PDA

View Full Version : Parking?

Bike4Fun
10-29-2016, 01:45 PM
Couldn't make the first game, but my parking will be in the new garage. For attendees, how was that?

DU82
10-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Couldn't make the first game, but my parking will be in the new garage. For attendees, how was that?

Easy in and out. You must enter from 751 (either direction.) The bottom levels of the deck aren't open yet, but it's level two that's the ground level for walking to Cameron. Plenty of spaces. Don't know how it'll be on weeknights once the business school and others park there during the day. For egress, it is a right-out only (towards 15-501). That's the same restriction as for the surface lot before it was closed to build the deck, and things kept flowing once on the exit ramp. Plenty of operations people there to direct traffic.

The deck itself is one of the better ones, fairly wide aisles and well lit. No problems there.

jimsumner
10-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Bring good walking shoes.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Bring good walking shoes.
It's nowhere near as far as Duke University Road lot #2 is..... So glad to be in the Chem lot again this year.

jimsumner
10-29-2016, 03:19 PM
It's nowhere near as far as Duke University Road lot #2 is.... So glad to be in the Chem lot again this year.

Try lugging a laptop both ways.

Newton_14
10-29-2016, 03:48 PM
I knew Duke would do this so not surprised. (Making the new 751 Parking Deck ID Only). That lot was never full for basketball games when it was one level, and now it will super empty with all the extra levels. They could have at least made the bottom 2 or 3 levels ID only and made the rest General Public.

Between ticket prices and parking, Duke continues to send the message to local fans that aren't season ticket holders that we are not wanted at the games.

They have also cracked down like crazy with the Nazi/Gestapo Police on anyone trying to sneak into the Duke Falculty Lot (Another lot that's a good 40% empty for Hoops Games) and the Washington Duke. Impossible to get into either place unless you want to get there 4+hours before tip.

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Easy in and out. You must enter from 751 (either direction.) The bottom levels of the deck aren't open yet, but it's level two that's the ground level for walking to Cameron. Plenty of spaces. Don't know how it'll be on weeknights once the business school and others park there during the day. For egress, it is a right-out only (towards 15-501). That's the same restriction as for the surface lot before it was closed to build the deck, and things kept flowing once on the exit ramp. Plenty of operations people there to direct traffic.

The deck itself is one of the better ones, fairly wide aisles and well lit. No problems there.

OK, so now I'm more upset than I was last time I posted in this thread. I took my daughter and her best friend to the VaTech game Saturday. I had been parking in the Bryan Center Parking Deck, but this time I wanted to save that $12, so I pulled into an open slot at the Jogging Trail dirt lot a et the bottom of the hill on 751. I have parked there many times over the years for both FB and BB games; it has always been open to general public, and always free. Not very big, but if you get there early enough you can usually find an open slot there or on the side of the very wide entrance. I actually parked on the side of the entrance right behind an unmarked cop car with the plain clothes cop standing right beside it. Dude watched me park, watched me sit there a minute while I and the girls gathered everything we were taking to the game, watched me get out of the car and start our walk, and then says "Hey, are you guys going to the FB game?" Me: Yep. Him: "You can't park here for games" I'm like, "wow! when did they start that?" Him: "This weekend. This lot is no longer to be parked in for ball games"

Great! Thanks Duke! You are so good to us common fans! You build this huge parking deck on 751 and make it Iron Duke only which means it will be, oh, I'm guessing 70% empty during Men's Basketball Games, seeing as how when it was just a surface lot, it was always about 30-35% empty during Men's Basketball games. Also, the Faculty lot at the Washington Duke is now also much bigger than it used to be and it too is about 30% empty during FB games and even worse than that for Basketball Games.

It makes no sense at all to a sane person, but like with the new ticket prices (Men's Basketball ACC Games: Topnotch seats: $120ea, Nosebleed/rafter seats: $85ea) Duke wants as much of our money is possible. They have backed the general public into a corner... either park in one our pay lots and walk a half a mile to the Stadium, or park on the side of the road in an unlit, unsafe position and walk 1+ miles to the Stadium. Thanks for playing! :mad:

For a school that desperately needs more fannies in the seats at Football Games, and is now seeing more and more empty seats in Cameron during Men's Basketball Games, they sure aren't making any effort to improve attendance in either sport...

