PDA

View Full Version : Austin Nichols Dismissed from UVA

devilsadvocate85
11-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Watching NC State vs. Montana on CBS Sports Network. Scroll showed comments from Coach Bennett about Nichols dismissal.

ipatent
11-18-2016, 06:26 PM
What's the word?

devilsadvocate85
11-18-2016, 06:31 PM
What's the word?

Nothing specific other than that.

Kjeffrey
11-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Watching NC State vs. Montana on CBS Sports Network. Scroll showed comments from Coach Bennett about Nichols dismissal.

You have to love Coach Bennett.

"It's a privilege to be a part of this program and Austin has lost that privilege," Virginia coach Tony Bennett said in a statement. "We have standards for our student-athletes and when those standards aren't met, there are consequences and this is the unfortunate consequence."

Jeffrey
11-18-2016, 06:38 PM
You have to love Coach Bennett.

"It's a privilege to be a part of this program and Austin has lost that privilege," Virginia coach Tony Bennett said in a statement. "We have standards for our student-athletes and when those standards aren't met, there are consequences and this is the unfortunate consequence."

Sounds rather similar to something Coach K once said.

luvdahops
11-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Nothing specific other than that.

Honor code violation perhaps? I believe that is a zero tolerance policy at UVA.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Funny how we some times love when Coach keeps it close to the vest.

Classy statement by Bennett.

BLPOG
11-18-2016, 06:53 PM

And so will probably contribute to Bennett's continued rise through the ranks of non-Duke coaches respected by Duke fans. Rightfully.

Kjeffrey
11-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Honor code violation perhaps? I believe that is a zero tolerance policy at UVA.

Nichols was at UVA last year, right? It would seem he should already have adjusted to school and basketball expectations. What has changed in the past few months? Regardless, Bennett is a classy guy and clearly has high expectations and will not accept less. If only more coaches were that ethical....

Wahoo2000
11-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Nichols was at UVA last year, right? It would seem he should already have adjusted to school and basketball expectations. What has changed in the past few months? Regardless, Bennett is a classy guy and clearly has high expectations and will not accept less. If only more coaches were that ethical...

The rumor mill has indicated that this isn't related to academics or basketball. If those reports are true (and due to being unconfirmed, I'm not repeating them here or saying where I saw/heard them), the guy needs some time to straighten himself out. Not sure if he'll stay enrolled, but he wasn't kicked out of school and so technically, could try to graduate and go play one year elsewhere. I suppose he could also try to go to the NBDL, though I'm unfamiliar with what the rules are for that and whether there's a draft or anything like that.

Kudos to Tony for making the move. At least if we ever win big, we'll know we didn't get there by cutting the proverbial ethical corners.

SilkyJ
11-18-2016, 07:30 PM
He was suspended earlier in the year, don't forget, so my guess is its more behavioral. Kids being kids.

Kjeffrey
11-18-2016, 07:36 PM
The rumor mill has indicated that this isn't related to academics or basketball. If those reports are true (and due to being unconfirmed, I'm not repeating them here or saying where I saw/heard them), the guy needs some time to straighten himself out. Not sure if he'll stay enrolled, but he wasn't kicked out of school and so technically, could try to graduate and go play one year elsewhere. I suppose he could also try to go to the NBDL, though I'm unfamiliar with what the rules are for that and whether there's a draft or anything like that.

Kudos to Tony for making the move. At least if we ever win big, we'll know we didn't get there by cutting the proverbial ethical corners.

I agree completely about Bennett. UVA is lucky to have him.

ipatent
11-18-2016, 07:45 PM
I agree completely about Bennett. UVA is lucky to have him.

Bennett is certainly a paradigm changer. Charlottesville has been a coach's graveyard since Terry Holland, and it has claimed several highly regarded up and comers.

dukelifer
11-18-2016, 07:52 PM
It's over

JasonEvans
11-18-2016, 07:56 PM
This kind of thing can be hard when it concerns a good player but I think teams often come out better in the long run for it. Recall that it seemed devestating when Duke dismissed Rasheed Suliamon mid-season a couple years ago. True, he was not the premium player that Nichols was expected to be but he was a significant part of the program.

Whether this makes UVA better or worse, I think Bennett has earned the respect to be trusted that he is doing what is best in the long run for UVA.

Jason "Tony is easily among the top 5 most honorable guys in coaching today" Evans

Pghdukie
11-18-2016, 08:04 PM
What a knucklehead Nichols is. Just makes us all respect Coach Bennett more and more.

