PDA

View Full Version : Harry Giles Left Knee Vigil

NashvilleDevil
10-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Adam Rowe just tweeted that Giles will be out about 6 weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Obviously not the news you want to hear.

Doctors and others in the know: is this surgery likely related to the ACL tear in Harry Giles's knee(s) or another incident? I assume ACL-related, but I have no idea.

nmduke2001
10-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Adam Rowe just tweeted that Giles will be out about 6 weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

ESPN Too

-------

Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

"Duke freshman Harry Giles had knee surgery on Monday and is expected to be out for six weeks. This isn't good news -- since he's recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in the first game of his high school season."

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

"Harry Giles underwent a successful left knee arthroscopy on Monday -- and typical recovery time is six weeks, per the school."

Steven43
10-03-2016, 01:55 PM
And thus it begins. Potentially devastating news. This is why I felt the signing of Marques Bolden was absolutely critical as I nsurance for Harry Giles. Though Giles might mostly play the 4 and Bolden the 5, it's still another big man to help fill the void left by Giles' absence.

rocketeli
10-03-2016, 01:58 PM
What's weird, although nice for Mr. Giles, is that even if he doesn't play most of the year, he'll still get drafted as a lottery pick.

devildeac
10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
I'll get this in early in the thread.

It's over...

Steven43
10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
What's weird, although nice for Mr. Giles, is that even if he doesn't play most of the year, he'll still get drafted as a lottery pick.

Don't you think GMs are eventually going to start shying away from a big man who keeps having knees injuries/problems? Staying healthy is the most important element of being a great basketball player.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 02:03 PM
"Duke freshman Harry Giles had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today. Slated to miss about 6 weeks. It's the same knee that he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus on prior to his sophomore season in high school. Sources told ESPN that injury wasn't rehabbed nearly as well as this past injury -- when he tore the ACL in his right knee the first game of his season year in high school."

Ichabod Drain
10-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Don't you think GMs are eventually going to start shying away from a big man who keeps having knees injuries/problems? Staying healthy is the most important element of being a great basketball player.

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach"

sagegrouse
10-03-2016, 02:25 PM
"Duke freshman Harry Giles had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today. Slated to miss about 6 weeks. It's the same knee that he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus on prior to his sophomore season in high school. Sources told ESPN that injury wasn't rehabbed nearly as well as this past injury -- when he tore the ACL in his right knee the first game of his season year in high school."

Let's get literal for a minute. "Six weeks" calculates out to be November 15, which would mean he would miss only two games and be back to face Kansas at Madison Square Garden. Anyone here buying that??? Not me! Maybe he'll be back for the ACC season. More likely, given the way the DBR faithful get tormented, he'll be back in March and do a reverse Kyrie -- the last eight (or 11) games of the season and then off to the NBA.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

Olympic Fan
10-03-2016, 02:32 PM

Greg Oden (picked before Kevin Durant) ... Sam Bowie (picked before Michael Jordan). Add Joel Embiid, who missed the last half of his senior season with an injury and was taken No. 3 (and still has not plaed in the NBA).

No, I don't think GMs learn a thing.

As for Harry, this is a blow, but six weeks from now is the middle of November ... just when the season starts. Obviously, going to take a while to get back into shape (especially after missing last season) and missing the entire preseason has to hurt, but he'll have a long time to get himself ready and work his way back into the rotation before conference play starts on Dec. 31 -- six weeks after his projected return.

Not great news, but not devastating either.

BTW: I agree that this issue emphasizes the importance of signing Marques Bolden late. Although he is a center and Giles a forward, Amile Jefferson has the flexibility to play either position. So instead of starting the season with Jefferson/Giles in the post, we start with Jefferson/Bolden ... and we still have Chase and Javin as post depth.

Wander
10-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Not great news, but not devastating either.

I agree. Although this supports my view that Duke didn't deserve to be in its own "tier" separated from every other team, a rotation of Grayson, Matt, Luke, Amile, Bolden, Jackson, and Tatum is still probably preseason #1 in the country.

superdave
10-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Let's get literal for a minute. "Six weeks" calculates out to be November 15, which would mean he would miss only two games and be back to face Kansas at Madison Square Garden. Anyone here buying that??? Not me! Maybe he'll be back for the ACC season. More likely, given the way the DBR faithful get tormented, he'll be back in March and do a reverse Kyrie -- the last eight (or 11) games of the season and then off to the NBA.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

First, I think all of us rational humans over here hope he takes all the time he needs. The plan is to have a long career playing basketball. Keep that goal in mind.

