PDA

View Full Version : FB: Louisville 24, Duke 14

richardjackson199
10-10-2016, 05:24 AM
The line is Louisville by 32.

It's time for the biggest win in the history of the program, again.

Shock the world!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Shock the world!
Works for me! LGD GTHc! Beat Louisville!

richardjackson199
10-10-2016, 08:47 AM
on ESPN. Prime time.
Cut lives for these big games.
Daniel Jones - be huge, and show them you're the stuff legends are made of.
We have nothing to lose. Play loose, smart, aggressive, and have fun.

Could be fun.

devildeac
10-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Line this AM: L'ville -29.

Go Devils.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Line this AM: L'ville -29.

Go Devils.

Smart money pouring in for the Devils!!!!

Bob Green
10-10-2016, 03:08 PM
I'll set the over/under on Duke pass attempts at 50 and take the over. Go five wide and throw the ball perhaps Daniel Jones can find some seams in the Louisville defense.

devildeac
10-10-2016, 03:50 PM
I'll set the over/under on Duke pass attempts at 50 and take the over. Go five wide and throw the ball perhaps Daniel Jones can find some seams in the Louisville defense.

I'd be more than happy with a final of 70-63 in our favor. :rolleyes:

Devilwin
10-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Need another effort like against Notre Dame, only better. Jackson may be the nation's best qb.

Pghdukie
10-10-2016, 06:20 PM
CBS and Veg Ins have Louisville -35.

BigWayne
10-10-2016, 06:33 PM
The oft maligned ESPN FPI gives us a 2.3% chance of winning.

On the plus side, don't have to go searching through any obscure channels to find the game this week.

Reilly
10-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgensen, Jay Gruden, Daniel Jones ... it's Quarterback U v. Quarterback U ....

Selover
10-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Need another effort like against Notre Dame, only better. J.T. Barrett is undoubtedly the nation's best qb.

Fixed it!

Disclaimer: I may or may not be from Ohio :cool:

English
10-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Fixed it!

Disclaimer: I may or may not be from Ohio :cool:

Vegas line is up to Duke +36. Ooof.

Like Coach Taylor and the East Dillon Lions, it's better to shock the world under the Friday Night Lights.

PDDuke85
10-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Shock the world!

Betcha Louisville comes out in an ugly mood, having looked past Clemson to focus on Duke.

Hoping this game doesn't take the same path as was the case VS Alabama in 2010. I know our defense is far superior to what we had back then, but we need to offense to stay out on the field and drive the football. Time to dust off the other than vanilla offense playbook for this one.

Go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2016, 05:38 PM
I am sorry... 36 points? I don't expect Duke to win, but if they even keep it close for a quarter or two, 36 is a sucker's bet. I would feel pretty damn good about wagering money on that line.

devildeac
10-11-2016, 05:52 PM
I am sorry... 36 points? I don't expect Duke to win, but if they even keep it close for a quarter or two, 36 is a sucker's bet. I would feel pretty damn good about wagering money on that line.

Which way?

;)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Which way?

;)

I mean, am I crazy to think we can score a few times and keep them under 50?

DukieInKansas
10-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Betcha Louisville comes out in an ugly mood, having looked past Clemson to focus on Duke.

Hoping this game doesn't take the same path as was the case VS Alabama in 2010. I know are defense is far superior to what we had back then, but we need to offense to stay out on the field and drive the football. Time to dust off the other than vanilla offense playbook for this one.

Go Duke!

I took great satisfaction in being able to tell my Penn State nephew that we scored the first touchdown against Alabama that year and we scored more points against them than PSU did. :D

You take the victories you can. Plus, I got to meet a bunch of great folks at tailgate that year. Still fondly remember the prime rib done on the grill. :D

Olympic Fan
10-11-2016, 06:04 PM

Really?

Louisville lost in a great game to Clemson. Their other four wins were by 56, 34, 43, 31. They beat Florida State by 43.

In six games, we've topped 14 point three times ... and 20 points just twice -- and one of those was against NCCU.

And consider this, in the six times we've faced a top 10 opponent under Cut, we've come within 30 points ONCE -- lost by 38 (no. 1 FSU in 2013), 36 (No. 1o Clemson in 2012), 30 (No. 6 Stanford in 2011), 49 (No. 1 Alabama in 2010), 39 (No. 7 Georgia Tech in 2009), 8 No. 6 Virginia Tech in 2009).

I'd like to think we can cover -- heck. I'd LIKE to think Duke will win -- but I don't think 36 is sucker bet.

devildeac
10-11-2016, 06:05 PM

They beat Charlotte by 56, Syracuse by 34, f$u by 43 and Marshall by 31 (if my math skills are intact), so I guess I could imagine a score of 56-21 and us covering the spread :o .

Shocking the world (again) would be dandy, too. ;)

Edit: I see OF beat me to it by about a minute. :o

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Okay, so yeah, perhaps I am crazy. :)

This is why I don't bet money.

English
10-11-2016, 06:34 PM

I love your optimism. To give you an idea of their previous scoring margins:

Charlotte, W 70-14 (margin: 56)
@Cuse, W 62-28 (margin: 34)
#2 FSU, W 63-20 (margin: 43)
Marshall, W 59-28 (margin: 31)
Clemson, L 42-36 (margin: -6)

There are a couple of reasons for optimism (Cuse and Marshall), and some MAJOR reasons for pessimism (FSU, the game is @Lou, & Louisville coming off a loss will likely have them amped to bounce back). It should certainly be a test of our mettle. I won't be making any bets on the spread, but if I were, I'd have a really hard time not rolling with the Cardinals. Now, if we're talking about the Over/Under (not yet set), it'll have to be super high for me not to take the OVER.

devildeac
10-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Okay, so yeah, perhaps I am crazy. :)

This is why I don't bet money.

Donuts?

Pint at Green Mansion?

OldPhiKap
10-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Someone can borrow my "eat me" cake costume for this one, cannot make the road trip.

-jk
10-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Donuts?

Pint at Green Mansion?

A man walks into a bar... Ouch!

-jk

Bob Green
10-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Now, if we're talking about the Over/Under (not yet set), it'll have to be super high for me not to take the OVER.

