PDA

View Full Version : Marques Bolden foot vigil

blUDAYvil
11-07-2016, 04:36 PM
https://twitter.com/search?q=marques+bolden+lower+leg

Duke Basketball tweets: "Marques Bolden has sustained a left lower-leg injury. He will be reevaluated after this weekend."

Ichabod Drain
11-07-2016, 04:38 PM
This season is not starting out as fun as I thought it would be.

devildeac
11-07-2016, 04:56 PM
I like to be right but I really, really hate it when I can trust my sources and be this right :mad: :mad::

11-05-2016, 10:45 PM #40

devildeac

devildeac is online now Member

Foot/ankle. (Precautionary. For now.)

I won't reveal my source. It's second hand but reliable. Very reliable. Trust me on this one.

Billy Dat
11-07-2016, 04:56 PM
This is so freakin brutal - I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am having a childish tantrum!!!!!!!!!!

devildeac
11-07-2016, 04:57 PM
This is so freakin brutal - I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am having a childish tantrum!!!!!!!!!!

Settle down. Just blame the WBB coach :rolleyes: .

flyingdutchdevil
11-07-2016, 04:57 PM
I like to be right but I really, really hate it when I can trust my sources and be this right :mad: :mad::

devildeac

I won't reveal my source. It's second hand but reliable. Very reliable. Trust me on this one.

Okay. Dumb question. I assume that this foot injury isn't that severe, right? If it's precautionary and based on that info from Saturday, Bolden wouldn't even be at the game? Or is this ANOTHER foot injury? I think I'm just confused on the timing.

arnie
11-07-2016, 04:58 PM

Duke Basketball tweets: "Marques Bolden has sustained a left lower-leg injury. He will be reevaluated after this weekend."

This is becoming part of our "Brand". Wonder who's next. Of course, it will make the 6-7 man rotation easier to understand.

DukeFanSince1990
11-07-2016, 05:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wYoLQc-x5g

gam7
11-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Maybe time for our guys' limbs to get the JP Prewitt hand treatment.

devildeac
11-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Okay. Dumb question. I assume that this foot injury isn't that severe, right? If it's precautionary and based on that info from Saturday, Bolden wouldn't even be at the game? Or is this ANOTHER foot injury? I think I'm just confused on the timing.

I guess it could be another injury from practice today or yesterday but I'm ASSuming he wasn't just "resting" during the exhibition game Friday night. My info is from Saturday afternoon.

newclasspack
11-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Anybody on the team or Staff dating a Haitian? this has voodoo all written all over it

mattman91
11-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Its over.

devildeac
11-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Anybody on the team or Staff dating a Haitian? this has voodoo all written all over it

Haiti? I'll blame ol roy...

:rolleyes:

Devilwin
11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
What are we doing in practice, kicking bowling balls?? This is beyond ridiculous. Every other freakin' day there's an injury announcement for God's sake.
Are we to have Tatum back for Marist?

DukeFanSince1990
11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Its over.

I cant spork you...... :(

Billy Dat
11-07-2016, 05:17 PM
What are we doing in practice, kicking bowling balls??

Thank you for the much needed laugh...jeez...I'd have bet the center hall colonial that Marques could kick a bowling ball through plexiglass barefoot.

gam7
11-07-2016, 05:19 PM

I don't like the sound of this. If today (Monday), they are already saying they aren't even going to reevaluate him until next week (i.e., at least 7 days from now and after we have already played two games), I am guessing this is not inconsequential. Given the timeline, I'd be surprised if he is back before Penn State, best case scenario.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-07-2016, 05:25 PM
A number of years ago, I thought we put down a new, more giving floor to cut down on the number of foot and ankle injuries? Doesn't seem to be working too well...

OZZIE4DUKE
11-07-2016, 05:28 PM

devildeac

its nice to be trusted!

Friday night while leaving the game through the HOF, someone "very close" to Coach K was waiting by the elevator to go up to his office. I went over and reintroduced myself to her and asked "any idea why Marques didn't play tonight?" She said "It's precautionary. He tweaked his foot/ankle." I said "another one?" And she shrugged her shoulders and said "another one" and shook her head in disbelief.

So so that's about as good an anonymous source as one can have! I didn't want to post a rumor before, but now that it's out, there it is.

Let's go DUKE! GTHc! 9F!

devildeac
11-07-2016, 05:30 PM

Bad week to stop?

arnie
11-07-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't like the sound of this. If today (Monday), they are already saying they aren't even going to reevaluate him until next week (i.e., at least 7 days from now and after we have already played two games), I am guessing this is not inconsequential. Given the timeline, I'd be surprised if he is back before Penn State, best case scenario.

Yea, if I recall the first communications on Kyrie/Amile/Ryan/Fill in the Blank were nebulous and many of us assumed several week timeframe. See how those turned out. I just hope one at least one of the three is back for Kansas and all can play by January.

jipops
11-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Even without Bolden and Giles we're still a pretty darn good team. A front court rotation of Tatum, Jefferson, Jeter, and Delaurier is not too shabby. Just not one that will be on a team of national or even conference contenders. The likelihood of us seeing a full healthy roster that matches the preseason hype is looking less and less likely. I've resigned myself to this not happening. I will be especially surprised if we ever see Giles play significant minutes in a Duke uniform. Sure Bolden may very well be back after a few games. But not having a group together during the preseason and now early in the season has us starting from behind. And the vibe to me is that future injuries are imminent. But like I said, we can still put a pretty good team out there. Could make a decent tourney run.

Bob Green
11-07-2016, 06:27 PM
This news validates my decision to hold off on the 40-0 tattoo.

Troublemaker
11-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Yikes.

Based solely on gut feeling, Harry's injury didn't concern me and Jayson's injury didn't concern me.

But this latest one to Marques definitely does. Marques will miss two games and then be "re-evaluated." I'm prepared for anything there.

