PDA

View Full Version : ACC FB: Week 7

Olympic Fan
10-12-2016, 05:38 PM
My contention is that Hurricane Matthew distorted a lot of what happened last week. There were three games played in the Triangle last Saturday in the storm that featured six teams -- five of them excellent passing teams (two of them -- Notre Dame and UNC -- among the best passing teams in college football). None of the six teams managed to pass for 100 yards.

It looks like things get back to normal this week.

Friday
Duke at Louisville (7 pm, ESPN)

Saturday
NC State at Clemson (noon, ABC)
Pitt at Virginia (12:30 pm, ACC Network)
Georgia Southern at Georgia Tech (12:30 pm, RSN)
North Carolina at Miami (3:30 pm, ABC/ESPN2)
Wake Forest at Florida State (3:30 pm, ESPN)
Virginia Tech at Syracuse (3:45 pm, ESPNU)

Virginia Tech could pretty much clinch the Coastal Division in the next six days). They want Miami to give UNC its second ACC loss, then they can give Miami its second ACC loss next Thursday night in Blacksburg. Do that (and beat Syracuse Saturday) and they have a two-game lead in the standings over their two toughest rivals -- and a tiebreraker win over both. Oh, I guess Pitt could sneak in with a win the next Thursday night at Pitt, but the Panthers also have a game at Clemson coming up (and at Miami), so I think they lose a couple more. Plus Virginia is still 1-0 in the ACC, but they are going to lose 3-4 league games for sure.

Going to be a great passing show in Miami -- Trubisky vs. Kaaya.

Overlooked game in Atlanta. Paul Johnson won four FCS national championships at Georgia Southern (two as Offensive coordinator; two as head coach). They still run the option offense that he installed. Two years ago, his Coastal Division champs scored with 23 seconds left to edge GSU 42-38. Today, Johnson said the GSU returns almost all the offensive starters off that team.

BTW: I just took a look at the ACC's bowl situation. The league has 12 bowl tie-ins -- two provisional, 10 solid. That doesn't count the possibility of getting a team in the playoffs ... if two teams make it (possible this year) then the ACC could have as many as 14 bowl spots.

Of course, the ACC won't have 14 bowl eligible teams -- not even counting Notre Dame, which can sneak into one of the ACC's minor spots. Just looking at schedules, I can't see Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse or Duke getting to six wins. It's going to be tough, but possible for Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. Everybody else should make it.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-13-2016, 05:17 PM
All that's well and good, but when we beat carolina, VT, Pitt and Miami, what's that do to your analysis? :cool:

Olympic Fan
10-13-2016, 06:52 PM
All that's well and good, but when we beat carolina, VT, Pitt and Miami, what's that do to your analysis? :cool:

It would make me delighted to come back here and apologize for being so wrong!

Avvocato
10-14-2016, 04:48 PM
I have to say, it's amazing watching the evolution of ACC football the past 5 years or so. In the mid-2000's, FSU, Clemson and Miami were down. Va. Tech was the only nationally relevant team, but it couldn't beat the big boys nationally, and the ACC got pounded out of conference. When the conference realignment dance was going on, driven by football, there was talk of the ACC folding with the football schools being raided and the rest running for cover. ACC football was always disrespected, and the better teams always had to defend the conference. FSU started to rise first followed by Clemson. But the strength of a conference is it's depth, and this year Louisville has joined the party. Miami and Va. Tech are rebounding. As much as I hate to say it, UNC is nationally relevant. Plus, Duke has become a player (which is still mind blowing), Pittsburgh, NC State, etc. The ACC now has nationally meaningful games, championship contenders, exciting match-ups and is winning big out of conference games. It's fun to watch. Even last year, the talk was always that the ACC champion would need to be undefeated to make the College Playoffs. Now, they talk of the possibility of having two ACC teams in the playoff. This was unheard of even a year ago (it won't happen, in my opinion, but the fact that it's even being discussed is a win for the ACC). A sign of a strong conference is when one of its heavyweights has a down year, other teams step up. FSU may be down a little, but Clemson and Louisville (and possibly Va Tech), or even others, are there to hold the ACC flag. A lot of that is due to great coaching hires. It's also due to these things just being cyclical. A few years ago the Big Ten was a joke. Now, they challenge the SEC for conference supremacy. The Pac 12 and Big 12 are now down (though Washington looks legit). These things go around. In any case, it's been an amazing transformation of ACC football, and I think it's been fun to watch. There seem to be fun games every week. I'm really enjoying it.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Clemson running back Gallman out of the game after a taking a hard helmet to helmet hit* from State defensive back. I'll be surprised if he returns.

* No flag on the play.

Video clip: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17799882

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Heavy rain in Miami:

Brett Friedlander ‏@BFriedACC 4m4 minutes ago Cary, NC
Brett Friedlander Retweeted Trent Aric
Bad news for #UNC after last weeks rainy debacle

Trent Aric @TrentAricTV
Southern Broward and some areas of Northern Miami-Dade receiving heavy rain is afternoon

chrishoke
10-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Heavy rain in Miami:

LOL. Cheater kryptonite.

devildeac
10-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Clemson running back Gallman out of the game after a taking a hard helmet to helmet hit* from State defensive back. I'll be surprised if he returns.

* No flag on the play.

