ago (like early 1980s? I bet numerous readers here remember better than I do) NBC as a gimmick experimented with showing one NFL game without ANY announcers in the booth. I recall it being a Dolphins game in Miami. The only aids were down and yardage, and I guess clock, shown at the bottom of the screen. I'm pretty sure they showed the scoreboard a good deal as well. I don't recall what they did for instant replays, but those would have been without commentary as well. Evidently the entire nation hated it and there was never any mention of repeating the attempt, but I rather liked it. It's very understandable why it wasn't successful: there would be no one to explain how a play had just gone, what a penalty was all about, not to mention anything about strategies or supplementary information about anything, and, worse yet, you actually had to pay attention to the game itself and actually think about these things on your own (by the twenty-teens, an almost inconceivable concept - some people can't even drive their own cars today without a little voice from a speaker telling them what to do).

But on the other hand, I never felt more like I was actually there in the stadium, and the game seemed far more immediate and surrounding you as the crowd noise and sounds from the field itself were far more pervasive than the mere background noise we otherwise get, with some inarticulate boob of an ex-player babbling nonsense like "He really came to play today" (Gee, really?) or "He really wanted it more than the other guy!" (Possibly, but maybe he's just a better player. Thanks for passing that insight along to us). Basketball games would be even more difficult, if not nearly impossible, to air coherently without SOME commentary, but it might be refreshing at some point for a network to provide only a single commentator who realizes his job is to provide minimal but critical information, that viewers can actually see the action itself and not require an all-inclusive account of it, and that every second of air space does not have to be filled with verbal noise. I don't think anyone argues that the most effective act of announcers at the very conclusion of a dramatic and important game, as the camera pans the celebrating team, the emotionally crushed losing team, the crowds (remember the crying flutist from Villanova after the State loss the other year?), is just to shut up. I wish they could do that more often. But we all know it ain't gonna happen.

rsvman
01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
I would love a feed that would let us hear the game but not the announcers. Using the mute button takes away from the game experience too much. I'm pretty used to ignoring bad announcers (although when they are as bad as Brando was the other night it's difficult...and he was ridiculously bad not just generic).

This! A thousand times this.

The mute button is great but it takes away the cheering, booing, etc., which I miss a great deal. In general I find it better (most of the time) to put up with boring or idiotic announcers than to not be able to hear the atmosphere of the game.

bluedev_92
01-30-2017, 10:14 AM

+1 Was restraining myself from throwing items around the room! Can't believe his whole mindset...

elvis14
01-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but I don't usually pay much attention to the announcers (although Elmore and, sadly, Bilas get to me). So I'm not making a blanket "Brando is bad" statement, I'm just talking about last night's game. He was awful last night. Don't know if hating Duke is the norm for him because I couldn't tell you who he is or when I've heard him do other games because he was mostly ignored.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-30-2017, 10:30 AM
I recently read an article about a women's game (I think it was Seton Hall vs. St. John's or something like that) where they miked both coaches for most of the game. They had announcers but told them to talk as little as possible so the audience could mainly hear the coaches. I'm thinking that producing this in real time would have to be very hard in terms of figuring out which coach to have active, keeping it PG, etc., but it sounds like a great idea.

Unrelatedly, as someone who deeply enjoyed their time down south but now lives in the northeast, I really enjoy the ACC Network games for the local advertising flavor - it makes me really miss my years in Durham.

jv001
01-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but I don't usually pay much attention to the announcers (although Elmore and, sadly, Bilas get to me). So I'm not making a blanket "Brando is bad" statement, I'm just talking about last night's game. He was awful last night. Don't know if hating Duke is the norm for him because I couldn't tell you who he is or when I've heard him do other games because he was mostly ignored.

I've heard Brando and Cremins on XM-Radio and they both seem to like Duke and especially Coach K. However I agree, Brando was really bad in the Wake game. G-Man was off his game as well but I usual like him. GoDuke!

Danke Shane
01-30-2017, 06:59 PM

About 6 or 7 years ago I used a 5.1 surround sound speaker system with the tv. I noticed that the rear speakers on sports broadcasts were usually just the crowd noise audio. I set up a profile on my audio receiver box for "sports" that muted all but the two rears and it was a legit workaround and achieve the broadcaster free viewing experience. I'm not sure if surround sound broadcasts are still set up this way but it might be something to explore.

arnie
01-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Announcers tonite calling the game are analyzing the flow, discussing player strengths - except for 10 minute stretch on Mussberger. Refreshing sounds.

itshoopsbabee
01-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Announcers tonite calling the game are analyzing the flow, discussing player strengths - except for 10 minute stretch on Mussberger. Refreshing sounds.

Dan Dakich is a VERY refreshing change - no whining about the NCAA or Grayson or ...

Just calling the game.

arnie
01-30-2017, 08:20 PM

Disregard previous post. Dakich and Davis loving they're run of mill ESPN hacks. Of course Dan Dakich will always be my hero. 23

Bluedog
01-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Dakich defended Grayson and even espoused some of the Grayson hate perspectives that have been posted here. I personally thought he was pretty solid. I'd like more Duke games called by him.

arnie
01-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Dakich defended Grayson and even espoused some of the Grayson hate perspectives that have been posted here. I personally thought he was pretty solid. I'd like more Duke games called by him.

Agree, Dakich focused on game flow and actual X's and O's. He did trash the Grayson haters. Wonder if Jay Willuams gets him terminated.

Saratoga2
01-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Agree, Dakich focused on game flow and actual X's and O's. He did trash the Grayson haters. Wonder if Jay Willuams gets him terminated.

The difference between Dick Vitale and Dakich is night and day. Why ESPN sticks with Dickie is beyond me.

TruBlu
01-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Agree that the announcers were better tonight, but there was one real head scratcher.

After the blown call where the ND player was not given the and-1, one of the announcers said "they should all be and-1's, except for when they are not".

Huh?

Ballboy1998
01-30-2017, 10:19 PM
No crew is perfect, and these guys would definitely go on some tangents, but I really enjoyed some of the more cogent basketball nuts and bolts Dakich provided. While their styles are very different, it reminded me a bit of how I felt when Coach Knight would commentate -- he was far from the most polished commentator, but I actually felt like I would learn something about basketball when he did a game.

Then, later in the game Dakich further won me over by giving some actual real talk regarding Grayson. And I especially enjoyed his question about whether the Grayson stuff was fueled by the need to have a Duke villain at the end. I think he was playing dumb like a fox there and intended it as a rhetorical question to an extent.

elvis14
01-30-2017, 11:05 PM
I know the announcers have had a good night when I've hardly noticed them....and that was tonight. Very refreshing after the travesty that was Brando on Saturday.

gam7
01-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Agree that the announcers were better tonight, but there was one real head scratcher.

After the blown call where the ND player was not given the and-1, one of the announcers said "they should all be and-1's, except for when they are not".

Huh?

If I recall, he was drawing a distinction between how college refs are stingy about giving continuation - the college rules make it a "when in doubt, no continuation" approach. He was saying he thought it should be the other way around.

No crew is perfect, and these guys would definitely go on some tangents, but I really enjoyed some of the more cogent basketball nuts and bolts Dakich provided. While their styles are very different, it reminded me a bit of how I felt when Coach Knight would commentate -- he was far from the most polished commentator, but I actually felt like I would learn something about basketball when he did a game.

Then, later in the game Dakich further won me over by giving some actual real talk regarding Grayson. And I especially enjoyed his question about whether the Grayson stuff was fueled by the need to have a Duke villain at the end. I think he was playing dumb like a fox there and intended it as a rhetorical question to an extent.

Dakich also went out of his way to lavish praise on Capel's X's and O's. A nice change.

CoachJ10
01-30-2017, 11:25 PM
You all and I were listening to a different game. Dakich and Rece had the announcer trifecta tonight...barely paying attention to the game in the first half, being anti-Duke throughout, and having the basketball analysis they did be often wrong. The only thing Dakich really got right was pointing out how effective Tatum is when he is initiating closer to the hoop and playing strong and decisive. Dakich trying to explain away the repeated terrible calls by the refs always make someone lose credibility with me.

jv001
01-30-2017, 11:41 PM
You all and I were listening to a different game. Dakich and Rece had the announcer trifecta tonight...barely paying attention to the game in the first half, being anti-Duke throughout, and having the basketball analysis they did be often wrong. The only thing Dakich really got right was pointing out how effective Tatum is when he is initiating closer to the hoop and playing strong and decisive. Dakich trying to explain away the repeated terrible calls by the refs always make someone lose credibility with me.

