PDA

View Full Version : Jack Sears Update

burnspbesq
11-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Through nine games, the Duke-committed QB has completed 68 percent of his passes for 1,366 yards, with 22 TDs and zero interceptions.

San Clemente is 7-2 heading into its last regular-season game.

johnb
11-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Through nine games, the Duke-committed QB has completed 68 percent of his passes for 1,366 yards, with 22 TDs and zero interceptions.

which would give him a 178 qb rating, which would put him at 4th overall, if he were playing in the ncaa.

if's a big word, but it will be good to get him on campus.

devildeac
11-01-2016, 11:34 AM
which would give him a 178 qb rating, which would put him at 4th overall, if he were playing in the ncaa.

if's a big word, but it will be good to get him on campus.

To compete with Daniel Jones who just received the ACC Rookie of the Week award for the second time. ;)

Kfanarmy
11-01-2016, 12:13 PM
not too bad a TD to INT ratio...

JasonEvans
11-01-2016, 12:25 PM
not too bad a TD to INT ratio...

Check your math. There is no ratio. You cannot divide by zero. He needs to throw his first INT for there to be an actual ratio.

-Jason "quite impressive for Mr. Sears" Evans

CrazyNotCrazie
11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
To compete with Daniel Jones who just received the ACC Rookie of the Week award for the second time. ;)

I don't want to be a nervous Nellie, but I assume that the fact that there is a somewhat entrenched freshman quarterback in place will not make Sears waver on his commitment? When he initially committed he probably thought he would slide in right after Sirk and/or Boehme as either a true or redshirt freshman and Jones was likely not really on his radar.

devildeac
11-01-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't want to be a nervous Nellie, but I assume that the fact that there is a somewhat entrenched freshman quarterback in place will not make Sears waver on his commitment? When he initially committed he probably thought he would slide in right after Sirk and/or Boehme as either a true or redshirt freshman and Jones was likely not really on his radar.

I have no inside knowledge, nor did I stay at any national hotel chains recently:o, but I'd guess Mr. Sears believes he's that good and can arrive in January, attend spring practice (and classes, too, of course, unlike some "athletes" at a local land grant college-cough) and compete for the starting QB position.

Bob Green
11-01-2016, 03:41 PM

San Clemente hosts undefeated Mission Viejo (9-0) this coming Friday night. Per Max Preps, Mission Viejo is ranked #4 in the state of California, while San Clemente is #55. Mission Viejo has a 2018 wide receiver, Austin Osborne, who Duke has offered.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217680/austin-osborne

Win or lose, San Clemente will be headed to the play-offs but beating Mission Viejo would certainly be a feather in Jack Sears hat.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2016, 04:29 PM
San Clemente hosts undefeated Mission Viejo (9-0) this coming Friday night. Per Max Preps, Mission Viejo is ranked #4 in the state of California, while San Clemente is #55. Mission Viejo has a 2018 wide receiver, Austin Osborne, who Duke has offered.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217680/austin-osborne

Win or lose, San Clemente will be headed to the play-offs but beating Mission Viejo would certainly be a feather in Jack Sears hat.
We need an(other) Osborne at Duke!

As for freshman quarterbacks, the ideal plan is for them is for them to red-shirt, even with a spring practice under his belt. If he's good enough to beat out Daniel Jones next fall, then we have an experienced backup with gobs of talent!

devildeac
11-01-2016, 04:34 PM

As for freshman quarterbacks, the ideal plan is for them is for them to red-shirt, even with a spring practice under his belt. If he's good enough to beat out Daniel Jones next fall, then we have an experienced backup with gobs of talent!

Agreed:

:rolleyes:

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Agreed:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6793&stc=1

:rolleyes:

He spells Ozzie wrong and he spells Osborne wrong! :cool:

Dukehky
11-02-2016, 09:00 AM
I have no inside knowledge, nor did I stay at any national hotel chains recently:o, but I'd guess Mr. Sears believes he's that good and can arrive in January, attend spring practice (and classes, too, of course, unlike some "athletes" at a local land grant college-cough) and compete for the starting QB position.

Yeah, this kid is coming in planning to win this job. It wouldn't shock me if he did.

bob blue devil
11-02-2016, 09:18 AM

I think you may have confused the dump on the hump for a land grant school (or I'm missing your joke). UNC is more like a landfill grant school.

devildeac
11-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I think you may have confused the dump on the hump for a land grant school (or I'm missing your joke). UNC is more like a landfill grant school.

Easily done with the stench that regularly wafts into Raleigh from the dump you mention. Sorry. :o

jimsumner
11-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Parker Boehme is a wildcard here. He will have another year of eligibility at Duke following this season. But I'm pretty sure he's on track to graduate next spring, which means he could transfer somewhere else and play right away as a grad student.

I have no idea which way he's leaning. But I can see the appeal of the grad-student option at a lower-tier conference.

If Boehme comes back, then Duke has three experienced QBs. And I believe Duke will give him the option of returning for a fifth year.

Should Boehme not return, however, Duke would have only Jones, Sears and Harris. If Jones is clearly ahead of Sears and stays healthy for the entire season, then redshirting Sears makes sense, with Harris as the backup. That would separate Jones and Sears by two classes.

But if Jones is injured or Sears is just too good to keep on the sidelines, then that equation changes.

Cut walked this tightrope during Boehme's true freshman season, 2013. Anthony Boone and Brandon Connette took turns being the only healthy quarterback for much of the season. Boehme got lots of work in practice and dressed out with the understanding that he would play if anything happened to the starter. {Sirk was out with his first Achilles injury].

Duke's luck held and Boehme never actually played, thus preserving a year of eligibility to the benefit of someone next season.

I emphasize that I have no first-hand knowledge of how this will play out. Just speculation. But it could impact whether Sears redshirts next season.

Bob Green
11-05-2016, 06:09 AM
San Clemente finishes the regular season at 7-3 after being drubbed by 10-0 Mission Viejo 41-3 last night. Jack Sears, who did not throw an interception in the first nine games, was picked off twice:

Sears was pressured often, and was on the move for most of the night. The Duke commit completed 16 of 24 passes for 118 yards and threw two interceptions.

http://www.sanclementetimes.com/football-mission-viejo-rolls-past-tritons-claim-league-title/

Despite the loss, Sears and the Tritons are headed to the play-offs.

Bob Green
11-12-2016, 06:28 AM
San Clemente defeats Chino Hills 36-13 in the 1st Round of the CIF-SS Division 2 play-offs:

http://www.sanclementetimes.com/football-big-plays-defense-sparks-tritons-first-round-playoff-win/

The Tritons settled into a groove offensively in the second half, and they were powered by Sears. The senior Duke commit passed for 83 yards and two touchdowns and added 73 yards rushing over the final two quarters. Sears finished the night with a team-high 98 rushing yards and completed 11 of 17 passes for 201 yards.

Next up is a road game against number one seed Heritage (11-0).

richardjackson199
11-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Parker Boehme is a wildcard here. He will have another year of eligibility at Duke following this season. But I'm pretty sure he's on track to graduate next spring, which means he could transfer somewhere else and play right away as a grad student.

I have no idea which way he's leaning. But I can see the appeal of the grad-student option at a lower-tier conference.

If Boehme comes back, then Duke has three experienced QBs. And I believe Duke will give him the option of returning for a fifth year.

Should Boehme not return, however, Duke would have only Jones, Sears and Harris. If Jones is clearly ahead of Sears and stays healthy for the entire season, then redshirting Sears makes sense, with Harris as the backup. That would separate Jones and Sears by two classes.

But if Jones is injured or Sears is just too good to keep on the sidelines, then that equation changes.

Cut walked this tightrope during Boehme's true freshman season, 2013. Anthony Boone and Brandon Connette took turns being the only healthy quarterback for much of the season. Boehme got lots of work in practice and dressed out with the understanding that he would play if anything happened to the starter. {Sirk was out with his first Achilles injury].

Duke's luck held and Boehme never actually played, thus preserving a year of eligibility to the benefit of someone next season.

I emphasize that I have no first-hand knowledge of how this will play out. Just speculation. But it could impact whether Sears redshirts next season.

