PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 35, Ga Tech 38

OZZIE4DUKE
10-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Front page article today, 10/22, previews the GT game. Uh, today is the bye week and we play them next​ Saturday, 10/29, not today! LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
10-22-2016, 08:13 AM
This statement is incorrect as well:

As an aside: this week’s helmets commemorate the 1942 Rose Bowl team.

The commemorative helmets and Rose Bowl patches will be worn during the November 5 home game against Virginia Tech.

BandAlum83
10-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Just got my tickets. Is there any Atlanta Duke tailgate planned?

devildeac
10-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Page 2?

Waiting to hear injury report from Jim Sumner later today.

Olympic Fan
10-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Page 2?

Waiting to hear injury report from Jim Sumner later today.

Will I do?

Duke Football Injury Report
Duke vs. Georgia Tech
October 27, 2016

OUT
WR Anthony Nash (clavicle)
P Austin Parker (clavicle)

OUT FOR SEASON
LB Tinashe Bere (leg)
S DeVon Edwards (leg)
S Javon Jackson (foot)
DT Zach Morris (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

Pretty good news -- nothing we didn't know. Duncan, Fields, Davis, et all -- banged up to some recent in recent weeks not on the list at all.

Avvocato
10-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Although we have started the rough second half schedule, this is a winnable game for us. We have done well recently against option offenses. If we can force Ga. Tech into 3rd and long, or even 3rd and medium distance, we should be okay. We have to convert drives into touchdowns though. I like how our offense has played, but we need to finish drives. It goes without saying that if we can't get in the endzone, we need to make field goals. We are about to play our 8th game, and our field goal kicker still can't make one much beyond an extra point. I believe he's talented, and I bet he will be fine. I'm not trying to kill the kid. But as a football team, you have to make field goals of less than 40 yards routinely. Our inability to make kicks is impacting our play calling in that part of the field (e.g., going for it when we might otherwise settle for 3). I keep waiting for Reed to make the kick that gives him his confidence. We hoped it would come after the ND game winner. I hope it comes this week. We need Reed to be a weapon. I keep routing for him.

In any case, let's be disciplined on defense and tackle. When playing an option offense, they try to isolate defenders, so any missed tackle or assignment results in big gains. I have faith in the defense to play well. I hope the offense scores points. A win keeps us at .500. A loss could create a spiral effect. Let's get this one. Go Duke.

P.S.

Any thought whether after the bye week if Fuller or Bracey could see some action, especially with Nash out? I expect not but am just curious.

devildeac
10-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Will I do?

Duke Football Injury Report
Duke vs. Georgia Tech
October 27, 2016

OUT
WR Anthony Nash (clavicle)
P Austin Parker (clavicle)

OUT FOR SEASON
LB Tinashe Bere (leg)
S DeVon Edwards (leg)
S Javon Jackson (foot)
DT Zach Morris (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

Pretty good news -- nothing we didn't know. Duncan, Fields, Davis, et all -- banged up to some recent in recent weeks not on the list at all.

Sumner is 1A and you're A1. And I'm not talking highway numbers/letters and/or steak sauces, either :rolleyes:. How's that? ;)

I'm guessing Parker and Nash are done for the year, too.

Not too bad but still bad considering who we've lost for the year.

Thank you!

budwom
10-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Although we have started the rough second half schedule, this is a winnable game for us. We have done well recently against option offenses. If we can force Ga. Tech into 3rd and long, or even 3rd and medium distance, we should be okay. We have to convert drives into touchdowns though. I like how our offense has played, but we need to finish drives. It goes without saying that if we can't get in the endzone, we need to make field goals. We are about to play our 8th game, and our field goal kicker still can't make one much beyond an extra point. I believe he's talented, and I bet he will be fine. I'm not trying to kill the kid. But as a football team, you have to make field goals of less than 40 yards routinely. Our inability to make kicks is impacting our play calling in that part of the field (e.g., going for it when we might otherwise settle for 3). I keep waiting for Reed to make the kick that gives him his confidence. We hoped it would come after the ND game winner. I hope it comes this week. We need Reed to be a weapon. I keep routing for him.