DBFAN
11-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Even without Bolden and Giles we're still a pretty darn good team. A front court rotation of Tatum, Jefferson, Jeter, and Delaurier is not too shabby. Just not one that will be on a team of national or even conference contenders. The likelihood of us seeing a full healthy roster that matches the preseason hype is looking less and less likely. I've resigned myself to this not happening. I will be especially surprised if we ever see Giles play significant minutes in a Duke uniform. Sure Bolden may very well be back after a few games. But not having a group together during the preseason and now early in the season has us starting from behind. And the vibe to me is that future injuries are imminent. But like I said, we can still put a pretty good team out there. Could make a decent tourney run.
Maybe I'm misreading this but are you saying that a starting 5 of Allen, Jones, Jefferson, Tatum, and Jackson wouldn't contend for ACC? And that's without even mixing Giles in

mattman91
11-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Maybe I'm misreading this but are you saying that a starting 5 of Allen, Jones, Jefferson, Tatum, and Jackson wouldn't contend for ACC? And that's without even mixing Giles in

And Kennard...

DBFAN
11-07-2016, 06:39 PM
And Kennard...

My bad... And Luke. I mean that's a pretty great team if I'm not mistaken

jipops
11-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I think we should just go ahead and have a separate vigil thread setup for each player on the roster. It's going to be that kind of season. Or maybe having a preemptive thread will provide some sort of reverse jinx.

Devilwin
11-07-2016, 06:43 PM
And Jack White. Kid's a baller..And a dead shot from three.:)

arnie
11-07-2016, 06:46 PM

That's assuming no further debilitating injuries (Tatum's not back yet) and we haven't even started the regular season. I'm overly pessimistic now - but we've lost our fair share of players during Christmas break.

DBFAN
11-07-2016, 06:52 PM
That's assuming no further debilitating injuries (Tatum's not back yet) and we haven't even started the regular season. I'm overly pessimistic now - but we've lost our fair share of players during Christmas break.

Well yeah but there is no reason to think that Tatum won't be back this weekend and at the latest next week. And we can't assume other guys will get Hurt because anyone on any team could get hurt and there is nothing that makes one team more likely to have injured players. Also I know Giles has been out for some time but as far as we all know his surgery that he just had was nothing more than to clean up, he didn't re injure himself and K said he was right on track to join team at end of month. I do however think Bolden could be out for awhile, only because the Staff isn't being specific and it reminds me of the Jefferson situation. But with Tatum and Giles this is still the best team in the country

CrazyNotCrazie
11-07-2016, 06:58 PM
If we had one thread of all the vigils for ankle and foot injuries since the start of DBR, I think it would rival the LTE

ricks68
11-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the much needed laugh...jeez...I'd have bet the center hall colonial that Marques could kick a bowling ball through plexiglass barefoot.

Methinks you are confusing Marques with a former player named Patrick, who could do it with just a flick of his little toe.:p

ricks

sagegrouse
11-07-2016, 07:25 PM
This is becoming part of our "Brand". Wonder who's next. Of course, it will make the 6-7 man rotation easier to understand.

Not just Brand, but also Boozer and many others.

PSurprise
11-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Coach K is just working out his seven-man rotation a little earlier than normal this year, nothing to get worried about. :)

Joking aside, I hope everyone gets better as soon as possible!

cato
11-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Not just Brand, but also Boozer and many others.

The more it becomes our Brand
The more this fan becomes a Boozer

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-07-2016, 07:39 PM
I can't remember this many injuries to key players in football AND basketball at one time. It's GOT to be a Communist plot!
Love, Ima

jipops
11-07-2016, 07:56 PM

I suppose they could contend. I just wouldn't call them the favorites in this year's ACC. Good mix of talent and experience. But no pg, no big man, and little depth. This season's ACC is pretty loaded. Even winning with a healthy squad would be a huge task.

DBFAN
11-07-2016, 08:17 PM
I suppose they could contend. I just wouldn't call them the favorites in this year's ACC. Good mix of talent and experience. But no pg, no big man, and little depth. This season's ACC is pretty loaded. Even winning with a healthy squad would be a huge task.

I have to disagree. There are loaded teams, but we are still by far the most loaded. The fact that we Have Allen gives us an advantage. When Duke landed Giles and Tatum we became a loaded team. Yes Bolden is great and has played very well, but he was not our first target, he was however the icing on the cake. When he comes back it still doesn't change our PG situation so that point is moot. The only thing that happens with Bolden getting hurt is that it levels the playing field a little, but thinking we are underdogs in the ACC is a stretch. I promise that not one of those other teams are gonna think of Duke like that. But let's get all the details about Bolden before any of us assume that the sky is falling. I know I'm bad to do that, but I really do think things are gonna work out for us

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Yeah agree. That's why it's a good thing we have Kennard, Chase, Javin, and Vrank The Tank on our squad too. Cause that team can absolutely win the ACC and contend for a Natty.

That said, I am like IMA FacultyWife... the injuries on the FB Team and now Basketball teams is nothing short of bizarre. Unbelievable. There is bad luck, bad karma, unfortunate happenings, bad breaks, and then there is our 2016 FB/BB injury situation. We are one loss away from not being Bowl Eligible by the normal 6-Win Rule, and two losses away from not being Bowl Eligible by the Bowl Eligible Exception 5-Win rule in Football, and I don't care what any expert says, if we would have had all of our key guys that are now out for the year, for all of our games this season, our record right now would most likely be 7-2, and possibly 8-1, instead of 3-6; And we now have sustained injuries to three of our four 5-Star Basketball Recruits. It is just something you would never expect to happen.

Regarding Bolden, the good news is that if the injury truly did happen prior to the game this Friday Night, he certainly was not in a boot, and was not limping in any way. I guess that is good news, right? I do not understand the statement about waiting til next week to reevaluate him though. Weird situation. With the crutches thing, and the timeline for reevaluation, it tends to make me think the injury happened Saturday in practice, however, Ozzie is on record that he was told of the injury right after the game Friday Night and I think that is 100% legit. So I am convinced the injury happened prior to the Friday Night game based on that. Just weird that they did not have him in a boot and on crutches at the game. I don't understand that part of it at all.

DBFAN
11-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Yeah agree. That's why it's a good thing we have Kennard, Chase, Javin, and Vrank The Tank on our squad too. Cause that team can absolutely win the ACC and contend for a Natty.