Jim would know much more, but during the Duke / UNC broadcast the announcers were also speculating that Sirk could still maybe get a redshirt and also return to Duke's QB mix next year?

budwom
11-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Jim would know much more, but during the Duke / UNC broadcast the announcers were also speculating that Sirk could still maybe get a redshirt and also return to Duke's QB mix next year?

I heard that but can't imagine he would want to do that since Jones (disregarding Sears for a moment) will clearly have the edge as starting QB....unless there's another degree
Sirk can garner, I don't see why he'd want to stick around....

grad_devil
11-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Duke drops Sears? Not much info yet, but is this due to Jones' success this year?

Report: Duke drops 4-star QB commit Jack Sears
http://www.thescore.com/news/1154581

mbird30
11-13-2016, 10:23 PM
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/798000688181571584

Dukehky
11-13-2016, 10:59 PM
He asked for permission. https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate

And the week that will not end continues, likely to end with a pissed off Kansas team playing Duke without its 3 lottery picks. Thank god for Duke over UNC on Thursday.

Go Panthers (Carolina, not Pitt) kinda.

GGLC
11-13-2016, 11:05 PM
What the hell.

sagegrouse
11-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Signed with USC:

Erik McKinney ESPN Staff Writer

USC posted its biggest win of the season on Saturday and didn't have to wait long for a big win on the recruiting trail. The Trojans had been without a quarterback in this 2017 class, but landed their signal-caller when ESPN 300 quarterback Jack Sears flipped his commitment from Duke. Sears, the nation's No. 139 prospect and No. 8 pocket passer, attends the same high school that produced USC starting quarterback Sam Darnold. Sears is scheduled to enroll early at USC.

GGLC
11-14-2016, 12:33 AM
I don't understand.

Bob Green
11-14-2016, 04:52 AM
This is very disappointing news. The QB situation was looking solid with Daniel Jones followed by Jack Sears. Now we are looking at the second recruiting class in a row without a QB signed.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-14-2016, 06:21 AM
I get that this happens fairly often in football recruiting. But if you're not sure, why commit in the first place? It makes you look like an a-hole and can really hurt the team you flip on.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Good luck to Jack if that is his choice. Go Duke.

Avvocato
11-14-2016, 07:18 AM
I get that this happens fairly often in football recruiting. But if you're not sure, why commit in the first place? It makes you look like an a-hole and can really hurt the team you flip on.

I have no inside knowledge, obviously, but the discussion when he committed to Duke was that he planned to enroll early and challenge for playing time as a freshman. That was when it looked like Sirk would be the starter (or Boehme). With Jones establishing himself as the QB of the present, Sears may think that if he is going to have to redshirt and wait a couple of years to play (I.e., wait behind Jones), he may prefer to do it at home at USC.

Very disappointing, but we swim in these waters now. Also shows how good people think Daniel Jones is, in my opinion. Tough news, but at least we have Jones for 2-3 more seasons. We'll pick up the pieces. Better to know now then have it happen on the eve of signing day.

fuse
11-14-2016, 08:16 AM
While I don't pretend to understand the football commitment process at all, given how well Daniel Jones has played, this is not a surprise.

budwom
11-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Lots of factors...California kid and USC is on the rise, Jones is young and prospering at Duke....disappointing but not ultra surprising...

bob blue devil
11-14-2016, 08:58 AM
So is it reasonable to project Jones as our 4 year starter at this point?

CrazyNotCrazie
11-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Very upsetting but this stuff happens in football. I'm glad it happened sooner rather than later but I'm guessing it is too late to find anyone even half as good as Sears at this point. I think the emergence of Jones definitely had an impact on it. Though it is interesting to note that a redshirt freshman has taken over as QB at USC as well, so it is no cake walk there either.

Also, I am a huge fan of Coach Cut and the job he has done, but when push comes to shove, do you play QB at USC or Duke, particularly if you are from California? If this was basketball and the roles were reversed, we would be saying he's nuts for choosing USC over Duke (Thornton's special circumstances don't count here). Granted, basketball is a bit different as there is only one QB who really plays in football vs. basketball, where being recruited over is less of a problem, but I still don't question his decision. It is just frustrating that he had this change of heart after committing to Duke - if he had made this decision up front, we would likely not really be questioning it much.

duke79
11-14-2016, 09:30 AM
UGH.....!! NOT good news (obviously) but also not completely surprising. I'm not sure anyone other than Jack Sears and maybe his parents know what is going on in his mind but kids change their minds quite often (speaking as the parent of a teen-age girl). I have also been wondering ever since Thomas Sirk got injured and Daniel Jones has emerged as a legitimate Div. 1 QB (as a redshirt freshman!) if Sears would re-consider his decision to come to Duke. Assuming Jones continues to improve (hopefully) and assuming that he doesn't have some sort of career-ending injury (God forbid), any QB coming into Duke now, even if they redshirt for a year, is looking at sitting on the bench for two years. I'm sure this was not in Jack Sears' plan for his Duke career. Also, and frankly, I found this a somewhat surprising commit from a star QB in Southern California. I know Coach Cut has the reputation as QB guru BUT it's a long way from Southern Cal to Durham and, let's face reality, even with the improvement in Duke football, Duke is still not really a "football school." Just look at the pathetic attendance at most of the home games. Does a star high school football player really want to play in a half-empty stadium every week? Or would you rather go to a football school like Michigan, Alabama, USC, Florida, Clemson, etc. and play before packed stadium of rabid fans?

Good luck to him. I hope he succeeds wherever he ends up!

loran16
11-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Doubt jones had much to do with this. But keeping hold of four star prospects like sears or petite two years back who are having strong senior seasons in areas dominated by better football colleges is always gonna be rough for this team.

Duke probably should look at the transfer market for qbs, as cut's reputation there should be still strong while transfers are less likely to be that bothered by duke's lack of football reputation. Otherwise We'll have to hope to keep finding underrated gems. Both can be done. Need a qb recruit or two by 18 though

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2016, 09:35 AM
"I started to have second thoughts on my Duke commitment on my official visit for the Army game (Oct. 8). I tried to suppress the change of heart but I really started to assess things the last 10 days and then finally decided yesterday that USC is where I want to be."

There's the problem. Never take a recruiting visit during a hurricane.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1727855-four-star-qb-flips-to-usc

westwall
11-14-2016, 09:39 AM
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/798000688181571584

After watching Jones' recent performances I wondered when this would occur.

Dukehky
11-14-2016, 09:42 AM
While I don't pretend to understand the football commitment process at all, given how well Daniel Jones has played, this is not a surprise.

Have you seen the Darnold kid at USC who is the same number of football years into his career as Jones? 1 eligible. I love Daniel Jones, but to think that Sears has a better chance of playing right away at USC, where they have a frontrunner for the Heisman the next two years, and likely another 5 star QB on the roster or on the way, is home cooked.

The more likely scenario is a mixture of wanting to play for a program on the rise nationally (I know we're doing better, but we are on the rise regionally), and wanting to play for a program close to home, with guys he's played with his entire life.

This sucks, but this is just a USC>Duke in football thing.

I thought had he come, we would have done some Renfree/Boone series splitting next year, this kid is super talented. Good luck to him, I hope he gets to play during his college career.

Again, I don't think that Daniel Jones playing well has ANYTHING to do with this, especially given the way his counterpart at USC has played.

chrishoke
11-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Have you seen the Darnold kid at USC who is the same number of football years into his career as Jones? 1 eligible. I love Daniel Jones, but to think that Sears has a better chance of playing right away at USC, where they have a frontrunner for the Heisman the next two years, and likely another 5 star QB on the roster or on the way, is home cooked.

The more likely scenario is a mixture of wanting to play for a program on the rise nationally (I know we're doing better, but we are on the rise regionally), and wanting to play for a program close to home, with guys he's played with his entire life.

This sucks, but this is just a USC>Duke in football thing.

I thought had he come, we would have done some Renfree/Boone series splitting next year, this kid is super talented. Good luck to him, I hope he gets to play during his college career.

Again, I don't think that Daniel Jones playing well has ANYTHING to do with this, especially given the way his counterpart at USC has played.

