PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke Wendell Carter!

BullBlue
11-23-2016, 09:09 AM
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/801425052969222144

dukebluesincebirth
11-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Carter. Wendell Carter. BOOM!!

Sixthman
11-23-2016, 09:14 AM

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Dukehky
11-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Hey Mr. Carter
Tell me where have you been
They been asking they been searching
They been wondering why.

BOOM!!! Capel continues to roll.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the family, Wendell!!

Bluedevil114
11-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Hey Mr. Carter
They been wondering why.

Coach K continues to roll also. Now we have Trent and Carter to recruit Mr. Knox and Mr. Coleman. Then we focus on Bamba.

gam7
11-23-2016, 09:22 AM

He chooses Duke University? I was just getting used to the University of Duke...

He is very active, and cleans up messes on both ends of the court. He will blend in really well ... with the 3 scholarship players that we will have returning.

Steven43
11-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Hey Mr. Carter
They been wondering why.

Don't minimize or forget the fact that the head coach--and by far the most important person associated with Duke Basketball--is Mike Krzyzewski.

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Is he gonna show up in the Ferrari? If so, it needs a new paint job. :cool:

CrazyNotCrazie
11-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Very excited - he seems like exactly our type and will be a great addition. Now let's just make sure there are no leg, foot or ankle injuries. And I learned something new today - it is Wen-Dell (like the computer), not Wen-dull (like Roy)

Billy Dat
11-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Happy Thanksgiving! Welcome to Duke, Wendell! We on the EK Board look forward to debating your potential minutes, hope to never have a vigil in your honor and look forward to you joining the recruiting effort for your fellow classmates.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2016, 09:29 AM
not Wen-dull (like Roy)

That post is gonna be hard to beat today.

ricks68
11-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Finally! So now his signature on my hat that I got over a year and a half ago is valid. I have sweated out being a jinx all that time
😯

ricks

G man
11-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Great way to start the day. He will be a great fit.

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Biiiiiiig fan of carter. Two way player. Has a middie. Developed body. Amazing get.

Capel - you're a stud! Please don't leave Duke.

DavidBenAkiva
11-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Carter might be the post player with the highest upside Duke has ever recruited. He is BIG - 6'10," 250-260 pounds (but not considered flabby) with long arms - a 7'5" wingspan (Chase Jeter, for comparison is 6'10" with a 7'1.5" wingspan). He can play with his back to the basket, makes hook shots with both arms, or he can step out to make a jump shot from the midrange. He has been known to make 3 point shots in EYBL and for the US National Team. While he is quick, he doesn't have that overwhelming explosiveness that might have propelled him to the #1 recruiting ranking. Still, he is noted for a high basketball IQ and plays with intensity on both sides of the court. The kid had an NBA ready body a couple of years ago. I think he's going to be extremely successful in college, the focal point of the Duke offense, and has the potential for a very successful career in basketball and in life.

rsvman
11-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Welcome! Thanks for joining the family. Looking forward to seeing you play in a Duke uniform. (No injuries, please.):cool:

ChillinDuke
11-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Welcome to Duke, Wendell!

Seems like a grounded guy with a good family. Values education. Makes a whole lot of sense that he'd pick Duke.

- Chillin

moonpie23
11-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the family.... !!!!!!! Great announcement...

SkyBrickey
11-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Having watched Wendell play probably a dozen times over the past 3 years, here are some things beyond the obvious that I know Duke fans will love about his game:

- Even playing against much inferior competition, he doesn't force things. He keeps his teammates involved and let's the game flow through him and around him.

- He has excellent form and touch on his shot. Not suggesting he'll step in shooting 3s like a Laetner or Ferry his freshman year, but he can shoot the 3 and will be very solid with midrange jumpers and from the foul line.

- He's a skilled ball handler and likes to start the break. This doesn't always translate to college, but I predict it will for him and Coach will give him the freedom to grab a longer defensive rebound and push to halfcourt with a couple of dribbles before finding Luke, Frank or Gary in motion.

Welcome to Duke, Wendell! It may only be for 1 year but you can come back for your degree like many have done, and you'll part of the Duke family forever.

kAzE
11-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Love the way he announced. Just seems like a Duke kid.

