PDA

View Full Version : Duke to Play Alabama in 2019 Football Season Opener

mbird30
11-21-2016, 08:41 AM
https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/800693563122208768

uh_no
11-21-2016, 08:50 AM
https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/800693563122208768

and yet we couldn't find a way to accept NCSU's proposal for a more regular OOC game? Guess this pays more.

freshmanjs
11-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Yuck. Why on earth would we want to do this? Just makes it that much harder to get to a bowl game that year with no upside other than money.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Cut being a nice guy and giving Satan a rematch after we beat them for the NC in January, 2019 and after senior Daniel Jones wins his 2nd consecutive Heisman.

(credit to our younger son-in-law, CB&B and Ozzie for some of the above :rolleyes:)

SCMatt33
11-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Yuck. Why on earth would we want to do this? Just makes it that much harder to get to a bowl game that year with no upside other than money.

I can't disagree with this more. If you get a chance to play Alabama away from Tuscaloosa you take it. I'm sure Duke gets a nice check from the game, plus it will garner a good deal of exposure since it's a game that will be talked about during the offseason (even if Bama is a massive favorite). At some point, you can't just hope to crawl to six wins beating directional state and a few conference games.

brevity
11-21-2016, 09:31 AM
It's pretty obvious why this happened.

The organizers of the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Game regret inviting UNC to play the 2016 game. Even though the Heels lost to UGA, the whole experience left a bad taste in their mouths that even a spicy chicken sandwich and a peach milkshake couldn't fix. Duke is the ultimate palate cleanser.

Cut being a nice guy and giving Satan a rematch...

You meant Saban, right?

Stray Gator
11-21-2016, 09:32 AM
I regard this as great news, and believe it should be viewed as a fabulous opportunity for Duke football to get the kind of bright-light national exposure that will benefit the program in multiple ways, especially recruiting. Because the best players want to compete against the best opponents on the biggest stages, the chance to participate in a game of this magnitude could make Duke a more attractive destination to some for whom the choice of a program is a close question. In addition, the favorable publicity for Duke football will be priceless. And the more it may appear to be a mismatch, the greater the opportunity to make a positive impression. So regardless of the final score, I think that Kevin White and Coach Cut should be applauded for securing Duke a berth in this event, and that we as Duke fans should be looking forward to the game.

Troublemaker
11-21-2016, 09:33 AM
The current freshmen will be seniors, so it could be a Duke team led by Sr Daniel Jones, for example. The current redshirts will be juniors. The incoming recruiting class will be juniors or (redshirt) sophomores.

The timing could be right, i.e. we might stand a chance here.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 09:44 AM
I regard this as great news, and believe it should be viewed as a fabulous opportunity for Duke football to get the kind of bright-light national exposure that will benefit the program in multiple ways, especially recruiting. Because the best players want to compete against the best opponents on the biggest stages, the chance to participate in a game of this magnitude could make Duke a more attractive destination to some for whom the choice of a program is a close question. In addition, the favorable publicity for Duke football will be priceless. And the more it may appear to be a mismatch, the greater the opportunity to make a positive impression. So regardless of the final score, I think that Kevin White and Coach Cut should be applauded for securing Duke a berth in this event, and that we as Duke fans should be looking forward to the game.

Agree with this 100%.

Don't shrink from challenges. Work hard to rise to them. Play your best, and whatever happens happens.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2016, 09:44 AM
I read this news with a mix of excitement and dread. The Notre Dame victory this season is certainly memorable, but what would beating Alabama in Atlanta mean for the program? Talk about a program-changing moment. It ain't going to be easy, that's for sure.

The connections between Alabama and Duke are interesting. David Cutcliffe is an Alabama grad and everyone knows Wallace Wade coached in Tuscaloosa before "moving on up" to Duke. The days of being a borderline Top 25 team while avoiding the ACC's elite teams are over. A more talented team is going to play more talented opponents.

EDIT: Game is in Atlanta, not on Duke's campus.

JasonEvans
11-21-2016, 09:45 AM

What Stray said. This is a great opportunity for what could be a really good Duke team. The past couple years of recruiting have brought in the kind of kids who can compete with the top programs in the nation, especially when Cut coaches them up the way he always does. Plus, this is major national exposure at the start of the season when football fans are rabidly watching. How anyone could see this as anything but a major positive is mystifying to me.

This kind of game announces you as a national player, a team worth watching. It will help with recruiting, helps with our reputation, and is a chance to further solidify the impression that Duke is more than just a basketball school. Plus, if there is ever a time to play Alabama, it is at the very start of the season in a game away from Tuscaloosa. Bring it on!!