VegasInsider has the consensus over/under at 71.5 points:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

sagegrouse
10-11-2016, 07:11 PM
VegasInsider has the consensus over/under at 71.5 points:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

So, 54-18 would be the score that nearly matches over/under and the point spread.

richardjackson199
10-12-2016, 07:11 AM

63% of the Joe Q's have bet on Louisville to cover. The line is about 34.5 now, but it's been moving around all week. Earlier it was 75% Joe Q's for Louisville covering, so the point spread line moved up (from it's open) to encourage more action on Duke, as I would expect.

This Joe Q would expect Louisville to cover, especially with the insider tip that OPK won't be there in the Eat Me Cake outfit. Short week, Louisville coming off a bye and a loss they should have won, at Louisville, our injuries, and it doesn't sound like Jela Duncan or Austin Davis will play (I have no clue but trust Jim Sumner's reasoning in his excellent football notes).

That said, shock the world!

dukelifer
10-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Really?

Louisville lost in a great game to Clemson. Their other four wins were by 56, 34, 43, 31. They beat Florida State by 43.

In six games, we've topped 14 point three times ... and 20 points just twice -- and one of those was against NCCU.

And consider this, in the six times we've faced a top 10 opponent under Cut, we've come within 30 points ONCE -- lost by 38 (no. 1 FSU in 2013), 36 (No. 1o Clemson in 2012), 30 (No. 6 Stanford in 2011), 49 (No. 1 Alabama in 2010), 39 (No. 7 Georgia Tech in 2009), 8 No. 6 Virginia Tech in 2009).

I'd like to think we can cover -- heck. I'd LIKE to think Duke will win -- but I don't think 36 is sucker bet.

I agree- this could get out of hand very fast. The main reason it might not be 36 is that Louisville will shut it down after coming on strong. Duke has a big job ahead of them. The Louisville football team may not be pumped up for this one- but the fans will be happy to see Duke lose.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2016, 03:01 PM
I agree- this could get out of hand very fast. The main reason it might not be 36 is that Louisville will shut it down after coming on strong. Duke has a big job ahead of them. The Louisville football team may not be pumped up for this one- but the fans will be happy to see Duke lose.

I have no reason to believe that Bobby Petrino will do anything other than try to run the score up as high as possible. Our defense better be ready.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2016, 03:16 PM
I have no reason to believe that Bobby Petrino will do anything other than try to run the score up as high as possible. Our defense better be ready.
Not known for his ethics, is he?:eek:

richardjackson199
10-12-2016, 03:16 PM

I agree with this. Louisville is still alive for the playoffs, and they will likely prefer more big blowouts to help make their case.

Bob Green
10-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Duke will wear all white against Louisville:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CukviwPXgAAxM5J.jpg

Olympic Fan
10-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Not known for his ethics, is he?:eek:

That's an understatement. Putting his NFL experience aside, can you think of another Power 5 school where both the football coach and the basketball coach have been part of a major sex scandal (and that's not counting stripper-gate)?

As for running up the score -- you've got to be kidding. Petrino is playing for a spot in the College Football Playoff. With a loss on his schedule, he needs to win as impressively as possible. I promise you, Louisville doesn't shut it down south of 60 points.

killerleft
10-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Was it over when the Japanese bombed London? No! I'm not necessarily expecting a win, but I fully expect our guys to be ready. Louisville was hot - now they're not. Let's keep them trending that way. Well, they're not as hot as they were.

Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
10-12-2016, 04:47 PM
When Spurrier was at Florida, he ran the score up in Athens to set the record for most points given up by UGa at home. The Dawg's coach, Ray Goff, was furious and started complaining to Steve out at midfield when the game was over.

"Ray," the Head Ball Coach replied, "I didn't see where in the rules it was my job to stop us from scoring."

Defense better get ready, and prepare to ride the roller coaster.

Bob Green
10-12-2016, 05:13 PM

I headed over to Cardinal Authority to check out how Louisville fans are looking at the game. A small sample:

They saw how confident Bobby was at his press conference yesterday.He had that Duke is gonna find out how Rutgers felt last week look..

Duke's offense is bad, and I don't expect they can stop our offense, especially when we are at home. This means blowout city.

With the over under at 71 I would take the over. I'm calling it right now. U of L 72 - Duke 0.

We need to score 70+ every game for the rest of the year, preferably 80 or more.

richardjackson199
10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Quality bulletin board material. Thanks for sharing those.

Let's get it!

AustinDevil
10-12-2016, 06:00 PM
When Spurrier was at Florida, he ran the score up in Athens to set the record for most points given up by UGa at home. The Dawg's coach, Ray Goff, was furious and started complaining to Steve out at midfield when the game was over.

"Ray," the Head Ball Coach replied, "I didn't see where in the rules it was my job to stop us from scoring."

OPK, is this a trick question in disguise as a statement? (You seem sure UGa was at home, so maybe this was Spurrier coaching South Carolina?)

Stray Gator
10-12-2016, 06:48 PM
OPK, is this a trick question in disguise as a statement? (You seem sure UGa was at home, so maybe this was Spurrier coaching South Carolina?)

Nope -- UF and UGA played a home-and-home during the two years when the old Gator Bowl in Jacksonville was being renovated/rebuilt. The Gators, then coached by Spurrier, won both of those games.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2016, 08:09 PM

Very reasonable and astute question.

Nope -- UF and UGA played a home-and-home during the two years when the old Gator Bowl in Jacksonville was being renovated/rebuilt. The Gators, then coached by Spurrier, won both of those games.

The "good for trivia" answer, like the 1942 Rose Bowl being played at Wally Wade. October 28, 1995. 52-17 in Athens, Stray's team.

I assume the anomaly in the schedule was extra incentive for Spurrier to lay the wood on them in Athens. See Duke at Carolina, 1989.

fidel
10-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Was it over when the Japanese bombed London? No! I'm not necessarily expecting a win, but I fully expect our guys to be ready. Louisville was hot - now they're not. Let's keep them trending that way. Well, they're not as hot as they were.

Go Duke!

OPK already said no 'eat me' at the game.

Animal House pseudo-quotes aren't gonna help.

Right in the lumberyard, Danny.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2016, 08:17 PM

Noonan!!

