PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky: How they match up

NM Duke Fan
11-10-2016, 09:35 PM
An overview by Gary Parrish that compares strengths and weaknesses, injuries, coaching etc. Without a doubt injuries and the healing of them are a major key, but there are some other factors outlined:

"But all we really know about the Blue Devils and Wildcats is that they're super talented on paper and led by great coaches with established track records for winning lots and lots of games. Each should start multiple freshmen. So there are obvious question marks. But with both scheduled to open their seasons Friday, and with some projecting them to meet in the title game of April's NCAA Tournament, a detailed breakdown of Duke and Kentucky seemed appropriate. This is that breakdown."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-vs-kentucky-how-no-1-and-2-in-college-basketball-rankings-stack-up/

-jk
11-10-2016, 09:37 PM
We have better BBQ.

-jk

Tripping William
11-10-2016, 09:52 PM
We have better BBQ.

-jk

And slaw. And hushpuppies. And sides. And coaching.

fidel
11-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Poor form for a thread title. Now I'm hungry.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Now you know the season's here.

DukieInBrasil
11-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Now you know the season's here.

the way he allotted our starting lineup, he doesn't think much of Matt Jones. although "most talented" is certainly different from "best unit". most people don't give much value to defense if it's not related to blocks or steals, but the way Matt impacts on a game defensively is mos def not only measured in steals/blocks. Matt is good in his role on O, as a spot up shooter, and not good at much else (or at least last year he was terrible going to the rim).
I must profess my ignorance of UK's roster, but i would also wager that our returning talent is better than theirs, considering GA is a POY candidate. He also pretty much neglected Jefferson, who may not be the marquee player but is a Sr with a track record of solid performance. Additionally, it's unclear how much he thinks of Kennard, he gave Duke's bench the edge over UK and Kennard was a bench player for him, but i'll wager that people are way undervaluing Luke this year.

UrinalCake
11-10-2016, 11:20 PM
I like Parrish but his analysis completely overlooks our significant advantage in experience. Based on his starting lineups, Kentucky is starting four freshmen and a sophomore while we start two freshmen, a junior, a senior, and a fifth year senior. That is an enormous advantage for us. I do think UK's backcourt will be excellent but I think if we played ten times in March with both teams fully healthy, Duke would win 7.

ricks68
11-11-2016, 12:29 AM
After living here for 3 years now, Texas BBQ is still soooooooooo much better. (Only 1 more day for this thread to be important, however, until after the first weekend in April.😉)

ricks

DukieInKansas
11-11-2016, 10:46 AM
I love BBQ. As much as I love the sauce, it is best when the meat is delicious without it. I still add the sauce, though. I think this makes me a heathen in some eyes. (ketchup/catsup based, not too vinegary or sweet.)

Why is anyone talking about basketball in this thread?

killerleft
11-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Doesn't Kentucky cook their BBQ with coal ash? They sure looked bitter after losing to Wisky a couple years ago.:)

ricks68
11-11-2016, 09:09 PM
I love BBQ. As much as I love the sauce, it is best when the meat is delicious without it. I still add the sauce, though. I think this makes me a heathen in some eyes. (ketchup/catsup based, not too vinegary or sweet.)

Why is anyone talking about basketball in this thread?

Hot sauce like Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce type stuff doesn't really count as sauce, but some necessary heat flavoring. It's the slathering tomato, or vinegar or mustard, etc. type stuff that masks the actual meat flavor that is the problem. Texas BBQ has natural flavor that the salt and pepper rub helps to bring out. Pig BBQ is pretty tasteless without the slather IMVHTO----and I am not a native Texan. I spent a long time eating southern BBQ before moving to Texas. Not even close, as far as I am concerned. (I have had great pork ribs with and without a salt and pepper rub, however, and do like them with a sauce.)

ricks

OldPhiKap
11-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Hot sauce like Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce type stuff doesn't really count as sauce, but some necessary heat flavoring. It's the slathering tomato, or vinegar or mustard, etc. type stuff that masks the actual meat flavor that is the problem. Texas BBQ has natural flavor that the salt and pepper rub helps to bring out. Pig BBQ is pretty tasteless without the slather IMVHTO----and I am not a native Texan. I spent a long time eating southern BBQ before moving to Texas. Not even close, as far as I am concerned. (I have had great pork ribs with and without a salt and pepper rub, however, and do like them with a sauce.)

ricks

I'll put a plug in for Memphis dry rub ribs. No sauce allowed. Rendezvous is one of the few places that I though the hype was worth it.

-jk
11-11-2016, 09:45 PM
C'mon, guys. A "rub" is just a dry sauce...

-jk

NashvilleDevil
11-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Right now Kentucky is healthy and Duke is not and we have no clue when Duke will have their full arsenal available.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2016, 09:54 PM
C'mon, guys. A "rub" is just a dry sauce...

-jk

Disagree. A dry rub is a bark. A sauce is a crutch.

I dry rub my butts too. Same bark.

slower
11-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I dry rub my butts too.

I dry rub my butt, too. But my wife always tells me to stop.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2016, 10:21 PM
I dry rub my butt, too. But my wife always tells me to stop.

Careful with the paprika. It's Meeks up on you.

slower
11-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Careful with the paprika. It's Meeks up on you.

ba-dum-dum *rimshot*