PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Matthew

Devilwin
10-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Hurricane Matthew looks like it could quite possibly make landfall on the coast of the Carolinas. Governor McCrory has 66 eastern counties under a state of emergency. If you live along the coast, please take heed, listen to all reports, and do what you must do to remain safe. This storm is beginning to take a more westerly track, so please keep informed. Evacuate if ordered to do so, don't be hard headed!:(

DUKIECB
10-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Yep been following this one. Track keeps edgeing more and more west. Prayers for all those in Haiti tonight.

-jk
10-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Matthew's quite the storm - it's trying really hard to thread the Windward Passage between Haiti and Cuba. Most hurricanes crossing the Greater Antilles lose a lot of punch (and drop a lot of rain) over the mountains.

I've always been fascinated with the looped cones: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2016/graphics/al14/loop_5W.shtml

-jk

77devil
10-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Matthew's quite the storm - it's trying really hard to thread the Windward Passage between Haiti and Cuba. Most hurricanes crossing the Greater Antilles lose a lot of punch (and drop a lot of rain) over the mountains.

I've always been fascinated with the looped cones: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2016/graphics/al14/loop_5W.shtml

-jk

Currently on Hilton Head Island with Mrs. 77devil and our two labs considering how long to wait before deciding to leave or not. We were at ground zero in south Coral Gables, FL for Andrew in 1992. 11 foot tidal surge at our house and no utility provided water and power for 16 and 26 days respectively. I hope the cone moves east, but off to Home Depot to buy supplies to protect the house just in case. If you wait, it's too late.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Currently on Hilton Head Island with Mrs. 77devil and our two labs considering how long to wait before deciding to leave or not. We were at ground zero in south Coral Gables, FL for Andrew in 1992. 11 foot tidal surge at our house and no utility provided water and power for 16 and 26 days respectively. I hope the cone moves east, but off to Home Depot to buy supplies to protect the house just in case. If you wait, it's too late.

HHI is pretty flat and low, and they are predicting several FEET of rain in the Caribbean. Don't wait too long, especially if you are trying to head north (along the path) instead of inland towards ATL or CLT.

BigWayne
10-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Cuba, Haiti, and the Bahamas are going to just get hammered. The track for Florida and the Carolinas is ominous, but they might get lucky if it goes a bit east of predicted.

The Battle for Atlantis in late November might have to find another home.

DUKIECB
10-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Cuba, Haiti, and the Bahamas are going to just get hammered. The track for Florida and the Carolinas is ominous, but they might get lucky if it goes a bit east of predicted.

The Battle for Atlantis in late November might have to find another home.Yeah this is shaping up to be a destructive path because currently it shows the center staying just off the coast but close enough to impact the entire southeastern seaboard. The models are beginning to agree more and more and it looks like landfall in the US (probably NC) is now more than likely.

I just hate it for those folks in Haiti. It seems they have to endure natural disasters far too frequently and they have have almost no means to deal with it. Very sad. I was just reading last night that the earthquake and subsequent cholera outbreak killed 230,000 people.

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Bought the last small generator (900w) at Walmart in New Bern today. My hopes of being able to at least make the trip to Durham and help setup/cook for tailgate are dwindling fast. Loaded up on batteries and flashlights, too, many of which were sold out. (Gas cans were also sold out unless you could settle for a 1 gallon.)

BD80
10-04-2016, 03:38 PM
... The Battle for Atlantis in late November might have to find another home.

Or they'll have to find where Matthew moved the current home. Atlantis is supposed to be underwater, isn't it?

rasputin
10-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Or they'll have to find where Matthew moved the current home. Atlantis is supposed to be underwater, isn't it?

The continent of Atlantis was an island . . .

Devilwin
10-04-2016, 04:35 PM
SC is evacuating the coastal areas beginning 3pm tomorrow. Mandatory too. National Guard called out. Still too early to know Matthew's exact track, but landfall between Myrtle and Wilmington seems likely. Remember Hazel? 1954, October.Nearly the same track...

howardlander
10-04-2016, 04:38 PM
SC is evacuating the coastal areas beginning 3pm tomorrow. Mandatory too. National Guard called out. Still too early to know Matthew's exact track, but landfall between Myrtle and Wilmington seems likely. Remember Hazel? 1954, October.Nearly the same track...

Here's an interesting site for storm tracking: http://ruc.noaa.gov/tracks/

My buddy who is a physical oceanographer says the GFDL ensemble is usually the most reliable.

Howard

rsvman
10-04-2016, 05:09 PM
My wife and I just had our 25th anniversary and we had a vacation trip planned. We decided to go to, of all places, MIAMI! We bought plane tickets about two months ago. We are supposed to be flying out of Norfolk, VA to Miami on Friday late afternoon. Thanks a lot, Matthew. Sheesh. I finally get a chance to go on vacation and now this?!?

Not to mention that I live 20 miles from the Atlantic in Chesapeake, about 60 miles north and slightly west of the Outer Banks, so my home is likely to get hammered, too. Luckily, my wife had a tree guy take out a 100-foot tall tree that was looking a bit weak; we just got it taken down last week, before we even knew Matthew existed. So at least that baby won't be coming down onto my house!

weezie
10-04-2016, 05:13 PM
...Luckily, my wife had a tree guy take out a 100-foot tall tree that was looking a bit weak; we just got it taken down last week, before we even knew Matthew existed. So at least that baby won't be coming down onto my house!

I should print this to show the husband who is still bellyaching about the big, sick oak tree that I had taken down two years ago. That monster tree had been hit during a storm and looked ominous.
And good luck down there. We know Sandbridge Beach well. Storm shutters being rolled down all over the peninsula.

77devil
10-04-2016, 05:16 PM
HHI is pretty flat and low, and they are predicting several FEET of rain in the Caribbean. Don't wait too long, especially if you are trying to head north (along the path) instead of inland towards ATL or CLT.