We are all guessing here, but early playing time was one of Duke's recruiting advantages over the football powers closer to home.

ehdg
11-14-2016, 10:05 AM
It's a shame that Sears backed out but not as surprised. With the way Jones has come on this year and developed it's kind of expected. As we all know Jones has 3 more years of eligibility ahead. I highly doubt Sears wanted to sit and wait for probably 3 years behind Jones and waist 2 years of his eligibility. Plus it's always hard to keep west coast commits. I understand him backing out but a bit surprised he chose USC. Yes USC is a really good football school and has produced some really good QB's but there he also will have to sit behind a Freshman and wait at least 2 years but only lose 1 year of eligibility. Don't forget Darnold could graduate and go pro if he so chooses after his Junior year being a Red Shirt Freshman this year. Hate losing Sears but least we found out early. Also with the way Jones has played this year I'd think good WR's would want to play with him and we still might be able to bring in a stud WR or 2 in this coming class hopefully!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-14-2016, 10:44 AM
You know, there is a "half full" perspective here too:

Jones is playing so surprisingly well that a top tier QB prospect didn't think he would get in the playing field for a few years.

That's just a little bit awesome.

SoCalDukeFan
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
I have no inside knowledge but would guess that changes at USC might have had a lot to do with this.

In the last several years the USC coaching situation has been very unstable and last year Sark was fired. Max Browne, who had been the top rated pro style hs qb in his class was the heir apparent to Cody Kessler and would have 2 years of eligibility. Sam Darnold was redshirting.

USC has now won 6 in a row. Clay Helton looks like he will be the head coach for a while. Browne bombed out and Darnold has been great, so great that he could easily leave in 2 more years for the NFL. So Sears can red shirt next year, back up Darnold the following, and then compete for the starting job. All the while with stable coaching. Close to home. And both Sears and Darnold went to the same high school so I would assume they at least know each other.

I know the weather was bad when Sears visited Duke but when I watch Duke games on TV I see a lot of empty seats. USC does not fill the Colosseum but there seems to be more excitement than at Wallace Wade. The opposite in basketball.

Just speculation and lots of things change. However it is pretty easy for me to understand the change.

SoCal

budwom
11-14-2016, 11:59 AM
and faster than you can say Jacque Rabitte, Cut gets a QB who just decommitted from Bowling Green, three star Chris Katatrenick, offers from
UVA, ND State, some lesser MACesque schools too.

killerleft
11-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Great news! Chris Katatrenick, welcome!

It is still unknown if Sears will pan out. I'm quite happy to have a QB in hand, maybe two if Thomas Sirk comes back next year. Go Duke!

Son of Jarhead
11-14-2016, 12:53 PM
According to this Scout story (linked below), there is a possibility that Darnold could leave USC after next season, his redshirt Sophmore season, so that would open up the starting job for Sear's redshirt Freshmen year, but he will have to compete with 5-star 2018 USC commit Matt Corral.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1727855-four-star-qb-flips-to-usc

Tom B.
11-14-2016, 12:56 PM
USC has now won 6 in a row. Clay Helton looks like he will be the head coach for a while. Browne bombed out and Darnold has been great, so great that he could easily leave in 2 more years for the NFL. So Sears can red shirt next year, back up Darnold the following, and then compete for the starting job. All the while with stable coaching. Close to home. And both Sears and Darnold went to the same high school so I would assume they at least know each other.

Actually, Darnold could leave after just one more year. Players who've redshirted can enter the NFL draft after their sophomore season, like Johnny Manziel did. So Darnold conceivably could go pro after the 2017 season, meaning Sears would only have to sit behind him for a year. And if Sears redshirted for that season, he wouldn't burn a year of eligibility.

sagegrouse
11-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Great news! Chris Katatrenick, welcome!

It is still unknown if Sears will pan out. I'm quite happy to have a QB in hand, maybe two if Thomas Sirk comes back next year. Go Duke!

This may be the correct spelling (from CBS story): Chris Katernick.

mattman91
11-14-2016, 01:40 PM
You know, there is a "half full" perspective here too:

Jones is playing so surprisingly well that a top tier QB prospect didn't think he would get in the playing field for a few years.

That's just a little bit awesome.

Hear! Hear!

I find this encouraging. Daniel has played very well this year, and appears to have a very high ceiling.

I'm just amazed that his only D1 offer was from Princeton.

killerleft
11-14-2016, 01:53 PM

Thanks. That will save Bob Harris' successor a few syllables over the course of a season.☺

NYBri
11-14-2016, 01:56 PM
After looking at his video, he looks big, accurate and mobile.

Tons of natural tools

budwom
11-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks. That will save Bob Harris' successor a few syllables over the course of a season.☺

speaking of which: any word on who will succeed Mr Bob Harris?

ehdg
11-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Hear! Hear!

I find this encouraging. Daniel has played very well this year, and appears to have a very high ceiling.

I'm just amazed that his only D1 offer was from Princeton.

If I recall correctly it was because Jones got injured early in his Senior year and not many school really got a chance to see him. The only reason Cut found out about him was his HS coach reached out to Cut about him. Least I remember reading something about all of this on the net a while ago.

ikiru36
11-14-2016, 03:23 PM

It actually appears to be KatREnick, per most sources I am seeing. Just a heads up, in case I'm seeing that correctly.

Go Duke!! Go Blue Devils!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

budwom
11-14-2016, 03:51 PM
If I recall correctly it was because Jones got injured early in his Senior year and not many school really got a chance to see him. The only reason Cut found out about him was his HS coach reached out to Cut about him. Least I remember reading something about all of this on the net a while ago.

It was more along the lines that he was a very late bloomer, and was pretty small before his (highly successful) senior year, 6-2, 160...did not attend summer camps, he did have a wrist injury (junior year), but basically he just
didn't distinguish himself until his senior year, by which time most teams were locked in on other prospects.

bob blue devil
11-14-2016, 04:14 PM
It was more along the lines that he was a very late bloomer, and was pretty small before his (highly successful) senior year, 6-2, 160...did not attend summer camps, he did have a wrist injury (junior year), but basically he just
didn't distinguish himself until his senior year, by which time most teams were locked in on other prospects.

For those with more insight into the program than the typical fan, how do people feel about Jones vs our other recent qbs (Sirk, Boone, Renfree, Lewis).

Nugget
11-14-2016, 04:24 PM
I have no inside knowledge but would guess that changes at USC might have had a lot to do with this.

In the last several years the USC coaching situation has been very unstable and last year Sark was fired. Max Browne, who had been the top rated pro style hs qb in his class was the heir apparent to Cody Kessler and would have 2 years of eligibility. Sam Darnold was redshirting.

I know the weather was bad when Sears visited Duke but when I watch Duke games on TV I see a lot of empty seats. USC does not fill the Colosseum but there seems to be more excitement than at Wallace Wade. The opposite in basketball.

Just speculation and lots of things change. However it is pretty easy for me to understand the change.

SoCal

I think it is even more than you suggest attributable to the above supposition because Darnold (at least according to what I read out here about USC) is almost certainly going to go pro after NEXT season (as he would be eligible for the NFL draft after completing his redshirt Soph year), not the following year. So, Sears would seem to be the front runner to step into the starting spot at SC as a redshirt freshman, whereas the likelihood of Daniel Jones going pro early would seem much smaller, in which case Sears possibly would have to wait three years to play at Duke.

Given the emergence of Jones and Darnold over the past 2 months, this development really can't be much of a surprise.

Olympic Fan
11-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Katrenick does not appear to be that highly rated and his offer list is not that impressive.

But so what?

With the single exception of Sean Renfree, NONE of Cut's QBs have been blue chippers. Neither Anthony Boone nor Thomas Sirk were rated big-time recruits. Daniel Jones got one P5 offer -- from Duke.

Heck, next to Renfree, Duke's top rated QB recruit was probably Nico Pierre.

Next year's QB depth chart could be interesting.

We'll have Jones at the top, but who is behind him?

It should be Parker Boehme, who would be a quality, experienced backup. But will Boehme return for a fifth year to sit on the bench? Might he graduate and go somewhere that he has a better chance to play? I have no inside info, but wait and see.

It's possible that Thomas Sirk applies for a sixth year. I doubt this happens -- would he really want to risk his fragile Achilles after another long and grueling rehab? unlikely, but possible.

Quentin Harris is probably next. Hard to tell what he brings to the table after not playing for two years (aside from a few unimpressive snaps vs. NCCU).

