PDA

View Full Version : Go to HELL Carolina!!!!! Duke 28, cheaters 27

OldPhiKap
11-10-2016, 11:05 PM
If you have to ask whether this is a football thread, well -- I can't help you.

UrinalCake
11-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Fantastic game; after falling down 14-0 it looked like we were going to get run out of our own stadium, but like the ND game we rebounded well, kept it close, and our defense was outstanding. Amazing how well we have played against Louisville and the CHeats, I really hope we can sneak into a bowl to keep the season going.

The home crowd looked good on TV. Love seeing the fans come out and support the team, and yes I know there were a ton of CHeat fans there too.

DukeDevil
11-10-2016, 11:11 PM
I can see why Jones is nicknamed "the Future." He was superb! The whole team was!!

I gotta say, it's just so painful to go from having one of the best kicking games in football to not trusting it whatsoever...yipes....

grossbus
11-10-2016, 11:12 PM
We really turned the game around after getting down 14. Well done!

GTHCGTH!!

6th Man
11-10-2016, 11:13 PM
How sweet it is.....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Well, that was fun. In Cut we trust

Jim3k
11-10-2016, 11:15 PM
Dayum! That tastes good!

moonpie23
11-10-2016, 11:19 PM
i really needed this.....thanks to the coaching staff, team and fans...

BLPOG
11-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Mmmmmmmm yes delicious Tar Heel tears yummy

Additionally, SO proud of the team right now

dukelifer
11-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Jones in another big game steps up big time. Kid has talent and a high football IQ. -The UNC QB is really impressive- and still Duke won. Amazing and fun game.

ChrisP
11-10-2016, 11:26 PM
I had little hope before the game. Even less when UNCheat scored easily to go up 14-0 but...wow! Thanks Cut (and the whole team and staff). I needed it after he who shall not be named won on Tuesday.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2016, 11:26 PM
I will add -- still alive for a bowl.

striker219
11-10-2016, 11:28 PM
I had little hope before the game. Even less when UNCheat scored easily to go up 14-0 but...wow! Thanks Cut (and the whole team and staff). I needed it after he who shall not be named won on Tuesday.

Wait, what did Harrison Barnes do?

OH MY GOD, I SAID IT!

PackMan97
11-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Thank you Duke. Given last football and basketball season, this was needed to stay in my good graces. Well done.

jipops
11-10-2016, 11:42 PM
What an amazingly well coached game by Cut. Well...maybe except for that 4th down throw to the goal line in the 4th quarter. Though I guess that could have been Jones. But he was fantastic too, especially on those big run gains. And the defense was totally locked in for the last 3 quarters. And Big ups to Shaun Wilson!! Just a wonderful result that gave me a smile in an otherwise dreadful week.

cato
11-10-2016, 11:45 PM
#DukeGang

NYBri
11-10-2016, 11:46 PM
I have been suffering from a deep depression without hope since Tuesday night. This was the first time I've smiled or felt a ray of hope since then.

Thank you, Cut and the boys. I needed that big time!!!!!

CameronBlue
11-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Duke's now won 3 of 5. 60% in football? I'll take it.

killerleft
11-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Out-coached 'em, out-played 'em, sent 'em out crying. Especially nice watching Jela Duncan riding away on the Victory Bell cart!

For a team riddled with injuries, this edition of Blue Devils is really showing a lot of character. They don't give up. That first touchdown drive to make it 7-14 righted the ship. Holding the cheaters to 13 points for the last three quarters was quite an accomplishment.

Big shout out to our offensive line. Beautiful job, guys!!!

There are apparently some folks who don't agree that Duke has a special head ball coach??? So be it.

brevity
11-11-2016, 12:09 AM
If you have to ask whether this is a football thread, well -- I can't help you.

Well, it can't be men's basketball. Luke Kennard would have scored more than 28 points all by himself.

DU82
11-11-2016, 12:14 AM

duke4ever19
11-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Mmmmmmmm yes delicious Tar Heel tears yummy

Additionally, SO proud of the team right now

BLPOG
11-11-2016, 12:25 AM

Indeed. Thank you for contributing the graphic, and thank you to my editor as well for constraining the exuberance of my original phrasing.

Newton_14
11-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Me and little newton_14 just made it safely home to Creedmoor!! Awesome sitting with Ricks68, DevilDeac, Bob Green and Dplaw? ...anywho... watching the cheaters go to Hell is always special!

We beat them with our SECOND TEAM!! Well, a lot of our second team anyway. Totally shut them down in the second half! So many big plays by so many players! Too many to name! But yes we have a FB Coach who is better than most coaches in the land, and I for one would not trade him. He's OUR GUY until HE DECIDES to hang them up!

Some loud mouth cheat fan in an 88 Puke Blue Jersey walked into Sec 19 talking smack and he exited stage left right after the decisive interception crying about our "poor facilities that look like Carter Finley' blah blah blah whine whine whine. Eat it loser. Your boys got beat by a team crippled with injuries but more heart than can be measured.

