PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke @ Pitt, Saturday 3 pm

Reilly
11-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Big game.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Agreed. And as Cut always says, games in November should be big.

Do or Die time.

LGD!

Avvocato
11-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Thank you for starting the thread. Not sure many here have been focusing on the Pitt game yet. Hopefully the team has put UNC out of its mind and is focused. Seems like the same story every week. We are playing a team with a great offense, so we should employ our recent game plan. We'll need to control the clock, run well with our RBs and Jones, limit turnovers and turn drives into touchdowns (we know we're not going for field goals). Hopefully the defense can stand up tall again. We have another tough challenge trying to stop James Connor's ground game and Pitt's passing attack. But we've been here before and have stood up well. And we have been getting better and better. We didn't follow up the great Notre Dame win with a great effort. Hopefully we have learned from that. While we are clearly the underdog, this is a game we can take if we play our game, the defense holds up, and we limit our mistakes. And maybe we catch Pitt still celebrating its Clemson victory. I know that a bowl game is still on the line, and obviously, it would be great to win these games and get there. However, whether we do or not, we are playing good football, getting better, watching our young guys mature, and I feel like this is getting us ready for 2017 as well. With that said, 2016 is not finished yet, and let's take that one game at a time. Let's play our game and surprise another favorite. Looking forward to Saturday. Let's go Duke!

P.S.

While I joked about our kicking game above, I would actually like an opportunity to get Reed some kicks (preferably beyond 35 or 40 yards). It would be great if we could get him some confidence and get him going. I don't want to risk any wins by doing so, but I think for the long term, it will help us out if we can straighten Reed out. With that said, I'm totally fine if he kicks 5 extra points, has no field goal attempts, and we win 35-31. Just saying.

budwom
11-17-2016, 11:34 AM
Peterman is really impressive...not sure how we slow them down other than us keeping the ball away from them. Opportunity knocks...

Pghdukie
11-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Pitt offense does a great job with jet sweeps with Henderson and shuttle passes to Connor and the tight end Orndoff.

chrishoke
11-17-2016, 01:36 PM
My son and I are heading from Raleigh/Durham to Pittsburgh tomorrow for the game. Anyone else going? Go Devils!

Reilly
11-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Interesting to see margins against common opponents.

UNC: Duke +1, Pitt -1
VT: Duke -3, Pitt -3
GT: Duke -3, Pitt +3
VA: Duke -14, Pitt +14

Devilwin
11-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Anyone know who is carrying the game on tv?

brevity
11-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Anyone know who is carrying the game on tv?

From this thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38731):

Here is the current list of stations carrying the game:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-duke-at-pitt-11-19-2016

As usual, expect further information on blackout maps later in the week, although most RSN syndicated games have identical blackout zones within the ACC footprint.

Bob Green
11-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Uniform combo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxeScUfXAAAJmtN.jpg

Newton_14
11-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Uniform combo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxeScUfXAAAJmtN.jpg

Cool. We have come a long way under Cut! I remember the years prior to Cut and shortly after he arrived, when our uni's and helmets were so vanilla it was sad.

I love all the different color combinations they can utilize these days. I think my favorite is Blue Helmet(With White D), White Jerseys, Blue Pants. Really good look to me.

awhom111
11-17-2016, 09:55 PM
From this thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38731):

All of the information is available now.

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2936935.jpg

Stations:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-duke-at-pitt-11-19-2016

Options based on location:

Black:
-On TV on station from list above.
-Online through the subscription function of one of the stations above (may need to be an in-market subscriber).

Green:
Black:
-On TV on station from list above.
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 791 and Verizon FIOS 824).
-Online through the subscription function of one of the stations above (may need to be an in-market subscriber).
-Online through ACC Network Extra feature of WatchESPN.

Reilly
11-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Gameday. Fight, fight Blue Devils.

Newton_14
11-19-2016, 12:13 AM
Gameday. Fight, fight Blue Devils.

