PDA

View Full Version : Giles ?

gofurman
10-21-2016, 11:30 PM
When is it thought he might play?

I saw he is listed as not playing in the C2C. Is that to say he want be playing in October? Not worried - well, not much...

I do think it's the best decision to be safe and be 100 pct healed before even approaching playing. Make sure that when he goes he can go all out for us.

Info? Is he running? Practicing or shooting? Thanks for info

atoomer0881
10-22-2016, 12:01 AM
When is it thought he might play?

I saw he is listed as not playing in the C2C. Is that to say he want be playing in October? Not worried - well, not much...

I do think it's the best decision to be safe and be 100 pct healed before even approaching playing. Make sure that when he goes he can go all out for us.

Info? Is he running? Practicing or shooting? Thanks for info

There was an article on Oct 4 that said he had a successful left knee arthroscopy on Oct 3. Timetable for recovery is six weeks, which is Nov 14, the day before Champions Classic. Hoping he's back by then. If not, then hopefully by the weekend for the HOF Classic at Mohegan Sun! Either way, it seems they are being overly cautious with him, which I see no problem with, considering our depth.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17705621/duke-freshman-forward-harry-giles-up-six-weeks-having-left-knee-surgery

Troublemaker
10-22-2016, 12:54 AM
There was an article on Oct 4 that said he had a successful left knee arthroscopy on Oct 3. Timetable for recovery is six weeks, which is Nov 14, the day before Champions Classic. Hoping he's back by then. If not, then hopefully by the weekend for the HOF Classic at Mohegan Sun! Either way, it seems they are being overly cautious with him, which I see no problem with, considering our depth.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17705621/duke-freshman-forward-harry-giles-up-six-weeks-having-left-knee-surgery

Both of those targets strike me as optimistic. Once the 6 weeks recovery time for arthroscopic surgery is done, there's still the matter of him having not played basketball for a year. After those 6 weeks are done, there will probably be a period of time where he's not playing in games but he's practicing and getting used to playing basketball again and catching up on learning Duke's offense and defense. So, I would rule out November altogether for his return to the court in a real game and be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

jipops
10-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Both of those targets strike me as optimistic. Once the 6 weeks recovery time for arthroscopic surgery is done, there's still the matter of him having not played basketball for a year. After those 6 weeks are done, there will probably be a period of time where he's not playing in games but he's practicing and getting used to playing basketball again and catching up on learning Duke's offense and defense. So, I would rule out November altogether for his return to the court in a real game and be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

I agree with this. Giles hasn't played organized ball in a long, long time. He is going to start out behind everybody else. The speed of the game is likely going to be a struggle, probably for the whole season. But given his raw athletic ability, he'll likely contribute in some meaningful way.

gep
10-22-2016, 01:09 AM
I think conference start is a reasonable start :cool:

CDu
10-22-2016, 11:30 AM
The question is really what the scope was for. These scopes can range in severity. If it was a simple cleanup procedure, then he could return to practice within 3-4 weeks from the procedure. The 6-week timetable - along with the fact that it was his other knee (not the one he hurt last year) - would suggest that it was just a cleanup.

Obviously it remains to be seen. I wouldn't be shocked to see him brought along slowly in the early season. But I would not be surprised if he is ready to go by mid-November either.