Dakich did make on observation that I thought was spot on. He said that ND needed to straight drive to be effective against Duke. However I don't know if they had the guards that could pull it off. They really miss their point guard that graduated off last seasons team. I can't think of his name, it's past my bed time. GoDuke!

elvis14
01-31-2017, 12:06 AM

I understand what you are saying but after that hack job on Saturday these guys were actually a refreshing change for the better.

Indoor66
01-31-2017, 07:23 AM
The difference between Dick Vitale and Dakich is night and day. Why ESPN sticks with Dickie is beyond me.

Probably because they agreed to pay him a lot of money a few years ago.

I thought this crew was better when they stuck to the game. Still too much time off in the weeds.

Henderson
01-31-2017, 02:42 PM
If you can synch the audio and video, I find the ideal combination is Bob Harris on the radio with whatever television broadcast is available.

Bob (God love him) isn't good at painting a picture of what's happening on the floor, but we have TV for that. Most TV commentators are annoying, and Bob Harris is not that.

Sadly, I find myself just listening to Bob on the radio, throwing socks at his play-by-play calls ("Bob, what just happened?!!" Sock toss), then begging forgiveness in church on Sunday.

brumby041
01-31-2017, 03:07 PM

{MUTE}

moonpie23
01-31-2017, 03:20 PM
If you can synch the audio and video, I find the ideal combination is Bob Harris on the radio with whatever television broadcast is available.

Bob (God love him) isn't good at painting a picture of what's happening on the floor, but we have TV for that. Most TV commentators are annoying, and Bob Harris is not that.

Sadly, I find myself just listening to Bob on the radio, throwing socks at his play-by-play calls ("Bob, what just happened?!!" Sock toss), then begging forgiveness in church on Sunday.

bob is long in the tooth and is having difficulty with names QUICKLY.......John helps him out benevolently by filling in.... that said, i'd still rather listen to those guys than the TV...

and i LOVE being 15 secs ahead of the TV cast.......it's great to know what's going to happen and watch the play set up.

grad_devil
01-31-2017, 03:22 PM
and i LOVE being 15 secs ahead of the TV cast....it's great to know what's going to happen and watch the play set up.

Wait - you don't just live in the future? My illusion is shattered...

elvis14
01-31-2017, 03:44 PM
{MUTE}

Discussed earlier in the thread and eliminated as a useful solution because it also eliminates the sound of the game/crowd etc.

Faustus
01-31-2017, 04:07 PM
P.S. We won't have Brent Musberger to kick around anymore after tonight (Kentucky-Georgia game, I believe, on ESPN). The man who gave us "The Cameron." And where are Phyllis George and Irv Cross these days? God Speed, Brent...

devildeac
01-31-2017, 04:30 PM
bob is long in the tooth and is having difficulty with names QUICKLY....John helps him out benevolently by filling in... that said, i'd still rather listen to those guys than the TV...

and i LOVE being 15 secs ahead of the TV cast....it's great to know what's going to happen and watch the play set up.

And I kinda/sorta/not really hate you for that.

Oh, wait a minute, I listen to the same radio station you do. :o

duke4ever19
02-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Musburger signed off for the final time tonight.

Good news, though, he's invited us to his place in Las Vegas to have a cold one and share a win or two. . . .? :confused:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18595851

ricks68
02-01-2017, 12:39 AM
P.S. We won't have Brent Musberger to kick around anymore after tonight (Kentucky-Georgia game, I believe, on ESPN). The man who gave us "The Cameron." And where are Phyllis George and Irv Cross these days? God Speed, Brent...

I am soooooo pleased that he is finally gone. Good riddance. He knows so little about the players and what is actually going on during his broadcasts. Long before they had the earpieces, you could tell that he was constantly being fed the info in writing by someone else, as he sometimes came out with stuff that had to be typos that he read straight off the paper or the teleprompter. From the very first time I heard his voice over the PA at the 1966 Final Four when he had no idea how to pronounce Tony Barone's name, or much of anything about our team, I have disliked his arrogant facade.

Really strange, however, is that I can find no confirmation on the net that he did the game. There are listings for the announcers for the game that went over the air, but not the announcer(s) for what was said over the PA during the game. (There was at least one.) Also, there is a gap in his announcing bio that doesn't fully have what he was doing around that time. But I was there, and as I have stated before on the board, his incredible lack of preparation and knowledge concerning the teams he is covering, has always riled me up. I think (know) it is because of that first time he covered us. I took it as a personal insult, and it has never left me. And he became the top guy.:confused::eek: That's it. Sorry for the rant.:o

ricks

Old Gold 89
02-01-2017, 12:44 AM
I think Dakich was fantastic! Best analysis of a Duke game since Bobby Knight. I loved how he focused on what was actually happening in the game, including the decisions of the coaches and the players.

He made aggressive observations -- for example, he said our offense should always run through Allen and Kennard. But he was self-deprecating enough to acknowledge when a brilliant play by Tatum or Jefferson undercut his opinion.

I thought it was a fantastic performance.

MChambers
02-01-2017, 07:43 AM
I think Dakich was fantastic! Best analysis of a Duke game since Bobby Knight. I loved how he focused on what was actually happening in the game, including the decisions of the coaches and the players.

He made aggressive observations -- for example, he said our offense should always run through Allen and Kennard. But he was self-deprecating enough to acknowledge when a brilliant play by Tatum or Jefferson undercut his opinion.

I completely agree, which is a surprise, because my kids went to Big Ten schools, so I see a lot of games where Dakich is the color guy, and he often annoys me. He is very, uh, confident in his views and that can wear on you over time. On the other hand, he does focus on the game more than most, and actually has some unusual insights.

WiJoe
02-01-2017, 10:47 AM

especially when he and the other mope talked about domer football

gam7
02-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Was it just my TV, or did Dan Shulman and Bilas look like bald versions of Max Headroom last night whenever they put the announcers on camera? What was up with that? Looked like they tried to put a plain black background behind them up in the bird's nest, which I have never seen before. Whatever they did, it had a weird effect.

Pghdukie
02-14-2017, 08:50 PM
I find this very hard to believe, is Dickie V doing an NBA telecast with Bill Walton ? My lord, who's the play by play man and will he get a word in !

duke4ever19
02-14-2017, 09:02 PM
I find this very hard to believe, is Dickie V doing an NBA telecast with Bill Walton ? My lord, who's the play by play man and will he get a word in !

I hope there's a "buffer" announcer there to pull them back to the edge of sanity. That's a wacky combo, but I guess that's what espn was going for.

Indoor66
02-15-2017, 08:09 AM

Bigger question: Will there be a coherent thought?

slower
02-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Was it just me, or did Tim Brando seem to have a barely-concealed dislike for Duke? He always seems to go out of his way to praise an opposing player, but always hair-trigger ready to jump on Duke, or officials who give us a questionable call. Maybe I'm paranoid.

bluedev_92
02-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Was it just me, or did Tim Brando seem to have a barely-concealed dislike for Duke? He always seems to go out of his way to praise an opposing player, but always hair-trigger ready to jump on Duke, or officials who give us a questionable call. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. Barely-concealed is a great way to describe it.

kmspeaks
02-15-2017, 11:44 AM
I hope there's a "buffer" announcer there to pull them back to the edge of sanity. That's a wacky combo, but I guess that's what espn was going for.

I don't know what they're going for but I think what they're going to get is to make sure any NBA fans that don't watch college basketball never do. I wonder if Vegas has an over/under on number of things discussed that aren't related to the game being played.

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 12:07 PM
I don't know what they're going for but I think what they're going to get is to make sure any NBA fans that don't watch college basketball never do. I wonder if Vegas has an over/under on number of things discussed that aren't related to the game being played.

Wow. Calculus was a long time ago, but I remember something about the value of x as y approaches infinity?