This is a darn good football team. I don't care what the record says or the experts say or the polls say. It is a good Football Team. Snake bit in a lot of early games and some of late. Not tonight. They made big play after big play and put up a ton of yardage on that Cheat Team.

What a night!!

Go Duke!

Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell! 9F All Day Everyday!

Bob Green
11-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Great win! We successfully ran the ball and Jones was money on the roll out pass plays. It was a wonderful evening at Wallace Wade Stadium.

peloton
11-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Wow...I'm so happy for the seniors, the entire team for showing tremendous heart, and Cut and his staff for coming up with a great game plan. There are so many reasons why we won tonight.

Number 1 on my list is the play of Daniel Jones. Without his stellar play running the ball (especially on some critical plays) and passing effectively tonight (aside from the deep ball), we don't win tonight in my opinion. Jones is going to be awful fun to watch as he improves...stay healthy young man!

Number 2 is the defense - we've got some excellent linebackers in Humphreys, Giles-Harris, (and of course the injured Bere - can't wait to see these guys become even more dominant). The secondary made some big plays as the game progressed. Speaking of defense (and specifically seniors), we're definitely going to miss A.J. Wolf and his physical play.

Number 3 is the running game in my opinion - what a display of determination and Duke imposing their will on the Ewe in Sea defense. Major props to Shaun, Joe, and the entire offensive line for getting the job done.

Sincerest congrats to the team on winning against our arch rival - finish the season strong!

Bob Green
11-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Props to Newton_14, he called the 4th Qtr quick kick. Before the play, he stated several times "I would punt." Then immediately prior to the snap, he said "We will quick kick."

Good Job!

left_hook_lacey
11-11-2016, 07:59 AM
This week just keeps getting better and better. :) :cool:

moonpie23
11-11-2016, 08:26 AM
hole-fans really angry about our improved stadium...

OldPhiKap
11-11-2016, 08:56 AM
hole-fans really angry about our improved stadium...

hole-fans really angry about life in general.

Eff 'em.

SharkD
11-11-2016, 08:57 AM
A fantastic game by our Seniors, not to mention Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen. After the panic inducing 0-14 start, they settled down and made the plays time and again, with few, if any, mistakes.

The home crowd looked good on TV. Love seeing the fans come out and support the team, and yes I know there were a ton of CHeat fans there too.

The visitors/employee side was packed, as were the bleachers; the home side seats were noticeably less-than-full, much to the consternation of the Duke fans in Section 9 (and the ridicule of the UNC fans -- a disturbing number of whom were literally fall-down drunk by the final whistle).

One final note: the stadium announcer kept experimenting with a digital echo effect most of the times he said "Duke" -- it was inconsistent in application and duration, odd and hokey. (I am assured by a colleague in the know that it was an effect and not simply the PA announcer faking an echo by repeating "Duke" more softly, which is what it sounded like.)

ramdevil
11-11-2016, 09:23 AM
I love the heart, the hard work, the talent, and the intelligence of this TEAM. Great plays made by so many players, it is hard to pick out the favorites. My favorites are still Ben Humphries, Joe Giles-Harris, and DANIEL FREAKING JONES.

Also - if you live within 3-4 hours of Durham, buy season tickets! And if you can't make every game, give your tickets to Duke fans to can make it there. We need to give our team a home field advantage.

-ramdevil

devildeac
11-11-2016, 09:44 AM
There weren't many tar-heel chants. And, when there were, it was followed pretty quickly and loudly by Let's Go Duke!

Very good crowd last PM.

ehdg
11-11-2016, 10:18 AM
What a great game and win by our football team!! They've hung in there all year and fought so hard!! With all the injuries and then pull off two huge upset wins this year against ND and then again last night against our arch rival makes it all the sweeter!! They've showed so much heart all season and our future is really promising with Jones!
What a great way to end an excellent week with 2 huge upset wins first Tuesday evening and then again last night!! How Sweet it is!!!

VA_BDevil
11-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Cutcliffe for President!

(of course, Jela Duncan will be his running mate, and AJ Wolf Secretary of Defense)

DukieInKansas
11-11-2016, 10:36 AM
We had a family birthday celebration last night so I didn't get to watch the game. Duke football has come far enough that Brother Bob in Texas texted me that Duke had won. Not sure that would have happened just a few years ago.

Thank you, team/coaches/fans. What a wonderful evening. (I did get home and watched the last part of the game and the team run for the victory bell at the end. still smiling)

snowdenscold
11-11-2016, 11:21 AM
For some reason this comment on IC had me cracking up:

Where were they taking the bell...looked like some underground tunnel to hell???
Also liked:

FSU should drop out of the rankings too, simply because they managed to lose to us.

flyingdutchdevil
11-11-2016, 11:46 AM
For some reason this comment on IC had me cracking up:

Also liked:

IC is the reason wheat spends so much time here. Which I find a little ironic given how offended he sometimes gets.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-11-2016, 11:51 AM
hole-fans really angry about life in general.

Eff 'em.

