PDA

View Full Version : Coach Cut peer respect

nmduke2001
10-15-2016, 11:28 AM
ESPN has been surveying college coaches about other college coaches. A few weeks ago the question was "what coach gets the most out of their players?" With 100 coaches surveyed, Coach Cut was second. Today, the question was, "who would you least like to play if they had a bye week to prepare for you?" Coach Cut was third.

YmoBeThere
10-16-2016, 07:52 AM
ESPN has been surveying college coaches about other college coaches. A few weeks ago the question was "what coach gets the most out of their players?" With 100 coaches surveyed, Coach Cut was second. Today, the question was, "who would you least like to play if they had a bye week to prepare for you?" Coach Cut was third.

The fix is in. Who was ranked ahead of Coach Cutcliffe?

OldPhiKap
10-16-2016, 07:57 AM

Good find NM'01 (and hope all has been well since we met at the Sun Bowl -- that was a fun game).

Devilwin
10-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Confession time:
I fussed and fussed about the ball control run up the middle offense employed against Louisville. In hindsight, the strategy was nothing short of brilliant.
I hereby stand corrected. The man is a genius. We had a chance to win, when in all truth, they could have blown us out. Couple of calls go our way (the phantom whistle when we recovered the fumble deep in their end for one), and we got a chance for victory.
He gets the best from his guys, more so than any other coach. He just may be the best coach Duke has had in the modern era. And that includes Spurrier..

Jarhead
10-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Confession time:
I fussed and fussed about the ball control run up the middle offense employed against Louisville. In hindsight, the strategy was nothing short of brilliant.
I hereby stand corrected. The man is a genius. We had a chance to win, when in all truth, they could have blown us out. Couple of calls go our way (the phantom whistle when we recovered the fumble deep in their end for one), and we got a chance for victory.
He gets the best from his guys, more so than any other coach. He just may be the best coach Duke has had in the modern era. And that includes Spurrier..

In my view, Coach Cut is second only to Wallace Wade, but gaining, and Spurrier third.

weezie
10-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Saw an NFL Network promo for this Wed, 10/19 8:00pm "Peyton's Summer Camp" to feature a lot of Cut.

sagegrouse
10-18-2016, 12:27 AM
In my view, Coach Cut is second only to Wallace Wade, but gaining, and Spurrier third.

Under Coach Bill Murray, Duke won the ACC championship six times (including tied with the Terps in two seasons). Duke also won the Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl.

OldPhiKap
10-18-2016, 07:01 AM
Under Coach Bill Murray, Duke won the ACC championship six times (including tied with the Terps in two seasons). Duke also won the Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl.

And he was pretty good in Caddyshack too.

I would also put Wade and Murray ahead of Cut at present, and would argue that Cut has done much more for Duke than Spurrier (who I really like). And Cut's not done.

jv001
10-18-2016, 08:19 AM

I remember complaining about Coach Murray's 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. I have come to respect Coach over the years. Especially the very lean years. I'd go Murray, Spurrier and then Cut. But it's close from one to three. GoDuke!

Devilwin
10-18-2016, 04:15 PM
I agree with Murray, but we must realize how the landscape has changed in college football recruiting. It's harder to find Notre Dame/Stanford types nowadays that would rather come to Duke. That's why Cut deserves so much credit, making Duke very respectable under today's conditions.
That being said, I don't agree with everything he does, but I don't think we would agree with every little thing anyone does..:cool:

OldPhiKap
10-18-2016, 04:59 PM
I agree with Murray, but we must realize how the landscape has changed in college football recruiting. It's harder to find Notre Dame/Stanford types nowadays that would rather come to Duke. That's why Cut deserves so much credit, making Duke very respectable under today's conditions.
That being said, I don't agree with everything he does, but I don't think we would agree with every little thing anyone does..:cool:

And I would add that Duke was an historically strong team at the time Murray took over -- or at least in semi-recent memory. Cut took over at a time when several suggested just scrapping football because we could never compete, and had struggled mightily for decades before.

I would still say:

1. Wade
2. Murray
3. Cut (and climbing)
4. Spurrier
5. Eddie Cameron, I guess
# Rest.

But I will not fight anyone for saying that Cut should be higher than he is. I can make that argument too.

rasputin
10-18-2016, 05:20 PM
And I would add that Duke was an historically strong team at the time Murray took over -- or at least in semi-recent memory. Cut took over at a time when several suggested just scrapping football because we could never compete, and had struggled mightily for decades before.

I would still say:

1. Wade
2. Murray
3. Cut (and climbing)
4. Spurrier
5. Eddie Cameron, I guess
# Rest.

But I will not fight anyone for saying that Cut should be higher than he is. I can make that argument too.

Red means Go.

devildeac
10-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Red means Go.

Red must go.

killerleft
10-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Spurrier was great, but let's remember that the class that made his success much easier was recruited by Steve Sloan's staff. His recruiting coordinator was Tommy Limbaugh.

I'd put Cutcliffe ahead of Spurrier. Getting past Wade and Murray will still take some work.

sagegrouse
10-18-2016, 06:20 PM
And I would add that Duke was an historically strong team at the time Murray took over -- or at least in semi-recent memory. .

No question. Duke was a big name in college football when Murray took over in 1950. Nevertheless, Wallace Wade's team did not do especially well in the years after World War II. The T formation was the latest thing in the post-war years, and Wade was reportedly behind the times. Murray's first five teams had a record of 35-12-4; Wade's last five teams (1945-1949) had a record of 25-17-4, although his best post-war record was his last season (7-3).