Second, Giles is at a great place to have surgery and go through rehab, along with a coaching staff that will put his best interests first.

Third, a three-man frontcourt of Jeter, Bolden, Jefferson can hold the fort until Giles gets back. I hope that is sooner rather than later. ACC play is 3 months away. We have plenty of time.

elvis14
10-03-2016, 02:42 PM
First, I think all of us rational humans over here hope he takes all the time he needs. The plan is to have a long career playing basketball. Keep that goal in mind.

Second, Giles is at a great place to have surgery and go through rehab, along with a coaching staff that will put his best interests first.

Third, a three-man frontcourt of Jeter, Bolden, Jefferson can hold the fort until Giles gets back. I hope that is sooner rather than later. ACC play is 3 months away. We have plenty of time.

Super post here by superdave. We are deep enough to let Giles take as much time as he needs to get healthy. If they are only saying 6 weeks, I hope that means a fairly minor surgery. Looking forward to watching this young man play. I suspect he's worked very hard to get back from his latest ACL tear and hope he can get healthy and enjoy playing with this teammates.

Billy Dat
10-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Man, I feel really bad for this kid. He's been through the wringer. Keep your head up, Harry!

As for our Blue Devils, as many have mentioned, thank goodness we have depth. This sorts out some of the PT logjam. It's your world, Marquese, make the most of it! You, too, Chase!

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 02:48 PM

This post sums up everything I thought. Great post.

I really, really feel for Harry. I hope he rehabs the crap out of his knee and that these operations turns his knees into whatever the hell is the opposite of Greg Oden's knees.

I know Coach K will bring Giles along very slowly. I also know that this team can tear up it's non-conference without Giles making a big impact (especially if Bolden is crushing it).

And lastly, I still believe Duke is #1 in the country.

Pghdukie
10-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Here's to hoping that surgery was just a maintenance issue to go in and clean the knee out. 6 wks seems a long time for an O-Scope tho.

Steven43
10-03-2016, 03:16 PM

From the moment Giles injured his knee during his sophomore year I was skeptical about how well he would rehap while being monitored by high school coaches and trainers. And then it happened again during his senior year. A previous poster mentioned that the second rehap had gone much better than the first. Not sure why that would be the case or how this information would be out there. Was his senior year rehab program arranged and carried out with the help of Duke Hospital? I sure hope so.

In any case, after Giles suffered his second major knee injury I felt Duke would be taking a fairly large risk in counting on him to be the centerpiece of their 2016-2017 team. Once Bolden was safely in the fold I began to feel a lot better. At this point I am looking at Giles as a possible late season wild card who could be the extra boost that pushes Duke over the top. I honestly hope he takes significantly longer than six weeks to see the court. I would rather have his plan for the next 12-16 weeks to be continuing rehabbing, getting stronger, conditioning, getting more comfortable with his knees and his body overall during practice and training sessions, but not during actual games.

Then in mid-January or so when he is 100% confident in his health he returns to the court eager, hungry and with a chip on his shoulder, ready to show the world just what he can do at full strength. Think of Harry as the ultimate sixth man. Like Kevin McHale was for the awesome early 80's Boston Celtics. Sure, it would be an adjustment for him and the team, but there would still be plenty of time to get it all together and gel for the ACC tournament and the NCAAs.

Bob Green
10-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Spot on! Giles health comes first. Everything else is a distant second.

Edouble
10-03-2016, 03:36 PM
From the moment Giles injured his knee during his sophomore year I was skeptical about how well he would rehap while being monitored by high school coaches and trainers. And then it happened again during his senior year. A previous poster mentioned that the second rehap had gone much better than the first. Not sure why that would be the case or how this information would be out there. Was his senior year rehab program arranged and carried out with the help of Duke Hospital? I sure hope so.

Wasn't his rehab be monitored by doctors and physical therapists though?

cato
10-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Laura Keeley, who no longer covers Duke, but who I still follow, just tweeted: "Always got a vibe that would lead me to be shocked if [Giles] averages more than 10 mins/game this year."

NYBri
10-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Super post here by superdave. We are deep enough to let Giles take as much time as he needs to get healthy. If they are only saying 6 weeks, I hope that means a fairly minor surgery. Looking forward to watching this young man play. I suspect he's worked very hard to get back from his latest ACL tear and hope he can get healthy and enjoy playing with this teammates.

