PDA

View Full Version : Dukies on 2017 PGA Tour

sagegrouse
11-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Streels had a good week, placing fourth in the OHL Classic at Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen, Yucatan. He finished at -17, four shots behind the winner, Pat Perez.

The 2017 season began in October. After four tournaments, Kevin is now 26th in the 2017 FedEx Cup standings.

duke79
11-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Streels had a good week, placing fourth in the OHL Classic at Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen, Yucatan. He finished at -17, four shots behind the winner, Pat Perez.

The 2017 season began in October. After four tournaments, Kevin is now 26th in the 2017 FedEx Cup standings.

Why does the PGA tour have to start the 2017 season in October of 2016?? This drives me crazy.

JasonEvans
11-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Why does the PGA tour have to start the 2017 season in October of 2016?? This drives me crazy.

It is like the corporate fiscal year. "Today is October 11th, 2016 and 3M just reported earnings for the first quarter of 2017..."

--Jason "Whaaaaat? Do they have a crystal ball?" Evans

rsvman
11-14-2016, 05:40 PM

I dunno, revenue, perhaps?:p

If it makes you feel any better, they call it the "wraparound" season. Yeah, I didn't think it would help, but there you go.

Streelman really had a good chance of winning this thing. Missed two fairly simple birdie putts in the last 5 holes, and ended up bogeying 18. Still a really good tournament for Streels. (By the way, he has the Duke blue devil logo on the shaft of every iron in his bag! You gotta love it!

sagegrouse
11-14-2016, 06:21 PM

The problem was this post-FedEx Cup/Tour Championship part of the season was a vermiform appendix on the PGA Tour body -- it couldn't even offer FedEx Cup points because the FedEx Cup had occurred. This is designed to make it less anti-climatic. Also, it seems to be good for our man Streels, who has had good results in the fall season.

Confusing -- but a positive.

Kindly,
Sage

91devil
11-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Let's not forget Ryan Blaum, Class of 2006, who is a rookie on a tour this year. So far four tournaments played and four cuts made. Top 30 currently in FedEx points.

Very solid start.

duketaylor
11-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Tour school starts in October and goes into early December; it's 3 stages long and spaced out with about 3 weeks between stages/tournaments. So, once the Tour Championship is complete, in October, i.e. end of the season, they used to have what was called the "silly season" before the Tour would start up in January with the Tournament of Champions in Hawai'i. The "silly season" was a bunch of random tournaments with no real purpose, some of which were team tourneys, etc. The Tour decided to change their season as pro golf prospered, thanks to Tiger. Now these tourneys have more meaning as they're included in the entire tour season.
I'm not thrilled by this either, but that's how it's evolved. Golf is more global than ever, now year-round.

Ryan Blaum is another Duke grad on tour this year, fyi.

Go Streels and Go Ryan!!!

Duke "4 years of Q-school is not a fun thing" taylor

arnie
11-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Let's not forget Ryan Blaum, Class of 2006, who is a rookie on a tour this year. So far four tournaments played and four cuts made. Top 30 currently in FedEx points.

Very solid start.

Thanks - didn't realize he qualified. Guess Wes Roach will try to qualify again next year.