PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast with Ryan Kelly

JasonEvans
11-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Forgot to post this to forum when it went live last night, but here is the latest podcast (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-61-the-season-starts-and-we-chat-with-ryan-kelly).

Hope ya'll enjoy my interview with Ryan Kelly!

0:00 Welcome to a jam packed podcast!! We begin by wondering about the fate of the victory bell
2:50 Hey, the basketball season started. We talk a bit about the Marist and Grand Canyon games
17:05 We present a preview of Kansas. We are worried about their physical guards.
31:10 Jason interviews former Duke great and current Atlanta Hawk Ryan Kelly
38:40 Jason asks the question we are all dying to know -- Kobe or Austin, who passes more?
42:40 The big question from every Duke interview -- tell us your greatest Coach K story
46:40 We react to the interview and how much we loved Ryan's story about Coach K
53:50 Recruiting news - Gary Trent Jr. is the newest member of the Blue Devil family
59:10 Football roundup - Down goes the Tarheels!
1:10:00 Player of the week - Donald likes the freshman, Jason likes the soph, and Sam picks a senior... put another way, none of us chose Grayson Allen.
1:14:35 Parting shots - Jason rants about Coach K getting no respect
1:18:40 Parting shots - Donald thinks Kentucky is soooo jealous of Duke
1:25:20 Parting shots - Sam with a shout out to the Duke field hockey team on their strong season
1:26:20 Good bye!

UrinalCake
11-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Great interview with Ryan! What I remember about that game is that the entire season we had this feeling that we were a good team, but needed Ryan back in order to be considered legitimate title contenders. Without him stretching the floor, opponents could double team Mason inside and we didn't have another big to take that pressure off of him. So when Ryan had that huge first game, there was this feeling of not only being so happy for Ryan but also feeling like our team was now a title favorite. I also remember that earlier in the season, in one of the first games without Ryan, we had gotten blown out on the road by Miami by something like 30 points. So there was also this sense that things had come full circle and we were a completely different team with him.

The fact that he had only practiced once before that game gives me hope for this season that as soon as our freshmen are healthy, they'll be able to play in games. Of course there will be an adjustment period, and a freshman coming in for the first time is very different than a senior coming back, but I'm more optimistic about them getting healthy and starting to contribute right away.

I also enjoyed his Coach K story, not only for the story itself but for his cousins talking smack to him about it afterwards. A very humanizing story that reminds me that these players are still young kids.

Thank you as always for the great work!

kAzE
11-15-2016, 10:51 AM
What the <BLEEP> were you thinking? :cool:

Billy Dat
11-15-2016, 10:53 AM
I also enjoyed his Coach K story, not only for the story itself but for his cousins talking smack to him about it afterwards. A very humanizing story that reminds me that these players are still young kids.

Yes, "What the &*$# were you thinking?!?!?!" repeated for an entire timeout, in different inflections, is the highest of high comedy. While I consider the team huddle to be the ultimate "safe space" perhaps others would disagree.

flyingdutchdevil
11-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Yes, "What the &*$# were you thinking?!?!?!" repeated for an entire timeout, in different inflections, is the highest of high comedy. While I consider the team huddle to be the ultimate "safe space" perhaps others would disagree.

Safe space from opposing fans, refs, media, etc. All of these are less frightening than a super pissed off Coach K.