PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs Carolina, Thursday Nov 10 7:30 pm, ESPN

Bob Green
11-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Duke has opened as a 10.5 points underdog in Vegas. The defense will have their hands full with the Tar Heels who have absolutely torched us the past two seasons.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

A Thursday night win over Carolina on national TV would certainly cure this season's ails.

Edouble
11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Did not realize we had the Gamecocks scheduled this year.

(thread title needs adjusting, IMO)

devildeac
11-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Oh, Ozzie, we're waiting...

Olympic Fan
11-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Did not realize we had the Gamecocks scheduled this year.

(thread title needs adjusting, IMO)

No it doesn't -- Carolina means the cheats from Chapel Hill. The school from Columbia is SOUTH Carolina. Nobody outside their alums or residents of the state call it "Carolina".

The Cheats have a fantastic offense and an erratic defense.

I think we need to break out the Louisville game plan again.

BTW: Wouldn't it be sweet to essentially eliminate the cheaters from title contention in the ACC Coastal?

Devilwin
11-06-2016, 04:14 PM
No it doesn't -- Carolina means the cheats from Chapel Hill. The school from Columbia is SOUTH Carolina. Nobody outside their alums or residents of the state call it "Carolina".

BTW: Wouldn't it be sweet to essentially eliminate the cheaters from title contention in the ACC Coastal?

Correct. The Louisville game plan is custom made for the Cheats. If we play them straight up, however, we are doomed.

chrishoke
11-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately, the Louisville game plan requires running backs. Very bad time for a short week.

arnie
11-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Duke Admin needs to hire an armed battalion to protect locker rooms Thursday. If they don't, Fedora's juveniles will likely continue their "tradition".

OldPhiKap
11-06-2016, 05:08 PM
9F. Go to Hell, you cheating scumbags.

TKG
11-06-2016, 06:00 PM
My fear is that this gets ugly. The Hat will not hesitate to run up the score on us.

chrishoke
11-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Ok, I changed my avatar for the cheater game this Thursday night. Says it all. Thanks Bob Green! :)

CameronBlue
11-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Duke Admin needs to hire an armed battalion to protect locker rooms Thursday. If they don't, Fedora's juveniles will likely continue their "tradition".

I propose instead putting an "under construction" sign outside the visitors locker room, pitching a few tents, Bring in a few Porta potties and let the punks change out in the parking lot.

Pghdukie
11-06-2016, 07:34 PM
I say just paint the visitors Lockerroom a nice shade of PINK. Pink everywhere. TO hell with the slimming bastards ! Just my .02 cents worth

CameronBlue
11-06-2016, 08:54 PM
I say just paint the visitors Lockerroom a nice shade of PINK. Pink everywhere. TO hell with the slimming bastards ! Just my .02 cents worth

I applaud the thought but really wouldn't that be an improvement over their chosen choice of blue?

Edouble
11-06-2016, 09:00 PM

Dude... yeah, um, I was expecting the thread to be called "Duke vs Cheats", "Duke vs Holes", or something to that effect.

"Carolina" is way too nice, IMO. Gamecocks thing was a joke.

Nothing to see here.

Newton_14
11-06-2016, 09:15 PM
,I think we need the "shorten the game" strategy deployed in the Louisville game, running the play clock down to like 3 seconds on every single offensive play before snapping the ball. They were committed to that in the Louisville game, and it worked. Of course in conjunction with that, you have to be able to move the chains with the running game and short passes. As good as the cheats are on the offensive side they are not nearly as good on the defensive side, so it is not impossible for this same strategy to work. It would be much easier with Jela at RB but looks like it's going to be Wilson and the Pips for us behind Daniel Jones this week. Unfortunate.

It would be really really sweet to pull this off!

Go Duke!