(Alas, must spread comments before sporking fidel again).

brevity
10-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Duke will wear all white against Louisville:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CukviwPXgAAxM5J.jpg

Oh good. We'll fit right in.

devildeac
10-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Oh good. We'll fit right in.

Don't know whether to give you sex sporks or chicken sporks for this, but, alas, I can do neither so you'll have to accept 3 or 4 attaboys/attagirls for now. ;)

Merlindevildog91
10-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Don't know whether to give you sex sporks or chicken sporks for this, but, alas, I can do neither so you'll have to accept 3 or 4 attaboys/attagirls for now. ;)

In some places not far to the west of my office, those would be the same thing, DD.

I sporked brevity on your behalf.

ipatent
10-13-2016, 07:22 PM
ESPN Quote- Adam Amin:

Steve Spurrier was the head coach at Duke when the Blue Devils last knocked off a Top-10 team. They've lost 23 straight since beating #7 Clemson in 1989. Last Duke win vs. a Top-10 team on the road? 1971 at the #10 Stanford INDIANS.

Surprised me, I would have thought it happened at least once under Cut...

AustinDevil
10-13-2016, 07:45 PM

Objection! OPK merely said no OPK at the game. The outfit was specifically offered to a willing attendee.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Objection! OPK merely said no OPK at the game. The outfit was specifically offered to a willing attendee.

Can FedEx ASAP.

devilirium
10-13-2016, 08:35 PM

Before they faced So Carolina the following year, the saying went "if you cant beat the poultry, go on back to Moultrie" (Goff's hometown)

mbird30
10-13-2016, 08:36 PM
http://www.cardchronicle.com/2016/10/13/13270074/that-time-duke-got-out-of-playing-louisville-by-arguing-they-were-the
Here's an ok article about the time we argued we were the worst team in D1 football (to get out of a louisville game).

I was upset when I read:
"I hope this is discussed in the game commentary.
This just looks bad on a program, and I really don’t like duke or cutcliffe for that matter."

Makes me hope we ruin their season even more.

devilirium
10-13-2016, 08:51 PM
That 13-90 mark is woeful, but going to court over that was the lowest point of the program. Ill take a whoopin over that nonsense any day of the week.

left_hook_lacey
10-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Well it worked when I said it in the Notre Dame thread, so here's to keeping up superstitions.....

"Time to shock the world".......again

OldPhiKap
10-14-2016, 10:27 AM
I am sure that there is an obvious and brilliant reason why we are playing on a Friday night. Especially when the home team had last week off, and the road team had a game on Saturday. It just eludes me.

Oh yeah. Because ESPN needs content. Blech.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-14-2016, 10:53 AM
I am sure that there is an obvious and brilliant reason why we are playing on a Friday night. Especially when the home team had last week off, and the road team had a game on Saturday. It just eludes me.

Oh yeah. Because ESPN needs content. Blech.

I'm going to out myself as a curmudgeon here, but I miss the old days... Friday was high school football, Saturday was college football, Sunday was NFL, and Monday was the marquee NFL matchup. Felt like breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Then, you had four days for your heart and liver to recover.

Oh, and get off my lawn and quit blasting that rap music.

dukelifer
10-14-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm going to out myself as a curmudgeon here, but I miss the old days... Friday was high school football, Saturday was college football, Sunday was NFL, and Monday was the marquee NFL matchup. Felt like breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Then, you had four days for your heart and liver to recover.

Oh, and get off my lawn and quit blasting that rap music.
This is about TV and ultimately money. It does not consider players academics or safety ( i.e. playing games with less than a week to recover). It is clearly not necessary as it was done in the past and football was still fun to watch. Sports is entertainment for those who like to watch it- but when you have students involved- there should be other considerations. Too much money in college sports.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-14-2016, 11:02 AM
This is about TV and ultimately money. It does not consider players academics or safety ( i.e. playing games with less than a week to recover). It is clearly not necessary as it was done in the past and football was still fun to watch. Sports is entertainment for those who like to watch it- but when you have students involved- there should be other considerations. Too much money in college sports.

Oh, it's clearly about money. And I understand that if the NFL could get away with two games in prime time each day of the week, they'd totally do it. And you can't put that money-genie back in the bottle I guess.

I like football, but the almost-every-day nature really wears on me over the season.

But I don't care about that tonight! Go Duke!

AustinDevil
10-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Before they faced So Carolina the following year, the saying went "if you cant beat the poultry, go on back to Moultrie" (Goff's hometown)

That is far less offensive than the cheer a Columbia friend of mine tells me was used when the Trojans of USC played at the 'Cocks of USC...

Avvocato
10-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Game day. I think most of us said the same thing heading into the Notre Dame game, but tonight is a tall order (no kidding). Unlike Notre Dame, Louisville has a good defense. Thankfully, Davis and Duncan are expected to play, as running the ball will be a big key for our offense. On the one hand, we need to get first downs, control some clock, and keep Louisville's offense off the field. On the other hand, we can't play too conservatively. We have to try and make plays as well. It's a tough balance. I can even see the tight ends/short passes working as a pseudo running game to try and move the chains. I think the Notre Dame game was a great experience for our boys, and should prepare us well for this challenge. It should also give them faith that they can pull this off. Am I expecting us to do it? No. But who cares what I expect us to do. Once again, like at Notre Dame, we have to come in focused, limit turnovers and penalties, hold on to snaps (by our punter), make at least reasonable field goal attempts, hopefully score touchdowns instead of field goals, and just stay focused for 60 minutes. On defense, I imagine that someone will probably need to spy Jackson. This will be a tall order but a great test. It's another big stage for our boys. Let's make another miracle happen. Let's go Duke.

Devilwin
10-14-2016, 05:01 PM
We cannot play conservative and hope to win, we gotta throw caution to the wind. The defensive side needs to play the game of their young lives, and I agree with spying Jackson.
Logic tells me we are doomed, but they play the game on the field, not on my "logical" conclusions. And finish if we get close, don't do like the Hurricanes did last night against Winnepeg.

richardjackson199
10-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Obviously stopping Jackson's scrambles will be important. But we can't underestimate him as a passer either. From the Cardinals games I've seen, one of their most deadly offensive weapons is their tight end Hikutini. Shutting him down (along with trying to contain Jackson) will be key.

Scoring 75 points should also be enough to win.

-jk
10-14-2016, 06:17 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Bob Green
10-14-2016, 06:28 PM
I'm in wait and see what happens mode. The odds are certainly stacked against us but one never knows what is going to happen. Playing in prime time on Friday night certainly is exciting. Hopefully the veterans lead and the youngsters step up and shine.

DU82
10-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Inside the stadium, forget all beer stands, they have a Jack Daniels stand right outside our section! (But no diet Mountain Dew at the fountain.)

Louisville is doing the black out thing, there's not a lot of red inside. A preview of what our seats will look like in a few years, theirs have faded to a nice pink. (We better replace ours before they get anywhere close t the color of the evil cheatin Smurfs.)

BLPOG
10-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Inside the stadium, forget all beer stands, they have a Jack Daniels stand right outside our section! (But no diet Mountain Dew at the fountain.)

Louisville is doing the black out thing, there's not a lot of red inside. A preview of what our seats will look like in a few years, theirs have faded to a nice pink. (We better replace ours before they get anywhere close t the color of the evil cheatin Smurfs.)

Heaven forbid. I'll sneak in paint and touch 'em up myself before that happens.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-14-2016, 07:32 PM
7-7 ... gotta find offense

riverside6
10-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Live stats for Duke/Louisville...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-louisville-football-live-stats-10142016

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-14-2016, 07:47 PM
I like it so far, 10-7. Have to keep close. They will score almost every possession.

Bob Green
10-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Excellent 1st half performance. Now we need to take the 2nd half kick-off and score!

duketaylor
10-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Interesting game so far, thought the line, both the 35 and 70.5 was strange. I played this game on a hunch. Won't divulge how so I don't jinx anything. It's a shame our kicking game has gone the wrong direction. Pulling hard the next hour or so, GO DEVILS!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Great first half. Way to stick to the game plan. Score on the first possession!

DU82
10-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Great clock management. Took the snap on 2 left on the play clock almost every time. If they don't have the ball, they can't score. Now let's get a six minute TD drive to start the second half.

DU82
10-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Great clock management. Took the snap on 2 left on the play clock almost every time. If they don't have the ball, they can't score. Now let's get a six minute TD drive to start the second half.

Well, it seems they can score after fumbling and gives up the ball. Horrible call.

Devilsforlife
10-14-2016, 08:56 PM
That call was disgusting. ACC refs are horrific.

WakeDevil
10-14-2016, 09:02 PM
If you don't tackle, you don't win.

YmoBeThere
10-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Within range of them, unfortunately not in the range of our kicker.

Tripping William
10-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Arghus! Borders!!

CameronBlue
10-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Arghus! Borders!!

Should have reviewed the play, Borders was pushed into the kicker, slightly, but there was a push. Probably wouldn't have been overturned but you never know.

duke79
That may go down as one of the dumbest penalties in Duke football history !

FerryFor50
How was that roughing and not "running into" the kicker?

Why can't this team benefit from a blown call once in awhile? They've been getting shafted since that Miami debacle.

arnie
10-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Should have reviewed the play, Borders was pushed into the kicker, slightly, but there was a push. Probably wouldn't have been overturned but you never know.

Disagree - that's not reviewable. Personal foul on 4th and 22 defines Duke football in the past 40 years.

rsvman
10-14-2016, 09:48 PM

Agreed. And the kicker moved forward into Borders and then really sold the call.
What an unfortunate way to lose a game that was still winnable.

SCMatt33
10-14-2016, 09:49 PM
How was that roughing and not "running into" the kicker?

Why can't this team benefit from a blown call once in awhile? They've been getting shafted since that Miami debacle.

From what I remember, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take out the plant leg, it's always roughing, even with light contact. I just do get why you're even trying to block. Without a great kicker, you're unlikely to try and tie down 3 anyway, so let em kick it

FerryFor50
10-14-2016, 09:51 PM
From what I remember, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take out the plant leg, it's always roughing, even with light contact. I just do get why you're even trying to block. Without a great kicker, you're unlikely to try and tie down 3 anyway, so let em kick it

Even if you're blocked into him? And the kick was completed and there was no "plant leg" at that point?

duke79
10-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Special teams coach should have told the players to not even get CLOSE to the kicker. Very unlikely he was going to make that kick. Even if he did, Duke could still win with a TD.

ipatent
10-14-2016, 09:54 PM
Special teams coach should have told the players to not even get CLOSE to the kicker. Very unlikely he was going to make that kick. Even if he did, Duke could still win with a TD.

Agree.

SCMatt33
10-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Even if you're blocked into him? And the kick was completed and there was no "plant leg" at that point?

His momentum was already heading in that direction. He was still going to end up in that spot regardless of blocking. It was late in the process of the kick, but you absolutely can't fault the ref for that call. He kickers momentum takes him forward and he has to be given that space if you don't get the block.

rsvman
10-14-2016, 09:56 PM
That was not the plant leg by any stretch of the imagination. In fact after he kicked the ball, he took another step forward and walked into Borders. Not even close to roughing. Really bad call.

WakeDevil
10-14-2016, 09:57 PM
The QB rushed for 144 yards. That and Duke's inability to throw downfield were the difference.

flyingdutchdevil
Agreed. And the kicker moved forward into Borders and then really sold the call.
What an unfortunate way to lose a game that was still winnable.

So you're blaming Louisville and not Duke for that? I saw roughing he kicker, plain and simple.

Blame the refs if you want. That was either a bad block attempt or bad coaching to go after the block

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Great game. Great coaching. One dicey call from a chance for greatness.

Bob Green
10-14-2016, 09:58 PM
A great effort by Duke and I'm really proud of our guys but in the end it is a disappointing way to lose a game.

Next Play! Time to go beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

rsvman
10-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Agreed that we shouldn't have gone after the block but watch the play again in slow motion and see what really happened. He kicks the ball and then walks forward on his right leg. Almost an unnatural motion. One wonders whether he was coached to do that if he saw someone trying to make the block.

mbird30
10-14-2016, 10:00 PM
The QB rushed for 144 yards. That and Duke's inability to throw downfield were the difference.