Out of here tomorrow morning. Gonna be a mess.

Bob Green
10-04-2016, 05:17 PM
I just hate it for those folks in Haiti. It seems they have to endure natural disasters far too frequently and they have have almost no means to deal with it.

The aircraft carrier USS George Washington and amphibious transport dock USS Mesa Verde sortied today, with the hospital ship USNS Comfort scheduled to sail tomorrow...

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/navy-prepares-hospital-ship-aircraft-carrier-to-render-aid-in/article_1de76c87-94d8-5576-9a93-1c4100ed7247.html

It's unclear if the ships will be called upon to render aid, but the Navy wanted to get them into a position to quickly help. The military also has put nine helicopters and 100 personnel in Grand Cayman Island to respond if asked to by the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Devilwin
10-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Latest projection is moving Matthew a bit more to the east, which is good, but still landfall along the Outer Banks still very possible.
I mentioned Hazel. I don't recall it, was only two, but old timers speak in quiet, reserved terms of that beast. She was more powerful than Matthew will be when she hit.
Nearly destroyed our coastline. Long Beach, for example, saw only five of 357 structures still standing after she left! Authorities said that everything from the Cape Fear River to the SC/NC line was wiped clean, like the hand of God...:eek:

OldPhiKap
10-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Out of here tomorrow morning. Gonna be a mess.

Travel safe.

DUKIECB
10-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Good news for NC coastal areas as the updated track has shifted significantly to the east by the weekend. Florida is still on alert as any fluctuation to the west at all will have the storm making landfall there.

sagegrouse
10-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Good news for NC coastal areas as the updated track has shifted significantly to the east by the weekend. Florida is still on alert as any fluctuation to the west at all will have the storm making landfall there.

As DevilDeac noted on the Army football thread, forecasts have Matthew slowing down and the potential path becoming somewhat confused (https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-matthew-haiti-cuba-bahamas-us-forecast). For example, Saturday AM has the storm off of north Florida. Then the potential path shows even a circular course headed back south. Hunh??!! Mebbe this bad boy will stay away from the Carolinas -- I hope.

CameronBornAndBred
10-05-2016, 08:58 AM

Yep!!! I am once again making my plans to be at the game this weekend. :D

cato
10-05-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm really hoping this storm stays east. My mom is in south Florida, north of Miami, and the track is uncomfortably close to her right now.

Indoor66
10-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm really hoping this storm stays east. My mom is in south Florida, north of Miami, and the track is uncomfortably close to her right now.

I know that feeling. :mad::cool:

devildeac
10-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Chance of rain in Derm on Saturday down to 60% from 90-100% estimations from yesterday.

BigWayne
10-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Latest projection is moving Matthew a bit more to the east, which is good, but still landfall along the Outer Banks still very possible.
I mentioned Hazel. I don't recall it, was only two, but old timers speak in quiet, reserved terms of that beast. She was more powerful than Matthew will be when she hit.
Nearly destroyed our coastline. Long Beach, for example, saw only five of 357 structures still standing after she left! Authorities said that everything from the Cape Fear River to the SC/NC line was wiped clean, like the hand of God...:eek: I saw the area in TX where Alicia (1983) came ashore a few months later. It was kinda like that. For a mile or two, the only human evidence other than the road was a few stilts where houses used to be.

BigWayne
10-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Here's an interesting site for storm tracking: http://ruc.noaa.gov/tracks/

My buddy who is a physical oceanographer says the GFDL ensemble is usually the most reliable.

Howard

Thanks for that link. Really great site. I have been watching these plots and the discussions the NOAA people post for about 20 years now, way before they were easy to find on the internet like they are now. Used to have to get them from odd places, like the University of Hawaii website.

GFDL is the best one to look at. However, the most important thing is when most of the models you see here generally agree, (https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Hurricane-Matthew?map=model) you can expect the actual track to be pretty close to the middle of what they show. That's the case for Matthew to rake the coast of Florida the next couple days.

This one is very odd in that it is predicted to run almost exactly up the coastline from Palm Beach to Wilmington. A few miles to either side will make a huge difference in the impact, and also in the future progress. If it goes a bit west and goes over land in south Florida, the impact there will be huge, but it likely reduces the impacts further north. A bit to the east and it will likely damage a much larger area, but not as badly in any one spot.

Also, the current GFDL track has Nassau taking a pretty direct hit. Glad Duke isn't scheduled to play there this year.

Devilwin
10-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Latest has the storm grazing SC, then heading east. NC gets spared for the most part, but the beaches will see 50-80 mph wind and 3-6 inches of rain. Raleigh Durham area around two inches of rain, Greensboro less than an inch. Just got this info from Fox 8 ten minutes ago.

JasonEvans
10-05-2016, 05:51 PM
I am no hurricane expert, but it sure looks like a lot of these tracking forecasts have the storm grazing Florida/Ga/Carolina and then heading east, out to sea... but they then see it turning southwest and heading back toward Florida. This could be one of those rare double-dippers that wallops some place like West Palm or Daytona twice!

Nasty!

Olympic Fan
10-05-2016, 06:04 PM
They have also slowed the passage of the storm -- earlier models had it hitting or grazing the NC coast at dawn Saturday, which would have put it in position to punish the Triangle by late afternoon.

Now the projections have it off Charleston, SC at 2 p.m. Saturday -- even if it doesn't turn east, it's not likely to hit the Triangle until Sunday.

DUKIECB
10-06-2016, 09:04 AM
The pressure dropped 21 mb from 961 to 940 from 11pm last night to 8am this morning. That is significant and a sure sign Matthew is rapidly intensifying. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues when the 11am update is released. The wind speed in a hurricane usually lags somewhat behind the pressure dropping so it would not surprise me to see the winds increase further. Also, it still has 12-16 hours of time over very warm water with very little land interaction to continue to strengthen. If the track is west of where they think by even 20 miles this could be devastating.

