PDA

View Full Version : 2016-17 NBA Regular Season (not Duke-specific)

Troublemaker
10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Put commentary on the NBA season that is not Duke related or only tangentially Duke related in here.

Last season's thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36656-2015-16-General-NBA-Thread-(not-Duke-specific)) became sort of a Steph Curry Appreciation thread, from what I recall. We'll see what captures our imagination this season. (I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Warriors again now that they've added Durant.)

Anyway, the NBA regular season starts tonight on TNT with Ring Night for Lebron, Kyrie, and the rest of the Cavs before they battle the Knicks. (I suspect Game 1 of the World Series will have higher ratings.) Then, the second game on TNT will have the new-look Warriors facing the Spurs. (There is also a third game that's not on TNT pitting Quin Snyder's Jazz against the Trail Blazers.)

Ichabod Drain
10-25-2016, 09:27 AM
There is also a third game that's not on TNT pitting Quin Snyder's Jazz against the Mason "Triple Double Threat" Plumlee's Trail Blazers.

FIFY

JNort
10-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Mason would have terrific numbers if he was given the minutes he deserves. Not sure why they limit his pt so much, from what I've seen he doesn't foul that badly. He also fits their team much better with his passing and leaping ability.

JNort
10-25-2016, 10:46 PM
If you haven't seen this video about the Warriors being villains you are missing out.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2671753-superteam-a-warriors-musical

Love em or hate em that video is very entertaining.

duke4ever19
10-25-2016, 11:32 PM
The Spurs are taking it to the Warriors in Oracle. Simmons with a 3 in Durant's face to give them an 18-point lead.

mr. synellinden
10-25-2016, 11:34 PM
If you haven't seen this video about the Warriors being villains you are missing out.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2671753-superteam-a-warriors-musical

Love em or hate em that video is very entertaining.

The villains are getting scorched at home right now by the best team in the West.

luburch
10-26-2016, 06:26 AM
Geez, what happened to the Warriors last night? Everyone, myself included, expected the Spurs to take a step back this season. To be fair, I still expect that, but pretty impressive first performance.

Cavs looked pretty solid against a crappy Knicks team in the bits that I saw. Portland took down the Hayward-less Jazz.

YmoBeThere
10-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Geez, what happened to the Warriors last night? Everyone, myself included, expected the Spurs to take a step back this season. To be fair, I still expect that, but pretty impressive first performance.

Cavs looked pretty solid against a crappy Knicks team in the bits that I saw. Portland took down the Hayward-less Jazz.

Well, the Spurs did drop that dead weight from Wake Forest. ;)

Ichabod Drain
10-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Two stats:

Spurs Bench-54 points Warriors Bench-16 points
Spurs Rebs-55 Warriors Rebs-35

elvis14
10-26-2016, 09:33 AM
I'm not too surprised to see the Spurs outplay the Warriors. GS has some new pieces that it's going to have to properly fit. Dropping the dead weight in Barnes (poor Dallas) will help but playing a Spurs team that's obviously got their roles figured out didn't do GS any favors last night.

GS is one of the few teams that I really like that doesn't have any Duke players. The last couple of years they have been great to watch except for the cheater. Now that he's gone I really hope GS gets their ish together and makes another great run.

gurufrisbee
10-26-2016, 09:43 AM
The Warriors did say that this season would be different than last season and they were not going to be focused on any silly regular season record for wins. I guess they meant it.

elvis14
10-26-2016, 09:57 AM
The Warriors did say that this season would be different than last season and they were not going to be focused on any silly regular season record for wins. I guess they meant it.

It has crossed my mind that a few early losses like this might take any record breaking win counts out of play and make it more sensible for them to rest some guys later in the season. Of course, last year quite a few guys got lots of rest during games because they didn't have to play the starters in the 4th quarter.