I dissagree. Lamar Jackson is a player that can do that against the best teams. We held Louisville to their lowest scoring total all season. We did great and this is a game that actually came down to ONE PLAY. I love Breon Borders, but this will stay in my memory for a while. Still, this was a GREAT effort by the team and OUTSTANDING coaching. We had the perfect game plan and should have had a chance to win at the end. This one hurts, but we show we can play with anybody.

Newton_14
10-14-2016, 10:01 PM

Meh... great acting job by the kicker is all that was. And you absolutely go for the block there. You have a much better chance of scoring off a blocked kick and jailhouse break than you do going 80 yards with a Freshman QB on the road at a Top 10 Opponent. Where is Wheat to complain about the kicker holding his leg out and falling at the slightest appearance of contact?

We also got hosed when we forced a fumble in the Red Zone and the stripes go "Oh no sorry, his forward momentum was stopped. Uh No, the guy was spinning around trying to both shake the tackle and hold onto the ball. He was NOT being driven backwards and the play certainly was not over. But oh well. We'll just go with the meme our hoops opponents do, "Big ESPN Money always win. Refs weren't going to allow Louisville to lose there! They need them in the Playoff Hunt":cool::rolleyes:

Great game by the Blue and White. Great game plan by the Coaching Staff. Hats off to our defense for containing and for our offense for sustaining long drives to eat clock. Well done guys. You should have gotten a chance down 3 with under 2 minutes to go against a stunned Louisville team that could not believe what was happening. Heck who knows, maybe Wilson or Rahming break a long run and we steal a win... Sucks...

crdaul
Next play....great effort

killerleft
Great game. Great coaching. One dicey call from a chance for greatness.

Agreed. That could have easily have been called running into the kicker. But it was easier not to get close to the guy in the first place.

SCMatt33
10-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Agreed that we shouldn't have gone after the block but watch the play again in slow motion and see what really happened. He kicks the ball and then walks forward on his right leg. Almost an unnatural motion. One wonders whether he was coached to do that if he saw someone trying to make the block.

Nah. Watch other kicks, especially at the edge of a guys range. you have momentum from the run up that will always take you two steps forward. Any kicker that's looking up to see what blockers may or may not be coming is never gonna make a kick. You're focused on the ball the whole way. That said, I'm sure he's not gonna like try and jump over the guy, but I think the look from the sidelines says it all. Cut wasn't chasing down any refs that I saw. If you need to check slow mo, you can't ask a ref to make the call. Same reason the throw the block in the back. Amen reason they called forward progress. These are judgement calls a guy sees live. This isn't a knee down or a foot out of bounds.

All I can really say is this. 1) great effort by our team. 2) I would be much more pissed if we lost trying to kick a field goal like that and they didn't throw the flag than I am with this. 3) based on what we saw all night, I'm not exactly confident we would have scored anyway, but would have been nice to have a shot

CameronBlue
10-14-2016, 10:07 PM

If you're insinuating that's why Duke lost I reject the assessment for this reason: Yes, Duke was outperformed on the field at the QB position and Duke's offense probably maxed out its point production capability against a team like L-Ville. Jackson is incredible. But Duke absolutely destroyed L-ville at the HC's position. That was a masterful game plan by Cut, a classic for all time--had Duke won.

So disappointed and yet so proud.

WakeDevil
10-14-2016, 10:08 PM
I dissagree. Lamar Jackson is a player that can do that against the best teams. We held Louisville to their lowest scoring total all season. We did great and this is a game that actually came down to ONE PLAY. I love Breon Borders, but this will stay in my memory for a while. Still, this was a GREAT effort by the team and OUTSTANDING coaching. We had the perfect game plan and should have had a chance to win at the end. This one hurts, but we show we can play with anybody.

I wrote that our failure to be able to contain him was one of the two differences. Had he been held to under a hundred, this game is a different story. Nobody is saying he should have been stopped. Good Lord!

ETA: Actually, it was Duke's inability to take advantage of their playing three on two on the outside that was the other difference.

ipatent
10-14-2016, 10:12 PM
That fumble recovery that was blown dead looked like a make-up call, because there wasn't much of a block in the back on the long return.

SCMatt33
10-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Since we've all been asking about it, here is the official rule from the rule book. The only official difference is whether a play "endangers" the kicker or not, so interpretation is everything. I've always seen it called roughing when a kickers legs are taken out from under him, but the one thing the rule is clear about is that when in doubt, call roughing. As for being blocked into the kicker. Borders was clearly diving for a block on his own, and I don think in live play a ref is going to make a judgment that his path would not have taken him into the kicker on a bang bang play. I also think the ref is always going to give the kicker lots of leeway for regaining his balance as described in section 4.

Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder
ARTICLE 16. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 9-1-16-I, III and VI).
1. Roughing is a live-ball personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.
2. Running into the kicker or holder is a live-ball foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-16-II). Note: “Running into” carries a five-yard penalty at the previous spot.
3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.
4. The kicker’s protection under this rule ends (a)when he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance(A.R. 9-1-16-IV); or (b)when he carries the ball outside the tackle box (Rule 2-34) before kicking.
5. When a defensive player’s contact against the kicker or holder is caused by an opponent’s block (legal or illegal), there is no foul for
running into or roughing.
6. A player who makes contact with the kicker or holder after
touching the kick is not charged with running into or roughing the
kicker.
7. When a player other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick runs
into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.
8. When in question whether the foul is running into or roughing,
the foul is roughing.
b. A kicker or holder simulating being roughed or run into by a defensive
player commits an unsportsmanlike act (A.R. 9-1-16-V).

There is also one rules interpretation that is relevant, but again, it doesn't offer much specific guidence for what the line is between roughing and running into. As I mentioned before, if a kickers legs are taken out from under him, I've always seen it called roughing.

II. A1 kicks the ball, after which B1, unable to stop his attempt to block the kick, runs into the kicker or holder. RULING: Penalty—Five yards from the previous spot. Roughing and 15 yards and first down if in question as to whether the foul is “running into’’ or “roughing.’’

Avvocato
10-14-2016, 10:56 PM
I wrote that our failure to be able to contain him was one of the two differences. Had he been held to under a hundred, this game is a different story. Nobody is saying he should have been stopped. Good Lord!

ETA: Actually, it was Duke's inability to take advantage of their playing three on two on the outside that was the other difference.

