PDA

View Full Version : Important Rules Changes for the New Season

NM Duke Fan
10-21-2016, 09:12 PM
"Small but significant rule changes are coming to college basketball this season, tweaks to the system that every fan should know about. I spoke with head of NCAA officiating J.D. Collins this week to discuss the changes, why they were made and the NCAA's overall push to get this information out there as general knowledge in advance of the 2016-17 regular season."

Looking over the 5 outlined, some of these could have a significant impact on the game, it will be interesting to see how the Duke players adjust.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketballs-5-biggest-rule-changes-this-season-things-to-know/

weezie
10-21-2016, 11:01 PM
The emphasis on calling fouls among the free throw defenders will be tricky to call evenly. That's a lot of action going on in a tight spot and it sure seemed mostly ignored by refs in previous years.
Reviews in the last two minutes, whoa....

-jk
10-22-2016, 02:55 PM
"Small but significant rule changes are coming to college basketball this season, tweaks to the system that every fan should know about. I spoke with head of NCAA officiating J.D. Collins this week to discuss the changes, why they were made and the NCAA's overall push to get this information out there as general knowledge in advance of the 2016-17 regular season."

Looking over the 5 outlined, some of these could have a significant impact on the game, it will be interesting to see how the Duke players adjust.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketballs-5-biggest-rule-changes-this-season-things-to-know/

It'll be interesting to see how the refs adjust. They haven't done a good job of following the rules changes recently...

(I still miss flowy hoops!)

-jk

MChambers
10-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Wow, Tyler Hansbrough would have scored far fewer points with this rule change:

Collins calls it a "focus on obvious travels on the perimeter and post travels -- picking up the pivot foot."

jv001
10-22-2016, 07:45 PM
I would like to see more palming/carrying the basketball calls made. I believe the game became more physical because it's almost impossible to stop penetration into the lane. Some games looked like the NFL's bump and run defense. Make the player with the ball dribble legally. In other words, dribble the way Bobby Hurley did. GoDuke!

weezie
10-22-2016, 10:48 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the refs adjust. They haven't done a good job of following the rules changes recently...

And that is putting it mildly, brother! Even in the above video, the phrase, "that should have been a foul" on non-called moves, which were such obvious calls, was beginning to sound like background music. It's the NCAA emphasis on making the refs call the fouls that is going to frighten our dog when I watch away games.

Newton_14
10-23-2016, 10:50 PM
And that is putting it mildly, brother! Even in the above video, the phrase, "that should have been a foul" on non-called moves, which were such obvious calls, was beginning to sound like background music. It's the NCAA emphasis on making the refs call the fouls that is going to frighten our dog when I watch away games.

It was totally fair an appropriate, especially with 20 years of cheating, but on that one play they showed from the National Title Game, with shot attempt in the air, the Nova player two hand shoves the unCheat player off the court and out of bounds, and then calmly snares the rebound. It just made me realize that coaches teach these kids that the refs can't see everything, and to take advantage of those times when a ref is likely not looking your way, like when a shot is in the air. Some of the pushing and shoving during free throws was full mortal combat but I know for me, I am almost always watching the flight of the ball on a free throw and almost never catch things like that live. I imagine it is the same way for the refs on a lot of plays.

left_hook_lacey
10-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Wow, Tyler Hansbrough would have scored far fewer points with this rule change:

Collins calls it a "focus on obvious travels on the perimeter and post travels -- picking up the pivot foot."

The sheer size of the infractions that would be called if this were really enforced would be mind-blowing. If you look closely, this can be called on almost nearly every play set up in a half-court offense. Some are so egregious I find my self rewinding and putting the DVR in slow-mo just to count how many times the pivot foot was moved, slid, or lifted completely on a play. It's amusing, and I ask myself, "how did we get here?". Travelling used to be called so tightly, it seemed, when I was a kid.

This will be another one of those rules where it is highly touted, spoke about ad nauseam in the early-season cupcake devouring's as being a "point of emphasis this year", and then completely ignored once the real games get cooking.