Pghdukie
02-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Maybe throw in Charles Barkley as sideline reporter !

brevity
02-15-2017, 07:49 PM

One day later and they're at it again. Dick Vitale, Bill Walton, and short-end-of-the-straw holder Dave Pasch are calling the Pacers-Cavaliers game. Waiting for Dickie V to notice Richard Jefferson, James Jones, and Kyle Korver so he can start calling them "adult diaper dandies".

Pghdukie
02-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Who is doing Duke/Virginia game ?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2017, 08:03 PM

Not Dickie V apparently.

BigWayne
02-15-2017, 08:23 PM

I saw last night it was supposed to be Bilas and Collins.

updated from UVA site:

TV: ESPN2 (Play-by-play — Karl Ravech; Analysts — Jay Bilas, Doug Collins; Reporter — Maria Taylor)

Indoor66
02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Walton looks ridiculous in his tye-dyed tee shirt.😛

Tripping William
02-15-2017, 08:42 PM
I saw last night it was supposed to be Bilas and Collins.

updated from UVA site:

TV: ESPN2 (Play-by-play — Karl Ravech; Analysts — Jay Bilas, Doug Collins; Reporter — Maria Taylor)

Wow! Since when is Doug Collins calling college games? If Bilas can dial-back the Pompous-Meter, this could be awesome.

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Wow! Since when is Doug Collins calling college games? If Bilas can dial-back the Pompous-Meter, this could be awesome.

ESPN is doing their crossover event. Pro announcers switcing with college. Dickie V and Bill Walton doing the cavs/pacers

ricks68
02-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Looks like big news for Bilas watchers (that I missed because I was at the UNCheat and Clemson games), as he finally had his lower front teeth leveled off. It will be interesting to observe how his speech patterns adapt. (Still doesn't fix his maxillary/mandibular jaw discrepancy, however.)

ricks

weezie
02-16-2017, 12:07 AM
... Dickie V and Bill Walton doing the cavs/pacers

Just ponder that gas festival for a moment :eek:

vfefrenzy
02-16-2017, 08:48 AM
I really enjoyed Doug Collins on last night's broadcast. OTOH, Seth Greenberg continued to prove himself a fool by insisting that the 3/4 press was hurting Duke, when everyone else saw how it disrupted UVa and eased the defensive burden on our guys.

Sixthman
02-16-2017, 09:06 AM
I really enjoyed Doug Collins on last night's broadcast. OTOH, Seth Greenberg continued to prove himself a fool by insisting that the 3/4 press was hurting Duke, when everyone else saw how it disrupted UVa and eased the defensive burden on our guys.

If the average poster on this board were given the access to players and coaches Greenberg has, he or she would have ten times the insights into college basketball this maroon has. He is often wrong about Xs and Os and even more so about individual players. Come to think about it, he fits in pretty well at ESPN.

Bluedog
02-16-2017, 09:27 AM

I agree on both counts. Doug Collins was great and really refreshing to hear. I also was dumbfounded when Uncle Fester said that our press was hurting us...made absolutely zero sense. Virginia is used to taking up the whole shot clock so when we made them take more time in the backcourt, they weren't used to initiating their offense so quickly. Hence, the few shot clock violations. The 30 sec shot clock really helped us last night - 35 sec and it could have honestly been a different game.

I also thought it was bizarre that Jalen and Seth at halftime were talking like Virginia dominated the half and Duke had no answer. It was a four point game....I think commentators in general lend too much credence at halftime to just "who is winning" and then pick out plays that fit the narrative. In fact, when it went back to live broadcast at the beginning of the second half, they showed about 6 highlights where Duke missed all their shots and UVa made all theirs. I don't think there's some consipiracy here -- simply that UVa was ahead and they wanted to show why. But four points is nothing, so seems odd that they'd emphasize that so much. It was a relatively balanced first half with a small UVa spurt at the end.

jv001
02-16-2017, 03:29 PM
I agree on both counts. Doug Collins was great and really refreshing to hear. I also was dumbfounded when Uncle Fester said that our press was hurting us...made absolutely zero sense. Virginia is used to taking up the whole shot clock so when we made them take more time in the backcourt, they weren't used to initiating their offense so quickly. Hence, the few shot clock violations. The 30 sec shot clock really helped us last night - 35 sec and it could have honestly been a different game.

I also thought it was bizarre that Jalen and Seth at halftime were talking like Virginia dominated the half and Duke had no answer. It was a four point game...I think commentators in general lend too much credence at halftime to just "who is winning" and then pick out plays that fit the narrative. In fact, when it went back to live broadcast at the beginning of the second half, they showed about 6 highlights where Duke missed all their shots and UVa made all theirs. I don't think there's some consipiracy here -- simply that UVa was ahead and they wanted to show why. But four points is nothing, so seems odd that they'd emphasize that so much. It was a relatively balanced first half with a small UVa spurt at the end.

Doug Collins knows what he's talking about. Jalen and Seth are clowns. The press caused Virginia to shoot with the shot clock about to expire and a few times the shot clock expired. Great move by Coach K. GoDuke!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-18-2017, 09:50 PM
From N&O article today... this little tidbit from Bilas' interview struck me as indicative of his mindset as an ESPN disciple and Skipper butt kisser: "I'm a realist that we all serve at the pleasure of our superiors..."

How else does one explain his love affair with UNC and willingness to dismiss their cheating on the basis of supposed technicalities? I'm now firmly in the camp that he's saying whatever he has to say to get paid.

sagegrouse
02-18-2017, 11:06 PM
From N&O article today... this little tidbit from Bilas' interview struck me as indicative of his mindset as an ESPN disciple and Skipper butt kisser: "I'm a realist that we all serve at the pleasure of our superiors..."

How else does one explain his love affair with UNC and willingness to dismiss their cheating on the basis of supposed technicalities? I'm now firmly in the camp that he's saying whatever he has to say to get paid.

I think that's a preposterous position. What is being said by the commentators hardly matters at all to ESPN brass (or anyone else, probably). It's really just show biz, jock-style. The bosses are in a business and are totally concerned with conference and league contracts, ad dollars, subscription revenue (and the decline thereof), and alternative ways to reach viewers.

Jay is an esteemed professional, with whom I frequently disagree (I can feel his heart being broken as I type this). He is at the absolute top of college basketball broadcasting, and I am pleased to see a Duke basketball player (and a loyal one, despite all the junk that gets posted here) do well.

Jay Williams is coming along, although more slowly than I had hoped. He's got a great job in sports broadcasting and a bright future. By the way, Jay's paean to UNC hoops may look a tad more reasonable with the Heels' goring of the Cavaliers tonight.

Seth Davis is also in a really good position, and I think he does an excellent job. His kindness to my nine-year-old granddaughter at the Final Four in 2015 redeems him in my eyes -- he blew off the 100th anniversary Chronicle reunion a few years ago after accepting an invitation to speak.

The other Duke guys are fun to listen to: G-man, Spanarkel, Alaa. There are probably a bunch of others.

Kindly,
Sage
'This is a Duke fan site and Duke guys (and gals) are gonna get defended here, even when there are problems'
"Alaa did the in-arena broadcasting at the 2015 Final Four. Who knew there was in-arena broadcasting?"

Faison1
02-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Some will defend Jay Bilas, and some will attack Jay Bilas.

As for me, I will only say, I just don't understand his constant gushing over UNC. Tonight against UVA, he went so far as to admire the way UNC retires some numbers and simply honors others. He said, "It's really cool".

The other night, he talked about how great their Big-Man Program was for the millionth time.

Maybe I'm defensive, but I rarely hear him talk that way about Duke. I don't expect him too, but c'mon man!! Why all the love for UNC???

I just don't get it!!!!

BandAlum83
02-18-2017, 11:45 PM

As for me, I will only say, I just don't understand his constant gushing over UNC. Tonight against UVA, he went so far as to admire the way UNC retires some numbers and simply honors others. He said, "It's really cool".

The other night, he talked about how great their Big-Man Program was for the millionth time.

Maybe I'm defensive, but I rarely hear him talk that way about Duke. I don't expect him too, but c'mon man!! Why all the love for UNC???

I just don't get it!!!!

Maybe he thinks if Duke did it this way, he would have had a shot at being honored, since he wouldn't be retired??

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2017, 04:34 AM

I just don't get it!!!!

