PDA

View Full Version : MBB vs Virginia State Friday28th at 7:00

Devilwin
10-26-2016, 03:24 PM
The exhibition game vs Va State will be on ESPN3 at 7 pm Friday. Available on the "stick" from Amazon..:)

ChillinDuke
10-26-2016, 03:40 PM
The exhibition game vs Va State will be on ESPN3 at 7 pm Friday. Available on the "stick" from Amazon..:)

How exactly does one stream on the stick? Is it blatantly apparent? My dad has one and will almost definitely want to stream. But I don't know how to walk him through.

- Chillin

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Personally, I will be streaming on my dongle.

mgtr
10-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Is that legal in North Carolina?

Ichabod Drain
10-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Awesome, an actual game thread!

I'll be watching on my Chromecast.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Awesome, an actual game thread!

I'll be watching on my Chromecast.

That's the word I was looking for!

Devilwin
10-26-2016, 06:30 PM
How exactly does one stream on the stick? Is it blatantly apparent? My dad has one and will almost definitely want to stream. But I don't know how to walk him through.

- Chillin

Download the ESPN app. It's on there.

jimsumner
10-26-2016, 06:35 PM
Is that legal in North Carolina?

The courts have not yet decided.

mattman91
10-27-2016, 04:09 PM
C'mon guys, I know it is just an exhibition game, but no thread yet?

How can we watch this from home? The last few years both exhibition games were streamed at goduke.com with a $10 subscription. Same deal this year?

flyingdutchdevil
10-27-2016, 04:10 PM

How can we watch this from home? The last few years both exhibition games were streamed at goduke.com with a $10 subscription. Same deal this year?

It's on Watch ESPN. Yes, even ESPN now owns CTC and our pregames...

mattman91
10-27-2016, 04:12 PM
It's on Watch ESPN. Yes, even ESPN now owns CTC and our pregames...

Excellent!

mattman91
10-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Should be interesting to see the lineup combinations without Tatum and Giles.

Does playing in exhibition games disqualify a player from using a red shirt?

brevity
10-27-2016, 04:24 PM

It's DBR. Of course there's a thread.
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38653

That thread even answers your question at a local level. Someone in your town may let you watch it with him, if you don't mind him streaming it on his dongle.

Ichabod Drain
10-27-2016, 04:24 PM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38653-MBB-vs-Virginia-State-Friday28th-at-7-00

ETA: Brevity post skills too good

devildeac
10-27-2016, 04:26 PM

That thread even answers your question at a local level. Someone in your town may let you watch it with him, if you don't mind him streaming it on his dongle.

Any relation?

http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/ring-of-dingle.html

:o

mattman91
10-27-2016, 04:32 PM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38653-MBB-vs-Virginia-State-Friday28th-at-7-00

ETA: Brevity post skills too good

Ahhh...surprised it fell to page 2 - didn't even notice it.

I'll pass on the mountain devil dongle streaming.

CDu
10-27-2016, 11:26 PM

Just, whatever you do, don't cross the streams.

Karl Beem
10-28-2016, 06:39 AM
The game is not listed on WatchESPN. Is it not generally available?

jimrowe0
10-28-2016, 08:18 AM

I checked last night and found it on WatchESPN. It will be on ESPN 3 on WatchESPN.

Ichabod Drain
10-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Should be interesting to see the lineup combinations without Tatum and Giles.

Does playing in exhibition games disqualify a player from using a red shirt?

No, it does not. Do we think anyone is planning on red shirting this year?

hallcity
10-28-2016, 10:01 AM
There are some tickets available (https://t.co/n6AUjT2REg). Get out and see the game in person.

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Nothing, other than seeing Duke basketball back in action.

Basically a useless game from a fan perspective. Great for the team and Coach K to gel and find some interesting line ups.

Go Duke!

UrinalCake
10-28-2016, 10:55 AM

There was talk that jack white might redshirt. Not sure if that is still in play. It would kind of make sense that maybe he could play in place of Tatum for the exhibition games and not burn his redshirt, but my guess is that those minutes instead go to Javin.

My predicted starting lineup is that K stays big and goes with the veterans: Grayson, Luke, Matt, Amile, and Bolden. Frank is first off the bench, though it wouldn't shock me to see him start in place of Luke.

