PDA

View Full Version : Theo Pinson out indefinitely

gofurman
10-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Surprised this wasn't posted. Pinson is out w a broken foot for a while. That hurts the Heels a little. Averaged 18 minutes a game last year. Probably 20+ minutes per game this year. May be back in January so maybe not a huge thing.

Edit- I see it is in an ACC thread

DukieInKansas
10-21-2016, 11:25 PM
I hope he heals quickly and completely.

Ichabod Drain
10-21-2016, 11:30 PM
Surprised this wasn't posted. Pinson is out w a broken foot for a while. That hurts the Heels a little. Averaged 18 minutes a game last year. Probably 20+ minutes per game this year. May be back in January so maybe not a huge thing.

'Twas posted in the ACC preseason thread.

Tough luck for him and UNC. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Newton_14
10-22-2016, 01:41 AM

Edit- I see it is in an ACC thread

It's ok, this deserved its own thread so I am leaving it up. This is a setback for the heels for sure, and while I take joy in their misery on most occasions, this is not one of them. I hate seeing any kid get hurt. I genuinely wish for him a speedy recovery.

From and impact to the team standpoint, it hurts in that they don't have anyone as talented or as good as Pinson to plug in his spot. It will force Kenny Williams into much more PT than olroy likely wanted. These things can go either way. They can help by a kid who would not get much time otherwise, getting more playing experience, and then when Pinson comes back you theoretically are now deeper and better at his position. However, sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't. These things can go the other way and expose a weak bench and tack on a couple of extra losses that would have been wins otherwise.

Despite the low ranking, Williams looked pretty good to me last year including in the ACC Title game when Roy gave him extended minutes in one stretch. He played well. Now he will get the chance to get lots of minutes game after game. It's just hard to predict how these things end up playing out.

Either way hopefully he heals up nicely and comes back fully healthy.

MarkD83
10-22-2016, 02:59 AM
In the great tradition of unc injuries, Pinson will make a remarkable and miraculous return just in time to play Duke (or some other critical opponent) before he is "expected" to return.

whereinthehellami
10-22-2016, 07:16 AM
Pinson had the same issue on his other foot and when he came back he was not very effective. Pinson struggles with consistency and being out for at least 6 weeks will be a problem.

From what I gather from IC, Williams has some confidence issues and difficulty finishing plays, in other words it doesn't sound like the ideal time to throw him to the wolves.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-22-2016, 07:52 AM
This was an interview and article done before Theo's injury.
(http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1718450-kenny-williams-building-confidence)
Seems like a quiet and measured kid, but comfortable talking about his game. We'll see how he does.

ipatent
10-22-2016, 09:30 AM
In the great tradition of unc injuries, Pinson will make a remarkable and miraculous return just in time to play Duke (or some other critical opponent) before he is "expected" to return.

Hate to see injuries. Hope he heals up and UNC is at full strength to take their their medicine at the hands of Duke next spring.

UrinalCake
10-22-2016, 12:11 PM

I think it hurts them more than a little. They have almost no depth and Pinson is an experienced, versatile player who defends well and can play multiple positions. I expect they'll have to either start Britt which would make for an extremely small backcourt, or throw Williams into the fire.

From what I can recall, Pinson really wanted to come to Duke and we recruited him early on but then prioritized Grayson instead. It's amazing how different their career trajectories have turned, even though Pinson was more highly ranked. Obviously injuries had a lot to do with it and you can blame UNC for that.

OldPhiKap
10-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Pinson seems like a good kid. Hope for a full recovery and a return to play soon for his sake.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-22-2016, 02:05 PM
I think it hurts them more than a little. They have almost no depth and Pinson is an experienced, versatile player who defends well and can play multiple positions. I expect they'll have to either start Britt which would make for an extremely small backcourt, or throw Williams into the fire.

From what I can recall, Pinson really wanted to come to Duke and we recruited him early on but then prioritized Grayson instead. It's amazing how different their career trajectories have turned, even though Pinson was more highly ranked. Obviously injuries had a lot to do with it and you can blame UNC for that.

I'm curious, exactly how can you blame Pinson's foot injuries on UNC?

Rich
10-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Obviously injuries had a lot to do with it and you can blame UNC for that.

I'm curious, exactly how can you blame Pinson's foot injuries on UNC?

Given the context, I'm guessing that was a typo and UC meant to say "can't"

MChambers
10-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Gee, I think you can blame almost anything on UNC.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-22-2016, 03:55 PM

You're probably right. I didn't consider that.

YmoBeThere
10-22-2016, 05:12 PM

And they'll deny it all...

BD80
10-22-2016, 06:59 PM

And they'll deny it all...

And the NCAA will call it all an academic issue ...

weezie
10-22-2016, 10:56 PM

Yeah, I agree it's a typo. U Cake is always a gentleman.

OldPhiKap
10-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I agree it's a typo. U Cake is always a gentleman.

I'm sure he meant "if Roy could develop talent, Pinson would already be a pro and would not have gotten injured in that scrimmage."

Kidding, of course.

CameronBornAndBred
10-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Has IC started a vigil yet?

Doria
10-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Best wishes to Pinson for a speedy recovery.

Researchc
10-25-2016, 08:51 AM
I always prefer to play UNC at their full strength. It keeps the excuses of why they lost, at a minimum. I wish him the best of luck with his recovery.

moonpie23
10-25-2016, 09:24 AM
never want to see a player hurt....hope he recovers....