PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread, v3.0

Pages : [1] 2

Ultrarunner
11-15-2016, 05:07 PM
It's back!

I was going to wait until things settled down at the start of the season, but it seems the Duke curse is already paying dues.

Now I'll Duck in case I inadvertently invoked the jinx rule, something that I wouldn't want to Bear.

Have fun, folks!

Tripping William
11-15-2016, 06:02 PM
1-0. :)

Ultrarunner
11-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Flinty resolve going on an early spring break? Watching it like an Eagle.

devildeac
11-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Flinty resolve going on an early spring break? Watching it like an Eagle.

Dang. Close one.

FGCU 77 Michigan St. 78

Olympic Fan
11-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Dang. Close one.

FGCU 77 Michigan St. 78

Some funny business in East Lansing on the final shot. FGCU has the ball with 1.6 seconds left under its own basket. The clock apparently starts when the ball was thrown in, not when it was touched inbounds. The buzzer was sounding as the FGCU player catches the ball. The refs issue some kind of statement that the play cannot be reviewed unless the last-second shot had gone in.

Of course, from Duke's POC (and SOS) better that MSU won.

Duke79UNLV77
11-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Dang. Close one.

FGCU 77 Michigan St. 78

Almost as amazing as how often Mich State goes on runs in the tournament is how often it turns in real clunkers and underachieves early in the year. It's like Izzo thrives on scrapping back from hitting rock bottom.

Olympic Fan
11-21-2016, 12:21 AM
ESPN story about how the refs screwed up the end of the MSU-FGCU game:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18101192/michigan-state-holds-game-ending-clock-error-spoils-fgcu-last-second-shot

duke4ever19
11-21-2016, 01:27 AM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18101192/michigan-state-holds-game-ending-clock-error-spoils-fgcu-last-second-shot

If Sparty benefits from that situation, it's still a bad call, but hey, anything can happen in sports. If Duke benefits from that call, the conspiracy theorists emerge, claiming a massive conspiracy between Coach K and the NCAA. :rolleyes:

uh_no
11-21-2016, 08:47 AM

sucks, yeah...but the refs said they timed it and it still took him 1.3 seconds to get the shot off, and he still missed....so it's not like he had to rush, as that's about all the time he had anyway, and this likely didn't impact the outcome of the game.

That said, I'm highly suspicious of a "clock malfunction"...someone screwed up and started the clock, and won't own up to it. The clock start is one of those things that absolutely needs to be correct...since it is SO hard to correct later....OOB and clock stops are easy....but how the play progresses is affected by the numbers on the clock, which is why it makes sense for crazies to be shouting the wrong ones all the time at the other team.

DoubleDuke Dad
11-21-2016, 11:15 AM
sucks, yeah...but the refs said they timed it and it still took him 1.3 seconds to get the shot off, and he still missed...so it's not like he had to rush, as that's about all the time he had anyway, and this likely didn't impact the outcome of the game.

That said, I'm highly suspicious of a "clock malfunction"...someone screwed up and started the clock, and won't own up to it. The clock start is one of those things that absolutely needs to be correct...since it is SO hard to correct later...OOB and clock stops are easy...but how the play progresses is affected by the numbers on the clock, which is why it makes sense for crazies to be shouting the wrong ones all the time at the other team.

I am not sure that anyone on this board would remember, but there was a similar last second play many years ago where the man who caught the ball was able to take a dribble to set himself before he took the shot. I believe that it went in. In this case the shooter heard the horn just as he was catching the ball so he had to shoot it immediately. That just may have affected the accuracy of the shot.

Newton_14
11-21-2016, 11:46 AM
sucks, yeah...but the refs said they timed it and it still took him 1.3 seconds to get the shot off, and he still missed...so it's not like he had to rush, as that's about all the time he had anyway, and this likely didn't impact the outcome of the game.

That said, I'm highly suspicious of a "clock malfunction"...someone screwed up and started the clock, and won't own up to it. The clock start is one of those things that absolutely needs to be correct...since it is SO hard to correct later...OOB and clock stops are easy...but how the play progresses is affected by the numbers on the clock, which is why it makes sense for crazies to be shouting the wrong ones all the time at the other team.

I would only disagree on the comment of impacting the game. The players clearly heard the buzzer and the sound of the buzzer very likely impacted the shooter. It confused him and I think he rushed the shot attempt because of that. Maybe he misses anyway, but we will never know how he would have reacted and shot it if he hadn't heard the buzzer upon catching the pass...

SCMatt33
11-21-2016, 01:32 PM
I would only disagree on the comment of impacting the game. The players clearly heard the buzzer and the sound of the buzzer very likely impacted the shooter. It confused him and I think he rushed the shot attempt because of that. Maybe he misses anyway, but we will never know how he would have reacted and shot it if he hadn't heard the buzzer upon catching the pass...

Looking at the replay, the clock his zero as he's turning and rising into his shooting motion, so the error likely didn't impact what shot he took (given that he took 1.3 to catch turn and shoot, this was probably the intention all along). What it absolutely might have impacted was his shooting form as he probably short armed it upon hearing the buzzer. I think the bigger issue is what can be done about it in the future. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much to be done. The only other fair rule you could implement would be to automatically replay any game ending play that started with a clock error, which would mean resetting that play...even if the shot had gone in. Unless I'm missing something, any other rule would add way too much subjectivity (if the play was substantially affected or some wording like that). Imagine if that shot had gone in. MSU players were already raising their hands to celebrate as he shot the ball. The bottom line is you have to get the clock right. Perhaps you have to designate the fourth official at the table as a clock watcher in that scenario and give him the ability to whistle the play dead for a redo as soon as he sees an early or late start.

uh_no
11-21-2016, 02:22 PM

possibly...I think my argument was based on the fact that he was only .3 seconds early. Had he taken his time, perhaps he wouldn't have gotten it off at all. Is .3 the difference between a rushed and not-rushed shot? Maybe.