That said, I am like IMA FacultyWife... the injuries on the FB Team and now Basketball teams is nothing short of bizarre. Unbelievable. There is bad luck, bad karma, unfortunate happenings, bad breaks, and then there is our 2016 FB/BB injury situation. We are one loss away from not being Bowl Eligible by the normal 6-Win Rule, and two losses away from not being Bowl Eligible by the Bowl Eligible Exception 5-Win rule in Football, and I don't care what any expert says, if we would have had all of our key guys that are now out for the year, for all of our games this season, our record right now would most likely be 7-2, and possibly 8-1, instead of 3-6; And we now have sustained injuries for three of our four 5-Star Basketball Recruits. It is just something you would never expect to happen.

Regarding Bolden, the good news is that if the injury truly did happen prior to the game this Friday Night, he certainly was not in a boot, and was not limping in any way. I guess that is good news, right? I do not understand the statement about waiting til next week to reevaluate him though. Weird situation. With the crutches thing, and the timeline for reevaluation, it tends to make me think the injury happened Saturday in practice, however, Ozzie is on record that he was told of the injury right after the game Friday Night and I think that is 100% legit. So I am convinced the injury happened prior to the Friday Night game based on that. Just weird that they did not have him in a boot and on crutches at the game. I don't understand that part of it at all.
Yeah I was talking with Mrs about that. I said that no way he needed rest and he was already injured, but he was jumping up and down and celebrating just like his teammates so if it happened before that game, I'm really not that worried about it. But who knows

Utley
11-07-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm going to try and stay on the bright side. We are loaded - this is freakish - but it's very early. Let's get it out of the way now. It could be February.

The only color we have from someone close to the situation used the word - "tweaked". I am hoping she was somewhat precise with the term and that it wasn't somehow subsequently aggravated.

richardjackson199
11-07-2016, 08:53 PM

That said, I am like IMA FacultyWife... the injuries on the FB Team and now Basketball teams is nothing short of bizarre. Unbelievable. There is bad luck, bad karma, unfortunate happenings, bad breaks, and then there is our 2016 FB/BB injury situation. We are one loss away from not being Bowl Eligible by the normal 6-Win Rule, and two losses away from not being Bowl Eligible by the Bowl Eligible Exception 5-Win rule in Football, and I don't care what any expert says, if we would have had all of our key guys that are now out for the year, for all of our games this season, our record right now would most likely be 7-2, and possibly 8-1, instead of 3-6; And we now have sustained injuries to three of our four 5-Star Basketball Recruits. It is just something you would never expect to happen.

Any speculation about what to make of this from someone with orthopedic knowledge would be welcome. Paging billy?

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. We were recently told Giles is recovering very well and should be back by the end of the month. Tatum's injury was minor, best-case news given how it looked, and he should be back this weekend. It sounds like Bolden was hurt before Friday's game - but there was no obvious indication there that it was a severe injury. Holding him out of an exhibition looked precautionary to let him fully heal rather than risk aggravating it in a meaningless game.

We should beat Marist and Grand Canyon without Bolden. If Bolden is not fully healed, maybe the medical staff advised holding him out of these games and using crutches to speed healing. And hopefully his foot/ankle is feeling much better next week.

I would think that a severe injury could be evaluated with an MRI by tomorrow with bad news like "out indefinitely or surgery needed" coming imminently within days. Re-evaluated in a week sounds more optimistic - maybe something like an ankle will be feeling better. Bolden is a lottery pick and we're not going to risk playing him 2 games in 2 days against Marist and Grand Canyon when he is not 100% healthy.

No clue, but I still have no reason to think this team won't have some very healthy, very good lottery picks by December. We have a couple tough early opponents, but the vast majority of November/December are games we will win. By far the most important part of our season in January, February, March, and April is still "a ways away" as we say in western NC. It's a long season, and we haven't gotten any really bad news yet. The Heels injury to Pinson could be worse than lots of minor injury news we've gotten in the last month to our basketball team. (Football is a different story - that was bad). I don't know anything about Bolden, but until I hear otherwise, I'm hoping for the best. I still have a good feeling about the overall health of this team.

At least opposing coaches will have no film to study on how our projected starters play. :cool:

indy1duke
11-07-2016, 09:09 PM
I have been following Duke basketball for nearly 40 years and I cannot ever recall a situation where so many of the players experienced injuries. Together with the four already mentioned we have had injuries to Grayson and Matt. Does anyone recall any other outstanding college men's basketball teams with this many injuries to start the season? The only good news is that none of the injuries have been reported as season-ending.

I find it mildly depressing because the talent on this team had stoked my imagination that we had the makings of a truly dominant team. A rare combination of talented experienced players together with several possible one and done players led by the GOAT coach. Of course it is early and quite possibly we will pull it all together, but the relentless injuries have me slightly deflated. I am glad I don't live in NC where our first loss will bring out the haters gloating that we are overrated.

billy
11-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Any speculation about what to make of this from someone with orthopedic knowledge would be welcome. Paging billy?

Honestly, I have no idea. "Lower leg injury" is incredibly vague. I'm more worried about the crutches than anything. I don't read too much into the "will be re-evaluated after this weekend" part; it probably just means he definitely won't be playing this weekend but not anything worse.

Sometimes players come in to Duke with pre-existing injuries, like a chronic/incompletely healed Jones fracture (I can't remember exactly, but I think Paulus' fracture was one of these). The bone breaks, heals incompletely (for example a fibrous non-union), feels fine, then is "tweaked" by a less injurious force than would be necessary to break an intact bone.

Sorry, not too helpful :)

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. "Lower leg injury" is incredibly vague. I'm more worried about the crutches than anything. I don't read too much into the "will be re-evaluated after this weekend" part; it probably just means he definitely won't be playing this weekend but not anything worse.

Sometimes players come in to Duke with pre-existing injuries, like a chronic/incompletely healed Jones fracture (I can't remember exactly, but I think Paulus' fracture was one of these). The bone breaks, heals incompletely (for example a fibrous non-union), feels fine, then is "tweaked" by a less injurious force than would be necessary to break an intact bone.

