PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up On Christmas Shipping

Devilwin
10-30-2016, 07:44 AM
Just wanted to give you a notice about your Christmas shipping days. For Fedex Ground/Home Delivery, you need to have your packages in our hands by December 17th for delivery by Christmas. Any later than that, you may have to use Fedex Express.
Also, this year Fedex Ground and Home Delivery are closed the 24th. The last few years we ran on Christmas Eve, but with the holiday falling on a weekend we get a three day weekend to recoup. And God knows we'll need it..lol

OldPhiKap
10-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Just wanted to give you a notice about your Christmas shipping days. For Fedex Ground/Home Delivery, you need to have your packages in our hands by December 17th for delivery by Christmas. Any later than that, you may have to use Fedex Express.
Also, this year Fedex Ground and Home Delivery are closed the 24th. The last few years we ran on Christmas Eve, but with the holiday falling on a weekend we get a three day weekend to recoup. And God knows we'll need it..lol

Thanks for the update.

Do I remember from last year that you were in the process of retiring from the business?

Devilwin
10-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the update.

Do I remember from last year that you were in the process of retiring from the business?

I will be gone by June. Can bankroll all my SS checks, so gonna hang on a bit longer.

OldPhiKap
10-30-2016, 03:25 PM
I will be gone by June. Can bankroll all my SS checks, so gonna hang on a bit longer.

Not trying to rush you out the door!

Good luck with your last Christmas season, and your updates last year were helpful to a gift-procrastinator such as myself.

BigWayne
10-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Shipping companies and online sellers are doing amazing things these days compared to just a few years ago. Sometimes we get spoiled by that. When it gets close to the holidays, the volume is so high, most companies can't keep up. So plan for a little buffer beyond what you usually expect and beyond what websites promise.

Devilwin
10-30-2016, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Shipping companies and online sellers are doing amazing things these days compared to just a few years ago. Sometimes we get spoiled by that. When it gets close to the holidays, the volume is so high, most companies can't keep up. So plan for a little buffer beyond what you usually expect and beyond what websites promise.
Some retailers give out erroneous info on shipping dates too. Won't call any names, but the big debacle of 2013 actually was caused in main because several shippers informed their customers we would be providing by Christmas service past our cut off dates. One in particular was telling people we would get ground packages from the west coast delivered by Christmas in eastern states as long as they were shipped by December 23d! That just ain't possible...Maybe Express, but not ground.
Just ship early, and be careful of what the shipper tells you..

Devilwin
11-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Just want to update you all on the Christmas deal at Fedex Ground/Home Delivery. Earlier, I told you that December 17th would be the last date to ship if you wanted packages to arrive before Christmas. Fact is, the date is December 16th.
Record setting volume is expected. We are going on six days a week, Ground worked yesterday (normally they do Monday through Friday, we do Tuesday through Saturday) and we start tomorrow. First time we've ever started before Thanksgiving! I have been training temp drivers all last week, they've been riding with me on my route and I have been teaching them methods and scanner use.
Some tips to ensure you get your stuff on time...
1. Please be sure your house number is visible from the street. This time of year, we have no time to look for you, so failing to do this could delay your shipment.

2. If you own dogs, please secure the animals. We don't take chances, even if you think your dog is friendly. We have lots of drivers bitten every year by "friendly" dogs. In fact, we had three bitten this week alone.

3. Understand that we may deliver your package to your garage or back door. Thieves are running rampant this time of year, and they drive through areas looking for unattended packages sitting on front porches. Our scanners will allow us to give the package's location ( garage, front door, back door, etc) so you can go online and check. We can't get signatures for everything,, God knows we'd never get done.

