PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Marist College, November 11, 2016, 7:00 p.m. EST

gam7
11-09-2016, 02:45 AM
Ho-hum. Less than 72 hours until first game in seven months. Most talented team in the country. No biggie.

Duke takes on Marist in our first on-campus game of the Hall of Fame Tip-Off tournament. Marist was not supposed to be on our schedule; they were a last-minute replacement for our previously scheduled opponent, Albany, which, as a public university, abided by the New York boycott of North Carolina in protest of the Bathroom Bill and withdrew from the game.

The Marist Red Foxes play in the MAAC, and are projected to finish in the bottom half of the league, after plodding through a 7-23 campaign last year. They begin the season as the No. 242 ranked team in kenpom. Their offensive efficiency is projected to be around the D1 average (172), but their defense appears to be much worse - ranked 301. The only team on our schedule with a lower initial kenpom ranking is App State (298).

Despite their low ranking, Marist is experienced. They return their top 7 scorers, including four starters from last year (plus a fifth player who started almost half of their games). They are led by Khallid Hart, a preseason first team All-MAAC guard, who averaged over 20 points per game. His backcourt mate, Brian Parker, was their second leading scorer at almost 16 per game. Both shot 38% from 3. They are both listed at 6'2" and weigh 225 and 210, respectively, so they probably won't be easily pushed around. Even without Bolden, we will be bigger and more impactful up front. Marist has three players who are 6'9", but none averaged more than 4 ppg. This is a guard-centric team.

Anyway, thought I'd get the ball rolling on such a slow news day.

BandAlum83
11-09-2016, 03:46 AM
Ho-hum. Less than 72 hours until first game in seven months. Most talented team in the country. No biggie.

Duke takes on Marist in our first on-campus game of the Hall of Fame Tip-Off tournament. Marist was not supposed to be on our schedule; they were a last-minute replacement for our previously scheduled opponent, Albany, which, as a public university, abided by the New York boycott of North Carolina in protest of the Bathroom Bill and withdrew from the game.

The Marist Red Foxes play in the MAAC, and are projected to finish in the bottom half of the league, after plodding through a 7-23 campaign last year. They begin the season as the No. 242 ranked team in kenpom. Their offensive efficiency is projected to be around the D1 average (172), but their defense appears to be much worse - ranked 301. The only team on our schedule with a lower initial kenpom ranking is App State (298).

Despite their low ranking, Marist is experienced. They return their top 7 scorers, including four starters from last year (plus a fifth player who started almost half of their games). They are led by Khallid Hart, a preseason first team All-MAAC guard, who averaged over 20 points per game. His backcourt mate, Brian Parker, was their second leading scorer at almost 16 per game. Both shot 38% from 3. They are both listed at 6'2" and weigh 225 and 210, respectively, so they probably won't be easily pushed around. Even without Bolden, we will be bigger and more impactful up front. Marist has three players who are 6'9", but none averaged more than 4 ppg. This is a guard-centric team.

Thanks, I needed this!

MChambers
11-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Is the game being televised? I'm actually going to Evanston to see my daughter, and we're going to see Northwestern's opener, but I'd like to record the game. Can't find it on Verizon FIOS in the DC area.

DoubleDuke Dad
11-09-2016, 09:55 AM

We have good news and bad news about our team this year. The good news is that we are returning the top 7 scorers from last year. The bad news is that we are returning the top 7 scorers from last year.

Spanarkel
11-09-2016, 10:56 AM
We have good news and bad news about our team this year. The good news is that we are returning the top 7 scorers from last year. The bad news is that we are returning the top 7 scorers from last year.

As long as Bill O'Reilly doesn't accompany his alma mater Marist to CIS it's all good news to start the hoops season.

gam7
11-09-2016, 11:22 AM

"They have experience, but it's bad experience."

Devilwin
11-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Is the game being televised? I'm actually going to Evanston to see my daughter, and we're going to see Northwestern's opener, but I'd like to record the game. Can't find it on Verizon FIOS in the DC area.

My son says ESPN3. Said he saw it on Bleacher Report.

Indoor66
11-09-2016, 04:46 PM
My son says ESPN3. Said he saw it on Bleacher Report.

I looked and find it listed on WatchESPN/ESPN3.

MChambers
11-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks to both of you. I missed that. Maybe I can watch it later in the weekend.

Billy Dat
11-09-2016, 05:21 PM
These next two games are a prelude to Kansas on Tuesday, and one assumes K is getting the team ready for that big test. As such, not knowing Bolden's status is really frustrating, but I'll assume he's not going to play against Kansas. So, what I am looking for is...

