PDA

View Full Version : Calipari thinks about Duke a lot for a guy that says he doesn't think about Duke

nmduke2001
10-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Article about Kentucky but has a lot of Duke information.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17816017/kentucky-coach-john-calipari-says-like-kentucky-not-even-duke-blue-devils

Money quote:
I hate Duke," said Lincoln Hendricks, a 32-year-old Kentucky fan and sales executive. "I've got the shirt that says, 'I still hate Laettner,' and I do. I bet we hate Duke more than Duke cares about us. I don't think that we're on Duke's radar. I think Duke talks about [North] Carolina quite a bit. But I don't think ... we're not relevant [to them], and I think that pisses us off. They ought to hate us because we certainly hate them."

Mike Corey
10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Money quote:
I hate Duke," said Lincoln Hendricks, a 32-year-old Kentucky fan and sales executive. "I've got the shirt that says, 'I still hate Laettner,' and I do. I bet we hate Duke more than Duke cares about us. I don't think that we're on Duke's radar. I think Duke talks about [North] Carolina quite a bit. But I don't think ... we're not relevant [to them], and I think that pisses us off. They ought to hate us because we certainly hate them."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dQ5j26OXRu8/T2Z8ijj_IBI/AAAAAAAAA1g/0EBhVgyRbpQ/s1600/tom-cruise-sunglasses.gif

flyingdutchdevil
10-19-2016, 02:34 PM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17816017/kentucky-coach-john-calipari-says-like-kentucky-not-even-duke-blue-devils

Money quote:

It's a great article. Doesn't put Kentucky in a negative or positive light; just lays out what and how Calipari thinks.

I love that quote as well. And it's true. I don't like Kentucky, but I don't lose sleep over them. The Duke-Kentucky thing kinda reminds me of Harvard-Yale: Yale thinks they're better, Harvard knows they're better. :)

weezie
10-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Ooooo, neato-keeno...Cal hangs with Drake and Future. Such a cool dude! I lost interest after that in, what, the first sentence?

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-19-2016, 03:08 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dQ5j26OXRu8/T2Z8ijj_IBI/AAAAAAAAA1g/0EBhVgyRbpQ/s1600/tom-cruise-sunglasses.gif

Love, Ima

newclasspack
10-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Money quote:
I hate Duke," said Lincoln Hendricks, a 32-year-old Kentucky fan and sales executive. "I've got the shirt that says, 'I still hate Laettner,' and I do. I bet we hate Duke more than Duke cares about us. I don't think that we're on Duke's radar. I think Duke talks about [North] Carolina quite a bit. But I don't think ... we're not relevant [to them], and I think that pisses us off. They ought to hate us because we certainly hate them."What kinda of self burn is this?

BD80
10-19-2016, 04:18 PM
What kinda of self burn is this?

The truth

Ichabod Drain
10-19-2016, 04:19 PM
The Duke-Kentucky thing kinda reminds me of Harvard-Yale: Yale thinks they're better, Harvard knows they're better. :)

Shhhhhhhh..... What if Wendell Carter reads this board! :rolleyes:

Billy Dat
10-19-2016, 04:57 PM
It's a fantastic article. Cal really wears his heart on his sleeve and I think it bugs him that K doesn't acknowledge his accomplishments, which K certainly noticed and got his competitive juices boiling. K is a fierce warrior and I think he'd never let slip any praise of Cal while he is still fighting him for primacy in D1. I think when he steps away, their relationship will probably deepen.

newclasspack
10-19-2016, 05:10 PM
It's a fantastic article. Cal really wears his heart on his sleeve and I think it bugs him that K doesn't acknowledge his accomplishments, which K certainly noticed and got his competitive juices boiling. K is a fierce warrior and I think he'd never let slip any praise of Cal while he is still fighting him for primacy in D1. I think when he steps away, their relationship will probably deepen.Isn't that pretty much what happened with V? K couldn't stand him when he was coaching but when he left State they became pretty chummy and then when V got Sick they got real close.