Almost the entire east coast of Florida could be in for a rough ride. We are talking about a potential upper level cat 4 hurricane buzzing an area of coast line over 300 miles long.

sagegrouse
10-06-2016, 09:12 AM
The GFDL model is a real disaster. It tracks the entire Southeast coast from just north of Miami to the North Carolina line. Moreover, the heaviest part of the storm is the northeast quadrant that blows directly on shore with its counter-clockwise winds. I hope there is a move to sea, as does my family in Charleston.

devildeac
10-06-2016, 09:16 AM
This is bizarro:

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201614_5day.gif

Look closely at the "predictions" for Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-06-2016, 09:44 AM
This is bizarro:

Look closely at the "predictions" for Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Yeah, I have heard grumblings that Matthew might come back for a second run at FL. That just doesn't seem fair.

JasonEvans
10-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I have heard grumblings that Matthew might come back for a second run at FL. That just doesn't seem fair.

Latest predictions by the various models--

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3fe28c8b5f&view=fimg&th=1579b52cb2332152&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_1579b5296dea5175&attbid=ANGjdJ_th4RxpAAt-FL44TOHWF5P8YmJ0VTWBhJYa7uVkE4W-su-CpZ3CaadncTFtV0t90dwstyHTCkN32Tz8eAbH-QH-rLOKjWMIxy4gA1zr67f1QnM-p-hzlwhnj4&sz=w1078-h1390&ats=1475779679761&rm=1579b52cb2332152&zw&atsh=1

It does seem like Matthew is tracking a shade more to the east then the early morning model runs expected, which may spare Florida a little bit on its first pass. Also, the experts are saying there is a good bit of high altitude wind shear around the time Matthew is expected to make its turn back to the SW for its second shot at Florida. If that happens, we may see it go all the way down to just a tropical storm and not be a hurricane any longer.

-Jason "it may sound like I know what I am talking about, but I don't" Evans

Indoor66
10-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Jason "it may sound like I know what I am talking about, but I don't" Evans

This is new? 😁😎

JasonEvans
10-06-2016, 02:59 PM
This is new? 😁😎

Yes, I just sporked Indoor for nailing me ;)

budwom
10-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Latest predictions by the various models--

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3fe28c8b5f&view=fimg&th=1579b52cb2332152&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_1579b5296dea5175&attbid=ANGjdJ_th4RxpAAt-FL44TOHWF5P8YmJ0VTWBhJYa7uVkE4W-su-CpZ3CaadncTFtV0t90dwstyHTCkN32Tz8eAbH-QH-rLOKjWMIxy4gA1zr67f1QnM-p-hzlwhnj4&sz=w1078-h1390&ats=1475779679761&rm=1579b52cb2332152&zw&atsh=1

It does seem like Matthew is tracking a shade more to the east then the early morning model runs expected, which may spare Florida a little bit on its first pass. Also, the experts are saying there is a good bit of high altitude wind shear around the time Matthew is expected to make its turn back to the SW for its second shot at Florida. If that happens, we may see it go all the way down to just a tropical storm and not be a hurricane any longer.

I dunno, the center of the Amorphous Cone of Possibility still has places like Daytona/Melbourne pretty much lined up....gonna be interesting to watch, Jim Cantore is in seventh heaven....I suspect some place in Florida
is going to take a lashing...

wilson
10-06-2016, 04:58 PM
You know it's bad when Disney World is closed (http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/06/walt-disney-world-closes-for-just-4th-time-ever-as-hurricane-matthew-nears.html).

BLPOG
10-06-2016, 05:11 PM
You know it's bad when Disney World is closed (http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/06/walt-disney-world-closes-for-just-4th-time-ever-as-hurricane-matthew-nears.html).

I wouldn't get worried until the local Waffle House (http://www.eater.com/2016/10/4/13167326/waffle-house-staying-open-hurricane-matthew) closes (although apparently those in mandatory evacuation areas will briefly close). The Waffle House index (http://www.businessinsider.com/waffle-house-index-and-hurricane-matthew-2016-10) has been in use for years.

OldPhiKap
10-06-2016, 06:45 PM
If devildeac is wearing his kilt to the football game Saturday, someone please warn him about updrafts. No offense, but he's no Marylin Monroe.

Indoor66
10-06-2016, 07:03 PM
If devildeac is wearing his kilt to the football game Saturday, someone please warn him about updrafts. No offense, but he's no Marylin Monroe.

But I heard he has great legs....😥😈😎

OldPhiKap
10-06-2016, 07:06 PM
But I heard he has great legs...😥😈😎

But does he know how to use them?

And more importantly -- if you can answer that question, how do you know?

Just, you know -- asking for a friend.

BigWayne
10-06-2016, 07:20 PM

Lot of us fall in that category. Basically varying levels of guessing.

I can almost guarantee the actual track is going to be east of where the forecast is. The forecast is purposely skewed towards the highest concentration of people to get more compliance with evacuation goals.

In any event, my educated (to some degree) guess is that this thing is going to come scooting up the coast with the center staying between 30-50 miles offshore from Palm Beach all the way to Wilmington. The worst damage will happen in the Daytona Beach area, partly because of the timing of tides. I expect there will be a Weather Channel guy standing on the boardwalk in Daytona at sunrise if they aren't already there.

I don't believe any of the looping around and coming back to Florida plots and forecasts. I think it will go offshore somewhere between Charleston and Wilmington and head for Europe.

devildeac
10-06-2016, 07:20 PM
But does he know how to use them?

And more importantly -- if you can answer that question, how do you know?

Just, you know -- asking for a friend.

And I know how to choose them...