Welcome to Duke!!!

BD80
11-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Got a feeling we will see some more awesome videos from this young man - he's got panache! Uncle Drew had better watch out!

I've gotten to the point where the announcements of one-and-done players isn't as gratifying as it was when stars would be here for three or four years and get a degree.

With Wendell, I have high confidence that he will get a Duke degree, and this announcement has that heightened level of gratification.

Welcome Wendell!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Welcome to Duke, Wendell Carter! LGD GTHc!

NSDukeFan
11-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Yay! Hugely exciting news. Glad to hear people seem to think he will be a great representative of the university and awesome player. Sounds like he will be easy to cheer for.

brlftz
11-23-2016, 01:04 PM
From the descriptions here, offensively he sounds like a more inside oriented Jabari, and defensively an even bigger Elton. Nice.

ItalianDevil
11-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Wonderful catch by our coaches. He reminds me of Brand and (pardon me) also of a certain Olajuwon (see:footwork). I'm impressed by his shooting touch and passing skills the most. Go Duke, welcome Wen-dell :)

gam7
11-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Got a feeling we will see some more awesome videos from this young man - he's got panache! Uncle Drew had better watch out!

I've gotten to the point where the announcements of one-and-done players isn't as gratifying as it was when stars would be here for three or four years and get a degree.

With Wendell, I have high confidence that he will get a Duke degree, and this announcement has that heightened level of gratification.

Welcome Wendell!

He can be quotable and does answer questions in a different way than you might have come to expect from elite high school players. I also predict that there will be some potentially uncomfortable, foot-in-mouth, "kids say the darnedest things" moments from Wendell. Things like, his quote that all that matters to recruits is how hot the girls are, and early in his recruitment, I recall him answering a question about Jeff Capel and his thinking that Capel was an assistant with Kentucky. He's a trip.

westwall
11-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Welcome to Duke, Wendell Carter! LGD GTHc!

Whew! Our patience has been rewarded. Welcome, Wendell!

duke74
11-23-2016, 05:37 PM
He can be quotable and does answer questions in a different way than you might have come to expect from elite high school players. I also predict that there will be some potentially uncomfortable, foot-in-mouth, "kids say the darnedest things" moments from Wendell. Things like, his quote that all that matters to recruits is how hot the girls are, and early in his recruitment, I recall him answering a question about Jeff Capel and his thinking that Capel was an assistant with Kentucky. He's a trip.

Pretend one is a 17 or 18 year old kid...seems logical to me. And truthful (all else being reasonably equal). :)

One of the reasons I selected Duke over Brown - a February 1970 visit. Girls in T-shirts and shorts vs. winter parkas. Seemed totally logical to me. Still can't believe my mom bought it though...

DukeBBJunkies
11-23-2016, 05:39 PM
DraftExpress has Wendell going 4th overall in their 2018 Mock Draft. Not too shabby.

Nice to see he follows Gary Trent Jr, Jeff Capel, USA Basketball, and Grayson Allen on twitter. The only NBA player he follows in Anthony Davis, so I'm guessing his plan is to be as good as he is.

Steven43
11-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Carter might be the post player with the highest upside Duke has ever recruited. He is BIG - 6'10," 250-260 pounds (but not considered flabby) with long arms - a 7'5" wingspan (Chase Jeter, for comparison is 6'10" with a 7'1.5" wingspan). He can play with his back to the basket, makes hook shots with both arms, or he can step out to make a jump shot from the midrange. He has been known to make 3 point shots in EYBL and for the US National Team. While he is quick, he doesn't have that overwhelming explosiveness that might have propelled him to the #1 recruiting ranking. Still, he is noted for a high basketball IQ and plays with intensity on both sides of the court. The kid had an NBA ready body a couple of years ago. I think he's going to be extremely successful in college, the focal point of the Duke offense, and has the potential for a very successful career in basketball and in life.
Sounds like you are describing Jahlil Okafor, minus the outside shot. Can Carter really shoot or are you setting us up?

Newton_14
11-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Not to rat-hole us, just wanted to point out the very first reply from @TheDraftReview is an awful, bigoted comment. People in this day an age never cease to amaze me anymore.