4.Most importantly, try to be patient. We are swamped this time of year, with more than twice the normal volume.
Christmas is never fun for us, but it's the nature of the beast. We chose this job, but honestly, it gets worse every year. We deliver stuff these days we never used to, stuff easily available at brick and mortar stores nearby (dog food, human food, diapers, etc) and with Christmas approaching it makes the days longer for us. We try hard to get your deliveries to you, but please give us a little extra time.
And remember this. Shippers often over promise what we can do, in order to gain your business. After it leaves their location, it's on us they think.
Last year we had drivers out til after nine o'clock making deliveries (a couple were met at the door by shotgun wielding irate people) and we don't want our people out that late. It's hard to find you in the dark.
That's it. Oh, our website says we are closed Christmas Eve this year, giving us the first three day Christmas holiday in years. We are not counting on it however..
Procrastinators will ensure we are delivering Christmas Eve. Been doing this since '88 and I will bet you dollars to doughnuts we have to work that day.
Hope each and every one of you have a great holiday this year. and think about us at Fedex, UPS, and the USPS out trying to make sure you have a good Christmas!
Oh. One final thing I nearly forgot..
If you are looking for toys to arrive, please understand that the larger toys like play houses, bikes, little electric jeeps and whatnot have illustrations of the contents on the boxes. We don't wrap this stuff, and we must leave them without a signature. If you have a secure location to leave the item so your child will not see it, please leave us a note and we will take care of it for you in the event you are not home when we arrive.
Thanks, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Doria
11-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Thank you so much for that detailed info. Every year, I vow not to procrastinate, and sure as the sun rises, every year, the best laid plans... Good luck, and drive carefully :)

Devilwin
11-20-2016, 06:39 PM
You're welcome Doria. You still got time. lol:cool:

Reilly
11-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Devilwin, thanks for the information, but this only gets us halfway home. What, pray tell, are we supposed to give as gifts?

Devilwin
11-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Devilwin, thanks for the information, but this only gets us halfway home. What, pray tell, are we supposed to give as gifts?

Not sure what you mean Reilly. Can you be more specific?:confused:

jimsumner
11-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Thanks Devilwin.

Devilwin
11-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Jim, you're welcome.
Reilly, going to go out on a limb here and guess you're talking about the children's gifts with illustrations on the boxes.

I suggest.
Keep checking online for the gift's delivery day, and try to have someone home.
Request in store pick up. The item will be delivered to the store, you can pick it up at your leisure.
Ask the shipper if they wrap gifts, many retailers offer this service.
Or, like I said before, leave us a note of where to leave the gift (many have the neighbors accept it) in a secure location.
Many this time of year have the shipments delivered to their place of business.

Devilwin
11-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Cyber Monday is here. :(
Which means Wednesday is gonna be a bear for us, they are saying. Today, our hub had 12500 Home Delivery packages. Tomorrow's volume is projected to be 14600. But..
Wednesday's numbers are expected to be around 20000. Biggest day of the season.
With 12500 packages, the average route increased by 35% from an average day. Some routes Wednesday will have over 250 stops...
Everyone please be careful and protect your info, and remember what I told you about your address. Normally, we will have 100-200 packages every day brought back for bad addresses or cannot locate situations. This time of year that number goes up dramatically. So please make sure your number is visible, and your package can be left in a secure location.
Thanks, and come on December 25th!!

DukieInKansas
11-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Not sure what you mean Reilly. Can you be more specific?:confused:

I think he just wants you to tell him what to buy for each person on his list. :D

Devilwin
11-28-2016, 06:50 PM
I think he just wants you to tell him what to buy for each person on his list. :D

Something small..lol:cool:

Devilwin
12-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Thought I better let everyone know that as of right now, volume is exceeding capacity. Better get on with it. Cyber Monday gave us a record setting week, and our folks have been burning the late night oil to get things delivered. Don't procrastinate what ever you do. And as an added bonus, many of our 'Smartpost" shipments (packages that the USPS takes the last mile) are coming back to us for delivery. Just making an already desperate situation much worse..:(

Devilwin
12-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Last day for using FEDEX GROUND by Christmas ends Friday. After that, there is no by Christmas guarantee.