Furniture
10-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Any opinion of what it will be like in Orlando. Some of my wife's brasillian family are there. You don't get these things in Brazil so the whole family is going crazy!

sagegrouse
10-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Any opinion of what it will be like in Orlando. Some of my wife's brasillian family are there. You don't get these things in Brazil so the whole family is going crazy!

Lots of wind but absolutely no possibility of a storm surge, where the worst damage occurs. Tree work and roof repairs would be my guess.

BigWayne
10-06-2016, 08:13 PM

They will get waves of serious thunderstorms from now until Friday afternoon. They will probably have a lot of trees blow down because the wind is going to blow from the North most of the time and the ground is going to get waterlogged.

BLPOG
10-06-2016, 08:31 PM

Shouldn't be too much cause for concern unless it intensifies a lot over the next few hours. They'll lose power and might have some damage depending on roof type/condition, or if they haven't boarded/shuttered windows and there's debris around. According to the most recent Melbourne, FL advisory (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/WTUS82-KMLB.shtml) they'll receive Hurricane force winds, but I'd expect them to be on the low side and Florida homes are built for them. Just hope for no tornadoes. That - or living in a mobile home, or doing something stupid like going outside during a lull/touching downed power lines while scavenging for neat traffic light souvenirs - is where the real danger lies.

Newton_14
10-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Yep been following this one. Track keeps edgeing more and more west. Prayers for all those in Haiti tonight.
Devastation in Haiti unfortunately. Death toll currently at 264. I have friends trying to book flights now to get there as soon as possible to help. I also have a coworker who was born and raised in South Haiti. He was trying all day to get a report/status on family members there but just not possible yet. The pictures coming out so far are terrible. The last thing that Country needed......

Newton_14
10-06-2016, 10:14 PM
So some idiot in South Carolina arose yesterday and got on the road evacuating. (You won't believe where this is headed and ends!)... He apparently loses patience with the pace of the traffic evacuating, and apparently disagrees with the State on the spot where police are redirecting the traffic along the evacuation route. So what does he do?? gets out of his car, moves the cones and takes off down the empty road in the direction police were not allowing cars to travel. But wait, there's more! The cops chase him and he eventually ends up on a dead end road so they have him trapped. What does this genius do? Gets out of his car, and starts shooting at the police officers! Who of course return fire. Dude made it through the night and then died this morning...

So you start your day evacuating due to a hurricane..... Its nuts! This is just one of the dumbest things I have read in my life. Unreal!

AND PLEASE NO COMMENTARY ON POLICY OR GUN CONTROL OR ANYTHING OF THE NATURE IN REPLIES!

You can read about it on CNN's main article covering Matthew.

OldPhiKap
10-06-2016, 10:38 PM
So some idiot in South Carolina arose yesterday and got on the road evacuating. (You won't believe where this is headed and ends!)... He apparently loses patience with the pace of the traffic evacuating, and apparently disagrees with the State on the spot where police are redirecting the traffic along the evacuation route. So what does he do?? gets out of his car, moves the cones and takes off down the empty road in the direction police were not allowing cars to travel. But wait, there's more! The cops chase him and he eventually ends up on a dead end road so they have him trapped. What does this genius do? Gets out of his car, and starts shooting at the police officers! Who of course return fire. Dude made it through the night and then died this morning...

So you start your day evacuating due to a hurricane.... Its nuts! This is just one of the dumbest things I have read in my life. Unreal!

AND PLEASE NO COMMENTARY ON POLICY OR GUN CONTROL OR ANYTHING OF THE NATURE IN REPLIES!

You can read about it on CNN's main article covering Matthew.

Darwin is real.

camion
10-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Darwin is real.

Naturally.

JBDuke
10-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Link to a live Reddit thread with lots of updates and good links:

https://www.reddit.com/live/xpidtdeqm42u/

BD80
10-07-2016, 06:23 AM
Darwin is real.

Only if he hadn't yet reproduced. (Fingers crossed!)

But is he at least a Willem Dafoe?

77devil
10-07-2016, 06:38 AM

I can almost guarantee the actual track is going to be east of where the forecast is. The forecast is purposely skewed towards the highest concentration of people to get more compliance with evacuation goals.

In any event, my educated (to some degree) guess is that this thing is going to come scooting up the coast with the center staying between 30-50 miles offshore from Palm Beach all the way to Wilmington. The worst damage will happen in the Daytona Beach area, partly because of the timing of tides. I expect there will be a Weather Channel guy standing on the boardwalk in Daytona at sunrise if they aren't already there.

I don't believe any of the looping around and coming back to Florida plots and forecasts. I think it will go offshore somewhere between Charleston and Wilmington and head for Europe.

So far you are correct BW. Hoping for more easterly movement in the next 24 to spare HHI the worst of it.

OldPhiKap
10-07-2016, 07:06 AM
But is he at least a Willem Dafoe?

At least.

Indoor66
10-07-2016, 07:09 AM
I am in Hillsboro Beach and relocated to a friend west of 95 to get off the beach. As it turns out I had no need to leave. This morning it is uvercast with 5 to 10 MPH breezes. The parking lot and the top over the carports for the building are bone dry. Matthew, in this area, was more bust than boom.

OldPhiKap
10-07-2016, 09:01 AM
I am in Hillsboro Beach and relocated to a friend west of 95 to get off the beach. As it turns out I had no need to leave. This morning it is uvercast with 5 to 10 MPH breezes. The parking lot and the top over the carports for the building are bone dry. Matthew, in this area, was more bust than boom.

Glad to hear.

Prayers for those in the line of the storm.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear.

Prayers for those in the line of the storm.

I'm still unclear as to the path of the storm. All that reassurance from yesterday that Matthew would slip off to the East seems a bit... optimistic right now.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 09:20 AM

:confused:

New Florida weather terminology?

;):rolleyes:

devildeac
10-07-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm still unclear as to the path of the storm. All that reassurance from yesterday that Matthew would slip off to the East seems a bit... optimistic right now.