At any rate, welcome to Duke Carter, Wendell Carter. Looks like an awesome young man! Can't wait to see him in a Duke uniform.

Go Duke.

gam7
11-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Pretend one is a 17 or 18 year old kid...seems logical to me. And truthful (all else being reasonably equal). :)

One of the reasons I selected Duke over Brown - a February 1970 visit. Girls in T-shirts and shorts vs. winter parkas. Seemed totally logical to me. Still can't believe my mom bought it though...

Oh, I don't have a problem with that at all. It's just that you don't usually hear elite recruits tell it to interviewers on the record.

Didn't intend to call into question his decision-making or character. He just tends to be a bit more colorful and unfiltered thagn your usual elite recruit.

Sounds like you are describing Jahlil Okafor, minus the outside shot. Can Carter really shoot or are you setting us up?

He's big but not as powerful as Jah. Like Jah, he is very skilled, but is not the straight up back to the basket player Jah was. Wendell relies a bit more on being crafty and generally active on both ends. There will be a lot of times where you say to yourself, "geez, Carter is all over the place." And yes, he looks comfortable shooting out to about 15 feet, and has a nice baseline turnaround jumper. Who knows how much he'll use it (e.g., Embiid and Anthony Davis could shoot it a bit, but didn't do it much in college).

Dukehky
11-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Oh, I don't have a problem with that at all. It's just that you don't usually hear elite recruits tell it to interviewers on the record.

Didn't intend to call into question his decision-making or character. He just tends to be a bit more colorful and unfiltered thagn your usual elite recruit.

He's big but not as powerful as Jah. Like Jah, he is very skilled, but is not the straight up back to the basket player Jah was. Wendell relies a bit more on being crafty and generally active on both ends. There will be a lot of times where you say to yourself, "geez, Carter is all over the place." And yes, he looks comfortable shooting out to about 15 feet, and has a nice baseline turnaround jumper. Who knows how much he'll use it (e.g., Embiid and Anthony Davis could shoot it a bit, but didn't do it much in college).

Jah was a generational talent. Carter is good, but if you're expecting Jah-like performances, you're going to be disappointed.

I love the NBA but I hate that people think our boy is useless there.

gam7
11-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Jah was a generational talent. Carter is good, but if you're expecting Jah-like performances, you're going to be disappointed.

I am not expecting that. I was responding to a quote from Steven43 comparing Wendell to Carter. They are very different players.

elvis14
11-24-2016, 01:31 PM

I'm very excited that Carter is coming to Duke. I don't know when our recruiting success will drop off some so I'm not taking anything for granted. Always happy and grateful when recruits come to Duke to play.

As for Jah, his offense is fantastic. It was great when he got to Duke. Was even better when he left. At the same time, he defense in the NBA is really bad and needs to improve if he/we want people judge him as being more useful.

Spanarkel
11-24-2016, 02:03 PM

Carter is so much better than "good." I don't think Duke fans will be disappointed in his contributions. I think DavidBenAkiva's summary of Carter's skills is right on.

ArtVandelay
11-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Do folks see him as a 4 or 5 next year? I have only seen/read little bits about his game. It seems like he surely has the size/skills to be a college center, but I wonder whether he is too big to guard college 4s. I ask because we presumably will have a Jr. Chase and Jr. Vrank who (hopefully) can give us useful minutes in the middle next year but no PFs after Amile graduates and Tatum and Giles bolt for the NBA. Could Chase and Wendell start together in the front court?

Anyway, excited for this get, and the 2017 class is really starting to shape up nicely, which seems like it will be critical if we want to maintain our high level of success next season after the likely mass exodus.

tdrake51
11-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Do folks see him as a 4 or 5 next year? I have only seen/read little bits about his game. It seems like he surely has the size/skills to be a college center, but I wonder whether he is too big to guard college 4s. I ask because we presumably will have a Jr. Chase and Jr. Vrank who (hopefully) can give us useful minutes in the middle next year but no PFs after Amile graduates and Tatum and Giles bolt for the NBA. Could Chase and Wendell start together in the front court?