I feel like we have a thread like this every year, and I reply with some version of my above mentioned thoughts every year. Basically, the rule changes are usually a good faith measure to make people feel warm and fuzzy that the NCAA is trying to continually improve the game. But in reality, the only rule changes that ever really stick, or are enforced in the way they are advertised in the pre-season, are the ones that have tangible guidelines such as the block/charge circle, moving the 3 point line, the coaches box, etc.

NM Duke Fan
10-25-2016, 10:32 AM
When I was a very active player years ago, there were very tangible guidlines for traveling, and they were indeed strictly enforced. But I also played a lot of street ball in both the LA and DC areas, and of course traveling occurred much of the time -- with the emphasis on flashy offense. And over time, the habits developed on the blacktops bled heavily into the hardwood, and the refs simply let it go more and more. Look at how common palming is now. It will be very interesting to see if the rules changes outlined in the linked article are indeed stricly enforced. If so, that would certainly change the game in some substantial ways. And it would be an adjustment period for college players in general, including for the Blue Devils. We will see ...

House P
10-25-2016, 05:50 PM

I'll be interested to see how the "offensive vertical cylinder" is officiated. This point of emphasis could significantly affect teams that play tight defense, especially those that trap a lot.

The offensive vertical cylinder is described in the rules video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4hkblhCl-U), starting at the 13:30 mark.

The video clarifies that, as before, "the offensive player must be allowed enough space to make a normal basketball play". The video goes on to clarify that the definition of a normal basketball play will be expanded (beyond dribbling, passing, or shooting) to include "shifting the ball from one side to another" as long as the ball is below the players waist or above his shoulders. Apparently, the officials will look to see whether the offensive player's forearms are primarily vertical or horizontal. If the player's arms are primarily vertical while shifting the ball from one side to the other, any contact will be an defensive foul. If the offensive player's arms are primarily horizontal, contact will result in an offensive foul.

There are two particular examples in the video (at the 15:30 mark and the 17:10 mark) which I find quite interesting.

These examples show an offensive player making contact with a defender's head as the ball is moved from left to right. Previously, I would have expected these to be called as offensive fouls (maybe even flagrant fouls), but the video suggest that these are legal offensive plays because the ball is above the offensive player's shoulders. If anything, these will be defensive fouls for invading the offensive vertical cylinder.

My prediction is that Jay Bilas will be the first announcer to mention the "offensive vertical cylinder" during a Duke game.

By the way, maybe it is just me, but the term "vertical cylinder" makes me think of the "Cone of Silence" from Get Smart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_Silence_(device)

left_hook_lacey
10-27-2016, 08:12 AM
I'll be interested to see how the "offensive vertical cylinder" is officiated. This point of emphasis could significantly affect teams that play tight defense, especially those that trap a lot.

The offensive vertical cylinder is described in the rules video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4hkblhCl-U), starting at the 13:30 mark.

The video clarifies that, as before, "the offensive player must be allowed enough space to make a normal basketball play". The video goes on to clarify that the definition of a normal basketball play will be expanded (beyond dribbling, passing, or shooting) to include "shifting the ball from one side to another" as long as the ball is below the players waist or above his shoulders. Apparently, the officials will look to see whether the offensive player's forearms are primarily vertical or horizontal. If the player's arms are primarily vertical while shifting the ball from one side to the other, any contact will be an defensive foul. If the offensive player's arms are primarily horizontal, contact will result in an offensive foul.

There are two particular examples in the video (at the 15:30 mark and the 17:10 mark) which I find quite interesting.

These examples show an offensive player making contact with a defender's head as the ball is moved from left to right. Previously, I would have expected these to be called as offensive fouls (maybe even flagrant fouls), but the video suggest that these are legal offensive plays because the ball is above the offensive player's shoulders. If anything, these will be defensive fouls for invading the offensive vertical cylinder.

My prediction is that Jay Bilas will be the first announcer to mention the "offensive vertical cylinder" during a Duke game.

By the way, maybe it is just me, but the term "vertical cylinder" makes me think of the "Cone of Silence" from Get Smart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_Silence_(device)

Or the "Cone of Uncertainty" from Jim Cantore