AustinDevil
11-07-2016, 07:18 AM
I am afraid that I already know the answer, but does anyone know with certainty if the Administration will follow the same "what football game, it's just another Thursday on campus until 5 minutes before kickoff" gameday plan that worked so well two years ago?

left_hook_lacey
11-07-2016, 07:42 AM
,I think we need the "shorten the game" strategy deployed in the Louisville game, running the play clock down to like 3 seconds on every single offensive play before snapping the ball. They were committed to that in the Louisville game, and it worked. Of course in conjunction with that, you have to be able to move the chains with the running game and short passes. As good as the cheats are on the offensive side they are not nearly as good on the defensive side, so it is not impossible for this same strategy to work. It would be much easier with Jela at RB but looks like it's going to be Wilson and the Pips for us behind Daniel Jones this week. Unfortunate.

It would be really really sweet to pull this off!

Go Duke!

I think with good blocking and clock management, Wilson and the Pips will be enough to keep the game close. Throw in a little gadgetry as soon as the Heels seem to have a little doubt and "POW", we have a ball game. UNC seems to get impatient at times on D, and has given up some big plays to mediocre players. Keep it close, take the air out of the ball, lull them to sleep, then hit 'em with a trick play or two.

If we can do that for two quarters and put some doubt in their minds, we have a good shot at winning this thing. We've been in every game this year no matter who the opponent was. We're due to pull one off. Nothing else to lose at this point, might as well make a statement on national TV.

budwom
11-07-2016, 08:29 AM
I'll be pleasantly surprised if we see Wilson.
Meanwhile, the fact that Cut has rediscovered our tight ends is quite encouraging.....more throws down the field to those guys, fewer
bubble screens.

Avvocato
11-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I think with good blocking and clock management, Wilson and the Pips will be enough to keep the game close. Throw in a little gadgetry as soon as the Heels seem to have a little doubt and "POW", we have a ball game. UNC seems to get impatient at times on D, and has given up some big plays to mediocre players. Keep it close, take the air out of the ball, lull them to sleep, then hit 'em with a trick play or two.

If we can do that for two quarters and put some doubt in their minds, we have a good shot at winning this thing. We've been in every game this year no matter who the opponent was. We're due to pull one off. Nothing else to lose at this point, might as well make a statement on national TV.

I agree that this should be the blue print. However, this plan not only requires healthy running backs, but the defense keeping Carolina off the scoreboard (not completely, that's not realistic, but from scoring every possession). If UNC scores, we successfully control clock but don't score, they score, suddenly you are two scores down and the game plan may go out the window. We probably said the same about Notre Dame (at the time) and Louisville, so we know we can play with the big boys. The control the clock game plan requires you to stay patient and stay with the plan. That's sometimes hard if the other team keeps scoring. It's the defense that will determine if that strategy will work. Let's hope for some more bend but don't break defense that keeps the game in reach. If they can do that, that will give the offense the opportunity to try the above plan. I agree, let's score early and send a message to them that we're not going anywhere. We've responded and played well in these big spots so far this year. Let's just stop giving up 1st downs on 3rd and 15+. Those are killers. In any case, let's hope Cut and Co. are ready for the challenge on Thursday. I am confident they will be. Let's go Duke.

Kfanarmy
11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately, I expect this one to get ugly early for Duke.

wilson
11-07-2016, 01:23 PM
I propose instead putting an "under construction" sign outside the visitors locker room, pitching a few tents, Bring in a few Porta potties and let the punks change out in the parking lot.

Duke Admin needs to hire an armed battalion to protect locker rooms Thursday. If they don't, Fedora's juveniles will likely continue their "tradition".A sign like this should easily keep the holes out of our locker rooms.

Devilwin
11-07-2016, 04:01 PM
A sign like this should easily keep the holes out of our locker rooms.

GREAT POST!!..LOL
Has Wilson been given the go ahead to play Thursday?

DU82
11-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately, I expect this one to get ugly early for Duke.

Of course it will be ugly early. It'll happen as soon as the Cheaters hit the field in their uniforms. Could be worse, though. Sylvia Hatchell could be there (speaking of ugly uniforms.)

fuse
11-07-2016, 08:44 PM
6823Cubs win the World Series, chaotic election, and now political correctness has claimed the victory bell. Truly these are the end times.