Troublemaker
11-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Stinks for UVA fans. I'm sure you guys were looking forward to finally seeing Nichols suit up this season (and possibly become your best player), and he ends up only playing 16 total minutes before being dismissed.

UVA takes the lead for "unluckiest ACC team" so far this season. Duke's had injuries, sure, but we expect them all back. VaTech's a contender for that label with Kerry Blackshear's possibly season-ending injury. Clemson recently lost starting PG Shelton Mitchell to a knee injury, which might affect some crucial non-conference games before he returns.

Edouble
11-18-2016, 08:30 PM

I would not be surprised if Maryland has already contacted Austin Nichols.

Edouble
11-18-2016, 08:32 PM

I thought the same thing and thought we should do a side by side comparison:

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program. It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program." -Coach K

"It's a privilege to be a part of this program and Austin has lost that privilege. We have standards for our student-athletes and when those standards aren't met, there are consequences and this is the unfortunate consequence." -Tony Bennett

They are really similar!

OldPhiKap
11-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Sorry for Austin, hope he gets it together whatever happened.

Bennett is solid. UVA is in good hands.

Isaac Sours
11-18-2016, 09:15 PM
He was suspended earlier in the year, don't forget, so my guess is its more behavioral. Kids being kids.

Just a thought, and I'm not trying to be aggressive: Maybe poor behavior shouldn't be labeled "kids being kids," and instead should be labeled "unacceptable behavior" with no age qualification. Especially if this isn't grades-related or basketball-related. If it's alcohol or a fight or any violation of standards of conduct, that's bad behavior. kids are capable of behaving well, age shouldn't be an excuse. especially if it's a multiple offense, 19-year-olds (and up) should be able to correct bad behavior when it's already been addressed.

Newton_14
11-18-2016, 09:21 PM

Agree and a big thanks to Wahoo "McDaniel" 2000 for dropping in and giving us some direction on this.

Sad on the one hand, but a waste of talent nonetheless. Hope the kid figures it out, addresses whatever needs addressing and salvages his basketball career.

jhmoss1812
11-18-2016, 09:50 PM
And people say that UVA doesn't recruit one and done type players.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-18-2016, 09:59 PM
I thought the same thing and thought we should do a side by side comparison:

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program. It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program." -Coach K

"It's a privilege to be a part of this program and Austin has lost that privilege. We have standards for our student-athletes and when those standards aren't met, there are consequences and this is the unfortunate consequence." -Tony Bennett

They are really similar!

Is Bennett the Melania to K's Michelle?

I actually admire Bennett for taking the stance here. So far he has been able to win the right way.

Didn't we recruit Nichols pretty hard? I don't recall if he was a backup plan for Jahlil or would have tried to co-exist for a year until Jahlil left for the NBA? Please refresh my memory.

jv001
11-18-2016, 09:59 PM

Something our neighbors down the road a piece could learn. They did worse than cut corners and still have the banners hanging in the rafters. Bennett is the real deal and the ACC is blessed to have him. GoDuke!

Newton_14
11-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Something our neighbors down the road a piece could learn. They did worse than cut corners and still have the banners hanging in the rafters. Bennett is the real deal and the ACC is blessed to have him. GoDuke!

For real. Has Ol Roy ever said anything even remotely similar? Has Ol Roy ever dismissed a player? Like Taylor Swift never ever ever never??

All I can recall is him making excuses for a kid when the NCAA stepped in and forced him to lose a player....

Meanwhile Coach Cut has dismissed more than one kid in his Duke tenure with similar statements put out.... I assume The Hat has done the same?? :cool:

jv001
11-18-2016, 10:37 PM
For real. Has Ol Roy ever said anything even remotely similar? Has Ol Roy ever dismissed a player? Like Taylor Swift never ever ever never??

All I can recall is him making excuses for a kid when the NCAA stepped in and forced him to lose a player...

Meanwhile Coach Cut has dismissed more than one kid in his Duke tenure with similar statements put out... I assume The Hat has done the same?? :cool:

"The Carolina Way", :cool: GoDuke!

crf30
11-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Is Bennett the Melania to K's Michelle?

I actually admire Bennett for taking the stance here. So far he has been able to win the right way.

Didn't we recruit Nichols pretty hard? I don't recall if he was a backup plan for Jahlil or would have tried to co-exist for a year until Jahlil left for the NBA? Please refresh my memory.

I don't think they were the same year were they? I think Nichols was the year before. But we were recruiting him and I remember being bummed when he picked Memphis.

