PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs Virginia Tech, Nov 5 3:30 pm, ESPNU

devildeac
10-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Keys to victory for the good guys in this one?

(yea, I know, score more points than they do :p-figured I'd get that reply out of the way early)

Once again, we have to limit turnovers and big plays which we have had great difficulty doing on quite a number of occasions this year. :(

richardjackson199
10-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Keys to victory for the good guys in this one?

(yea, I know, score more points than they do :p-figured I'd get that reply out of the way early)

Once again, we have to limit turnovers and big plays which we have had great difficulty doing on quite a number of occasions this year. :(

I'm seeing some early lines Va Tech -11.5. We've overcome worse!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-31-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm seeing some early lines Va Tech -11.5. We've overcome worse!

Curious - what is our record against the spread this year?

sagegrouse
10-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Curious - what is our record against the spread this year?

Per Vegas Insider: We beat the spread against NCCU, ND, Army, Louisville, and Georgia Tech. We failed to beat the spread against Wake, Northwestern and Virginia, since we lost by 10, 11 and 14. that's 5-3 against the spread. Against the "over/under," definitely take the "under," where Duke is 6-2.

Bob Green
11-02-2016, 02:06 PM
The injuries keep mounting making it tougher on the team to turn the corner this season but a win over VT would be a big step in the right direction. Vegas likes the Hokies by 11 points with the over/under set at 52.5 points.

It will be interesting to see if the staff dials up some new things on offense this week with Shaun Wilson being the feature back. Duke operated out of the Pistol with Wilson quite a bit last week.

It is time to keep churning and get win number four.

Bob Green
11-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Here is the uniform combo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwWGtUHW8AAE4DZ.jpg

devildeac
11-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Well, there is some Pantone 287 in that combo :rolleyes: .

pfrduke
11-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Love the helmets.

-jk
11-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Love the helmets.

Nice Devil!

-jk

Avvocato
11-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately, I missed last week's game (had a charity event), but I love our fight. At 3-5, we have to just keep fighting every game. As for Saturday, taking the one game at a time approach, I think we have to do what we try to do every game, which is limit mistakes, bend but don't break on defense, keep us in the game, and hope the offense can finish drives with touchdowns. I'm sorry that Duncan's career has ended, and wish him the best in his recovery. I do wonder if the coaching staff is firmly committed to redshirting our true freshmen running backs, or if Cut will consider playing one of them. If either is ready, it could be an opportunity to get one ready for next season, at a minimum. It would also be great to have a running back who can run tough up the middle. While I like Wilson, using him to hammer defenses up the middle is not really his game. I am not a huge fan of the special helmet, but I also don't care too much either way. I hope fans fill up Wally Wade and support the team. Although the record is 3-5, I like the talent on the team and the fight it has shown, and I'm really enjoying watching them. I'd love to get another statement win heading into the final stretch of the season. While I don't want to do anything that helps the Heels in the Coastal Division, let's get this one on Saturday. Go Duke.

Richard Berg
11-04-2016, 12:17 PM
It would also be great to have a running back who can run tough up the middle. While I like Wilson, using him to hammer defenses up the middle is not really his game.
Ajeigbe is a good blocker and fiery competitor, but I agree he doesn't have the necessary oomph -- and neither does anyone else. I think the best person we can put in the "pound between tackles" role is Jones. Look for a higher # of designed QB draws, as well as more zone read where Jones has the option to keep up the middle or hand to Wilson to sweep out wide. If he can muster 80-90% of Sirk's toughness, combined with his quickly improving arm and decision-making, we have a chance against anyone.

Now to see if our DBs remember how to play coverage...

Avvocato
11-04-2016, 01:21 PM
If he can muster 80-90% of Sirk's toughness, combined with his quickly improving arm and decision-making, we have a chance against anyone.

Not comparing to Sirk, but Jones is actually a pretty tough kid. He looks skinny, but he actually runs hard, lays licks on defenders, and is much tougher than you would think looking at him. I actually don't want him always running in such a way, because his body is not like Sirk's (who is like a fullback), and I don't want him unnecessarily risking injury, but I like Jones' toughness.

Clocktower
11-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Speaking of Jones, his younger brother Bates is leading undefeated Charlotte Latin into the independent school football playoffs starting tonight. At about 6'8", he's a tough senior QB with many of Daniel's same strengths. Alas, he's committed to play hoops in college for Bob McKillop at Davidson.

Let's beat those Hokies!

Bob Green
11-04-2016, 05:45 PM
I think the best person we can put in the "pound between tackles" role is Jones.

Not comparing to Sirk, but Jones is actually a pretty tough kid. He looks skinny, but he actually runs hard, lays licks on defenders, and is much tougher than you would think looking at him.

The game plan will most likely include runs up the middle by the quarterback seeing as Sirk ran all over VT last season. A quick glance at the Box Score reveals 18 rushes for 109 yards by Sirk. Wilson ran for 60 yards on four carries including a 58 yard TD run on an option play out of the Pistol Formation.

VT will load the box relying on their cornerbacks to cover our wide receivers man-to-man. They have very good cornerbacks. I believe it will be necessary to complete some passes outside and downfield early in the game to open up the running lanes a bit. Sirk completed 19 passes for 270 yards and four touchdowns last season. Five different receiver caught passes (T.J. Rahming did not play in the VT game).

For Duke to win, Daniel Jones is going to have to put the offense on his shoulders...

Reminder: stats from last season's game are skewed due to playing four OTs.

Reilly
11-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Maybe we'll get a few Parker B series and runs to take the pounding off of DJ17.

Reilly
11-05-2016, 06:38 AM
Gameday Ssturday. Fight, fight Blue Devils. We've shown amazing toughness against VT the past few years -- excited to see who stars for Duke today.

Bob Green
11-05-2016, 08:17 AM
The car is packed, the family is ready so we are off to Duke. My final pregame thoughts, the defense must find a way to pressure Jerod Evans. Go Duke!

Olympic Fan
11-05-2016, 11:41 AM
The game plan will most likely include runs up the middle by the quarterback seeing as Sirk ran all over VT last season. A quick glance at the Box Score reveals 18 rushes for 109 yards by Sirk. Wilson ran for 60 yards on four carries including a 58 yard TD run on an option play out of the Pistol Formation.

VT will load the box relying on their cornerbacks to cover our wide receivers man-to-man. They have very good cornerbacks. I believe it will be necessary to complete some passes outside and downfield early in the game to open up the running lanes a bit. Sirk completed 19 passes for 270 yards and four touchdowns last season. Five different receiver caught passes (T.J. Rahming did not play in the VT game).

For Duke to win, Daniel Jones is going to have to put the offense on his shoulders...

Reminder: stats from last season's game are skewed due to playing four OTs.

The key point.

The changing in coaching staff (and the transfer QB) have energized the Virginia Tech offense, but Justin Fuentes retained defensive coordinator Bud Foster -- the most overrated defensive coach in college football (he's good, but not as good as his TV reputation. They were ninth in the ACC in total defense a year ago ... just ahead of No. 10 Duke). They play the same defensive game they did a year ago (and years before that).

The key to shredding Foster's defenses in recent years has been a running QB. We also need receivers to beat man-to-man coverages.

As Bob said, the key to winning this game is Daniel Jones ...

Avvocato
11-05-2016, 12:06 PM
The key point.

The changing in coaching staff (and the transfer QB) have energized the Virginia Tech offense, but Justin Fuentes retained defensive coordinator Bud Foster -- the most overrated defensive coach in college football (he's good, but not as good as his TV reputation. They were ninth in the ACC in total defense a year ago ... just ahead of No. 10 Duke). They play the same defensive game they did a year ago (and years before that)

I totally agree about Bud Foster. I think keeping Bud helped with continuity changing from the Beamer era, but I agree, he's very overrated. Of course, I hope we didn't just jinx anything. On second thought, Bud's the best. Let's go Duke.

Richard Berg
11-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Not comparing to Sirk, but Jones is actually a pretty tough kid. He looks skinny, but he actually runs hard, lays licks on defenders, and is much tougher than you would think looking at him. I actually don't want him always running in such a way, because his body is not like Sirk's (who is like a fullback), and I don't want him unnecessarily risking injury, but I like Jones' toughness.

I agree. That's why I'm hoping to see more -- so long as he can protect the ball (and his body).

-jk
11-05-2016, 02:44 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
11-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/Virginia Tech...

http://www.scacchoops.com/virginia-tech-at-duke-football-live-stats-11052016

YmoBeThere
11-05-2016, 06:38 PM
If they don't call that targeting, what's the point?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Terrible play calling on that last offensive possession after the targeting call. I don't get it. 50 yd line and over 4 minutes and we throw it three times. Crappy game management.

6th Man
11-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Hindsight is 20-20, but man I wish they had gone for it on 4th down.

Tripping William
11-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Good news: We can play with anybody.

Bad news: We just can't seem to get over the hump and win.

killerleft
11-05-2016, 07:11 PM
With the injuries and inexperience we've had to deal with this year, our guys have showed a lot of character and resilience. I'm proud of them.

Sure would be nice to put it all together next week. Big ask, I know.

fuse
11-05-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't understand the decision to punt with 4 minutes left.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2016, 07:45 PM

If we hold them and get the ball back, we have a good shot to at least get into fg range or score.

Fourth and seven or so is not an ideal situation.

I agreed with the call at the time. FWIW.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-05-2016, 07:53 PM
If we hold them and get the ball back, we have a good shot to at least get into fg range or score.

It was the first down call I didn't understand. Run the ball and get a couple yards on first down like we had been successfully doing. Instead Jones drops back and gets sacked. Grrrr.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2016, 07:54 PM
It was the first down call I didn't understand. Run the ball and get a couple yards on first down like we had been successfully doing. Instead Jones drops back and gets sacked. Grrrr.

Agreed, that was the questionable call. I can only think they were trying to pick on the guy who came in for the ejected pHokie secondary guy.

ipatent
11-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Give this team credit. It is a down season for different reasons, but the winning spirit from the past few years has carried over and they don't quit.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Give this team credit. It is a down season for different reasons, but the winning spirit from the past few years has carried over and they don't quit.

Agreed.

sagegrouse
11-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Agreed, that was the questionable call. I can only think they were trying to pick on the guy who came in for the ejected pHokie secondary guy.

Now exactly who did we have to run the ball? Not Wilson, not Duncan, perhaps not Ajeigbe (whose foot was swathed in bandages). Maybe the Harvard flash, Zach Boden?

OldPhiKap
11-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Now exactly who did we have to run the ball? Not Wilson, not Duncan, perhaps not Ajeigbe (whose foot was swathed in bandages). Maybe the Harvard flash, Zach Boden?

Nico? Maybe a draw play for Jones.

MCFinARL
11-05-2016, 08:25 PM

Yes, their fight and determination in the face of extensive injuries, etc., are commendable. As sorry as I am that their record is what it is, I like this team a lot. They have been in every game and have not quit ever.

JasonEvans
11-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Yes, their fight and determination in the face of extensive injuries, etc., are commendable. As sorry as I am that their record is what it is, I like this team a lot. They have been in every game and have not quit ever.

Some seasons it feels like everything goes right and you win all the close ones and some seasons it feels like everything goes wrong and you lose all the close ones. This would be one of the latter.

We really had a good shot in this game. The blocked FG return for TD is a 10 point swing. It felt like most of the big 3rd and 4th down plays went their way. They were especially good when we had them in 3rd and long, converting a couple of them or coming close enough to allow them to convert on 4th. It was frustrating.

So close...

-Jason "maybe it will all come together on Thursday... that would be nice!" Evans

OldPhiKap
11-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Some seasons it feels like everything goes right and you win all the close ones and some seasons it feels like everything goes wrong and you lose all the close ones. This would be one of the latter.

We really had a good shot in this game. The blocked FG return for TD is a 10 point swing. It felt like most of the big 3rd and 4th down plays went their way. They were especially good when we had them in 3rd and long, converting a couple of them or coming close enough to allow them to convert on 4th. It was frustrating.

So close...

-Jason "maybe it will all come together on Thursday... that would be nice!" Evans

How is it we have two short weeks this season?

Newton_14
11-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Shout out to our Football Team and coaching staff. How they are staying competitive despite the injuries is amazing. I walked out with a very nice gentleman and his wife who were from VaTech. I asked them what they thought their chances would have been if they had played the game without their starting QB, RB, #1Wide Receiver, and they said not very good, and I never even got to the part about not having our starting safety and best defender who is also our best kick returner, and without our starting punter. This team is hanging in there very well against all those odds.

Well played game on the whole. My only nits to pick are 1. we scored our 3rd TD using the Read/Option with Jones killing Vatech with QB keepers, but we got the ball back down 24-21, we went away from that and got pass happy. I would have liked to have seen us keep running that set until they proved they could stop it. 2. I know it was 4th and 7, but I was against punting. To me it was "All In" time... you push your entire pile of chips to the middle of the table and hope to pull out a first down on the river card. I just feared we would not get the ball back punting with 4:37 left.

So I am disappointed but also very proud of my team!

Go Duke!

devildeac
11-05-2016, 10:49 PM

I agreed at the time, too. My retrospectoscope says otherwise. Cut trusted the D to get the stop kinda/sorta deep in their own end. They had played well in the 2nd half I thought. For the second straight week, they allowed a big play for a first down. Ball game. Dammit.

devildeac
11-05-2016, 10:51 PM

Nico? Maybe a draw play for Jones.

I'd have liked the Jones read option. Agree w/OPK.

Reilly
11-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Now exactly who did we have to run the ball? ... Maybe the Harvard flash, Zach Boden?

Zach is the real cap'n of the badass team.

devildeac
11-05-2016, 10:52 PM
How is it we have two short weeks this season?

The acc and espn love us :rolleyes: .

Bob Green
11-05-2016, 10:54 PM
I just arrived back home from the game and desire to give props to the team for their hard fought effort today. We were in it until the end but just couldn't find a way to win.

My biggest concern right now is Shaun Wilson's health. If he is in concussion protocol and unable to play on Thursday, our running game has taken another huge hit.

Reilly
11-05-2016, 10:56 PM
... They have been in every game and have not quit ever.

Our worst loss, in terms of negative point differential, was to .... 2-7 Virginia.

Likable, tough-luck team.

Bob Green
11-05-2016, 11:40 PM
My biggest concern right now is Shaun Wilson's health. If he is in concussion protocol and unable to play on Thursday, our running game has taken another huge hit.

So I just read Jim Sumner's recap on the main page and it says Coach Cutcliffe doesn't believe Wilson will be subject to concussion protocol but Joe Ageijbe isn't good (his health isn't good).

Will we burn a redshirt in Week 10?

Olympic Fan
11-06-2016, 12:25 AM
So I just read Jim Sumner's recap on the main page and it says Coach Cutcliffe doesn't believe Wilson will be subject to concussion protocol but Joe Ageijbe isn't good (his health isn't good).

Will we burn a redshirt in Week 10?

No ... he talked about why he wouldn't do that last week. It's too late (especially since this season is unsalvageable). We'll see Pierre, Boden and Mann before we see Brown.

I just want to talk about the state of the program. There is an idiot out there agitating on twitter for Cut's dismissal. I hope we are not as stupid as Ole Miss, to dump a great coach after one season where everything went wrong.

It has been an unfortunately season -- when three of your four captains (and best players) are lost to injury. That doesn't count our No. 1 wide receiver. The struggles of our two freshman kickers hasn't helped either. Yet, through it all, we have remained competitive -- in EVERY game. With only a little better on-field luck (or a few strategic plays) we could be headed for our fifth straight bowl game.

The team may be struggling, but the PROGRAM is in great shape. Daniel Jones shouldn't have had to start this season -- and his inexperience hurt us badly in some early games. But you can see his talent and see him growing. I think we would have been better this season with a healthy Thomas Sirk at QB, but I also think that Jones has a much higher ceiling at a QB. We'll be in much better shape next season with him returning for his second year as a starter. Our offense returns almost intact (now that we've had to replace Duncan and Nash) ... we lose Schneider and two offensive line starters, but we're loaded at TE (Helm, Koppenhaver and redshirt Birmingham) and we have some gifted redshirts coming up on the offensive line (Santos, Kraeling, etc).

Defensively, we're playing more players than ever before. We'll have to replace Wolf and three veteran DBs (four if you count Edwards), but we've played a lot of kids, both up front and in the secondary. We start with a great foundation, especially two young stud LBs.

As Cut mentioned today, they are redshirting a ton of talented players -- Bracey, Brown, Birmingham, Deveaux are all playmakers. Maybe Keyston Fuller can get healthy.

My biggest concern going into next year might be a placekicker. I've seen some talented kickers ruined by early struggles (Joe Surgan most recently). I hope Reed can find himself ... if not, maybe a fifth-year grad transfer?

Anyway, the more I see of the young talent on this team, the more comfortable I feel about the future. Yes, this is a write-off year, but Cut and his program are going to be fine.

richardjackson199
11-06-2016, 01:37 AM
It was a fun game, beautiful weather, and outstanding turnout in Wade. The Hokie fans near us were very kind and classy for the most part. Our team continues to show immense heart, and this week was 50 yards from beating the #19 team in the country. I could not have been more impressed with Jones today. He almost willed us to the win.

I wanted to go for it on 4th and 7, just had a feeling that was our best chance to win. I understand and can't fault the decision. Anybody calling to fire Cut is out of their mind.

We had a wonderful time at the tailgate meeting families of Devildeac, Bob Green, Ozzie, TNT Devil, CameronBornAndBread, and others. What an incredible tailgate and group of people who frequent this board. And yes - they REALLY know their beer!

9F. GTHC. If our team can find some way to spoil the Cheats Coastal division title hopes, that would be pretty awesome. We're due for a win - it would be a pretty sweet time to get it. We'll be underdogs, but I'm not counting this team out.

YmoBeThere
11-06-2016, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in someone's twitter rants. Too many of us alums have been through too many awful season to not recognize the good thing we've got. My bigger worry is always that Coach Cutcliffe decidess he's got other things to do...

arnie
11-06-2016, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in someone's twitter rants. Too many of us alums have been through too many awful season to not recognize the good thing we've got. My bigger worry is always that Coach Cutcliffe decidess he's got other things to do...

Duke is certainly happy with Cut and at least this season will quell rumors about other jobs. Injuries played a big part, but horrible special team play, and inability to stop big plays on D had a lot to do with the overall record. The talent level keeps improving and Oly's summary above gives hope for next year.

I'm more concerned with the seasons after Cut retires. Will we bring in a coach that can at least keep us ACC competitive??

Bob Green
11-06-2016, 08:21 AM
No ... he talked about why he wouldn't do that last week. It's too late (especially since this season is unsalvageable). We'll see Pierre, Boden and Mann before we see Brown.

While I agree with you it is too late to burn a redshirt, comments in the "Notes" section of Jim Sumner's recap article indicate the staff is going to assess the situation.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/11/5/13536312/virginia-tech-nips-duke-24-21

The injury crisis grows. Cutcliffe said he doesn’t think Wilson will be subject to concussion protocols but that Ajeigbe “is not good.”

Duke has not played freshmen running backs Brittain Brown or Elijah Deveaux but Cutcliffe says Duke will “assess” tomorrow whether to play either, Brown the most likely option.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-06-2016, 09:03 AM
While I agree with you it is too late to burn a redshirt, comments in the "Notes" section of Jim Sumner's recap article indicate the staff is going to assess the situation.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/11/5/13536312/virginia-tech-nips-duke-24-21

Wait, wait, wait! We have three games left. None of the remaining teams is as good as Louisville or VPI. Admittedly UNC has been rough on us the last two years. The running back situation is scary. Yet we still have a chance to win 6 games. I don't think we punt in this situation and give up on the season.

And to anyone who thinks Cut isn't a great coach, just replay the Louisville game and watch what a great game plan he had.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-06-2016, 11:20 AM
And to anyone who thinks Cut isn't a great coach, just replay the Louisville game and watch what a great game plan he had.
Pretty certain that NO ONE here is saying or implying that. Not even remotely.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2016, 11:39 AM
I just want to talk about the state of the program. There is an idiot out there agitating on twitter for Cut's dismissal. I hope we are not as stupid as Ole Miss, to dump a great coach after one season where everything went wrong.

If there is one thing I have learned in 2016, any idiot with a Twitter account can say something stupid.

Sure that guy or gal is a Duke fan?

ramdevil
11-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Despite their record and our communal heartbreak, I love this team. We can see them improving with each game. They never give up, even when the other team appears to outweigh our guys by 100 pounds per lineman. Even when they can't hear on their home field because the visiting team fans are loud. The games are exciting, mostly well-played. I think my favorite players are Ben Humphries and Joe Giles Harris, but Marquis Price is another favorite. And Daniel Jones. And the punter (is he a walk-on??).

Duke football!

-ramdevil

CameronBlue
11-06-2016, 01:05 PM
If there is one thing I have learned in 2016, any idiot with a Twitter account can say something stupid.

Sure that guy or gal is a Duke fan?

So you haven't read TDD recently? The vast majority of posters there are fine which includes many DBR posters. Further anyone can be forgiven the occasional "I'm frustrated so I'm going to say something really stupid now " post. But yeah there are a number of Duke fans at this moment saying stupid, occasionally expletive Laden things about Cut that defy all reason.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2016, 01:15 PM
So you haven't read TDD recently? The vast majority of posters there are fine which includes many DBR posters. Further anyone can be forgiven the occasional "I'm frustrated so I'm going to say something really stupid now " post. But yeah there are a number of Duke fans at this moment saying stupid, occasionally expletive Laden things about Cut that defy all reason.

Nothing against TDD, but I have not.

I have no problem with folks venting frustration, and no one is above criticism. Having said that, the idea that Cut is even remotely in hot water is simply absurd.

Just MHO (H borrowed from Sage).

jimsumner
11-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Most of the fire-somebody-rhetoric on other boards has focused on some of the assistant coaches.

At least what I've seen.

It's a tribute to the success of Cutcliffe's program that people now expect a bowl team and are disappointed at close losses to nationally-ranked opponents.

A heads-up. Because of the short week, Duke's media event is tomorrow instead of the usual Tuesday. So, hopefully, we can get some answers to some of these injury questions.

Another heads-up. Inasmuch as the Carolina game is the home finale, it is also senior day and the game notes should list the players being honored as seniors playing their final home game. This would include redshirt juniors who will graduate next spring and move on.

It's not a guarantee. I've seen players introduced as seniors who came back and guys not introduced as seniors who did not return. But it's usually an accurate guide.