Video clip: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17799882

Word on the street is that Deondre Singleton will have to sit out the first half of the GT game for that hit/non-call referenced above. :mad:

Tripping William
10-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Shootout in C'ville. 35-28 Pitt at the half.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Shootout in C'ville. 35-28 Pitt at the half.

After combining for 63 points in the 1st half, no points are scored in the 3rd quarter.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2016, 03:36 PM
State makes this first down, they get the last shot . . .

sagegrouse
10-15-2016, 03:47 PM
State makes this first down, they get the last shot . . .

OMG OMG OMG ... He missed the game-winning field goal.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2016, 03:49 PM
OMG OMG OMG ... He missed the game-winning field goal.

{}#{{}# }}#{}}#{}#%<>. <?}#%>#%^%<~>%~

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Heartbreaking miss for State. Has FG kicking somehow become more difficult this year? Will be tough to rally in OT.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Tough way to lose a game, State. Hate it for you.

ipatent
10-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Feel bad for the NC State kicker. Clemson was lucky. They'll have to pick it up to beat FSU on the 29th.

jv001
10-15-2016, 04:10 PM
My number one team(Duke) and number two team(State) lose because of the kicking game. Our miss and then the personal foul on the missed field goal attempt in our game and then State misses a makeable field goal. What a weekend. Well maybe the cheats will lose. GoDuke!

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Well maybe the cheats will lose.

Halftime: Carolina 20, Miami 3. Carolina gets the ball first in the 2nd half.

Olympic Fan
10-15-2016, 05:29 PM
What a great game -- tough to lose when your kicker misses a 33-yard kick from right in front of the uprights.

Great performance by NC State, but Clemson helped a lot -- the two fumbles lost inside the State 5 in the third quarter gave the Pack a chance. Still, I thought State won both lines of scrimmage.

The Pitt-Virginia game turned on the last play of the first half. The Virginia quarterback -- who has been shredding Pitt's defense -- throws an interception near midfield and Pitt's Whitfield makes a great
return for the go-ahead TD. Then Pitt dominated the second half.

I can't watch Miami-UNC ... the Hurricanes are playing so stupid, it's like they are trying to hand the game to the Cheats. It started on the opening kickoff, when the Miami receiver catches the ball out of bounds at the three.

Syracuse is dominating Virginia Tech in the first half, but Eric Dungey was hurt just before halftime. we'll see how that plays out.

And Wake is hanging in with FSU at the half, down just 10-3. It could have been 17-3, but on the last play of the half, FSU's Travis Randolph catches a 59-yard Hail-Mary at the three and can't quite fight his way into the end zone.

Tripping William
10-15-2016, 07:03 PM
VPISU on the ropes at the Cuse

sagegrouse
10-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Great performance by NC State, but Clemson helped a lot -- the two fumbles lost inside the State 5 in the third quarter gave the Pack a chance. Still, I thought State won both lines of scrimmage.Seriously. The announcers doubted that Clemson would run on third-and-one because State's run defense was so dominant. Can't make one yard? At home? And you're aiming to be the college football champions?

Olympic Fan
10-15-2016, 07:44 PM
The late afternoon games really broke in favor of the Cheats ...

Lame effort from the 'Canes allows them to get to 3-1 in the ACC and an inexplicable loss by the Hokies -- the one team to beat UNC -- pits the Heels back on top ion the Coastal.

It's an illusion -- Virginia Tech also has one ACC loss and they still have the tiebreaker against UNC.

But UNC is already through the tough part of its ACC schedule -- FSU, Miami, Pitt and Virginia Tech.

The Hokies still have some tough ones to go -- especially Miami Thursday night in Blacksburg. They also have to go to Pitt.

UNC's toughest remaining game is the finale against NC State ... although I'd love to think the Blue Devils could spoil their season.

Tripping William
10-15-2016, 07:46 PM
The late afternoon games really broke in favor of the Cheats ...

Lame effort from the 'Canes allows them to get to 3-1 in the ACC and an inexplicable loss by the Hokies -- the one team to beat UNC -- pits the Heels back on top ion the Coastal.

It's an illusion -- Virginia Tech also has one ACC loss and they still have the tiebreaker against UNC.

But UNC is already through the tough part of its ACC schedule -- FSU, Miami, Pitt and Virginia Tech.

The Hokies still have some tough ones to go -- especially Miami Thursday night in Blacksburg. They also have to go to Pitt.

UNC's toughest remaining game is the finale against NC State ... although I'd love to think the Blue Devils could spoil their season.

After last night's performance, I have to believe Duke will have some say in this race (whether it's as to VPISU, UNC, or otherwise).

ipatent
10-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Seriously. The announcers doubted that Clemson would run on third-and-one because State's run defense was so dominant. Can't make one yard? At home? And you're aiming to be the college football champions?

Apparently Gallman left the game injured...critical they get him back in two weeks for FSU.

devildeac
10-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Last Saturday=perfection with Duke, Wake, NCSU all winning and the cheaters losing big.

This week/Saturday=bite me with Duke, Wake, NCSU all losing and the lying, cheating bastards from chappaheeya winning. :mad:

OldPhiKap
10-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Last Saturday=perfection with Duke, Wake, NCSU all winning and the cheaters losing big.

This week/Saturday=bite me with Duke, Wake, NCSU all losing and the lying, cheating bastards from chappaheeya winning. :mad:

I blame the deep-fried cheeseburgers at the State Fair.