You and the Weather Channel and NOAA :p .

Hope this helps:

Will the Circle Be Unbroken?

:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-07-2016, 09:26 AM

No, new Florida tourism slogan.

"Florida beaches: more bust than boom"

(Sometimes, it's not all about the bass)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2016, 09:27 AM
You and the Weather Channel and NOAA :p .

Hope this helps:

Will the Circle Be Unbroken?

:rolleyes:

I'd seen that projection at some point, and while it certainly doesn't bode well for folks in that region, it seems to largely spare the NC coast. It also seems likely that if it swings out back over the Atlantic and the warm Gulf Stream, it's likely to re-energize. Could be an extremely unique and nasty event.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 09:55 AM
No, new Florida tourism slogan.

"Florida beaches: more bust than boom"

(Sometimes, it's not all about the bass)

Be careful what you wish for...

BigWayne
10-07-2016, 09:56 AM

It is staying east of the forecast tracks. This makes the peak damage much less, but it allows it to damage a much larger area because it keeps it going with the eye staying over water.

The orientation of the coast means the NE quadrant is staying over water, which is usually the worst part of the storm. Hopefully by the time the coast curves around north of Savannah, the overall strength of the storm has reduced.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 09:57 AM
I'd seen that projection at some point, and while it certainly doesn't bode well for folks in that region, it seems to largely spare the NC coast. It also seems likely that if it swings out back over the Atlantic and the warm Gulf Stream, it's likely to re-energize. Could be an extremely unique and nasty event.

Sometime in the last decade or so, I seem to recall that one of the storms made a loop-de-loop (sp?) or buttonhook pattern and went across Florida twice. Unfair and nasty, I agree.

BD80
10-07-2016, 10:21 AM
"uvercast"

Is that the app on your phone to get someone to start fishing for you?

devildeac
10-07-2016, 11:08 AM
"uvercast"

Is that the app on your phone to get someone to start fishing for you?

I thought it was the one to summon a ride instead of a regular taxi.

:o

budwom
10-07-2016, 11:59 AM

I think you bring up a very interesting point. I really enjoy studying weather, and am a big fan of following weather geeky stuff....you mention that you think they might skew the path of the storm
towards populated areas to get people to pay attention. I really don't think they do that, this is pretty scientific stuff and the guys who do the forecasting are dead serious and are judged
on their accuracy....but what you say is definitely plausible....I may have to investigate....I'd bet a modest sum they don't perform this skewage, but would love to know.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2016, 12:03 PM
I think you bring up a very interesting point. I really enjoy studying weather, and am a big fan of following weather geeky stuff...you mention that you think they might skew the path of the storm
towards populated areas to get people to pay attention. I really don't think they do that, this is pretty scientific stuff and the guys who do the forecasting are dead serious and are judged
on their accuracy...but what you say is definitely plausible...I may have to investigate...I'd bet a modest sum they don't perform this skewage, but would love to know.

I am also a novice weather geek. I think it is more akin to what they do here in Asheville with snow forecasts. They error on the side of caution to make sure people are safe and end up looking like Chicken Little.

In this instance, the storm is hugging the coast and therefore the population centers; no conspiracy theories necessary.

budwom
10-07-2016, 12:25 PM
I am also a novice weather geek. I think it is more akin to what they do here in Asheville with snow forecasts. They error on the side of caution to make sure people are safe and end up looking like Chicken Little.

In this instance, the storm is hugging the coast and therefore the population centers; no conspiracy theories necessary.

Right, but Wayne's point (I believe) was that they skewed the path westward to get people's attention...(are you implying they didn't have to skew, in which case I agree)?

Since our local Weather Service office is in our airport, I sometimes stop by and chat with the meteorologists there...very interesting stuff, and
they like being in a place like Vermont with lots of weather variability and forecasting challenges (as opposed to a place like Santa Barbara, for example.

sagegrouse
10-07-2016, 12:40 PM
As an armchair meteorologist and a veteran of hurricanes in my yout' in Charleston, I don't like what I see on the storm track (https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-matthew-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast). First, the storm is already west of Charleston (80th longitude). Second it has been heading NNW for the past couple of days. It needs to seriously bend to avoid making landfall in South Carolina and hitting North Carolina hard. Maybe the forecast bend will happen, but it hasn't occurred yet.

My brother will leave his sea island home and stay with Mom (>90), so I hope the family will be OK. And maybe this storm will bend out to sea.

budwom
10-07-2016, 12:50 PM
yup, bendage is required for Charleston, that's for sure, Sage...the models tend to be pretty good on this stuff, but hardly flawless.
I remember dodging a hurricane years ago (on my way to the Outer Banks), one which came thru SC and NC...we took refuge
on the way in Charlottesville, and we awoke the next morning to find the storm, spawning tornadoes, right there in C-ville, which
was not at all what was predicted.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 12:57 PM
As an armchair meteorologist and a veteran of hurricanes in my yout' in Charleston, I don't like what I see on the storm track (https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-matthew-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast). First, the storm is already west of Charleston (80th longitude). Second it has been heading NNW for the past couple of days. It needs to seriously bend to avoid making landfall in South Carolina and hitting North Carolina hard. Maybe the forecast bend will happen, but it hasn't occurred yet.

My brother will leave his sea island home and stay with Mom (>90), so I hope the family will be OK. And maybe this storm will bend out to sea.

yup, bendage is required for Charleston, that's for sure, Sage...the models tend to be pretty good on this stuff, but hardly flawless.
I remember dodging a hurricane years ago (on my way to the Outer Banks), one which came thru SC and NC...we took refuge
on the way in Charlottesville, and we awoke the next morning to find the storm, spawning tornadoes, right there in C-ville, which
was not at all what was predicted.