Sorry, not too helpful :)
If the injury happened prior to the Friday game (and I am convinced it did) do you read anything into the fact he was in sneakers at that game, walking fine, no limp, etc, but then was put on crutches today? Does that make any sense to you? Thoughts?

weezie
11-07-2016, 09:32 PM
... the relentless injuries have me slightly deflated. I am glad I don't live in NC where our first loss will bring out the haters gloating that we are overrated.

All due respect, all gloating about Duke being overrated is part of the fun. As a Crusty, it's good to embrace the haters with a python grip. Love 'em till their heads burst.

richardjackson199
11-07-2016, 09:39 PM
If the injury happened prior to the Friday game (and I am convinced it did) do you read anything into the fact he was in sneakers at that game, walking fine, no limp, etc, but then was put on crutches today? Does that make any sense to you? Thoughts?

I'm not billy and have no clue, but I just hope he did not reinjure something worse in practice today. Duke MBB's tweet was just cruel: "BREAKING: Marques Bolden has sustained a left lower-leg injury. He will be reevaluated after this weekend." Did someone really have to start it "breaking" in all caps?

Do they need to rethink our team's shoes?

devildeac
11-07-2016, 09:43 PM

T-shirt design still might be available. :rolleyes:

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm not billy and have no clue, but I just hope he did not reinjure something worse in practice today. Duke MBB's tweet was just cruel: "BREAKING: Marques Bolden has sustained a left lower-leg injury. He will be reevaluated after this weekend." Did someone really have to start it "breaking" in all caps?

Do they need to rethink our team's shoes?

Regarding the shoes... I just don't think an argument can be made there... they wear Nikes of course, and they choose from the widest range of options possible... every single Nike version is at their fingertips to choose from including the NBA Player Brands... Not sure if any of them wear Jordans... I would hope not but it's possible I guess... Anyway, my main point is they are wearing the best shoes in the world in terms of Quality... as are the Under Armour & Addidas guys... I just don't think that there is an argument to be made that poor quality shoes is leading to injuries, no matter what Brand a team or a kid might be wearing.

Like any other product, shoes are evolving and improving all the time. I assume that protecting feet from injury is factored in during the Design Phase of all of the major brands...

I don't know what the answer is, but I feel confident the quality of the shoes is not the thing causing all the injuries.

BLPOG
11-07-2016, 10:07 PM
I can't remember this many injuries to key players in football AND basketball at one time. It's GOT to be a Communist plot!
Love, Ima

We need to tell the athletic department to switch everybody over to rain water and grain alcohol.

billy
11-07-2016, 10:29 PM

I guess the timeline matters a bit - if it happened earlier that day and took a while to tighten up/swell/get more painful, it could make sense that he was looking pretty well at the time of the game. He may not have noted the significance of the injury and/or not reported it to the trainer until later, after it felt worse. Of course, if that was the case, then K's stated reason for not playing him (lack of big men on the other team) would be the real reason.

I certainly hope the injury did occur before the game Friday - if he was moving well at the game then it's less probable to be a severe injury. Then again, I was at the Meadowlands in 2010 when Kyrie broke his foot. I saw the play, thought it didn't look very bad, watched him return to play after the injury that day, then was sure he'd be back within a week or two. I then proceeded to wait in vain for him to play again that year. I'm certainly not suggesting Bolden has anything at all similar, just that it's really hard to tell without access to the player and their x-ray and MRI studies.

Like the rest of us, athletes have a broad continuum of toughness and perception of pain. Not that I'm an athlete, but I'd be sitting in the training room getting treatments after a couple minutes if I tried to practice with Duke's team. I'd bet Singler spent all of 5 minutes in the training room his entire career. It's possible it may have taken Bolden a while to realize the significance of his injury.

Edouble
11-07-2016, 10:51 PM

What?!?! I'm disappointed as a..., but let's not get unrealistically pessimistic here!

I have to disagree. There are loaded teams, but we are still by far the most loaded. The fact that we Have Allen gives us an advantage. When Duke landed Giles and Tatum we became a loaded team. Yes Bolden is great and has played very well, but he was not our first target, he was however the icing on the cake. When he comes back it still doesn't change our PG situation so that point is moot. The only thing that happens with Bolden getting hurt is that it levels the playing field a little, but thinking we are underdogs in the ACC is a stretch. I promise that not one of those other teams are gonna think of Duke like that. But let's get all the details about Bolden before any of us assume that the sky is falling. I know I'm bad to do that, but I really do think things are gonna work out for us

Thank you. We are Duke. Let's not fall over and die just yet.

All due respect, all gloating about Duke being overrated is part of the fun. As a Crusty, it's good to embrace the haters with a python grip. Love 'em till their heads burst.

Thank you! And who cares what other people think? Not Coach K, the staff, or the players!

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 10:55 PM
I guess the timeline matters a bit - if it happened earlier that day and took a while to tighten up/swell/get more painful, it could make sense that he was looking pretty well at the time of the game. He may not have noted the significance of the injury and/or not reported it to the trainer until later, after it felt worse. Of course, if that was the case, then K's stated reason for not playing him (lack of big men on the other team) would be the real reason.

I certainly hope the injury did occur before the game Friday - if he was moving well at the game then it's less probable to be a severe injury. Then again, I was at the Meadowlands in 2010 when Kyrie broke his foot. I saw the play, thought it didn't look very bad, watched him return to play after the injury that day, then was sure he'd be back within a week or two. I then proceeded to wait in vain for him to play again that year. I'm certainly not suggesting Bolden has anything at all similar, just that it's really hard to tell without access to the player and their x-ray and MRI studies.

Like the rest of us, athletes have a broad continuum of toughness and perception of pain. Not that I'm an athlete, but I'd be sitting in the training room getting treatments after a couple minutes if I tried to practice with Duke's team. I'd bet Singler spent all of 5 minutes in the training room his entire career. It's possible it may have taken Bolden a while to realize the significance of his injury.

Thanks Billy! I appreciate your input. One thing on the Kyrie injury. I was watching on TV and he never took another step without limping after the injury. I was very surprised when they put him back in the game that day. They took him right back out once they saw it was not something he was going to "shake off". They showed the replay of the injury several times and it was obvious why he hurt it just by the awkward angle that the bottom of his foot landed on top of the Butler players foot. If my memory serves, Kyrie's heal actually made contact with the floor first, and the top 3/4 of his foot landed on the players foot at a very awkward angle with a little twist as well. I get sick to may stomach every time I think back to Kyrie never stepping on the floor the 3 times we played the cheats that year....painful

mr. synellinden
11-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Regarding the shoes... I just don't think an argument can be made there... they wear Nikes of course, and they choose from the widest range of options possible... every single Nike version is at their fingertips to choose from including the NBA Player Brands... Not sure if any of them wear Jordans... I would hope not but it's possible I guess... Anyway, my main point is they are wearing the best shoes in the world in terms of Quality... as are the Under Armour & Addidas guys... I just don't think that there is an argument to be made that poor quality shoes is leading to injuries, no matter what Brand a team or a kid might be wearing.

Like any other product, shoes are evolving and improving all the time. I assume that protecting feet from injury is factored in during the Design Phase of all of the major brands...

I don't know what the answer is, but I feel confident the quality of the shoes is not the thing causing all the injuries.

They need to test, analyze, examine - whatever - the floor in Cameron and the practice courts. I have been saying this for years. It's not the shoes.

mkirsh
11-08-2016, 06:40 AM
They need to test, analyze, examine - whatever - the floor in Cameron and the practice courts. I have been saying this for years. It's not the shoes.

Nike has probably 70% market share in men's basketball, so unless Duke gets different shoes than the rest of the population it has to be something else - court floor, practice/strength training regimen, dumb luck, small sample size, etc. I'm not sure what it is, but doubt it's the shoes.

Saratoga2
11-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Love, Ima

Maybe Putin is trying to impact the results of the NCAA BB season so his national team will get an easier opponent next time around? All kidding aside, what the heck is going on with our players feet?

mgtr
11-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Where is Wikileaks when we really, really need them?

Saratoga2
11-08-2016, 08:19 AM
So many of our big guys have unusually large limb lengths with respect to torso size. It tends to give them an advantage. I presume their feet are also pretty large and are subject to additional stress/strain because of it. Bolden has a huge wingspan and Jefferson, while smaller also fit the category. Trying to find some reason other than the Chaos theory to explain why we seem to get so many foot injuries.

RepoMan
11-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Maybe the team is simply taking an extra cautious and conservative approach given the nature of this particular team. We have incredible depth, and we don't "need" these players to play right now. There is plenty of time to let them fully heal and reintegrate. In addition, Giles, Tatum, and Bolden are all possible lottery picks after the season -- you need to handle their injuries more cautiously for that reason alone. Last, K has expressly acknowledged that the focus for this team is the national championship. So, I would not be surprised to see him sacrifice the short term for the long. I think we can hold off a bit before assuming the worst. (Knocking on wood.)

UrinalCake
11-08-2016, 08:47 AM
We're talking about kids who start playing year-round at 16 and 17 years old, who grow to enormous heights really fast and aren't fully developed yet are putting incredible stresses on their bodies. It's not just Duke, we've seen plenty of injuries around college basketball. Arizona just lost one of their guards, Michigan State has several injuries, the CHeats lost Pinson (his third foot injury), Dennis Smith had a torn ACL, etc. We have certainly had a tough run of things between the three freshmen so far this year, Amile, Ryan, Seth, Kyrie, even going back to Boozer being hurt in 2001 and Brand in 1998. But I'd need to see more qualitative data to determine whether Duke really has more injuries than other schools or it just feels that way.

devildeac
11-08-2016, 09:39 AM
So many of our big guys have unusually large limb lengths with respect to torso size. It tends to give them an advantage. I presume their feet are also pretty large and are subject to additional stress/strain because of it. Bolden has a huge wingspan and Jefferson, while smaller also fit the category. Trying to find some reason other than the Chaos theory to explain why we seem to get so many foot injuries.

Just reviewed Marfan's Syndrome from one of my old/classic cardiovascular textbooks and the only mention of orthopedic issues are arachnodactyly ("spider fingers"), long metacarpals (hand bones), pectus excavatum ("carved out") sternum and pectus carinatum ("pigeon chest"*). So, no "lower body" problems mentioned in a cardiac source (:rolleyes:), but billy may want to address any associated orthopedic findings of which he is aware.

Philadukie
11-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Duke uses Kathy Bates and a sledgehammer to test the strength of the players' ankles and feet!

Hope he's doing better soon.

duke79
11-08-2016, 10:39 AM
We're talking about kids who start playing year-round at 16 and 17 years old, who grow to enormous heights really fast and aren't fully developed yet are putting incredible stresses on their bodies. It's not just Duke, we've seen plenty of injuries around college basketball. Arizona just lost one of their guards, Michigan State has several injuries, the CHeats lost Pinson (his third foot injury), Dennis Smith had a torn ACL, etc. We have certainly had a tough run of things between the three freshmen so far this year, Amile, Ryan, Seth, Kyrie, even going back to Boozer being hurt in 2001 and Brand in 1998. But I'd need to see more qualitative data to determine whether Duke really has more injuries than other schools or it just feels that way.

Yea, I think you're right. It's a physical sport, the kids play hard and they sometimes get injured. What is the surprise here? Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see MORE injuries!

tteettimes
11-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Couldn't "lower leg" injury mean a "high ankle sprain" ???

Ichabod Drain
11-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Couldn't "lower leg" injury mean a "high ankle sprain" ???

Yes it could. Also could mean a myriad of other things as well.

tteettimes
11-08-2016, 10:59 AM

I was just interpreting "lower leg" as being between the knee and the foot! Of course I realize there's a calf in there somewhere too.
Just wondering like everyone else.....hoping for the best....hope there are no breaks

MChambers
11-08-2016, 11:02 AM

Based on my experience following an NHL team, it means anything other than an "upper body injury".

You're welcome.

