PDA

View Full Version : Louisville receives NOA -- Four Level One violations

Olympic Fan
10-20-2016, 01:25 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-charges-louisville-with-four-level-i-violations-pitino-charged-with-failure-to-monitor/

Note: One less Level One violation than the Cheaters on the Hill ... and no Lack of Institutional Control (again, unlike the Cheaters)

It's not clear if this impacts this season. The school is disputing the fourth allegation -- Pitino's failure to monitor -- but has essentially accepted the other three charges. Louisville has already imposed penalties -- a postseason ban in 2016 and the loss of scholarships.

With 90 days to respond, then 60 days before the NCAA rules and then appeal time, Louisville could push any ruling past this season by using the Cheat strategy to delay, delay, delay.

But I suspect Louisville will try and negotiate a deal, arguing that the self-imposed penalties are enough. I think they will have to accept at least a nine-game suspension for Pitino (the same as Larry Brown and Jim Boeheim got for their programs issues). That might be the one hangup in delaying a settlement.

Tom B.
10-20-2016, 02:32 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-charges-louisville-with-four-level-i-violations-pitino-charged-with-failure-to-monitor/

Note: One less Level One violation than the Cheaters on the Hill ... and no Lack of Institutional Control (again, unlike the Cheaters)

It's not clear if this impacts this season. The school is disputing the fourth allegation -- Pitino's failure to monitor -- but has essentially accepted the other three charges. Louisville has already imposed penalties -- a postseason ban in 2016 and the loss of scholarships.

With 90 days to respond, then 60 days before the NCAA rules and then appeal time, Louisville could push any ruling past this season by using the Cheat strategy to delay, delay, delay.

But I suspect Louisville will try and negotiate a deal, arguing that the self-imposed penalties are enough. I think they will have to accept at least a nine-game suspension for Pitino (the same as Larry Brown and Jim Boeheim got for their programs issues). That might be the one hangup in delaying a settlement.

The way I read it, there were no charges against the institution -- just individuals. The charges are against Pitino, Andre McGee, and former assistant Brandon Williams. McGee and Williams are no longer at Louisville. Pitino could be suspended for some games, but would these charges support any other penalties against the program generally? It's not clear to me that they would.

Perhaps most significantly, it doesn't look like there are any charges that would support a retroactive invalidation of any player's eligibility. If that happened, it could lead to wins being vacated -- but it doesn't look like that's on the table. That's a big deal, because the scandal covered Louisville's 2012-13 title year and included players on that team (Russ Smith and Montrezl Harrell, IIRC -- there may have been others I can't remember).

Between this and the lame amended NOA to Carolina, what it tells me is that the NCAA will never, ever put itself in a position where it might have to vacate a national championship.

fuse
10-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Louisville will settle their situation before UNC addresses theirs. I'd be willing to wager almost anything this is a soon to be fact.

Newton_14
10-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Louisville will settle their situation before UNC addresses theirs. I'd be willing to wager almost anything this is a soon to be fact.

In fairness to Pitino, if he did attend any of those "sessions" he wouldn't have been there long enough to see if any of his assistants, players or recruits were there, so I totally buy his story of not knowing. :)

ipatent
10-20-2016, 10:18 PM
One could argue that the one and done era has reduced the effect of sanctions, a good coach like Pitino, Boeheim or Roy Williams ends up with a bunch of lower rated kids who stay longer, coaches them like the old days and welds them into a team nearly as good as the one he would have had.

Richard Berg
10-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Have faith in the NCAA's prowess to craft punishments that fit the crime. In Louisville's case, I expect no less than: a postseason ban, loss of two scholarships, the suspension of Weber State's volleyball team, and a show-cause penalty against Daniel Ewing.

Olympic Fan
10-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Have faith in the NCAA's prowess to craft punishments that fit the crime. In Louisville's case, I expect no less than: a postseason ban, loss of two scholarships, the suspension of Weber State's volleyball team, and a show-cause penalty against Daniel Ewing.

I know you are writing tongue and cheek, but Louisville's punishment DOES include a postseason ban and the loss to three scholarships (already self-imposed). It looks like the NCAA will accept those penalties against the team. The only question left is whether or not there is an additional penalty against Rick Pitino (and I expected him to get a nine-game suspension).

I think Weber State and Daniel Ewing will dodge the bullet on this one ...