Ichabod Drain
10-28-2016, 11:02 AM
There was talk that jack white might redshirt. Not sure if that is still in play. It would kind of make sense that maybe he could play in place of Tatum for the exhibition games and not burn his redshirt, but my guess is that those minutes instead go to Javin.

My predicted starting lineup is that K stays big and goes with the veterans: Grayson, Luke, Matt, Amile, and Bolden. Frank is first off the bench, though it wouldn't shock me to see him start in place of Luke.

It was before he got to Duke but Jack White did an interview (can't remember where) after committing to Duke in which he said he was coming to play and wasn't even considering redshirting. Obviously things can change but that was his statement early on.

Troublemaker
10-28-2016, 11:08 AM

It should be the only game listed at this link: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/#sport/basketball/type/upcoming/channel/accextra/

whereinthehellami
10-28-2016, 01:25 PM
I agree that you can't take much from exhibition/early season games but I'l be very curious to see where the confidence levels for Chase and Javin are. Will Chase in particular look confident? There is no reason he can't score around the hoop, play decent D, and grab some boards. This is the kind of game in which he can show that. And from Javin I'll be looking to see if he can not get lost on D and rebound. If he can carve out a niche as a 6-8ish lockdown defender/rebounder, could he could get a situational 10-15 minutes in some more important games?

whereinthehellami
10-28-2016, 01:28 PM
I meant to add, that I hope that Luke gets the early starts this year. It sounds like Frank is coming on strong but all the reports are that Luke has had a very productive summer and I think he has earned it until/If Frank passes him by.

Olympic Fan
10-28-2016, 03:31 PM
I am just getting ready to head over to Cameron.

Contrary to flyingdutchdevil, there is a lot we can learn from this game, even with Giles and Tatum out.

My first focus will be on how well Grayson plays. He was off his game in the CTC scrimmage. That can happen to anybody -- plus he was defended by Matt. I expect and hope to see him bounce back, but if he struggles again, I would have some (small) measure of concern.

I also want to see who does and doesn't play. A player who plays in an exhibition cannot be redshirted (unless he has an injury, then he can apply for hardship).

I've heard whispers that Vrankovic might be looking at a redshirt. Tonight will tell.

Agree that Jack White is also possible, but he did say he wasn't planning to redshirt.

I obviously want to see as much of Bolden and Jackson as possible. It's not a lock, but it's possible that both are one-and-done. I'm going to enjoy them while they're here -- one year, two years or four years.

mattman91
10-28-2016, 03:59 PM

Contrary to flyingdutchdevil, there is a lot we can learn from this game, even with Giles and Tatum out.

My first focus will be on how well Grayson plays. He was off his game in the CTC scrimmage. That can happen to anybody -- plus he was defended by Matt. I expect and hope to see him bounce back, but if he struggles again, I would have some (small) measure of concern.

I also want to see who does and doesn't play. A player who plays in an exhibition cannot be redshirted (unless he has an injury, then he can apply for hardship).

I've heard whispers that Vrankovic might be looking at a redshirt. Tonight will tell.

Agree that Jack White is also possible, but he did say he wasn't planning to redshirt.

I obviously want to see as much of Bolden and Jackson as possible. It's not a lock, but it's possible that both are one-and-done. I'm going to enjoy them while they're here -- one year, two years or four years.

Conflicting info...

who is right?

Ichabod Drain
10-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Conflicting info...

who is right?

Turns out we both are right and wrong. From reading up on it players in their first academic year are allowed to play in exhibition games without costing them their eligibility. All other classes use their year of eligibility if they step on the court for an exhibition game.

So if Jack White plays tonight he could still redshirt. If Vrank plays tonight, he cannot (barring injury).

DukieInBrasil
10-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Conflicting info...

who is right?

Wiki says "However, in a redshirt year, student athletes may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and dress for play but may not compete in games", which is vague re: exhibition games.
This non-ncaa site says: "Only eligible freshmen can participate in exhibition games, and then redshirt that season - upper classmen can NOT. Per NCAA rules, Notre Dame's Tim Abromaitus should have forfeited a season of eligibility when he played in exhibition games his sophomore year before sitting out the season. Following an appeal, The NCAA granted him an exception, but did give him a 4-game suspension." - https://forum.orusports.com/index.php?/topic/8535-eligibility-for-exhibition-games/

So, if either are intent on redshirting this year, it appears that White could play in the exhibition games and not violate those conditions, while Vrank (the Tank) could not, unless he subsequently suffered an injury (which, of course, we all hope he does not).