757Dukie
10-19-2016, 05:35 PM
it was ok when K starting do it better :cool:

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Isn't that pretty much what happened with V? K couldn't stand him when he was coaching but when he left State they became pretty chummy and then when V got Sick they got real close.

Nope.
Love, Ima

OldPhiKap
10-19-2016, 06:27 PM

Money quote:

"Not our rival"

Heh.

sagegrouse
10-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Isn't that pretty much what happened with V? K couldn't stand him when he was coaching but when he left State they became pretty chummy and then when V got Sick they got real close.

My belief is that the coaches mostly like each other. There may be some rivalry and jealousy, but there is a lot of professional admiration within the ranks of ACC coaches. It doesn't air because the fans wouldn't really understand it.

OldPhiKap
10-19-2016, 06:37 PM
My belief is that the coaches mostly like each other. There may be some rivalry and jealousy, but there is a lot of professional admiration within the ranks of ACC coaches. It doesn't air because the fans wouldn't really understand it.

I was sitting about court side at the '89 ACC Championship game in the Omni, when K yelled "F U, Dean!" after Dean tried to scold K. I don't think there was any love there until after Dean retired.

AFAIK, K competed hard with Valvano and Cremmins but it was purely professional competition.

Indoor66
10-19-2016, 06:42 PM
I was sitting about court side at the '89 ACC Championship game in the Omni, when K yelled "F U, Dean!" after Dean tried to scold K. I don't think there was any love there until after Dean retired.

AFAIK, K competed hard with Valvano and Cremmins but it was purely professional competition.

IRRC, Cremins & K were tennis partners at ACC events.

sagegrouse
10-19-2016, 06:55 PM
IRRC, Cremins & K were tennis partners at ACC events.

FWIW, when K missed all that time 21 years ago, Mickie said that Bobby called almost every day to see what he could do for Mike, and she commented that he probably would have cleaned her house if she had asked him.

OldPhiKap
10-19-2016, 07:29 PM
FWIW, when K missed all that time 21 years ago, Mickie said that Bobby called almost every day to see what he could do for Mike, and she commented that he probably would have cleaned her house if she had asked him.

Great story, thanks. I've never heard anyone say a bad word against Bobby C. (Well, except us in Cameron on game day).

newclasspack
10-19-2016, 07:40 PM

AFAIK, K competed hard with Valvano and Cremmins but it was purely professional competition.i just remember from the 30 for 30 about K saying that when he first met V he didn't like him very much

sagegrouse
10-19-2016, 08:01 PM
i just remember from the 30 for 30 about K saying that when he first met V he didn't like him very much

Didn't they play each other in college -- V at Rutgers and K at West Point?

WVDUKEFAN
10-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Cal can say what he wants. He's got Duke on the brain. K's doing everything as good, if not better than Cal. K won with his "one and done" players and he may very well do it again this year. All I can say is Cal had the best 38-1 team to ever take the floor. Give that team to K, and he would have won it. I would cheer for North Carolina before I would Kentucky. Kentucky fans have to be the most arrogant in all of college basketball.

COYS
10-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Cal can say what he wants. He's got Duke on the brain. K's doing everything as good, if not better than Cal. K won with his "one and done" players and he may very well do it again this year. All I can say is Cal had the best 38-1 team to ever take the floor. Give that team to K, and he would have won it. I would cheer for North Carolina before I would Kentucky. Kentucky fans have to be the most arrogant in all of college basketball.

I love K. I'm glad he's Duke's coach and not Cal. But I think it's a stretch to say that K would definitely have won in 2015 with UK's roster. Duke's own '99 team is proof that anything can happen in a single elimination tournament. And it's worth noting that the Wiscy team that beat UK was really, really good. We just happened to be a better matchup for them.

TKG
10-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Really want to push that Hendricks guy over the edge? Remind him that when Laettner won the Rupp Award he was made an honorary Kentucky Colonel.

devildeac
10-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Really want to push that Hendricks guy over the edge? Remind him that when Laettner won the Rupp Award he was made an honorary Kentucky Colonel.

There might not be enough bourbon on The Trail for that one.