JasonEvans
11-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Looking at the replay, the clock his zero as he's turning and rising into his shooting motion, so the error likely didn't impact what shot he took (given that he took 1.3 to catch turn and shoot, this was probably the intention all along). What it absolutely might have impacted was his shooting form as he probably short armed it upon hearing the buzzer. I think the bigger issue is what can be done about it in the future. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much to be done. The only other fair rule you could implement would be to automatically replay any game ending play that started with a clock error, which would mean resetting that play...even if the shot had gone in. Unless I'm missing something, any other rule would add way too much subjectivity (if the play was substantially affected or some wording like that). Imagine if that shot had gone in. MSU players were already raising their hands to celebrate as he shot the ball. The bottom line is you have to get the clock right. Perhaps you have to designate the fourth official at the table as a clock watcher in that scenario and give him the ability to whistle the play dead for a redo as soon as he sees an early or late start.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the clock is the responsibility of the home team, right? The person who handles the clock is employed by the home team. I sorta think that in the event of a clear clock error, one that the officials deem interfered with game play, the visiting team should have the option to either accept the clock error or replay from the point where the clock error began. In other words, if your clock guy cannot operate the clock properly, you suffer the penalty. Does that make sense?

So, in the case of last night's situation, I think everyone would agree that having a loud buzzer go off as you are shooting could affect the accuracy of your shot. So, the clock error interfered with the final play. In that case, FGCU would get the option to replay the play because they missed the shot. Had the shot gone in, they could have elected to keep the play (because the officials ruled that, despite the clock error, the shot was taken in time).

Similarly, back in 1997 when the UVA clock operator forgot to start the clock in time -- giving Wojo extra time to get down court, get fouled, and hit the winning FTs -- Duke would elect to keep the play as it was because the clock error favored the Blue Devils. Everyone remember that clock error?

Anyway, I suppose the problem with all this is that many clocks are now tied to officials whistles, aren't they? The scorer's table does not control the clock as much as they used to, I believe. So this entire post may be moot. Oh well.

-Jason "this is a really tough one to resolve, but it sure feels like FGCU got robbed a little bit" Evans

MChambers
11-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Jason,

My understanding is that one of the referees starts the clock, at least in the last few minutes of the game. That's what one of the articles said happened in yesterday's game.

Matt

SCMatt33
11-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Jason,

My understanding is that one of the referees starts the clock, at least in the last few minutes of the game. That's what one of the articles said happened in yesterday's game.

Matt

I think you're both right. The operator is employed by the home team, by he refs are primarily responsible for starting and stopping. I believe they have a button to start it and some kind of acoustic system with the whistle to stop it, but I'm not 100%. The big ten has already acknowledged it was an officaial that made the error and not the operator.

Ultrarunner
11-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Can Chris Collins out-Smart the Longhorns?

devildeac
11-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Can Chris Collins out-Smart the Longhorns?

Worked again. ;)

Ultrarunner
11-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Okay, it's not going to happen but the Fort Wayne Mastodons took a 2 point lead into halftime against the Hoosiers.

Maybe they have Hackman as a coach and Jimmy Chitwood shooting from the Picket Fence set?

toughbuff1
11-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Okay, it's not going to happen but the Fort Wayne Mastodons took a 2 point lead into halftime against the Hoosiers.

Maybe they have Hackman as a coach and Jimmy Chitwood shooting from the Picket Fence set?

I think you're supposed to say something along the lines of "Hoosier favorite extinct animal? Mine's the Mastodon!" To make it work properly ;-)

Ultrarunner
11-22-2016, 10:26 PM
I think you're supposed to say something along the lines of "Hoosier favorite extinct animal? Mine's the Mastodon!" To make it work properly ;-)

Was aiming more at the reverse jinx angle.

Yours is funnier.

Mastodon's up 7 with 13 to go. How good are they sitting on a lead?

PS - I'll also point out that Tripping William does a great job with song references. Not sure there is one for Fort Wayne or Mastadons

OldPhiKap
11-22-2016, 10:27 PM

Mammoth.

Ultrarunner
11-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Mammoth.

Mammoths were bigger than mastodons. (I think.) They sat on whatever they wanted.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Have I ever mentioned that Oklahoma State is my second-favorite team?

Ultrarunner
11-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Have I ever mentioned that Oklahoma State is my second-favorite team?

I'm sorry?

Ultrarunner
11-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Biggest victory for Mastodons in the last 10,000 years?

toughbuff1
Things looked a little wooly for awhile, but in the end, they showed their (fort) Worth.

Blue KevIL
It's a FINAL:

OT
Indiana (#3) - 68
Fort Wayne - 71

rsvman
11-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Tomorrow's news teaser:

Ultrarunner completely misunderstands purpose of thread; gets away with it. Story at 11.

Ultrarunner
11-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Tomorrow's news teaser:

Ultrarunner completely misunderstands purpose of thread; gets away with it. Story at 11.

Shoot. The dreaded "must spread comments around" admonishment. No spork for you, no fault of mine, I tried.

Still, to the point, better lucky than good? :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Tomorrow's news teaser:

To be perfectly fair, Ultra runner did call the biggest upset in recent history about two weeks ago.

Tripping William
11-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Was aiming more at the reverse jinx angle.

Yours is funnier.

PS - I'll also point out that Tripping William does a great job with song references. Not sure there is one for Fort Wayne or Mastadons

Appreciate the shout-out. This is probably my favorite thread of the season.

