PDA

View Full Version : 2016-2017 MBB AP Rankings

moonpie23
11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
wow.......dropped to 6th for losing on a last second hero shot...... (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2017/poll/1)

let's see how uk holds the reigns....

elvis14
11-21-2016, 01:01 PM
wow...dropped to 6th for losing on a last second hero shot... (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2017/poll/1)

let's see how uk holds the reigns...

Wow, that's a bit surprising. We had 5 guys injured that game (3 out, 1 didn't play the second half and 1 played the second half hobbling around on 1 foot/toe) and lost by 2 points. Oh well, like everyone else around here, I'm really looking forward to seeing our whole team play.

fraggler
11-21-2016, 01:01 PM
wow....dropped to 6th for losing on a last second hero shot... (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2017/poll/1)

I think also our injuries were factored in. We are literally missing half the players the preseason no. 1 ranking was based on.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 01:02 PM
wow...dropped to 6th for losing on a last second hero shot... (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2017/poll/1)

I think the ranking also finally takes into account that we are playing without our three top-rated freshmen.

Anywhere between 5 and 10 sounds about right to me at present.

Regarding Kentucky, I went to their schedule expecting a bunch of OOC cupcakes but they actually have some games this year:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article100363132.html

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:05 PM
I think the ranking also finally takes into account that we are playing without our three top-rated freshmen.

Great. I'll be over about 6. IPA or stout (or both)?

;)

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Great. I'll be over about 6. IPA or stout (or both)?

;)

IPA please. I'm stout enough without the help.

atoomer0881
11-21-2016, 01:36 PM
I think also our injuries were factored in. We are literally missing half the players the preseason no. 1 ranking was based on.

Regarding Kentucky, I went to their schedule expecting a bunch of OOC cupcakes but they actually have some games this year:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article100363132.html

My problem with this is two-fold. I don't think the difference between being #1 and being out of the top 5 should ever come down to one last-second shot. If Mason had missed that shot and we went on to win, or if he had hit it with a little bit more time left, and we hit a 3 to win by 1, we'd still be #1. They'd say we were injury depleted and still beat #7 Kansas and #21 URI in the same weekend. And they'd praise us and keep us in the top spot and wouldn't take into account that we are playing without our top three freshmen. So if they won't take that into account if we win, they shouldn't take it into account if we lose. Just my opinion.

My other issue with this is if they are finally taking into account that we are missing our top 3 freshmen, then when those guys come back, will they take that into account as well? If they come back in three weeks, and we are clearly the most dominant team in the NCAAs, but Nos. 1-5 keep winning, will they keep us at 6 or have us leapfrog 4 other teams to go to No. 2? I say No. 2 because we all know that Kentucky will never drop from 1 unless they lose. So I guess I'm saying if they're gonna sit there now and say well you're missing key guys, so we are putting you outside the top 5, then I wanna know when those key guys return, are they going to move us back up regardless of whether the other teams ahead of us lose? Because once those key guys return, it doesn't matter if those other teams are still winning -- we will clearly have the best team in America.

Even with the injuries still think the No. 6 ranking was bullsh*t. Think we should have dropped to No. 3 or No. 4.

JasonEvans
11-21-2016, 01:45 PM
My other issue with this is if they are finally taking into account that we are missing our top 3 freshmen, then when those guys come back, will they take that into account as well? If they come back in three weeks, and we are clearly the most dominant team in the NCAAs, but Nos. 1-5 keep winning, will they keep us at 6 or have us leapfrog 4 other teams to go to No. 2? I say No. 2 because we all know that Kentucky will never drop from 1 unless they lose. So I guess I'm saying if they're gonna sit there now and say well you're missing key guys, so we are putting you outside the top 5, then I wanna know when those key guys return, are they going to move us back up regardless of whether the other teams ahead of us lose? Because once those key guys return, it doesn't matter if those other teams are still winning -- we will clearly have the best team in America.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that we may get a meaningful poll boost once the injured players return. There has been so much talk about the three of them being out that I think we will see more fanfare than usual when they do finally return. What's more, I think that pollsters did not want to take us out of the #1 spot due to injury but had sorta already downgraded us due to the guys being hurt. So, when we lost it gave them an excuse to actually put us where they felt we belongs (does that make sense?). Conversely, when the injured guys come back (and duke starts whupping other teams) I think you will see us move up in the polls in a way you do not typically see (meaning we could jump teams that did not lose a game).