With all due respect, holding Jackson to 140 yards rushing and under 200 yards passing is containing him. He is the ultimate weapon in college football. Louisville averaged more than 50 points a game coming in to tonight's game and had an extra week to prepare. Suggesting that the defense holding Louisville to 17 points (prior to the last score) and this loss is on the defense in any way is not fair in my view.

As for the game itself, what can you say. It was one of Duke's best efforts considering the team we played. It's an unfortunate way for this game to end. Great coaching job, great effort. I couldn't be prouder of our team.

Few other thoughts:

* The roughing the kicker call is on Borders. You can't put the ref in a position to make that call in that spot. You have to know the game situation. I think it was more running into the kicker than roughing, but you can't touch him there. There's no need to. The kicker stinks and has never made it from that distance. Even if he does, it's still a one score game. And for those saying the kicker acted. He's supposed to. Even at the high school level, kickers are thought to go down at the slightest touch. At 4th and 22 against that kicker, don't even breathe on him. Unfortunate. Feel bad for Borders, but that's on him. Next play.

* It's another example of why you try to stick with a running game even when it looks like it doesn't work. For about 3 quarters we couldn't do much running the ball. Credit to the coaches for staying patient and to keep running it. Against a good defense, our line kept pounding, wore them down a little, and we gutted out a great drive late in the 4th. It allowed us to hang in against one of the best teams in the country. There are always calls we may question (I know I did), but overall, great game plan and great play calling.

* In addition to the above, another shout out to the defense. To keep Louisville to 17/24 points is a tribute to them. Jackson is so hard to defend. You can do everything right and he can still break the D down and turn it into a big gain. Just a gutty performance.

* On the two biggest stages, Duke has been at its best. Tip of the cap to the coaching staff and team for being ready to play on the road in these spots and making a statement.

While a disappointing end to the game, great effort. Very proud of the team and staff. Let's get some rest and get ready for G Tech next week. I'm a proud Duke football fan right now. Go Duke.

westwall
10-14-2016, 10:58 PM
All I can really say is this. 1) great effort by our team. 2) I would be much more pissed if we lost trying to kick a field goal like that and they didn't throw the flag than I am with this. 3) based on what we saw all night, I'm not exactly confident we would have scored anyway, but would have been nice to have a shot

Agree. Not only a great effort, but Duke matched up with and was competitive against the # 6 team the entire game. My biggest regret now is that I did not take Duke and the points. WHO WAS IT that recently said (a paraphrase): "Any time the spread is greater than 20 points, take Duke and the points"?? Sigh !

Richard Berg
10-15-2016, 02:56 AM
Isn't that Borders' 2nd roughing penalty of the season?

The non-fumble was the truly awful call. I'd call it a 14-loint swing: we go from 1st and goal, to giving up a long run down the sideline. And even after that (and a missed FG), we still had a chance to win. Proud of our guys.

Hope Nash, Kelley, Fields, Duncan, and company are ok.

Field's true frosh backup (Morgan?) looks like our next CB star.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 05:40 AM
Field's true frosh backup (Morgan?) looks like our next CB star.

Mark Gilbert #28 is who you are referring to. He is a true freshman from Fayetteville, NC.

DangerDevil
10-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Cut's comments about the roughing the kicker call,

"I think the rule makers have to look at when a guy leaves a protected area," Cutcliffe said, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal. "I thought [Borders] angle was perfection, down in front of where the kicker is. I think the guy was able to take a step and get in harm's way.

"I would like the rule makers to take a look at that, or we're all going to have to stop trying to block an extra point, because I had a perfect angle and [Borders] did exactly what he was coached to do. He couldn't have done it any better."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17798512/david-cutcliffe-duke-blue-devils-coach-says-roughing-kicker-rule-needs-tweaking

I would have liked a real win as much as anyone, but I think you have to be pretty happy with this game, to have been in it until two minutes left thinking we were getting the ball back near mid field only down by three points after only giving up 17 points to an offense that was averaging over 600 yards and 58 points is a testament to the gameplan and the way the team played.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/95549/red-yawn-lamar-jackson-louisville-snooze-past-duke

"Certainly Duke coach David Cutcliffe has something to do with that. His game plan was masterful"

Go Devils!

devildeac
10-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Cut's comments about the roughing the kicker call,

"I think the rule makers have to look at when a guy leaves a protected area," Cutcliffe said, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal. "I thought [Borders] angle was perfection, down in front of where the kicker is. I think the guy was able to take a step and get in harm's way.

"I would like the rule makers to take a look at that, or we're all going to have to stop trying to block an extra point, because I had a perfect angle and [Borders] did exactly what he was coached to do. He couldn't have done it any better."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17798512/david-cutcliffe-duke-blue-devils-coach-says-roughing-kicker-rule-needs-tweaking

I would have liked a real win as much as anyone, but I think you have to be pretty happy with this game, to have been in it until two minutes left thinking we were getting the ball back near mid field only down by three points after only giving up 17 points to an offense that was averaging over 600 yards and 58 points is a testament to the gameplan and the way the team played.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/95549/red-yawn-lamar-jackson-louisville-snooze-past-duke

"Certainly Duke coach David Cutcliffe has something to do with that. His game plan was masterful"

Go Devils!

Telling quotes there from Cut. I didn't see it live but watched the highlights/replays of it a bunch of times last PM. Their kicker did a pretty good impression of a South American/Italian futbol player and it looked like Borders got a little/subtle push from the L'ville player he beat to get to the kick.

60sDukie
10-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Based on what I saw last night, I would like to make a very bold prediction. I think we will make a bowl game.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Based on what I saw last night, I would like to make a very bold prediction. I think we will make a bowl game.

"Don't forget how to count to six"

Hard to think we'll have a tougher challenge than @ Louisville on five day's rest while they had an off week. It's certainly doable, but certainly a challenge.

Troublemaker
10-15-2016, 09:43 AM

Very proud of our men last night. My original plan was to flip back and forth between the football game and the ALCS Game 1, but as the game progressed, I ditched the baseball.

As for reaching 6 wins, we have about a month to improve the offense dramatically. Besides the ND and NCCU games, Duke has only scored two TDs or less in every game, which is not quite yet bowl-worthy.