Here's another prognostication (aka guess) from 1100 today:

Indoor66
10-07-2016, 01:00 PM

Actually, a cell phone and club fingers! 😈😥😎

sagegrouse
10-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Now the TV guys say, "it's wobbling left." Not good news for the coast.

And, by the way, "wobble left" is just what Hugo did in 1989 before hitting the South Carolina coast with a dead hit.

Indoor66
10-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Sometime in the last decade or so, I seem to recall that one of the storms made a loop-de-loop (sp?) or buttonhook pattern and went across Florida twice. Unfair and nasty, I agree.

I believe that was Charley.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Roger.

BLPOG
10-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Charley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley) was what I recalled as well, although that was not strictly a loop but rather a curve that had its vertex on Cuba and therefore hit a very large area of Florida.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Charley_2004_track.png

As it happens, Frances (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Frances) and Jeanne (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Jeanne) both did the same thing, with their curves being centered on Florida.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Frances_2004_track.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Jeanne_2004_track.png

The only one to complete the true loop was none other than Ivan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ivan), although it was no longer a hurricane when its remnants showed back up, and it hit different parts of the state.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Ivan_2004_track.png

Roger.

Boy, I am glad the 2004 hurricane season is over.

rthomas
10-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Good site for hurricane weather info: http://www.tropicaltidbits.com

Friday morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQDfzioja6k

Olympic Fan
10-07-2016, 03:11 PM
I heard a weather expert talking about the potential for a loop last night on CNN (or was it MSNBC? I was switching back and forth).

He thought a loop was very likely, but didn't seem concerned -- he said that after looping over the relatively cold mid-Atlantic, it would be a mere Tropical Storm when it re-crossed its path.

DUKIECB
10-07-2016, 04:24 PM
I heard a weather expert talking about the potential for a loop last night on CNN (or was it MSNBC? I was switching back and forth).

He thought a loop was very likely, but didn't seem concerned -- he said that after looping over the relatively cold mid-Atlantic, it would be a mere Tropical Storm when it re-crossed its path.He is right and that is what the hurricane center is predicting to happen at this point. However, if it doesn't dissipate completely and stays on that path it will eventually re-enter warmer waters and has the potential to enter the gulf like Ivan did. Depending on the atmospheric conditions at that time (still a week away) re-strengthening could occur. The water in the gulf is warm and if the conditions were favorable it doesn't take storms long to ramp up considerably there.

Not saying it will happen but definitely a possibility.

OldPhiKap
10-07-2016, 04:37 PM
A tropical storm can do a lot of damage.

A tropical storm hitting a place with saturated soils, weakened trees, debris in the streets, lack of power, sporatic utility service, and stretched/tired first responders can be very problematic.

Tough week to live in the Jacksonville-Daytona Beach corridor.

Tripping William
10-07-2016, 04:58 PM
The 5:00 p.m. NOAA/NHC advisory (and attendant maps (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl#contents)) have been posted. Looks like the storm has weakened a bit; they no longer explicitly reference it as being a Category 3, although they do say sustained winds are at 110 mph (which is Cat-3 territory). The pressure has come up a bit, to 948 mb. Tracking now due north, headed for Savannah, but still, currently, predicted to take a bit of a right turn and always to stay offshore.

Looks like Florida avoided the worst-case scenario, although I'd imagine things were still a rough ride today from Melbourne to Jacksonville.

BigWayne
10-07-2016, 09:00 PM

South Carolina coast is definitely in a bit of danger. Until the last few hours, the storm has been consistently been staying to the east of the GFDL model. The last 6 hours or so, it is staying with the GFDL model. The GFDL model right now shows the center of the eye on the beach for about 60 miles centered on Charleston. Hopefully it will weaken a bit over the next few hours.

BigWayne
10-07-2016, 09:09 PM
I think you bring up a very interesting point. I really enjoy studying weather, and am a big fan of following weather geeky stuff...you mention that you think they might skew the path of the storm
on their accuracy...but what you say is definitely plausible...I may have to investigate...I'd bet a modest sum they don't perform this skewage, but would love to know.

If you go to wunderground.com and look at the hurricane page and click on storm details, you will see a few paragraphs of text discussing the rationale for the forecasts ending with the data like below that gets put into those forecast maps:

Init 07/2100z 30.2n 80.7w 95 kt 110 mph
12h 08/0600z 31.7n 80.7w 90 kt 105 mph
24h 08/1800z 33.0n 79.0w 80 kt 90 mph
36h 09/0600z 33.8n 76.7w 65 kt 75 mph
48h 09/1800z 33.5n 75.0w 60 kt 70 mph
72h 10/1800z 30.0n 74.5w 40 kt 45 mph
96h 11/1800z 27.0n 76.0w 35 kt 40 mph
120h 12/1800z 26.0n 77.0w 30 kt 35 mph
$$

forecaster Avila

You will also see the forecaster's name. In this case Avila. Avila has been there a long time. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/qa/qa_201009_lixion_avila.shtml)

You used to have to know some obscure websites to be able to see these writeups and they were written with a lot of meteorologist lingo that the average person wouldn't be able to figure out. They were not used to the general public looking at this stuff. At that time, they would specifically mention that they would make the forecast with the goal of making sure people that needed to evacuate did so. I believe I recall him once referring to it as the forecast of least regret.

BigWayne
10-07-2016, 09:17 PM
He is right and that is what the hurricane center is predicting to happen at this point. However, if it doesn't dissipate completely and stays on that path it will eventually re-enter warmer waters and has the potential to enter the gulf like Ivan did. Depending on the atmospheric conditions at that time (still a week away) re-strengthening could occur. The water in the gulf is warm and if the conditions were favorable it doesn't take storms long to ramp up considerably there.

Not saying it will happen but definitely a possibility.

It's possible, but extremely unlikely. I think the Nicole storm is messing up their models beyond a day or two. If Matthew starts to try to turn south, I think the interaction with Nicole will prevent it heading back to Florida and doing any damage. Of course, it's all just guessing.