No song references for this one. Best I have is that Major Frank Burns (http://mash.wikia.com/wiki/Major_Frank_Burns) is from Fort Wayne, and Maya Angelou's 1993 inauguration poem (http://poetry.eserver.org/angelou.html) has an early mastodon reference.

And, although this thread is Ultrarunner's baby, I'll clarify (for anyone for whom this is actually Version 1.0 of the thread) that the spirit of it, in an effort to replace the old "Upset Alert" threads, is to talk about anything other than the impending upset, so as not to jinx the upset. So, for Fort Wayne vs. IU, an "in keeping with the spirit of the thread" post would be to talk about one's interest in paleontology, or one's favorite Frank Burns episode of M*A*S*H, or how Norman Dale made his way from Ithaca to Hickory High.

But, ultimately, the thread is about silliness and fun.

As to Sparty, they really just got this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHrewb_8rKg).

devildeac
11-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Shoot. The dreaded "must spread comments around" admonishment. No spork for you, no fault of mine, I tried.

Still, to the point, better lucky than good? :)

Covered you. ;)

You're rolling this year so far.

Ultrarunner
11-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Covered you. ;)

You're rolling this year so far.

I think the reverse jinx worked* because I invoked Hoosiers and Jimmy "I'll make it" Chitwood. I'm convince the fundamental force in the universe is Murphy's Law, with a heavy dose of irony.

*I know, jinxes, non-jinxes, reverse-jinx don't really work. Play, people.

-jk
11-23-2016, 12:17 PM
I think the reverse jinx worked* because I invoked Hoosiers and Jimmy "I'll make it" Chitwood. I'm convince the fundamental force in the universe is Murphy's Law, with a heavy dose of irony.

*I know, jinxes, non-jinxes, reverse-jinx don't really work. Play, people.

Don't forget weauxing and faux-weauxing!

-jk

Indoor66
11-23-2016, 12:21 PM
faux-weauxing

Isn't that the process used for getting a high-gloss sheen on an automobile! :p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-23-2016, 12:32 PM
To be perfectly fair, Ultra runner did call the biggest upset in recent history about two weeks ago.

Oh wait, duh. Different "U" user.

devildeac
11-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Visitors might make a Beilein out of Columbia this evening.

Tripping William
11-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Visitors might make a Beilein out of Columbia this evening.

I hear Cartagena and Barranquilla are beautiful, though.

Ultrarunner
11-23-2016, 10:55 PM
While considering the travesty that is Carolina-Wisky, I'm distracted by butterflies. Monarchs, to be precise.

I should put on one of my old Elton John albums. Forgot which one has Butterflies are Free to Fly, though

rsvman
11-23-2016, 11:14 PM
I read somewhere that butterflies can fly higher than cardinals......can't remember where I saw it...

madscavenger
11-24-2016, 01:57 AM
i was pretty nervous there as the final seconds ticked away. After all, Mastodons have a storied history of going cold at the line.

Indoor66
11-24-2016, 07:33 AM
i was pretty nervous there as the final seconds ticked away. After all, Mastodons have a storied history of going cold at the line.

And for extremely long periods of time....

DU82
11-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Rams and sheep are natural prey of wolves, right? (Hey, nothing in the title says this has to be just for badketball!)

Ultrarunner
11-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Rams and sheep are natural prey of wolves, right? (Hey, nothing in the title says this has to be just for badketball!)

Correct. We don't have to Pack the thread with just basketball.

devildeac
11-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Correct. We don't have to Pack the thread with just basketball.

Hoping for more baaaaad things for the cheaters.

Acymetric
11-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Really really awful late hit out of bounds call against NC State.

loran16
11-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Can't jinx it anymore! UNCheat loses Coastal Division by losing to Duke and State. Ahhh the tears of unfathomable sadness......

moonpie23
11-25-2016, 03:40 PM
heels looked good ;)

Indoor66
11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
There is some justice. unCheat goes 0 & 2 in the Triangle & No division championship. Talk about the gang that can't cheat straight.... 😭😂😎

PDDuke85
11-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Congrats UNCheat on winning yet another Runner Up banner. Sleep well Heel faithful, this one ought to safe once sanctions levied.

rsvman
11-25-2016, 10:20 PM
It turns out that a high percentage of turtles have arachnophobia.

moonpie23
11-25-2016, 10:40 PM
the hat is at his best when he's losing.....i just love watching that...

Ultrarunner
11-25-2016, 11:13 PM
It turns out that a high percentage of turtles have arachnophobia.

Do tell. So singing "Itsy-Bitsy Spider went down and shot a 3" would be inappropriate?

Ultrarunner
11-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Gators never bite off more than they can chew. They swallow Bulldogs whole.

Ultrarunner
11-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Gators never bite off more than they can chew. They swallow Bulldogs whole.

Of course, sometimes they gag and choke on Bulldogs, too. Plus, they short-arm their threes something terrible.

superdave
11-26-2016, 07:30 AM
Can't jinx it anymore! UNCheat loses Coastal Division by losing to Duke and State. Ahhh the tears of unfathomable sadness...

heels looked good ;)

There is some justice. unCheat goes 0 & 2 in the Triangle & No division championship. Talk about the gang that can't cheat straight... 😭😂😎

Congrats UNCheat on winning yet another Runner Up banner. Sleep well Heel faithful, this one ought to safe once sanctions levied.

It's a celebration!

Furniture
11-30-2016, 10:59 PM
Will the cheeters be hosed?

Ultrarunner
11-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Waaaaiiiiiiiiiit

Ultrarunner
11-30-2016, 11:10 PM
Watching a daughter, a granddaughter, and my sweetie decorate the tree. Brandy in the egg nog. Christmas tunes on Pandora.

Still, a 70's pop tune keeps humming in the background.