-Jason "amazing news... and it will be in my home town. When do tickets go on sale?" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2016, 09:48 AM
-Jason "amazing news... and it will be in my home town. When do tickets go on sale?" Evans
Camping and room for our tailgate grill available on your front lawn, right?

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Maybe it'll be a down year for the Crimson Tide.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-21-2016, 09:54 AM
In April, 2020 the Final Four is in the same stadium so I'm assuming Kevin White's plan is that we start the year with a win over Alabama then finish it with a national title in the same building.

ehdg
11-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Yes this could be a good selling tool to recruits that they would get to play against Saban and the Tide in a nationally televised game. The only down side would be if we get blown out. If we can make it a game it would even pay huge dividends for future recruits as well. Plus would open eyes to young coaches when to think about Duke once Cut decides to retire down the road in like 10 years or so.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Maybe it'll be a down year for the Crimson Tide.

Will be if we beat them.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 10:18 AM
It's pretty obvious why this happened.

The organizers of the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Game regret inviting UNC to play the 2016 game. Even though the Heels lost to UGA, the whole experience left a bad taste in their mouths that even a spicy chicken sandwich and a peach milkshake couldn't fix. Duke is the ultimate palate cleanser.

You meant Saban, right?

No, not really ;) .

Because you know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDm_ZHyYTrg

SoCalDukeFan
11-21-2016, 10:29 AM
opening against Alabama certainly did not help USC this year.

2019 is also several years away. We can project players for both teams but we will be wrong as injuries, early NFL departures etc. take their toll.

The game will get heavy publicity and help showcase the program which is certainly good.

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Happily the team will go into this game with more optimism than some of the posters on this board. I'm also sure we will be a better team (and likely a pretty good one, at that), but for the naysayers and fear laden, I remind you of 2006 when Duke played at Alabama. Taking one of the longest losing streaks in the country into hostile territory, we led that game at halftime and wound up losing 30-14, and the margin wasn't more than a TD separating both teams until near the end of the game.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/262800333

wilson
11-21-2016, 10:37 AM
My response is twofold:

1. Good grief, we're gonna get murdered, and even as a local, I'm not springing 150 bucks to go and watch.
2. The above points about taking on all challengers and seizing opportunities for exposure (and just maybe to surprise some people) are important and useful. Above all, I can't help but look at this as another indicator of how far our program has come. The Chick fil A Kickoff Game has been billed since its inception as a "national spotlight game," featuring respected programs with national profiles. Remember how just 8 years ago, Duke won a lawsuit by successfully arguing in court that we were the worst Power 5 program in the country? We'd have never sniffed inclusion in this game under those circumstances, so to me, our simple presence in the game is to be celebrated.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 10:39 AM
My response is twofold:

1. Good grief, we're gonna get murdered, and even as a local, I'm not springing 150 bucks to go and watch.
2. The above points about taking on all challengers and seizing opportunities for exposure (and just maybe to surprise some people) are important and useful. Above all, I can't help but look at this as another indicator of how far our program has come. The Chick fil A Kickoff Game has been billed since its inception as a "national spotlight game," featuring respected programs with national profiles. Remember how just 8 years ago, Duke won a lawsuit by successfully arguing in court that we were the worst Power 5 program in the country? We'd have never sniffed inclusion in this game under those circumstances, so to me, our simple presence in the game is to be celebrated.

And if Jason Evans won't host our tailgate on his lawn, will yours be available? ;)

wilson
11-21-2016, 10:47 AM
And if Jason Evans won't host our tailgate on his lawn, will yours be available? ;)You get the hell off my lawn.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 10:55 AM
You get the hell off my lawn.

That's my line. You're not that old. :p

Indoor66
11-21-2016, 11:30 AM
That's my line. You're not that old. :p

Neither are you! You are still seeing patients and now, I am one! :mad::(:cool:

Wander
11-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I hate how football scheduling is done multiple years in advance. You can't even tell how good some teams are in the early part of the current season (looking at all you DBR posters who called Duke's win over Notre Dame the biggest in Cut's tenure), let alone 3 years into the future.

jimsumner
11-21-2016, 12:47 PM
I hate how football scheduling is done multiple years in advance. You can't even tell how good some teams are in the early part of the current season (looking at all you DBR posters who called Duke's win over Notre Dame the biggest in Cut's tenure), let alone 3 years into the future.

I'll go out on a limb here and predict that Alabama will be competitive in 2019.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and predict that Alabama will be competitive in 2019.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future."

;)

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 12:56 PM

And yet, for most games, they can't tell you the kick-off time two weeks out.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:19 PM

^^ (meant to include OPK's post, too)

8/31/19 is a Saturday (unless tv changes that designation:rolleyes:), so I'm guessing a 1900 or 2000ish PM KO.

