PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Penn St Pre-Game and In-Game Thread (Sat Nov 19, 1230 ET, ESPN3)

JBDuke
11-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Duke and Penn State will play at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut at 12:30 pm ET this Saturday in the semifinals of the 2016 Hall of Fame Tip-Off. The winner will play in the championship game at 1 pm on Sunday in the same location, while the loser will play in the consolation game at 3:30 on Sunday.

No news yet regarding if any of Duke's injured freshmen will play. More to come, I'm sure.

Troublemaker
11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Penn St. coach Pat Chambers is one of the most upbeat coaches around. Here's his preview of PSU at Big 10 Media Day. If coaching doesn't work out, he should become a motivational speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llocwiXWOfk

AIRFORCEDUKIE
11-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Is this going to be on ESPN?? Anybody know

wilson
11-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Is this going to be on ESPN?? Anybody knowThe Worldwide Leader's listings appear to designate it as an ESPN3 event, online only:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/type/upcoming/startDate/20161119/#sport/basketball/

Troublemaker
11-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Is this going to be on ESPN?? Anybody know

Nope. It will be streaming on ESPN3. This link will probably work on gameday: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2896489/penn-state-vs-1-duke-semifinal-1

Olympic Fan
11-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Nope. It will be streaming on ESPN3. This link will probably work on gameday: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2896489/penn-state-vs-1-duke-semifinal-1

Penn State might be very upbeat about their chances this season, but they are off to a 2-1 start, losing at home to Albany 87-81 in the opener.

Interesting that Albany was supposed to be Duke's opener --- before HB2.

Troublemaker
11-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Penn State might be very upbeat about their chances this season, but they are off to a 2-1 start, losing at home to Albany 87-81 in the opener.

Interesting that Albany was supposed to be Duke's opener --- before HB2.

Cincinnati also played Albany, Penn St played Grand Canyon, and Rhode Island played Marist. It's all very incestuous with these teams in these preseason tourneys.

I'm hoping Duke gets one player back this weekend to make it a 7-man rotation. With a 6-man rotation, the winner of Cincinnati/Rhode Island is very capable of beating Duke in the second game of a back-to-back.

sagegrouse
11-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Cincinnati also played Albany, Penn St played Grand Canyon, and Rhode Island played Marist. It's all very incestuous with these teams in these preseason tourneys.

I'm hoping Duke gets one player back this weekend to make it a 7-man rotation. With a 6-man rotation, the winner of Cincinnati/Rhode Island is very capable of beating Duke in the second game of a back-to-back.

I am sending vibes to Coach K to use nine or ten men against Penn State. No reason not to use Vrank and Javin, and maybe either Marques or Jayson comes back.

Kindly,
Sage
'We'll see what happens, although for years I have been signalling from this high cliff looking out to sea and have yet to spot a sail'

devildeac
11-17-2016, 01:04 PM
I am sending vibes to Coach K to use nine or ten men against Penn State. No reason not to use Vrank and Javin, and maybe either Marques or Jayson comes back.

Kindly,
Sage
'We'll see what happens, although for years I have been signalling from this high cliff looking out to sea and have yet to spot a sail'

Thankfully, you haven't plunged from the ledge. :D

devildeac
11-17-2016, 01:05 PM

At least it's relative...

Pghdukie
11-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Thankfully, you haven't plunged from the ledge. :D

Cliff diving into oblivion!

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2016, 01:15 PM
I know nothing about Penn St. I just wanna beat them.

Looking forward to Grayson bouncing back.

Kedsy
11-17-2016, 02:20 PM
It's all very incestuous with these teams in these preseason tourneys.

Is it incestuous, or are they pretending it's a tournament? If you look at the Naismith Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament website, there's 8 teams listed and each team plays four games. In that format, you kind of have to play two of the other teams before the pre-arranged "semifinals."