Out there the law's a comin',
I'm gettin' so tired of runnin'

ChillinDuke
11-30-2016, 11:15 PM
God I love Nate Britt.

- Chillin

Ultrarunner
11-30-2016, 11:19 PM
God I love Nate Britt.

- Chillin

So does Wheat! :)

moonpie23
11-30-2016, 11:25 PM
nah nah nah nah...hey hey...good bye

Ultrarunner
11-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Will the cheeters be hosed?

Impossible to hose the Cheaters. It's just desserts.

subzero02
12-01-2016, 01:24 AM
2 wins against #2... Hoosier your pick for the Crean of the crop amongst the 12 teams in the big 10?

moonpie23
12-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Jay Bilas doing some soul searching....

flyingdutchdevil
12-01-2016, 10:24 AM
God I love Nate Britt.

- Chillin

Didn't watch the game. Can you please elaborate on Natt-Britt-Pre-Season-ACC-Player-of-the-Year's game yesterday?

tbyers11
12-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Didn't watch the game. Can you please elaborate on Natt-Britt-Pre-Season-ACC-Player-of-the-Year's game yesterday?

Nate was his usual meh self. Couple of good plays, a couple of bad plays here. From the time stamp though, I believe Chillin' is referring to a sequence from 2:30 to 2 min with UNC down 67-60 where Britt committed a bad foul trying to draw a charge after a Meeks turnover and then missed a shot (it was a decent shot) on the next possession that effectively ended UNC's comeback attempt.

moonpie23
12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
let's enjoy this while we can......those guys are gonna be in the mix at the end....

jv001
12-01-2016, 03:59 PM
let's enjoy this while we can...those guys are gonna be in the mix at the end...

I pray not. Those cheats don't deserve anything good and that's sad, because the players on this year's team probably are ok guys. But there is no way I'll ever root for them against any team in any sport. GoDuke!

kAzE
12-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Well, IPFW beat Indiana, and Indiana beat UNC . . . so by the transitive property of inequalities . . .

Billy Dat
12-01-2016, 04:29 PM

ChillinDuke
12-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Nate was his usual meh self. Couple of good plays, a couple of bad plays here. From the time stamp though, I believe Chillin' is referring to a sequence from 2:30 to 2 min with UNC down 67-60 where Britt committed a bad foul trying to draw a charge after a Meeks turnover and then missed a shot (it was a decent shot) on the next possession that effectively ended UNC's comeback attempt.

You nailed it completely.

It was terrific.

- Chillin

Channing
12-01-2016, 06:21 PM
not wanting to jinx seems like as good a place as any for this photo apparently from FB:

Tripping William
12-01-2016, 06:35 PM
not wanting to jinx seems like as good a place as any for this photo apparently from FB:

So, what is everyone's favorite Tatum O'Neal movie? I'll take Bad News Bears. :o

slower
12-01-2016, 06:52 PM
So, what is everyone's favorite Tatum O'Neal movie? I'll take Bad News Bears. :o

She was better in "Paper Moon."

Tripping William
12-01-2016, 06:54 PM
She was better in "Paper Moon."

Or maybe in her (temporary) role as John McEnroe's wife.

Indoor66
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Why the non-sequitur?

Tripping William
12-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Why the non-sequitur?

Soft spot for Walter Matthau (may he RIP), and knew Friday the 13th wouldn't work (although apropos for this particular anti-jinx, stray "y" notwithstanding).

toughbuff1
12-03-2016, 01:56 PM
An upset may be brewin' in the blue grass state.

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2016, 02:00 PM

They are not having a Ball.

Ultrarunner
12-03-2016, 02:04 PM

I'm stuck at work (self-inflicted) and just checked in. Wooden you know it, I'm missing some fun.

toughbuff1
12-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't know why but I suddenly have a hankering for fried calamari.

toughbuff1
12-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Must be the home cooking

Indoor66
12-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm calling this one.😎

moonpie23
12-03-2016, 02:45 PM
cats scratching it up

toughbuff1
12-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Well if the home team can somehow complete the comeback, the crowd will surely eRuppt.

Indoor66
12-03-2016, 02:49 PM
They tried to blow it!

subzero02
12-03-2016, 02:53 PM
They were the Wilcats today...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-03-2016, 03:00 PM
They were the Wilcats today...

Oooh, well played.

Ultrarunner
12-07-2016, 08:41 PM
I think I can take a good guess at who Larry Legend is pulling for.

Tripping William
12-07-2016, 08:58 PM
I think I can take a good guess at who Larry Legend is pulling for.

And it ain't Alfred!

OldPhiKap
12-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Ummmmmmmm....

Edit: nm. Refs bailing 'em out.

Duke79UNLV77
12-07-2016, 11:09 PM
A few calls went UNC's way down the end. Thought Davidson should have had an and one, and then 3 UNC guys dove on top of the Davidson guy with no foul called for a held ball

Troublemaker
12-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Gotta use the "no jinx" thread. Wouldn't want to mess with the luck of the Irish.

Tripping William
12-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Gotta use the "no jinx" thread. Wouldn't want to mess with the luck of the Irish.

In the land of the cheesesteaks, them's fighting words. Am I Wright?

Troublemaker
12-10-2016, 12:47 PM
In the land of the cheesesteaks, them's fighting words. Am I Wright?

Indeed you are. Good eye.

https://goodlogo.com/images/logos/cbs_logo_3351.gif

Tripping William
12-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Indeed you are. Good eye.

https://goodlogo.com/images/logos/cbs_logo_3351.gif

Aye. Top o' the mornin' to the lads and lasses on the West Coast. Don't overlook the four-leaf clover.

Troublemaker
12-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Aye. Top o' the mornin' to the lads and lasses on the West Coast. Don't overlook the four-leaf clover.