Hmm, road trip?

moonpie23
11-21-2016, 01:24 PM
maybe they(ala)'ll be tired by then....

jk aside.....if you want to compete with the big boys, you have to play with the big boys......and every great program has to go through this....

OldPhiKap
11-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Hmm, road trip?

ATL is not a long trip from the Triangle, and plenty to do.

Of course, since I finally met you at the last Chick-fil-A game involving Duke, I know you're quite aware of that fact. ;-)

elvis14
11-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Yeeeouch...opening the season against 'Bama...that's going to leave a mark!

English
11-21-2016, 01:28 PM
...but for the naysayers and fear laden, I remind you of 2006 when Duke played at Alabama. Taking one of the longest losing streaks in the country into hostile territory, we led that game at halftime and wound up losing 30-14, and the margin wasn't more than a TD separating both teams until near the end of the game...

Saban didn't arrive in Tuscaloosa until 2007. Any comparisons before that are largely irrelevant.

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:31 PM
ATL is not a long trip from the Triangle, and plenty to do.

Of course, since I finally met you at the last Chick-fil-A game involving Duke, I know you're quite aware of that fact. ;-)

Very well aware. (smooch)

Already have route planned and which MARTA stop we'll be near. Just waiting for our invite to tailgate on JE's lawn and/or wilson's front/back porch ;) .

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:35 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Stadium

wilson
11-21-2016, 01:48 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Stadium6879

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:52 PM

Yea, no kidding. I read some of the wiki piece and it looks like the initial cost estimate was ~$ 700 M and now it's about $ 1.4 B. :eek:

They shoulda made it the Braves stadium, too :rolleyes: .

wilson
11-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Yea, no kidding. I read some of the wiki piece and it looks like the initial cost estimate was ~$ 700 M and now it's about $ 1.4 B. :eek:

They shoulda made it the Braves stadium, too :rolleyes: .File under "Don't get me f%&$ing started."

devildeac
11-21-2016, 01:55 PM
File under "Don't get me f%&$ing started."

I figured that might cause a little dermatologic reaction :rolleyes: ;) .

CrazyNotCrazie
11-21-2016, 02:02 PM

And to complete the trifecta, they are planning major renovations to Phillips Arena, which is also only 20 years old, though at least it wasn't declared obsolete unlike the Dome and Turner Field, which were of similar vintage.

wilson
11-21-2016, 02:29 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Stadium

I read some of the wiki piece and it looks like the initial cost estimate was ~$ 700 M and now it's about $ 1.4 B. :eek:

And to complete the trifecta, they are planning major renovations to Phillips Arena, which is also only 20 years old, though at least it wasn't declared obsolete unlike the Dome and Turner Field, which were of similar vintage.And there, folks, is the thumbnail version of wilson's "Why Professional Sports Are Dead To Me Manifesto."

JasonEvans
11-21-2016, 02:48 PM

I think it was initially supposed to be about $1 bil, not $700 mil. But, the cost overruns are almost all being paid for by the Falcons (Arthur Blank). The city and state are on the hook for $600 mil and the rest is his money.

Now, as for whether it could have been both a baseball and a football stadium... well, that's a whole different story but I suspect the desires of the Braves and Falcons are not exactly perfectly aligned.

-Jason "new Braves stadium will be 2 miles from my house... I'm looking forward to traffic nightmares 80 nights a year!" Evans

wilson
11-21-2016, 02:54 PM

I think it was initially supposed to be about $1 bil, not $700 mil. But, the cost overruns are almost all being paid for by the Falcons (Arthur Blank). The city and state are on the hook for $600 mil and the rest is his money.

Now, as for whether it could have been both a baseball and a football stadium... well, that's a whole different story but I suspect the desires of the Braves and Falcons are not exactly perfectly aligned.

-Jason "new Braves stadium will be 2 miles from my house... I'm looking forward to traffic nightmares 80 nights a year!" EvansOriginal cost estimate was just under a billion; latest estimates are up to $1.6 billion (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2016/06/officials-mercedes-benz-stadium-cost-rises-to-1-6.html). But what's a few hundred million between, um, friends?

Devilwin
11-21-2016, 04:14 PM
We must assume 'Bama will be their usual butt kicking self. We can also assume we will be much better. Could be very interesting, especially with Cut at the helm..:cool:

devildeac
11-21-2016, 05:25 PM

-Jason "new Braves stadium will be 2 miles from my house... I'm looking forward to traffic nightmares 80 nights a year!" Evans

Original cost estimate was just under a billion; latest estimates are up to $1.6 billion (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2016/06/officials-mercedes-benz-stadium-cost-rises-to-1-6.html). But what's a few hundred million between, um, friends?