ChillinDuke
10-26-2016, 10:07 AM
It has crossed my mind that a few early losses like this might take any record breaking win counts out of play and make it more sensible for them to rest some guys later in the season. Of course, last year quite a few guys got lots of rest during games because they didn't have to play the starters in the 4th quarter.

In instances like the above quote, I really find myself disagree with the state of sports these days. The whole notion of resting players and taking games off (etc) is disagreeable to me. Not from a logic standpoint, I get why teams do it. But from a structure standpoint, I don't like how the importance of games has been watered down. I take exception to the structure of regular season/playoff mechanics that leagues generally have (but in this case, the NBA) that allow these sorts of things to occur.

And I also appreciate that, to some degree, this will be unavoidable no matter how you structure it. But there are ways to tighten it up - one example being by reducing the number of games thus compacting teams records and creating less separation in seeding.

It won't happen, for monetary reasons. But when players take random games off (like the Spurs traditionally have), it makes the sport less appealing. At least to me.

Man, I sound old.

- Chillin

elvis14
10-26-2016, 10:32 AM
In instances like the above quote, I really find myself disagree with the state of sports these days. The whole notion of resting players and taking games off (etc) is disagreeable to me. Not from a logic standpoint, I get why teams do it. But from a structure standpoint, I don't like how the importance of games has been watered down. I take exception to the structure of regular season/playoff mechanics that leagues generally have (but in this case, the NBA) that allow these sorts of things to occur.

And I also appreciate that, to some degree, this will be unavoidable no matter how you structure it. But there are ways to tighten it up - one example being by reducing the number of games thus compacting teams records and creating less separation in seeding.

It won't happen, for monetary reasons. But when players take random games off (like the Spurs traditionally have), it makes the sport less appealing. At least to me.

Man, I sound old.

- Chillin

I hear you. I used to be pretty unhappy with the notion of resting players and now I post about it without thinking because it's become the norm. Reducing the number of games would make the regular season games more important and reduce the need to rest players for the playoffs. It'll never happen because nobody wants to give up the revenue from those games. I think that teams could 'rest' players by simply reducing their practice time and limiting their minutes in games. At the same time as I've gotten older, I look back and think about how I was playing sports 5 or 6 days a week in my 20's and 30's and wonder how I did it. So I can understand older players (like Tim Duncan) taking some games off to rejuvenate.

I know that even at the college level that some fans feel as though their team might do better in end of year tournaments if their players played fewer minutes in games :-)

GGLC
10-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Mason would have terrific numbers if he was given the minutes he deserves. Not sure why they limit his pt so much, from what I've seen he doesn't foul that badly. He also fits their team much better with his passing and leaping ability.

Mason fouled out in the first half of a preseason game and had four fouls in the first half last night, so you may want to reexamine your premises. :)

He also really needs a reliable jumpshot to be effective with spacing (which is a familiar refrain).

Ichabod Drain
10-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Mason fouled out in the first half of a preseason game and had four fouls in the first half last night, so you may want to reexamine your premises. :)

He also really needs a reliable jumpshot to be effective with spacing (which is a familiar refrain).

His fourth foul actually came early into the third quarter. But to add to your narrative Mason was 0-3 on shots where he didn't dunk it. Including two 14' jumpers.

JNort
10-26-2016, 07:41 PM

Quick hits:
Knicks will make the playoffs
Warriors win the NBA championship fairly easily

duke4ever19
10-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Quick hits:

I'm hoping the Warriors and Cavs meet in the Finals again because this board was very entertaining.

luburch
10-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Quick hits:

Say what now?

Cavs, Raptors, Celtics, Pacers, Hornets, Hawks, Wizards, Bucks, Pistons, Bulls. That's ten teams with a shot at the playoffs. Who are the Knicks going to knock out of that group?

flyingdutchdevil
10-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Say what now?

Cavs, Raptors, Celtics, Pacers, Hornets, Hawks, Wizards, Bucks, Pistons, Bulls. That's ten teams with a shot at the playoffs. Who are the Knicks going to knock out of that group?