As I said, I may be wrong, but I would not be shocked to see it play out this way.

-Jason "as for Kentucky, they have to play a tougher non-conf schedule because they play in the SEC and there are typically very few other quality teams in the SEC... if Cal wants to be prepared for March, he needs to test his team as much as he can OOC" Evans

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:50 PM

Wait, UK plays Cleveland State on 11/23. I thought they were on probation...

:rolleyes:

kAzE
11-21-2016, 02:06 PM
UK's potential losses down the road:

12/3 Home vs. UCLA - UCLA has some nice guards, but I don't see UK losing this one at home, especially with the way they absolutely handled Michigan State. Alford is no Izzo.

12/17 Neutral Site vs. UNC - The Cheats have looked decent against pretty awful competition so far, but they are probably going to be in over their heads against this UK back court. I don't see the Cats dropping this one.

12/21 at Lousiville - I predict this will be their first loss of the year, as it's their only true road game against a really good team. Louisville is once again looking like an elite defensive unit, they play extremely well at the Yum! Center, and they will be hyped beyond belief for this match up against their hated rivals from Lexington.

1/28 Home vs. Kansas - KU has a great back court, but by late January, the Fox/Monk combo might be even better. They are certainly more talented than Graham/Mason. Anything could happen, but I think UK will be favored at Rupp Arena.

Aside from that, UK should be heavily favored in every other game they have in this regular season. SEC basketball . . .

atoomer0881
11-21-2016, 02:19 PM
I may be wrong, but I suspect that we may get a meaningful poll boost once the injured players return. There has been so much talk about the three of them being out that I think we will see more fanfare than usual when they do finally return. What's more, I think that pollsters did not want to take us out of the #1 spot due to injury but had sorta already downgraded us due to the guys being hurt. So, when we lost it gave them an excuse to actually put us where they felt we belongs (does that make sense?). Conversely, when the injured guys come back (and duke starts whupping other teams) I think you will see us move up in the polls in a way you do not typically see (meaning we could jump teams that did not lose a game).

As I said, I may be wrong, but I would not be shocked to see it play out this way.

-Jason "as for Kentucky, they have to play a tougher non-conf schedule because they play in the SEC and there are typically very few other quality teams in the SEC... if Cal wants to be prepared for March, he needs to test his team as much as he can OOC" Evans

Yeah, I suppose that does actually make sense. I'm hoping you're correct and once they come back we do start moving up in the polls in a way that's not typically seen. More importantly, I just hope they come back soon. I wish there was some kind of update/timetable on their potential returns.

uh_no
11-21-2016, 02:29 PM
Wow, that's a bit surprising. We had 5 guys injured that game (3 out, 1 didn't play the second half and 1 played the second half hobbling around on 1 foot/toe) and lost by 2 points. Oh well, like everyone else around here, I'm really looking forward to seeing our whole team play.

I think the compelling factor here was kansas. after losing to a team that is at least in the same ranking ballpark, most writers, i'd imagine, are going to feel like they need to slot kansas in front of duke.

Further, the ranking has never been an actual representation of who is playing well, or who will be good in march...it's mostly just who lost most recently, and 5-10 places is pretty common, i'd imagine....and 6th is fair for how we've looked given the injuries.

gurufrisbee
11-21-2016, 02:35 PM
If Kansas had beaten Indiana, would they be #1 right now? I think so.

Let's take a poll of the teams in the top ten and ask them which one team at full strength they least want to play. Ok....

Skitzle
11-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Where will our ranking be when we see the return of our Vigil-antes?