We can actually upset Georgia Tech in Atlanta on 10/29 winning that way. We can shut down their option and win like 17-14.

However that only gets us to 4 wins. We would need two more snipes. The ones I'm looking at are UNC at home on 11/10 and Pitt on the road on 11/19. For those games, we'll need our offense to be good to complement our defense.

In any case, if it doesn't happen -- if we don't ultimately make a bowl -- I still wouldn't be surprised if recruiting took a jump for us. The program acquitted itself so well @ND and @Louisville in nationally televised games. We may not make a bowl this season, but Duke football is here to stay. Come join our rising program.

CameronBornAndBred
10-15-2016, 10:06 AM
In the face of adversity from both without and within (Playing in a hostile atmosphere against a top team, an insane number of repeated up the middle running plays, a seriously questionable call on the fumble), I don't think we could have asked our guys to play much more of a better game.
I was proud of the effort and execution that I saw on the field last night, and it bodes well for the future of this team.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 10:32 AM
As for reaching 6 wins, we have about a month to improve the offense dramatically.

Throwing out the game against FCS opponent NCCU, Duke is only scoring 18.6 points per game so I agree wholeheartedly, the offense needs to improve. The good news is the talent is there so achieving consistent efficiency soon is a realistic possibility.

arnie
10-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Throwing out the game against FCS opponent NCCU, Duke is only scoring 18.6 points per game so I agree wholeheartedly, the offense needs to improve. The good news is the talent is there so achieving consistent efficiency soon is a realistic possibility.

Bob. I'm not so sure the offensive talent is "there" compared to ACC Coastal teams. I wouldn't consider any of our running backs/receivers as elite, our QB is ok, but not elite and our O-line is at best average. I think our defense is much more talented and will be the reason we win 1-2 more games against remaining schedule (all Coastal teams). A 5th win this year would be huge, as previously posted might put us in a bowl.

Offensive play next year should be improved with more experience and a few "elite" prospects.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Bob. I'm not so sure the offensive talent is "there" compared to ACC Coastal teams. I wouldn't consider any of our running backs/receivers as elite, our QB is ok, but not elite and our O-line is at best average.

I'll concede the offensive line to you but both Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson are very talented running backs. The talent at receiver is also there with more experience being gained game-by-game. Rahming and Lloyd are only sophomores.

Daniel Jones is more than ok. In my opinion, he is much more than ok. He is rapidly developing into a very good quarterback with the potential to be elite.

fuse
10-15-2016, 11:24 AM
I was traveling, sounds like a game I am sorry I missed watching.

ESPN box score credits Boehme with a 48 yard punt.
Would anyone share some details?

TruBlu
10-15-2016, 11:31 AM

Parker, our regular punter suffered an injury (broken collarbone, according to some). Boehme was put in on a fourth and short, and had a quick kick with a nice roll.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Boehme came in on 4th down and we faked going for the 1st down and he executed a quick kick out of the shotgun. The next time we punted, Danny Stirt kicked. Austin Parker was out of the game injured. The announcers said he was in the locker room getting X-rays.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Parker, our regular punter suffered an injury (broken collarbone, according to some).

I've heard the same. Anthony Nash also broke his.

richardjackson199
10-15-2016, 11:37 AM

Our starting Punter Austin Parker was injured. He left the game, it was reported that he went to get X-rays, and he did not return. On 4th and 5, we put Bohme in. He looked quickly to see if anything was open to get an easy short first down. Nothing was so he did a quick punt. They said he had that ability and had done it before. Our next punt was taken by Danny Stirt, and it was not a good punt.

Hopefully Parker ends up being ok. Hopefully Nash is ok as well. He also left, looked to be in quite a bit of pain on the sideline, and did not return.

Amazing performance by our team. It's crazy to think of multiple plays where if any one of them had gone differently, we could have had the biggest win in program history. Louisville won, and deserved to win. I don't think we were hosed by the refs at all. We also caught some serious breaks like the block in the back on the kickoff return for TD which was a bad call costing Louisville 7 points. Both teams caught some breaks. Borders just can't hit the kicker in the legs on that fg - can't fault the refs for making that call, and can't fault the kicker for selling it. But we put ourselves in a position to win at Louisville. Very proud of our team.

I hope they continue to grow and improve each game, regardless of our final record. Hopefully this tough loss won't result in a hangover setback. I expect another great performance in Atlanta. Cut continues to do an incredible job with Duke football.

richardjackson199
10-15-2016, 11:41 AM
I see several posters answered fuse's question along with my own questions. So it sounds like evidently Nash and Parker are not ok. Thanks for update Bob.

What Cut has been doing with the injuries to this team makes it even more incredible. But at some point losing all these key starters could be too much.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 11:44 AM
It's crazy to think of multiple plays where if any one of them had gone differently, we could have had the biggest win in program history.

Duke has won the Cotton Bowl (Arkansas), Orange Bowl (Nebraska) and Sugar Bowl (Alabama) so beating Louisville last night would not have been "the biggest win in program history." It would have been a huge victory.

Bob Green
10-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks for update Bob.

You're welcome. To clarify, my injury "update" is unconfirmed. I've seen nothing official on the injuries.

richardjackson199
10-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Duke has won the Cotton Bowl (Arkansas), Orange Bowl (Nebraska) and Sugar Bowl (Alabama) so beating Louisville last night would not have been "the biggest win in program history." It would have been a huge victory.

You got me there! Like if the Cubs win and I said it was the biggest win in program history, somebody could point out that their back-to-back world series wins in 1907 and 1908 were bigger. And they'd be right. But it's been a while. So I'll concede that it would have been huge. :)

And I do appreciate the history lesson! I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know we beat Alabama and Nebraska in those bowls. I started paying attention to Duke football as an alum in the late 90's when we were awful.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-15-2016, 12:34 PM
You got me there! Like if the Cubs win and I said it was the biggest win in program history, somebody could point out that their back-to-back world series wins in 1907 and 1908 were bigger. And they'd be right. But it's been a while. So I'll concede that it would have been huge. :)

And I do appreciate the history lesson! I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know we beat Alabama and Nebraska in those bowls. I started paying attention to Duke football as an alum in the late 90's when we were awful.