The Bulls. Worst shooting team in the NBA. Bucks aren't great either, although Jabari and Giannis are awesome.

I think the Knicks will make the playoffs as an 8-seed, but get bounced faster than you can say, "Derrick Rose was a former MVP?"

elvis14
10-27-2016, 09:10 AM
A couple of thoughts after watching Sportscenter this morning. First, it was really nice to see Joel Embiid on the court. I know he plays the same position as Okafor but Embiid seems like a really good guy and to have to miss 2 years with injuries before ever playing your first game (and have a family tragedy) had to have been tough. I hope he does well and that the 76ers figure out how to not suck this year (with Okafor and Henderson helping them greatly).

Now, about Sportscenter and ESPN inability to cover a basketball game. As the years have passed ESPN's ability to cover a game on Sportscenter has deteriorated beyond belief. For example, last night the Lakers beat the Rockets. ESPN covered the game by having a discussion about how the Rockets coaches want James Harden to have more assists (he did have 17 and 14 in the first quarter). So they show a bunch of highlights of Harden dropping dimes and the Rockets making shots. Then at the very end they show Julius Randle make a layup and show the score. The Lakers won the game. I don't even think they mentioned that, they just showed the score. I couldn't tell if Ingram played or not. The flow of the game, the halftime score, anything about the actual game (as opposed to the individual they wanted to highlight) was not mentioned. This is what they do with every single game. I can tell you that Westbrook, Davis, Harden had big games and the Embiid looked good in his return. I want to know about the starts and great players but I also want to know about the games. Aren't the games this big thing? Isn't winning and losing supposed to matter more than who goes for 40 and 14?

I need to get out of the habit of watching 'center in the morning so I don't start the day mad. And God forbid Grayson trips anyone this year because they'll cover that more than any game on any night. And someone get those darn kids off my lawn!

flyingdutchdevil
10-27-2016, 09:19 AM
A couple of thoughts after watching Sportscenter this morning. First, it was really nice to see Joel Embiid on the court. I know he plays the same position as Okafor but Embiid seems like a really good guy and to have to miss 2 years with injuries before ever playing your first game (and have a family tragedy) had to have been tough. I hope he does well and that the 76ers figure out how to not suck this year (with Okafor and Henderson helping them greatly).

Now, about Sportscenter and ESPN inability to cover a basketball game. As the years have passed ESPN's ability to cover a game on Sportscenter has deteriorated beyond belief. For example, last night the Lakers beat the Rockets. ESPN covered the game by having a discussion about how the Rockets coaches want James Harden to have more assists (he did have 17 and 14 in the first quarter). So they show a bunch of highlights of Harden dropping dimes and the Rockets making shots. Then at the very end they show Julius Randle make a layup and show the score. The Lakers won the game. I don't even think they mentioned that, they just showed the score. I couldn't tell if Ingram played or not. The flow of the game, the halftime score, anything about the actual game (as opposed to the individual they wanted to highlight) was not mentioned. This is what they do with every single game. I can tell you that Westbrook, Davis, Harden had big games and the Embiid looked good in his return. I want to know about the starts and great players but I also want to know about the games. Aren't the games this big thing? Isn't winning and losing supposed to matter more than who goes for 40 and 14?

I need to get out of the habit of watching 'center in the morning so I don't start the day mad. And God forbid Grayson trips anyone this year because they'll cover that more than any game on any night. And someone get those darn kids off my lawn!

Embiid was awesome. The issue with Noel is that he can't play offense. The issue with Okafor is that he can't play defense. Embiid shockingly showed in one game that he can play both. Yes, small sample size, but it gave the 76ers something to really cheer about.

Consider me an Embiid fan. I really like his game.

BD80
10-27-2016, 10:33 AM
... Now, about Sportscenter and ESPN inability to cover a basketball game. As the years have passed ESPN's ability to cover a game on Sportscenter has deteriorated beyond belief. ...