I agree that it's probably something minor...maybe to clean up something that didn't go right the first time. If it was a new tear or major injury, they wouldn't be saying 6 weeks. They would toss around end of season...

BUT, the Devils have been known to be pretty mum when it comes to injuries and updates.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 03:48 PM
I agree that it's probably something minor...maybe to clean up something that didn't go right the first time. If it was a new tear or major injury, they wouldn't be saying 6 weeks. They would toss around end of season...

BUT, the Devils have been known to be pretty mum when it comes to injuries and updates.

My gut feeling as well. Laura Keeley's tweet plus this "clean up" plus my gut leads me to believe that Bolden wasn't an insurance policy but rather Plan A with a healthy, ready-to-go Giles as Plan B.

Giles will play. No doubt about it. And I like the preemptive approach to the knee. Go in for surgety with more guarantee and safety than risk re-injuring the knee.

SCMatt33
10-03-2016, 03:51 PM

The 6 weeks has me at least somewhat optimistic more than usual. As you said, Duke is normally pretty mum on these sorts of things and at least one article I read implied that the 6 week timeline came from a Duke spokesperson. If it really was Duke estimating a timeline, and not the media, that's better news than the typical "indefinitely, we'll see."

EDIT: By the way, going back and looking at photos from the open practice, we probably should have noticed that it was his left knee and not his right with a brace on. Perhaps this was already speculated on in the open practice thread, I didn't go back and check that one and hadn't followed it much.

newclasspack
10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Poor Kid. Despite your roster putting the fear of god in my heart i really was looking forward to seeing him play at the D1 level. I hope it is only 6 weeks minimum

dukelifer
10-03-2016, 03:57 PM

Not weird- Mr Irving effectively did that.

sagegrouse
10-03-2016, 04:00 PM
The 6 weeks has me at least somewhat optimistic more than usual. As you said, Duke is normally pretty mum on these sorts of things and at least one article I read implied that the 6 week timeline came from a Duke spokesperson. If it really was Duke estimating a timeline, and not the media, that's better news than the typical "indefinitely, we'll see."

EDIT: By the way, going back and looking at photos from the open practice, we probably should have noticed that it was his left knee and not his right with a brace on. Perhaps this was already speculated on in the open practice thread, I didn't go back and check that one and hadn't followed it much.

I am not "at least somewhat optimistic more than usual." I could be wrong ("Seldom right but never in doubt") but Harry Giles's medical history is so awful that if Duke didn't say something fairly positive, every NBA team would have just crossed his name off the list.

dukelifer
10-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Spot on! Giles health comes first. Everything else is a distant second.

Duke will be fine- but expectations need to be lowered for this team. That is probably good. Duke has big men and having Amile in the mix is critical. Giles is a talent - but of all the positions- his has the best depth. I honestly was hopeful he might play, but was worried that knee would be an issue at some point in the season.

SCMatt33
10-03-2016, 04:05 PM
I am not "at least somewhat optimistic more than usual." I could be wrong ("Seldom right but never in doubt") but Harry Giles's medical history is so awful that if Duke didn't say something fairly positive, every NBA team would have just crossed his name off the list.

But wouldn't that be counterproductive to say 6 weeks, then have him miss that timeline if they thought he wasn't likely to play? If I'm a GM, I'd be worried anyway given his history, but I'd be more worried about a guy who isn't healing properly from something that's "only" supposed to take 6 weeks as opposed to simply having season ending surgery.

mattman91
10-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Amile was not granted a 5th year of eligibility?

Or we didn't get Bolden?

It could be much worse.

sagegrouse
10-03-2016, 04:09 PM
But wouldn't that be counterproductive to say 6 weeks, then have him miss that timeline if they thought he wasn't likely to play? If I'm a GM, I'd be worried anyway given his history, but I'd be more worried about a guy who isn't healing properly from something that's "only" supposed to take 6 weeks as opposed to simply having season ending surgery.

"Drastic times call for drastic measures." Another surgery for Harry Giles is a bombshell announcement.

Ichabod Drain
10-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Take your time and get better Harry. I look forward to seeing you play at this level and the next.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 04:15 PM
"Drastic times call for drastic measures." Another surgery for Harry Giles is a bombshell announcement.