FerryFor50
11-21-2016, 03:16 PM

12/3 Home vs. UCLA - UCLA has some nice guards, but I don't see UK losing this one at home, especially with the way they absolutely handled Michigan State. Alford is no Izzo.

12/17 Neutral Site vs. UNC - The Cheats have looked decent against pretty awful competition so far, but they are probably going to be in over their heads against this UK back court. I don't see the Cats dropping this one.

12/21 at Lousiville - I predict this will be their first loss of the year, as it's their only true road game against a really good team. Louisville is once again looking like an elite defensive unit, they play extremely well at the Yum! Center, and they will be hyped beyond belief for this match up against their hated rivals from Lexington.

1/28 Home vs. Kansas - KU has a great back court, but by late January, the Fox/Monk combo might be even better. They are certainly more talented than Graham/Mason. Anything could happen, but I think UK will be favored at Rupp Arena.

Aside from that, UK should be heavily favored in every other game they have in this regular season. SEC basketball . . .

UCLA doesn't just have some nice guards, they also have some quality bigs in 6'10" stretch 4 TJ Leaf (remember when Duke recruited him) who's been balling out and 7'0" Thomas Welsh, who can step out and hit the mid-range jumper.

I think UK could lose all 4 of those games, potentially. At the very least, we get to see if freshmen bigs Bam Adebayo and Wenyan Gabriel are for real.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2016, 03:20 PM

I am in the "UK Backcourt is Overrated" camp at the moment. I can be convinced otherwise, especially after seeing them perform against serious competition that lies in front of them. Here's the issue: This might be the worst-shooting team Calipari has ever had. Briscoe had a lot of "hype" that he had improved as a shooter in the offseason. Through four games, he is 1-7 from 3 pt range. De'Aron Fox has been similarly ineffective shooting the ball (1-9 from 3 pt range) and came out of high school with a reputation as a player that had a developing shot (see the scouting reports here, for example: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/De-Aaron-Fox-72510/). Malik Monk was outstanding against what appears to be a struggling Michigan State team, shooting 7-11 from deep and putting on an absolute show. In the other games, he combined for 5-20 from 3 while shooting below 2 pt range. He had a reputation as a streaky shooter coming out of high school with excellent athleticism. But it remains to be seen if he can fill it up night in and night out.

Sure, these guys are young players, and they are still adjusting to the college game. But the early returns makes you wonder how they will hold up against better competition. I would take the KU backcourt over this group at the moment. You get similar athleticism, better decision-making, and considerably better shooting.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-21-2016, 03:57 PM
I have a hard time getting bent out of shape about this. Yes, our team will look very different very soon and will be improved. No, we didn't have our team at full strength last week when we lost a close one agains a good team.

But - most importantly - no, rankings don't matter. Even a little bit. If you want rankings that matter, watch pointy ball. For round ball, it all comes out in the wash, come March.

JasonEvans
11-21-2016, 04:01 PM
But - most importantly - no, rankings don't matter. Even a little bit. If you want rankings that matter, watch pointy ball. For round ball, it all comes out in the wash, come March.

This ^^^^

This is why college basketball is great and college football is... meh (though it is getting better... add 4 more teams to the playoff -- the 5 BCS conference champs + 3 wild cards -- and I will be quite satisfied).

Jason "I forgot my quote" Evans

kAzE
11-21-2016, 04:22 PM
I am in the "UK Backcourt is Overrated" camp at the moment. I can be convinced otherwise, especially after seeing them perform against serious competition that lies in front of them. Here's the issue: This might be the worst-shooting team Calipari has ever had. Briscoe had a lot of "hype" that he had improved as a shooter in the offseason. Through four games, he is 1-7 from 3 pt range. De'Aron Fox has been similarly ineffective shooting the ball (1-9 from 3 pt range) and came out of high school with a reputation as a player that had a developing shot (see the scouting reports here, for example: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/De-Aaron-Fox-72510/). Malik Monk was outstanding against what appears to be a struggling Michigan State team, shooting 7-11 from deep and putting on an absolute show. In the other games, he combined for 5-20 from 3 while shooting below 2 pt range. He had a reputation as a streaky shooter coming out of high school with excellent athleticism. But it remains to be seen if he can fill it up night in and night out.

Sure, these guys are young players, and they are still adjusting to the college game. But the early returns makes you wonder how they will hold up against better competition. I would take the KU backcourt over this group at the moment. You get similar athleticism, better decision-making, and considerably better shooting.

Some very solid points. I agree they don't seem to be a very gifted 3 point shooting team at the moment. You have think Monk will regress to his mean, which, given his reputation, should be a very effective shooter. I think the reason UK is #1 is because of the way they defend. Their size, depth, and athleticism up and down the roster is very imposing for any opponent. As with any Calipari team, we will see how they develop. I really like Fox, though. I think he will be special, especially as a defensive player. You don't see guys with that kind of speed in college these days.

And yet . . . he's probably only the THIRD best point guard in this ridiculous class, behind Fultz and Dennis Smith . . .

Highlander
11-21-2016, 04:43 PM
I have a hard time getting bent out of shape about this. Yes, our team will look very different very soon and will be improved. No, we didn't have our team at full strength last week when we lost a close one agains a good team.

Agreed. I seem to remember Kentucky leading every single poll during the 2014-2015 season. Well, every poll except for the very last one, anyway. And that's the only one that really counts.

Who ended up tops there, I can't remember...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_r ankings

WVDUKEFAN
11-21-2016, 05:53 PM
I didn't think we would drop that far. :mad:

Olympic Fan
11-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Duke drops to No. 3 in the Coaches poll (and still getting five first-place votes):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Duke drops to No. 3 in the Coaches poll (and still getting five first-place votes):

If the coaches say we're better than Carolina, well -- who am I to argue?

sagegrouse
11-21-2016, 07:09 PM

More reasonable than AP.

pfrduke
11-21-2016, 07:55 PM
More reasonable than AP.

It depends on what you think you're voting for. If the question is, as currently constituted, based on performance to date in the season, where do the teams slot, it's hard to quibble with us being #6 and below the Kansas team that (barely) beat us. If the question is, as optimally constituted, and as informed by what we've seen so far, who is the best team, then ranking us higher makes sense, too. In other words, whether one approaches the rankings as descriptive or predictive informs where to rank a team that has a significant amount of talent injured and not playing but expected back before too long (knock on wood).

UrinalCake
11-21-2016, 09:05 PM
It depends on what you think you're voting for. If the question is, as currently constituted, based on performance to date in the season, where do the teams slot, it's hard to quibble with us being #6 and below the Kansas team that (barely) beat us. If the question is, as optimally constituted, and as informed by what we've seen so far, who is the best team, then ranking us higher makes sense, too. In other words, whether one approaches the rankings as descriptive or predictive informs where to rank a team that has a significant amount of talent injured and not playing but expected back before too long (knock on wood).

Yeah, I guess that's the question. Are the rankings supposed to be a snapshot of where the teams are relative to each other RIGHT NOW? If that's the case, then dropping us to 6 is reasonable because there's no timetable for the injured players to return and if the NCAA Tournament were to be held today, we would be a #2 seed. The teams ahead of us haven't lost (except for Kansas, who also beat us, so it makes sense that they're above us).

But if the rankings are supposed to be a projection of where you think the teams will be in March, then you would take into account injuries, and then I guess it depends on what you believe as far as when our freshmen will come back and how good they are, whether Allen and Jeter will get healthy, etc. Keeping us ranked at 3 requires making a number of assumptions, all of which are reasonable, but assumptions nonetheless.

JasonEvans
11-21-2016, 09:41 PM
And yet . . . he's probably only the THIRD best point guard in this ridiculous class, behind Fultz and Dennis Smith . . .