... God forbid Grayson trips anyone this year because they'll cover that more than any game on any night. And someone get those darn kids off my lawn!

They'll still show replays of last year whenever they show highlights Duke playing this year

luvdahops
10-28-2016, 10:42 AM
The Bulls. Worst shooting team in the NBA. Bucks aren't great either, although Jabari and Giannis are awesome.

I think the Knicks will make the playoffs as an 8-seed, but get bounced faster than you can say, "Derrick Rose was a former MVP?"

FWIW, folks in Chicago are cautiously optimistic about the Bulls this year. Perimeter shooting is an issue, to be sure (although Wade and Butler shot a combined 8-12 from 3 in last night's win over the Celtics). And the roster in general, while fairly deep from a pure talent standpoint, is definitely not constructed like most contenders these days. But the roster changes, especially the additions of uber-competitive Rondo and Wade, seem to have given the team a very different personality from the past few Bulls squads, which often seemed to lack heart and leadership. Having a relatively unique offensive approach can be an advantage, too, particularly in an Eastern Conference which has many good teams but only one clearly great one. I don't expect the Bulls to challenge the Cavs or anything, but not making the playoffs would be a disappointment.

Troublemaker
10-28-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm hoping the Warriors and Cavs meet in the Finals again because this board was very entertaining.

Well, the dynamics would be different because Barnes is now gone from the Warriors. Many Duke fans including me were kind of running counter-culture last season by rooting against the Warriors while they were the hip team that was drawing in new casual NBA fans thanks to Steph Curry. This season, I feel like I can appreciate them better, although I might STILL be counter-culture if I'm liking them while they've become the Villain Team to everyone else post-Durant signing; it'll be interesting to see if they really DO become the NBA's villains this season. What a dramatic change that would be in the span of a few months. Push comes to shove, I would definitely still root for Kyrie and the Cavs over them if that indeed is the Finals. But I wouldn't hate it if the Warriors won this season. (James McAdoo? Eh, I don't care about him.)

Ichabod Drain
10-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Well, the dynamics would be different because Barnes is now gone from the Warriors. Many Duke fans including me were kind of running counter-culture last season by rooting against the Warriors while they were the hip team that was drawing in new casual NBA fans thanks to Steph Curry. This season, I feel like I can appreciate them better, although I might STILL be counter-culture if I'm liking them while they've become the Villain Team to everyone else post-Durant signing; it'll be interesting to see if they really DO become the NBA's villains this season. What a dramatic change that would be in the span of a few months. Push comes to shove, I would definitely still root for Kyrie and the Cavs over them if that indeed is the Finals. But I wouldn't hate it if the Warriors won this season. (James McAdoo? Eh, I don't care about him.)

Also Dunleavy is on the Cavs this season as well.

Troublemaker
10-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Also Dunleavy is on the Cavs this season as well.

D'oh. Good call. Dun Jr's best chance to win a ring so far.

Ichabod Drain
11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHPe6PdKhA

elvis14
11-03-2016, 02:59 PM

Wisconsin fans are probably blaming that Dekker blooper on the refs in the Nat'l Championship game.

flyingdutchdevil
11-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Wisconsin fans are probably blaming that Dekker blooper on the refs in the Nat'l Championship game.

:( Poor Dekker. I actually really like the dude...

elvis14
11-03-2016, 03:25 PM
:( Poor Dekker. I actually really like the dude...

Me too, he was fun to watch at Wisconsin.

brevity
11-03-2016, 04:23 PM

"Damn rent-a-waxers at Madison Square Garden can't clean a floor properly."
- Bo Ryan, watching at home

"Gotta be the shoes."
- Spike Lee, courtside

pfrduke
11-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Durant and the Warriors are dialed. in. in the first half against the Thunder. After trailing 31-21 in the first, the Warriors have ripped off a 47-12 run to close the half, and all Durant has done is score 29 in the first half on 11-17 shooting. The second quarter (which the Warriors won 37-11) is basically peak Golden State.

duke4ever19
11-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Durant and the Warriors are dialed. in. in the first half against the Thunder. After trailing 31-21 in the first, the Warriors have ripped off a 47-12 run to close the half, and all Durant has done is score 29 in the first half on 11-17 shooting. The second quarter (which the Warriors won 37-11) is basically peak Golden State.