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I agree that this should be the blue print. However, this plan not only requires healthy running backs, but the defense keeping Carolina off the scoreboard (not completely, that's not realistic, but from scoring every possession). If UNC scores, we successfully control clock but don't score, they score, suddenly you are two scores down and the game plan may go out the window. We probably said the same about Notre Dame (at the time) and Louisville, so we know we can play with the big boys. The control the clock game plan requires you to stay patient and stay with the plan. That's sometimes hard if the other team keeps scoring. It's the defense that will determine if that strategy will work. Let's hope for some more bend but don't break defense that keeps the game in reach. If they can do that, that will give the offense the opportunity to try the above plan. I agree, let's score early and send a message to them that we're not going anywhere. We've responded and played well in these big spots so far this year. Let's just stop giving up 1st downs on 3rd and 15+. Those are killers. In any case, let's hope Cut and Co. are ready for the challenge on Thursday. I am confident they will be. Let's go Duke.

I totally agree with you here. The defense has to get enough stops when the cheats have the ball to keep the pressure of us having to score every single possession, off of our offense. Can't remember if I said this in the Louisville post game thread or not, but that game was the first time I ever saw a team stick to running the play clock down under 5 on every single snap. Many times in the past I have seen games where one team was trying to shorten the game many many times as a strategy to stay in it, and also at the end of games when a team had the lead and was trying to run the clock out, but they would inexplicably snap the ball with 10-15 seconds left on the play clock and I would be banging my head against the wall going "what are you doing! Stop snapping the ball before the play clock gets really really low, like as close to zero as possible. I swear I would snap it with 1 second left on the play clock every single snap.

Anyway, I pray we use that strategy Thursday Night and stick to it throughout unless we fall way behind and have to abandon it. The one thing that gives me some hope is their QB (Tribisky or whatever the heck his name is) is a pocket passer and not a dangerous runner ala the little kid Wake used on us, the Louisville QB, the GaTech QB, and the Vatech QB.... Those guys all gave us fits. I think our chances are better against a QB that isn't a great run threat. We need to dial up blitzes early and often. We cannot give him all day to stand back there and wait for receivers to get open. Our secondary is better than they have shown recently. I think they have suffered from our D-Lines inability to pressure the QB. They cannot contain receivers forever back there.

We can do this, but we are going to have to be very sharp, execute well, and prevent big plays as much as possible. On offense, we have to make the cheats pay for not being a good/great defense, by executing executing executing. We can run on them even without our best backs available. Hopefully Shaun will be able to go, but if not, the Pips are going to have to run hard, hit the open gaps and gain good yardage. uncCheat is horrendous at stopping the run. We have to make them pay for that to have a chance to win. We cannot sell out like we did against Wake and just totally abandon the run and pass the ball every single play. If nothing else, have Daniel Jones call his own number as many times as Sirk would if he were in there.

We can do this though. Of that I am convinced. It's not impossible nor unreasonable to pull out a win Thursday.

devildeac
11-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Any (insert profane adjective/s here) edict yet about game day parking?

Stray Gator
11-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Any (insert profane adjective/s here) edict yet about game day parking?

I received a message from the Iron Dukes this morning that included the following information about game day parking for the UNC game Thursday evening:

All Iron Duke lots will open at 5:00pm, and gates to Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium open at 5:30pm. Please be patient and considerate with all traffic flow patterns. We anticipate approximately 25,000 Duke employees departing campus coinciding with 35,000 fans arriving for the game. All Iron Duke lots also serve as daily parking for students and staff therefore we cannot guarantee that the entire lot will be available as it is on a Saturday game day. In the event that a lot reaches capacity, the parking attendants will direct you to the nearest available location. Please know every effort will be made to keep you as close to Wallace Wade Stadium as possible.

Sounds like parking for the game should go just fine. :rolleyes:

ehdg
11-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Word is Wilson and Ajeigbe will be available for the game Thursday night. So least we have 2 good Rb's for the game.