It's tough to be a heel these days, bless their hearts.
Love, Ima

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-11-2016, 11:57 AM
If you want a really fun read, go over to IC and read the article entitled "Hitting their stride." It's a pre-game conversation among the UNC coaching staff talking about what they were expecting to happen in the game. It's REALLY a hoot!
Love, Ima

Reilly
11-11-2016, 11:59 AM
What a way for Bob Harris to close out his Wallace Wade career, and awesome play by seniors Corbin, D Singleton, AJ W, and Dom M -- great night they can remember forever.

Scorp4me
11-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Some loud mouth cheat fan in an 88 Puke Blue Jersey walked into Sec 19 talking smack and he exited stage left right after the decisive interception crying about our "poor facilities that look like Carter Finley' blah blah blah whine whine whine. Eat it loser. Your boys got beat by a team crippled with injuries but more heart than can be measured.

They can always protest haha.

richmclean
11-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Our kids are growing up before our eyes and showing they can play with anyone. Daniel Jones isn't the freshman he was early in the season throwing momentum-killing interceptions in most games. The loss of senior leadership has been offset by the kids stepping up.

On another note a shout out to the students who came in full force and roared throughout the game. Unlike the Iron Duke sections who wait until 3rd down on defense to politely clap, the students roared on all downs especially when the CHeats were down in their end of the field. When the game was over they stormed the field with great enthusiasm. Well done Duke students!

One last gripe - can we teach our football fans to SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE when we have the ball? Makes us look like, well, a basketball school.

SoCalDukeFan
11-11-2016, 01:19 PM
I had to attend a meeting last night and put my cell on silent. When I left it was halftime. Later my son sent me a text about something else. Cell vibrated. I unobtrusively as possible took it out of my pocket and saw both the message and a notification from ESPN of the final score. It was all I could do to keep from jumping and down with joy.

Stayed up and watched the second half. Not as much as watching live but less stressful knowing the Devils won.

SoCal

CameronBlue
11-11-2016, 01:28 PM
If you want a really fun read, go over to IC and read the article entitled "Hitting their stride." It's a pre-game conversation among the UNC coaching staff talking about what they were expecting to happen in the game. It's REALLY a hoot!
Love, Ima

Actually I think it was IC's staff not the coaches. It was funny. Their analysis wasn't that far off and they identified the key matchup the game (Duke's run offense vs Carolina's run defense). They then proceeded to tick off a number of Duke strengths, the development of Jones, no team had scored more than 40 against Duke, never a blow out, team runs well, coaching strength...yup, yup, yup...so naturally most predicted a blowout. Echos from inside the bubble, they just can't help themselves.

Richard Berg
11-11-2016, 01:33 PM
I hope Borders' career isn't over. He deserves a going-away party like Wolf et al got on the field today. At least, something better than his performance vs GaTech.

Time to finish the regular season 3-0 and give him a shot at returning for the bowl!

Devilwin
11-11-2016, 02:03 PM
In a week of great things for me (Tuesday's results, my 38th wedding anniversary yesterday,) this was the best of all. Cut is a genius..:cool:

flyingdutchdevil
11-11-2016, 02:10 PM
In a week of great things for me (Tuesday's results, my 38th wedding anniversary yesterday,) this was the best of all. Cut is a genius..:cool:

And for most of us, it's a bad week given that Tuesday trumps anything else positive that can happen.

DU82
11-11-2016, 02:45 PM
To Newton14, Bob Green or somebody else sitting in the end zone last night, sometime during the 4th quarter, security visibly moved down into the new seats in the end zone. In section 28, we then heard the clearest GTHC cheer of the night from the student section (followed by Let's Go Duke.) Anything happen other than the usual TarHooligan behaviour?

Papa John
11-11-2016, 02:56 PM
And for most of us, it's a bad week given that Tuesday trumps anything else positive that can happen.

I see what you did there!

flyingdutchdevil
11-11-2016, 03:04 PM
I see what you did there!

No comment

OZ
11-11-2016, 03:13 PM
They can always protest haha.

...and they can always return that unopened case of faded blue paint.

Newton_14
11-11-2016, 03:26 PM
To Newton14, Bob Green or somebody else sitting in the end zone last night, sometime during the 4th quarter, security visibly moved down into the new seats in the end zone. In section 28, we then heard the clearest GTHC cheer of the night from the student section (followed by Let's Go Duke.) Anything happen other than the usual TarHooligan behaviour?
The Security guys (lots of them and big boys too) walked right by us headed down there to handle something. My daughter noticed them first and nudged me. She tried to see who/what they were going after but we could not see. There were some very drunk and very loud obnoxious cheat fans down there though. One was in an 88 Jersey. Very mouthy. Newton_14 mouthed right back. All 3 times he came by us including after that last interception when he could barely walk but was still talking smack.

The security guys did not come back up past us. guess they took them out a different way.

bob blue devil
11-11-2016, 03:51 PM
so did the bell wind-up getting painted or did they successfully kill that tradition?

SilkyJ
11-11-2016, 04:12 PM
I have been suffering from a deep depression without hope since Tuesday night. This was the first time I've smiled or felt a ray of hope since then.

