PDA

View Full Version : No Duke football report from Sumner on 10-4-16

jimsumner
10-03-2016, 09:33 PM
I have a schedule conflict and will be unable to attend the Duke football media lunch tomorrow.

Back to normal next week.

For what it's worth.

PDDuke85
10-03-2016, 10:15 PM
I have a schedule conflict and will be unable to attend the Duke football media lunch tomorrow.

For what it's worth.

Jim, FWIW, I love your Tuesday post presser reports. I know I'm not alone. I look forward to the following weeks report.

devildeac
10-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Off with his head!

(kidding, of course)

We'll look forward to next week's report. Anyone you can send as your stand-in?

Newton_14
10-03-2016, 10:49 PM

For what it's worth.

Oly?

Bob Green
10-04-2016, 04:31 AM
For what it's worth.

Your reports are worth their weight in gold. I'm already looking forward to next Tuesday.

Olympic Fan
10-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Oly?

I'll try, but with Coach K's presser later in the afternoon, I won't be able to post anything until early evening.

dukejim1
10-04-2016, 12:03 PM
I'll try, but with Coach K's presser later in the afternoon, I won't be able to post anything until early evening.

Just don't ask if he thought about putting Parker in the game.

Olympic Fan
10-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Okay, I've got a few minutes before K shows up.

No huge news from Coach Cut's presser today. But a few notes:

-- Jela Duncan did some work at practice Tuesday and looks good to play Saturday -- although that determination won't be made until at least Thursday's injury report (and in this case, will probably be a game-time decision).

-- Cut has his eye on Hurricane Matthew, but he refuses to worry about it until Friday. Said that rain would hurt both teams -- Army handles it a lot in the triple option, but wet conditions may help Duke's passing game: "We practice in the wet." Of course, driving rain hurts everything and everybody.

-- Duke has had a great record in recent years against option teams. He said playing Georgia Tech every year -- and Army and/or Navy most years -- helps with familiarity. Also, Jeremy Cash was unbelievable against the option. But Ben Humphreys said Jim Knowles' schemes are a big part of it. He called Knowles, "The King of the Triple Option." He explained that their mentality is to attack the option.

-- Players and coaches agreed that this Army team looks a lot better than the one Duke manhandled 44-3 last year in West Point. Stronger, more experienced -- especially on the offensive line. They dominated Temple for more than a half -- Temple coming off a 10-win season.

-- Cut is still very much in Daniel Jones' corner. Said that "he has us playing at a high level." Jones' big problem at the moment is trying to force plays... said all great quarterbacks have to learn to be booed (because they take sacks or throw the ball away).

On the other hand, Jones leads all freshmen quarterbacks nationally in passing yards, total yards and completions. He's just the fifth Duke quarterback to top 1,400 yards in five games -- and the other four were all veterans.

-- Duke is third nationally in sacks. A year ago, Duke had 17 sacks in 13 games. So far this season, 20 sacks in five games. AJ Wolf, who has five sacks so far, credits new DL coach Ben Alberts for instilling a new intensity ... and Jim Knowles for his blitz schemes.

-- Cut said one thing that helps him handle players' mistakes is his own mistakes. Said he keeps a book of mistakes, which also includes solutions. He started when he was an assistant under Johnny Majors. Said he writes in it 12 months a year because he makes mistakes 12 months a year, "and if you don't believe me, ask my wife."

devildeac
10-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Okay, I've got a few minutes before K shows up.

No huge news from Coach Cut's presser today. But a few notes:

-- Jela Duncan did some work at practice Tuesday and looks good to play Saturday -- although that determination won't be made until at least Thursday's injury report (and in this case, will probably be a game-time decision).

-- Cut has his eye on Hurricane Matthew, but he refuses to worry about it until Friday. Said that rain would hurt both teams -- Army handles it a lot in the triple option, but wet conditions may help Duke's passing game: "We practice in the wet." Of course, driving rain hurts everything and everybody.

-- Duke has had a great record in recent years against option teams. He said playing Georgia Tech every year -- and Army and/or Navy most years -- helps with familiarity. Also, Jeremy Cash was unbelievable against the option. But Ben Humphreys said Jim Knowles' schemes are a big part of it. He called Knowles, "The King of the Triple Option." He explained that their mentality is to attack the option.

-- Players and coaches agreed that this Army team looks a lot better than the one Duke manhandled 44-3 last year in West Point. Stronger, more experienced -- especially on the offensive line. They dominated Temple for more than a half -- Temple coming off a 10-win season.

-- Cut is still very much in Daniel Jones' corner. Said that "he has us playing at a high level." Jones' big problem at the moment is trying to force plays... said all great quarterbacks have to learn to be booed (because they take sacks or throw the ball away).

On the other hand, Jones leads all freshmen quarterbacks nationally in passing yards, total yards and completions. He's just the fifth Duke quarterback to top 1,400 yards in five games -- and the other four were all veterans.

-- Duke is third nationally in sacks. A year ago, Duke had 17 sacks in 13 games. So far this season, 20 sacks in five games. AJ Wolf, who has five sacks so far, credits new DL coach Ben Alberts for instilling a new intensity ... and Jim Knowles for his blitz schemes.

-- Cut said one thing that helps him handle players' mistakes is his own mistakes. Said he keeps a book of mistakes, which also includes solutions. He started when he was an assistant under Johnny Majors. Said he writes in it 12 months a year because he makes mistakes 12 months a year, "and if you don't believe me, ask my wife."

Good to know we go 2 deep now on the Tuesday Duke football report depth chart. ;)

Thanks for the info.

Now, if we can figure out how to give up less 3rd and long deep pass completions...

Bob Green
10-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the report, Oly!

Duncan playing is huge for the offense so getting in some work at practice today is an important first step. The offense revolves around achieving success with the inside run play. The other plays work better when the defense has to focus on clogging the middle. Specifically, the offense clicks when the defense has to commit an extra man to clogging up the middle.

Play action, wide receiver screen, QB moving outside the pocket and passing downfield, outside run...the offense needs to successfully run inside first to set-up these plays and having Jela Duncan available is critical to achieving success with the inside run.

My two cents!

grossbus
10-04-2016, 04:22 PM
we gotta tackle better.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Good to know we go 2 deep now on the Tuesday Duke football report depth...

You ought to see him throw the bubble screen.

SilkyJ
10-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Posted this elsewhere--but is there a transcript/video/recap of coach K's presser on 10/4? Oly made reference to attending it (in addition to Cut's), but haven't seen anything on it...

jimsumner
10-10-2016, 12:18 PM
I might not be able to pull this off tomorrow, electricity and internet currently being in short supply in my neck of the woods.

SilkyJ
10-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Well good luck!