JasonEvans
11-08-2016, 11:03 AM
I've heard folks use words like "boot" and "crutches" in this thread and elsewhere. Has anyone actually seen a legitimate report of Bolden using some kind of boot or crutches? I just want to know if my alarm meter should be holding steady at a 6 or a 7 or if I should...

http://www.goverlan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/turnitupto11-header1.jpg

NSDukeFan
11-08-2016, 11:19 AM
I've heard folks use words like "boot" and "crutches" in this thread and elsewhere. Has anyone actually seen a legitimate report of Bolden using some kind of boot or crutches? I just want to know if my alarm meter should be holding steady at a 6 or a 7 or if I should...

http://www.goverlan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/turnitupto11-header1.jpg

It's a lot more newsy if you panic, claim a conspiracy and/or express outrage.

Ichabod Drain
11-08-2016, 11:19 AM

It was reported by the Chronicle that he was seen on crutches around campus yesterday morning.

BLPOG
11-08-2016, 11:24 AM

I think I've figured out K's strategy. He's just letting everyone get the injuries out of their system early in the season. "What does not kill you makes you stronger" and all that. That way, we'll be healthy come tournament time. My reasoning is flawless!

left_hook_lacey
11-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Maybe time for our guys' limbs to get the JP Prewitt hand treatment.

Or the George Canstanza hand model treatment.

Steven43
11-08-2016, 11:39 AM

For the record Kyrie was hurt in East Rutherford, NJ against Butler. "They have, arguably, three of -- if not the three best -- players in the country in their starting lineup," Butler coach Brad Stevens said of Smith, Singler and Irving.

Kyrie actually came back in after the injury and hit two big three-pointers in the second half to keep Butler from getting close. Can you believe he played as well as he did with nerve damage in his foot?

His injury is the one that still haunts me more than any other that occurred to one of my favorite athletes, with the exception of the 20 concussions (yes, TWENTY!) that caused Roger Staubach to retire early. His final season was one of the best in his career and he retired as the top-rated quarterback in NFL history.

Anyway.......hoping for the best for Bolden.

Troublemaker
11-08-2016, 11:49 AM
His injury is the one that still haunts me more than any other that occurred to one of my favorite athletes, with the exception of the 20 concussions (yes, TWENTY!) that caused Roger Staubach to retire early. His final season was one of the best in his career and he retired as the top-rated quarterback in NFL history.

The amount of violence that pass rushers could commit on QBs back in the 70s is insane compared to today.

Anyway, wrt Bolden, if we hear he's only out a month after being re-evaluated next week, I'll be relieved. I have all kinds of nervous, crazy thoughts right now about his injury.

left_hook_lacey
11-08-2016, 11:50 AM

No way man! Go for it! YOLO! If it doesn't pan out, you can always have it modified to read "40 oz" and get some street cred, and possibly a new nickname on DBR.:cool:

Rich
11-08-2016, 11:51 AM
I think I've figured out K's strategy. He's just letting everyone get the injuries out of their system early in the season. "What does not kill you makes you stronger" and all that. That way, we'll be healthy come tournament time. My reasoning is flawless!

Letting...or causing! (bum bum bum)

Talk about a conspiracy theory!

NM Duke Fan
11-08-2016, 12:11 PM
This is not only a Duke problem. As a health care provider amongst other things, I see an increasing fragility amongst younger people, including when it comes to bones, tendons and ligaments. I know someone who just stepped off a curb while walking and broke a bone in his lower leg!

Diets can be well below optimal, including too acidic which weakens the bones. Too much screen time indoors, much pollution in some areas, including EMF's. Shortage of both vitamin D and the little-known vitamin K2, both of which are essential for creating strong, resilient bones. Shortage of manganese, which is critical to tendon and ligament strength.

I have also done a lot of martial arts. I have healed up severe tendon, ligament, and bone injuries in others far faster than normal via several key Chinese herbs that are renowned amongst Kung Fu practitioners and Qi Gong Masters. There are tools out there which are little known in the West.

I am in my late 50's, sometimes carry a 105 lb pack on rough expeditions cross country, where there are all kinds of ankle twisting hazards. Played blacktop basketball for decades with all of its pounding, and plenty of football too. Never have had even a sprained ankle. You can build your Home out of cardboard, tin cans, and balsa wood. Or top quality steel beams, reinforced concrete, and very deep foundations.

Reddevil
11-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Coach Wooden started the first practice each year teaching the guys how to properly tie their shoes. Maybe he was onto something. Maybe they should start wearing Chuck Taylor's. Converse is owned by Nike so it could be done. I grew up on them and I don't remember my generation having a ton of foot/ankle injuries....of course if we did we just walked it off, did not drink water at practice and rode home on a bike with no helmet, or in the back of a pickup truck.:cool:

JasonEvans
11-08-2016, 12:45 PM
It was reported by the Chronicle that he was seen on crutches around campus yesterday morning.

In that case...

http://rs606.pbsrc.com/albums/tt149/elodea87/PictureVolumeControlknobs004.gif~c200

Richard Berg
11-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Duke uses Kathy Bates and a sledgehammer to test the strength of the players' ankles and feet!

Hope he's doing better soon.
Welcome to strength & conditioning class with Tonya Harding?

subzero02
11-08-2016, 12:56 PM
The amount of violence that pass rushers could commit on QBs back in the 70s is insane compared to today.

Anyway, wrt Bolden, if we hear he's only out a month after being re-evaluated next week, I'll be relieved. I have all kinds of nervous, crazy thoughts right now about his injury.
I thought he was held out of the game against Augustana due to a need for rest and also because our opponent lacked a true big man. I really am annoyed by the use of what appears to have been a cover story that was complete BS.

English
11-08-2016, 01:07 PM
I thought he was held out of the game against Augustana due to a need for rest and also because our opponent lacked a true big man. I really am annoyed by the use of what appears to have been a cover story that was complete BS.

That was my initial reaction, but at this point, I don't think we can determine that the "rest" reason cited was nonsense. If he had tenderness or what the medical staff determined to be an at-risk condition in his lower leg (e.g., impending stress reaction, ankle injury with potential for exacerbation), it makes sense to give the area rest as a precaution. It doubly makes sense in an exhibition game against a team with no size.

