PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 11-22-16

jimsumner
11-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Nobody is hiding from Saturday's dismal performance against Pitt.

"You can't argue tape," Casey Blaser said. "They just ended up beating us. Obviously, we didn't prepare the right way and it showed."

Ben Humphreys says it's easier to recover from a blow-out loss than a close loss.

"It's probably easier to hit reset after one like that than losing by three. There's wasn't one thing that went right Saturday, besides Bryon Fields' pick six. We got outplayed in all three phases of the game.
It happens. We've had a long year and lots of stuff went wrong. You have to hit reset, pick yourself up and get after it. . . . Pitt won a lot of 50-50 plays. It just wasn't our day."

David Cutcliffe said he had a long Saturday night and Sunday afternoon trying to "get through the why" but is always ready to hit reset by Sunday afternoon.

"I understand what they're saying. There's sometimes more of a hangover when you fight your rear end off and think about the hundred things, the one play out of hundred may have cost you the game."

Everyone is aware that a win over Miami likely puts Duke in a bowl game.
"It's a one-game season now," Humphreys said. "We have to win the game on defense. Their quarterback [Brad Kaaya] is really good. We have to stop him."

The running game? Daniel Jones, "You have to give credit to Pitt and what they did. But one game doesn't discourage our running game. We know we can run the ball. We have all season. It's just a
matter of getting back to what's worked before and making sure we do it again."

Cutcliffe noted that falling behind quickly hurt Duke's running game. "When you fall behind quickly and the way they align, they're basically saying you're not going to run it if we've go the
lead. . . . With 11 snaps, we go from 28-14 to 42-14. There went a lot of the run game. Now, do we need to run it better? Absolutely. From the first quarter on. . . . You've got to reassemble the
offensive line a bit, get the running backs healthier a bit."

Cutcliffe said the offensive line had a sense of urgency in practice since the Pitt game. Christian Harris had a "tweak' in practice today but Sterling Korona had a good practice and seems likely
to get the starting nod at left tackle in place of injured Gabe Brandner.

Both Brandner and Korona are redshirt juniors and the latter does have some experience. So, this isn't another of those freshman-replacing-senior-scenarios that we've seen all too often.

David Cutcliffe discussed Duke's place-kicking situation. "There's no particular problem. To solve it, you go back to practice. We're doing a lot more what I call pressure-kicking situations in practice.
If you respond there, you hope it carries over to the field. If it doesn't, then you start looking at your depth. That's just the bottom line. It's not good. It's not good at all and we have to address it."

Could Will Kline or Danny Stirt get shots at place-kicks? "Possibly. . . . If they were already kicking better, then they'd be out there."

Cutcliffe added that there wasn't much schematically to do. It's a personnel issue.

Thomas Sirk? He felt "robbed of two complete seasons" and wanted to contribute to the program.

Cutcliffe emphasized that Daniel Jones would be the returning starter and Sirk knows there's no guarantee he'll see the field next season.

Sirk is still getting well. Will not play this spring and too early to think about moving Sirk to another position. But his return is a positive. Great intangibles.

CameronBornAndBred
11-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Ben Humphreys says it's easier to recover from a blow-out loss than a close loss.

Apparently it was near impossible to "recover" from a huge rivalry win. Grrrr.

Thanks for the report Jim, looking forward to the team closing out the season on a high note! (And yes, close it out, I have no interest in a losing record bowl game. Heal up, get ready for spring.)

Avvocato
11-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Thomas Sirk? He felt "robbed of two complete seasons" and wanted to contribute to the program.

Cutcliffe emphasized that Daniel Jones would be the returning starter and Sirk knows there's no guarantee he'll see the field next season.

Sirk is still getting well. Will not play this spring and too early to think about moving Sirk to another position. But his return is a positive. Great intangibles.