I am fearing this one for some reason. I just get the feeling Pitt might just be the second best team we have faced behind Louisville and it will be an uphill battle for us the entire way. I hope I'm wrong.
Anybody want to talk me out of the fear and give me hope that our guys can and will win this game?

Hopefully we are rested and healed up as good as possible given how many of our star players will be in street clothes. Stinks that Breon can't go.

Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
11-19-2016, 02:15 AM
Rip 'em up
Tear 'em up
Give'm Hell, Duke!

Bob Green
11-19-2016, 06:27 AM
Anybody want to talk me out of the fear and give me hope that our guys can and will win this game?

There is hope! :D

Pitt defense relinquishes 35.2 points per game, which is dead last in the ACC. Our offense must be efficient once again executing long, time consuming, points producing drives that keep Pitt's offense off the field.

Pitt quarterback Nathan Peterman is very good. He stood in the pocket and picked our secondary apart last season. The defense has to pressure him for us to have a chance so I expect we will see lots of blitzes. Then there is James Conner. He is the complete package at running back. Bottom line is Pitt is strong both passing and running. They average 37.6 ppg (3rd in ACC). Our defense has there hands full today.

Avvocato
11-19-2016, 08:02 AM
I am fearing this one for some reason. I just get the feeling Pitt might just be the second best team we have faced behind Louisville and it will be an uphill battle for us the entire way. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully we are rested and healed up as good as possible given how many of our star players will be in street clothes. Stinks that Breon can't go.

Go Duke!

Here is my two cents. I thought the same thing heading into the ND, Louisville and UNC games. We responded each time with big efforts and were in each game until the end (obviously winning UNC). As Bob mentioned, if we stick to our recent formula of ball control, limiting turnovers, ending finishing drives with touchdowns, and limiting mistakes in general, we have a chance. Naturally, heading into this one we question whether we can hang in again. It will be a huge challenge for the defense to see if they can keep us in the game. Let's see if we can pull it off again. It will be another huge challenge, but I'll enjoy watching us give it a try. Let's go Duke.

chrishoke
11-19-2016, 08:31 AM
We arrived in Pittsburgh Friday - it was 75. Game time wind chill will be in the 30's.

Pghdukie
11-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Rain showers this morning. Chance of snow by games end. Pitt defensive secondary very vulnerable (has been all season). Winds variable 5-35 mph will have an effect on passing game. Heinz Field has always been tough on kicking game even without the winds.I believe this will be an old fashioned rockem-sockem game that will be won in the trenches.

peloton
11-19-2016, 10:49 AM
We arrived in Pittsburgh Friday - it was 75. Game time wind chill will be in the 30's.

I like our chances against Pitt...I really do, if we can hold onto the ball in the cold weather that is (yes, I fully understand that both teams have to play in it - just hope our receivers and running backs are especially careful today). Also, since apparently the Panthers' pass defense is a weakness I would think that DJ and Co. would be able to take advantage of this, especially if our running game is effective. I have confidence that the team and staff are fully prepared (read:no post Ewe in Sea victory hangover)...will it all be enough even if we play well? That remains to be seen but yeah...I like our chances and I can't wait to find out.

Let's go Devils!!

peloton
11-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Cool. We have come a long way under Cut! I remember the years prior to Cut and shortly after he arrived, when our uni's and helmets were so vanilla it was sad.

I love all the different color combinations they can utilize these days. I think my favorite is Blue Helmet(With White D), White Jerseys, Blue Pants. Really good look to me.

I'm with you there - that's a great combination...my fave also I'd say.

Troublemaker
11-19-2016, 12:30 PM

Go Duke!

Hopefully Pitt will have a bit of letdown after upsetting Clemson and because they handled us pretty easily last season. Also, next week they play Syracuse, which is more of a rival for them than Duke. So, they're in a bit of a "sandwich" spot here where we might be the team they overlook.

Troublemaker
11-19-2016, 03:01 PM
DBR chat is open: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

-jk
11-19-2016, 03:02 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is still open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
11-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Live stats for Duke/Pitt...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-pittsburgh-football-live-stats-11192016

WakeDevil
11-19-2016, 04:36 PM
Charles Barkley just texted me to say Duke has a "turrible" field goal kicker.

Bob Green
11-19-2016, 04:37 PM
To be polite AJ Reed is not a P5 quality kicker.

arnie
11-19-2016, 05:00 PM
To be polite AJ Reed is not a P5 quality kicker.

That was very polite. Any idea if we're recruiting another kicker?

wavedukefan70s
11-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Boy, this went sour quickly.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-19-2016, 05:20 PM
That was very polite. Any idea if we're recruiting another kicker?

We also need a punter.

Bob Green
11-19-2016, 05:28 PM
We also need a punter.

We have a punter. Unfortunately, he is out with a broken clavicle.

duke4ever19
11-19-2016, 05:29 PM
I like our chances against Pitt...I really do, if we can hold onto the ball in the cold weather that is (yes, I fully understand that both teams have to play in it - just hope our receivers and running backs are especially careful today). Also, since apparently the Panthers' pass defense is a weakness I would think that DJ and Co. would be able to take advantage of this, especially if our running game is effective. I have confidence that the team and staff are fully prepared (read:no post Ewe in Sea victory hangover)...will it all be enough even if we play well? That remains to be seen but yeah...I like our chances and I can't wait to find out.

Let's go Devils!!

Jinxy!

TruBlu
11-19-2016, 05:34 PM
So, it's now legal to tackle a Duke running back by the face mask? Who knew?

CDu
11-19-2016, 05:38 PM
So, it's now legal to tackle a Duke running back by the face mask? Who knew?

Still illegal to tackle an RB with the facemask. But a WR? Totally different story.

That said, it really doesn't matter today. Pitt has dominated this game thoroughly.

grossbus
11-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Our safeties are giving up a lot of deep throws.

Too cold for us?

buddy
11-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Old Duke is back. Even under Roof and Franks we could make field goals. Today is just embarrassing.

Devilwin
11-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Worst game in quite a while. First time we've quit as a team.
That being said, I believe the future is bright. Sure, there's issues to fix (most noticeably, that secondary), need more meat on both lines (we're too small) but we have one of the league's best qbs, quality receivers, some good backs, so there's hope.

Bob Green
11-19-2016, 06:19 PM
...quality receivers...

Receiver gives the secondary a run for its money as weakest position on the team.

arnie
11-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Yea. We're just overmatched today. Likely go 4-8 but beat the heels. Look forward to next year.

Troublemaker
11-19-2016, 06:41 PM

Great call, my friend.

Bob Green
11-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Great call, my friend.

Pitt totally shutdown our running game and made us a one-dimensional offense.

Pghdukie
11-19-2016, 08:21 PM
I am a Coach CUT fan 100%. I am disappointed with the game plan for the offense tho. Pitt has given up over 400 yds passing each game this year. Teams have had success throwing downfield and running up huge chunks of yardage every game. Yet we threw nothing but 5-8 yd passes. Pitt lost their best d-back last week - yet we didn't exploit their weekness. We lost this game. Move on to next week.

jimsumner
11-19-2016, 08:57 PM
I am a Coach CUT fan 100%. I am disappointed with the game plan for the offense tho. Pitt has given up over 400 yds passing each game this year. Teams have had success throwing downfield and running up huge chunks of yardage every game. Yet we threw nothing but 5-8 yd passes. Pitt lost their best d-back last week - yet we didn't exploit their weekness. We lost this game. Move on to next week.

I think the idea was to control the clock and keep Pitt's offense off the field. It worked against Louisville and North Carolina.

Today, not so much.