Bob Green
11-08-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm certain Jim or OF will have the complete injury report up soon, but for now:

Stephen Wiseman
‏@stevewisemanNC
Per Cutcliffe, Duke RBs Shaun Wilson and Joe Ajeigbe worked in practice. Available for Thursday night vs UNC.

devildeac
11-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I received a message from the Iron Dukes this morning that included the following information about game day parking for the UNC game Thursday evening:

All Iron Duke lots will open at 5:00pm, and gates to Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium open at 5:30pm. Please be patient and considerate with all traffic flow patterns. We anticipate approximately 25,000 Duke employees departing campus coinciding with 35,000 fans arriving for the game. All Iron Duke lots also serve as daily parking for students and staff therefore we cannot guarantee that the entire lot will be available as it is on a Saturday game day. In the event that a lot reaches capacity, the parking attendants will direct you to the nearest available location. Please know every effort will be made to keep you as close to Wallace Wade Stadium as possible.

Sounds like parking for the game should go just fine. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Sounds like 2 years ago :rolleyes: .

BLPOG
11-08-2016, 04:20 PM
This game is the only contest I care about this week.

GTHC, GTH! 9F!

Bob Green
11-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Newton_14
11-09-2016, 06:39 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6846&stc=1

Interesting. What's the occasion for these?

Bob Green
11-10-2016, 08:22 AM
GAME DAY! :cool:

We really need to keep Carolina's potent offense off the field, which means successfully running the ball will be key. Long, clock eating, points producing drives are required!

On special teams, if we punt the ball to Ryan Switzer, the gunners better be down there to cover him up. Punting it away from him would be wise.

Avvocato
11-10-2016, 01:05 PM
GAME DAY! :cool:

We really need to keep Carolina's potent offense off the field, which means successfully running the ball will be key. Long, clock eating, points producing drives are required!

On special teams, if we punt the ball to Ryan Switzer, the gunners better be down there to cover him up. Punting it away from him would be wise.

Agree, though it's not just running the ball effectively, it's also passes to the tight ends, and even the other short passes that many despise. Those, if done correctly and if they don't become too predictable, are akin to effective running plays and can help control the clock. However, we'll still need to score touchdowns though, because I believe Carolina will score. I was happily shocked we held Louisville to 17/24 points. While I'm hoping for another similar defensive performance, I just believe UNC will put up points. So, we need to control clock and turn them into points. Almost time to strap 'em up and spoil their season. Let's go Duke.

English
11-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Interesting. What's the occasion for these?

Rivalry game?

I'm hearing that there are some type of pregame theatrics planned for tonight's game. Apparently, folks are encouraged to be in their seats early for a "one of a kind team entrance."

Now, all jokes about being in seats ahead of time given the inevitable traffic disaster impending aside, this sounds interesting. There have even been rumors of Duke bringing a "live mascot." I'm not sure where the AD will get a live blue devil or even an imp, but color me intrigued. Sounds like there is a light show and blackout/pulsating effects involved, as well, so those with a history of seizures or epilepsy beware.

Doria
11-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Darn it, I have a doc's appt. But maybe I can make it back for the second half. Wish me luck... LA rush hour is always a dice roll.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Darn it, I have a doc's appt. But maybe I can make it back for the second half. Wish me luck... LA rush hour is always a dice roll.

See, for you it is a doc appointment in the first half. For me, it is more of a bed appointment in the second half.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Rivalry game?

I'm hearing that there are some type of pregame theatrics planned for tonight's game. Apparently, folks are encouraged to be in their seats early for a "one of a kind team entrance."
There have even been rumors of Duke bringing a "live mascot." I'm not sure where the AD will get a live blue devil or even an imp, but color me intrigued. Sounds like there is a light show and blackout/pulsating effects involved, as well, so those with a history of seizures or epilepsy beware.

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif Maybe Woot will make an encore appearance! Who's Woot, you ask? He was the Devil back in 1974ish, before the cartoon mascot was used. Somewhere, there's a picture of him sitting on a goal post in Wally Wade.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Bob Green
11-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Agree, though it's not just running the ball effectively, it's also passes to the tight ends, and even the other short passes that many despise. Those, if done correctly and if they don't become too predictable, are akin to effective running plays and can help control the clock.

Agreed. The short passes can be very effective.

