PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Kansas (Nov 15, 2016)

JBDuke
11-16-2016, 12:06 AM
Who was the Man of the Match in Duke's loss to Kansas?

Utley
11-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Luke

Ultrarunner
11-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Went with Luke for the all-round game, but Chase played really well tonight. The sophs have made a lot of progress.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Chase love 'cause he deserves it.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-16-2016, 07:58 AM
Hope we never have another game where Grayson gets 0 votes. I went with Luke.

Billy Dat
11-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Chase love 'cause he deserves it.

Co-sign, Luke was solid but I'll take Chase's two way contribution and the fact that he performed over my expectations of him.

Ichabod Drain
11-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Good improvement from Chase but some of you guys are giving Luke Kennard the Coach K Coach of the Year treatment. Dude out rebounded Chase and Amile for the record.

kAzE
11-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Guy leads the team in points, rebounds, assists, and field goal percentage . . . and only gets 78% of the vote?

mattman91
11-16-2016, 10:22 AM
But he plays with his damn hair too much :rolleyes:

Totally went with Luke, but I was very encouraged by Jeter's all around performance.

Doria
11-16-2016, 03:11 PM
I have a soft spot for both Luke and Chase (and have since they arrived last year). But objectively, there isn't really any question it has to be Luke for this game.

JasonEvans
11-17-2016, 10:48 AM
I have a soft spot for both Luke and Chase (and have since they arrived last year). But objectively, there isn't really any question it has to be Luke for this game.

Well, I dunno if this game quite falls into the "no question who the MOTM was" category.

Not that this should be our standard for picking the MOTM, but I think a pretty good case can be made that (given the strength of the opponent) this was Chase Jeter's best game in a Duke uniform. It was not Luke Kennard's best game.

-Jason "again, that is not our standard but I think the folks who voted for Chase should not feel at all bad about their choice" Evans

Ichabod Drain
11-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Well, I dunno if this game quite falls into the "no question who the MOTM was" category.

Not that this should be our standard for picking the MOTM, but I think a pretty good case can be made that (given the strength of the opponent) this was Chase Jeter's best game in a Duke uniform. It was not Luke Kennard's best game.

-Jason "again, that is not our standard but I think the folks who voted for Chase should not feel at all bad about their choice" Evans

Not to rag on you Jason but I find this funny and ironic after your Coach K COY rant on the latest podcast.

kAzE
11-17-2016, 12:16 PM

So you have to have a career game in order to be MOTM? Shooting 70% and leading the team in points, rebounds, assists isn't enough? I thought this was a "who was the most valuable player in the game?" poll.

moonpie23
11-17-2016, 02:43 PM
i picked grayson because my screen twitched just before i clicked on luke....

Doria
11-17-2016, 02:55 PM

Er, while my rhetoric may have been a bit over the top, I really wasn't trying to make anyone "feel bad" for picking other people, let alone Chase, whom I was sometimes the only one defending last season (or it felt like that, anyway)!

Also, I think you guys have known me long enough to know that, while I very much appreciate all the statisticians on this board, I am not one. So my pick could really only be an opinion. When expressing an opinion, with no real objective "fact" behind it, stating "Just my opinion, but..." is kind of redundant and, more importantly, involves more typing on the iPad's keyboard for me ;)

But uh, if I offended anyone with my comment about my personal pick, I am really sorry.

Edit: I forgot that I had qualified that with "objectively," and while it was perfectly clear in my mind that that was in response (expressed by using "but" as the coordinating conjunction, rather than "and") to the previous sentence, I can see how the sentence might have read that I thought my opinion was an objective fact. Again, apologies to any who were offended.

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2016, 03:45 PM

This is a philosophical question, right? What do you mean by MOTM? Some think it's who performed better vs expectations. Some think it's who played the best in the game regardless of talent or status. For me, it's the latter. Which is why, last year, I voted for Ingram or Grayson >90% of the time. If Marshall Plumlee scored 12 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, and had 2 blocks vs Grayson's 22 / 5 / 4 stat line (his average), I'd likely vote for Grayson even though MP3 likely surpassed everyone's expectations.

Newton_14
11-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Me thinks you guys are being a bit harsh on Mr. Evans. I read it as Jason just opining that there was no shame in voting for Chase, because it was the best game Chase had played at Duke. He did not say nor imply that "best game of career" was a requirement to win MOTM. People vote different guys for MOTM all the time for various reasons. More often than not though, the player that had the best performance in a given game ends up with the most votes.

Geesh tough crowd tonight! :)

Carry on!