Anyway, excited for this get, and the 2017 class is really starting to shape up nicely, which seems like it will be critical if we want to maintain our high level of success next season after the likely mass exodus.

I have been thinking about this as well. I think he is more naturally a 4, but could play either. My concern with Wendell playing the 5 would be the lack of rim protection.

plimnko
11-25-2016, 11:37 AM
I have been thinking about this as well. I think he is more naturally a 4, but could play either. My concern with Wendell playing the 5 would be the lack of rim protection.

i don't think you'll have to worry THAT much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6c5rOPzSQ

53n206
11-25-2016, 11:37 AM

What do they say in that movie? "Trust in force" or "
The force is with us". We too must trust in the force(our coaches and recruiters).

tdrake51
11-25-2016, 11:44 AM
i don't think you'll have to worry THAT much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6c5rOPzSQ

He does show flashes of being able to protect the rim. His wingspan is impressive.

NSDukeFan
11-25-2016, 11:46 AM

With a 7'5" wingspan, lack of rim protection at the college level shouldn't be an issue. If he is skilled enough offensively and quick enough defensively to play the 4 (if Duke had positions), even better.

tbyers11
11-25-2016, 11:51 AM
What do they say in that movie? "Trust in force" or "
The force is with us". We too must trust in the force(our coaches and recruiters).

Agree. Especially since we don't know, and won't know until April/May, exactly what our roster will look like next year.

JasonEvans
11-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Agree. Especially since we don't know, and won't know until April/May, exactly what our roster will look like next year.

I would be beyond shocked if Vrank, Jeter, Delaurier, and White (not including walk-ons) were not on the team next season. Carter and Trent are obviously coming. I'd say there is a very strong chance Kennard is back (he's played well so far, but his stock will dip as Tatum eats into his minutes plus I can't see him leaving to be a mid-2nd round draft pick). If our starting lineup is Kennard, Trent, White, Carter, and Jeter with Delaurier and Vrank coming off the bench then we thin in terms of depth, but I suspect we are still a top 10-15 team. Adding just 2 of Jackson (I think there is a less than 50% chance he turns pro), Bamba, Knox, or Duval makes us a strong national title contender again. Add a third of those guys (and there is a chance we have all 4 of them) and we are again preseason #1. Oh, and the experts say Bolden is not a lock to turn pro after one year either.

-Jason "future so bright... thanks for being a part of it, Mr. Carter!" Evans

DavidBenAkiva
11-25-2016, 12:09 PM

Consider the roster for next season. Duke will have, at minimum, Chase Jeter, Javin DeLaurier, and Antonio Vrankovic. We may even have Marques Bolden or Mohamed Bamba, but let's focus on who we know will be in Durham. I couldn't think of better complements to Wendell Carter than Jeter and DeLaurier. Are we facing a big frontcourt? Throw out Carter and Jeter to match size. Are we facing a shorter team or a frontcourt with quick forwards? Throw out Carter and DeLaurier. Jeter and DeLaurier have both show a knack for rim protection thus far against guards and post players alike. I am not worried about Duke's abilities around the rim in 2017-18.

Kedsy
11-25-2016, 12:31 PM
I would be beyond shocked if Vrank, Jeter, Delaurier, and White (not including walk-ons) were not on the team next season. Carter and Trent are obviously coming. I'd say there is a very strong chance Kennard is back (he's played well so far, but his stock will dip as Tatum eats into his minutes plus I can't see him leaving to be a mid-2nd round draft pick). If our starting lineup is Kennard, Trent, White, Carter, and Jeter with Delaurier and Vrank coming off the bench then we thin in terms of depth, but I suspect we are still a top 10-15 team. Adding just 2 of Jackson (I think there is a less than 50% chance he turns pro), Bamba, Knox, or Duval makes us a strong national title contender again. Add a third of those guys (and there is a chance we have all 4 of them) and we are again preseason #1. Oh, and the experts say Bolden is not a lock to turn pro after one year either.

You forgot O'Connell.