I disagree with you. And I'd love to get a physician (or physicians) on here to provide color.

This is not a surgery to fix another injury; it's a surgery to fix a few of the complications that arose from a previous surgery/rehab from 2013. Yes, all surgery is bad. But it's not "bombshell" bad. "Bombshell" would be if Harry tore another ligament, or if he sustained an injury that takes him out for a whole year.

Troublemaker
10-03-2016, 04:23 PM

Nah, they would just give him a physical and have their team doctors look at his medical files. If Duke's story checks out -- and I have no reason to think it doesn't -- then Harry's right knee is fine and his left knee will be fine after this procedure.

Moreover, the most important piece of evidence -- how he comes back and how he plays this season -- hasn't even been witnessed yet.

Moreover, the opportunity cost of a 1st round draft pick once you get past the top 8 players or so isn't that great. If Harry comes back this season and plays well -- even if that doesn't happen until early 2017 -- he'll be a top 10 pick, easy.

Edouble
10-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Thoughts:

Rumors are gonna be crazy about Harry's ability to compete at a high level and his NBA prospects until we see him hit the court and play effective, extended minutes. I have not given up on Harry's potential to be a great NBA player. Yes, Oden, Embiid, Bowie, etc. Don't forget that Kyrie appeared to be made of glass bones but finally put together a legendary Finals performance this season.

This totally sucks, but obviously there are cases where a guy coming back can lift the collective energy of a team. I am also even more hopeful for Chase Jeter now. He seemed to really be putting things together towards the end of last season. I hope that he can use this as motivation to step up now that he will probably be needed even more by the team.

We are not gonna see Harry starting and playing 25 minutes in six weeks. I am not sure what exactly he will be read to do in the 6-8 weeks that has been estimated for his return. Go full contact in practice? Play in a game? Obviously Harry has been brought along slowly to this point. You can bet our staff will not be hurrying things now. I seriously doubt we see him play against Kansas.

Just as important as Harry's physical state on his return to the game is his mental state on returning. I am glad that Harry has Coach K, who knows how to nurture and push on a case by case basis.

sagegrouse
10-03-2016, 04:25 PM
I disagree with you. And I'd love to get a physician (or physicians) on here to provide color.

This is not a surgery to fix another injury; it's a surgery to fix a few of the complications that arose from a previous surgery/rehab from 2013. Yes, all surgery is bad. But it's not "bombshell" bad. "Bombshell" would be if Harry tore another ligament, or if he sustained an injury that takes him out for a whole year.

Yeah, but that will get lost under the heading of "another Harry Giles surgery." If this were utterly routine, it would have been taken care of months ago. By the way, I hope you and SCMatt33 are right and we see Giles in uniform in November. But I've been around this track a few times... Kyrie, Ryan Kelly, Amile....

DBFAN
10-03-2016, 04:26 PM

Nah generally the phrase Duke throws around when there is no real sense of when a player comes back is "out indefinitely". So I don't really think this is the situation. I could be wrong but I just don't get that feeling

Steven43
10-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Wasn't his rehab be monitored by doctors and physical therapists though?

Of course it was. But his high school coaches and trainers were bound to exert influence over Harry whether or not he was being monitored by doctors and physical therapists in the immediate aftermath of the injury during his sophomore year. I'm taking about the summer before his junior year, his junior year itself, the summer before his senior year, etc. By that time the doctors and physical therapists were probably largely out of his daily training and playing regimen and the coaches and school trainers had taken over. Don't you think? And it's those guys who potentially could have had a less than positive influence over things.

mr. synellinden
10-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

It sounds to me like this was a "clean up" type surgery, most likely to clear out debris or scar tissue and 6 weeks might even be conservative. I'm. Asking this on the reference to the first rehab which may not have been done as well in terms of avoiding or breaking up scar tissue. I wouldn't be surprised if he's only off the leg for 10 days - 2 weeks as a precaution.

Edouble
10-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but that will get lost under the heading of "another Harry Giles surgery." If this were utterly routine, it would have been taken care of months ago. By the way, I hope you and SCMatt33 are right and we see Giles in uniform in November. But I've been around this track a few times... Kyrie, Ryan Kelly, Amile...

Not that there is an answer than anyone on this board can provide, but I am wondering about this too. Timing on this surgery (to a non-medical lay person) seems odd considering this is the knee that he hurt so many years ago.

Could it take this long for a bad rehab to cause some kind of scar tissue growth that had to be scoped and removed?

