PDA

View Full Version : 10-9 football media conference

jimsumner
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Several themes today.

Patrick Bailey-out for season on non-contact injury. The team leader on defense, Roof gave him high praise for his committment, leadership, dedication. Rey talked at length about how important Bailey was to Duke's D. Bailey still around, giving pep talks.

Who replaces him? Radloff still out. Akinbiyi will start. Banks will play some at DE, as will Rucker, who Roof described as "Duke's most athletic big lineman."

Austin Kelly solidified his spot as Duke's #3 wide receiver. Has right thumb in cast but should still play.

VT's special teams a source of concern. Duke working on "placement" for Jones' punting, which may mean kicking out of bounds some on punts. Jones needs to get kicks away quicker, 2.0 or less. "Work in progress."

Roof describes the dilemma. "You worry so much about protecting the punter that players tend to hold their blocks too long and nobody gets downfield." Duke working on balancing the blocking for Jones while still getting coverage downfield. A delicate balance and absolutely crucial for Duke to get this right Saturday if Duke is to have any chance. Roof thinks VT uses their speed better on special teams than anywhere else. With Bailey out, Marcus Jones becomes more important on kick coverage.

Duke focusing on containing Taylor on scrambles. Rey-"We have to be disciplined and stay with our assignments." Lane discipline essential.

Rey says Duke's improved D in the second half was not the result of changes in either schemes or personnel. They just got tired of getting pushed around and got p****d off.

Thad's reaction to last year's Tech game was much discussed. Both Jomar Wright and Rey declined to give any bulletin board material. Smart lads.

Roof on Lewis. "I'm sure he remembers last year" but no specific discussions regarding the late hits. "Big test. Can't have happy feet. Stay with mechanics. If he gets knocked down, he has to get back up and start all over again. That's his job and I expect him to do his job. He's a heck of a competitor."

DukeDude
10-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Thad's reaction to last year's Tech game was much discussed. Both Jomar Wright and Rey declined to give any bulletin board material. Smart lads.

Roof on Lewis. "I'm sure he remembers last year" but no specific discussions regarding the late hits. "Big test. Can't have happy feet. Stay with mechanics. If he gets knocked down, he has to get back up and start all over again. That's his job and I expect him to do his job. He's a heck of a competitor."

Thanks for the summary. In regards to the late hits form last year, I wish Roof had taken a stronger stand and stirred up a little controversy on the matter. Maybe take a dig at Beamer. If I am the coach, I want my players to know that I have their backs. I also want the refs to know that VT is a school full of scumbags, at least on the gridiron. Playing possum on the matter won't change anything.

Devilsfan
10-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I heard Bailey was the strongest member of the team. I noticed that he was playing on defense and also special teams without much of a rest between asignments. He must have been in great shape. D will really miss him.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I heard Bailey was the strongest member of the team. I noticed that he was playing on defense and also special teams without much of a rest between asignments. He must have been in great shape. D will really miss him.

What I don't understand is why in the world is Eron Riley, our star wide receiver, on the punting/and or kick off team? I don't WANT him covering punts and/or kick offs and tackling returners. I want him safe and sound on the sideline. We need him catching passes, not runners. That is what freshman are for...

cspan37421
10-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Several themes today.

Rey says Duke's improved D in the second half was not the result of changes in either schemes or personnel. They just got tired of getting pushed around and got p****d off.

This disturbs me as much as the "UConn was a lot more prepared than we thought they'd be." When you read this latest one, you wonder, why did it take a half - and a bunch of points - to get tired of being pushed around?? If this is true, the problem is motivational, which points squarely to coaching.

I still maintain you don't replace Roof until you have someone better. But I'd be looking.