In any case, let's be disciplined on defense and tackle. When playing an option offense, they try to isolate defenders, so any missed tackle or assignment results in big gains. I have faith in the defense to play well. I hope the offense scores points. A win keeps us at .500. A loss could create a spiral effect. Let's get this one. Go Duke.

P.S.

Any thought whether after the bye week if Fuller or Bracey could see some action, especially with Nash out? I expect not but am just curious.

Having already played seven games, I think it's highly unlikely we'll see Bracey...that's been a real disappointment this year (not seeing him).
I do hope to see some Fuller, more Young...would be nice if either Taylor or Lee could step things up a notch or two...

awhom111
10-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Here is the TV info again:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-duke-at-georgia-tech-10-29-2016

Blackout map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2914970.jpg

Options based on the shading of your location on the map:

Black:
-On TV on one of the stations in the list above
-Online through services provided by station from list above

Green:
-On TV on one of the stations in the list above
-Theoretically on TV through ESPN College Extra (no channel assignments have been announced)
-Online through services provided by station from list above
-Online through WatchESPN/ACC Network Extra

Reilly
10-29-2016, 12:09 AM
Gameday.

We've played GT every year since 1933.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2016, 06:40 AM
GovDevils!

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Keys to the Game:

* Defense

- stop the fullback dive
- stretch plays to the sideline
- don't forget GT can throw the ball

* Offense

- achieve success running the ball (a healthy Jela Duncan will help)
- Yards after Catch from the receivers

* Special Teams

- positive or neutral turnover margin

This is a big game! We need to beat Georgia Tech to even our record at 4-4 in the quest for six wins and bowl eligibility.

chrishoke
10-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Really a must win for a successful season. Hit their QB clean, hard, early and often.

peloton
10-29-2016, 11:04 AM
We're breaking out the Raid Wasp and Yellow Jacket spray today...active ingredients being JGH and BHumphenothrin (and yes, I did actually lookup the ingredients). Yep, I think that'll do the job nicely. Let's go Duke!!

-jk
10-29-2016, 11:26 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
10-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Live stats for Duke/Georgia Tech...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-georgia-tech-football-live-stats-10292016

sagegrouse
10-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Here in the Rocky Mountains, the game is blacked out on every channel -- and there is no special broadcast on DirecTV 795 or such. Any suggestions?

chrishoke
10-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Here in the Rocky Mountains, the game is blacked out on every channel -- and there is no special broadcast on DirecTV 795 or such. Any suggestions?

14-0 GT. Consider yourself lucky.

75Crazie
10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Ditto, I don't know what arrangements Fox has, but I can only guess they don't want anything messing with their local broadcast of Kansas State and Iowa State. I was getting a play-by-play over the phone from my back-east buddy, and as chrishoke says ... we're not missing anything.

Should a miracle occur, it appears we'd be able to see a re-play on 683 at 5pm MT this evening.

Bay Area Duke Fan
10-29-2016, 01:05 PM

ESPN3 - ACC Network Extra.

sagegrouse
10-29-2016, 01:33 PM
ESPN3 - ACC Network Extra.

Got it. Thanks -- I guess. The game will look better on my laptop screen rather than the big set downstairs.

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Keys to the Game:

* Defense

- stop the fullback dive
- stretch plays to the sideline
- don't forget GT can throw the ball

We forgot.

devildeac
10-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Got it. Thanks -- I guess. The game will look better on my laptop screen rather than the big set downstairs.

This game will only look better if you turn off your laptop. Pretty ugly on both sides of the ball for us.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Sigh. So many mistakes. So/too many fumbles by experienced ball carriers. We're not out of it, but...... LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 01:42 PM
We have 344 yards total offense but have only scored seven points. The offense has to figure out how to put the ball in the end zone.

devildeac
10-29-2016, 01:44 PM
We have 344 yards total offense but have only scored seven points. The offense has to figure out how to put the ball in the end zone.