Can't help but feel sorry for Nichols, fans, coaches, family. It's just a bad deal all around. I really like Tony Bennett though.

sagegrouse
11-18-2016, 11:36 PM

All I can recall is him making excuses for a kid when the NCAA stepped in and forced him to lose a player...

Meanwhile Coach Cut has dismissed more than one kid in his Duke tenure with similar statements put out... I assume The Hat has done the same?? :cool:

Whoa!! Hold on there! Don't you remember when Roy revoked PJ Hairston's right to pick where the team had dinner??

Newton_14
11-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Whoa!! Hold on there! Don't you remember when Roy revoked PJ Hairston's right to pick where the team had dinner??

Dang you are right Sage! I totally forgot about that. Yeah, of the punishments discussed in this thread, Ol Roy's was by far the harshest of them all!

CDu
11-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Come on guys, Williams definitely laid down the law before. Remember when he dismissed superstar Will Graves? ;)

Newton_14
11-19-2016, 12:21 AM
Come on guys, Williams definitely laid down the law before. Remember when he dismissed superstar Will Graves? ;)

Good one Mick! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Graves also the player Roy let stay in one of his houses on the side? Like, really big house, like his house "on the side" is like 3 times bigger than the houses most of us actually live in? I remember seeing the story but can't remember which player. My memory is a bit smokey on this one...

OldPhiKap
11-19-2016, 02:23 AM
"The Carolina Way" is a sad joke, and Roy is just the latest insufferable bag of flaming dung to sanctimoniously perpetuate it. Go to HELL, Carolina, you pious condescending hypocrites. You are a fraud and the curtain has been pulled back on your bull.

Stay woke.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-19-2016, 08:35 AM
I don't think they were the same year were they? I think Nichols was the year before. But we were recruiting him and I remember being bummed when he picked Memphis.

Can't help but feel sorry for Nichols, fans, coaches, family. It's just a bad deal all around. I really like Tony Bennett though.

I was incorrect - I thought he was only at Memphis for one year but it was two so he would have come in with Jabari, Matt and Semi (amazing to think that Jabari would be a senior now!) I'm assuming his presence would not have impacted the following year's recruiting class but you never know.

I feel bad for everyone but Nichols. It seems to me like he was warned with his first suspension and I'm sure Coach Bennett was happy to help him get his act together but it seems like he failed to do so. He was presented with an opportunity most would kill for and he blew it. I wish him the best of luck in rebounding from this.

ipatent
11-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Virginia has never been an arch-rival like UNC has, and I see a lot of members here echoing my general sense of goodwill towards Bennett's program. There's respect for the coach, respect for the school's approach and academics and probably a bit of rooting for a program that has been an underdog for several decades.

You have to wonder if that will feeling change if he starts to beat Duke on a more regular basis after K retires.

My four years at Duke unfortunately coincided with those of Ralph Sampson at UVa, and we took an 0-fer against them from when he arrived until after he graduated. There was a lot of bitterness in the Duke locker room after the blowout in the ACC Tournament in '83, when Sampson called Jay Bilas a dirty player. In my opinion, the single most important win as far as K turning the program around is concerned was in Charlottesville the following year, against the post-Sampson team that eventually went to the Final Four. After that, Virginia's fate and Duke's were essentially reversed for thirty years. Let's hope they stay reversed.

Bennett's probably a future Hall of Famer, but I wouldn't root too hard for him.

weezie
11-19-2016, 09:39 AM
"The Carolina Way" is a sad joke, and Roy is just the latest insufferable bag of flaming dung to sanctimoniously perpetuate it. Go to HELL, Carolina, you pious condescending hypocrites. You are a fraud and the curtain has been pulled back on your bull.

Stay woke.

Sing it OPK!!! Amen bro'!!!
Can I get a HELLSYES!!!?

magjayran
11-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Virginia has never been an arch-rival like UNC has, and I see a lot of members here echoing my general sense of goodwill towards Bennett's program. There's respect for the coach, respect for the school's approach and academics and probably a bit of rooting for a program that has been an underdog for several decades.

You have to wonder if that will feeling change if he starts to beat Duke on a more regular basis after K retires.

My four years at Duke unfortunately coincided with those of Ralph Sampson at UVa, and we took an 0-fer against them from when he arrived until after he graduated. There was a lot of bitterness in the Duke locker room after the blowout in the ACC Tournament in '83, when Sampson called Jay Bilas a dirty player. In my opinion, the single most important win as far as K turning the program around is concerned was in Charlottesville the following year, against the post-Sampson team that eventually went to the Final Four. After that, Virginia's fate and Duke's were essentially reversed for thirty years. Let's hope they stay reversed.