To be fair, Paige and Johnson were being honored, so it was relevant.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-19-2017, 06:40 AM
I think that's a preposterous position. What is being said by the commentators hardly matters at all to ESPN brass (or anyone else, probably). It's really just show biz, jock-style. The bosses are in a business and are totally concerned with conference and league contracts, ad dollars, subscription revenue (and the decline thereof), and alternative ways to reach viewers.

Jay is an esteemed professional, with whom I frequently disagree (I can feel his heart being broken as I type this). He is at the absolute top of college basketball broadcasting, and I am pleased to see a Duke basketball player (and a loyal one, despite all the junk that gets posted here) do well.

Jay Williams is coming along, although more slowly than I had hoped. He's got a great job in sports broadcasting and a bright future. By the way, Jay's paean to UNC hoops may look a tad more reasonable with the Heels' goring of the Cavaliers tonight.

Seth Davis is also in a really good position, and I think he does an excellent job. His kindness to my nine-year-old granddaughter at the Final Four in 2015 redeems him in my eyes -- he blew off the 100th anniversary Chronicle reunion a few years ago after accepting an invitation to speak.

The other Duke guys are fun to listen to: G-man, Spanarkel, Alaa. There are probably a bunch of others.

Kindly,
Sage
'This is a Duke fan site and Duke guys (and gals) are gonna get defended here, even when there are problems'
"Alaa did the in-arena broadcasting at the 2015 Final Four. Who knew there was in-arena broadcasting?"
You're certainly entitled to your opinion as well. I myself have a very hard time reconciling his constant gushing and, more importantly, his apologist attitude toward UNC's cheating over the last several years. For a few years now he has inexplicably played down UNC's proven cheating nearly to the point of denial and has gone out of his way to defend Roy as having no knowledge of any of it. Now he has shifted his argument to one based on technicalities and continued his rant against the NCAA -- very much in line with the UNC party line.

Let's be clear, I'm not calling Bilas out for any anti-Duke sentiment. I believe he is a loyal Dukie through and through. But his tiresome gushing over a very good (but not heads above all others) program this year and his unwavering defense of a program (and its leaders) that perpetuated the worst cheating scandal in college basketball history are just too much for ME to believe that he isn't pandering to his ultimate superior.

sagegrouse
02-19-2017, 08:32 AM
You're certainly entitled to your opinion as well. I myself have a very hard time reconciling his constant gushing and, more importantly, his apologist attitude toward UNC's cheating over the last several years. For a few years now he has inexplicably played down UNC's proven cheating nearly to the point of denial and has gone out of his way to defend Roy as having no knowledge of any of it. Now he has shifted his argument to one based on technicalities and continued his rant against the NCAA -- very much in line with the UNC party line.

Let's be clear, I'm not calling Bilas out for any anti-Duke sentiment. I believe he is a loyal Dukie through and through. But his tiresome gushing over a very good (but not heads above all others) program this year and his unwavering defense of a program (and its leaders) that perpetuated the worst cheating scandal in college basketball history are just too much for ME to believe that he isn't pandering to his ultimate superior.

Thanks for not objecting to a contrary opinion. Two additional points: Does Jay fawn excessively over UNC or does he just despise the NCAA and its regulatory framework and practices? I understand Jay's point about academics being beyond the scope of the NCAA, but I profoundly disagree with him on the NCAA's acquiescence to a set of practices that, if permitted, would be adopted everywhere and result in college athletes getting no education whatsoever. The fact that the NCAA has to skate along the edges of academics by citing "assistance not available to non-athletes" is understandable under these circumstances. Yep, and Al Capone got nailed for tax evasion, not murder.

Second, I have trouble believing arguments that ESPN announcers are currying favor with John Skipper, a UNC graduate. Those of us on this and other boards are really sports fans who live to see teams win and lose. Surely Skipper (who has a master's in English literature from Columbia and worked as an editor at Rolling Stone) and others in similar positions detest watching sports on TV given that they have to live it 50+ hours a week in the office. It's a business first and "fun stuff" would lie elsewhere. As a result, I doubt Skipper cares one way or another what Bilas and JWill have to say about UNC's hoops team. Moreover, (and it pains this fan to say this) UNC is having an outstanding season. The UNC athletic scandal is a different matter because it is hard news with its own story line far different from who wins on the court.

bob blue devil
02-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks for not objecting to a contrary opinion. Two additional points: Does Jay fawn excessively over UNC or does he just despise the NCAA and its regulatory framework and practices? I understand Jay's point about academics being beyond the scope of the NCAA, but I profoundly disagree with him on the NCAA's acquiescence to a set of practices that, if permitted, would be adopted everywhere and result in college athletes getting no education whatsoever. The fact that the NCAA has to skate along the edges of academics by citing "assistance not available to non-athletes" is understandable under these circumstances. Yep, and Al Capone got nailed for tax evasion, not murder.

my two cents -

i have been deeply disappointed by jay's commentary around unc's academic scandal. the notion you have sighted - that jay objects to the ncaa's handling of the case because one can argue (dubiously in my opinion) that the ncaa is not operating within its framework - is simply his latest position. not coincidentally it is completely in line with unc's latest position ("yes, we did bad, but it's not in your jurisdiction, so have a nice day"). if you look back at jay's commentary historically, it has been more about two rogue administrators and every school having some easy classes. not coincidentally, these also were in lockstep with unc's positions at the time.

in general, jay's anti-ncaa position originally seemed to be based on a desire to better the lot of the student athlete. so, while i disagreed with him on many points, i was happy to learn from his perspective. but his position (err... positions) on the unc scandal - where would-be student athletes were shamelessly taken advantage of - makes it abundantly clear that his purpose is something different.

budwom
02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
There are similarities between working for any organization which is having financial problems, whether it's a bank, a manufacturing company, or a sports network.

ESPN is experiencing a significant (but sustainable for the time being) erosion of revenue and profit....as such, it's not too surprising to me that guys like Bilas and Williams are
displaying significant (if dismaying) levels of suckitude towards their boss. I tried for a long time to find other reasons for their behavior, but I've given up.

jv001
02-19-2017, 12:28 PM
my two cents -

i have been deeply disappointed by jay's commentary around unc's academic scandal. the notion you have sighted - that jay objects to the ncaa's handling of the case because one can argue (dubiously in my opinion) that the ncaa is not operating within its framework - is simply his latest position. not coincidentally it is completely in line with unc's latest position ("yes, we did bad, but it's not in your jurisdiction, so have a nice day"). if you look back at jay's commentary historically, it has been more about two rogue administrators and every school having some easy classes. not coincidentally, these also were in lockstep with unc's positions at the time.

in general, jay's anti-ncaa position originally seemed to be based on a desire to better the lot of the student athlete. so, while i disagreed with him on many points, i was happy to learn from his perspective. but his position (err... positions) on the unc scandal - where would-be student athletes were shamelessly taken advantage of - makes it abundantly clear that his purpose is something different.

Jay Bilas is a brown noser. He's sucking up to his boss in the biggest way and should be ashamed of it. But his ego will not permit it. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
02-19-2017, 01:46 PM
my two cents -

There are similarities between working for any organization which is having financial problems, whether it's a bank, a manufacturing company, or a sports network.

ESPN is experiencing a significant (but sustainable for the time being) erosion of revenue and profit...as such, it's not too surprising to me that guys like Bilas and Williams are
displaying significant (if dismaying) levels of suckitude towards their boss. I tried for a long time to find other reasons for their behavior, but I've given up.

Jay Bilas is a brown noser. He's sucking up to his boss in the biggest way and should be ashamed of it. But his ego will not permit it. GoDuke!

IMHO (where the H ran away with the Spoon a long, long time ago), Jay Bilas is a top-notch professional with strong, consistent, but deeply controversial opinions about the NCAA, which leads him to doubt the case against UNC. It appears that I am the only person here who has this view.

budwom
02-19-2017, 02:05 PM
^ just as a wee clarification of what I'm saying, Sage, Bilas's suckitude towards unc seems to go well beyond the NCAA case, extends to their on court wondrousness
to an extent I just can't otherwise explain (other than the suckitude to John Skipper angle).

TruBlu
02-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Could someone please explain a statement made by Bilas during the UVA-unc game last night:

While discussing the UVA-VaTech game when London's late shot balanced on the rim, Bilas stated that it was "like getting a parking ticket at night".