ArtVandelay
11-25-2016, 02:42 PM

Says the guy who projected 37 (38?) wins and 7 games with 100+ points! Love your optimism, Jason. Personally, I find it hard to rank that starting rotation (the one without Jackson or any other recruits) as top 10 nationally given that Kennard is really the only player of that group that we've, ya know, actually seen play meaningful collegiate minutes. But hope springs eternal that those 7 are not our actual rotation next year.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this into a thread about next season's team given that this one is barely off the ground. I really was just curious if folks saw Wendell as a legit collegiate 4 given that I'm thinking that will be his position at the next level.

BD80
11-25-2016, 02:54 PM
... I really was just curious if folks saw Wendell as a legit collegiate 4 given that I'm thinking that will be his position at the next level.

I believe that Wendell considers himself a legit collegiate 4, and the staff is heavily recruiting a legit collegiate 5 with the expectation that they would start together.

Dukehky
11-25-2016, 05:43 PM
I believe that Wendell considers himself a legit collegiate 4, and the staff is heavily recruiting a legit collegiate 5 with the expectation that they would start together.

No way. Wendell's bread is buttered on the low block. That dude is a center in college and was undoubtedly recruited as such.

If I'm wrong, please show me where I'm wrong, and Wendell saying that he can step out and hit shots does not count, because Amile and Lance both came in saying that they were stretch 4's. They are not.

bob blue devil
11-25-2016, 06:08 PM
No way. Wendell's bread is buttered on the low block. That dude is a center in college and was undoubtedly recruited as such.

If I'm wrong, please show me where I'm wrong, and Wendell saying that he can step out and hit shots does not count, because Amile and Lance both came in saying that they were stretch 4's. They are not.

i don't follow you here - are you arguing that hitting an outside jumper is a prerequisite to play "the 4"? because, if you are, amile and lance are odd examples to use to prove your point.

DukieInBrasil
11-25-2016, 06:19 PM

If I'm wrong, please show me where I'm wrong, and Wendell saying that he can step out and hit shots does not count, because Amile and Lance both came in saying that they were stretch 4's. They were not.

Lance may not have been a stretch-4 at Duke, he's pretty much a 3 in the NBA now though. Amile has the handle of a stretch-4 but he has shown no sign of hitting jumpers, so yeah, he is not.

JasonEvans
11-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Says the guy who projected 37 (38?) wins and 7 games with 100+ points! Love your optimism, Jason.

Great to meet another fan of the pod!

Also, for what it's worth, I've seen nothing to dissuade me from thinking we're going to win 37 or 38 games and I believe that once we get the three freshmen back we will be hanging 100 on teams with some degree of regularity.

Jason "we will have Tatum and Bolden back soon... and you will see how scary good this team can be" Evans

DukieInBrasil
11-25-2016, 06:21 PM
i don't follow you here - are you arguing that hitting an outside jumper is a prerequisite to play "the 4"? because, if you are, amile and lance are odd examples to use to prove your point.

stretch-4, not simply the 4. And dukehky's right, a stretch-4 has to hit jumpers, at least, if not 3s, to have the "stretch" attached to the "4".

DukieInBrasil
11-25-2016, 06:25 PM

Also, for what it's worth, I've seen nothing to dissuade me from thinking we're going to win 37 or 38 games and I believe that once we get the three freshmen back we will be hanging 100 on teams with some degree of regularity.

Jason "we will have Tatum and Bolden back soon... and you will see how scary good this team can be" Evans

we were on pace to score mid-90s last game at half time and deep into the 2nd before the deep reserves came in, w/o any of the 3 Fr., as well as a hobbled Allen & Jeter. So that bodes well for a high scoring team with all the pieces healthy.
Regarding your tag line, is Giles not expected to play before either Bolden or Tatum? Reports from the recent game indicated Giles may be closest to returning. Appreciate the insight, since i ain't got none.

Edouble
11-25-2016, 06:39 PM

Actually, according to Coach K, Giles will be the first to return.

ArtVandelay
11-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Yeah, I mean, when you think of the prototypical Duke 4, I think of guys like Battier, Singler, Lance, Amile, Justise, R. Kelly, perhaps Tatum this year, etc. Mostly athletic guys with more of a face-up offensive game, good quickness and defensive prowess to guard inside and out, run the floor, etc. From what I can see, Carter seems like more of a post player (could be wrong), which seems like an odd fit with Chase coming back, Vrank waiting to hopefully be a role player, and perhaps Bamba coming in. Obviously I trust K to meld these guys together, but it would be an oddity to run a "twin towers" lineup with both Carter and Jeter, at least historically.

