PDA

View Full Version : Wegmans Coming to Raleigh

devildeac
10-27-2016, 11:48 AM
What's so good about this announcement ;) ? I've never been in one but have heard good things. Thoughts?

heyman25
10-27-2016, 05:05 PM
What's so good about this announcement ;) ? I've never been in one but have heard good things. Thoughts?Best supermarket for service and quality I have ever been to.It is based in Rochester NY my parents hometown. It is better than the best Whole Foods you have ever been to.

devildeac
10-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Best supermarket for service and quality I have ever been to.It is based in Rochester NY my parents hometown. It is better than the best Whole Foods you have ever been to.

Thanks! Then it appears that Harris Teeter/Kroger/Food Lion will need to elevate their games.

DU82
10-27-2016, 06:53 PM
They have also announced stores in Cary and Chapel Hill (on 15-501 where Performance Auto is; they're relocating to Southpoint.)

They are also looking in Mecklenburg County, but haven't announced a site; they will only announce one once they've confirmed and signed contracts.

Wegman's stores are about twice the size of a typical HT or Kroger. They include extensive prepared foods, a bakery and other amenities that make Wegman's the top rated grocer in the country.

diablesseblu
10-27-2016, 07:30 PM
I've never been in a Wegman's, but am looking forward to it. My daughter came to know Danny Wegman, the CEO, when she worked in the NYC high end restaurant business. She has immense respect for him and the company.

From an "Atlantic" article re the company.....

"Executives say their most important resource is their workers.

Our employees are our number one asset, period," said Kevin Stickles, the company's vice-president for human resources. "The first question you ask is: 'Is this the best thing for the employee?' That's a totally different model."

Yet the company is profitable. Its prices are low. And it is lauded for exemplary customer service.

"When you think about employees first, the bottom line is better," Stickles argued. "We want our employees to extend the brand to our customers."

The Wegmans model is simple. A happy, knowledgeable and superbly trained employee creates a better experience for customers. Extraordinary service builds tremendous loyalty."

Will be interesting to see how their entry into the NC market affects Whole Foods and Fresh Market.

devildeac
10-27-2016, 07:31 PM
They have also announced stores in Cary and Chapel Hill (on 15-501 where Performance Auto is; they're relocating to Southpoint.)

They are also looking in Mecklenburg County, but haven't announced a site; they will only announce one once they've confirmed and signed contracts.

Wegman's stores are about twice the size of a typical HT or Kroger. They include extensive prepared foods, a bakery and other amenities that make Wegman's the top rated grocer in the country.

I saw the announcement about Cary and chappaheeya, too. I hope Mrs. dd doesn't learn this as she may never cook again :p .

weezie
10-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Wegmans is heaven on earth! I want to live in Wegmans. Just walking through the door makes me relax. Aahhhh, Wegmans, I love you.

alteran
10-28-2016, 06:42 AM
What's so good about this announcement ;) ? I've never been in one but have heard good things. Thoughts?

My wife is from upstate New York.

Imagine a Harris Teeter doubled in size, with about half a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods thrown in, and with the prepared foods section of a Whole Foods thrown in but also so big that it had to be separate into genres.

Oh, and all of this competitive in price.

Bostondevil
10-28-2016, 08:09 AM
The parking lot of the only Wegman's near me is a nightmare. Traffic backs up onto the already way too busy Route 9. They often have to have a traffic cop there, particularly on the weekends. I've never been. I'd say "that place is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore" but it's probably only so crowded that I never go there.

kmspeaks
10-29-2016, 08:32 PM
My parents, empty-nesters in their mid 50's, call Wegmans trips their date nights. They eat dinner and have a drink at the small bar located between the deli and seafood counter and then do the grocery shopping.

fidel
10-30-2016, 04:32 PM
I grew up in Rochester. My parents would take out-of-towners to Wegmans like New York City folks take them to the Statue of Liberty.

True story.

Reilly
10-30-2016, 07:23 PM
The cheese aisle is too big. It's all a bit overwhelming.

devildeac
10-30-2016, 10:09 PM
The cheese aisle is too big. It's all a bit overwhelming.

If they have cheese curds, either from Wisconsin and/or Ashe County, NC, it'll all be worthwhile. ;)

DukieInKansas
10-31-2016, 12:19 PM
The one I've gone to in PA has a humus bar. :D I'm still looking for a recipe for the Lime Basil Humus they had one of the times I was there. Even the sister that doesn't like humus liked that one.

Saw someone in a Target parking lot in Kansas with Wegman's bags. We visited for a bit because of the bags.