Huh?!?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Could someone please explain a statement made by Bilas during the UVA-unc game last night:

While discussing the UVA-VaTech game when London's late shot balanced on the rim, Bilas stated that it was "like getting a parking ticket at night".

Huh?!?

Yeah, that was way strange. As I recall, it was followed by several beats of awkward silence.

brevity
02-19-2017, 04:12 PM

Huh?!?

Short answer: It's an incredibly unlikely misfortune.

Long answer: Generally, people don't get parking tickets at night because no one is around to check parking meters. (Some vigilant lot owners might call their towing agency, but that's a different problem.) If you manage to get ticketed after dark, you have lost despite favorable odds.

Similarly, I guess, a shot either goes in or misses. Normally the worst that can happen is that you miss and lose the rebound, ending your possession. But if the ball stays up there (more likely wedged against the rim than what happened here), your possession ends automatically, despite favorable odds.

It's an illustrative statement to make but requires a real leap in logic. I don't think it will catch on.

bob blue devil
02-19-2017, 04:16 PM
IMHO (where the H ran away with the Spoon a long, long time ago), Jay Bilas is a top-notch professional with strong, consistent, but deeply controversial opinions about the NCAA, which leads him to doubt the case against UNC. It appears that I am the only person here who has this view.

i find a lot to agree with in what you've stated here. i believe jay is exceptionally skilled in his profession. he also seems to have deeply held beliefs about the ncaa. just help me understand where you are coming from on this - do you think the case against unc may be dubious or are you implying that jay's beliefs have led him to a misguided judgment in the unc case? obviously, the former is not worth debating in this particular thread.

sagegrouse
02-19-2017, 04:45 PM
i find a lot to agree with in what you've stated here. i believe jay is exceptionally skilled in his profession. he also seems to have deeply held beliefs about the ncaa. just help me understand where you are coming from on this - do you think the case against unc may be dubious or are you implying that jay's beliefs have led him to a misguided judgment in the unc case? obviously, the former is not worth debating in this particular thread.

I think UNC is gonna get smacked hard by the NCAA, and it deserves all of it: scholarships, banners, financial penalties, post-season bans and more.

Jay Bilas believes college athletes in revenue sports are essentially professionals, should get paid, and should have the right to sell their images for dough. He is, therefore, totally a-kilter with the NCAA rules and regulations. Consequently, he believes that the problems with the athletic department's engineering for its athletes content-free courses of no educational value, while despicable, is a matter for the accreditation organization (SACSOC) not the NCAA.

He also believes that the NCAA procedures are counter to sound legal processes; therefore, the COI should not be headed by the Commissioner of the SEC, Greg Sankey, but should have independent professionals in charge, essentially administrative law judges. Jay's a lawyer and a litigator; his position can be understood. I think he's wrong; the NCAA is essentially a club that enforces its own rules. So be it.

Kindly,
Sage
'By the way, the football-mad SEC couldn't care a flying fortescue about what happens to UNC'

bob blue devil
02-20-2017, 08:13 AM
I think UNC is gonna get smacked hard by the NCAA, and it deserves all of it: scholarships, banners, financial penalties, post-season bans and more.

Jay Bilas believes college athletes in revenue sports are essentially professionals, should get paid, and should have the right to sell their images for dough. He is, therefore, totally a-kilter with the NCAA rules and regulations. Consequently, he believes that the problems with the athletic department's engineering for its athletes content-free courses of no educational value, while despicable, is a matter for the accreditation organization (SACSOC) not the NCAA.

He also believes that the NCAA procedures are counter to sound legal processes; therefore, the COI should not be headed by the Commissioner of the SEC, Greg Sankey, but should have independent professionals in charge, essentially administrative law judges. Jay's a lawyer and a litigator; his position can be understood. I think he's wrong; the NCAA is essentially a club that enforces its own rules. So be it.

Kindly,
Sage
'By the way, the football-mad SEC couldn't care a flying fortescue about what happens to UNC'

thanks for humoring me. a few points:
1) "he believes...while despicable" - i have never received the impression from jay's commentary that he views what went down at unc as despicable; perhaps i've missed it, but i have only seen him downplaying the significance of the scandal - and this is probably one of the most disappointing aspects of his commentary. he may have slipped it in as a preamble to his outrage against the ncaa, but clearly his emphasis has not been on the true outrage here and he's actively seeking to come to the defense of the guilty party.
2) i agree, if i were a lawyer i'd probably believe the ncaa process is flawed and in need of upgrading. i also do think unc is a dubious choice to use as a poster child for the process failing to safeguard the schools, since the case demonstrates the need for flexibility for the ncaa to continue to safeguard the student athletes from the schools.
3) the thing that really gets my goat with jay's most recent commentary is that he has changed his position and done it in lockstep with unc changing its position. specifically, the shift from "everyone has easy classes" nonsense to "the ncaa is operating outside of its jurisdiction" approach. both positions are not credible to me (and both hurt to hear come out of jay's mouth), but, putting that aside, why would an intelligent and independent-minded person be so synced up (in terms of message and timing) with the misinformation being put forward by unc?

i could rationalize away all of this, but even my most kind interpretation is that jay is not being objective here in sticking up for his friends and, by doing so, is doing wrong.

sorry to badger you - i'll leave it alone now!

budwom
02-20-2017, 09:06 AM
To me, Bilas's most egregious malfeasance came after the original notice of allegations when he repeatedly (and then more repeatedly) claimed that
unc basketball was not specifically named, when in fact it was. That wasn't a matter of opinion, it was a matter of fact, and he repeatedly chose to, what is the
correct term, lie?

rsvman
02-20-2017, 11:47 AM
To me, Bilas's most egregious malfeasance came after the original notice of allegations when he repeatedly (and then more repeatedly) claimed that
unc basketball was not specifically named, when in fact it was. That wasn't a matter of opinion, it was a matter of fact, and he repeatedly chose to, what is the
correct term, lie?

No. Not any more. The new term is "present alternate facts.":p

WiJoe
02-20-2017, 05:02 PM
LIES

NSDukeFan
02-20-2017, 08:18 PM
No. Not any more. The new term is "present alternate facts.":p

Isn't it now considered fake news?

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Did anyone else catch Sean McDonough getting in a dig on Bilas toward the end of regulation of the Miami UVA game? Doris Burke was blabbering as usual and making all kinds of dumb recommendations about how to improve college basketball, and McDonough said (I can't recall his exact that words)... "you want run college basketball like Bilas but you can't because that's his job." I laughed so hard I snorted out loud.

westwall
02-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Did anyone else catch Sean McDonough getting in a dig on Bilas toward the end of regulation of the Miami UVA game? Doris Burke was blabbering as usual and making all kinds of dumb recommendations about how to improve college basketball, and McDonough said (I can't recall his exact that words)... "you want run college basketball like Bilas but you can't because that's his job." I laughed so hard I snorted out loud.

Yeah, that's very close to Sean's quote. I laughed too.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Whoa! Anyone catch the awful closeup of Lunardi trying to talk around his combination horse/dracula teeth? My lord. I almost lost my dinner.

flyingdutchdevil
03-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Figured this is the best place to put this announcement: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/companies/espn-layoffs-talent/index.html

Bottomline - ESPN is going to make some serious talent cuts.

My list:
-Stephen A Smith
-Dickie V (it's time to retire, dude)
-Dana O'Neil
-Seth Greenberg
-Jay Williams (you were initially the most vocal about Grayson Allen. I can't forgive that)

kAzE
03-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Figured this is the best place to put this announcement: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/companies/espn-layoffs-talent/index.html

My list:
-Stephen A Smith
-Dana O'Neil
-Seth Greenberg
-Jay Williams (you were initially the most vocal about Grayson Allen. I can't forgive that)

That's a good wishlist, but I'm afraid they won't have the stomach to let Stephen A Smith go. He's one of the few guys who gets good viewership, because of his bombastic personality and extreme volume of hot takes. They need him.

Dickie V probably gets the lifetime achievement pass, unless they quietly push him to retire behind closed doors.