Dukehky
11-25-2016, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I mean, when you think of the prototypical Duke 4, I think of guys like Battier, Singler, Lance, Amile, Justise, R. Kelly, perhaps Tatum this year, etc. Mostly athletic guys with more of a face-up offensive game, good quickness and defensive prowess to guard inside and out, run the floor, etc. From what I can see, Carter seems like more of a post player (could be wrong), which seems like an odd fit with Chase coming back, Vrank waiting to hopefully be a role player, and perhaps Bamba coming in. Obviously I trust K to meld these guys together, but it would be an oddity to run a "twin towers" lineup with both Carter and Jeter, at least historically.

I do wonder with Carter and maybe Bamba, and an apparently improving Vrank on the roster, and with Jeter's basketball future not residing exclusively in the paint as he is currently, if his role will get pushed farther toward the perimeter. This year, i think the staff was just trying to get him comfortable in positions where he can be successful, which is down by the basket since he's pretty springy, tall and long.

Much easier said than done, but if that kid can get any kind of midrange jumper going, his chances at the next level bump up dramatically.

Note: Obviously, getting that aspect of your game down would help anyone, but not HAVING to do it to be successful moving forward is a big determinative there. Marshall never HAD to learn to do that, for example. He's enormous and strong. To have a chance of playing in the pros, I think Chase is going to have to make more of a Lance-esque transition to a stretch 4 (not the type of athlete to play the 3), and if we have kids who can straight up play the center, it may be better for him to do that sooner rather than whilst trying to make a career. Having Jeter be a multi-dimensional talent would also clearly help Duke next year...

bob blue devil
11-25-2016, 10:43 PM
stretch-4, not simply the 4. And dukehky's right, a stretch-4 has to hit jumpers, at least, if not 3s, to have the "stretch" attached to the "4".

i still don't follow - who was arguing carter is a stretch 4? amile and lance both played the 4 without being stretch 4s.

DukieInBrasil
11-25-2016, 11:16 PM
i don't follow you here - are you arguing that hitting an outside jumper is a prerequisite to play "the 4"? Again, not the "4", the "stretch-4"
because, if you are, amile and lance are odd examples to use to prove your point. This is the proof that Dukehky was solving

Dukehky likened Wendell's statements about himself as similar to what Amile and Lance said about themselves before coming to Duke, which was that they would be stretch-4s, withe implication that Wendell sees himself as a stretch-4. I don't know if Carter does or not, but that is the logic that Dukehky is following.

bob blue devil
11-26-2016, 06:35 AM
Again, not the "4", the "stretch-4" This is the proof that Dukehky was solving

Dukehky likened Wendell's statements about himself as similar to what Amile and Lance said about themselves before coming to Duke, which was that they would be stretch-4s, withe implication that Wendell sees himself as a stretch-4. I don't know if Carter does or not, but that is the logic that Dukehky is following.

i believe you are mistaken. dukehky was clearly responding to a post that had no mention of "stretch 4" and began his comments with a clear rejection of the post ("no way") while putting forward what appears to be a straw man argument by replacing "legit collegiate 4" with "stretch 4".

so that you can easily see the thread in series:

... I really was just curious if folks saw Wendell as a legit collegiate 4 given that I'm thinking that will be his position at the next level.

to which BD80 responded while quoting the above text:

to which dukehky responded while quoting the above text:

to which i responded while quoting the above text:

to which you responded while quoting the above text:

flyingdutchdevil
11-26-2016, 06:52 AM
I'm convinced that we only get 1 of Knox or Bamba. There are just too many guys good to great starters next year. Assuming Kennard and Jackson both stay (big if), then we have four confirmed players: Kennard, Jackson, Trent, and Carter. That leaves a spot open at the 5 (or the 4, depending on Coach K's take).

So, who do we get? No idea, but I'd guess Knox, because I don't think Coach K can resist a stretch 4.