If it turns out that the injury and its severity were known, and the staff still suggested that the reason Bolden sat wasn't injury-related, that would be more deceptive and dishonest.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-08-2016, 01:07 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6832&stc=1

What doesn't kill you gets a second chance... just sayin.

Philadukie
11-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Welcome to strength & conditioning class with Tonya Harding?

We do know that Nate James' knee would've broken that crow bar when it hit it.

gam7
11-08-2016, 02:23 PM

What doesn't kill you gets a second chance... just sayin.

What doesn't kill you might make you stronger, but what they never tell you is that it might darn near kill you.

billy
11-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Just reviewed Marfan's Syndrome from one of my old/classic cardiovascular textbooks and the only mention of orthopedic issues are arachnodactyly ("spider fingers"), long metacarpals (hand bones), pectus excavatum ("carved out") sternum and pectus carinatum ("pigeon chest"*). So, no "lower body" problems mentioned in a cardiac source (:rolleyes:), but billy may want to address any associated orthopedic findings of which he is aware.

[Disclaimer: For the record, I have no opinion on whether Bolden has Marfan's.]

Generally-speaking, Marfan's affects "connective tissues" like bones, ligaments, and tendons. Patient's typically have long limbs relative to their body. I'm not aware of any predisposition to fractures with Marfan's, but patellar dislocations (and shoulder dislocations) are more common with Marfan's. Fracture recovery, like surgical recovery, is typically slower due to slower/less effective connective tissue healing and may be incomplete. Surgeries to stabilize dislocating patellas and shoulders may fail due to the tightened or repaired tissue stretching out. I can think of one past Duke player who I think may have had Marfan's (not saying who). I would think that anyone who has made it to the collegiate level playing basketball would have a relatively minor "degree" of Marfan's.

BTW, DD, what's a textbook? :p

devildeac
11-08-2016, 06:01 PM
[Disclaimer: For the record, I have no opinion on whether Bolden has Marfan's.]

Generally-speaking, Marfan's affects "connective tissues" like bones, ligaments, and tendons. Patient's typically have long limbs relative to their body. I'm not aware of any predisposition to fractures with Marfan's, but patellar dislocations (and shoulder dislocations) are more common with Marfan's. Fracture recovery, like surgical recovery, is typically slower due to slower/less effective connective tissue healing and may be incomplete. Surgeries to stabilize dislocating patellas and shoulders may fail due to the tightened or repaired tissue stretching out. I can think of one past Duke player who I think may have had Marfan's (not saying who). I would think that anyone who has made it to the collegiate level playing basketball would have a relatively minor "degree" of Marfan's.

BTW, DD, what's a textbook? :p

Ok, you asked for it-medical joke-mostly (no offense intended).

How do you hide a $100 bill from a unc athlete? (put it in a classroom)

How do you hide a $100 bill from a radiologist? (put it on a patient)

How do you hide a $100 bill from an orthopedic surgeon? (put it in a textbook)

How do you hide a $100 bill from a plastic surgeon? (you can't)

Carry on with the vigil. :o

Thanks to billy for his bone and joint perspective! Can somebody toss him a splint or a cast instead of a pitchfork? I am alas, unable.

richardjackson199
11-09-2016, 03:51 PM
It's not just us with the foot injuries. This foot injury to Makai Mason just sucks. We all remember him well.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18004541/makai-mason-yale-bulldogs-season-broken-right-foot

flyingdutchdevil
11-09-2016, 03:55 PM
It's not just us with the foot injuries. This foot injury to Makai Mason just sucks. We all remember him well.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18004541/makai-mason-yale-bulldogs-season-broken-right-foot

Ivys don't give red shirts. Isn't Duke looking for a PG next year? Makai - I recommend you transfer, buddy.

richardjackson199
11-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Ivys don't give red shirts. Isn't Duke looking for a PG next year? Makai - I recommend you transfer, buddy.

Yes please. It might be his best bet both for rehabbing his foot and getting to the NBA. Our sports medicine staff is getting quite experienced with injuries of the "lower leg."

please add Mason to my 2nd Christmas wish list, Steven43

hsheffield
11-09-2016, 04:24 PM

Nah, the usual cardiac issues w/ Marfan would probably preclude being an elite athlete. Besides, it's autosomal dominant so someone in the family would know they were affected.

I'm wondering if the kids are being pushed such that their muscles are developing before their tendons are strong enough?

(this is an issue in horses, so why not humans? ortho folks feel free to correct me)

edit: sorry, responded w/o seeing devildeac and billy's posts...

budwom
11-09-2016, 05:13 PM
as I think people have mentioned here, it's been noted in baseball that pitchers can benefit greatly from not playing all year 'round, gives their arms time to
rest....perhaps the same is true for these elite hoopsters, they're playing all the time, every season, their bodies could probably use months off.

rsvman
11-09-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but I am a doctor. Anatomically speaking, the "leg" is the part of the lower extremity between the knee and the foot. The part between the hip and the knee is anatomically correctly referred to as the thigh, not the leg. So the use of the phrase "lower leg" to indicate the area between the knee and the ankle is redundant. In medical terminology, the "lower leg" would be essentially the high ankle area.

I realize that everybody isn't well versed in anatomy. Heck, I can't even get the residents in my program to use these terms correctly, let alone a lay person. So I know I'm kinda like an old man shaking his fist at the sky, but I thought I would share my opinion anyway.

As far Marfan's, no way. Most patients with Marfan's have significant problems (lens dislocations, aortic aneurysms, etc). Many are at least slightly dysmorphic. Marfan's can be somewhat subtle, but often it is not. It would be not only unlikely but virtually impossible to imagine that so many of our players could have a problem like Marfan's.