Well your savings accounts have probably gotten 5% larger since Tuesday and the market is at a record high, so don't get too depressed!

There are apparently some folks who don't agree that Duke has a special head ball coach??? So be it.

Who in the world thinks that?! He has unquestionably turned the program around, taken us to 4 straight bowl games, which I believe has never happened in our history, and brought us our first bowl victory in ~50 years. The man is legend as far as I'm concerned!

Bob Green
11-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Which Duke player was injured on the long kick-off return by T.J. Logan? I couldn't see his number last night as he walked off the field. It appeared to be a right shoulder injury.

bob blue devil
11-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Who in the world thinks that?! He has unquestionably turned the program around, taken us to 4 straight bowl games, which I believe has never happened in our history, and brought us our first bowl victory in ~50 years. The man is legend as far as I'm concerned!

seriously.

fun david cutcliffe duke football savior fact - last 4 seasons against ranked teams we have won 5 and lost 6. the prior 41 seasons? we won 3 and lost 96. he could retire today and would merit a big statue on campus.

Chicago 1995
11-11-2016, 05:12 PM
seriously.

fun david cutcliffe duke football savior fact - last 4 seasons against ranked teams we have won 5 and lost 6. the prior 41 seasons? we won 3 and lost 96. he could retire today and would merit a big statue on campus.

Cut's a Hall of Fame caliber coach for what he's done at Duke. Obviously I'm biased, but the turnaround here is as remarkable as anything (at least anything positive) in College Sports today.

Avvocato
11-11-2016, 05:52 PM
As I mentioned on the other thread, we should play all of our games on national TV. We seem to play our best in front of the nation. Again, amazing effort, heart and guts by all involved. Whatever our record ends up being at the end, this is a solid and growing football team. I love watching them play and develop. Plus, our ability to withstand the injuries we have had shows what kind of program Cut has developed (and is still developing). Great game. Big shout out to the defense for somehow pulling it off again, being able to buckle down and slow down another vaunted offense. Great job by Jones, who just looks so comfortable and in control during the game (aside from the poor decision on 4th and long in the 4th quarter). And another shout out to Shaun Wilson. I have stated previously that he's not an up the middle hammer of a runner, but he still runs hard and tough up the middle. And he has now taken some serious shots to his head the last two weeks. I hope he's okay and we're careful with him. Ajeibe played well too. Rahming also made some big plays in the 4th quarter to keep drives alive. That last drive that started at our 1-yard line and ate up about 7 minutes was a thing of beauty. I thought we were playing it too conservatively and were going to give it back to UNC in good field position. But between Jones' running and Rahming making plays, we dominated the clock in the 4th quarter (and had a whopping 37 minutes of time of possession for the game).

I couldn't be more proud of the boys. And to ruin UNC's season and cause chaos on the IC forums, just such a great night.

P.S.

Thank God Reed's extra point ricocheted in off the upright. If it had bounced the other way, I can't imagine the discussion we would be having today.

Troublemaker
11-11-2016, 06:17 PM
I don't have anything to add and will defer to everyone who knows college foots better than me. Just wanted to say great game last night, and we're still alive for a bowl!

jv001
11-11-2016, 09:32 PM

Bet you haven't been involved in a riot or burning a flag though, :cool: Great game for our seniors. Now let's beat Pitt and Miami. GoDuke!

devildeac
11-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Props to Newton_14, he called the 4th Qtr quick kick. Before the play, he stated several times "I would punt." Then immediately prior to the snap, he said "We will quick kick."

Good Job!

While we're passing out props, Mr. Green deserves a shout out or two because with about 8:00 left in the game, he said something to the effect of seeing/needing a 7.5 minute drive ending with a Jones read option into the end zone from 3 yards out to put the game out of reach. Not exactly what happened but pretty darn close with a 6+ minute drive ending with a quick kick that we downed on the cheaters 6 yard line. Sorry for doubting you, sir. :o

moonpie23
11-11-2016, 11:13 PM
soooooo....maybe i missed it, but..

did our guys spray-paint the bell? (and get that ugly unc logo off?)

OldPhiKap
11-11-2016, 11:17 PM
K just gave big props to Cut and our seniors in his really really really brief post-game press conference. Always good to hear.

9F.

ricks68
11-11-2016, 11:38 PM

Good Job!

That was pretty cool, as I also heard Newton_14 call it.

ricks

ricks68
11-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Our kids are growing up before our eyes and showing they can play with anyone. Daniel Jones isn't the freshman he was early in the season throwing momentum-killing interceptions in most games. The loss of senior leadership has been offset by the kids stepping up.

On another note a shout out to the students who came in full force and roared throughout the game. Unlike the Iron Duke sections who wait until 3rd down on defense to politely clap, the students roared on all downs especially when the CHeats were down in their end of the field. When the game was over they stormed the field with great enthusiasm. Well done Duke students!

One last gripe - can we teach our football fans to SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE when we have the ball? Makes us look like, well, a basketball school.