If either Jackson and/or Kennard leaves, different ball game.

superdave
11-26-2016, 07:16 AM
I'm convinced that we only get 1 of Knox or Bamba. There are just too many guys good to great starters next year. Assuming Kennard and Jackson both stay (big if), then we have four confirmed players: Kennard, Jackson, Trent, and Carter. That leaves a spot open at the 5 (or the 4, depending on Coach K's take).

So, who do we get? No idea, but I'd guess Knox, because I don't think Coach K can resist a stretch 4.

You are assuming Bolden is gone? Front court minutes would be split among Jeter, Delaurier, Vrankovic plus Carter and Knox.

I tend to agree with you on this. It would be very difficult to have Carter, Knox and Bamba on board given only 200 minutes to distribute. I am guessing Calipari's two platoon system was not seen favorably by top 10 recruits.

Newton_14
11-26-2016, 07:54 AM

I personally believe Bolden might very well be in a Duke Uniform next season. Not sure why everyone is acting as though Bolden is a sure-fire OAD. I don't believe he is. Same for Jackson. I think it more likely both are in Durham for their Soph season.

Indoor66
11-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Angel's and heads and pins.

sagegrouse
11-26-2016, 08:52 AM
I personally believe Bolden might very well be in a Duke Uniform next season. Not sure why everyone is acting as though Bolden is a sure-fire OAD. I don't believe he is. Same for Jackson. I think it more likely both are in Durham for their Soph season.

As far as I can tell [grumble, grumble], Tatum, Giles and Bolden could all be "zero-and-done."

BD80
11-26-2016, 09:21 AM
As far as I can tell [grumble, grumble], Tatum, Giles and Bolden could all be "zero-and-done."

Wow. Not just half-empty... "Who drank the other half?!" "That was the good half!"

Slow, deep breaths. These games don't mean anything. All that matters is that they are on the court at the start of the conference schedule and round into form as a team for the tournament.

https://youtu.be/2jqQsDklQEM

Troublemaker
11-26-2016, 10:06 AM

It needs to rhyme, so:

Zero-and-Dinero.
One-and-Done.
Two-and-Through.
Three-and-Flee.
Four-and-Door.

(Note 1: Obviously, these pithy phrases have a cynical viewpoint about them, more applicable to NCAA basketball in general and less applicable to the gothic wonderland of Duke.)

(Note 2: Also, I'm sure at least a couple of them can be improved upon. That's the best I can do on 1 cup of coffee this morning!)

Don't worry, sage. Based on our missing frosh beginning to participate in warmup for games, I am sure they are OAD and not ZAD.

Wow. Not just half-empty... "Who drank the other half?!" "That was the good half!"

Slow, deep breaths. These games don't mean anything. All that matters is that they are on the court at the start of the conference schedule and round into form as a team for the tournament.

Agreed. Although I must admit I'm a little bit greedy. I would like all three to be back in the next couple of weeks so they can have most of December to round into form before the ACC schedule starts. Duke hasn't won an outright regular season title since 2006, and if healthy, this is our best chance at it in awhile.

sagegrouse
11-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Actually, I tried to revise it, but I was late to the keyboard: "Let me point out that [these players] are still eligible to be "zero-and-done." In other words, we should try to get them on the court before we speculate if they will leave after this season.

SkyBrickey
11-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Wendell could certainly start alongside a Bolden/Bamba/Jeter. He has a much better 15-18 foot jumper as a HS senior than Lance or Amile as college seniors. In that sense he has stretch-4 skills. Can he or will he knock down the 3 consistently as a college freshman? That's debatable. The bigger question is would he chase another team's 4 around the perimeter? But that mismatch would cut both ways and Coach could go zone.

I don't think this situation is a lot different than Giles at the 4 this year. Giles is not a prototypical Duke "stretch 4".

cakerace
11-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Wendell Carter returns to his mom Kylia Morrison-Carter's hometown of Corinth MS for a holiday tournament this weekend. Of course this drew attention from our local paper, with a nice spread including quotes from his mom on her high school days, basketball and otherwise: "I was the tallest person in Corinth at that time [6' 5']. I was taller than pretty much all the guys."