I think one could understandably amend the statement to "biggest win in modern program history," but it's certainly a moot point, since we lost.

The roughing the kicker call was tough to swallow, but I thought the non-fumble really was the game changer. I'm not one to belabor calls after a game, but we would have had a pretty darned good shot at winning at that point.

At any rate, I was really pleased by the game. Coach Cut had a masterful game-plan on both sides of the ball. Those much maligned runs up the gut finally made sense in the big picture as we started wearing down that front line and it opened up some nice quick outs. Holding Louisville's elite offense under a billion points was really impressive. You know that they will get one or two big plays every game, but they frequently seem to get 8-10 of those and that didn't happen last night.

I love the direction of our program. I love our coach. I love our kids. We are really on the right path, and I am looking forward to our next argument over where our next milepost ACTUAL victory ranks in Duke football lore. I hope we have lots of fights like that in coming seasons.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-15-2016, 01:06 PM
You're welcome. To clarify, my injury "update" is unconfirmed. I've seen nothing official on the injuries.
In his remarks after the game, Coach Cutcliffe said that both Nash and Parker sustained broken clavicles, but that it's too soon to know what sort of treatment will be needed nor how long it will take.

devildeac
10-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Parker, our regular punter suffered an injury (broken collarbone, according to some). Boehme was put in on a fourth and short, and had a quick kick with a nice roll.

I've heard the same. Anthony Nash also broke his.

IANAOS but I do (seem to) recall that Anthony Boone also had a clavicular fracture and was out 3-4 weeks. I'm sensing billy still lurks here and might chime in on different types of clavicular fractures and/or dislocations, their treatments and recovery times.

jv001
10-15-2016, 03:20 PM
I'll concede the offensive line to you but both Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson are very talented running backs. The talent at receiver is also there with more experience being gained game-by-game. Rahming and Lloyd are only sophomores.

Daniel Jones is more than ok. In my opinion, he is much more than ok. He is rapidly developing into a very good quarterback with the potential to be elite.

I agree with you on Duncan and Wilson. Both are good running backs but our offensive line is not as talented as in previous seasons. I hope we can establish a run game in order to throw some downfield passes. I know Coach Cut used this play along with running the ball for short yardage to control the clock. Which we did and it almost got us a win. However I'm wondering how high school quarterbacks look at our offense when being recruited by Duke. Anyway, I'll take a win( we could have had this one) anytime over pleasing a high school quarterback. GoDuke!

Richard Berg
10-15-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm heartened that, whatever talent gap may exist on the front line, they always seem to play their best in the 4th quarter. Nice to have the best-conditioned team on the field every week.

[Borders] did exactly what he was coached to do. He couldn't have done it any better.
That was kinda my point in noting that he's had 2 of those penalties this year. If Cut didn't like the way he was attacking the kick, he would have changed his approach after the first penalty (vs Northwestern).

No word on Fields?

Bob Green
10-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Punter Austin Parker out indefinitely after undergoing surgery today:

Duke FootballVerified account
‏@Duke_FB
#Duke P Austin Parker out of action indefinitely after today's surgery on his right shoulder to stabilize fractured clavicle.

CameronBornAndBred
10-16-2016, 06:57 PM
That blows; I was pretty impressed with his punts. I took solace in feeling half of our kicking game was decent.

OldPhiKap
10-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Here's vibes for a quick and full recovery. That's gotta hurt.

Newton_14
10-16-2016, 08:34 PM
That blows; I was pretty impressed with his punts. I took solace in feeling half of our kicking game was decent. Yeah I feel terrible for the kid. I hate he got hurt and it just weakens an already weakened team that much further. I was not yet impressed with his play, based on dropping snaps and a few shanks, but I do feel he can be good at some point sooner than later. We were spoiled with our previous punter and FG Kicker, so our (mine at least) expectations needed calibrating anyway.

If and buts and all that, but I still find myself thinking during games, "what would the score be right now if Sirk was in there", and now then "what if Sirk and Devon" were in there. What would the score be? etc. I get that nobody cares about how badly we are depleted and weakened, especially our opponents and the media, but I am confident we would be sitting with just one loss if those two guys had played every single game this year, and on top of that if Jela were 100% healthy for every game. But, like I said, If and Buts and all that. I do feel folks should recognize the impacts of those injuries.

If we keep improving and limit turnovers, we will be in every game and have a chance to win. Let the chips fall where they lay but a bowl is certainly not out of the question yet.

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
10-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Not to be too pointed but,

(A) What is Plan B, and shouldn't we be worried?

(B) How the heck does a punter, of all players, get a broken collar bone? Did anyone see the play?

orrnot
10-16-2016, 09:02 PM
I think Plan B should be Parker Boehme. He's got a solid average and forces a little worry on our opponents.

The answer to the upcoming trivia question, by the way, is "Anthony Dilweg."

Newton_14
10-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Not to be too pointed but,

(A) What is Plan B, and shouldn't we be worried?

(B) How the heck does a punter, of all players, get a broken collar bone? Did anyone see the play?

I'm pretty sure it happened on the punt return for a TD that got called back (and rightly so) due to a block in the back. I think he got in on a tackle attempt if I recall correctly and hurt it then.

chrishoke
10-17-2016, 10:35 AM
I think Plan B should be Parker Boehme. He's got a solid average and forces a little worry on our opponents.

The answer to the upcoming trivia question, by the way, is "Anthony Dilweg."

Danny Stitt will likely take over punting duties - he was our punter the last time we punted againgst Louisville.

English
10-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Danny Stirt will likely take over punting duties - he was our punter the last time we punted against Louisville.

Fixed. Stirt is a Sr. out of Gainesville, FL (according to GoDuke.com, since I had to look it up).

CameronBornAndBred
10-17-2016, 04:47 PM
I was not yet impressed with his play, based on dropping snaps and a few shanks
Good point, so I am making the following edit...

That blows; I was pretty impressed with his punts. (When he caught the ball and got it in the air.)

:rolleyes:

Newton_14
10-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Good point, so I am making the following edit...

:rolleyes:
LOL Good One Willis!

Not hatin on the kid. He's a Frosh and nerves have played a role for sure. I do think he will get better and it stinks he got hurt. Hopefully it doesn't cost him the rest of the season though with our injury luck this year it probably will...