Bennett's probably a future Hall of Famer, but I wouldn't root too hard for him.

Also Bennett's style of basketball is very boring, kinda like how the four corners is boring. The NCAA should have had the courage to ban Dean Smith for making basketball boring and they should also ban Tony Bennett for dulling the game.

devildeac
11-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Stay woke.

Sing it OPK!!! Amen bro'!!!
Can I get a HELLSYES!!!?

From the heights of Mount Hatemore:

Amen!

Steven43
11-19-2016, 11:06 AM
You have to wonder if that feeling will change if he starts to beat Duke on a more regular basis after K retires.
Not going to happen. Duke will get a great young (but not TOO young) head coach with excellent assistants--while hopefully retaining some of the current ones--and keep this thing rolling. There is no reason that it cannot work out that way. Not saying it is going to be easy, but if Duke hires a really good coach most of the rest will take care of itself.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-19-2016, 11:27 AM

Why would you waste time worrying about something 15-20 years away?

SilkyJ
11-19-2016, 11:39 AM

Stay woke.

There aren't enough sporks on the interwebs to show my appreciation for this post...9F

Newton_14
11-19-2016, 11:42 AM
There aren't enough sporks on the interwebs to show my appreciation for this post...9F
Mine either! I immediately sporked him! POTY to date that was!

Well done ol phi kap!

moonpie23
11-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Stay woke.

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on OldPhiKap again.

DU82
11-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Stay woke.

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

Indoor66
11-19-2016, 02:39 PM

Stay woke.

As Annie Savoy would say: "Oh my."

Billy Dat
11-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Gary Parrish of CBS had an informed take having been around Nichols a bunch in his home city of Memphis:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/virginia-dismisses-memphis-transfer-austin-nichols-three-things-to-know/

He went deeper in a podcast last night
http://www.cbssports.com/podcast
(look for Eye on College Basketball)

Bottom line, it sounds like the kid just isn't that into being a basketball player. It sounds like he doesn't work on his game unless there is a scheduled practice and, despite having pro talent, maybe he just isn't interested in making a career of it. Maybe he'll regret it later, but it doesn't sound like he's that into it.

jv001
11-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Gary Parrish of CBS had an informed take having been around Nichols a bunch in his home city of Memphis:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/virginia-dismisses-memphis-transfer-austin-nichols-three-things-to-know/

He went deeper in a podcast last night
http://www.cbssports.com/podcast
(look for Eye on College Basketball)

Bottom line, it sounds like the kid just isn't that into being a basketball player. It sounds like he doesn't work on his game unless there is a scheduled practice and, despite having pro talent, maybe he just isn't interested in making a career of it. Maybe he'll regret it later, but it doesn't sound like he's that into it.

And the kid has thrown away a degree from Virginia and could have possibly had one at Duke. Wonder what's up with the kid. GoDuke!

Ichabod Drain
11-22-2016, 09:35 AM
And the kid has thrown away a degree from Virginia and could have possibly had one at Duke. Wonder what's up with the kid. GoDuke!

Has it been said he left UVA? This is his fourth year in school, he could probably get his degree if he finishes out the year.

Pghdukie
11-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Has it been said he left UVA? This is his fourth year in school, he could probably get his degree if he finishes out the year.

My guess is he spent way too much time combing his hair while looking in the mirror.

Spanarkel
11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

That 109-66 loss in the ACC Tournament could well have been the most important loss in the K era. At a post-game meal(Denny's IIRC)one of the assistant coaches said something like: "Here's to forgetting this game," to which K responded: "Here's to never forgetting this loss."

OldPhiKap
11-22-2016, 12:47 PM
That 109-66 loss in the ACC Tournament could well have been the most important loss in the K era. At a post-game meal(Denny's IIRC)one of the assistant coaches said something like: "Here's to forgetting this game," to which K responded: "Here's to never forgetting this loss."

And when the players came into the first day of practice the next year, that score was up on the Duke scoreboard.

I don't think that class of '86 ever lost to UVa again.

DU82
11-22-2016, 07:03 PM
And when the players came into the first day of practice the next year, that score was up on the Duke scoreboard.

I don't think that class of '86 ever lost to UVa again.

Nor did the classes of '87, '88 or '89. Sixteen in a row. After that game, we spat in their face for 6+ years.

jimsumner
11-22-2016, 11:33 PM

It was actually Johnny Moore, on the sports information staff.

"Here's to forgetting tonight."

"Here's to never forgetting tonight."

Duke won its next 16 games against Virginia.