PDA

View Full Version : Virginia suspends Austin Nichols

BD80
10-30-2016, 04:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/virginia-suspends-standout-transfer-austin-nichols/

Just 2 weeks, but still.

OldPhiKap
10-30-2016, 04:29 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/virginia-suspends-standout-transfer-austin-nichols/

Just 2 weeks, but still.

I give Bennett a lot of credit for running a program of high expectations and no BS. At least, it looks that way to this semi-casual observer.

When the generation of K-Roy-Pitino-Boeheim-Larranaga retire, Bennett is poised to be the face of ACC coaching. I continue to be very impressed with his program and his conduct.

MChambers
10-30-2016, 04:36 PM
I give Bennett a lot of credit for running a program of high expectations and no BS. At least, it looks that way to this semi-casual observer.

When the generation of K-Roy-Pitino-Boeheim-Larranaga retire, Bennett is poised to be the face of ACC coaching. I continue to be very impressed with his program and his conduct.

Takes guts to suspend Nichols. Makes me respect Bennett even more.

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Agreed - there is nothing not to like about Tony Bennett. You may not like his team's brand of basketball, but it works. He runs his program the right way and is all class all the time. I did fellowship at UVA, so I'm biased. But I always cheer for them when they're not playing Duke.

duke4ever19
10-30-2016, 05:06 PM
Agreed - there is nothing not to like about Tony Bennett. You may not like his team's brand of basketball, but it works. He runs his program the right way and is all class all the time. I did fellowship at UVA, so I'm biased. But I always cheer for them when they're not playing Duke.

What if you hate show tunes and big band?

MChambers
10-30-2016, 05:27 PM

Or San Francisco.

devildeac
10-30-2016, 06:15 PM

Blasphemy!

:rolleyes:

devildeac
10-30-2016, 06:16 PM

Or San Francisco.

Blasphemy!

:rolleyes:

More blasphemy!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-30-2016, 06:25 PM
As a person who hates show tunes but loves blasphemy, I am in relative equipoise on the matter.

devildeac
10-30-2016, 06:31 PM
As a person who hates show tunes but loves blasphemy, I am in relative equipoise on the matter.

Maybe after a pint or two of this, you'll like my selections from The Music Man or The Sound of Music. :rolleyes:

Beer, it's not just for the Ymm, Beer thread anymore.

:o

Indoor66
10-31-2016, 06:50 AM

Yeah, but how many cinder blocks are you? With or without grout?

Let's get REAL here. :p:cool:

moonpie23
10-31-2016, 10:51 AM
Tony is a really good coach, and an upstanding leader.....UVA is fortunate to have him...

elvis14
10-31-2016, 12:01 PM

I have to admit your statement made me laugh a little: "There's nothing not to like about Tony Bennett. You may not like his teams brand of basketball". I give Bennett full credit for running a clean successful program and as a kid that grew up in Virginia, I really like what he's done there. He seems like a really good guy and a really good coach. BUT, I'll admit that the part of me that likes watching basketball for entertainment purposes doesn't always like watching UVa's games. There's nothing not to like about the basketball coach, well except the basketball :-)

Note this isn't meant to be harsh towards Bennett or rj199 in any way. Again, I have lots of respect for Bennett and how he runs the program.

Spanarkel
10-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Agree with multiple posters that Bennett is a superb coach. Several internet references to the suspension characterize it as applying to "a team scrimmage/exhibition game/opening game." Does anyone know if the suspension applies to UVa's regular team practices? Thanks.

English
10-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Agree with multiple posters that Bennett is a superb coach. Several internet references to the suspension characterize it as applying to "a team scrimmage/exhibition game/opening game." Does anyone know if the suspension applies to UVa's regular team practices? Thanks.

From what I've seen in the media and on social media this morning, it covers all team basketball activities for two weeks, including the team's first regular season game (vs. UNCG).