But hey, the new Duke Store in the new Ticket Office Building is super nice! (That's actually not sarcasm. It is very nice and replaces the little small store that was in the corner of Card Gym. Also gives you a place to stay warm on those frigid nights when you are waiting for the doors to Cameron to open up. Though with the new ticket prices I will be cozy and warm in my recliner during games more often than I will actually be at the game)

devildeac
11-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Try lugging a laptop both ways.

Bet our two coolers weigh more than your laptop :p .

And I carry them both myself. Mrs. dd will carry a folding chair and our stadium seats and cushions-no food and/or beverages for her walking trip! :o

UrinalCake
11-07-2016, 10:38 PM
^ the great irony of the parking situation is that for most basketball games, the lot right in front of Cameron has tons of empty spots. Yet they expect everybody to pay high prices and walk close to a mile. At the very least they should have better buses to get people from the Circuit Drive lots where they try to direct everyone (where you have to pay $10).

As for football games, I stopped going years ago when they wouldn't let me in with some food that I had packed for my two year-old daughter. I explained to the security at the gate that she has severe food allergies and they said I would have to dump out everything I had brought into a trash can and then buy food from the concession stands inside. I told them that she would literally die if I did this and they didn't care. So no more football games for us.

freshmanjs
11-07-2016, 10:39 PM
OK, so now I'm more upset than I was last time I posted in this thread. I took my daughter and her best friend to the VaTech game Saturday. I had been parking in the Bryan Center Parking Deck, but this time I wanted to save that $12, so I pulled into an open slot at the Jogging Trail dirt lot a et the bottom of the hill on 751. I have parked there many times over the years for both FB and BB games; it has always been open to general public, and always free. Not very big, but if you get there early enough you can usually find an open slot there or on the side of the very wide entrance. I actually parked on the side of the entrance right behind an unmarked cop car with the plain clothes cop standing right beside it. Dude watched me park, watched me sit there a minute while I and the girls gathered everything we were taking to the game, watched me get out of the car and start our walk, and then says "Hey, are you guys going to the FB game?" Me: Yep. Him: "You can't park here for games" I'm like, "wow! when did they start that?" Him: "This weekend. This lot is no longer to be parked in for ball games"

Great! Thanks Duke! You are so good to us common fans! You build this huge parking deck on 751 and make it Iron Duke only which means it will be, oh, I'm guessing 70% empty during Men's Basketball Games, seeing as how when it was just a surface lot, it was always about 30-35% empty during Men's Basketball games. Also, the Faculty lot at the Washington Duke is now also much bigger than it used to be and it too is about 30% empty during FB games and even worse than that for Basketball Games.

It makes no sense at all to a sane person, but like with the new ticket prices (Men's Basketball ACC Games: Topnotch seats: $120ea, Nosebleed/rafter seats: $85ea) Duke wants as much of our money is possible. They have backed the general public into a corner... either park in one our pay lots and walk a half a mile to the Stadium, or park on the side of the road in an unlit, unsafe position and walk 1+ miles to the Stadium. Thanks for playing! :mad:

For a school that desperately needs more fannies in the seats at Football Games, and is now seeing more and more empty seats in Cameron during Men's Basketball Games, they sure aren't making any effort to improve attendance in either sport...

But hey, the new Duke Store in the new Ticket Office Building is super nice! (That's actually not sarcasm. It is very nice and replaces the little small store that was in the corner of Card Gym. Also gives you a place to stay warm on those frigid nights when you are waiting for the doors to Cameron to open up. Though with the new ticket prices I will be cozy and warm in my recliner during games more often than I will actually be at the game)

As a level 1 Iron Duke who has to pay for parking, I would really struggle to understand why parking would be free for non Iron Duke fans.