It's good protection from Farrell cats. Real dangerous from what I've seen.

Tripping William
12-10-2016, 12:59 PM
It's good protection from Farrell cats. Real dangerous from what I've seen.

No reason to get excited .....

Troublemaker
12-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Sadly, the Farrell cat has been domesticated by three blind mice.

Number 1 not playing like "Number 2" anymore and found its Hart.

Ultrarunner
12-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Sadly, the Farrell cat has been domesticated by three blind mice.

Number 1 not playing like "Number 2" anymore and found its Hart.

As long as the Hart beats that strong, the Wildcat will not die easily. I suspect it will be an Irish Stand Down from here.

Tripping William
12-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball.

(Too much Hart, but the Domers had their chances.)

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2016, 03:08 PM
A certain ex point guard's team is doing well at the half over 17 Wisconsin.

Tripping William
12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
It's fairly early in the holiday season, but does anyone else really enjoy doing volunteer work?

subzero02
12-11-2016, 05:52 PM
No one asked me but I'll volunteer my opinion... wine, cheese and basketball create a lame environment.

wilson
12-11-2016, 06:01 PM
No one asked me but I'll volunteer my opinion... wine, cheese and basketball create a lame environment.I like creamsicles better.

Tripping William
12-11-2016, 06:42 PM
No one asked me but I'll volunteer my opinion... wine, cheese and basketball create a lame environment.

They need some lessons from the school of hard Knox.

Tripping William
12-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Rick Barnes in Chapel Hill. Shoulda known.

lotusland
12-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Just knew how that was going to end. Still the Cheaters are average without Berry.

Tripping William
12-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there is no "d" in Las Vegas?

YmoBeThere
12-17-2016, 07:19 PM

I've noticed the Matador d on a couple of occasions.

Tripping William
12-17-2016, 07:23 PM
I've noticed the Matador d on a couple of occasions.

It's like a night at the MGM Gran.

YmoBeThere
12-17-2016, 07:29 PM
It's like a night at the MGM Gran.

Or driving a Pontiac Gran Prix?

Tripping William
12-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Or driving a Pontiac Gran Prix?

This Monk is feeling the chi.

Indoor66
12-17-2016, 08:00 PM
This Monk is feeling the chi.

He rolled a lot of sevens. He also tore the heart out of the cheats.

I loved it.

DoubleBlue
12-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Davidson leading Kansas at the half, 43-42 in the Sprint Center in Kansas City.
Kansas has a 48-game home win streak on the line.
Kansas is also still the Bill Walton #1 team after beating Duke in November and not losing since.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Davidson leading Kansas at the half, 43-42 in the Sprint Center in Kansas City.
Kansas is also still the Bill Walton #1 team after beating Duke in November and not losing since.

Villanova is the returning Walton champ, not Duke.

Go Davidson!!!

Ultrarunner
12-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Davidson leading Kansas at the half, 43-42 in the Sprint Center.

Did you mention a movie starring Jennifer Lawrence that we might enjoy? Rouge Force or something like that, with a pride of Wildcats?

Tripping William
12-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Did you mention a movie starring Jennifer Lawrence that we might enjoy? Rouge Force or something like that, with a pride of Wildcats?

I always loved the Song of Solomon (ya know, David's son?).

Ultrarunner
12-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Wakey, wakey si'l vous plait?*

*Despite a French last name, I don't speak French and mostly butcher English. I'm less competent in kSwahili, Korean, and Japanese.

Tripping William
12-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Wakey, wakey si'l vous plait?*

*Despite a French last name, I don't speak French and mostly butcher English. I'm less competent in kSwahili, Korean, and Japanese.

Damn Skippy, but I hope someone is Manning the store ....

madscavenger
12-19-2016, 03:04 AM

Just got back from a week in Vegas, and yes, they do have The D (its on Fremont). We stayed at the Mirage (oh well, poor us).

Tripping William
12-28-2016, 08:37 PM
We like an Assembly of puns around here. A lot of them are corny.

brevity
12-28-2016, 08:49 PM
We like an Assembly of puns around here. A lot of them are corny.

Final: 87-83 Nebraska. I would have said "Husker do?" but at least you avoided another Hoosier pun.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Final: 87-83 Nebraska. I would have said "Husker do?" but at least you avoided another Hoosier pun.

No umlauts, no count.

tbyers11
12-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Shouldn't it be Hüsker Dïd?

Ultrarunner
12-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Out in La-La Land, they started with 2D, the funky 3D glasses in the 60s, and moved to modern 3D shows. So, in a bit of innovation, they seem to trying out No-D. Honestly can't see how this one's going to end, but you always root for the underdog.

Ducking out now for some dinner.

Troublemaker
12-31-2016, 01:56 PM
At least the team we're losing to is good...

(Not feeling punny right now.)

uh_no
12-31-2016, 01:57 PM

#GlassHouses

9f

OldPhiKap
12-31-2016, 02:00 PM
#GlassHouses

9f

Silver lining

jipops
12-31-2016, 02:04 PM

To quote a hillbilly...

"I don't give a **** about Carolina right now"

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 02:07 PM
To quote a hillbilly...

"I don't give a **** about Carolina right now"

True, but I've been humming "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" anyway. Need OPK to work the lyrics. The man's has a talent.

Merlindevildog91
12-31-2016, 03:17 PM
True, but I've been humming "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" anyway. Need OPK to work the lyrics. The man's has a talent.

I'm not OPK, but we do ply the same trade. Thanks for giving me something to focus on. A work in progress, but it's a start.

Ahem....

Ol Roy went down to Georgia,
He was looking for a win to steal,
He was in a bind,
Running out of time,
The COI was on his heels.