How many yards have we given up? Gotta be 350 or more. :mad:

devildeac
10-29-2016, 01:47 PM
How many yards have we given up? Gotta be 350 or more. :mad:

Just checked on Riverside's link: 327

FWIW, Jones has a ~157 rating if I'm interpreting that stat correctly.

Their QB has a 300 rating. Dreadful.

DU82
10-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Decent start to the second half!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Well that's more like it! Only Down 7. LGD!

Bay Area Duke Fan
10-29-2016, 02:21 PM

I suggest you get a streaming device to watch Duke basketball on the big screen. There are 9-10 games in the upcoming season that will be available to you only on ESPN3-ACC Network Extra.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-29-2016, 02:27 PM
I suggest you get a streaming device to watch Duke basketball on the big screen. There are 9-10 games in the upcoming season that will be available to you only on ESPN3-ACC Network Extra.

Chromecast Google dongle is $35 and works like a charm.

BigWayne
10-29-2016, 03:02 PM
This game will only look better if you turn off your laptop. Pretty ugly on both sides of the ball for us.

Well I did exactly that at halftime after wasting 20 minutes plus checking all the RSN channels where it's blacked out this year, unlike last year. Then I couldn't get espn3 working for a while. Watched the last few minutes of the first half on the LT and then turned it off to have breakfast. Watching UVA doing surprisingly well against Louisville, I see the score run across the bottom and run back to the computer to see what the heck is going on. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Well that's more like it! Only Down 7. LGD!
There are no moral victories, but to take the lead bodes well for the future. Unfortunately the defense just couldn't stop GT's offense when it needed to the most. LGD! GTHc!

CDu
10-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Awful defense on Tech's last two possessions, allowing 50-yard runs on 2nd and 19and 3rd and 17. Between that and the self-inflicted wounds on offense in the first half, it is sadly evidence of a not-very good football team. Hoping that this season gives the team some things to build on for next year. Bowl eligibility likely toast now (it was a long-shot even if we won).

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Justin Thomas killed us with the long runs. He made our defense look slow. His 50 yard run out of the end zone after we took the lead was the back breaker.

duke09hms
10-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Awful defense on Tech's last two possessions, allowing 50-yard runs on 2nd and 19and 3rd and 17. Between that and the self-inflicted wounds on offense in the first half, it is sadly evidence of a not-very good football team. Hoping that this season gives the team some things to build on for next year. Bowl eligibility likely toast now (it was a long-shot even if we won).

We can make a bowl at 5-7 due to our academics

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 03:35 PM

I do not see two more victories on our schedule.

Troublemaker
10-29-2016, 03:45 PM

We'll be double-digit underdogs in every game remaining. I think we may still pull off one more win, just on the balance of probability, and hopefully it's at home vs UNC.

Anyway, nice comeback to briefly take the lead after trailing big. The high score was a bit unexpected by me. I thought it'd be like a 20-17 game.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2016, 03:59 PM

Did you see us beating Notre Dame? Don't count us out just yet! :cool:

budwom
10-29-2016, 03:59 PM
So we have the ball with four minutes left and decide to punt on fourth and three, not having stopped Tech in recent memory...by that time we had 550 yards of
total offense, and we didn't take the risk of keeping the ball? I thought it was pretty obvious that our chances of getting the ball back were minimal (unless Tech scored yet again).
Yup, Thomas made a great play in the last drive, but he'd been making great plays all day, nice passes all day....giving up the ball was tantamount to giving up the game.

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Did you see us beating Notre Dame?

Notre Dame is 2-5. They suck.