Uh, I beg to differ. First of all, a lot of us Iron Dukes travel a lot farther than the students do for a game and it ain't cheap to be able to attend. Second, some of us have trouble even sitting on those hard seats, let alone screaming all during the game. Third, when I clap, my partially shattered C5,6 disc takes a beating. (My neck hurt the rest of the night and I had some numbness down my arms because of all the "polite clapping" I was doing along with the rest of the Crusty Iron Dukes around me.)

Oh, in addition, how could you even hear how much noise the Iron Dukes were making considering all the "roaring" present?

And--------quit your griping after such a wonderful game. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

ricks

OldPhiKap
11-12-2016, 12:24 AM
I'm an Iron Duke. Since Cut has arrived, I have personally attended four bowl games (Charlotte, Atlanta, El Paso, NYC), a conference championship, and away games at Notre Dame and Georgia Tech -- as well as a bunch of home games. Went to the bowl game in Tampa in the mid-90's with Goldsmith before that.

Was a Cameron Crazie when Unle Terry sent us the uvuncular letter to calm down.

No offense to anyone, but I don't need anyone to tell me how to cheer for Duke. Been doing it since before the current students were born. And for those older than me who have stuck with Duke football despite decades of misery, well -- I cannot even hold a candle to their dedication. You have my respect.

But make you a deal. You get students to start filling the stands, I'll work on the Crusties to make more noise. This is not a point of division, we should all be working towards the same goal. And Cut has built the program to do exactly that.

Go Duke. Eff Carolina. Let's win the last two and keep our bowl streak alive.

ricks68
11-12-2016, 12:41 AM
I'm an Iron Duke. Since Cut has arrived, I have personally attended four bowl games (Charlotte, Atlanta, El Paso, NYC), a conference championship, and away games at Notre Dame and Georgia Tech -- as well as a bunch of home games. Went to the bowl game in Tampa in the mid-90's with Goldsmith before that.

Was a Cameron Crazie when Uncle Terry sent us the avuncular letter to calm down.

No offense to anyone, but I don't need anyone to tell me how to cheer for Duke. Been doing it since before the current students were born. And for those older than me who have stuck with Duke football despite decades of misery, well -- I cannot even hold a candle to their dedication. You have my respect.

But make you a deal. You get students to start filling the stands, I'll work on the Crusties to make more noise. This is not a point of division, we should all be working towards the same goal. And Cut has built the program to do exactly that.

Sure you didn't mean to say maybe something like "Indoor Iconoclasts"?:p

ricks

BoiseDevil
11-12-2016, 12:55 AM
If we can make a bowl game, I like our chances to push for Coastal title next year. The extra reps for the young guys would be huge for 2017-18 preparation l!

GO DUKE!!!

Reilly
11-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Kudos to Feamster for hustling and making the TD-saving tackle on UNC's long KO return after we had taken the lead. Easy to quit on a play like that.

devildeac
11-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Kudos to Feamster for hustling and making the TD-saving tackle on UNC's long KO return after we had taken the lead. Easy to quit on a play like that.

Thanks. I wondered who made that play. I think Will Kline also deserves a shout out, too, for stretching that play out east-west/laterally (however you wish to call it), giving Feamster a chance to make that TD-saving tackle.

Reilly
11-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks. I wondered who made that play. I think Will Kline also deserves a shout out, too, for stretching that play out east-west/laterally (however you wish to call it), giving Feamster a chance to make that TD-saving tackle.

You're welcome. I watched the game on "WatchESPN" the day after, so could pay close attention, and had my roster at hand. Will K gave a game effort there, but it was painful to see him shoved down like a little kid ... which made Feamster racing in to save the day that much sweeter.

moonpie23
11-12-2016, 09:09 AM
you know what a guilty pleasure of mine is?

i love to go back and view all the photos/videos of when the losing team is celebrating during the game thinking that they have the game in hand......

thursday night had a lot of those......the hole-fans-players going up 14-0 made them react like they had it in the bag....

i have some saved clips of wisconsin folks too........... :)

OldPhiKap
11-12-2016, 09:14 AM

i love to go back and view all the photos/videos of when the losing team is celebrating during the game thinking that they have the game in hand...

thursday night had a lot of those...the hole-fans-players going up 14-0 made them react like they had it in the bag...

i have some saved clips of wisconsin folks too.... :)

I still love seeing the Kentucky bench dancing with 2.7 seconds left in OT . . . .

budwom
11-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Watching the game again on TV (I did attend the game) yesterday, I was reminded of how our winning point was
a bank shot off the goalpost...another inch or two to the right, and our lives would have been more complicated...

Indoor66
11-12-2016, 11:13 AM
If a hop toad had longer legs it wouldn't bump it's butt. It don't, so it do.