Newton_14
10-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks for that! I was banging my head trying to remember the storm that made it to Canada and back! It was Ivan! Also I remember Charlie well. I had a golf tournament and it got cancelled and we had to play it a week later. Had my swing all dialed in and then could not hit the broadside of a barn the week later.:mad:

Charley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Charley) was what I recalled as well, although that was not strictly a loop but rather a curve that had its vertex on Cuba and therefore hit a very large area of Florida.

As it happens, Frances (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Frances) and Jeanne (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Jeanne) both did the same thing, with their curves being centered on Florida.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Frances_2004_track.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Jeanne_2004_track.png

The only one to complete the true loop was none other than Ivan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ivan), although it was no longer a hurricane when its remnants showed back up, and it hit different parts of the state.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Ivan_2004_track.png

Boy, I am glad the 2004 hurricane season is over.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Here's another model:

BigWayne
10-08-2016, 02:48 AM
Good news is that it turned away from the coast somewhat and is starting to weaken. Looks like Charleston won't get hit too badly, but it looks like a really wet day for football in the triangle area.

Tripping William
10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Anybody have a sense of conditions in the southern Sandhills? My son is supposed to play in a youth golf tournament down there tomorrow afternoon. Thinking it ain't gonna happen....

diablesseblu
10-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Anybody have a sense of conditions in the southern Sandhills? My son is supposed to play in a youth golf tournament down there tomorrow afternoon. Thinking it ain't gonna happen...

Just talked to a friend who lives near there. They're getting some of the worst rain in the state, and its duration has been longer than for many of us near the coast. I cannot fathom (bad pun) how any tournament could be held tomorrow.

Devilwin
10-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Flooding near Candor. Friend said they've had nearly nine inches so far there. Storm didn't do the early easterly move they predicted.. Prayers for all of our friends down east.:(

wavedukefan70s
10-08-2016, 08:06 PM
We did ok in the charleston area.
Wasnt a picnic.wasnt hugo either.
Quite a few new roofs will be needed.power is back on for a lot of us.to be honest this storm was more stressful than hugo for me.
I had no one but me to take care of then.that being said.i would be happy never to be in a hurricane again.nothing compares to hearing a tree pop and wondering which end of the house to run too.

-jk
10-08-2016, 08:25 PM
We did ok in the charleston area.
Wasnt a picnic.wasnt hugo either.
Quite a few new roofs will be needed.power is back on for a lot of us.to be honest this storm was more stressful than hugo for me.
I had no one but me to take care of then.that being said.i would be happy never to be in a hurricane again.nothing compares to hearing a tree pop and wondering which end of the house to run too.

Trees "popping" is a visceral childhood memory of ice storms in NC. Except it was more like a cannon... Scary nonetheless.

-jk

Devilwin
10-09-2016, 07:00 AM
That much ballyhooed "turn to the east" never happened. Just glad we didn't get hit any worse than we did. Flooding will be an issue for several days however.
Gotta give the authorities credit, they were ready, and there's no telling how many people were not injured or worse because of the evac orders placed. All the meteorologists were talking about the turn ( a couple of models, however got the track right) and God knows what could have happened if many took the "not gonna be bad, I'll ride it out" attitude.

rthomas
10-09-2016, 08:43 AM
The flooding in coastal NC looks really bad on the Weather Channel. Good luck to everyone down there. Thinking about my peeps in coastal NC and SC.

Tripping William
10-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Golf tournament at Deercroft cancelled, not surprisingly.

budwom
10-09-2016, 09:39 AM
wearing lime green pants is always a good idea if you think you need to be rescued...there IS a purpose to golf...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-09-2016, 09:44 AM
If anyone has information or updates regarding Ocracoke Island, I would be appreciative

Bob Green
10-09-2016, 11:56 AM
We lost power in Hampton Roads at 8 pm last night and it came back on about an hour ago. The road in front of my house looks like a river. The good news is the water level is receding.

sagegrouse
10-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Here's a new one on this long-time hurricane tracker: Matthew's winds are still in hurricane range -- greater than 75 MPH -- but the storm is classified not as a hurricane but as a "post-tropical cyclone Matthew." Hmmm....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Here's a new one on this long-time hurricane tracker: Matthew's winds are still in hurricane range -- greater than 75 MPH -- but the storm is classified not as a hurricane but as a "post-tropical cyclone Matthew." Hmmm...

Answering my own questions about Ocracoke... here's a thread of pictures from the island. (http://www.obxconnection.com/outer-banks-forum/forum-thread.aspx?Thread=88008) Amazingly, the store in the background of the first picture is still open.

77devil
10-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Hilton Head Island was hammered but an overhead picture suggests the surge did not breach at my part of the island.. Not allowed to return yet.

Having lunch at the WaDuke on a beautiful day at dear old Duke.

BLPOG
10-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Here's a new one on this long-time hurricane tracker: Matthew's winds are still in hurricane range -- greater than 75 MPH -- but the storm is classified not as a hurricane but as a "post-tropical cyclone Matthew." Hmmm...

That's probably because it no longer has a well defined eye wall or other hurricane characteristics. It's just a bad storm with hurricane-force winds.

budwom
10-09-2016, 05:14 PM
That's probably because it no longer has a well defined eye wall or other hurricane characteristics. It's just a bad storm with hurricane-force winds.

yup, just a structural change, like he went from being a corporation to a partnership...good riddance.

sagegrouse
10-09-2016, 05:40 PM

Perhaps you would agree that the terminology is a bit like calling a "spade" a "non-mechanical excavation device?"

Tripping William
10-09-2016, 05:46 PM
wearing lime green pants is always a good idea if you think you need to be rescued...there IS a purpose to golf...