I am guessing because Harry has not been fully (basketball level) mobile on his left knee, due to rehabbing his right knee, some sort of limitation in his left knee was not noticed until he became fully mobile again on his right knee. Can't help but wonder if not being active/atrophy during this most recent right knee rehab caused an issue with his left knee ligaments, as he played on his left knee for several years without problems. Or maybe it was like Shav... he just didn't tell anyone.

Spanarkel
10-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Laura Keeley, who no longer covers Duke, but who I still follow, just tweeted: "Always got a vibe that would lead me to be shocked if [Giles] averages more than 10 mins/game this year."

Maybe this is what HGIII was referring to on his recent Twitter post today: "Embrace the negativity. I'm going to show you."

NSDukeFan
10-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Duke will be fine- but expectations need to be lowered for this team. That is probably good. Duke has big men and having Amile in the mix is critical. Giles is a talent - but of all the positions- his has the best depth. I honestly was hopeful he might play, but was worried that knee would be an issue at some point in the season.

Should I cancel my appointment for the 40-0 tattoo then?

DukeFanSince1990
10-03-2016, 07:10 PM

No way man go for it. Let me hold your beer.

arnie
10-03-2016, 07:40 PM

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

I tend to agree with your take and wondered during the open practice if something wrong. With his issues, might be more sensible to sit out the entire year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he plays any meaningful minutes.

Hope this injury is it for the team, but our history isn't so good with knees and feet.

dukerev
10-03-2016, 09:51 PM
My lab, Emily (named after Mrs. K), is having ACL repair surgery tomorrow. 8 weeks of doggy bed rest. I hope Mr. Giles is back before Emily. Get well soon, Harry!

dukelifer
10-03-2016, 09:54 PM

Only if you planned to put it on your forehead.

BD80
10-03-2016, 10:05 PM

I already have my tattoo ... :(

But I didn't add the year yet ... :D

tfk53
10-03-2016, 10:07 PM

I'm not an orthopod but a family doctor who does a fair amount of sports medicine so will throw in my 2 cents. Much, much closer to retirement than starting out. Have had 2 ACL repairs on one knee myself and had my son get scoped for meniscal tear in high school (Dr T. Moorman did super job on him!).

Without seeing an op note or getting any clearer info from Giles/surgeon/Duke SID, it remains speculation (something we all do very well on DBR!) about whether this is a new injury or sequelae of his first surgery/injury. IIRC, Giles had not yet been cleared to practice making it sound more like it was scarring or some tear that had not gotten fully corrected at initial surgery a couple of years ago. 4-6 weeks is a common timeframe of recovery but so much depends on the exact injury and how one's body responds to surgery. My son was back to playing soccer games in high school at 4 weeks and never had a speck of trouble. Hoping that Giles has similar success.

Also depends on how urgent a return to play is for the player and team. Fortunately for Giles and Duke, there is not that urgency to get back. Early season thru December is not that important for him. Far better to be cautious with his return to play and his career than rush things. I suspect he will not play any meaningful minutes till after the first of the year. Would love to be wrong but agree with other posters that wellbeing of Giles is paramount. Even if he does not play a minute for Duke this year and goes straight to the NBA, altho it hurts to even consider that as a possibility!

Good thing I read this as my Mac substituted arthropod for orthopod. Actually, am not an arthropod, either.

Troublemaker
10-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I tend to agree with your take and wondered during the open practice if something wrong. With his issues, might be more sensible to sit out the entire year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he plays any meaningful minutes.

Hope this injury is it for the team, but our history isn't so good with knees and feet.

I'm just going to take things at face value for now.

Harry will be out for 6 weeks. Then, there will be a period of time when he's rehabbing / building strength but not practicing. Then, there will be a period of time when he's practicing but not playing. Then, there will be a period of time when he's coming off the bench for limited minutes. Then, there will be a period of time when he's coming off the bench for good minutes.