He came upon this young man,
Coachin' a team no one thought was hot,
Ol Roy was pumped,
And up he jumped,
And said, "boy, let me tell you what,"

"I guess you didn't know it,
But my guys don't go to class,
And while your guys are studyin',
My guys will kick their a**"

The young man said, "My name's Josh,
And it might be a shock,
But Okogie and his buddies,
Your world is gonna rock."

Josh Heath, pick up your man and play defense so hard,
Cuz the sheep are loose in Georgia and Ol Roy has all the cards,
And if you win your fans will storm the court and celebrate,
And pray to God from the NOA the sheep don't get to skate.

Ol Roy picked up his referees, his uni's and his team,
His McD's All-Americans began to gather steam,
He counted all his timeouts to make sure that they would last,
And he sent out Britt and Woods and Maye,
And told them to run fast.

And when Ol Roy had finished, young Josh said, "you think you're good, old man,
But sit down in that chair right there and let me show you

Lammers, get your points and boards and box out way so hard,

Ol Roy, he bowed his head cuz he knew that he'd been beat,
And he laid that golden "W" on the ground at Josh's feet.
And Josh, he said, "Ol Roy, come on back, if you ever wanna try again,
I done told you once, you huckleberry hound, dean ain't the best that's ever been."

Jackets, play smart as a team and fight for every board,

OldPhiKap
12-31-2016, 03:23 PM
^^ much better than anything I could have done. Bravo.

Merlindevildog91
12-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Oops. Left out a phrase....

But sit down in that chair right there and let me KICK YOU IN THE CAN....

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm not OPK, but we do ply the same trade. Thanks for giving me something to focus on. A work in progress, but it's a start.

Ahem...

Ol Roy went down to Georgia,
He was looking for a win to steal,
He was in a bind,
Running out of time,
The COI was on his heels.

He came upon this young man,
Coachin' a team no one thought was hot,
Ol Roy was pumped,
And up he jumped,
And said, "boy, let me tell you what,"

"I guess you didn't know it,
But my guys don't go to class,
And while your guys are studyin',
My guys will kick their a**"

The young man said, "My name's Josh,
And it might be a shock,
But Okogie and his buddies,
Your world is gonna rock."

Josh Heath, pick up your man and play defense so hard,

Ol Roy picked up his referees, his uni's and his team,
His McD's All-Americans began to gather steam,
He counted all his timeouts to make sure that they would last,
And he sent out Britt and Woods and Maye,
And told them to run fast.

And when Ol Roy had finished, young Josh said, "you think you're good, old man,
But sit down in that chair right there and let me show you

Lammers, get your points and boards and box out way so hard,

Ol Roy, he bowed his head cuz he knew that he'd been beat,
And he laid that golden "W" on the ground at Josh's feet.
And Josh, he said, "Ol Roy, come on back, if you ever wanna try again,
I done told you once, you huckleberry hound, dean ain't the best that's ever been."

Jackets, play smart as a team and fight for every board,

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done! Just beautiful.

Ultrarunner
12-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Oops. Left out a phrase...

But sit down in that chair right there and let me KICK YOU IN THE CAN...

You and OPK should start a thread just for parodies. Lordy, it would be fun to follow.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2016, 04:06 PM
You and OPK should start a thread just for parodies. Lordy, it would be fun to follow.

We should start a law firm. But I would have to take the NC bar.

Merlindevildog91
12-31-2016, 04:12 PM

No reciprocity? NC has new, looser, reciprocity rules.

My bar license is in VA; I haven't jumped through all the hoops and barrels in NC yet.

devildeac
12-31-2016, 04:38 PM

Come visit next football season and I'll take you to a NC bar...

Indoor66
12-31-2016, 04:59 PM

That's my kind of host! 😈😁😎

OldPhiKap
12-31-2016, 05:04 PM

That's my kind of host! 😈😁😎

dd is righteous, no doubt.

lotusland
01-01-2017, 12:30 AM

You're my inspiration
For higher education

https://youtu.be/IyMP6lkz7Co

Tripping William
01-03-2017, 07:20 PM
It may be a little early in the evening for a Robin Hood discussion, but easily my favorite character was Little John.

Troublemaker
01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
It may be a little early in the evening for a Robin Hood discussion, but easily my favorite character was Little John.

While we're at, will we BC-ing some Eagle-eyed Merry Men getting away with a steal in Winston-Salem?

Ultrarunner
01-03-2017, 07:56 PM

I'm more Kipling and grabbing hold of a tiger by the tail kind of guy. Just got to be careful when letting go.

Ultrarunner
01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
While we're at, will we BC-ing some Eagle-eyed Merry Men getting away with a steal in Winston-Salem?

Interesting, that. Who is Manning the walls against the intruders?

Tripping William
01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
I'm more Kipling and grabbing hold of a tiger by the tail kind of guy. Just got to be careful when letting go.

I'm now back to thinking about golf. I really just want my Game to Blossom.

curtis325
01-03-2017, 08:03 PM

What immortal hand or eye,. Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Ultrarunner
01-03-2017, 08:10 PM
What immortal hand or eye,. Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

I'd be okay with a simple palindromic number for symmetry, with the larger digits in the interior position.

But I'm not that 'bright'. :)

moonpie23
01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
kitty cats stuck in the cat box.....had a chance, and didn't cover...

Ultrarunner
01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Well, I got my palindrome in regulation.

Gotta earn your stripes, fellows.

devildeac
01-03-2017, 09:01 PM
The famous feline hairball with 5 seconds left in regulation.

moonpie23
01-03-2017, 09:06 PM
kitty cats wetting the bed

Tripping William
01-03-2017, 09:11 PM
This game isn't doing my Hartwell. Blech.

