PDA

View Full Version : Porzingis!

WillJ
11-17-2016, 11:42 AM
It's been coming for a while, but last night's performance by Kristaps Porzingis was otherworldly. http://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=400899612
Catch-and-shoot 3-pointers. Drive-and-dunks. Spin and fade jumpers. Towns may yet be a better player, but I think Porzingis is looking like a rich-man's Dirk Nowitzki.

kAzE
11-17-2016, 11:58 AM
It's been coming for a while, but last night's performance by Kristaps Porzingis was otherworldly. http://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=400899612
Catch-and-shoot 3-pointers. Drive-and-dunks. Spin and fade jumpers. Towns may yet be a better player, but I think Porzingis is looking like a rich-man's Dirk Nowitzki.

So, in other words, he's a rich man's version of the best European basketball player of all time? That may be a bit premature . . .

WillJ
11-17-2016, 12:23 PM
So, in other words, he's a rich man's version of the best European basketball player of all time? That may be a bit premature . . .

Dirk's one of the top 20 all-time players, IMO, so I didn't make that statement lightly. It remains to be seen whether Porzingis can be as consistently great (or greater) than Dirk, but he did some things last night that were amazing. But perhaps I am hyperventilating a bit:).

Troublemaker
11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Dirk's one of the top 20 all-time players, IMO, so I didn't make that statement lightly. It remains to be seen whether Porzingis can be as consistently great (or greater) than Dirk, but he did some things last night that were amazing. But perhaps I am hyperventilating a bit:).

I'm definitely excited about the Zinger turning into a star.

We'll see about better than Dirk. At his peak, Dirk was the best player on a championship team, someone who dominated an entire playoffs including an NBA Finals where Lebron James and Dwyane Wade were on the other team.

budwom
11-17-2016, 03:10 PM
or could it just be another fleeting case of Lin/ZinSanity?

kAzE
11-17-2016, 03:15 PM
or could it just be another fleeting case of Lin/ZinSanity?

Not likely. It's still (ridiculously) early, but Porzingis' first year and 10 games are on par with Dirk's from a statistical standpoint. His level of skill as a 7'3" center is as rare as it gets. He's a future star if he stays healthy. I only hesitate to call him a "rich man's Dirk," because well . . . Dirk has had one of the all-time greatest careers in the history of the league. His consistency and longevity as an elite scorer will be hard to duplicate, much less overshadow ("rich man" implying a significant upgrade). But as far being a flash in the pan, that's already been disproven. Porzingis has a long way to go, but he's as promising a big man as there is in the league right now.

Billy Dat
11-17-2016, 03:51 PM
As a lifelong, highly objective and realistic Knicks fan who has tried to build a reputation on this board for reasonable conjecture, I want to lend my voice and say that Kristaps P.Ziddy Porzingis is already the greatest player to ever lace them up and if he continues on his current arc, there may be a new Nobel Prize introduced for greatest living human - they may even change the prize from the Nobel to the Porzingis.

Did you know Duke has 10 Porzingis Prize Winners on faculty?

WillJ - I share your enthusiasm

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2016, 03:52 PM
As a lifelong, highly objective and realistic Knicks fan who has tried to build a reputation on this board for reasonable conjecture, I want to lend my voice and say that Kristaps P.Ziddy Porzingis is already the greatest player to ever lace them up and if he continues on his current arc, there may be a new Nobel Prize introduced for greatest living human - they may even change the prize from the Nobel to the Porzingis.

Did you know Duke has 10 Porzingis Prize Winners on faculty?

WillJ - I share your enthusiasm

So how long until the Knicks trade Porzingis for an aging, half-season-from-breaking-down Dwayne Wade? ;)

Billy Dat
11-17-2016, 03:56 PM
So how long until the Knicks trade Porzingis for an aging, half-season-from-breaking-down Dwayne Wade? ;)

Oh Dutch, you went right for the jugular.....I am thinking it will be Dwight Howard who would be perfect in the Triangle. Think Shaq circa 2001.

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Oh Dutch, you went right for the jugular....I am thinking it will be Dwight Howard who would be perfect in the Triangle. Think Shaq circa 2001.

Sorry buddy, I had to.

Love,

Your not so friendly Celtics fan