Devilwin
11-10-2016, 03:32 PM
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif Maybe Woot will make an encore appearance! Who's Woot, you ask? He was the Devil back in 1974ish, before the cartoon mascot was used. Somewhere, there's a picture of him sitting on a goal post in Wally Wade.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

We captured the "Beast of Bolivia" and intend on dressing him up as a Blue Devil.

left_hook_lacey
11-10-2016, 05:04 PM
This should be at the top.

Let's ruin the hopes and dreams of Tar Heel fans everywhere by spoiling their chances of making it back to the ACC championship game. It's GAME DAY!

-jk
11-10-2016, 06:48 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Newton_14
11-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Breon Borders is on freaking crutches!!!!ygghh!!

CameronBlue
11-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Breon Borders is on freaking crutches!!!!ygghh!!

This week just couldn't get any better, the Trent commitment aside. Of all the positions...*&^%$#@

riverside6
11-10-2016, 08:26 PM
A little late but ... for those that want to follow the live stats for Duke/UNC, here you go...

http://www.scacchoops.com/unc-at-duke-football-live-stats-11102016

Newton_14
11-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Early grapevine news is hip injury for Borders...

JasonEvans
11-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Not a fan of the 4th down play call there. Not at all.

But, I'll freely admit I am surrised we have a 4th quarter lead. Hold on, injured Devils!!!

-jk
11-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Why aren't in chat? (you know who you are. Pretty much anyone not there...)

C'mon!

-jk

BLPOG
11-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Mmmmmmmm yes delicious Tar Hole tears yummy

-jk
11-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Woot!

-jk

Fish80
11-10-2016, 10:59 PM
For whom the bell tolls? For the Blue Devils!!!

fuse
11-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Honestly didn't think we had a chance before the game.
Glad I was wrong.

Satisfying on so many levels.

Go Duke!!!!

Billy Dat
11-10-2016, 11:02 PM
9 fteakin F, great W for the boys!!!

arnie
Love it, love it, love it. Tidbit - Heels have NO interceptions this year - is that even possible?

CDu
Omg!!! Lgd!!!

rsvman
11-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Woo-hoo! Amazing win. Love it!

davekay1971
11-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Just a happy happy happy day. So proud of the team, and happy for those guys. Its been a tough year with all the injuries, and with some tough breaks along the way. To go down by 14 in the first quarter and come back to win...fantastic heart and effort.

For Carolina, another season in which giving up all integrity results in no championship.

Duke79UNLV77
11-10-2016, 11:07 PM
With all our injuries, a win at Notre Dame and beating the Heels! I'll take it! No other school has a combo of coaches to match ours!

CameronBlue
11-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Incredible poise tonight by the Devils....and let's shout a big one to the secondary. With Borders on crutches they still come up with an (+1 by Singleton) interception and hold Trubisky under 300.

Avvocato
11-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Great win. The team did exactly what it had to do. It ran the ball well, controlled the clock (holding the ball for almost 37 minutes), scored touchdowns, and after falling behind 14-0 early, the defense held UNC in check. Such a great win for the team. We should play every game on national television. We seem to play our best when the lights are brightest.

brevity
11-11-2016, 02:08 AM
For Carolina, another season in which giving up all integrity results in no championship.

Yes, but UNC has already ordered a set of silver rings for finishing in second place in tonight's game.

diablesseblu
11-11-2016, 02:50 AM
My nephew usually posts all things UNC on FB when they win (and he cannot properly spell Duke!). He was at Duke with his peeps at 1:30 today to tailgate.

He's gone completely MIA. It's going to be hard for me to stay mum on this one.

Thank you #DukeGANG for giving Bob Harris such a great FB sendoff!

YmoBeThere
11-11-2016, 05:54 AM
Hours later it still feels great. GTHC!

Doria
11-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Hours later it still feels great. GTHC!

Yeah, a reminder that no matter what else, sports will bring us together to (improbable) victory!

jv001
11-11-2016, 07:13 AM
No matter how warm it is here in Winston Salem, I'll be wearing my Duke sweat shirt tonight when the wife and I eat dinner with my uncheat friend. Way to go Duke. What a great win for our seniors. GoDuke!:cool: