PDA

View Full Version : Sirk granted sixth year of eligibility

ricks68
11-21-2016, 11:43 AM
GoDuke reports today that Thomas Sirk was granted a sixth year of eligibility and that he is looking forward to playing next year. Could be interesting.

ricks

devildeac
11-21-2016, 11:45 AM
GoDuke reports today that Thomas Sirk was granted a sixth year of eligibility and that he is looking forward to playing next year. Could be interesting.

ricks

Great news. Best of luck to Thomas in his rehab progress.

Devil2
11-21-2016, 11:47 AM
I admire Sirk's toughness but coming back after three Achilles tendon injuries is madness.God is trying to tell him something...

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Great to hear, good luck with the rehab Thomas!

Newton_14
11-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Oh wow. This is both great and interesting! 1. It helps make the Sears departure much less of an impact. 2. It makes for one heck of a battle next Spring and Fall for the starting QB spot. 3. It gives us a killer threat on 3rd and short or 4th and short. No matter who wins the starting nod, we are going to see Sirk on the field at QB in those situations and the kid is incredibly tough to stop in those situations already, and now it will be a 23 yr old power runner against 19/20 year old defenders. Advantage old dude!

So welcome back Mr. Sirk. We are happy to hear you will be suiting up for our Devils next season! Makes the team stronger!

hackysack123
11-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Awesome news! I hope his rehab and recovery come along great. His leadership will be awesome as well.

Olympic Fan
11-21-2016, 12:03 PM
I too think this will be great news -- I think Jones and Sirk will complement each other at QB. Jones is much the superior passer (although Sirk is a good thrower), while Sirk is the much superior runner (although Jones is a good runner). Plus, it gives us very good depth with two proven starters at the position.

I was also told by somebody in the program that Parker Boehme WILL return next year, which gives us as deep a QB situation as anybody in the country.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2016, 12:16 PM
I too think this will be great news -- I think Jones and Sirk will complement each other at QB. Jones is much the superior passer (although Sirk is a good thrower), while Sirk is the much superior runner (although Jones is a good runner). Plus, it gives us very good depth with two proven starters at the position.

I was also told by somebody in the program that Parker Boehme WILL return next year, which gives us as deep a QB situation as anybody in the country.
With two guys returning that both started in front of him, this is mildly surprising. (Although I am still a fan and am very happy that he intends to return.) It may be a case of academics trumping athletics, which he could never be blamed for. :)

devilsadvocate85
11-21-2016, 02:12 PM
No inside information, but I wonder if becoming an H-back/tight end might be a consideration.

Bob Green
11-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Congratulations and best of luck to Thomas Sirk!

No inside information, but I wonder if becoming an H-back/tight end might be a consideration.

I don't think so because we are very deep at tight end: Daniel Helm, Davis Koppenhaver and Mark Birmingham return plus incoming recruits Jake Marwede and Noah Gray.

Sirk will be looking to compete to play quarterback. With a successful rehab, his return gives Coach Cutcliffe and Zac Roper a lot of flexibility in designing an offense.

dukelifer
11-21-2016, 02:45 PM

ricks

I just hope no more injuries for this kid. At some point you have to consider your future mobility twenty years down the road.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Regardless of what happens on the football field, he just earned himself another free year of a Duke graduate education, which is worth a lot. I'm glad to see him back and wish him the best of luck.

chrishoke
11-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Sirk is a warrior. This is great news!

dbduke
11-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Any chance Devon Edwards can get a sixth year also?

jimsumner
11-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Any chance Devon Edwards can get a sixth year also?

Sirk qualifies for a sixth year because he's missed two seasons due to injury.

As did Kenny Anunike, Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver, all of whom applied for and received a sixth year; Brown was unable to use his, due to another injury.

That is not the case with Edwards.

His Duke career is over.

killerleft
11-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Great news! Good luck, Thomas, on the rehab!

arnie
11-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Great news! Good luck, Thomas, on the rehab!

Also agree this is great news. Two experienced and capable QBs keeps the injury bug from destroying our offense.