There is moral in there somewhere. 😈😎

TruBlu
11-12-2016, 11:17 AM

i love to go back and view all the photos/videos of when the losing team is celebrating during the game thinking that they have the game in hand...

thursday night had a lot of those...the hole-fans-players going up 14-0 made them react like they had it in the bag...

i have some saved clips of wisconsin folks too... :)

Particularly enjoyable for me was the body language and reactions of the unc players and fans after our last interception. Up until then they "knew" they were going to win. GTHC!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-12-2016, 12:07 PM

Was a Cameron Crazie when Unle Terry sent us the uvuncular letter to calm down.

Thank you for saying what I feel.

All this carrying on over when and how to cheer for our own team is hot air that accomplishes nothing.... though it is a common phenomenon at Duke. School spirit at Duke has long been limited in ways I don't understand... for example, the cheerleaders lead the cheers specific to the sport, the alma mater and fight songs are for singing just as the school colors are for wearing.... all part of team building that is somehow missing at Dear Ole Duke. To each his own....

killerleft
11-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Question about the punt play when UNC was allowed to down the ball at the one-yard line: why did the ref allow that even though the UNC guy couldn't stop his momentum even after going through the elaborate motion of planting two feet like a receiver would to establish himself inbounds? I thought that the ref blew his whistle too soon, since the guy ended up carrying the ball into the endzone.

Am I wrong?

kmspeaks
11-12-2016, 12:53 PM
soooooo...maybe i missed it, but..

did our guys spray-paint the bell? (and get that ugly unc logo off?)

They had the bell out at halftime of the basketball game last night and there was no paint.

Avvocato
11-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Agreed. Great play by Kline to get an angle on the returner and basically slow him down and angle him towards the sideline, which allowed the pursuit to come back and make the tackle.

devildeac
11-12-2016, 01:27 PM
They had the bell out at halftime of the basketball game last night and there was no paint.

I don't know what agreement our fine, upstanding, professional AD and their weasel-y, conniving, ducking/dodging/bobbing/weaving poseur came up with, but it was obvious to me (things aren't always that way :o ) that they (cough, switzer "I'm bringing a can of spray paint") had no intention of honoring that agreement (Bubba identity confirmed #PaintTheBell that someone posted here) and we obviously have upheld our promise.

Newton_14
11-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Uh, I beg to differ. First of all, a lot of us Iron Dukes travel a lot farther than the students do for a game and it ain't cheap to be able to attend. Second, some of us have trouble even sitting on those hard seats, let alone screaming all during the game. Third, when I clap, my partially shattered C5,6 disc takes a beating. (My neck hurt the rest of the night and I had some numbness down my arms because of all the "polite clapping" I was doing along with the rest of the Crusty Iron Dukes around me.)

Oh, in addition, how could you even hear how much noise the Iron Dukes were making considering all the "roaring" present?

And--------quit your griping after such a wonderful game. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

ricks
Yes exactly. And we come to all the games for one, and two, we are there for the opening kick and when the clock strikes all zeroes in the 4th Qtr....

Merlindevildog91
11-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Question about the punt play when UNC was allowed to down the ball at the one-yard line: why did the ref allow that even though the UNC guy couldn't stop his momentum even after going through the elaborate motion of planting two feet like a receiver would to establish himself inbounds? I thought that the ref blew his whistle too soon, since the guy ended up carrying the ball into the endzone.

Am I wrong?

I wondered that too. Rules, anyone?

Reilly
11-12-2016, 04:35 PM
I wondered that too. Rules, anyone?

As I understand it, having learned from astute ACC fans for about 50 years, the official explanation has something to do with "Carolina refs."

Merlindevildog91
11-12-2016, 04:46 PM
As I understand it, having learned from astute ACC fans for about 50 years, the official explanation has something to do with "Carolina refs."

Thanks for clearing that up. THAT is an explanation I understand.

gep
11-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Watching the game again on TV (I did attend the game) yesterday, I was reminded of how our winning point was
a bank shot off the goalpost...another inch or two to the right, and our lives would have been more complicated...

It's about time that Duke caught a break... fortunate bounce... etc :cool:

GO DUKE!!!!

BigWayne
11-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Am I wrong?

In the NFL, the ball has to stay out of the end zone until downed. In college, as soon as touched that spot is the spot, unless the ball goes back towards the line of scrimmage, in which case the receiving team has the option to get the ball at the "best" point touched.

So in college it is a very good move to just catch the punt at the 1 and run into the end zone.

Bob Green
11-12-2016, 08:36 PM
In the NFL, the ball has to stay out of the end zone until downed. In college, as soon as touched that spot is the spot, unless the ball goes back towards the line of scrimmage, in which case the receiving team has the option to get the ball at the "best" point touched.

So in college it is a very good move to just catch the punt at the 1 and run into the end zone.

I do not agree with this rules interpretation. In college it is all about keeping the ball out of the end zone, but on the play in question the player took the ball into the end zone. The reason it was ruled down at the one yard line is because the refs blew the play dead before the kicking team member went into the end zone. If the ref had been a bit slower with the whistle, it would have been a touchback.

gep
11-12-2016, 10:44 PM
I do not agree with this rules interpretation. In college it is all about keeping the ball out of the end zone, but on the play in question the player took the ball into the end zone. The reason it was ruled down at the one yard line is because the refs blew the play dead before the kicking team member went into the end zone. If the ref had been a bit slower with the whistle, it would have been a touchback.