Newton_14
11-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Is it incestuous, or are they pretending it's a tournament? If you look at the Naismith Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament website, there's 8 teams listed and each team plays four games. In that format, you kind of have to play two of the other teams before the pre-arranged "semifinals."

This nonsense began all because of Kentucky. They lost to some small school at home in one of these tournaments when they were a real tournament as in "lose you are out". Kentucky did not make the trip to New York for the semi-finals, small school got blown out, tv ratings bad, and poof, magically comes these fake tournaments where Big School U advances whether they win or not. It's ridiculous.

gofurman
11-17-2016, 10:24 PM
I hear we have a game vs a big ten opponent this weekend. What do you think of Penn State?

A few things I saw.

Pen. State played Grand Canyon and won by about 10. Duke played GC and won by 30*+. Summary right there. Penn State is probably a good team to play. Far Better than Marist and a little better than GC but definitely no Kansas. But an ok opponent. Good to play

Not sure the heights etc. who knows? Who are the stars? I'll probably look it up

gofurman
11-17-2016, 11:22 PM
I hear we have a game vs a big ten opponent this weekend. What do you think of Penn State?

A few things I saw.

Pen. State played Grand Canyon and won by about 10. Duke played GC and won by 30*+. Summary right there. Penn State is probably a good team to play. Far Better than Marist and a little better than GC but definitely no Kansas. But an ok opponent. Good to play

Not sure the heights etc. who knows? Who are the stars? I'll probably look it up

I like to know who we are playing. Top three:
- I see that Lamar Stevens a fresh - is a 6 7" forward who averages 17 pts in 27 minutes!! Man, efficient If I were coach I would play him more
- Shep Garner is a jnr guard who gets 15 pts and 4 ast per game
- Tony Carr is a fresh - grd gets 14 pts and 5 ast per game

Summary. Very young team. Probably good in a year or so. Two freshman as top two of three players. Bad rebounding team. About 300 th rebounding of 300 some D1 teams despite playing Albany, Grand Canyon etc.

crf30
11-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Would have been cool to play them last year. They had a player, Donovon Jack, who I matched up with in a district championship game when we were in high school. I was from one of the smallest public schools in the state, so I was one of two 6'4" guys who saw action at center, vs. Jack who is 6'9". We lost, with a final score of 24-18. He graduated last year though.

NSDukeFan
11-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Would have been cool to play them last year. They had a player, Donovon Jack, who I matched up with in a district championship game when we were in high school. I was from one of the smallest public schools in the state, so I was one of two 6'4" guys who saw action at center, vs. Jack who is 6'9". We lost, with a final score of 24-18. He graduated last year though.

What happened the second to fourth quarters?

Newton_14
11-18-2016, 09:47 PM

Or was it a District Football game??:)

crf30
11-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Haha beats me. I think we were just defensively very sound, but couldn't overcome their size advantage to score ourselves. We averaged giving up around 30 points a game, but usually scored a quite a bit more. It's okay, the next year we came back and won it. Jack's team had gotten bumped from A to AA though.

Also, for the record, my older brother played against him two or three times as well, but he (my brother) actually won against him in the district championship Jack's freshman year. And my brother got tourney MVP. Me, being an idiot, was spending my freshman and sophomore years lifting and playing indoor soccer because I wanted to play division 1 so I wasn't on that team. Probably my biggest regret, not getting to play with my brother.

CDu
11-18-2016, 11:59 PM

No shot clock in high school ball, right?

Newton_14
11-19-2016, 12:22 AM
No shot clock in high school ball, right?

That is correct. Also, quarters are only 8 minutes ea. Low scoring like that can happen fairly easily.

Troublemaker
11-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Amile has 2 offensive rebounds in 3 games. Penn St is a horrible rebounding team (outrebounded by Albany, Duquesne, and Grand Canyon), so it would be nice to see him get going a bit here.

I've been secretly (but anymore!) concerned that the new officiating emphasis on not displacing opposing players when going for rebounds would affect Amile's numbers. The past few seasons, Amile had become a master of the subtle nudge in the back before grabbing the o-board. But even subtle nudges are called fouls nowadays.