Ketrenick is the last guy on the depth chart. But you'd hate to thrust a three-star true freshman into the rotation.

Bottom line: If Jones is healthy all year, we are very well set at QB. But something happens to him, God help us.

ehdg
11-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Katrenick does not appear to be that highly rated and his offer list is not that impressive.

But so what?

With the single exception of Sean Renfree, NONE of Cut's QBs have been blue chippers. Neither Anthony Boone nor Thomas Sirk were rated big-time recruits. Daniel Jones got one P5 offer -- from Duke.

Heck, next to Renfree, Duke's top rated QB recruit was probably Nico Pierre.

Next year's QB depth chart could be interesting.

We'll have Jones at the top, but who is behind him?

It should be Parker Boehme, who would be a quality, experienced backup. But will Boehme return for a fifth year to sit on the bench? Might he graduate and go somewhere that he has a better chance to play? I have no inside info, but wait and see.

It's possible that Thomas Sirk applies for a sixth year. I doubt this happens -- would he really want to risk his fragile Achilles after another long and grueling rehab? unlikely, but possible.

Quentin Harris is probably next. Hard to tell what he brings to the table after not playing for two years (aside from a few unimpressive snaps vs. NCCU).

Ketrenick is the last guy on the depth chart. But you'd hate to thrust a three-star true freshman into the rotation.

Bottom line: If Jones is healthy all year, we are very well set at QB. But something happens to him, God help us.

Sorry to poke fun but where we not saying that when Sirk went down this past August!!! :)

Thankfully he did with Jones!!

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2016, 05:02 PM

Totally agree with that statement, but just to play Devil's advocate, we were saying the same thing about Sirk, and Jones didn't seem to be much more than a blip on the radar. (I do hope Boehme stays, I have confidence in him.)
Never know who steps up when opportunity knocks.

Son of Jarhead
11-15-2016, 01:03 AM
I think it is even more than you suggest attributable to the above supposition because Darnold (at least according to what I read out here about USC) is almost certainly going to go pro after NEXT season (as he would be eligible for the NFL draft after completing his redshirt Soph year), not the following year. So, Sears would seem to be the front runner to step into the starting spot at SC as a redshirt freshman, whereas the likelihood of Daniel Jones going pro early would seem much smaller, in which case Sears possibly would have to wait three years to play at Duke.

Given the emergence of Jones and Darnold over the past 2 months, this development really can't be much of a surprise.

For Sears' redshirt freshman year, he'd have some strong competition from USC's 2018 5-star QB recruit Matt Corral, so I don't see a worry for competition being a big reason for his decision.

killerleft
11-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Other than hoping to call him Craftsman Jack when he got to Duke, Sears is officially off my radar now.:)

jimsumner
11-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Parker Boehme was NOT introduced with the seniors last week.

No guarantee he'll be back next season. But it's a good trend line.

wavedukefan70s
11-16-2016, 08:50 AM
It would be hard to pass on usc .no pun intended.if your from the west coast.if he arrived got home sick and left after a season .he would have done duke and himself a disservice.

cato
11-16-2016, 01:56 PM
It would be hard to pass on usc .no pun intended.if your from the west coast.if he arrived got home sick and left after a season .he would have done duke and himself a disservice.

Not just the west coast in general, but SoCal specifically. It seems that 1/3 of the people I see on Saturday mornings are wearing SC colors, another 1/3 are wearing UCLA colors and the rest are on their way to the beach.

It's hard for me to imagine a football star from San Clemente choosing Duke over SC.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2016, 07:00 PM
For those with more insight into the program than the typical fan, how do people feel about Jones vs our other recent qbs (Sirk, Boone, Renfree, Lewis).

I think when all is said and done, and if he stays healthy, Jones will more than hold his own on that list if not get to the top of it. He is big, he can run, he can throw downfield, he is starting to learn to read the field and the defenses better.

Hard to rate potential against finished careers. But young Mr. Jones is playing well and has a lot of upside to boot.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Parker Boehme was NOT introduced with the seniors last week.

No guarantee he'll be back next season. But it's a good trend line.

I like Parker, surprised we have not seen the Boehme Package in the same way we have with backups in years past. Any idea why? Jones just too good a runner to pull in the red zone?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2016, 08:25 AM
I like Parker, surprised we have not seen the Boehme Package in the same way we have with backups in years past. Any idea why? Jones just too good a runner to pull in the red zone?
Just speculation on my part, but perhaps we don't have a backup backup QB to Parker if he were to go down?

budwom
11-17-2016, 08:30 AM

I think it's because the Jones Package is more effective than the Boehme Package at this point.
Jones's play fakes have been superb, a fine weapon near the goal line.

jv001
11-17-2016, 02:38 PM

I wonder if it's because the odds are higher that Boehme will run the ball rather than pass it when he comes in for Jones? I have really been impressed with Jones' play, especially late in the season. However I'm glad we have Boehme as the back up QB. GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2016, 02:50 PM
I think it's because the Jones Package is more effective than the Boehme Package at this point.

As the guy from the stands watching our ball movement get stuffed repeatedly, only to realize that the guy actually with the ball is churning dirt, I agree.

Bob Green
11-17-2016, 04:59 PM
I wonder if it's because the odds are higher that Boehme will run the ball rather than pass it when he comes in for Jones?

I believe it is a combination of what you say and what budwom says above. With Jones at QB, the offense can run the read-option and/or a run-pass option play. Our Red Zone offense has been very efficient in recent games...off to look at some Red Zone statistics.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2016, 05:03 PM
With Jones at QB, the offense can run the read-option and/or a run-pass option play. Our Red Zone offense has been very efficient in recent games...off to look at some Red Zone statistics.

True, but it was the same with Anthony and with Thomas as well.

Curious to see if the stats show that this year's Red Zone proficiency is greater than those past years with the Connette/etcetera package.

Bob Green
11-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Red Zone percentage takes into account touchdowns and field goals scored in the Red Zone. Duke has 36 trips into the Red Zone scoring 26 touchdowns and three field goals for 80.6 percent which ranks 10 of 14 in the ACC.

For conversational purposes, let's eliminate the field goals and look at touchdowns only. Duke's 26 touchdowns on 36 opportunities is 72.2 percent which would rank four of 14 in the ACC behind Pitt, Virginia and FSU.

Newton_14
11-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Yeah, agree, and it also keeps us from being predictable. Defense has to respect all of our potential plays vs knowing it's very likely to be a QB run.

jimsumner
11-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Red Zone percentage takes into account touchdowns and field goals scored in the Red Zone. Duke has 36 trips into the Red Zone scoring 26 touchdowns and three field goals for 80.6 percent which ranks 10 of 14 in the ACC.

For conversational purposes, let's eliminate the field goals and look at touchdowns only. Duke's 26 touchdowns on 36 opportunities is 72.2 percent which would rank four of 14 in the ACC behind Pitt, Virginia and FSU.

Gee, from those stats one might almost think Duke was having trouble in the realm of kicking field goals.

Isaac Sours
11-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Gee, from those stats one might almost think Duke was having trouble in the realm of kicking field goals.

I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to me that it's four-down territory from the enemy 40yd line to the enemy 10yd line. Ross Martin spoiled us. However, the pooch punts have been a nice wrinkle, and effective.

Bob Green
11-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Not that anyone around here cares anymore but San Clemente upset #1 Seed Heritage 23-19 last night.

http://www.pe.com/articles/yard-818990-first-tritons.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

For the Menifee Heritage football team, the image of San Clemente quarterback Jack Sears running upfield untouched is one that may haunt this offseason for some time.

devildeac
11-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Not that anyone around here cares anymore but San Clemente upset #1 Seed Heritage 23-19 last night.

http://www.pe.com/articles/yard-818990-first-tritons.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Did you post earlier this year that Heritage crushed San Clemente? IF so, quite the turnaround. Would like to have him join us in January, but, in Cut (Jones) I trust.

Bob Green
12-03-2016, 07:16 AM
This should pretty much close this topic up. San Clemente High School won the CIF-SS Division 2 Championship last night with a 45-35 victory over Murrieta Valley (wide receiver Aaron Young #8 attended Murrieta).

http://www.sanclementetimes.com/champions-last-san-clemente-high-school-football-team-wins-cif-ss-division-2-title/

The Tritons, who never trailed in the contest on Dec. 2 and punted only once, saw their lead shrink to 38-35 midway through the fourth quarter. But a scorching 67-yard touchdown run by quarterback Jack Sears late in the quarter and a huge second-half defensive effort sealed a 45-35 victory for the Tritons.

Sears had four total touchdowns, including two passing throws, and ran for 173 yards on 17 carries. He also completed 18 of 22 passes for 209 yards.

budwom
08-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Nothing like digging up an old thread for purposes of schadenfreude (no, I am not above that)...old pal and "commit" Jack Sears just got the news that he will neither be the starter nor the #2 guy for USC this year at QB...JT Daniels retains the job and true freshman Slovis gets the backup job. Might want to spring for one of those cushion seats, Jack.

(Ordinarily I'm OK with a kid changing his mind, but the QB position is unique since Duke recruits precious few...and in this case Jack left us high and dry...which is why, with Holmberg injured, we have but two scholarship QBs on our roster which is NOT favorable in the least). Cut makes it very clear what a commitment means in his mind, so my sympathy for Jack is minimal ....he may still recover as I imagine he will be seeking a transfer sooner rather than later. We'll see.

brlftz
08-21-2019, 08:47 AM
I have to admit That makes me happy to hear. Genuinely not proud but really happy

HereBeforeCoachK
08-21-2019, 09:06 AM
I have to admit That makes me happy to hear. Genuinely not proud but really happy

Maybe he can change positions like our other defector, Chazz babie.....

BD80
08-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Wonder how he would have done with a coach that knows how to coach 4* QBs into first round picks. (Or was DJ a 3* ?)

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Wonder how he would have done with a coach that knows how to coach 4* QBs into first round picks. (Or was DJ a 3* ?)

At the most, DJ was a two-three star, but it's hard to find a ranking service that even went that high on him. Rivals, for example, had him unranked.

Acymetric
08-21-2019, 09:32 AM
At the most, DJ was a two-three star, but it's hard to find a ranking service that even went that high on him. Rivals, for example, had him unranked.

DJ was a flat 2-star. Definitely not ranked 3 star by any service I am aware of.

sagegrouse
08-21-2019, 10:32 AM

DJ was a flat 2-star. Definitely not ranked 3 star by any service I am aware of.

Daniel Jones was a late bloomer -- headed to Princeton until his coach called Cut.

nmduke2001
08-21-2019, 10:37 AM
I would not be surprised if Jack Sears applies for transfer before the first game. If I understand the rule correctly, that would make him eligible to play next year. If he waits until game one, he would not be eligible until the following year. He would also lose a year of eligibility. Can someone confirm that?

budwom
08-21-2019, 10:52 AM
I would not be surprised if Jack Sears applies for transfer before the first game. If I understand the rule correctly, that would make him eligible to play next year. If he waits until game one, he would not be eligible until the following year. He would also lose a year of eligibility. Can someone confirm that?

Not sure but I think you're right and I'm assuming he'll be gone shortly...too bad, he could've used that nice Duke Football cushion I was going to send him...

nmduke2001
08-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Not sure but I think you're right and I'm assuming he'll be gone shortly...too bad, he could've used that nice Duke Football cushion I was going to send him...

I would also assume that there is zero chance that Cut would offer a landing spot here. Loyalty is a big deal to Cut.

duke79
08-21-2019, 11:14 AM

He's a redshirt sophomore, so he has 3 years of eligibility left?? Is that correct?

It looks like Duke's QB position will be wide open next year. I assume Coach Cut would NEVER go after someone who has already "dissed" him once?

OldPhiKap
08-21-2019, 11:38 AM
I don't begrudge Jack anything, and hope he does well.

Chazz, on the other hand, can burn in Hell with the rest of those bastards down the road.

Acymetric
08-21-2019, 11:40 AM
He's a redshirt sophomore, so he has 3 years of eligibility left?? Is that correct?

It looks like Duke's QB position will be wide open next year. I assume Coach Cut would NEVER go after someone who has already "dissed" him once?

Probably not. Even if he would, there is no reason to think we'd be better off with Sears than with Gunnar or Katrenick...he certainly doesn't have any more experience than either (and he has less experience in "our system").

I do find it amazing that we didn't land a QB in the incoming freshman class.

arnie
08-21-2019, 12:03 PM
I don't begrudge Jack anything, and hope he does well.

Chazz, on the other hand, can burn in Hell with the rest of those bastards down the road.

Seems like a reasonable prediction/assessment for the two QB’s that dissed us.

sagegrouse
08-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Well, and Sears didn't play much last year for a 5-7 team that was 4-5 in the weak PAC-12. He played against Arizona State when starter Tyler Vaughns was out and, although he had good stats and two TD's, never saw the field in any other game.

And now he is slated for third string for an unranked USC team. Why would Duke be interested in Sears, even if there was no history?

60sDukie
08-21-2019, 01:35 PM
I am a bad person. I hold a grudge. This is good news

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2019, 01:52 PM
And now he is slated for third string for an unranked USC team. Why would Duke be interested in Sears, even if there was no history?

Exactly. My guess if he does transfer, it sure won't be to any big time, or even medium time, program if he wants to see the field. And unless a Power 5 conference is in really dire QB straits, they probably won't be much interested in Sears, either. Unless they have no respect for the USC coaches that made the call to put him at the back of the line, most teams would likely view it as a wasted scholarship.

Thinking akin to Scott Bracey...high expectations with no results. (I'm still holding out hope for Bracey, though.)

budwom
08-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Exactly. My guess if he does transfer, it sure won't be to any big time, or even medium time, program if he wants to see the field. And unless a Power 5 conference is in really dire QB straits, they probably won't be much interested in Sears, either. Unless they have no respect for the USC coaches that made the call to put him at the back of the line, most teams would likely view it as a wasted scholarship.

Thinking akin to Scott Bracey...high expectations with no results. (I'm still holding out hope for Bracey, though.)

I think you might be wrong about this...I suspect there will be plenty of interest in Sears. Lots of teams need QBs...he'll have multiple P5 offers.

Teton Jack
08-21-2019, 02:45 PM
And they really had me excited. He had/has talent. Was I upset when he reneged on his commitment? Sure was, but I don't hold it against him. I wish him happiness wherever he goes. It would not ruin my day if he ended up at Duke.

sagegrouse
08-21-2019, 02:56 PM
And they really had me excited. He had/has talent. Was I upset when he reneged on his commitment? Sure was, but I don't hold it against him. I wish him happiness wherever he goes. It would not ruin my day if he ended up at Duke.

I blame Sears' de-committal on Hurricane Matthew, which produced huge rains during his OV, the weekend of the Duke-Army game,

duke79
08-21-2019, 03:10 PM
I blame Sears' de-committal on Hurricane Matthew, which produced huge rains during his OV, the weekend of the Duke-Army game,

Yea, I remember watching that game and thinking.......this is totally nuts to be playing a football game in this weather! If I remember correctly, there were about 14 people in the stands (and that may be a high number!) watching the game. Obviously, NOT a good weekend to bring in a top recruit but I know these visits are planned weeks, if not months, in advance. Hard to predict the weather that far in advance. It didn't surprise me in the least when he subsequently broke his commitment to Duke and signed with USC. And, frankly, at the time, I thought it sort of strange that a football "stud" from Southern Cal would want to go to Duke (even with a quarterback "guru" as head coach.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Yea, I remember watching that game and thinking...this is totally nuts to be playing a football game in this weather! If I remember correctly, there were about 14 people in the stands (and that may be a high number!) watching the game. Obviously, NOT a good weekend to bring in a top recruit but I know these visits are planned weeks, if not months, in advance. Hard to predict the weather that far in advance. It didn't surprise me in the least when he subsequently broke his commitment to Duke and signed with USC. And, frankly, at the time, I thought it sort of strange that a football "stud" from Southern Cal would want to go to Duke (even with a quarterback "guru" as head coach.
There were more than 14 of us there. We had almost that number at our tailgate on Blue Devil Alley! But we were the only tent there :cool:.

There were a few hundred fans sitting in the upper stands beneath the new over-hang. We stayed very dry watching the game, as opposed to getting drenched while we tailgated! It was worth every second! Maybe CB&B can re-post a couple of pictures he took of our tailgate!

SoCalDukeFan
08-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Sears is actually 4th string on the USC depth chart.

Some think (and I have no idea if they know anything) that his family told USC start him or he transfers so USC picked JT Daniels to start and buried Sears.

He looked ok against Arizona State last year but USC still lost the game.

While I can see why a player from San Clemente picks USC over Duke I really don't know why he stayed after last season. While USC said the QB job was open this year, clearly Daniels was the front runner and if healthy will be ahead of Sears next year as well. So in my mind he made two bad decisions - picking USC and then staying at USC.

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Maybe CB&B can re-post a couple of pictures he took of our tailgate!

Pictures could never justify capturing what that day was like.

Unfortunately I can't embed the videos I took, but if anyone wants to see all of Kville turned into one giant Slip-N-Slide, and have access to Facebook, enjoy the wet memories.

https://www.facebook.com/crazietalk.net/videos/10154657016659630/

devildeac
08-21-2019, 05:20 PM
There were more than 14 of us there. We had almost that number at our tailgate on Blue Devil Alley! But we were the only tent there :cool:.

There were a few hundred fans sitting in the upper stands beneath the new over-hang. We stayed very dry watching the game, as opposed to getting drenched while we tailgated! It was worth every second! Maybe CB&B can re-post a couple of pictures he took of our tailgate!

I'm guessing we had about 25 at our tailgate, a dedicated and almost crazie (sic) group that showed up that day :eek:.

jimsumner
08-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Tough crowd.

duke2x
08-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Pictures could never justify capturing what that day was like. Unfortunately I can't embed the videos I took, but if anyone wants to see all of Kville turned into one giant Slip-N-Slide, and have access to Facebook, enjoy the wet memories.
https://www.facebook.com/crazietalk.net/videos/10154657016659630/

Unlike Woodstock, which happened before I was born, I was one of the 500 people under the overhang. There were about 10 brave Duke fans and maybe 50-100 brave Army fans that sat out in the rain. The storm, which UNC fans still blame to this day for costing them the Coastal title in 2016, was also a bit overrated compared to the ECU game in 2002. It just poured rain from morning to midnight that ECU day whereas Hurricane Matthew was pretty much done by the end of the game.

This is the ACC's game summary of the Army game from Youtube. You can get a flavor of the rain that day if you don't have Facebook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dVDYAnlLE

SoCalDukeFan
08-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Evidently Sears is on track to graduate this year and will have 2 years of eligibility as a grad transfer.

I would guess he would have an easy time finding a home.

SoCal

jimsumner
08-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Sears' de-commitment was not irrational. He committed to Duke under the assumption that Thomas Sirk would start his senior year, Sears would graduate from high school a semester early, come to Duke and compete for a wide-open QB job with inexperienced competition.

That all changed when Sirk reinjured his Achilles and redshirt freshman Daniel Jones took over and displayed considerable early promise. That meant Sears would be competing with an incumbent starter with three remaining years, along with the possibility that Sirk might be back in the mix.

The landscape had changed significantly.

I do not know if Cut would take him back. But I strongly suspect that some posters on this thread harbor more ill feelings towards Sears than does Cutcliffe.

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Sears' de-commitment was not irrational. He committed to Duke under the assumption that Thomas Sirk would start his senior year, Sears would graduate from high school a semester early, come to Duke and compete for a wide-open QB job with inexperienced competition.

That all changed when Sirk reinjured his Achilles and redshirt freshman Daniel Jones took over and displayed considerable early promise. That meant Sears would be competing with an incumbent starter with three remaining years, along with the possibility that Sirk might be back in the mix.

I do not know if Cut would take him back. But I strongly suspect that some posters on this thread harbor more ill feelings towards Sears than does Cutcliffe.

The animosity towards Sears has felt a little over the top. I understand it more for Surratt.

killerleft
08-23-2019, 09:41 AM
If Sears, in Cut's judgement, can help us? How fast can we get him here?

budwom
08-23-2019, 11:31 AM
If Sears, in Cut's judgement, can help us? How fast can we get him here?

Ha, that ship has both sailed and sunk.

TruBlu
08-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Ha, that ship has both sailed and sunk.

That ship never actually launched.

nmduke2001
08-27-2019, 11:40 PM
As expected, Jack Sears enters transfer protocol.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27479252/sears-enters-transfer-portal-lost-usc-qb-battle

ehdg
08-28-2019, 12:02 AM

Not sure why Coach Cut would revisit Sears. He’s got a highly recruited QB coming in next year from Venice, Cali already in Luca Diamont.

JasonEvans
08-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Not sure why Coach Cut would revisit Sears. He’s got a highly recruited QB coming in next year from Venice, Cali already in Luca Diamont.

Look, I'm thrilled that Luca Diamont is coming and he is a highly regarded recruit who I expect to really compete for the starting job during his tenure at Duke... but Jack Sears was much more highly regarded coming out of high school. I am sure the bloom has come off the Sears rose a good bit as a result of him not breaking through thus far at USC, but -- to put it in basketball terms (recognizing that Duke does not compete for top tier football talent the way we do in basketball) -- Sears was a Jayson Tatum kinda recruit while Diamont is more like an Alex O'Connell.

-Jason "Sears was a 4-star recruit, rated the #4 pro -style QB in the land... Diamont is a 3-star recruit, rated the 20th best pro-style QB prospect" Evans

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Look, I'm thrilled that Luca Diamont is coming and he is a highly regarded recruit who I expect to really compete for the starting job during his tenure at Duke... but Jack Sears was much more highly regarded coming out of high school. I am sure the bloom has come off the Sears rose a good bit as a result of him not breaking through thus far at USC, but -- to put it in basketball terms (recognizing that Duke does not compete for top tier football talent the way we do in basketball) -- Sears was a Jayson Tatum kinda recruit while Diamont is more like an Alex O'Connell.

-Jason "Sears was a 4-star recruit, rated the #4 pro -style QB in the land... Diamont is a 3-star recruit, rated the 20th best pro-style QB prospect" Evans

Jayson Tatum is an awful comparison (as evidenced by the 4-star vs. 5-star ranking). Sears was the #4 QB because it was not seen to be a strong QB class, not because Sears was a blue chip recruit.

BD80
08-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Sears has had 2 1/2 years to physically and emotionally(?) mature, and to learn under college coaching. It was said that he can get his degree and play 2 years as a graduate student, which shows he was at least able to do his job academically.

For me it is the relationship between Cut and Sears. If they can work past Sears' breach of trust, they could make a great combination - classic errant son comes home / redemption story.

chrishoke
08-28-2019, 08:59 AM

FYI, Rivals and ESPN both rank Luca as a four star recruit.

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2019, 09:45 AM

As Duke fans, we should all know that the ranking system in football should be taken with a grain of salt. It is a world of difference between the two sports. Saying that Sears was a 4 star recruit is fine, but the reality is that he is behind Slovis and Finks on the depth chart, both of whom were three stars.

Where Sears was doesn't matter, where he is now does. The USC coaches obviously recognized that he does not have the skills they thought he would have, and with Cut being a master of evaluating QBs, I'd suspect he would see that as well.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-28-2019, 09:47 AM
As Duke fans, we should all know that the ranking system in football should be taken with a grain of salt. It is a world of difference between the two sports. Saying that Sears was a 4 star recruit is fine, but the reality is that he is behind Slovis and Finks on the depth chart, both of whom were three stars.

Where Sears was doesn't matter, where he is now does. The USC coaches obviously recognized that he does not have the skills they thought he would have, and with Cut being a master of evaluating QBs, I'd suspect he would see that as well.

True, and Daniel Jones was either a non star or a 2 star - IIRC - depending on the rating service.

budwom
08-28-2019, 11:43 AM
According to his coach, Sears had the option to stay on the team AND be in the Transfer Portal, so how 'bout that? I think there will be plenty of interest in him....not unlike some situations we've seen in Duke basketball where
a guy comes in, gets not as much time as he'd like, and looks around...seems like he's getting his degree this Fall, then he can play right away elsewhere next year.

(now it's time for me to enter the Lunch Portal)...

jimsumner
08-28-2019, 11:49 AM
People need to get off their high horses on Sears. Anyone else recall what Duke did after Sears decommitted? Why Duke went out and flipped Bowling Green commitment Chris Katrenick. Katrenick had been committed to Bowling Green for seven months. Think his change of heart didn't have some negative impacts on Bowling Green?

This is Power-Five football folks. This is the world that Sears and Katrenick and Southern Cal and Duke and Bowling Green live in. This is how the sausage is made. It is not always pretty.

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 11:53 AM
People need to get off their high horses on Sears. Anyone else recall what Duke did after Sears decommitted? Why Duke went out and flipped Bowling Green commitment Chris Katrenick. Katrenick had been committed to Bowling Green for seven months. Think his change of heart didn't have some negative impacts on Bowling Green?

This is Power-Five football folks. This is the world that Sears and Katrenick and Southern Cal and Duke and Bowling Green live in. This is how the sausage is made. It is not always pretty.

We also flipped Sean Renfree, although people will justify that as a result of PJ coming to GT. I get it with Surratt (there's always going to be some schadenfreude when a guy flips to your hated rival) but the obsession with the Sears decommit...weird to me. I don't want or expect him to end up at Duke, and I don't think he will, but it is because he doesn't really provide anything of value for us not because he's on the naughty list.

budwom
08-28-2019, 11:55 AM

This is Power-Five football folks. This is the world that Sears and Katrenick and Southern Cal and Duke and Bowling Green live in. his is how the sausage is made. It is not always pretty.

I don't see it as a high horse. The QB position is the most crucial one on the team, and Sears' defection hurt us badly. Katrenick is not the caliber of guy who is going to be a major contributor at Duke.
As you say, it's P5 football, so Jack can take his lumps like a big boy...he made his bed and now he gets to wallow in it. (Frankly I think he may come out of it just fine, and good for him if he does).

All in all, Jim, this is just banter on a Duke message board, with no importance in the real world....

OZZIE4DUKE
08-28-2019, 11:57 AM
I don't see it as a high horse. The QB position is the most crucial one on the team, and Sears' defection hurt us badly. Katrenick is not the caliber of guy who is going to be a major contributor at Duke.
As you say, it's P5 football, so Jack can take his lumps like a big boy...he made his bed and now he gets to wallow in it. (Frankly I think he may come out of it just fine, and good for him if he does).

All in all, Jim, this is just banter on a Duke message board, with no importance in the real world...

I wonder what the FITSter would have to say about this??? :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

jimsumner
08-28-2019, 11:57 AM
We also flipped Sean Renfree, although people will justify that as a result of PJ coming to GT.

The difference is that Johnson didn't want Renfree, who was recruited by Gailey to run an offense that no longer existed at GT. His departure was mutual in a way that those of Sears and Katrenick were not. But Duke keeps in "contact" with recruits who they lose but think might be soft in that commitment. Everyone does. Everyone.

jimsumner
08-28-2019, 12:00 PM

All in all, Jim, this is just banter on a Duke message board, with no importance in the real world...

We have posters on this thread who admit to taking pleasure in the fact that Sears dropped on the USC depth chart, others that Cut would never take Sears back because Sears "dissed" Cut, as if Cut was left high and dry at the eighth-grade dance.

Sounds pretty high horse to me.

sagegrouse
08-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Budwom, please. We are setting the course of human history.

budwom
08-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Budwom, please. We are setting the course of human history.

Indeed we are!

For those who said Cut wouldn't take Sears (again), I don't see a horse in it at all, just a statement of fact. For me personally, Jack has taken his lumps and I'd be fine seeing him succeed elsewhere...and if he does his homework properly, I bet he will.

yancem
08-28-2019, 12:31 PM
We have posters on this thread who admit to taking pleasure in the fact that Sears dropped on the USC depth chart, others that Cut would never take Sears back because Sears "dissed" Cut, as if Cut was left high and dry at the eighth-grade dance.

Sounds pretty high horse to me.

Sounds more sour grapes than high horse to me. I think of feelings of moral superiority when I think of "high horse". Those comments seem to me more of the "I'll take my ball and go home" variety. Your point about everyone keeping contact with other teams commitments is sound though.

Reilly
08-28-2019, 12:34 PM
... now it's time for me to enter the Lunch Portal ...

Were you deemed "hungry" by a dietician via the hunger protocol?

budwom
08-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Were you deemed "hungry" by a dietician via the hunger protocol?

The spousal unit was spewing tantalizing aromas my way via the microwave where she is brewing up fresh (organic!) applesauce from our large backyard tree....I have to fight the deer for the apples sometimes.

ehdg
08-28-2019, 02:02 PM
The spousal unit was spewing tantalizing aromas my way via the microwave where she is brewing up fresh (organic!) applesauce from our large backyard tree...I have to fight the deer for the apples sometimes.

Wait you have to fight the DEER or DEAR for the apples? :)

devildeac
08-28-2019, 03:24 PM
The spousal unit was spewing tantalizing aromas my way via the microwave where she is brewing up fresh (organic!) applesauce from our large backyard tree...I have to fight the deer for the apples sometimes.

Wait you have to fight the DEER or DEAR for the apples? :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself :o.

jimsumner
08-28-2019, 03:34 PM
We're about to get a lecture about moving this to the "words" thread. :)

budwom
08-28-2019, 03:47 PM
We're about to get a lecture about moving this to the "words" thread. :)

as fans it is high time that we have a game actually played...the five month April thru August layoff doesn't give us much meat or apple to chew on. Still wish we were starting with Middle Tennessee, but such is life.

duke79
08-28-2019, 05:15 PM

You mean.......the dozens of hours that most of us have wasted posting messages on this board have no meaning or relevance in the real world? Since when?

duke79
08-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Yea, we have about 15 to 20 apple trees in our backyard and every night, it resembles the D-Day invasion as hordes of deer come down to feed.

Gewebe14
08-28-2019, 05:20 PM
For those who are closer to the program, is there any shot we go for him as a transfer? I say bring it on!!! Unless he really is that bad...

Also,
Coach Cut should start warning our top QB recruits what happens when you decommit from Duke! Surrat, Sears.... “hate” to see it

BD80
08-28-2019, 06:03 PM
[/B]
Yea, we have about 15 to 20 apple trees in our backyard and every night, it resembles the D-Day invasion as hordes of deer come down to feed.

But they leave something of value behind, or from their behinds. What they leave is the academic currency of chapel hill!

roge054
08-28-2019, 06:28 PM

Yippee-ki-yay

HereBeforeCoachK
08-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Sounds more sour grapes than high horse to me. I think of feelings of moral superiority when I think of "high horse". Those comments seem to me more of the "I'll take my ball and go home" variety. Your point about everyone keeping contact with other teams commitments is sound though.

I would say more schadenfreude than high horse or sour grapes. I had a touch of that, and I do understand Jim's point about P5 reality....and of course, Kaetrinick might have the same fate at Duke.

SoCalDukeFan
08-29-2019, 07:06 PM

I agree with you on that the ranking system is football should be taken with a grain of salt. However I would not put too much in Sears being 4th string.

For one thing Clay Helton's record as choosing QBs is not great. He chose Max Browne, now a TV analyst, over Sam Darnold, now the Jets QB. My wife is a Trojan and we have season tickets and many who follow it closer than I think Sears should have been the starter last year over Daniels. While USC lost to ASU in the one game that Sears played, he looked pretty good the last 3 quarters. Sears is more mobile than Daniels. The general scuttlebutt is that Daniels was promised the QB job if he left early which he got last year. This years Sears or his family said that if Sears did not get the starting job he would transfer, and evidently he will. The transfer demand probably relegated him to 4th string.

I have no idea what Cut thinks about Sears. It is Power 5 football. When Sears left he probably knew that Darnold would leave early creating a chance for Sears to compete with Matt Fink for the QB job. Daniels leaving HS early probably surprised him.

USC has a new OC who should have been a major player in picking the starting QB. They said Sears was the least consistent of the 4, hence 4th string. Daniels has a great arm.

Whoever gets Sears will be getting an intelligent fairly mobile QB with a very good arm.

SoCal

jimsumner
09-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Daniels out for the season with ACL tear.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27518363/usc-qb-daniels-acl-meniscus-season

Bridges burned? Is Sears even still enrolled?

SoCalDukeFan
09-01-2019, 10:57 PM
Daniels out for the season with ACL tear.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27518363/usc-qb-daniels-acl-meniscus-season

Bridges burned? Is Sears even still enrolled?

Sears is still enrolled and, I hear, on track to graduate in December. If so he will have 2 years as a grad transfer.

Will be interesting to see what he does. Obviously there are things about USC that Sears likes or he would have transferred earlier.
Will he come back as 3 rd team?

USC coaches installed a true frosh as 2nd team, he is now the starter. Long season for Trojan fans.

He is a talented player.

SoCal

jimsumner
09-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Sears is still enrolled and, I hear, on track to graduate in December. If so he will have 2 years as a grad transfer.

Will be interesting to see what he does. Obviously there are things about USC that Sears likes or he would have transferred earlier.

USC coaches installed a true frosh as 2nd team, he is now the starter. Long season for Trojan fans.

He is a talented player.

SoCal

But was Sears actually 4th team or was that a response to his expressed dissatisfaction with certain aspects of the program?

budwom
09-02-2019, 01:19 PM

He is a talented player.

SoCal

He is talented...still evidently not with the team (though enrolled as you say)...can't see him coming back and blowing a year only to be a backup at this point, but who knows?
Most likely he gets his degree and seeks a better situation for himself.

SoCalDukeFan
09-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Unless you can read the mind of Clay Helton.

Many think that Helton thought or was told by Sears's family that Sears would transfer if he was not the starter. So Helton made him 4th string. Why make him 2nd string if he was going to leave the team anyway? Helton and the OC said that the other QBs were more consistent in practice. But who knows? What I do know is that against ASU last year he looked ok, especially in the last 3 quarters. I also know that the frosh they made 2nd team was lightly recruited but is now the starter. He had one nice TD pass and one horrible interception on Saturday. They also dumbed the offense down for him.

There are reports that Helton has reached out to Sears to try to bring him back to the team. Would love to be in the room for that.

I hope that all Duke fans understand how lucky Duke is to have Coach Cut running the football program. While we were certainly out talented by Alabama and may be by others in the season, we have a coach who knows what he is doing.

SoCal

budwom
09-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Unless you can read the mind of Clay Helton.

Many think that Helton thought or was told by Sears's family that Sears would transfer if he was not the starter. So Helton made him 4th string. Why make him 2nd string if he was going to leave the team anyway? Helton and the OC said that the other QBs were more consistent in practice. But who knows? What I do know is that against ASU last year he looked ok, especially in the last 3 quarters. I also know that the frosh they made 2nd team was lightly recruited but is now the starter. He had one nice TD pass and one horrible interception on Saturday. They also dumbed the offense down for him.

There are reports that Helton has reached out to Sears to try to bring him back to the team. Would love to be in the room for that.

I hope that all Duke fans understand how lucky Duke is to have Coach Cut running the football program. While we were certainly out talented by Alabama and may be by others in the season, we have a coach who knows what he is doing.

SoCal

good points, but I don't follow the Cut comment...if Helton thought JT Daniels was the most talented QB, and Sears said he'd walk if he were a backup, what could he (or Cut) have done differently? Didn't Cut essentially lose Thomas Sirk the same way, i.e. Jones got the starting job, Sirk departed for ECU?

devildeac
09-02-2019, 02:07 PM
good points, but I don't follow the Cut comment...if Helton thought JT Daniels was the most talented QB, and Sears said he'd walk if he were a backup, what could he (or Cut) have done differently? Didn't Cut essentially lose Thomas Sirk the same way, i.e. Jones got the starting job, Sirk departed for ECU?

Was Sirk 4-6 months out from knee injury/surgery and still rehabbing when summer practice and the season started that year? (not trusting memory here-help, please)

SoCalDukeFan
09-02-2019, 02:45 PM

The Cut Comment had more to do with everything about coaching football, not just the QB situation. Nick Saban knows what he is doing but his former QB is playing for Oklahoma. I get that. Good QBs want to be leaders and are not going to sit on the bench on the chance that the starter gets hurt. I don't remember all the details of the Sirk transfer but remember Sears went into the transfer portal right before the first game, not in the off season. I would have assumed that Cut would have tried to keep Sears as backup for the season, and in which case he would have played the 2nd half against Fresno and would be the starter against Stanford. But Cut might have have lost Sears to the transfer portal in the same situation, we will never know.

However I am pretty confident that a Cut coached team will NEVER on the opening kickoff of the season have two players on the field with the same number and nullify a 61 year kick off return. I am pretty confident that a Cut coached team trying to run out the clock will NEVER call TO with 15 seconds left on the play clock. I could go on and on.

SoCal

jimsumner
09-02-2019, 03:06 PM
I was at the press conference when Cut announced that the NCAA had granted Sirk a sixth year of eligibility. Remember that Sirk had been the starting QB in 2015 before his injury and Jones was the starter for 2016.

Cut said all the right things about Sirk. Sirk seems to be a genuinely nice guy and I have no reason to question Cut's good feelings about that extra year.

But Cut also stated clearly and unequivocally that Duke had one returning starting quarterback for 2017 and his name was Daniel Jones. No QB controversy.

I have no idea what was said behind closed doors and one could sympathize with Sirk if he thought he was not going to get a legit shot at regaining his starting spot. Remember, Sirk had led Duke to a bowl victory over a Big 10 team in the last game he played at Duke.

But it's hard to argue with the results.

brlftz
09-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Just Saturday we did start the second half with a delay of game on the very first play though...

budwom
09-02-2019, 04:51 PM
I was at the press conference when Cut announced that the NCAA had granted Sirk a sixth year of eligibility. Remember that Sirk had been the starting QB in 2015 before his injury and Jones was the starter for 2016.

Cut said all the right things about Sirk. Sirk seems to be a genuinely nice guy and I have no reason to question Cut's good feelings about that extra year.

But Cut also stated clearly and unequivocally that Duke had one returning starting quarterback for 2017 and his name was Daniel Jones. No QB controversy.

I have no idea what was said behind closed doors and one could sympathize with Sirk if he thought he was not going to get a legit shot at regaining his starting spot. Remember, Sirk had led Duke to a bowl victory over a Big 10 team in the last game he played at Duke.

I'll never begrudge a kid who wants to play more and decides to go elsewhere...both Sirk and Cut did things just fine...it's tough keeping everyone happy. K has lost more than a few kids that way, too, it's just part of the job. (Some kids leave for better reasons than other kids, but that's a whole different discussion).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-03-2019, 06:44 AM

The results for Daniel Jones so far indeed....that said, I can't help but wonder how that Duke season might've ended had Sirk been around as DJ got banged up and went into his mini slump that soph season....because as you stated, Sirk's last game as a Blue Devil was a really good one for him.....big win, big stats.

jimsumner
09-03-2019, 07:15 PM
FWIW, I am told that Duke is not pursuing Sears.

sagegrouse
09-20-2019, 10:43 PM
Current starter Kedon Slovis was injured on the second play from scrimmage and left the game. Long-time sub Matt Fink entered the game and has had some success, with USC in the lead at the half over Utah, 14-10. QB JT Daniels was injured in the first half of the opener against Fresno State.

Jack Sears is enrolled in school and three weeks ago said he could play if USC needed him.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2019, 11:00 PM
Current starter Kedon Slovis was injured on the second play from scrimmage and left the game. Long-time sub Matt Fink entered the game and has had some success, with USC in the lead at the half over Utah, 14-10. QB JT Daniels was injured in the first half of the opener against Fresno State.

Jack Sears is enrolled in school and three weeks ago said he could play if USC needed him.

Lots of success. More than enough to put Sears at ease with his choice to move on.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Lots of success. More than enough to put Sears at ease with his choice to move on.
Nix that.
I meant to say "INSANE AMOUNT OF SUCCESS". Wow, what a performance Fink has put on tonight.

Goodnight, Jack

BlueDevil16
09-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Chase Garbers did well today. Frankly struck out on recruiting QBs that year.

budwom
09-21-2019, 03:24 PM
USC has a stumbling program and ends up with at least three solid QBs on their roster (and perhaps Jack would have been four)...I wish we had that particular problem.