Who do you think I am? John Daly? :rolleyes:

BLPOG
10-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Perhaps you would agree that the terminology is a bit like calling a "spade" a "non-mechanical excavation device?"

But a spade is a mechanical excavation device!

Indoor66
10-09-2016, 07:12 PM

But if you want to ge out of the hole, let it go.

Newton_14
10-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Yes and the other thing that has always irritated me and will continue to do so.. the history books will reflect that Matthew never made Landfall in Florida, Georgia, and NC... yeah right... tell that to all those NC people whose homes are flooded, burned down, or torn apart by winds... to only refer to the eye as part of the hurricane is just idiotic in my view. The wind, rain, and storm surge begins with the outer bands, not the eye... but I digress....

The state is torn apart....and why people insist on trying to drive through water that has a road submerged and is flowing very powerfully blows my mind. That move and leaving the house to go out when it is not absolutely necessary are just terrible decisions that often lead to death.

sagegrouse
10-09-2016, 08:44 PM

But if you want to ge out of the hole, let it go.

Would you accept "un-mechanized/"

Devilwin
10-10-2016, 05:52 AM
News says 8 dead here in NC, 18 in the US. Also, the rivers down east are expected to continue to rise for around 2-3 days.

devildeac
10-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Sunday morning N&O reported 6.02" of rain for the period ending 1900 on 10/8, in the upper range of what local forecasters and the Weather Channel were predicting. There was another 0.19" that fell Saturday night through Sunday AM. I can't imagine how much more rain fell east of I-95, especially in coastal areas. Now, they have to deal with all the runoff from the central part of the state.

PackMan97
10-10-2016, 11:10 AM
nothing earth shattering...but some pretty cool shots of stormwater runoff in my neighborhood. Note: Empty space is our neighborhoods stormwater management plan. All of this is draining into Lake Wheeler just south of Raleigh.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZatrM

jimsumner
10-10-2016, 12:11 PM
We live in West Raleigh, inside the Beltline. We lost power around 11:30 A.M Saturday and still have no power; I'm at our daughter's now.

Duke Energy seems to have sent its crews somewhere else, because they aren't anywhere near our outage. In fact, they don't seem to be anywhere in Raleigh, not that I've seen and I spend a lot of time driving around because I can charge my phone that way and it's not like I have much else to do without electricity.

I can walk two blocks or less in all four directions from my house and find electricity. So, it's not like the grid is shredded. And nearby tree damage is minor.

Duke Energy's update system is useless. They are telling darn near everyone in Raleigh that power will be restored Sunday night at 11:45. Should be a heck of a power surge.

I don't think it will take that long. Certainly shouldn't. Duke energy has done that a lot recently, given a generic timetable that bears no relation to reality. They don't seem to have much inclination to actually give useful information.

But I'm pretty sure the lights aren't going to come on by themselves. Somebody is going to have to do the work and there don't seem to be a lot qualified somebodies floating around.

It was a dark day--pun intended--when regulators let Duke Energy gobble up Progress Energy. I've never been a big fan of monopolies but I can't believe C, P & L/Progress Energy would have treated the Triangle this way.

PackMan97
10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Duke Energy's update system is useless. They are telling darn near everyone in Raleigh that power will be restored Sunday night at 11:45. Should be a heck of a power surge.

We've got the same answer from Duke Engery down near Lake Wheeler. It's like the quit trying. They just updated everything with 11:45p Sunday night and left it at that. So awesome.

-jk
10-10-2016, 06:42 PM
We've got the same answer from Duke Engery down near Lake Wheeler. It's like the quit trying. They just updated everything with 11:45p Sunday night and left it at that. So awesome.

Sounds like Pepco in an emergency. They just cross their fingers and hope for the best. And they have too much outside help and can't coordinate it.

-jk

Devilwin
10-11-2016, 02:04 PM
14 dead now in NC. More rain fell on the sand hills around Moore and Richmond counties up to Wilson and Elizabeth City than fell on the coastline. Up to 15 inches.

jimsumner
10-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Power came back on in our neighborhood around 10:30 this morning, 71 hours after going out.

Traffic lights still out in West Raleigh.

devildeac
10-11-2016, 05:33 PM
today, the News and Observer reported up to 7.5" in some areas of Raleigh and other reports of 16" in various eastern NC towns. :eek:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Sources in Ocracoke say it was the most water in 70-80 years. Vicious storm.

77devil
10-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Power came back on in our neighborhood around 10:30 this morning, 71 hours after going out.

Traffic lights still out in West Raleigh.

I suspect a lot of crews had already been staged near the coast and deployed to other states in advance of Mathews. We were 26 days after Hurricane Andrew even with underground power. The U.S. grid is incredibly fragile.

Devilwin
10-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Tar and Neuse still rising at the rate of three inches per hour. Reporting an estimated 60,000 wells contaminated, 40,000 homes destroyed, and God knows how many swamped, useless cars. Neighborhoods cut off completely, no way in or out, people running low on life's necessities. Horrible situation, just horrible. Can you just imagine the clean up? All that ruined furniture and damaged beyond repair appliances? And people reporting run ins with gators and venomous snakes too.:(

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know of a good resource for eastern NC road conditions?

Devilwin
10-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Try this:
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvagnf5X4U4ALQgnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEycDVldDZ jBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDQjI2MDhfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1476333089/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wbtv.com%2fstory%2f15347260%2f hundreds-of-roads-closed-in-eastern-nc-dot-says/RK=0/RS=r4pad5lxte.Ap3EXI_w7FF7NKO4-

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Supposed to be in Ocracoke on Sunday, 10/23... Hyde County just announced Ocracoke will remain closed to visitors at least through this weekend.

DU82
10-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know of a good resource for eastern NC road conditions?

NCDOT Traveler Information Management System

http://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/

This information is reported by NCDOT's field division personnel, and is the source that all other sites use.