Hopefully Amile begins to assert himself on the offensive glass again, starting with this game, so my concerns will melt away.

oakvillebluedevil
11-19-2016, 09:55 AM
For what it's worth:

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair 13h13 hours ago
BREAKING: Hearing that Jayson Tatum and Marques Bolden will play at some point this weekend in the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tourney

grad_devil
11-19-2016, 10:01 AM
For what it's worth:

BREAKING: Hearing that Jayson Tatum and Marques Bolden will play at some point this weekend in the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tourney

I believe that's a fake account, as pointed out by Adam Rowe here (https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/799806657484222464).

Best to not get your (our) hopes up just yet.

oakvillebluedevil
11-19-2016, 10:26 AM
I believe that's a fake account, as pointed out by Adam Rowe here (https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/799806657484222464).

Whoops! Did not know...thanks for the correction

sagegrouse
11-19-2016, 10:50 AM
For what it's worth:

Whoops! Did not know...thanks for the correction

All my hopes are dashed.

cptnflash
11-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Jeff Goodman: Coach K has told ESPN that none of Bolden/Tatum/Giles will play this weekend.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Jeff Goodman: Coach K has told ESPN that none of Bolden/Tatum/Giles will play this weekend.

I never expected them to play this weekend, to be honest. Two games in two days after missing time for an injury? No way. I'm circling November 23rd in my calendar. It could be a great day for Duke.

mo.st.dukie
11-19-2016, 12:10 PM
I never expected them to play this weekend, to be honest. Two games in two days after missing time for an injury? No way. I'm circling November 23rd in my calendar. It could be a great day for Duke.

That's what I've been hoping for as well. Get at least one of these guys back, officially get Carter, and beat W&M.

It would be really cool to get them all back for either the Michigan State game or the Florida/UNLV games, just to be able to showcase them in prime time games before the break for finals and the holidays.

arnie
11-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Not sure I get that comment. I wouldn't expect either to play both games, but a short appearance in one game maybe? I wonder if we're not going to see any of the three until ACC time.

UrinalCake
11-19-2016, 12:25 PM

We should start calling that guy the Blue Devil LIAR.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Not sure I get that comment. I wouldn't expect either to play both games, but a short appearance in one game maybe? I wonder if we're not going to see any of the three until ACC time.

So the games are on consecutive games, right? That means game prep was occurring throughout the week for both games. If they were healthy enough to participate in game prep, then they would have played in both games, not just one of them. Consecutive games also means that chances of putting on too much stress at one time are higher. It will be easier to integrate one or more of them into the rotation when there is only one game to prep for, like on Wednesday.

Troublemaker
11-19-2016, 12:32 PM
DBR chat is open: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

riverside6
11-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Penn State...

http://www.scacchoops.com/penn-state-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11192016

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Allen in the locker room, Jefferson with the head injury, and Jeter with the head and ankle injury. Holy heck. this got bad real fast.

ChrisP
11-19-2016, 12:47 PM
This season sucks so far. But hey, it can't get worse...can it??? :(

grossbus
Awful.

Running out of players

Pghdukie
Here we go again. Allen and Jeter both hurt in the first 10 mins

duke4ever19
Nuckin' Futs.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 12:50 PM
I was expecting a deeper rotation because of the consecutive games, but not like this...

grossbus
11-19-2016, 12:52 PM
From deep to devastated.

jipops
11-19-2016, 12:56 PM
I warned before that more injuries were imminent. For some reason this felt inevitable. Hopefully Vrank can make the most of this and stay healthy.

DeBlueDevil
11-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Vrank came in and looked ready. Looking forward to seeing how he does the rest of the way. Next man up. It's early in the season so the silver lining could be that we are even deeper due to this experience come march. I'd like to see Grayson or Luke takeover this game the rest of the way. We need a leader.