Newton_14
11-07-2016, 10:46 PM
As a level 1 Iron Duke who has to pay for parking, I would really struggle to understand why parking would be free for non Iron Duke fans.
I am also an Iron Duke and have been for years. With ticket prices as high as they are, I really struggle to understand why Duke also needs the extra $10-$12 just to park. Their ticket prices are so out of line with NC State and UNC its not even funny. I know we are a private school and can do what we want with ticket prices, and parking for that matter, but it doesn't make it right.

Also, it still does not address why Duke will not let non-season ticket holding fans like myself, as well as non-id general public to park in lots close to the stadium that are woefully short of capacity every single game. That 751 lot is like a family of 3 building a 20,000 square foot home with a 10 Car garage. (In terms of gameday parking, not daytime when I assume it will house lots of employee cars.)
Edit: Meant to state I would be more than happy to pay the $10 bucks to park in the new 751 parking deck. It is by far the best lot for me as I get on 15-501 to go home.

indy1duke
11-08-2016, 06:42 AM
The need to maximize revenue at the expense of sports fans occurs not just at Duke. We spent the last two weekends attending Ohio State football games and paying $20 to enter the West Campus parking lots which are so far away one has to ride a bus to get close enough for a 20 minute walk to the game. College athletics is a big time business. It has changed greatly in the past 50 years and not always for the better.

UrinalCake
11-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Has anyone ever tried to take an Uber to the game? They could pick you up anywhere nearby, maybe one of the shops along Erwin street, and probably get as close as Towerview Road to drop you off. Pickup after the game would be tricky, but if you waited until the crowds died down then I think it could work.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Rank and file Iron Dukes are getting screwed even worse than the general public. It would be far more economical to take a cab there and back from games than to pay an Iron Duke fee annually. There's just no perk for being a contributor unless you can give enough to have a portion of the stadium named after you. I'm wondering more every year why we write those
checks.
Love, Ima

jimsumner
11-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Rank and file Iron Dukes are getting screwed even worse than the general public. It would be far more economical to take a cab there and back from games than to pay an Iron Duke fee annually. There's just no perk for being a contributor unless you can give enough to have a portion of the stadium named after you. I'm wondering more every year why we write those
checks.
Love, Ima

She's not joking about "a portion of the stadium." Naming rights have been sold for gates, squares, darn near everything that isn't tied down. I leave Wade through the Bostock Gate.

Give enough and we can have the Ima Facultywyfe elevator. Or water fountain.

Last week the media were invited to the opening of the Johnson Family Team Store on Tribull Plaza, near the Scott Family Athletics Performance Center.

I assume they'll eventually get around to naming different shelves in the store.

Duke is hardly alone in this. It's the world we live in, the Verizon halftime scoreboard world.

As an aside, naming rights for the Sumner media chair are available for a reasonable donation.

I'm a cheap date. :)

Pghdukie
11-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Or maybe the name of a Toner on the top of your lab top. YOU may be a trend setter Mr.Sumner. If PGA caddies can ask for money to wear sponsored bibs, you can be subsidized for the use of your computer ! Just saying !

weezie
11-08-2016, 02:52 PM
...There's just no perk for being a contributor unless you can give enough to have a portion of the stadium named after you. I'm wondering more every year why we write those
checks.
Love, Ima

Amen, Ima. I've been fairly disappointed by just about everything to do with the IDs this year. It's a precipitous decline. :(

-jk
11-08-2016, 05:39 PM
She's not joking about "a portion of the stadium." Naming rights have been sold for gates, squares, darn near everything that isn't tied down. I leave Wade through the Bostock Gate.

Give enough and we can have the Ima Facultywyfe elevator. Or water fountain.

Last week the media were invited to the opening of the Johnson Family Team Store on Tribull Plaza, near the Scott Family Athletics Performance Center.

I assume they'll eventually get around to naming different shelves in the store.

Duke is hardly alone in this. It's the world we live in, the Verizon halftime scoreboard world.

As an aside, naming rights for the Sumner media chair are available for a reasonable donation.

I'm a cheap date. :)

We need someone to pony up for the Bob Harris Crow's Nest!

-jk