Newton_14
10-29-2016, 04:13 PM
So we have the ball with four minutes left and decide to punt on fourth and three, not having stopped Tech in recent memory...by that time we had 550 yards of
total offense, and we didn't take the risk of keeping the ball? I thought it was pretty obvious that our chances of getting the ball back were minimal (unless Tech scored yet again).
Yup, Thomas made a great play in the last drive, but he'd been making great plays all day, nice passes all day...giving up the ball was tantamount to giving up the game.
Bingo. I could not believe we punted there. I will take fourth and 3 all day long over trying to stop GaTech within 4 minutes.....Winning time.... Leave their offense on the sideline while we score using up all those 4 minutes ourselves...

Papa John
10-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Yup, Thomas made a great play in the last drive, but he'd been making great plays all day, nice passes all day...giving up the ball was tantamount to giving up the game.

We had stopped them for most of the second half... It was not a dumb call, we just failed to close the deal on D... Good God, they converted a 3rd and 17, on a play where we had a LB and a DL overrun the play in the GT backfield and another LB miss an open field tackle to force a punt... Our FB team this season just seems a play or two shy of closing the deal most Saturdays... We'll take our lumps this year and be better for it in upcoming seasons, mark my words. This is a solid team, they're just a little wet behind the ears...

budwom
10-29-2016, 04:29 PM
We had stopped them for most of the second half... It was not a dumb call, we just failed to close the deal on D... Good God, they converted a 3rd and 17, on a play where we had a LB and a DL overrun the play in the GT backfield and another LB miss an open field tackle to force a punt... Our FB team this season just seems a play or two shy of closing the deal most Saturdays... We'll take our lumps this year and be better for it in upcoming seasons, mark my words. This is a solid team, they're just a little wet behind the ears...

Ha, no we most certainly did not "stop them for most of the second half." They fumbled twice. Maybe Cutcliffe figured they'd fumble again, I dunno.
But what they did do was (outside of the two fumbles) go 78 yards in 10 plays for a field goal; go 58 yards in 11 plays and then lose the ball on downs; go 86 yards in 6 plays for a TD.
Even the 58 yard drive in which they gave up the ball on downs consumed 5:52....

So I'm not sure what Cut saw that convinced him we could get the ball back.

Devilwin
10-29-2016, 04:35 PM
The secondary had better improve if we expect to compete next season. I have tons of faith in Cut, but that weakness is glaring.:mad:

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 04:51 PM
The secondary had better improve if we expect to compete next season. I have tons of faith in Cut, but that weakness is glaring.:mad:

Cornerback Breon Borders is a senior, bandit safety Deondre Singleton is a senior and strike safety Corbin McCarthy is a senior. Lots of experience in the secondary will have to be replaced for the 2017 season.

budwom
10-29-2016, 04:59 PM
and Devon, of course. Yeah, big problems back there...you know you have a problem when you can't even identify who is supposed to be covering a guy who is open by 10 full yards.
Scheme? Coaching? Personnel? dunno...

chrishoke
10-29-2016, 05:08 PM
That, I believe was Breon's worst game in a Duke uniform. He looked like a freshman out there, faked, out of position, and just looked incapable of making any plays. Breon has been consistently excellent for 2 years, but not today.

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 05:41 PM
There is a new thread over on The Devils Den which says Jela Duncan's Duke career is over. If true, this makes me really, really sad. That young man has a ton of heart.

Bob Green
10-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Coach Cutcliffe post game comments:

“I’m very sad about Jela Duncan’s injury, which appears to be season-ending.

Season-ending equals career-ending. My sadness is overwhelming.

75Crazie
10-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Can anyone really say "5-7 bowl team" with a straight face?

duke09hms
10-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Can anyone really say "5-7 bowl team" with a straight face?

Yep! We're also on record this season "definitely accepting a bowl invite at 5-7."

Newton_14
10-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Coach Cutcliffe post game comments:

Season-ending equals career-ending. My sadness is overwhelming.