Indoor66
11-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Get off my lawn. 😁😎

duketaylor
11-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Shoes named for me have limited arch support as well as ankle support, so please don't go there.:cool:

Owen Meany
11-09-2016, 10:15 PM

I assume this was said in jest, but I have wondered if Duke might possibly emerge as a possible destination for a grad- transfer Makai next year. I have absolutely no reason to believe Makai will graduate early, would want to transfer, etc. but he's obviously a good student, solid basketball player and has his sights on playing beyond college.I believe I heard he was interested in Duke prior to entering college and was impressed by how hard he had worked to become a strong player. It would seem to be a good fit for both sides. And with this injury he would now have 2 years rather than 1. Longshot, I know.

flyingdutchdevil
11-10-2016, 08:39 AM
I assume this was said in jest, but I have wondered if Duke might possibly emerge as a possible destination for a grad- transfer Makai next year. I have absolutely no reason to believe Makai will graduate early, would want to transfer, etc. but he's obviously a good student, solid basketball player and has his sights on playing beyond college.I believe I heard he was interested in Duke prior to entering college and was impressed by how hard he had worked to become a strong player. It would seem to be a good fit for both sides. And with this injury he would now have 2 years rather than 1. Longshot, I know.

Not said in jest at all. Ivy's don't give redshirts, so Mason is throwing away a season. I like the dude. He gave Duke hell. He's proven, a really good scorer, and a capable PG.

Would love for him to transfer to Duke for next year, given the uncertainty in our PG situation next year.

IMO, he's better off at a big conference given his injury rather than staying at Yale.

duke79
11-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Not said in jest at all. Ivy's don't give redshirts, so Mason is throwing away a season. I like the dude. He gave Duke hell. He's proven, a really good scorer, and a capable PG.

Would love for him to transfer to Duke for next year, given the uncertainty in our PG situation next year.

IMO, he's better off at a big conference given his injury rather than staying at Yale.

I agree here. I was impressed by that kid in the few games in which I saw him play - the two games against Duke (one at Cameron and one in the NCAA tournament) and the game against Baylor in the first round of the tournament last year. I think he COULD contribute significantly to Duke. I assume he could finish this year and next at Yale, get his degree and then have one post-grad year of NCAA eligibility left? Assuming he is not drafted after finishing at Yale, this is not a bad course for him to take, IF Duke would be interested.

BD80
11-10-2016, 04:00 PM
I agree here. I was impressed by that kid in the few games in which I saw him play - the two games against Duke (one at Cameron and one in the NCAA tournament) and the game against Baylor in the first round of the tournament last year. I think he COULD contribute significantly to Duke. I assume he could finish this year and next at Yale, get his degree and then have one post-grad year of NCAA eligibility left? Assuming he is not drafted after finishing at Yale, this is not a bad course for him to take, IF Duke would be interested.

Or transfer at the end of this semester, sitting out one transfer year while he heals, and be eligible for the second semester next year (the entire conference season and tournaments) and all of the 2018-19 season.

bob blue devil
11-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Or transfer at the end of this semester, sitting out one transfer year while he heals, and be eligible for the second semester next year (the entire conference season and tournaments) and all of the 2018-19 season.

What, what? Bolden is out for the year and transfering!

Sorry, my bad. Must've clicked the wrong thread. Carry on.

DukieInBrasil
11-10-2016, 04:14 PM

I would think that if he's got NBA potential that getting there sooner rather than later would be the goal. Which, he would try out for the draft and see what people think of him and either A) try to get drafted in 2017 or B) graduate from Harvard and then do a grad-transfer to Duke, play for a year AND get a graduate degree from Duke and then try the NBA or C) transfer mid-season and only play "half" a year at Duke before trying for the draft.Transferring at mid-season per your scenario forces him to wait a full year more before the NBA with one fewer degree or only have half a year to show his game to scouts.
I don't have skin in the game, but the 2 degrees for the price of one seems the best option to me. Theoretically he could get 2 degrees from Duke by transferring mid-season, but might have to take some summer school courses if any of the credits don't transfer. Must be a nice dilemma to have, "should i get 2 degrees from 2 highly esteemed universities, or get 2 degrees from just 1 highly esteemed U?"

mattman91
11-10-2016, 04:30 PM
I would think that if he's got NBA potential that getting there sooner rather than later would be the goal. Which, he would try out for the draft and see what people think of him and either A) try to get drafted in 2017 or B) graduate from Harvard and then do a grad-transfer to Duke, play for a year AND get a graduate degree from Duke and then try the NBA or C) transfer mid-season and only play "half" a year at Duke before trying for the draft.Transferring at mid-season per your scenario forces him to wait a full year more before the NBA with one fewer degree or only have half a year to show his game to scouts.
I don't have skin in the game, but the 2 degrees for the price of one seems the best option to me. Theoretically he could get 2 degrees from Duke by transferring mid-season, but might have to take some summer school courses if any of the credits don't transfer. Must be a nice dilemma to have, "should i get 2 degrees from 2 highly esteemed universities, or get 2 degrees from just 1 highly esteemed U?"

Or should I just go to the NBA and make more money with no degree?

Kedsy
11-10-2016, 06:29 PM
...graduate from Harvard and then do a grad-transfer to Duke...

Since the kid goes to Yale, that would be really impressive. ;)

DukieInBrasil
11-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Or should I just go to the NBA and make more money with no degree?
that was option A)
...and oops thanks for the correction Kedsy.:cool:

BD80
11-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Since the kid goes to Yale, that would be really impressive. ;)

Yale? Hmm. Would all of his credits transfer if he came to Duke?

DDoc74
11-10-2016, 09:25 PM
I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, but I am a doctor. Anatomically speaking, the "leg" is the part of the lower extremity between the knee and the foot. The part between the hip and the knee is anatomically correctly referred to as the thigh, not the leg. So the use of the phrase "lower leg" to indicate the area between the knee and the ankle is redundant. In medical terminology, the "lower leg" would be essentially the high ankle area.

I realize that everybody isn't well versed in anatomy. Heck, I can't even get the residents in my program to use these terms correctly, let alone a lay person. So I know I'm kinda like an old man shaking his fist at the sky, but I thought I would share my opinion anyway.

As far Marfan's, no way. Most patients with Marfan's have significant problems (lens dislocations, aortic aneurysms, etc). Many are at least slightly dysmorphic. Marfan's can be somewhat subtle, but often it is not. It would be not only unlikely but virtually impossible to imagine that so many of our players could have a problem like Marfan's.

As regards "missed cases of Marans, See Flo Hyman under volleyball (very sadly)