And the mighty Warriors follow that by losing to . . . the Lakers (?)

Edouble
11-05-2016, 10:53 AM
And the mighty Warriors follow that by losing to . . . the Lakers (?)

Yeah... Curry and Klay couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night.

Steph has hit a three pointer in 157 consecutive games, dating back to November 14, 2014. He was 0-10 from deep last night. Streak finished.

Ingram looked good, not great. Only 2-8 from the field but ended up with 12, 6, and 3. Lou Williams looked in control of GS all night.

Ichabod Drain
11-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Steph has hit a three pointer in 157 consecutive games, dating back to November 14, 2014. He was 0-10 from deep last night. Streak finished.

Guess who has the longest streak now....

Reilly
11-17-2016, 07:44 PM
The Wizards are currently wearing the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen on a basketball court. And that comparison includes Carolina blue.

Edit: Apparently an homage to the 1969-73 Baltimore Bullets:

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84562249/

The original looked better:

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/2015/07/Screen-Shot-2015-07-23-at-12.09.46-.png

elvis14
11-18-2016, 10:34 AM
The Wizards are currently wearing the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen on a basketball court. And that comparison includes Carolina blue.

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/2015/07/Screen-Shot-2015-07-23-at-12.09.46-.png

Interesting, I expected something ugly (I mean you said worse than the hideous UNCheat blue). Wouldn't want to see them al the time but for a few throw back nights, I actually think they are cool.

Billy Dat
11-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Interesting, I expected something ugly (I mean you said worse than the hideous UNCheat blue). Wouldn't want to see them al the time but for a few throw back nights, I actually think they are cool.

Looking at those unis last night I felt like they were trying to borrow from soccer jerseys. The short sleeve NBA jerseys have to be an attempt to sell more standard shirt type merch.

mkirsh
11-18-2016, 06:16 PM

Those are awful but their Veterans Day uniforms were really nice

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-unveil-new-stars-and-stripes-uniform-honor-military

Billy Dat
11-22-2016, 10:38 AM
KAT is a freakin FREAK

https://twitter.com/fullcourtprez/status/800870759874838531/video/1

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2016, 10:41 AM
KAT is a freakin FREAK

I really think he'll be more impactful than Anthony Davis. He's the total package. Really likable dude too.

Billy Dat
11-22-2016, 11:06 AM
I really think he'll be more impactful than Anthony Davis. He's the total package. Really likable dude too.

This debate is percolating right now. As environment is so important, you'd have to wager that KAT, with the supporting cast and coaching in Minny, has a leg up. That was quite a run of centers Cal had with Boogie-AD-KAT.

Off the court, he is extremely polished. When they had him doing audience interviews during last year's NBA draft, Bilas said, "This kid is going to take our jobs!"

Big recent profile on him in ESPN the Mag (which I haven't read yet), but I did listen to the accompanying Zach Lowe/Kevin Arnovitz podcast which was interesting (both guys are always good)

Article - http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18063065/minnesota-timberwolves-karl-anthony-towns-face-nba-big-man-revolution
Podcast - http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18081462

Ichabod Drain
11-22-2016, 11:26 AM

If only K would of held out for that DR national team job.....:rolleyes:

Another note about KAT is he played all 82 games last season and has played every game this season so far. Anthony Davis has been injured for part of every season since he's been in the league. The most games he's played in a season is 68. Dude has a long and varied list of injuries.

nmduke2001
11-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Kevin Love had a record 34 first quarter points last night against Portland. Unfortunately, Mason Plumlee was "guarding" Love for a bunch of those points. Not sure if it was the game plan but Plumlee was sagging way off and Love was shooting wide open threes.