Ultrarunner
01-03-2017, 09:13 PM
This game isn't doing my Hartwell. Blech.

Devildeac nailed it.

Hairball.

Amazing.

'Cuz it's Clemson.

I should know better.

moonpie23
01-03-2017, 09:27 PM
clemson coach giving roy an ear full at the "shake".......roy trying to apologize .......show boatin?

Ultrarunner
01-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Totally distracted by our game, but wondering how Bears flipping quarters in a Cyclone ends.

Ps. In the time I took to write the post, the Bears barely survive.

Ultrarunner
01-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Just a question for the sub-set of jinxers and ACC Wager participants.

Are ya nuts?

I can think of a Pack o' reasons to not test the luck of the Irish, one of my Cardinal rules being to avoid seeming too Cavalier in Pitting myself against fate. Less Hokie than you might think.

devildeac
01-04-2017, 11:12 PM
"Sweet Caroline"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGqaMkoiyg

Ultrarunner
01-04-2017, 11:19 PM
"Sweet Caroline"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGqaMkoiyg

I had no idea that was a 'thing'. Now I'm off to find out why.

devildeac
01-04-2017, 11:22 PM
I had no idea that was a 'thing'. Now I'm off to find out why.

Interesting story. Here ya go:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2010/11/26/How-Sweet-Caroline-became-the-Pitt-fans-singalong/stories/201011260183

Ultrarunner
01-07-2017, 02:05 PM
WHoya vote for most unpredictable team?

arnie
01-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Baptism at home?

devildeac
01-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Baptism at home?

Hoo are you trying to kid here?

arnie
01-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Hoo are you trying to kid here?

Cancel that - Greeks don't make good deacons.

Ultrarunner
01-11-2017, 09:40 PM
I want to believe . . .

Wake me if dreams really come true.

Troublemaker
01-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Cancel that - Greeks don't make good deacons.

They also don't typically like the euro-Zone, but tonight they do!

mr. synellinden
01-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Shhh ... you're going to Wake up the Childress.

Troublemaker
01-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Shhh ... you're going to Wake up the Childress.

And his pregnant mother carrying his Wilbekin. (OMG - groan!)

JasonEvans
01-16-2017, 01:13 PM
You know the saying, "The butler did it"... well I hope the Butler doesn't do it today.

curtis325
01-21-2017, 12:28 PM
A cream pie would be nice.

Tripping William
01-21-2017, 12:43 PM
A cream pie would be nice.

Preceded by baked beans.

devildeac
01-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Reptilian troubles?

Ultrarunner
01-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Doing a quick check-in while I take a break from writing and before I go to work to see reasons for my hopes to soar.

Check in again later, gator.

devildeac
01-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Hey Bulldog?

Tripping William
01-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Marq it down: Crate 'N' Barrel is a great place to shop

devildeac
01-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Sadly, in the end, the butler did it.

devildeac
01-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Marq it down: Crate 'N' Barrel is a great place to shop

You really got your wojo working.

rsvman
01-21-2017, 05:47 PM
It's possible that this near-perfect Saturday may be bruined....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-21-2017, 05:48 PM
It's possible that this near-perfect Saturday may be bruined...

One heckuva game going there. Fun pace

rsvman
01-24-2017, 10:04 PM
I'd volunteer to win a basketball game....

Troublemaker
01-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Wojo switch the channel to FS1, please?

fisheyes
01-24-2017, 10:14 PM
wojo switch the channel to fs1, please?

go wojo!!!!

devildeac
01-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Country roads, take me home...

devildeac
01-24-2017, 10:38 PM
I'd volunteer to win a basketball game...

Things a bit rocky but we may not be able to top this one if the score holds...

moonpie23
01-24-2017, 11:25 PM
well, that was nice....

rsvman
01-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Loved it!

Ultrarunner
01-25-2017, 07:43 PM
If ya'll figure out the season, feel free to pass on the secret. TECHnically, it should be easy to figure out the major mismatches and plan accordingly. I can't even claim this as a Seminole event for a season filled with weirdness.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 07:46 PM
If ya'll figure out the season, feel free to pass on the secret. TECHnically, it should be easy to figure out the major mismatches and plan accordingly. I can't even claim this as a Seminole event for a season filled with weirdness.

I'm not sure Paul Johnson ever had that big a lead in the first half.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Question for DBR posters:

Hoy'all doing tonight?

Tripping William
01-25-2017, 07:59 PM

I'm not sure Paul Johnson ever had that big a lead in the first half.

Y'all have completely wrecked this thread. I'm gonna go search for tickets to Hamilton.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Y'all have completely wrecked this thread. I'm gonna go search for tickets to Hamilton.

Feel free to bzzzzz right out of here then.

But, I know you're only joshing us.

Tripping William
01-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Feel free to bzzzzz right out of here then.

But, I know you're only joshing us.

What's past[ner] is past[ner].

El_Diablo
01-25-2017, 08:13 PM
That score just does not make any sense whatsoever.

weezie
01-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Doesn't this thread, more often than not, usually jinx "it"?

Tripping William
01-25-2017, 08:22 PM

No. Just look at last night's results ..... :o

Ultrarunner
01-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Nope, nada, couldn't bee . . .

devildeac
01-25-2017, 08:57 PM
One team not doing well when they just jacket up at the rim.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 10:52 PM
No bluebirds of happiness tonight.

devildeac
01-28-2017, 01:14 PM
It's a bit early so I'm not going to badger anyone with this one for a while again.

devildeac
01-28-2017, 01:15 PM
It's a bit early so I'm not going to badger anyone with this one for a while again.

Orange you glad?

curtis325
01-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Oranges don't taste so sweet in Florida.

mr. synellinden
01-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Yes, because there is certainly some buzz about that dame that is unflattering.