Is there any consideration for the ball "crossing the plane" of the end zone, like a touchdown? Say two feet at the 1 foot line, player leaning over into the end zone with the ball over the end zone line?

84crazy
11-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Our two biggest wins ND and UNC both start out down 14-0 looking like routs in the making.

Amazed at the tenacity of this group of kids

jimsumner
11-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Our two biggest wins ND and UNC both start out down 14-0 looking like routs in the making.

Amazed at the tenacity of this group of kids

True. But Duke also trailed GT 28-7 at the half and trailed VT 21-7 at the half.

Then again, Duke scored first against Wake Forest and Virginia.

Moral? Get good starts and build on that?

84crazy
11-13-2016, 12:08 PM
True. But Duke also trailed GT 28-7 at the half and trailed VT 21-7 at the half.

Then again, Duke scored first against Wake Forest and Virginia.

Moral? Get good starts and build on that?

Probably - but we had chances to win both of those also which really impressed me. With the injuries we have had it just shows you how far we have progressed.

Richard Berg
11-13-2016, 04:09 PM
To my knowledge, a punt play is "dead" the instant a member of the kicking team touches the ball (presuming the receiver did not touch it). After all, you never see the gunners down it by diving on the ball or taking a knee. They just pick it up and toss it to the ref.

Olympic Fan
11-13-2016, 04:28 PM
To my knowledge, a punt play is "dead" the instant a member of the kicking team touches the ball (presuming the receiver did not touch it). After all, you never see the gunners down it by diving on the ball or taking a knee. They just pick it up and toss it to the ref.

Sorry ... this is wrong.

What we call "downing" a punt if actually "illegal touching." The ball is NOT dead when it is touched, only when blown dead by an official.

Occasionally, you'll see a defender bat the ball or touch it and a member of the receiving team swoop into traffic and try and return the kick. It's a no risk play -- if he fumbles it away, his team gets it at the point if was first touched. Same thing when a pint is batted in one direction -- the receiving team has the option of taking the ball where it is first touched or where it ends up. Thus when a player swats the ball backward to keep it from going into the end zone, the receiving team usually takes it where the ball ends up, back on the field.

The play in question Thursday night is exactly as Bob Green described it. The UNC player caught the ball in the field, but his momentum carried him into the end zone. It would have been a touchback by rule EXCEPT that the ref (improperly, in MHO) blew the play dead prematurely.

Reilly
11-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Our two years with one-point wins over UNC.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/d/duke/opponents_records.php?teamid=2279

Bob Green
11-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Top 5 Plays video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pg_TfL89xs

These are always fun!

rasputin
11-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Sorry ... this is wrong.

What we call "downing" a punt if actually "illegal touching." The ball is NOT dead when it is touched, only when blown dead by an official.

Occasionally, you'll see a defender bat the ball or touch it and a member of the receiving team swoop into traffic and try and return the kick. It's a no risk play -- if he fumbles it away, his team gets it at the point if was first touched. Same thing when a pint is batted in one direction -- the receiving team has the option of taking the ball where it is first touched or where it ends up. Thus when a player swats the ball backward to keep it from going into the end zone, the receiving team usually takes it where the ball ends up, back on the field.

The play in question Thursday night is exactly as Bob Green described it. The UNC player caught the ball in the field, but his momentum carried him into the end zone. It would have been a touchback by rule EXCEPT that the ref (improperly, in MHO) blew the play dead prematurely.

A pint should only be batted in one direction: down the hatch.

Bob Green
11-14-2016, 05:27 PM
It will be time to move on to the Pitt game soon but, while I'm still basking in the glow of success, I would like to point out Duke did run two deceptive plays against Carolina. I'm 99.999% certain everyone saw the unsuccessful flea flicker but I'm less certain everyone picked up on the second piece of deception.

On the last play of the 1st quarter, with Duke driving toward the South end zone, Daniel Jones handed the ball to Shaun Wilson who started running right to left (from the Section 19 end zone seats perspective), then Wilson flipped the ball to Johnathan Lloyd who was running left to right. Lloyd was going to throw the ball back to Daniel Jones who had slipped out on a pass route but Jones was covered so Lloyd kept the ball and ran for about a three yard gain. The play ended up being a short gain on a wide receiver reverse but it was suppose to be a pass to the quarterback off a wide receiver reverse.

Neither deceptive play worked as designed but it was good to see Duke mix things up and give the opponent something more to think about.

grad_devil
11-14-2016, 05:32 PM
It will be time to move on to the Pitt game soon but, while I'm still basking in the glow of success, I would like to point out Duke did run two deceptive plays against Carolina. I'm 99.999% certain everyone saw the unsuccessful flea flicker but I'm less certain everyone picked up on the second piece of deception.

