PDA

View Full Version : 80,000 seats?

Bluedawg
10-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Keenen is loooking to expand and are considering going from 60,000 to 65,000, 70,000, 75,000, or even 80,000 seats.

"It's a good question, and it will be a big debate," Baddour said. "What we've asked the consultants to do is show us various levels of 65,000; 70,000; 75,000, 80,000 -- I can't imagine it going to 80,000 -- but there's a point where you don't have a hard ticket and you can't fill it. So that challenge for us is to find a number that we can fill the stadium, and ... that can provide the revenue to renovate and improve the stadium as well as continue to support the other sports programs."

"If you look at all of the programs in the country that are trying to be strong in football, men's and women's basketball, women's soccer and whatever, they've got a 90,000, 100,000, 110,000 [capacity] football stadium," Baddour said. "... If you look 50 years down the road, you have to say, 'In order to maintain this 28-sport program, we're going to have to have a larger football stadium.' That's what I see." [source (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/730550.html) ]

could this area support a 80,000 or larger stadium?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Keenen is loooking to expand and are considering going from 60,000 to 65,000, 70,000, 75,000, or even 80,000 seats.

could this area support a 80,000 or larger stadium?

Well, if we lower the field and get rid of the track, and then put a second deck all the way around Wallace Wade, we could probably get close to 100,000 seats. Filling it with live bodies rooting for Duke is another matter. Bring in the surviving Beatles, the living Stones (not sure if this includes Kieth Richards or not :) ), a couple of the hot country stars and maybe another contemporary music star or two, and yeah, the area can support it once or twice a year. But for football? Nah.

jimsumner
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Given the size of the UNC student body.
Given the size of the UNC alumni,
Given the size of the UNC subway alumni
Given the size of the Triangle and the likelihood of the Triangle continuing to grow indefinitely.
Given the demographics of all the above.

Yes, think a successful UNC football program could fill an 80,000 seat stadium six times a year. A 3-9 team? Probably not. But, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but UNC football has long been regarded as a sleeping giant and I suspect they have the right guy to awaken the giant from his slumber.

Now, if you ask me where all these folks are going to park, then I got nothing.

duke2x
10-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Even at the peak of the Mack Brown era, UNC couldn't fill its current 62K stadium for lesser games. I don't see them filling the stadium with 80K 6 times a year under any circumstances. The fanbase is too fairweather for lesser opponents. You could probably draw 80K easily for big games like NCSU, UVA, VT, etc. if the team is 0.500 or better.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
It's a chicken/egg thing. If you put a good product on the field year after year, folks will want to come. If you have a huge crowd, you have a better home field advantage.

UNC could probably pull off an expansion. Duke could certainly improve on Wally Wade, but our fanbase and alums are scattered nationally moreso than most state schools so it is hard to fill it with fans. But I grew tired of constantly being outnumbered by opposing fans at home games, and that was 20 years ago. I'm doubting it's gotten much better although I'd be glad to be corrected on that point.

Duke needs to make a major investment in its football program, or else drop down to Div. II in football if it can work a deal with the ACC. Our current situation is untenable, and that's not the fault of the kids on the field or (IMO) the coach on the sideline.

throatybeard
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
We call it the FDA principle. If you expand it, they will come.

Jim, don't worry about the parking. In 1998, local officials said they'd have light rail built all over the Triangle by 2003. That happened, right? :D

Devilsfan
10-09-2007, 06:11 PM
This area could support a venue of this size possibly for major concerts, but only in Heal fans dreams for a sporting event. That is unless they plan on landing the Super Bowl.

devildeac
10-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, if we lower the field and get rid of the track, and then put a second deck all the way around Wallace Wade, we could probably get close to 100,000 seats. Filling it with live bodies rooting for Duke is another matter. Bring in the surviving Beatles, the living Stones (not sure if this includes Kieth Richards or not :) ), a couple of the hot country stars and maybe another contemporary music star or two, and yeah, the area can support it once or twice a year. But for football? Nah.

You may wish to include Charlie Watts in the 'not sure if they are living Stones';)

SmartDevil
10-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Well, if we lower the field and get rid of the track, and then put a second deck all the way around Wallace Wade, we could probably get close to 100,000 seats. Filling it with live bodies rooting for Duke is another matter. .....

Typo inquiry....Is that "live bodies" or "five bodies?" ;)

Bluedawg
10-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Given the size of the UNC student body.
Given the size of the UNC alumni,
Given the size of the UNC subway alumni
Given the size of the Triangle and the likelihood of the Triangle continuing to grow indefinitely.
Given the demographics of all the above.

Yes, think a successful UNC football program could fill an 80,000 seat stadium six times a year. A 3-9 team? Probably not. But, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but UNC football has long been regarded as a sleeping giant and I suspect they have the right guy to awaken the giant from his slumber.

Now, if you ask me where all these folks are going to park, then I got nothing.

You are correct and i considered this when i read the article. However, i think that NC State and Duke also have the right people to "wake" them from their slumber. I believe, and hope, that within the next 2-4 years the top 5 teams in the ACC will include three from the triangle area.

Given that, and with the proximity of the three Universities can one of them support an 80,000 and maybe plus if you read all of his comments, stadium?

jimsumner
10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
"I believe, and hope, that within the next 2-4 years the top 5 teams in the ACC will include three from the triangle area."

Hope? Okay. Believe? An awfully optimistic assessment. I hope you're correct. I believe you won't be.

throatybeard
10-10-2007, 11:08 AM
80K. Filling it? Maybe if State and Carolina merge to form one large Minnesota-esque North Carolina U.

jimsumner
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
"Maybe if State and Carolina merge to form one large Minnesota-esque North Carolina U."

Now that's an image. Anybody know what color you get when you combine light blue and red? Seriously, I'm artistically challenged.

DevilAlumna
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
"Maybe if State and Carolina merge to form one large Minnesota-esque North Carolina U."

Now that's an image. Anybody know what color you get when you combine light blue and red? Seriously, I'm artistically challenged.

I'm guessing it'd look like something you'd find in a baby's diaper.... :eek:

OldPhiKap
10-10-2007, 01:08 PM
^ "If God wasn't a Mega-lina fan, why did he make the sunset puce?"

The Gordog
10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Blue and Red make purple, so with light blue it would make sort of a maroon I'd guess.

Devilsfan
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
What does baby blue jerseys mixed with red ink make? Higher tuition for them and higher taxes for everyone, I guess.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2007, 03:19 PM
"The Valvano-Smith Center" DOES have a nice ring to it. And they could do tractor pulls at half-time, so that's a plus.