flyingdutchdevil
11-30-2016, 01:55 PM
I can't explain this. It's too amazing: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18169482/jr-smith-cleveland-cavaliers-gives-dunk-greeting-opposing-player-bench

My favorite part is obviously JR's hug with an opposing BENCH player. My second favorite part is Kyrie's and Iman's WTF reaction. My third favorite part is Tristan Thompson's completely confusion as to what just happened.

flyingdutchdevil
12-02-2016, 11:49 AM
More kicks to body parts: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/2/13817146/draymond-green-kick-video-james-harden-rockets

That is the most unnatural leg motion I've ever seen. I'm a Curry, Thompson, and Durant fan. But I want the Dubs to lose so badly. Thanks Draymond...

DukieInBrasil
12-02-2016, 01:15 PM
More kicks to body parts: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/2/13817146/draymond-green-kick-video-james-harden-rockets

That is the most unnatural leg motion I've ever seen. I'm a Curry, Thompson, and Durant fan. But I want the Dubs to lose so badly. Thanks Draymond...

i agree with you on this one for sure. Curry is amazing, and seems really nice. Durant has been nothing but class, and an amazing talent, since he began his career. Klay seems nice enough, but hasn't had enough spotlight for me to get much of a feel for him. Green though, deserves every flagrant one and ejection he gets. He cost them the title last year, and he deserved to the suspension he got. If you have a player that clearly cost your team a shot at the title thru repeated unsportsmanlike conduct, how does that guy stay on your team? I hope they make it to the Finals this year and lose again b/c of some stupid antic from Draymond. Check that, i hope they lose in the Western Finals to JJ's Clippers!

CDu
12-02-2016, 01:35 PM
KAT is a freakin FREAK

I remember there were folks pooh-poohing the idea of Towns going ahead of Okafor in the draft. Towns is one of the poster children for why college production doesn't always translate to the NBA.

Well, maybe Towns and Hansbrough...

flyingdutchdevil
12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
I remember there were folks pooh-poohing the idea of Towns going ahead of Okafor in the draft. Towns is one of the poster children for why college production doesn't always translate to the NBA.

Well, maybe Towns and Hansbrough...

Yup. I got a lot of crap for taking Towns over Okafor in the DBR mock draft.

Also, Okafor ain't getting much love via Zach Lowe: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18183056/zach-lowe-russell-westbrook-anthony-davis-john-wall-10-things-like

Ichabod Drain
12-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Klay Thompson scored 60 points last night.... on 33 shots..... in 29 minutes. Crazy.

flyingdutchdevil
12-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Klay Thompson scored 60 points last night... on 33 shots.... in 29 minutes. Crazy.

He may be the best catch-and-shoot player ever.

Really like Klay. Given the lack of depth at the 2 in the NBA, he should be considered an All-Star for nearly every year of his career.

elvis14
12-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Klay Thompson scored 60 points last night... on 33 shots... in 29 minutes. Crazy.

Really wish I was watching that game. I really like Klay as well. One thing that I often like is athletes that play at a high level and still have fun with what they do. The GSW do this really well...especially Steph Curry. ESPN made a great point this morning. Watching this game and the highlights and seeing all the support Klay was given and how much fun they were having, you have to think that more players, like KD, are going to want to play for them.

Anyway, what a great performance by Klay Thompson.

Troublemaker
12-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Golden St is now averaging 120 points a game.

brevity
01-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Harrison Barnes is an All-Star... Burger. (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Mavericks-Announce-Harrison-Barnes-Burger-409508765.html) (h/t Adam Rowe (https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/816378690451873792))

The Dallas Mavericks announced that Barnes and American Airlines Center Executive Chef Mark Mabry created the Harrison Barnes All-Star Burger.

The burger is a 1/3-pound pigeon patty topped with pepper-jack pickled-jalapeņo cheese spread, Cajun spice aioli, lettuce and tomatoes on a corn-dusted brioche bun.