But, it'd be worth a try :D .

mark34
10-20-2016, 04:50 PM
You guys need to read The Legends Club (Feinstein). Fascinating, particularly to those of us at Duke during those days. It will give you clear perspective on the relationships between these ACC coaches.

Mark

BriantheBlogger
10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
http://www.dukeblogger.com/person-perpetuating-duke-kentucky-rivalry-john-calipari/

davekay1971
10-24-2016, 02:06 PM
i just remember from the 30 for 30 about K saying that when he first met V he didn't like him very much

He did say that. And I've heard a few other quotes from K over the years about how, when he was a young guy in this league he had such a competitive edge that it affected how he handled his relationships with some of the other coaches. He has also talked about how he has changed over the years and has gotten away from that. With V, however, I think they had already developed an amicable relationship of mutual respect well before V got sick. They became much closer, of course, as did their families, after V was in Duke Hospital and K came to visit him.

I love the story of those two and their growth as friends.

BLPOG
10-24-2016, 02:38 PM
He did say that. And I've heard a few other quotes from K over the years about how, when he was a young guy in this league he had such a competitive edge that it affected how he handled his relationships with some of the other coaches. He has also talked about how he has changed over the years and has gotten away from that. With V, however, I think they had already developed an amicable relationship of mutual respect well before V got sick. They became much closer, of course, as did their families, after V was in Duke Hospital and K came to visit him.

I love the story of those two and their growth as friends.

I seem to recall that at the very least they had bonded early over mutual enmity with Dean Smith. Wasn't there some story about them hiding in a men's room so that they could enter a meeting after Dean (who usually showed up late)?

MChambers
10-24-2016, 03:01 PM
I seem to recall that at the very least they had bonded early over mutual enmity with Dean Smith. Wasn't there some story about them hiding in a men's room so that they could enter a meeting after Dean (who usually showed up late)?

It's in one of Feinstein's books. It was K, V, and Cremins.

newclasspack
10-24-2016, 03:45 PM
It's in one of Feinstein's books. It was K, V, and Cremins.
I miss Cremins

-jk
10-24-2016, 06:56 PM
I miss Cremins

(Our) Bill Foster Was Cremins before Cremins...

-jk

DavidBenAkiva
10-24-2016, 07:29 PM
I want to preface this with what should be an obvious statement. Kentucky has put a ton of talent into the NBA lately. Like, many good and possibly great players. DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, etc. There is not denying this.

On the flip side, going to UK is not a guarantee of success. The latest case includes Archie Goodwin, who just got released from the Phoenix Suns after three mostly unremarkable seasons. Goodwin is athletic, but he can't shoot (23.2% from range last season) in a shooters league.

James Young just heard his GM say this about him after barely making the roster of the Celtics, the team that drafted him 2 years ago: "This is probably the first time you've earned something in your life (https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/790610700838309888)." For a kid known as a good shooter coming out of high school, Young has not shown it in his short NBA career and looks to be buried on the bench of one of the deeper teams in the NBA.

If the appeal of UK is putting kids into the NBA, you have to wonder how many stories like Goodwin and Young it's going to take to permanently scar their reputation on the recruiting trail. Sure, kids are getting drafted, but they certainly don't look like they are prepared to succeed.

moonpie23
10-24-2016, 09:32 PM
i've managed to stay on the UK Cats Pause board for some time now....WAY longer than on the IC board.....

the UK folks have real acid indigestion about 2015.....in fact....2010 as well.....

just the mere mention that we were waiting for them both times, and all they had to do was get there so they could "dominate" us infuriates them......

it's really harsh when it comes up... :)

OldPhiKap
10-24-2016, 09:34 PM
i've managed to stay on the UK Cats Pause board for some time now...WAY longer than on the IC board....

the UK folks have real acid indigestion about 2015....in fact...2010 as well....

just the mere mention that we were waiting for them both times, and all they had to do was get there so they could "dominate" us infuriates them...

it's really harsh when it comes up... :)

Try telling them "Pitino would have gotten that talent to the Final"

DavidBenAkiva
10-24-2016, 10:22 PM
I want to preface this with what should be an obvious statement. Kentucky has put a ton of talent into the NBA lately. Like, many good and possibly great players. DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, etc. There is not denying this.