On the last play of the 1st quarter, with Duke driving toward the South end zone, Daniel Jones handed the ball to Shaun Wilson who started running right to left (from the Section 19 end zone seats perspective), then Wilson flipped the ball to Johnathan Lloyd who was running left to right. Lloyd was going to throw the ball back to Daniel Jones who had slipped out on a pass route but Jones was covered so Lloyd kept the ball and ran for about a three yard gain. The play ended up being a short gain on a wide receiver reverse but it was suppose to be a pass to the quarterback off a wide receiver reverse.

Neither deceptive play worked as designed but it was good to see Duke mix things up and give the opponent something more to think about.

I agree, Bob.

To go along with your remarks, I made the comment during the UNC-CH game that there have been very few times this season where I have been frustrated with our play calling. Contrasted with last season, that's saying a lot. Kudos to Zac Roper and company for the job they've done this year.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2016, 06:52 PM
I agree, Bob.

To go along with your remarks, I made the comment during the UNC-CH game that there have been very few times this season where I have been frustrated with our play calling. Contrasted with last season, that's saying a lot. Kudos to Zac Roper and company for the job they've done this year.

Zac has been doing a really good job IMO.

The fact that Jones can effectively throw downfield may help open things up too. It really stretches the depth of the defense more than in the last few years. I don't know if the stats back me up on that but that's my eye test view. (And not meant as disrespect to Thomas or Anthony).

ehdg
11-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Zac has been doing a really good job IMO.

The fact that Jones can effectively throw downfield may help open things up too. It really stretches the depth of the defense more than in the last few years. I don't know if the stats back me up on that but that's my eye test view. (And not meant as disrespect to Thomas or Anthony).

I think that's cause Jones has a better arm then Sirk has. Also if we had more a burner for a WR I think Jones would throw deep more and this would open up both the short passing game more and the running game. Hopefully we get a WR with speed in next year's class to help with this.

Newton_14
11-14-2016, 10:00 PM
I watched the replay of the game on Watch ESPN Saturday Night. We won again.:cool:

I guess I wasn't paying attention to him while at the game, but dang the Hat runs out on the field and complains to the ref on just about every play good or bad. And all the talk about our BB coach's language? If the Hat yelled "GD" once, he yelled it about 30 times. Very inappropriate. Were I a ref and heard that, he would get one warning only.

Our defense was just amazing. We should have blitzed more than we did, but even without it, our defense after those first two drives was pretty darn good. Only giving up 13 points for basically 3.5 quarters is darn good against that high octane offense.

Jela Duncan would have ran wild in that game!

And finally, like others have stated, that downed punt at the one foot line was not downed at all. Horrible call by the ref standing two feet away from the player and watching him falling forward into the end zone with ball in hand.

devildeac
11-14-2016, 10:15 PM
I think that's cause Jones has a better arm then Sirk has. Also if we had more a burner for a WR I think Jones would throw deep more and this would open up both the short passing game more and the running game. Hopefully we get a WR with speed in next year's class to help with this.

Scott Bracey?

Bob Green
11-15-2016, 04:55 AM
Hopefully we get a WR with speed in next year's class to help with this.

Damond Johnson has the speed. It remains to be seen if he has all the other skills required to succeed at the P5 level.

ehdg
11-15-2016, 09:34 AM
I watched the replay of the game on Watch ESPN Saturday Night. We won again.:cool:

I guess I wasn't paying attention to him while at the game, but dang the Hat runs out on the field and complains to the ref on just about every play good or bad. And all the talk about our BB coach's language? If the Hat yelled "GD" once, he yelled it about 30 times. Very inappropriate. Were I a ref and heard that, he would get one warning only.

Our defense was just amazing. We should have blitzed more than we did, but even without it, our defense after those first two drives was pretty darn good. Only giving up 13 points for basically 3.5 quarters is darn good against that high octane offense.

Jela Duncan would have ran wild in that game!

And finally, like others have stated, that downed punt at the one foot line was not downed at all. Horrible call by the ref standing two feet away from the player and watching him falling forward into the end zone with ball in hand.

I did notice this during the game and couldn't believe that the refs let him do that. I expected them to say something and make him stay on the sidelines. I don't recall other FB HC doing it to the extent he did it during the game. Really seemed like a whiner to me from those antics!!

martydoesntfoul
11-15-2016, 10:57 PM
The NCAA just released graduation rates. In ACC football Duke was No. 1 at 94 percent, the Holes dead last at 59 percent. Read into that what you will.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article114994738.html

devildeac
11-16-2016, 12:10 AM
The NCAA just released graduation rates. In ACC football Duke was No. 1 at 94 percent, the Holes dead last at 59 percent. Read into that what you will.

They need more fake classes? :rolleyes:

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-16-2016, 01:14 AM

#RealCarolinaWay

75Crazie
11-16-2016, 08:58 AM
They have eliminated the fake classes, but not the fake "student"-athletes.

devildeac
11-16-2016, 12:57 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_Remains_the_Same_(album)

SSDD.

SOS.

Can't put lipstick on a pig.

No matter the song/expression/cliche, they're lying, cheating bastards. Have been for decades. Always will be.