The other 3 are interesting . . . I think Jay is too well liked, and I would never wish a former Duke player to lose his job, but I agree that his stance on the whole Grayson debacle rubbed all Duke fans the wrong way. I think he tries way too hard to not seem like a homer, and he goes way too far in the other direction. Just try to be impartial, Jay, that's all we're asking for.

I would not mind if Greenberg and O'Neil get canned. Greenberg's analysis isn't even good. I honestly think several posters on this board know more about basketball than he does, and it appears that O'Neil just has no journalistic integrity at all. It might be the case that an editor was responsible for her egregious "Is Grayson Allen the Next Hated White Duke Player?" headline, but someone really screwed that one up bad. O'Neil doesn't fall under the "Talent" category though (I assume this means TV personalities), and probably doesn't get paid enough to really be in danger here.

devildeac
03-06-2017, 12:52 PM

My list:
-Stephen A Smith
-Dana O'Neil
-Seth Greenberg

Add: Beadle

rsvman
03-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Man, it wouls be great if they could get rid of Uncle Fester. He's a blathering idiot.

ESPN should know that as long as they keep him on board, they will always be on the bubble, and at last minute not invited to the dance. It's his legacy.

flyingdutchdevil
03-06-2017, 12:59 PM
That's a good wishlist, but I'm afraid they won't have the stomach to let Stephen A Smith go. He's one of the few guys who gets good viewership, because of his bombastic personality and extreme volume of hot takes. They need him.

Dickie V probably gets the lifetime achievement pass, unless they quietly push him to retire behind closed doors.

The other 3 are interesting . . . I think Jay is too well liked, and I would never wish a former Duke player to lose his job, but I agree that his stance on the whole Grayson debacle rubbed all Duke fans the wrong way. I think he tries way too hard to not seem like a homer, and he goes way too far in the other direction. Just try to be impartial, Jay, that's all we're asking for.

I would not mind if Greenberg and O'Neil get canned. Greenberg's analysis isn't even good. I honestly think several posters on this board know more about basketball than he does, and it appears that O'Neil just has no journalistic integrity at all. It might be the case that an editor was responsible for her egregious "Is Grayson Allen the Next Hated White Duke Player?" headline, but someone really screwed that one up bad. O'Neil doesn't fall under the "Talent" category though (I assume this means TV personalities), and probably doesn't get paid enough to really be in danger here.

You make good points. But if the point is cutting costs, Dickie V needs to go unless his salary is reduced to zero (the benefits of flying these announcers is very expensive as well).

And I agree that there is zero change S.A.S gets canned, even if he is the most annoying person on TV.

I think we differ on Williams. The dude is a millionaire many times over, so I don't feel bad for him losing a job. Also, he'll get picked up by another network sooner rather than later. Like you said, he's well-liked. I just hate the idea of announcers ripping on a 20-year old who made a bad mistake that isn't illegal and not a big deal in the whole scheme of things (compared to an egregious crime like robbery, domestic violence, etc). And in my mind, Jay Williams started that with his half-time rant during the Santa Ana game (don't know what the team is; just know the player).

duke4ever19
03-06-2017, 01:08 PM

My list:
-Stephen A Smith
-Dana O'Neil
-Seth Greenberg

Is this based on who you think will get walking papers, or is it more of a wish list?

Stephen A isn't going anywhere. As for the rest, a good argument could be made for their dismissal.

Dickie V is an interesting case. He is clearly past his prime, but they definitely couldn't just lump him in with 6-7 names without some backlash. They would have to handle his dismissal very carefully. They would essentially just have to talk him into walking away, but I think they give him one last year and then make a big to-do about his last year calling games at certain venues. I think he's perceived as that much of an institution.

flyingdutchdevil
03-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Is this based on who you think will get walking papers, or is it more of a wish list?

Stephen A isn't going anywhere. As for the rest, a good argument could be made for their dismissal.

Dickie V is an interesting case. He is clearly past his prime, but they definitely couldn't just lump him in with 6-7 names without some backlash. They would have to handle his dismissal very carefully. They would essentially just have to talk him into walking away, but I think they give him one last year and then make a big to-do about his last year calling games at certain venues. I think he's perceived as that much of an institution.

Wish list.

kAzE
03-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Add: Beadle

Absolutely . . . she's the WORST. But I think we're going to run into the same issue here as SAS. She obviously has a strong following (I don't know why), and that will probably keep her around, as long as she gets the ratings.

Ratings and clicks. That's what ESPN cares about.

Olympic Fan
03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
I wish clicking around Sunday and caught Doug Gottlieb providing color on the Navy-Bucknell game (the semifinals of the Patriot Tournament).

He went off on a foul call -- two guys in the post, one with the ball, one defending. The guy with the ball goes up -- a lot of body contact, but what draws the foul is the defender reaching out with his arms (about a 45 degree angle from his body).

Gottfried blows up, arguing that under the principle of verticality rule, you are allowed to reach out with your arms as long as your body is vertical!

Nothing gets my goat more than announcers who don't know the rules, then pontificate as if they did. Len Elmore is the all-time champ in this category, but Gottfried's goof is a classic.

rsvman
03-06-2017, 04:28 PM
....Gottfried's goof is a classic.

Gottfried is alarmingly un-intellectual.

What I'm trying to say is that Gottfried is a freakin' idjit.

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Dickie V deserves a Retirement tour of some sort, I believe. The man is an ICON who helped define the ESPN brand regardless of how much he blathers on currently.

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Absolutely . . . she's the WORST. But I think we're going to run into the same issue here as SAS. She obviously has a strong following (I don't know why), and that will probably keep her around, as long as she gets the ratings.

Ratings and clicks. That's what ESPN cares about.

Is that sarcasm? Or are you just not aware she is insanely hott (still - to many a viewer).

kAzE
03-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Is that sarcasm? Or are you just not aware she is insanely hott (still - to many a viewer).

I don't typically objectify female TV personalities, but even before I hated her, I didn't think she was THAT attractive. I think "insanely hott" might be overstating it just a tad. I think spouting stupidity on a daily basis makes people less attractive, but that might just be me.

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't typically objectify female TV personalities, but even before I hated her, I didn't think she was THAT attractive. I think "insanely hott" might be overstating it just a tad. I think spouting stupidity on a daily basis makes people less attractive, but that might just be me.

I would agree with the bolded part, but honestly, I had to look her up to even know who she is. But some of the pics that popped up? Oh my. ESPN doesn't have any issue with objectification (let's be honest) and certainly promoted Beadle based on her looks, without doubt.

This link (http://i.imgur.com/5uv92o2.jpg?1)IS suitable for work, and is an example of how they promoted her based on looks (or at least her legs).

As for "insanely" hott part, perhaps some of the pics that popped were of her before her time at ESPN.

rsvman
03-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Christine Leahy is better looking. IMO.

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 05:14 PM

I think I have to look her up also. Is she also on ESPN?

I think I pretty much ignore whoever is reading the news to me. Are Beadle and Leahy sportscenter personalities?

devildeac
03-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Christine or Kristine?

Asking for a friend...

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 05:19 PM

I think I pretty much ignore whoever is reading the news to me. Are Beadle and Leahy sportscenter personalities?

I am clueless. Leahy is from ANW? I've watched the last few seasons and her name and the two guys at the top of the broadcast booth I've never had enough interest in knowing.

And evidently it's Kristine with a K

Other than the play by play and color commentators, for the most part I don't know who any of them are. (Male or female) Sideline reporters? Forget it. I have no clue other than Erin Andrews. And that's only because of DWTS.

Indoor66
03-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Dickie V deserves a Retirement tour of some sort, I believe. The man is an ICON who helped define the ESPN brand regardless of how much he blathers on currently.

Dickie V has been on a retirement tour for about five years!😈👺😎

kAzE
03-06-2017, 05:37 PM
I guess not everyone here remembers Michelle's finest moments, so here's a refresher:

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/michelle-beadle-knock-out-grayson-allen/

Michelle Beadle, advocating violence against amateur athletes on national TV since 2016.

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 05:42 PM
I guess not everyone here remembers Michelle's finest moments, so here's a refresher:

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/michelle-beadle-knock-out-grayson-allen/

Michelle Beadle, advocating violence against amateur athletes on national TV since 2016.

Oh! That was HER????? Knock her off the air!!!

