PDA

View Full Version : Best Duke Players in the NBA Right Now

Dukehky
10-27-2016, 10:23 PM
With the NBA season just getting underway, I started thinking about who the best Duke players in the NBA are right now. This is not an exercise in who you would pick if you were starting a franchise, or who would be good since they are younger, just who are the best players in the league right now.

Kyrie
JJ
Jabari
Okafor
Dunleavy
Luol Deng
Rodney Hood
Mason Plumlee
Jusitise
Gerald
Ingram
McRoberts
Austin
Miles
Lance
Seth
Kyle
Tyus
Marshall

That's just kind of a starting point. Obviously, after a few months, Ingram should shoot up that list because that kid is dirty. Just may be a fun exercise.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-28-2016, 02:41 AM
I would move Winslow way up your list and Dunleavy has had a nice career, but is definitely in the twilight at this point.

NSDukeFan
10-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Rodney Hood might have to be third right now, followed by Mason.

luburch
10-28-2016, 06:59 AM
I would move Hood up a little bit and Dunleavy down some, but no quibbles other than that. Now, if Justise develop's his shot..

gurufrisbee
10-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Deng should move up.

Ichabod Drain
10-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Rodney Hood might have to be third right now, followed by Mason.

Rodney Hood might be second. I think he's going to have a big time year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPxJEUMWR3Y

DukieInBrasil
10-28-2016, 08:55 AM
With the NBA season just getting underway, I started thinking about who the best Duke players in the NBA are right now. This is not an exercise in who you would pick if you were starting a franchise, or who would be good since they are younger, just who are the best players in the league right now.

Kyrie
JJ
Jabari
Rodney Hood
Okafor
Luol Deng
Mason Plumlee
Jusitise
Ingram
Gerald
Lance
Dunleavy
Austin
Miles
Seth
Kyle
Tyus
McRoberts
Marshall

That's just kind of a starting point. Obviously, after a few months, Ingram should shoot up that list because that kid is dirty. Just may be a fun exercise.

My thoughts on the ordering. McRoberts is a nice glue-ish guy, but he moved down b/c he's not very productive. Austin moved up b/c he seems to really have found a place in the NBA as a quality backup PG/SG. Lance moved up b/c he has played his way into being highly valued and has a solid 3pt shot. Dunleavy moved down, b/c his most productive days are behind him. Rodney moved up b/c he's locked in a starting role and playing well, and leap-frogged Okakfor b/c the 76ers are not going to use him in a way that allows him to show what his value.

nmduke2001
10-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Kyrie
JJ
Jabari
Rodney Hood
Mason Plumlee
Justise
Luol Deng
Okafor

Dukehky
10-29-2016, 11:21 AM
I think I would move Rodney up above Dunleavy now actually. I would still keep the wiley veterans up near the top for right now though. McRoberts was probably where I have him listed before last year's injury, but he hasn't been useful for a while, he should probably go above Tyus.

Good points, all.

I thought I was breaking ground when I said JJ was number 2, appreciate the validation folks. I don't watch First Take or First Fake (Undisputed) so my Hot Take Machine is a little out of fuel.

DukieInBrasil
10-29-2016, 11:41 AM
I think I would move Rodney up above Dunleavy now actually. I would still keep the wiley veterans up near the top for right now though. McRoberts was probably where I have him listed before last year's injury, but he hasn't been useful for a while, he should probably go above Tyus.

Good points, all.

I thought I was breaking ground when I said JJ was number 2, appreciate the validation folks. I don't watch First Take or First Fake (Undisputed) so my Hot Take Machine is a little out of fuel.

JJ as #2 is a solid choice based on his career totals, current usage & value, as well as the fact that the Clips go out of their way to get him going early indicating that he is a focus for their team. It's not like he's productive as an afterthought, he's a primary option.

JNort
10-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Kyrie
JJ
Jabari
Okafor
Dunleavy
Luol Deng
Rodney Hood
Mason Plumlee
Jusitise
Gerald
Ingram
McRoberts
Austin
Miles
Lance
Seth
Kyle
Tyus
Marshall

So what is the basis of the list? Accomplishments + current relevance?

My list would look much different if someone just said to me "name the best Duke guys in the NBA currently".

Kyrie
Jabari
Oak
Hood
JJ
Mason
Justise
Ingram
Henderson
Rivers
McBob
Seth
Miles
Lance
Tyus
Kyle
Marshall

Li_Duke
10-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Kyrie
JJ - put him on any team but Golden State right now, and they would find a way to start him
Luol Deng - older now, but for this year, he is still third best
Jabari - could be #2 by season end
Justise - his defense is that good
Rodney Hood - plus starter
Dunleavy - savvy vet who will play in crunch time for Cleveland in playoffs if healthy
Mason Plumlee - finally being utilized correctly
Gerald - borderline starter
Seth - possibly Dallas's best bench player
Lance - solid 3 and D player
Okafor - needs ball, need floor spacers, needs another big defender next to him. And I'm believer of him.
Miles - back-up center whose defense makes him a good fit with Milwaukee's starters
Austin - proven back-up, but guys above him are better
Kyle - back of OKC bench, but wouldn't you take senior Kyle + several years of NBA experience over last year's Ingram?
Tyus - best player in a summer league that Ingram played in, so probably better right now. Still, he is a 3rd string PG on a team that might not make playoffs.
Ingram - he will be higher as the year goes on, but this is where he falls now.
McRoberts - health has destroyed his game, would have been much higher a few years ago.
Marshall