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2016, 04:32 PM

I have to completely disagree with you on Grayson. We shouldn't care if Grayson plays poorly. He's a proven commodity. A poor game against a terrible team shouldn't trump what we've seen over the last 2 years. I will have no concern if Grayson plays poorly.

I also disagree with you on Bolden and Jackson. My hypothesis? One of the two will look so good during this game that he'll be put on a pedestal, creating hypotheses about leading the team in scoring, rebounding, etc.

I've learned a lot about college basketball over the years, but the two that standout the most are fans will complain about reffing no matter what the score or circumstance and CTC/Exhibitions are utterly meaningless in forecasting what is to come.

Ichabod Drain
10-28-2016, 04:39 PM
I also disagree with you on Bolden and Jackson. My hypothesis? One of the two will look so good during this game that he'll be put on a pedestal, creating hypotheses about leading the team in scoring, rebounding, etc.

If there's talk of Frank Jackson leading us in rebounding after this game I will be very impressed. ;)

Kedsy
10-28-2016, 04:47 PM
If he can carve out a niche as a 6-8ish lockdown defender/rebounder, could he could get a situational 10-15 minutes in some more important games?

If Jayson and Harry are both sidelined, then Javin might be the 8th man. If we're at full strength, then to play 10 or 15 minutes in a non-blowout he'd have to leapfrog both Marques and Chase. Possible? I guess. Probable? No. Very, very long odds.

As loaded as we are, I'd be very surprised if Javin played more than a few minutes in an important game (non-blowout) this season while our full roster is healthy and available to play. I'll be mildly surprised if he plays at all this season in an important non-blowout.

Scorp4me
10-28-2016, 05:27 PM
As per usual there is no mention of Sean Obi even in the DBR's official write up. Is he even with the team anymore or does everyone just not care about him? I'm still hopeful he proves to be a valuable player in the future.

Kedsy
10-28-2016, 05:31 PM
As per usual there is no mention of Sean Obi even in the DBR's official write up. Is he even with the team anymore or does everyone just not care about him? I'm still hopeful he proves to be a valuable player in the future.

Bad knees?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Bad knees?

Might be time for Obi to make an appearance in the Sticky.

mattman91
10-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Can't bust out the Zima until the chat link is posted.

-jk
10-28-2016, 06:48 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

GGLC
10-28-2016, 07:40 PM
I missed the first few minutes; why hasn't Matt been playing?

MChambers
10-28-2016, 07:55 PM
I missed the first few minutes; why hasn't Matt been playing?
I've been wondering the same thing. The announcers haven't even noticed.

DU82
10-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Matt went out with some injury about three minutes in and hasn't played since. Likely minor and is out only as a precaution. Couldn't tell what it was.

devilnfla
10-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Matt went out with some injury about three minutes in and hasn't played since. Likely minor and is out only as a precaution. Couldn't tell what it was.

Hearing he has an upset stomach.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Our floor is so beautiful

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Jeter's handles are confounding.

MChambers
10-28-2016, 08:25 PM
He really can't finish through contact at this point. I'm rooting for him, but he's struggling.

jipops
10-28-2016, 08:29 PM
He really can't finish through contact at this point. I'm rooting for him, but he's struggling.

Jeter is a year away from being any sort of significant contributer. I would not count on him doing much this season. Bolden, Jefferson, and (hopefully) Giles are far more advanced.

arnie
10-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Jeter is a year away from being any sort of significant contributer. I would not count on him doing much this season. Bolden, Jefferson, and (hopefully) Giles are far more advanced.

Probably be best if Jeter redshirts. Bolden is so much stronger and has better awareness. Just don't see Jeter getting minutes this year.

Bay Area Duke Fan
10-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Probably be best if Jeter redshirts. Bolden is so much stronger and has better awareness. Just don't see Jeter getting minutes this year.

Too late for Jeter to redshirt this year (after playing tonite).

subzero02
10-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Playing against Bolden will help Jeter develop in practice... hopefully.

SCMatt33
10-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Just a cool little thing. Free throw routines can be so important to players. After the Flagrant, Jeter heads to the line by himself, nails the first, mimics high fiving 2 guards behind him and nails the second.

jipops
10-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Playing against Bolden will help Jeter develop in practice... hopefully.

I do believe it will. I just don't think we'll see the results of that labor until next season.

Native
10-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Kennard with a cool 30-piece on the night.