-Line-ups and "The 5 Forwards"
No matter the size of our first two opponents, I assume, initially, we can play however we want to play and make them try and guard us. Our best line-up of available players would put Amile at the 5 and likely not feature Chase or Javin (who GoDuke lists as 6'10"!). But, Kansas is bigger with Bragg and Lucas both at 6'10". So, do we start a 2 big line-up? I doesn't seem like a K move. I smell a return to the 2009 "5 Forwards" line-up. Then it was Scheyer, Singler, Henderson, Thomas and McClure (when Nolan was injured). This would be Amile, Grayson, Kennard, Tatum and Jones. Obviously, some of these guys are guards but the idea being everyone is between 6'5"-6'9".

-Grayson/Tatum/Kennard
There is a ton of scoring heat and ego here (good ego). I didn't see C2C so I really want to see Tatum wreck some people. Kennard has obviously been electric. Grayson has seemed more laid back in his offense. How do the 3 co-exist? Does Grayson really take on the facilitator role?

-Amile as Point Forward
Can we get him the ball at the elbow and allow him to create? I would love to see him operate the way Noah plays on the Knicks, he catches in the high post and then is a hand-off/screening/passing machine

-Other bigs
Chase and Javin, can you provide solid D, screens, rebounds, rim protection and baskets off garbage?

-Defense
I don't see us learning much, but I do like the trend of K mixing in full court and 3/4 court pressure, some trapping, etc.

Indoor66
11-09-2016, 07:29 PM
K tends to make you adjust to us. Not the other way around.

DukieInBrasil
11-09-2016, 09:57 PM
K tends to make you adjust to us. Not the other way around.

and that works because we're usually winning. K will make adjustments to match the other team if the situation requires it.
i would think that this year would see us winning most of the time, and that K would make the opponent adjust to the Devils.

flyingdutchdevil
11-10-2016, 08:42 AM
and that works because we're usually winning. K will make adjustments to match the other team if the situation requires it.
i would think that this year would see us winning most of the time, and that K would make the opponent adjust to the Devils.

Yeah...another pet peeve of him. If Duke is facing an opponent and our game plan isn't working, Coach K isn't going to 'make them adjust to us'. He's gonna adjust to them. It's the beauty of being the better/winning team.

I'm pretty sure that, this year, there will be no adjusting on Duke's end. It's all about impose your will, impose your will, impose your will. And we got Grayson Allen, a honey badger who don't give a $%&#.

Doria
11-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks to both of you. I missed that. Maybe I can watch it later in the weekend.

Yes, thanks, you guys. I printed the schedule a while ago, and it was just listed on local networks, so this is welcome news. Cheers!

brlftz
11-10-2016, 02:07 PM
What's Tatum's status for this one? Is he back for Marist, and if not, for Kansas? If Giles, Bolden AND Tatum are all out I'd expect Kansas to be favored. That's a lot of talent sitting out.

Ichabod Drain
11-10-2016, 02:11 PM
What's Tatum's status for this one? Is he back for Marist, and if not, for Kansas? If Giles, Bolden AND Tatum are all out I'd expect Kansas to be favored. That's a lot of talent sitting out.

Tatum has been practicing this week. I believe all signs point toward him playing tomorrow.

flyingdutchdevil
11-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Tatum has been practicing this week. I believe all signs point toward him playing tomorrow.

I firmly believe Tatum will go down as Duke's best OAD four. That includes Winslow, Ingram, and Parker. He's the most underrated player in college ball. Won't be surprised to see him average more points that Grayson.

WV_Iron_Duke
11-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Through my Roku the game is listed on ACC-Extra and Not on ESPN3.

mgtr
11-10-2016, 08:18 PM

That is the way the two exhibition games were listed, and they were on Watchespn. So I am not sure that it matters.

Spanarkel
11-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Sincere thanks to all the well-informed/interesting/forward-thinking/sometimes controversial DBR posters that helped me make it through the last 7.5 months since the last game! And thanks also to Wheat for his contributions.

Indoor66
11-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Sincere thanks to all the well-informed/interesting/forward-thinking/sometimes controversial DBR posters that helped me make it through the last 7.5 months since the last game! And thanks also to Wheat for his contributions.

Thank you for keeping a great memory alive with your handle.

Spanarkel
11-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Thank you for keeping a great memory alive with your handle.

Glad to: I only saw Spanarkel play once in person in the 1978 Blue-White game(since I started Duke in the fall of '79), but that was enough to get me hooked. How that pigeon-toed, not quick or springy but very cerebral player could be so effective fascinated me.

Indoor66
11-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Glad to: I only saw Spanarkel play once in person in the 1978 Blue-White game(since I started Duke in the fall of '79), but that was enough to get me hooked. How that pigeon-toed, not quick or springy but very cerebral player could be so effective fascinated me.