On the flip side, going to UK is not a guarantee of success. The latest case includes Archie Goodwin, who just got released from the Phoenix Suns after three mostly unremarkable seasons. Goodwin is athletic, but he can't shoot (23.2% from range last season) in a shooters league.

James Young just heard his GM say this about him after barely making the roster of the Celtics, the team that drafted him 2 years ago: "This is probably the first time you've earned something in your life (https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/790610700838309888)." For a kid known as a good shooter coming out of high school, Young has not shown it in his short NBA career and looks to be buried on the bench of one of the deeper teams in the NBA.

If the appeal of UK is putting kids into the NBA, you have to wonder how many stories like Goodwin and Young it's going to take to permanently scar their reputation on the recruiting trail. Sure, kids are getting drafted, but they certainly don't look like they are prepared to succeed.

Other players from UK that burned out in the NBA:

Daniel Orton
DeAndre Liggins
Josh Harrellson
Marquis Teague
Darius Miller
Doron Lamb

That doesn't even include the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, or the various players that have been forced to transfer (Marcus Lee anyone?) along the way.

Duke isn't without its history of players that didn't succeed or make it in the NBA, even if they were McDonald's All-Americans. Nolan Smith was a 1st rounder that didn't last in the NBA. Jon Scheyer and, to a lesser extent, Brian Zoubek. Quinn Cook and Andre Dawkins haven't made it to the league (yet) either. Of course, these guys weren't recruited to Duke with the expectation or even promise that they would be one and done players and that the NBA was the goal.

moonpie23
10-24-2016, 10:47 PM
looks like 22 dukies in the league (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/alumni-tracker/school/5156)

Ichabod Drain
10-24-2016, 11:01 PM
looks like 22 dukies in the league (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/alumni-tracker/school/5156)

Brand retired and Kelly is in the D-league. Not sure what Ryan's contract structure is though.

BriantheBlogger
10-25-2016, 01:39 PM
I would say that with some of the Dukies mentioned it was health that curtailed them. Zoubek played with a lot of pain and had to give it up, Nolan was oft injured as well. Scheyer was playing well but the eye injury was it for him. Quinn is close (last time I checked) to making the Pelicans roster. Your point is still valid though, with every programs successes there are those that don't quite reach that summit.

Daniel Orton
DeAndre Liggins
Josh Harrellson
Marquis Teague
Darius Miller
Doron Lamb

That doesn't even include the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, or the various players that have been forced to transfer (Marcus Lee anyone?) along the way.

Duke isn't without its history of players that didn't succeed or make it in the NBA, even if they were McDonald's All-Americans. Nolan Smith was a 1st rounder that didn't last in the NBA. Jon Scheyer and, to a lesser extent, Brian Zoubek. Quinn Cook and Andre Dawkins haven't made it to the league (yet) either. Of course, these guys weren't recruited to Duke with the expectation or even promise that they would be one and done players and that the NBA was the goal.

flyingdutchdevil
10-25-2016, 01:47 PM
I would say that with some of the Dukies mentioned it was health that curtailed them. Zoubek played with a lot of pain and had to give it up, Nolan was oft injured as well. Scheyer was playing well but the eye injury was it for him. Quinn is close (last time I checked) to making the Pelicans roster. Your point is still valid though, with every programs successes there are those that don't quite reach that summit.

Zoubek wasn't made for the NBA. Nolan's skills weren't transferable. Scheyer did have that eye issue. Duke is not immune, and those players are decent (but not great) examples.

The thing about Duke is that they haven't had a clear-cut bust who was OAD in the modern era (or ever). Austin Rivers is the only close call, but it turns out he just needed to play for his dad to become a serviceable back-up SG. But like every school, Duke has definitely had NBA busts. The examples are more upperclassmen than OADs.

Ichabod Drain
10-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Daniel Orton
DeAndre Liggins
Josh Harrellson
Marquis Teague
Darius Miller
Doron Lamb

Liggins just beat out Dahntay Jones for the last spot on the Cavs.