BD80
10-31-2016, 01:59 PM
I have to admit your statement made me laugh a little: "There's nothing not to like about Tony Bennett. You may not like his teams brand of basketball". I give Bennett full credit for running a clean successful program and as a kid that grew up in Virginia, I really like what he's done there. He seems like a really good guy and a really good coach. BUT, I'll admit that the part of me that likes watching basketball for entertainment purposes doesn't always like watching UVa's games. There's nothing not to like about the basketball coach, well except the basketball :-)

Note this isn't meant to be harsh towards Bennett or rj199 in any way. Again, I have lots of respect for Bennett and how he runs the program.

The hoos must struggle to put together even a short highlight reel for each season.

Spanarkel
10-31-2016, 02:11 PM
From what I've seen in the media and on social media this morning, it covers all team basketball activities for two weeks, including the team's first regular season game (vs. UNCG).

Many thanks!

MCFinARL
10-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Is that sort of like being amphibious?

elvis14
10-31-2016, 04:11 PM
The hoos must struggle to put together even a short highlight reel for each season.

LOL, it's not that bad. They win so much, I'm sure they can put together quite the highlight reel.

flyingdutchdevil
10-31-2016, 04:20 PM
LOL, it's not that bad. They win so much, I'm sure they can put together quite the highlight reel.

Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOrYE7Oa8c

Wahoo2000
10-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOrYE7Oa8c

Ouch. Last 3 regular season matchups with you guys were ALL heartbreakers - Only the tourney championship game went our way down the stretch.

Pointing to some other pace-related posts in this thread, I think as we're able to recruit better offensive talent (thanks mostly to Bennett getting guys like Joe Harris, Mike Scott, Justin Anderson, and Malcolm Brogdon sustained stints in the league), you'll see Bennett's aversion to pace decrease slightly. We'll probably always be in the bottom 20% of D1 in pace, but we should start to move away from being one of the 3 or 4 slowest teams year-to-year. That, and with the shot clock shortening, the chasm between "average" and "glacial" pace is becoming somewhat less obvious to the eye. Soon, UVA basketball will become more pleasing to those for whom "just winning" isn't pretty enough.

MChambers
10-31-2016, 04:57 PM
But KenPom currently has UVA as 351st in tempo, out of . . . 351 teams.

Wahoo2000
10-31-2016, 06:27 PM

Yeah - we were dead last in 15-16, and I think that's the basis of it. I'm just saying that I think 2-3 years from now as the more talented players we've recruited mature, we won't be in the mix for DEAD LAST anymore.

Pghdukie
10-31-2016, 06:57 PM
As Al Davis would say "Just win baby"

BD80
10-31-2016, 06:58 PM

You're saying Tony Bennett is lacking in tempo?

Heresy! The dude swings!

devildeac
10-31-2016, 09:35 PM
You're saying Tony Bennett is lacking in tempo?

Heresy! The dude swings!

Sounds more like a Quickstep to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYfF9VKMp4w

duketaylor
10-31-2016, 10:15 PM
"More blasphemy!!"

"What? All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!"

"Two with points, two flat ones."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI

OldPhiKap
10-31-2016, 10:20 PM
"More blasphemy!!"

"What? All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!"

"Two with points, two flat ones."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI

Any women here?

BLPOG
11-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Any women here?

Stoner fraud

devildeac
11-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Well, at least one "public Ivy" has taken some legitimate action...

Good for UVa/Tony Bennett.

jv001
11-01-2016, 05:49 PM

For those of you that don't like Tony's style of offense, you would have asked for your ticket money back in the Dean Smith Four Corners offense. Now that was like watching grass grow. Now that I think about it, Bennett does it better because he runs a clean program. Something that Smith didn't do. My favorite team list is: Duke, State and Virginia. After that it's anyone playing the Cheats. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Stoner fraud

Is that like Schadenfreude, but in Colorado?

BLPOG
11-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Is that like Schadenfreude, but in Colorado?

It's the cause of a big debate about stoner IDs.

BD80
11-01-2016, 08:49 PM
... the Dean Smith Four Corners offense. ...

Should we now refer to it as Deano's "Cut Corners" innovation?

OldPhiKap
11-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Should we now refer to it as Deano's "Cut Corners" innovation?

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on BD80 again."