Wow. We have now lost my two favorite players on this years team in Duncan, and Devon. Unbelievable that the injury bug has now taken out our best player overall in Safety & All American Kick Returner Devon Edwards, our starting and veteran QB Thomas Sirk, our Punter Austin Parker, and now our Starting Running Back Jela Duncan. That's just brutal. People can rag on this years team all they want, but we are a totally different team with all those guys healthy for the entire season and there is no way our record would be what it is today if we had all those guys. No way.

It just sucks. A promising year ran completely off the rails with injuries.

Devilwin
10-30-2016, 06:57 AM
Sorry to hear that about Duncan. Best back we'd had in years. Best of luck to him in the future. Injuries killed our season. Sirk, Nash, Duncan, Edwards, the punter whose name I cannot recall, forgive me. Hopefully we can get back on track next year, there's still tons of talent there.
That being said, this reminds me of bygone days when the opposing quarterback just lobbed it down field to wide open receivers we could not cover.
Something has to give there, one way or another. Every team is gonna give up the odd big play now and again, but yesterday's performance bordered on the ridiculous. Gotta fix that issue now rather than later...And I have faith that Cut will. He has brought us out of the quagmire, and if we can fix that, we'll be fine..

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 08:52 AM

I see five more victories on our schedule. I hope our team is looking at it that way too. The injuries we've had have been unbelievable, yet we should have completed an incredible comeback yesterday and won. We had Thomas 3rd and 17, and just didn't get him. He's pretty good, he also led Tech to an Orange Bowl victory his freshman year. But we'll learn from it.

2 weeks ago, we were one costly penalty away from having a great chance to beat Louisville on their home field. We were double digit underdogs in that one. We were 20 point dogs to Notre Dame. Despite all these horrific injuries, guys have been stepping up, and we've shown plenty of capability to play good football. Some of the teams who have beaten us have shown they are pretty good teams (UVA and Northwestern showed that yesterday. Wake and Louisville have all season.)

I loved Cut's comments at halftime yesterday. Down 28-7 to Tech at homecoming, he basically said he expected to win. He told his team, let's come out and play the 2nd half the way we prepared to play, and we'll see what happens. Things looked pretty good at 3rd and 17, so they came pretty close. If we play 2 halves of football like the 2nd, and clean up some of the mistakes leading to big plays, we can beat any team left on our schedule. At Louisville, we showed we can play with anybody. The problem with Duke football is not coaching. What Cut has done for our program speaks for itself.

We'll be big underdogs in each remaining game, but this team rises up more for bigger games. We have nothing to lose now, and no pressure. Let's send our seniors in the secondary out on a good note. Singleton and Borders have made some mistakes, but they're pretty good and capable. They will bounce back. Our next 2 games are at home, and I really hope our fans don't give up on this team and come represent. Do we really want Wally Wade filled with vomit-blue clad cheats chanting "Tar...Heels!" across our stadium. How disheartening would that be for our team? But if we don't fill it up - you better believe both the Hokies and the Cheats will. The Hokies travel well.

Losing Duncan really sucks for him and our team. But our other backs will step up. I'm looking forward to everything coming together and enjoying some great Duke wins with this year's team. Shocking the Hokies has become a Cut football tradition. Let's get it! Next Saturday in Durham, the forecast is sunny with high of 70 - expecting a beautiful day of Duke football in Wade!

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 09:35 AM
ps - What happened to the Delta I used to know? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It's not over until we say it is. This situation calls for a really futile and stupid gesture on somebody's part. And OPK in the Eat Me Cake costume is just the guy to do it. Who's with me? Let's do it! Go! Go! Fuente...dead. Fedora...dead! Needermeyer...

(I know, but if the cinder block jokes never get old...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Justin Thomas is pretty good. Looking back to that 2014 Orange Bowl, Thomas was the MVP of the game with a 41 yard TD pass, and 3 rushing touchdowns, of 13, 15, and 35 yards. The quarterback he beat was Dak Prescott. His Mississippi State team had been AP #1 until a 5 point loss to Alabama.
Thomas's Georgia Tech team lost 3 games that year including a 2 point loss to FSU in the ACC Championship game. But one of those 3 losses was to Cutcliffe and Duke. We almost had him yesterday, but Thomas was too good.