DukieInBrasil
11-19-2016, 01:08 PM
i'll never understand why K didn't play Vrank against Kansas. KU had that huge dude who grabbed a game high 12 rebs yet Vrank matched him in size and could have prevented some of their offensive rebounds and maybe grabbed one or two for us. That would have been the difference in the game.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 01:12 PM
I see Javin is now getting the "walking foul" treatment Jeter got as a freshman

ChrisP
11-19-2016, 01:20 PM
I love Amile but he is a horrible FT shooter. How does a guy spend 5 years in a top notch program like Duke's and NOT get to be at least a 65% shooter? I don't get it. Guessing a lot of it is just mental.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 01:22 PM
What I can say about that half is that I am glad it is over.

DU82
11-19-2016, 01:24 PM
At least Chase is back on the bench, and when the half ended walked to the locker room not visibly limping.

Took a while, but the offense is looking pretty good. This without much input from Grayson.

UrinalCake
11-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Well we're down 4 players but the guys we have are looking pretty good. Allen is clearly trying to distribute the ball rather than scoring himself, which is good to see but also a tough thing to balance. Great minutes from Vrank and Jackson is looking like a big time scorer (though not a PG, for the record).

kmspeaks
11-19-2016, 01:30 PM
At least Chase is back on the bench, and when the half ended walked to the locker room not visibly limping.

Took a while, but the offense is looking pretty good. This without much input from Grayson.

Grayson may not have put the ball in the basket very much but I think he's had a lot of input in the offense, both penetrating and passing.

DU82
11-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Grayson may not have put the ball in the basket very much but I think he's had a lot of input in the offense, both penetrating and passing.

You're correct, I'll amend my comment to "not a lot of putting it in the basket."

It looks like he's not as aggressive driving straight to the basket, more like taking an open lane and then dishing. Avoiding a lot of contact.

grossbus
11-19-2016, 01:37 PM
I see Javin is now getting the "walking foul" treatment Jeter got as a freshman

He is putting his hands on the guy as he drives. Auto foul.

grossbus
11-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Allen toe injury.

Not wanting to hear that.

DeBlueDevil
11-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Allen toe injury.

Not wanting to hear that.

Couldn't agree more. I understand we are being cautious with the freshman but having even just Jayson Tatum available would help tremendously in a game like this.

DeBlueDevil
11-19-2016, 01:50 PM
i'll never understand why K didn't play Vrank against Kansas. KU had that huge dude who grabbed a game high 12 rebs yet Vrank matched him in size and could have prevented some of their offensive rebounds and maybe grabbed one or two for us. That would have been the difference in the game.

Not sure if Vrank would've been the difference but I agree he totally would've helped. Kansas definitely was able to use their post advantage gain momentum in the 2nd half of that game.

Today in my opinion is a perfect game for Vrank though. Amile has been dominating the post. I can't imagine Vrank wouldn't at least hold his own.

grossbus
11-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Amile reminding us what could have been last year.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2016, 01:54 PM
This game is not going how I thought it would at all. Getting injured, not playing our bench guys.

DeBlueDevil
11-19-2016, 01:56 PM
This game is not going how I thought it would at all. Getting injured, not playing our bench guys.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised at K not playing guys like Vrank and Delaurier. To rest the starters if anything at all.

jacone21
11-19-2016, 01:59 PM
ESPN still riding the tripgate train. Woohoo!

Skydog
11-19-2016, 02:02 PM
Agree 100%. We were so soft inside in that game - he could have come in and gotten some much needed rebounds for us.

SlapTheFloor
11-19-2016, 02:13 PM
I see the value in concentrating the game experience on the guys you will actually use in March. And I understand there's value in teaching guys to play tired, but this seems a bit much.

Dukeford
11-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Amile reminding us what could have been last year.

I've only seen part of the game. But during that time I saw him clang 6 free throws, not even close.

Skydog
11-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I've only seen part of the game. But during that time I saw him clang 6 free throws, not even close.

True, but he also has 16 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks.