PDA

View Full Version : Fill Wally Wade for Va Tech and against the Cheats

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Is there anything Duke could do to think outside the box and get Duke fans in the seats? With so many Duke alums across the country, it's tough.

I know Duke has tried several strategies to attract students, with limited results. But that has to be part of the solution. At the Augustana game, Coach K should tell everybody there to go to the football game. Maybe Duke could give free pizza and beer to anybody with a Duke ID (or free soft drinks for anybody underage). Advertise it in the Chronicle all week.

Also, something attracting the city of Durham could be the key. Give free pizza and beer/soft drinks to anybody if they're wearing Duke gear. Advertise it at NC Central and advertise it in Durham. Give them 1 food/drink on their way in only before the start, and they could still purchase concessions inside. The Duke gear catch could boost sales at the Duke bookstore before the game, esp. with hoops about to start with Duke #1. Somebody has the money to make something like the free pizza/beer/soft drinks happen, and I know Duke athletics does. Duke football deserves a full stadium of home supporters.

It's just embarrassing to have a half empty stadium, or more opposing fans than home.

I'm going to try to drive to Durham, and bring as many friends as I can.

It could be tougher vs the Cheats with the Thurs. evening game. Cheats can walk there, and paper classes don't meet on Fridays. But we can do this.

Any other ideas on how to fill Wally Wade?

devildeac
10-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Is there anything Duke could do to think outside the box and get Duke fans in the seats? With so many Duke alums across the country, it's tough.

I know Duke has tried several strategies to attract students, with limited results. But that has to be part of the solution. At the Augustana game, Coach K should tell everybody there to go to the football game. Maybe Duke could give free pizza and beer to anybody with a Duke ID (or free soft drinks for anybody underage). Advertise it in the Chronicle all week.

Also, something attracting the city of Durham could be the key. Give free pizza and beer/soft drinks to anybody if they're wearing Duke gear. Advertise it at NC Central and advertise it in Durham. Give them 1 food/drink on their way in only before the start, and they could still purchase concessions inside. The Duke gear catch could boost sales at the Duke bookstore before the game, esp. with hoops about to start with Duke #1. Somebody has the money to make something like the free pizza/beer/soft drinks happen, and I know Duke athletics does. Duke football deserves a full stadium of home supporters.

It's just embarrassing to have a half empty stadium, or more opposing fans than home.

I'm going to try to drive to Durham, and bring as many friends as I can.

It could be tougher vs the Cheats with the Thurs. evening game. Cheats can walk there, and paper classes don't meet on Fridays. But we can do this.

Any other ideas on how to fill Wally Wade?

Come join us at the TrueBlue'CueCrew tent on Saturday. Bring a friend or three, a beer or three for a tasting and a few bucks to contribute to our food jar. I'll promise good company, better food and great beers. PM me for more details.

Reilly
10-30-2016, 07:15 PM
We've beaten VT 2 of 3 and are a Ross Martin 40-yarder from that being 3 in a row.

Cut promised fall football celebrations -- and delivered.

We've got a hard working, likable team that showed @Lville it can play with anyone.

Great start time for Saturday -- run errands and get to the game. It'll be a blast.

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Or to help fill Wally Wade, maybe at the Augustana game give the mike to Cut, Daniel Jones, Shaun Wilson, Borders, Singleton, or any stud or senior Duke football players. Have K introduce them. Have them urge the crowd to attend the game, offer the free pizza/drinks, and promise a fun game. "If you the 6th man is there to help us, we're going to get this. Let's fill it up! The free beer and pizza are on him! (pointing at K)"

I don't know. Just thinking maybe if Cut and/or football players do the urging along with K it might be more effective?

jlear
10-30-2016, 08:23 PM
I usually ignore these threads about filling Wally Wade up because they usually have a lot of “the players deserve a full stadium” and “people should feel obligated to go”. Both of these statements fall flat for me, but yes I would love to see the stadium full for football, baseball, volleyball, etc. with people who want to be there.

Now to the question of how to attract more fans, which is a good one. I have given this thought over the years and I think one of the keys could be the band. We have a small band, but that doesn’t have to be the case. I can imagine if I won the lottery, I would want to endow numerous band scholarships for students from the local area. This would indoctrinate more local families into the Duke family and over time this could become quite significant. In the meantime, I would invite a high school band or two to come play with the DUMB for every game. In short, football isn’t the only entertainment on the field and the band could become a significant local draw and some may even become die hard football fans.

Side note: I have never been a part of any marching band, but I support musicianship and the hard work that student musicians do.

richardjackson199
11-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Come join us at the TrueBlue'CueCrew tent on Saturday. Bring a friend or three, a beer or three for a tasting and a few bucks to contribute to our food jar. I'll promise good company, better food and great beers. PM me for more details.

I plan to be at devildeac's awesome beer & tailgating tent before the game. I'm bringing 3 friends, including the Mrs. I hope to meet some of you there! Should hopefully be there very early afternoon (unless there are any new vigils after hoops Friday night, ie acute stress reactions preventing sleep and delaying our departure. Hopefully not!)

devildeac
11-02-2016, 06:29 PM
I plan to be at devildeac's awesome beer & tailgating tent before the game. I'm bringing 3 friends, including the Mrs. I hope to meet some of you there! Should hopefully be there very early afternoon (unless there are any new vigils after hoops Friday night, ie acute stress reactions preventing sleep and delaying our departure. Hopefully not!)

Looking forward to meeting/greeting/chatting/sipping with you and your group. I've warned the regular attendees there will be no snarling, growling, barking or biting. :rolleyes:

richardjackson199
11-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Looking forward to meeting/greeting/chatting/sipping with you and your group. I've warned the regular attendees there will be no snarling, growling, barking or biting. :rolleyes:

Growling no, but there will be growlers. Looking forward!

devildeac
11-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Growling no, but there will be growlers. Looking forward!

Most excellent. Can Saturday arrive a bit sooner?

kmspeaks
11-02-2016, 09:50 PM
One thing that has been done is offering discount tickets to public school teachers. My sister and I had planned on going for the Virginia game but they were sold out. I was very surprised to get an e-mail from my principal with the link to discounted tickets since my school is about 250 miles from WW. The original offer was for the UVA and VT games, but it has been expanded to include the game with the cheaters.