Have you seen what Fultz is doing so far in his young career? He's only averaging 27ppg, 5.3 rpg, 6.7 apg, while also getting blocked shots and steals. He's shooting 50% from 3 point land and 67% overall on his field goals. He's apparently a freak of nature. It is going to really take something special to keep him from going #1 in the draft.

-Jason "Dennis Smith put up 24 points tonight... the class of 2016 is really living up to the hype thus far" Evans

UrinalCake
11-22-2016, 01:21 AM
^ it should be noted that Fultz and UW have already lost to Yale and nearly lost an exhibition game to Western Washington, while Smith and NC State have lost to Creighton and barely beat Georgia Southern. There's a reasonable chance that neither team makes the tournament, which would be really unfortunate and reminiscent of last year when top pick Ben Simmons missed the post season.

Fox and Frank Jackson are going to win a lot more games and likely go farther in the tourney, giving them much more exposure, though I agree it will be tough to displace Fultz and Smith in the draft.

gam7
11-22-2016, 03:55 AM
-Jason "Dennis Smith put up 24 points tonight... the class of 2016 is really living up to the hype thus far" Evans

And 8 assists to 1 turnover.

jv001
11-22-2016, 08:55 AM

Coaches poll= people that know a little bit about college basketball.

AP= lot's of Cheat journalism writers that hate anything Duke.

Well, that's my 2 cents on the matter.
GoDuke!

kAzE
11-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Have you seen what Fultz is doing so far in his young career? He's only averaging 27ppg, 5.3 rpg, 6.7 apg, while also getting blocked shots and steals. He's shooting 50% from 3 point land and 67% overall on his field goals. He's apparently a freak of nature. It is going to really take something special to keep him from going #1 in the draft.

Yeah, I've been keeping up with them thanks to several youtubers posting full game highlights of many college players this year. Fultz is absolutely the real deal, and I would be shocked if he did not go #1. Really makes you wonder how amazing Harry and Jayson will be once they are healthy, considering they were once ranked #1 and #2 in this class . . . .

niveklaen
11-22-2016, 09:53 AM
I think that a lot of the voters are imputing Kansas' loss to Indiana to Duke - Duke didn't just lose a game, they lost a game to someone who had already lost a game - not normally an issue, but this early in the season I think it played a big role. If KU had beaten Indiana they would be ranked 1 and Duke would have only fallen to #3 or 4. KU had to fall because of the loss to Indiana and Duke had to fall behind KU because of the loss to KU. Its early. We are about to run off a string of victories. Our players will get healthy. We will end the year ranked correctly.

English
11-22-2016, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I've been keeping up with them thanks to several youtubers posting full game highlights of many college players this year. Fultz is absolutely the real deal, and I would be shocked if he did not go #1. Really makes you wonder how amazing Harry and Jayson will be once they are healthy, considering they were once ranked #1 and #2 in this class . . . .

^^^This. I think a lot of folks here are underestimating Jayson Tatum's game because we just haven't had an opportunity to see him play much. He's been described as having the most complete offensive game in the Class of 2016. He's an absolute killer in the mid-range and a match-up nightmare playing the college 3 at 6'8.

And that neglects to mention that not only has Giles been considered the crown jewel of the talent-rich 2016 class, but he was still considered the #1 recruit even after he tore his second ACL and missed his senior year. That's just outrageous. It would be a brutal blow to our collective fandom if we are deprived of Harry at 100% this year. He's a special talent, and I'm hoping for his sake, for our sake, and for basketball fans everywhere, that Harry regains his form quickly and fully.

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2016, 10:10 AM
^^^This. I think a lot of folks here are underestimating Jayson Tatum's game because we just haven't had an opportunity to see him play much. He's been described as having the most complete offensive game in the Class of 2016. He's an absolute killer in the mid-range and a match-up nightmare playing the college 3 at 6'8.

And that neglects to mention that not only has Giles been considered the crown jewel of the talent-rich 2016 class, but he was still considered the #1 recruit even after he tore his second ACL and missed his senior year. That's just outrageous. It would be a brutal blow to our collective fandom if we are deprived of Harry at 100% this year. He's a special talent, and I'm hoping for his sake, for our sake, and for basketball fans everywhere, that Harry regains his form quickly and fully.