Ultrarunner
01-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Yes, because there is certainly some buzz about that dame that is unflattering.

Hoping that buzz turns into a Hurricane.

What a year . . .

Troublemaker
01-28-2017, 01:23 PM

exCuse me for being lazy and just quoting you

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Oranges taste good, so far today.

Doria
01-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Don't get your Irish up...

mr. synellinden
01-28-2017, 01:52 PM
33-7?

devildeac
01-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Wait, when did these teams move back to the old Big East?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400914938

Doria
01-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Well, no one can accuse them of underachieving this game...

devildeac
01-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Hoping that buzz turns into a Hurricane.

What a year . . .

I'll bet they just cane't hold on in the second half.

Tripping William
01-28-2017, 02:17 PM
To get away from the winter blahs, there's nothing I like more than seeing Coral reefs and reading "Anne of [Orange and] Green Gables."

Rich
01-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Hurri, cane you finish this game already?

Ultrarunner
01-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Hurri, cane you finish this game already?

You know the losing team always delays the final reckoning by using all their time-outs . . . Oh, my bad.

Continue with your viewing pleasure.

slower
01-28-2017, 02:45 PM
I really wish I hadn't checked the score. That's usually the kiss of death.

mattman91
01-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Nothing insightful or witty to say other than to state the obvious. The ACC is NASTY.

rsvman
01-29-2017, 04:48 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight.....

Troublemaker
01-29-2017, 04:50 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight...

If you DID have a dog, I'd bet one of his fultz would be markelling his territory all over the place.

rsvman
01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
If you DID have a dog, I'd bet one of his fultz would be markelling his territory all over the place.

Precisely.

But apparently I spoke too soon.

MarkD83
01-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Irish eyes will smile tonight....

Darn I jinxed them!

MarkD83
01-30-2017, 09:35 PM
It worked

Tripping William
01-31-2017, 08:48 PM
Quit Stalling; BTTT

duke4ever19
01-31-2017, 08:51 PM
Quit Stalling; BTTT

Last couple possessions have been the pitts.

Tripping William
01-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Last couple possessions have been the pitts.

That's not Berry nice.

Duke79UNLV77
01-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Artis was going up for the shot when Squidward fouled him. Should have been 3 FTs.

duke4ever19
01-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Well, the bad team won, but Justin Jackson is still one strange looking dude.

Yeah, I'm taking the low-hanging fruit, dadgummit.

DU82
01-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, Inspector Clouseau ended up returning the diamond to its rightful place.

Newton_14
01-31-2017, 09:16 PM
So I take it Pitt played them tight and had a chance til the end?

By the way... wake me up please when uncCheat actually has one tough game on the road.... like say @Louisville, @ FSU, @ UVA, etc.....

The only tough road game I am aware of for those cheatin bastards is @Duke next week and hey we are just middle of the pack conference foe so we want count as a "tough game" ha.... :):cool::rolleyes:

duke4ever19
01-31-2017, 10:41 PM
So I take it Pitt played them tight and had a chance til the end?

By the way... wake me up please when uncCheat actually has one tough game on the road... like say @Louisville, @ FSU, @ UVA, etc...

The only tough road game I am aware of for those cheatin bastards is @Duke next week and hey we are just middle of the pack conference foe so we want count as a "tough game" ha... :):cool::rolleyes:

Wow, I just checked. You're right, they have had a rather soft road conference schedule up till now, and the one I would peg as tough (@Miami) they lost. Plus, they lost at GT. I hope that somehow plays to our advantage and they spend the first half shell-shocked by the atmosphere in CIS. I can dream, anyway.

brevity
01-31-2017, 11:16 PM
Brent Musberger chasing Ashley Judd right now. What a dawg.

moonpie23
02-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Brent Musberger chasing Ashley Judd right now.

envy

tbyers11
02-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Brent Musberger chasing Ashley Judd right now. What a dawg.

Did he catch her? :D

madscavenger
02-02-2017, 05:11 AM
Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Brent Musberger chasing Ashley Judd right now.

moonpie23

envy

She's just playin' hard to get. Pretty transparent, ain't it?

El_Diablo
02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Anyone watching Game of Thrones? Episode 9 of Season 1 is on right now.

Rich
02-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Anyone watching Game of Thrones? Episode 9 of Season 1 is on right now.

Hmmm, looking at the college bball scoreboard and trying to figure out the reference. Or are you really watching Game of Thrones Episode 9, Season 1?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Hmmm, looking at the college bball scoreboard and trying to figure out the reference. Or are you really watching Game of Thrones Episode 9, Season 1?

Imdb makes it pretty clear. Wildcats and Bears.

Rich
02-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Getting awfully windy in Kansas right now

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Getting awfully windy in Kansas right now

Must be the dust

timmy c
02-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Dorthy gale and toto working hard!

KenTankerous
02-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Auntie em!!! Auntie em!!!!

weezie
02-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Geebus the ducks on their duck poop court

devildeac
02-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Not sure I can bear to check on any more scores.

devildeac
02-04-2017, 05:23 PM
X-actly.

oakvillebluedevil
02-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Ducks 16-21 on 3s at one point....wow

devildeac
02-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Ducks 16-21 on 3s at one point...wow

Likely due to the fact Arizona players can't possibly see on that incredibly awful court. :eek:

timmy c
02-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Ducks 16-21 on 3s at one point...wow

Not sure you understand how this thread works...
Try, "16 ducks in a row, letting it fly from outside the woods".

Indoor66
02-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Not sure you understand how this thread works...
Try, "16 ducks in a row, letting it fly from outside the woods".

I'll go with my 12ga.

devildeac
02-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I'll go with my 12ga.

Might take more than that today, they're flying way above that altitude now.