However, the sentence that caught my eye was at the end of the sports editor's summary of Wendell's recent announcement video: " 'Next year I'll be attending Duke University,' Carter lamented in the videos climactic ending." Of course this was in a real live newspaper and not on a website, so it may or may not be true. I am pretty sure said sports editor does not have a journalism degree from UNC...

gam7
11-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Wendell could certainly start alongside a Bolden/Bamba/Jeter.

He "could," in the sense that five players are allowed to be on the court, and bolden, bamba, Jeter are only three people. But, there is virtuallty zero chance we would see a starting lineup featuring all of them.

Dukehky
11-26-2016, 07:13 PM

I think there's a good chance Jackson stays, but I do not share your optimism for Bolden. Lotto pick projection? I'd be shocked to see him next year.

Kedsy
11-26-2016, 07:28 PM
He "could," in the sense that five players are allowed to be on the court, and bolden, bamba, Jeter are only three people. But, there is virtuallty zero chance we would see a starting lineup featuring all of them.

Pretty sure he meant Carter could start alongside (Bolden OR Bamba OR Jeter).

gam7
11-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Pretty sure he meant Carter could start alongside (Bolden OR Bamba OR Jeter).

Ah. In re-reading it, I agree. Sorry, SkyBrickey!

Newton_14
11-26-2016, 07:47 PM
It needs to rhyme, so:

Zero-and-Dinero.
One-and-Done.
Two-and-Through.
Three-and-Flee.
Four-and-Door.

(Note 1: Obviously, these pithy phrases have a cynical viewpoint about them, more applicable to NCAA basketball in general and less applicable to the gothic wonderland of Duke.)

(Note 2: Also, I'm sure at least a couple of them can be improved upon. That's the best I can do on 1 cup of coffee this morning!)

Don't worry, sage. Based on our missing frosh beginning to participate in warmup for games, I am sure they are OAD and not ZAD.

Agreed. Although I must admit I'm a little bit greedy. I would like all three to be back in the next couple of weeks so they can have most of December to round into form before the ACC schedule starts. Duke hasn't won an outright regular season title since 2006, and if healthy, this is our best chance at it in awhile.

GMan said today during the broadcast they will likely be back for the Maine game. I suspect he got that from talking with K on Friday in prep for the game today. It has been such a weird start to the season. November is almost over and we still have not seen our real team. It's not like we are missing one guy, and it's different from Kyrie because we actually had him until December. Missing 3 freshman studs is just darn weird. The team we have been putting out there is Top 8/Elite 8 level, but limited, and part of that limitation is yet more injuries... one of which is the best player on the freaking team, plus the current starting center in Chase. Then Amile loses his grandma. It is just the strangest start to a season in the history of me being a fan.

On another note, I got corrected last week by "DukieBrasil" for stating that Chase was several levels above Vrank and he was absolutely correct. Vrank might be the most improved returning player right now. I thought he played really solid in both tournament games last weekend, and then again this week against Will & Mary/App St. He is honestly playing the best ball right now of the bigs we have available not named Amile. Props to Vrank. He has obviously put in a lot of work to get to this point.

DavidBenAkiva
03-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Congratulations to Wendell Carter, Jr.! He was named the Morgan Wootten Boys Basketball Player of the Year (http://usatodayhss.com/2017/embargoed-until-9-am-wendell-carter-jr-evina-westbrook-win-morgan-wootten-player-of-the-year-mcdonalds-all-american-duke-tennessee#sthash.uBwwxTfK.uxfs).

Carter joins a long and growing list of past Duke Blue Devils that have won the award, including Shane Battier (1997), Jay Williams (1999), Chris Duhon (2000), Josh McRoberts (2005), Austin Rivers (2011), Jabari Parker (2013), and Jahlil Okafor (2014).

I'm pretty excited for Carter to join the team next season. He looks to a versatile, aggressive, and highly skilled big man that can both score in the post and step out to hit a jump shot. His offense should draw a ton of attention, freeing up space for shooters on the perimeter. He really seems like a player that makes everyone around him that much better. I can't wait to see him in action in the McDonald's All-American game, Jordan Brand Classic, and Nike Hoop Summit before he arrives in Durham over the summer.