Thanks for the info/updates. I looked at that wiki article and 2011 said 700M and the 2012 estimate was >900M. Then, the real Slim Shady showed up :rolleyes:. Holy @#$%. Over 1.6B now :eek: .

DU82
11-21-2016, 08:45 PM

Sure, but I think Alabama will recover from it.

Avvocato
11-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Not sure why people are so afraid to play Alabama. We should be loving the opportunity. If we get pasted, well, oh well. If getting hammered by Pitt won't damage the program, I think we would survive a loss to one of the elite programs (if we were to lose - just saying). That's like saying teams shouldn't play Duke in basketball, because they might lose. Let's be excited for the challenge and opportunity and see what happens. I bet our players will be excited. I could see if we signed up for a long series with Alabama. Then maybe that would be unnecessary. And for those wondering how good the teams will be in 3 years, I personally don't care. I'll assume Alabama will be among the elite, and I'll bet we're pretty good. If Bama happens to be struggling that year (maybe because Saban decided to be Saban and move on), well, better for us. I just don't see any downside to this. I actually won't worry too much about the game though for about another 30 or so months. Good for us though for stepping up.

freshmanjs
11-21-2016, 10:33 PM
That's like saying teams shouldn't play Duke in basketball, because they might lose.

It's not like that at all. If basketball were a 12 game season where you have to win 6 games to get to a bowl, then I would indeed say top 25-50 teams should not play Duke in basketball. But, basketball is completely different.

Bob Green
11-22-2016, 04:52 AM
It's not like that at all. If basketball were a 12 game season where you have to win 6 games to get to a bowl, then I would indeed say top 25-50 teams should not play Duke in basketball. But, basketball is completely different.

There are six wins on Duke's football schedule each and every year it is just a matter of going out on the field and winning the games we are suppose to win.

English
11-22-2016, 09:26 AM
I had a conversation yesterday with a cousin of mine who's currently on the XC team at Bama, and has been a YOOOOOGE Bama sports fan since birth. He was befuddled by what the angle here is for Bama. Of course, for Duke there's exposure and the check to the AD, which makes a ton of sense (and, as a Duke alum/fan, I'm very excited about this development).

From his perspective, he said he doesn't get it because Bama usually would schedule a ranked team. My response was that this game is three years away, and this is the first season in four years that Duke hasn't won at least 8 games (and with devastating injuries, no less). We'll have a redshirt senior QB, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Duke is ranked when they play. I suggested what he meant was that usually Bama would schedule a traditionally ranked team.

He conceded that was a fair point, but he would've expected a Michigan or USC or Penn State. To that, I replied that when you're talking about scheduling that far in advance, who knows which teams will be at the top of the heap. For example, if Bama scheduled Notre Dame this year, that would've looked pretty silly and probably hurt their SOS. Although, a season kickoff game between Bama and (Harbaugh's) Michigan squads would be very fun to watch.

Again, he gave me some measure of acknowledgement, admitting that he thought Penn State would be a match when Bama scheduled them, but the second time they played, PSU wasn't even ranked either. So...basically, all this to say at least one Alabama football fan sorta, kinda understands how we got to this point. I would say he's bound to be the exception we'll find over the next three years between now and kickoff.

Hopefully come October 2019, this is a matchup of preseason top-20 teams.

BandAlum83
11-22-2016, 10:12 AM

A big one.....on 'Bama...when they unexpectedly lose.

My home town also. :)

BandAlum83
11-22-2016, 10:14 AM

81 nights, Jason. (Not to pile on)

freshmanjs
11-22-2016, 01:47 PM
There are six wins on Duke's football schedule each and every year it is just a matter of going out on the field and winning the games we are suppose to win.

Disagree. If you have 6 games where you have an 80% chance of winning each, then you only win all of them 25% of the time.

jimsumner
11-22-2016, 02:12 PM
81 nights, Jason. (Not to pile on)

At least Jason won't have to worry about the post-season. :)

Sir Stealth
11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
This is awesome news for the program's national exposure and a great level of competition to set sights on as Duke continues to build through recruiting and player development over the next couple of seasons. I'm ashamed to see so many wetting the bed over a game 3 years in advance while the program goes all out to pursue excellence. Cut and co. are well past (and hopefully will be even more past) just trying to eek out enough to get to a bowl game.

BandAlum83
11-22-2016, 07:12 PM
At least Jason won't have to worry about the post-season. :)

Ouch! We'll be back!