PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Ranks the Top 100 Men's BBall Players

kAzE
11-15-2016, 04:31 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18009172/college-basketball-top-100-players-2016-2017-season

It's an interesting read, but shows that ESPN, like most media gravitate towards the flashy players, because once again . . . Amile gets no respect. If we're going by "contributions in the 2016-17 season," which is how they supposedly are rating these players, in my opinion, there's no way he's lower than the 3rd best player on this team.

Also . . . Luke at #64 is pretty insane. If he were on a team like Gonzaga and were the go-to guy, he'd be top 20.

flyingdutchdevil
11-15-2016, 04:52 PM
ESPN writers rated players and these ratings were ranked. Duke had the following ranked players:

#64: Luke Kennard
#45: Amile Jefferson
#38: Harry Giles
#32: Frank Jackson
#30: Marques Bolden
#18: Jayson Tatum
#1: Grayson Allen

No team has more than 4 players other than Duke. And we have 7. Kansas has 4. Kentucky has 4. UNC has 4.

The biggest surprise to me is that ACC-Preseason-Player-of-the-Year-Nate-Britt didn't crack the top 10. He's not even ranked! /sarcasm

Bob Green
11-15-2016, 05:06 PM

I dislike these type lists for various reasons. The reason I'll point out here is the inclusion of freshmen. The basketball world has no idea how good or not good the listed freshmen are going to be over the course of the season. Jackson has been very impressive so far but he has yet to face serious competition, while Giles, Bolden and Tatum have yet to transition out of street clothes.

Each player (especially freshmen) needs to run his own race.

NSDukeFan
11-15-2016, 07:29 PM
ESPN writers rated players and these ratings were ranked. Duke had the following ranked players:

#64: Luke Kennard
#45: Amile Jefferson
#1: Grayson Allen

No team has more than 4 players other than Duke. And we have 7. Kansas has 4. Kentucky has 4. UNC has 4.

The biggest surprise to me is that ACC-Preseason-Player-of-the-Year-Nate-Britt didn't crack the top 10. He's not even ranked! /sarcasm
Marques may have more potential, but I feel confident that Amile will have a greater impact this year. If not, that would be awfully impressive for the young freshman.

Papa John
11-15-2016, 08:52 PM
If we're going by "contributions in the 2016-17 season," which is how they supposedly are rating these players...

... Then how in the heck are Giles, Bolden, and Tatum even ranked? They haven't played a minute of ball in the regular season yet!

Agree, Jefferson is waaaayyyyyy under-ranked... For Duke players, it should be Allen #1, Jefferson #2, then take your pick... (based on the criteria stated—contributions [thus far] in the current season, I'd have it Allen, Jefferson, then Kennard and Jackson closely bunched, with a TK on the other three frosh... Just sayin'...