"I can order it with fries and a Coca-Cola for $12, and it fills me up for the whole frickin' day," said Barnes' college coach, Roy Williams.

Edouble
02-20-2017, 09:49 AM
DeMarcus Cousins traded to NOLA for Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, and two first round draft picks.

Anthony Davis finally has a suitable big man counterpart. Cousins is also a top 10 player in the league and a huge upgrade from Omer Asik. With Cousins' ability to pass, dunk, shoot, rebound, everything else, the small ball NBA is going to see a new version of the twin towers. I am excited to see how this goes.

CDu
02-20-2017, 11:28 AM
DeMarcus Cousins traded to NOLA for Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, and two first round draft picks.

Anthony Davis finally has a suitable big man counterpart. Cousins is also a top 10 player in the league and a huge upgrade from Omer Asik. With Cousins' ability to pass, dunk, shoot, rebound, everything else, the small ball NBA is going to see a new version of the twin towers. I am excited to see how this goes.

It's a great trade for the Pelicans, provided they can re-sign Cousins and keep his head on straight. Cousins and Davis make for an incredibly talented frontcourt. I do worry about the mobility on defense (Davis is a very mobile C, but just okay in mobility as a PF.

They do give up Hield and picks, but I think it's easier to replace a SG than it is to find a superstar. And it isn't like Hield has been all that great thus far anyway.

I like it from a fans' perspective though. It creates another look for the league, combining the stars of two teams that were otherwise garbage to make for another contending type of team.

I dislike it from a Bulls fan's perspective. Sacramento was potentially going to fall outside the top-10 this year in the lottery. That would have given the Bulls their pick (top-10 protected). Now? Sacramento will be garbage, meaning the Bulls will just get a second-round pick. :(

Turk
02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Also bad news for Jah Okafor; mix of good news / bad news for the Sixers. NOLA was rumored to be one of the teams in serious talks as a possible new home for Jah, now that's off the table. With only a couple days until the trade deadline, there aren't many interested teams (Boston and Chicago getting the most attention).

http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/2/20/14668652/marc-stein-boston-celtics-jahlil-okafor-trade-chicago-bulls-nba-trade-deadline-2017-76ers

The silver lining for the Sixers is that they will benefit from Sacramento's continued descent into Tankapalooza, with Boogie gone. The Sixers have the right to swap first-round picks with the Kings in 2017, as well as their unprotected 2019 first rounder. #TrustTheProcess #FreeJah

camion
02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
The way I read the last two posts both Chicago and Philadelphia have (some) rights to the Sacramento's 2017 first round pick. Is this true and if so, who gets dibs?:confused:

Turk
02-20-2017, 02:47 PM
The way I read the last two posts both Chicago and Philadelphia have (some) rights to the Sacramento's 2017 first round pick. Is this true and if so, who gets dibs?:confused:

We're both right!!
Chicago gets the pick if it falls outside the top 10.
If the pick is inside the top 10, then the Sixers have the right to swap their pick with the Kings.

As of today, Sixers (21-35) are #5, and the Divacs Tankers (24-33) are #11 in the "Go to hell for Markelle" / "Gonzo for Lonzo" 2017 lottery. However, the Sixers are playing .500 ball (17-17) coming into the all-star break, so it's likely they could climb a few notches (even if they shut Ben Simmons down for the year). So if the Kings sink into the Top 10, that's a little extra insurance and a few more ping pong balls for the Sixers.

duke4ever19
02-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Lakers (per this report) wouldn't deal Ingram to Sac-town to get Cousins.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-lakers-had-shot-at-demarcus-cousins-but-wouldnt-part-with-brandon-ingram/

It definitely wasn't a straight-up "my guy for your guy" trade proposition, but it seems the Lakers think Ingram will put it together eventually. Plus, Cousins is a head-case and perpetually looks like he pooped his pants and is mad about it.