Totally irresponsible, inflammatory and dangerous. She should have been suspended at the very least. Other on-air personalities have been for less. I had never seen this before and I don't watch espn shows very often, other than the college basketball shows.

But to prove my earlier point about why she's on the air, this is the first comment currently showing on the page you linked:

shes never been more attractive to me

Pghdukie
03-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Kristine Leahy works with Colin Coward. They have an afternoon show based in LA. Seen on Fox Sports 1. She's an attractive girl that basically has to take a backseat to Coward. Some things she's up on (Lakers,Clips, etc) Other sports she's not that adverse.

Clay Feet POF
03-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Plus Tax

Clay Feet POF
03-06-2017, 11:14 PM

Nope FS1 and also with Colin C. More than a pretty Face.

CoachJ10
03-08-2017, 08:14 PM
In todays's game, Tim Brando was absolutley shameful in his diatribe directed at Grayson after he received the questionable foul call and technical. It was as if he took glee in talking down about a kid. I was disappointed that the G man not only didn't try to rein in Brando's obnoxious rhetoric, but softly helped push the narrative.

Have we ever seen the media take such pleasure in browbeating a college kid, who's only crime (at best) is caring a little too much about the game? It really is shameful how these "grownups" in the media are behaving.

Reilly
03-08-2017, 08:29 PM
... Dickie V is an interesting case. He is clearly past his prime, but they definitely couldn't just lump him in with 6-7 names without some backlash. They would have to handle his dismissal very carefully. They would essentially just have to talk him into walking away, but I think they give him one last year and then make a big to-do about his last year calling games at certain venues. I think he's perceived as that much of an institution.

My idea: let Dickie V coach a h.s. team close to his Sarasota home for 2017-18 and make it a documentary series. Tryouts. Tearful cuts. Opening night. Let him really teach kids -- hoops and life lessons. Let him finish where he began.

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 11:14 PM
In todays's game, Tim Brando was absolutley shameful in his diatribe directed at Grayson after he received the questionable foul call and technical. It was as if he took glee in talking down about a kid. I was disappointed that the G man not only didn't try to rein in Brando's obnoxious rhetoric, but softly helped push the narrative.

Have we ever seen the media take such pleasure in browbeating a college kid, who's only crime (at best) is caring a little too much about the game? It really is shameful how these "grownups" in the media are behaving.

Agreed, I actually switched from the ACC network to ESPN at halftime after being told in DBR chat that ESPN wasn't making a big deal about it.

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 11:17 PM
My idea: let Dickie V coach a h.s. team close to his Sarasota home for 2017-18 and make it a documentary series. Tryouts. Tearful cuts. Opening night. Let him really teach kids -- hoops and life lessons. Let him finish where he began.

What a phenomenal idea!

That would be super-scintillating!

Seriously...

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 11:48 PM
UVA vs. Pitt

UVA's Kyle Guy falls to the floor.

Announcer: "Three buns on the floor."

Corny, but I laughed. Must be the alcohol. I can't watch UVA play without alcohol.

ingrjc1
03-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Agreed, I actually switched from the ACC network to ESPN at halftime after being told in DBR chat that ESPN wasn't making a big deal about it.

I switched over to espn also. Everyone sees GA through their own lens, but I don't think anyone can doubt that no other college kid has endured so much from so little. In retrospective, I think some in the media will be ashamed and regret their part in this. I hope so anyway. Sad for GA. Any other player does what he did yesterday after the weak 2nd foul call and no technical foul will be called. Even espn media agreed to that yesterday. I lost a lot of respect for Mike G this year. He has been very hard on GA all year.

jv001
03-09-2017, 01:49 PM
I switched over to espn also. Everyone sees GA through their own lens, but I don't think anyone can doubt that no other college kid has endured so much from so little. In retrospective, I think some in the media will be ashamed and regret their part in this. I hope so anyway. Sad for GA. Any other player does what he did yesterday after the weak 2nd foul call and no technical foul will be called. Even espn media agreed to that yesterday. I lost a lot of respect for Mike G this year. He has been very hard on GA all year.

I think the G-Man has been off his game this season. I used to like G-Man teamed with Brando but both have not been my favorite announcers this season. GoDuke!

AtlDuke72
03-09-2017, 01:54 PM
I tried to watch Virginia Tech and Wake last night. Just could not do it with Doris Burke talking the whole time. Mute helped. If she does the next games I will just sit out until the NCAA and hope that she is elsewhere.

duke4ever19
03-09-2017, 05:25 PM
"When did a shot become a look?"

I don't know, Jay, but I'll pay you to stop bringing it up.

kAzE
03-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure most people still call it a shot. Also, nobody says "going downhill" instead of "driving in to the paint." Just you, Jay.

It's like he sets that up so he can make call backs to it later in the broadcast. Jay is humorous at times, but that's just trying too hard.

BandAlum83
03-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Hey, Jay and whatever your name is, did you notice Frank Jackson just got called for his 3rd 1st half foul while you blathered on about stuff that is meaningless to the game?

No? Maybe you should watch the game you're getting paid to watch.

duke4ever19
03-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Hahaha, I'm pretty sure most people still call it a shot. Also, nobody uses "going downhill" in place of "driving in to the paint." Just you, Jay.

Really strange color commentary . . .

Yeah, I usually hear the term "running downhill" applied running backs in football, not in basketball.

But hey, he's around announcers all the time, so maybe it's leaked into roundball talk now. Now I'll be listening for it in every game. Thanks, Jay.

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Thank God for my mute button.

JStuart
03-09-2017, 06:02 PM
And that is why I've depended on Bob Harris over the years. Thank goodness he gets one more Duke-unc game to announce!
JStuart

TruBlu
03-09-2017, 06:46 PM
And that is why I've depended on Bob Harris over the years. Thank goodness he gets one more Duke-unc game to announce!
JStuart

Maybe two more.

weezie
03-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Suggest we take up a collection and mail it to him. In pennies. Sorry, I meant to reference duke19 saying he would pat Bilas to shut the hell up about shots and looks.

JStuart
03-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Maybe two more.

This one was fabulous...yes, I muted the TV and listened to Bob!
How sweet it is!
So glad he got to announce this one. What a game!
JStuart

Olympic Fan
03-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Speaking of announcers, I've been watching Bill Walton tonight in the Arizona-UCLA game.

As always, Ol' Bill is so bad that he's good.

Tonight, he's quoting Winnie the Pooh: Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?

It was oddly appropriate for the moment

weezie
03-11-2017, 01:32 AM
Yeah me too Oly. Az looking mighty tough.

Matches
03-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Sorry if this was covered somewhere else and I missed it, but...

Did anyone else hear the ACC Network announcers over the weekend repeatedly - as in, during multiple games - discuss how this was Amile Jefferson's first ACC Tournament Final?

... because it wasn't. And it's kind of weird that the announcers would think it was.

arnie
03-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Sorry if this was covered somewhere else and I missed it, but...

Did anyone else hear the ACC Network announcers over the weekend repeatedly - as in, during multiple games - discuss how this was Amile Jefferson's first ACC Tournament Final?

... because it wasn't. And it's kind of weird that the announcers would think it was.

Yes and G-man continually misidentified players. Bomzi drove around Matt for a layup and G-Man called Amile for the lapse. Wouldn't have thought much about it, but they showed the replay and he called out Amile again. Brando never had a clue, but surprised G-Man struggled. Guess it's age🌘

gam7
03-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Announcers for first round games: http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-basketball/2017/3/12/14903330/ncaa-tournament-2017-game-times-tv-schedule-announcers

The Greenville broadcast team is Brian Anderson (who I don't think I've ever heard of before), Chris Webber and Lewis Johnson. I think Webber and Johnson are solid (though this board probably hates them because this board seems to hate all announcers).

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Announcers for first round games: http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-basketball/2017/3/12/14903330/ncaa-tournament-2017-game-times-tv-schedule-announcers

The Greenville broadcast team is Brian Anderson (who I don't think I've ever heard of before), Chris Webber and Lewis Johnson. I think Webber and Johnson are solid (though this board probably hates them because this board seems to hate all announcers).

Nah. We are not limited to announcers with that hate.😂😎

SCMatt33
03-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Anderson has done NCAA work wor several years now with Turner, though I'm not sure we ever had him at one of our sites. You may be familiar with him from MLB playoff games on TBS if you watch any baseball.