Jim - Thanks, as always. Lot's of interesting stuff. I think Cut immediately establishing the roles regarding the future of the quarterback position and Sirk is a great move, and the right call. Sounds like they may not be relying on Sirk for much, or are at least setting the expectation bar real low. Just let him get healthy, let him have another year of school, be a veteran leader, and if he's healthy, they'll see if there's a way for him to contribute. Must be good for Sirk to know that he can at least be a part of the team again next season. Probably also shows why Boehme is expected to come back as a 5th year senior. My own personal wish for Sirk is that he just gets the time to get healthy for the rest of his life. As a football player, and a quarterback who's main asset is the ability to run, he's had three achilles injuries in about 4 years. Risking another may not be worth it. Also, this is Jones' team now.

Also, amazing. Even Cut doesn't know what to say about the kicking game. Just a crazy situation.

Thanks again.

jimsumner
11-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Apparently it was near impossible to "recover" from a huge rivalry win. Grrrr.

Thanks for the report Jim, looking forward to the team closing out the season on a high note! (And yes, close it out, I have no interest in a losing record bowl game. Heal up, get ready for spring.)

If Duke closes out the regular season on a high note, they will almost certainly go bowling.

Truth be told, I feel a little soiled by this. On an abstract level, I have no doubt that there are too many bowls and no 5-7 team should ever go bowling.

I'm not sure 6-6 teams should go bowling.

But 5-7 teams almost certainly will go bowling under the system we have and it might as well be Duke, especially if that bowl bid rewards academic performance.

And Duke certainly will accept a bid under these circumstances. We would hear a lot about rewarding the players, rewarding the seniors, rewarding the fans.

And there's some truth in all that.

But more than anything else college football coaches want those extra weeks of practice.

Which gives bowl teams a head start on non-bowl teams which sets them up better for making another bowl the next season and on it goes.

Treadmill 101.

CameronBornAndBred
11-22-2016, 04:33 PM
If Duke closes out the regular season on a high note, they will almost certainly go bowling.

Truth be told, I feel a little soiled by this. On an abstract level, I have no doubt that there are too many bowls and no 5-7 team should ever go bowling.

And Duke certainly will accept a bid under these circumstances. We would hear a lot about rewarding the players, rewarding the seniors, rewarding the fans.

I hear ya, and I know we will. And as a fan, I will watch and cheer. Maybe even tailgate if it works out. But...grrrrrrrrr.
It will feel like the Participation Trophy Bowl.

Avvocato
11-22-2016, 04:42 PM

I'm not sure 6-6 teams should go bowling.

But 5-7 teams almost certainly will go bowling under the system we have and it might as well be Duke, especially if that bowl bid rewards academic performance.

And there's some truth in all that.

But more than anything else college football coaches want those extra weeks of practice.

Which gives bowl teams a head start on non-bowl teams which sets them up better for making another bowl the next season and on it goes.

Treadmill 101.

I agree with this completely. I also don't think 5-7 or 6-6 teams should be in bowl games. However, with the current system, should Duke beat Miami and get a bowl invite, I think they have to go (and I'll support them). I think you have to be grateful for the opportunity, to get the extra weeks, and hopefully an opportunity to beat another struggling team from another power conference. In any case, you take the extra weeks, the experience it gives Jones in particular to prepare for a bowl game, and you ride it into spring practice and beyond.

Bob Green
11-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks again, Jim. These Tuesday notes are always tremendously informative.

The running game? Daniel Jones, "You have to give credit to Pitt and what they did. But one game doesn't discourage our running game. We know we can run the ball. We have all season. It's just a matter of getting back to what's worked before and making sure we do it again."

It is really good to read these comments from Daniel Jones. The offense has its best games when we successfully run the ball because the run game opens up the pass game. It is vital the team stay committed to the running game.

Richard Berg
11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Why can't losing teams practice in December?

Bob Green
11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Why can't losing teams practice in December?

Because the season is over. I'm not trying to be flippant but it really is that simple. Teams that qualify to play in a bowl are allowed to practice and teams that don't qualify for a bowl are not allowed to practice.

Pghdukie
11-22-2016, 06:03 PM
A 5-7 team should not go to a bowl, but in Duke's case - the extra month of reps will surely help this young team. But first we must get a good week of practice, then beat a pretty good Miami team.