He only knew how to win, always win.

duke79
11-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Yea, I was in the same class as Jim Spanarkel at Duke, so I got to see him play all four of his years. I believe I went to all the home games for the four years (or almost all of them). He wasn't an overly quick player; not the most athletic player; was not a "lights out" shooter (a la JJ Redick); wasn't the best ball handler in the world or the best defender in college BB BUT he WAS a very solid player; didn't make that many mistakes; was a clutch shooter when needed; had a high basketball IQ; and was a great leader for all four of his years on the team. There is NO way that Duke would have had the season it did in '77-'78 and gone to the national championship game without Jim leading that team. It's probably hard for more recent Duke fans (since the late 80's or so) to realize how far and how fast that '78 team came along. The team my first two years at Duke (the '76 and '77 teams) were truly one of the worst teams in the ACC and probably in all of Div. 1 in the country. You would go to any of the ACC games, knowing that Duke would lose the game and it was just a question of how much they would lose by. That Duke then went all the way to the championship game in '78 was truly a miracle (and, unlike now, people all over the country LOVED Duke as the Cinderella team). I think you could have made an argument that Jim was the most valuable player in the country that year (but far from the best).

I still think Duke should have retired his jersey. IMHO, it was a tremendous oversight.

jimsumner
11-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Spanarkel was modestly recruited. The big boys didn't give him the time of day, focusing their attentions on his prep teammate, Mike O'Koren, one class behind him.

And Duke wasn't really a big boy when they recruited Spanarkel. A program in apparent decline.

One of the reasons Spanarkel came to Duke was that Bill Foster promised him he could play baseball in the spring; he was a pitcher. Spanarkel, not Foster.

I asked Foster when he realized that he had something special. He responded that before his freshman season, no matter how he divided up teams for scrimmages, whichever team Spanarkel was on, that team won. Re-distribute the lineups for another scrimmage and Spanarkel's team won. Over and over.

In 1978 Duke traveled to College Park and won there for the first time since the Randy Denton days. A big upset at the time.

Spanarkel led with his usual mastery of angles, cuts, backdoors and such. Ken Denlinger of the Washington Post wrote that Maryland had been "Spanarkeled."

Spanarkel was a quite sort. But Kenny Dennard told me that Spanarkel was the best leader he ever played with. Didn't say much but when he did people listened because they knew it was important.

One of my favorites.

Indoor66
11-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Spanarkel was modestly recruited. The big boys didn't give him the time of day, focusing their attentions on his prep teammate, Mike O'Koren, one class behind him.

And Duke wasn't really a big boy when they recruited Spanarkel. A program in apparent decline.

One of the reasons Spanarkel came to Duke was that Bill Foster promised him he could play baseball in the spring; he was a pitcher. Spanarkel, not Foster.

I asked Foster when he realized that he had something special. He responded that before his freshman season, no matter how he divided up teams for scrimmages, whichever team Spanarkel was on, that team won. Re-distribute the lineups for another scrimmage and Spanarkel's team won. Over and over.

In 1978 Duke traveled to College Park and won there for the first time since the Randy Denton days. A big upset at the time.

Spanarkel led with his usual mastery of angles, cuts, backdoors and such. Ken Denlinger of the Washington Post wrote that Maryland had been "Spanarkeled."

Spanarkel was a quite sort. But Kenny Dennard told me that Spanarkel was the best leader he ever played with. Didn't say much but when he did people listened because they knew it was important.

One of my favorites.

Come on Jim, we both know that Bill was a Pitcher of the first order. :cool:

hsheffield
11-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Same on Apple TV

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Please tell me I won't be the only one disappointed if there aren't any Sanford and Son references during the game tonight.

MChambers
11-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Guess Rik Smits has used up all of his eligibility.

Chillduck
11-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Jayson Tatum is not dressed for the game.

Troublemaker
11-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC (https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/797219185155837952)Durham, NC (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3Abced47a0c99c71d0)
Jayson Tatum in street clothes. Won't play tonight. Same for Giles and Bolden. And Obi.

Chillduck
11-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Bolden is not in a boot or on crutches though. We have 3 great looking managers for tonight's game!

-jk
11-11-2016, 06:36 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

ipatent
11-11-2016, 07:16 PM
No redshirt for Vrankovich..

riverside6
11-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Little late posting, but live tempo-based stats for Duke/Marist here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/marist-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11112016

gurufrisbee
11-11-2016, 07:56 PM
that was a more blatant trip than anything Allen has ever done

ipatent
11-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Thought he may have been planting his hand to get up...couldn't tell.

Bob Green
11-11-2016, 08:01 PM

I disagree.

dukejim1
11-11-2016, 08:14 PM
No redshirt for Vrankovich..

nor White