As for the crew, I'm just glad we weren't stuck with Elmore, having to hear 40 minutes about how our legs must be tired on every missed jumper after playing 4 games a week ago.

gam7
03-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Anderson has done NCAA work wor several years now with Turner, though I'm not sure we ever had him at one of our sites. You may be familiar with him from MLB playoff games on TBS if you watch any baseball.

As for the crew, I'm just glad we weren't stuck with Elmore, having to hear 40 minutes about how our legs must be tired on every missed jumper after playing 4 games a week ago.

2/3 of our announcing crew are doing today's First Four games. Anderson and Johnson are there with Kellogg instead of Webber. (A CBS site listed Webber with Anderson and Johnson, but it's Kellogg. I wonder whether Kellogg was a late replacement for Webber. Perhaps Webber was on the East Coast and stranded by the blizzard?)

And in the spirit of this thread: I do recognize Brian Anderson's voice. And I have never particularly cared for it. And thank goodness we won't have any "squeezing the orange" for our games.

Reilly
03-14-2017, 08:09 PM
... And thank goodness we won't have any "squeezing the orange" for our games.

Listening with one ear for only a few minutes and have already heard "dropping dimes" ... "squeeze the orange" ... and just got (for a player named Frye) "Frye is sizzling."

It's like Clark took an extra dork pill.

MChambers
03-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Webber is pleasant enough, but he really doesn't have insights. And the play-by-play guy is worse.

Atlanta Duke
03-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Webber is pleasant enough, but he really doesn't have insights. And the play-by-play guy is worse.

Which becomes an issue when whoever is producing the broadcast wants to show off their artistry with the floor level and views from the other end of the court camera shots

-jk
03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Which becomes an issue when whoever is producing the broadcast wants to show off their artistry with the floor level and views from the other end of the court camera shots

Yeah - I really like the straight up angles...

-jk

elvis14
03-19-2017, 11:12 AM

I don't need much from announcers. If they are doing a good job, I hardly notice them at all. So, no Webber didn't offer insights but I don't need them anyway. After all the haters we get, I didn't notice these two much which was fine by me.

arnie
03-19-2017, 05:45 PM
I've always been a huge fan of Dan Bonner - he's calling the Kansas game now. Describes the specifics of players and plats, doesn't do the Bilas garbage thing or tell us how smart he is. Really refreshing, but they don't need 3 in the booth.

Turk
03-24-2017, 05:22 PM
During the Duke / USC rock fight, I was able to tune out Chris Webber's commentary, because I am familiar enough with Duke to not need much help from the announcers. I was annoyed with Webber, but there was enough else to be annoyed about that he really didn't get very high on the list. (The Young Turks turned the triteness into a running joke all week: "Hey Dad, did you know Greenville is 100 miles away from Columbia?")

Fast forward to last night Zags vs WVU, and Webber is the color guy (I don't even know who the play-by-play guy is - some generic Guy Smiley). As I was not really invested in either team, I just tried to enjoy the game (at least the competitiveness and effort, even if Huggy Bear doesn't want anyone playing flowy hoops). I think I found my new Most Awful Announcer - congratulations Chris Webber! While he has a superb vocabulary and a smooth delivery, Webber is a cliche-spouting Tim-McCarver-style second-guesser that added nothing of value to to the telecast. Whatever basketball expertise he acquired at Michigan and the NBA is well-hidden underneath layers and layers of inanity.

The good news is that he should only have one more game left to do in the tournament. I will watch Zags / Xavier with anticipation, not only for the chance to see a mid major go to the final four, but also to share Webber's most ridiculous comments with my adoring DBR readership. "As always, you're welcome!"

sagegrouse
03-24-2017, 06:04 PM
During the Duke / USC rock fight, I was able to tune out Chris Webber's commentary, because I am familiar enough with Duke to not need much help from the announcers. I was annoyed with Webber, but there was enough else to be annoyed about that he really didn't get very high on the list. (The Young Turks turned the triteness into a running joke all week: "Hey Dad, did you know Greenville is 100 miles away from Columbia?")

Fast forward to last night Zags vs WVU, and Webber is the color guy (I don't even know who the play-by-play guy is - some generic Guy Smiley). As I was not really invested in either team, I just tried to enjoy the game (at least the competitiveness and effort, even if Huggy Bear doesn't want anyone playing flowy hoops). I think I found my new Most Awful Announcer - congratulations Chris Webber! While he has a superb vocabulary and a smooth delivery, Webber is a cliche-spouting Tim-McCarver-style second-guesser that added nothing of value to to the telecast. Whatever basketball expertise he acquired at Michigan and the NBA is well-hidden underneath layers and layers of inanity.

The good news is that he should only have one more game left to do in the tournament. I will watch Zags / Xavier with anticipation, not only for the chance to see a mid major go to the final four, but also to share Webber's most ridiculous comments with my adoring DBR readership. "As always, you're welcome!"

I don't have a solution, but I think I have defined the problem: "Less is more" on TV announcing, and it isn't happening on college basketball broadcasts. There is too much talking, and the play-by-play guy/gal and the analyst seem to compete to ensure there is no quiet interval whatever. "Quiet" is a good when there is a live telecast; moreover, commentators have a limited amount of wisdom to impart, so extra words add nothing.

What is the ideal? It someone else's example but here's a supposed TV broadcast of a Packers play by the legendary Ray Scott back in the day: "Starr [Bart]. Dowler [Boyd]. Touchdown."

Once, also years and years ago in the last game of the 1980 regular season, NBC executive Don Ohlmeyer decided to do an "announcerless game." The broadcast got higher ratings, but the experiment was never repeated. I can't find the direct quote, but I believe it was Dick Enberg who said he watched the game and decided he needed to say less during the broadcast and allow more "quiet time."

There is no evidence of "quiet time" today in college basketball telecasts.

duke4ever19
03-24-2017, 06:16 PM
I don't have a solution, but I think I have defined the problem: "Less is more" on TV announcing, and it isn't happening on college basketball broadcasts. There is too much talking, and the play-by-play guy/gal and the analyst seem to compete to ensure there is no quiet interval whatever.

What is the ideal? It someone else's example but here's a supposed TV broadcast of a Packers game by the legendary Ray Scott back in the day: "Starr . Dowler [Boyd]. Touchdown."

Once, also years and years ago in the last game of the 1980 regular season NBC executive Don Ohlmeyer decided to do an "announcerless game." The broadcast gor higher ratings, but the experiment was never repeated. I can't find the direct quote, but I believe it was [B]Dick Enberg who said he watched the game and decided he needed to say less during the broadcast and allow more "quiet time."

There is no evidence of "quiet time" today in college basketball telecasts.

When I think of Dick Enberg, I always think of the fine job he did covering Wimbledon for NBC and, a bit later, the US Open for CBS.

I like the way tennis matches are commentated, because there is less talking, but I think the frequent stoppages in tennis and the need for quiet during serves dictates a more sparse commentary, but a more pleasing rhythm between sound and silence. The English say even barely anything during their coverage of the tennis opens.

Karl Beem
03-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Knight is gone, G-man seems to have slipped, Bonner is good - I *love* Spanarkel.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Webber killed me talking about how Duke plays great D and fills passing lanes. Like his Duke knowledge was from his playing days.

AtlDuke72
03-26-2017, 11:36 AM

If you really want to make yourself miserable, try listening to Doris Burke announcing a Connecticut women's game when they are ahead by 40 points !

Henderson
03-26-2017, 12:16 PM
If you really want to make yourself miserable, try listening to Doris Burke announcing a Connecticut women's game when they are ahead by 40 points !

Why in the world would a person want to watch a UConn women's game when they are up by 40?

Indoor66
03-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Why in the world would a person want to watch a UConn women's game when they are up by 40?

Or at all?

Pghdukie
03-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Or at all?

Because I gave 39.5 points for a c-note !

Turk
03-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Because a neighbor / co-worker / friend-of-a-friend's kid is a walk-on and might get some garbage time?

SoCalDukeFan
03-26-2017, 11:15 PM

Try any game any circumstance with Bill Walton. I truly think living on the West Coast is the best for sports, mostly because of the time zone. But we get so much of Walton he may negate the advantage.

SoCal