Really? I haven't gotten that feeling at all. I feel that everyone is very positive on Jayson's offensive contributions. Pre-season, he was expected to be the 2nd leading scorer on a potent Duke team. Having Kennard, Allen, and Jayson is just crazy, IMO. These are three players that can put on 20 points in a half. Easy.

I do agree with you, however, that Harry isn't getting the hype that he likely deserves. But the truth is that Harry's knees are such an unknown that he could anywhere from a 10 min a game player to a 30 min a game with a Kirilenko-style stat line (ie all over the place). The range on Harry's impact with bad knees is correctly all over the place.

BullBlue
11-22-2016, 11:28 AM
Kenpom still has us #1.

Indoor66
11-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Kenpom still has us #1.

That's all that matters. 😖

Dukehky
11-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Really? I haven't gotten that feeling at all. I feel that everyone is very positive on Jayson's offensive contributions. Pre-season, he was expected to be the 2nd leading scorer on a potent Duke team. Having Kennard, Allen, and Jayson is just crazy, IMO. These are three players that can put on 20 points in a half. Easy.

I do agree with you, however, that Harry isn't getting the hype that he likely deserves. But the truth is that Harry's knees are such an unknown that he could anywhere from a 10 min a game player to a 30 min a game with a Kirilenko-style stat line (ie all over the place). The range on Harry's impact with bad knees is correctly all over the place.

I had him at number 1. I was more excited to have him here than either of the other two that were out. I am the highest that one could possibly be on Tatum. However, Bolden's rim protection and rebounding, along with the front court fouls we've been accumulating has led me to be the most excited about his return.
Guards have been a little susceptible to dribble penetration, but having Amile back there to cover the drop offs and Bolden to contest the shot. Good luck, even when you inevitably get by the tough "Ole!!!" defense by Luke (important to note that Luke has to be on the court, despite some of his on ball defense).

With Harry, I just want him to be healthy for his own good. If he's back to being Harry Giles, then hot damn. I still think Tatum is a significantly bigger contributor on offense though.

Also, regarding the Heels, that team is freaking good. Despite the weak competition, Joel Berry looks better than Marcus Paige ever was, Meeks looks like a totally different player physically than a few years ago, and Tony Bradley is a legit recruit. I'm not super bullish on Jackson, but if he shoots at this clip, that's a damn good team. If we have Tatum and Bolden and a healthy Grayson, we win, but right now...

BD80
11-22-2016, 02:22 PM
I had him at number 1. I was more excited to have him here than either of the other two that were out. I am the highest that one could possibly be on Tatum. ...

Short of a Bill Walton evaluation ...

fisheyes
11-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Really?

We are still talking about the impact of polls? After this past election? :D

I jest! No demerits for PPB material!

Indoor66
11-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Really?

I jest! No demerits for PPB material!

Is that a hope or a prayer?

Troublemaker
11-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Really?

Duke is actually still #1 because all the UVA voters are secret Duke voters, so you have to add their vote totals to Duke's. Because ESPN keeps playing Grayson's tripping incidents and because Tony Bennett received positive press for booting Nichols off the team, there are shy Duke voters who are parking their votes temporarily with UVA.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Kenpom still has us #1.

Nate Silver gives us a 17% chance of regaining number one. So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

-jk
11-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Nate Silver gives us a 17% chance of regaining number one. So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

By when? Mid-March? I'd be good with that... (AP stops after the regular season/conf tourneys.)

-jk

OldPhiKap
11-22-2016, 07:01 PM
By when? Mid-March? I'd be good with that... (AP stops after the regular season/conf tourneys.)

-jk

Exactly. The LA Times poll keeps saying we're number one, but it's wrong because . . . .

moonpie23
11-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Manilishi says we're "in"

gofurman
11-23-2016, 01:04 AM
Indiana just lost. To iPFW. Duke up 1