But I like Duke's heart the last 2 games against Lamar Jackson and Justin Thomas.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-30-2016, 10:47 AM
I see five more victories on our schedule. I hope our team is looking at it that way too. The injuries we've had have been unbelievable, yet we should have completed an incredible comeback yesterday and won. We had Thomas 3rd and 17, and just didn't get him. He's pretty good, he also led Tech to an Orange Bowl victory his freshman year. But we'll learn from it.

2 weeks ago, we were one costly penalty away from having a great chance to beat Louisville on their home field. We were double digit underdogs in that one. We were 20 point dogs to Notre Dame. Despite all these horrific injuries, guys have been stepping up, and we've shown plenty of capability to play good football. Some of the teams who have beaten us have shown they are pretty good teams (UVA and Northwestern showed that yesterday. Wake and Louisville have all season.)

I loved Cut's comments at halftime yesterday. Down 28-7 to Tech at homecoming, he basically said he expected to win. He told his team, let's come out and play the 2nd half the way we prepared to play, and we'll see what happens. Things looked pretty good at 3rd and 17, so they came pretty close. If we play 2 halves of football like the 2nd, and clean up some of the mistakes leading to big plays, we can beat any team left on our schedule. At Louisville, we showed we can play with anybody. The problem with Duke football is not coaching. What Cut has done for our program speaks for itself.

We'll be big underdogs in each remaining game, but this team rises up more for bigger games. We have nothing to lose now, and no pressure. Let's send our seniors in the secondary out on a good note. Singleton and Borders have made some mistakes, but they're pretty good and capable. They will bounce back. Our next 2 games are at home, and I really hope our fans don't give up on this team and come represent. Do we really want Wally Wade filled with vomit-blue clad cheats chanting "Tar...Heels!" across our stadium. How disheartening would that be for our team? But if we don't fill it up - you better believe both the Hokies and the Cheats will. The Hokies travel well.

Losing Duncan really sucks for him and our team. But our other backs will step up. I'm looking forward to everything coming together and enjoying some great Duke wins with this year's team. Shocking the Hokies has become a Cut football tradition. Let's get it! Next Saturday in Durham, the forecast is sunny with high of 70 - expecting a beautiful day of Duke football in Wade!
I believe I have found a desciple! Great post! Already Zporked you for it! LGD GTHc! See you on Saturday!

killerleft
10-30-2016, 10:57 AM

I feel exactly the same. We had the better team yesterday. But our Achilles back-of-the-foot is definitely allowing the big, momentum-shifting big plays. Mental errors have been so costly.

Bob Green
10-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I see five more victories on our schedule.

I hope you are right and I am wrong but I am also taking a realistic look at the situation. The injuries are mounting and the competition ahead is tough. Having said that, I am certainly not giving up on the team and will be in the stands on Saturday and Thursday cheering with all my heart and soul.

richardjackson199
10-30-2016, 06:33 PM
I hope you are right and I am wrong but I am also taking a realistic look at the situation. The injuries are mounting and the competition ahead is tough. Having said that, I am certainly not giving up on the team and will be in the stands on Saturday and Thursday cheering with all my heart and soul.

Nobody could ever question your dedication Bob. I didn't mean to call you out, just rally.

We'll be big underdogs for good reason. But we've been playing very well (for the most part) the last 2 games. Guys have amazed me by stepping in and stepping up when our studs go down with injuries. I just feel like we're due for a big game win.

Beat the Hokies, and we could play the holes at home for a chance to get bowl eligible and spoil their Coastal division title. Anything could happen against the cheats.

With Duke's coaching, heart, and big game mentality, it could be fun.