Somebody said upthread that Duke quit. It's never easy to tell on TV but to me it looked like a team that is just out of gas. The combination of injuries, youth and close losses have left a team that just doesn't have much in the tank.

Avvocato
11-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Sometimes you just get your tailed whacked. As Jim Sumner said above, I believe our plan was to use the short passes to control clock. While we were not effective running the ball, you often want to try to keep at it to wear a defense down. However, that requires your defense to slow the other team down or keep up with the scoring. We just couldn't do either today. And the score often dictates the game plan within a game. Our defense was able to keep us in the game against UNC and Louisville. Today, not so much. But let's be honest, Pitt has put up points against just about everyone they faced, and they have played Oklahoma State, Penn State, Clemson, UNC, Virginia Tech, etc. We have been able to hang in against the big boys. Just not today. You lick your wounds and you get ready for the season finale. You hope for a big effort to end the season and build momentum for next season.

While the season isn't over yet, let's also not forget that most prognosticators, who assumed Sirk was going to be our starter, didn't think we would finish better than 6-6 (and most thought we'd be worse than that). We will finish 4-8 or 5-7, but we have really set our selves up for next season. Most importantly, we've spent the season developing our quarterback for the next few years, and we have a good one. While some have criticized our receivers, I think our group is good enough to score and win with. We really can use a number 1 type of receiver (whether that's Bracey or someone else we get or who develops in the future we'll see), but we have good tight ends, decent running backs and some quality true freshmen who will step in next season. The most disappointing group has been the secondary. It's the area I think we have recruited the best in, it's always considered a strength of ours, but they sometimes just don't perform to expectations. Let's hope with a developing pass rush and more experience, the group steps up more next season. I don't even know what to say about our kicker. I've posted several times that I hope he gets some opportunities to make a few just to get his head straight for next season. But this is a disaster. It's impossible to play major D-1 football without the ability to make virtually any field goals. I hope for his sake that he can overcome this disastrous season, but for Cut, I'm not sure how you can count on that.

This was not return to the Duke of old. This is a real football program that is having a rebuilding year that just had a bad day. In any case, a disappointing day, but a lot to like about our future. Let's shake this one off and let's take one from Miami next week. Let's go Duke.

Bob Green
11-20-2016, 06:41 AM
While some have criticized our receivers, I think our group is good enough to score and win with. We really can use a number 1 type of receiver (whether that's Bracey or someone else we get or who develops in the future we'll see)

We desperately need a #1 receiver to step up. I'm still optimistic it will be Bracey but seeing as he never earned his way onto the field this season makes one pause. Our current receivers struggle to create separation. Moreover, they don't catch passes that hit them in the hands.

The most disappointing group has been the secondary. It's the area I think we have recruited the best in, it's always considered a strength of ours, but they sometimes just don't perform to expectations. Let's hope with a developing pass rush and more experience, the group steps up more next season.

There will be a huge turnover in the secondary next season as Breon Borders, Deondre Singleton and Corbin McCarthy are all seniors (plus the injured DeVon Edwards).

Class of 2017 includes five guys listed as a safety but zero listed as a cornerback. Players change position but it is rare for a player to go from safety to cornerback although DeVon Edwards did it last season.

I don't even know what to say about our kicker.

Neither do I.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-20-2016, 07:58 AM

This team was going to be rebuilding from the end of last year. At best, we were looking at a 7ish win season. Add a boatload of injuries and some sour luck... it all caught up with us today.

Coach Cut still has 100% support best I can tell. He has kept a smoke and mirrors show up and running to keep us in some games and pull off some unexpected wins.

The future is still bright.

budwom
11-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Since the game kind of speaks for itself, I'm reduced to discussing something on the margin....did we bring the wrong shoes to Pittsburgh? It seemed like
our guys were slipping and sliding all day long....grass field, and it didn't look frozen, did we forget to bring long enough cleats? With good shoes I'm confident we
could have pulled within 30 points or so...