Taking things at face value, I believe we will see this entire progression this season. And maybe something more, but we'll see at least that much.

jipops
10-03-2016, 10:37 PM
By the time November 15 rolls around Harry will not have played any sort of competitive ball in over a year. Despite being so naturally talented I'm feeling the chances are slim we'll see a truly effective Giles in a Duke uniform. Sure there's a chance, I'm just not counting on it...at all. But as others have conveyed, that is not the important thing here. Hopefully he can get the most out of Duke away from the court and be a high lottery pick once that time rolls around.

devildeac
10-03-2016, 10:45 PM

Yep. The t-shirt will be a lot less expensive, less painful and easier to remove. :rolleyes::o

Steven43
10-03-2016, 10:46 PM
By the time November 15 rolls around Harry will not have played any sort of competitive ball in over a year. Despite being so naturally talented I'm feeling the chances are slim we'll see a truly effective Giles in a Duke uniform. Sure there's a chance, I'm just not counting on it...at all. But as others have conveyed, that is not the important thing here. Hopefully he can get the most out of Duke away from the court and be a high lottery pick once that time rolls around.
So you're telling me there's a chance?

BD80
10-03-2016, 10:46 PM
... Without seeing an op note or getting any clearer info from Giles/surgeon/Duke SID, it remains speculation (something we all do very well on DBR!) about whether this is a new injury or sequelae of his first surgery/injury. IIRC, Giles had not yet been cleared to practice making it sound more like it was scarring or some tear that had not gotten fully corrected at initial surgery a couple of years ago. 4-6 weeks is a common timeframe of recovery but so much depends on the exact injury and how one's body responds to surgery. My son was back to playing soccer games in high school at 4 weeks and never had a speck of trouble. Hoping that Giles has similar success. ...

My 2 cents (which is hardly worth that) - once Harry sufficiently recovered from the recent surgery to engage in basketball activities, it became apparent that the earlier repaired knee hadn't healed to the satisfaction of the Duke medical staff, and that the scope procedure would help him function at a higher level. Bigger picture thinking.

I am optimistic that by the end of the season, Harry will be able to play as many minutes as Coach K would like. Perhaps at the beginning of the ACC schedule, Harry will still be rounding into shape and learning the defense, and play less than some starters. But wouldn't it be nice to unleash the full Harry on opponents come tournament time. Remember, this kid has been considered the best of a REALLY good recruiting class, and for good reason - he has an offensive arsenal in the post - a perfect complement to the perimeter scoring this team has.

Newton_14
10-03-2016, 10:53 PM

I personally didn't flinch when I heard the news. That is confirmed more and more as additional info keeps leaking out. From what I have read, it seems the right knee was rehabbed well and is solid, and they are doing arthroscopic on the left knee which wasn't rehabbed as well. Im not a doctor but I have had 4 knee surgeries on my right knee. I would bet they are cleaning up loose cartiliage and/or scar tissue...

Not a Doctor and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but that's my story and Im sticking to it.

I would not count him out of Game 1 just yet......

Steven43
10-03-2016, 10:58 PM
But wouldn't it be nice to unleash the full Harry on opponents come tournament time?
My sentiments exactly. I believe it's going to be the reverse Kyrie. Can't help feeling we are all going to be very happy the way this plays out.

jipops
10-03-2016, 11:00 PM
From a basketball standpoint I think this solidifies Tatum putting in a lot of minutes at the 4. Unless Bolden becomes some sort of dominant reliable force, I certainly see K using a goto front court of Tatum and Jefferson at the 4 and 5 respectively. The four guards will of course round out the remaining positions. Yes...he will go small. I haven't seen Jeter since last season so I'll have to wait to be convinced he'll be making much of an impact. I got the feeling last year he was still a couple years away. In any case, with Giles now out for who knows how long, the front court depth is not going to be what we hoped. I see Tatum, Bolden, and Jefferson being the rotation with Jeter getting some spot duty. Nobody else has proven or been hyped as really ready to contribute. Hopefully somebody besides Jefferson is able to provide an impact on defense. None of this is meant to be negative. There is still a great amount of talent. But expectations should be tempered. Just being one of the top teams in the conference is going to be a tall order.

Steven43
10-04-2016, 12:02 AM
From a basketball standpoint I think this solidifies Tatum putting in a lot of minutes at the 4. Unless Bolden becomes some sort of dominant reliable force, I certainly see K using a goto front court of Tatum and Jefferson at the 4 and 5 respectively. The four guards will of course round out the remaining positions. Yes...he will go small. I haven't seen Jeter since last season so I'll have to wait to be convinced he'll be making much of an impact. I got the feeling last year he was still a couple years away. In any case, with Giles now out for who knows how long, the front court depth is not going to be what we hoped. I see Tatum, Bolden, and Jefferson being the rotation with Jeter getting some spot duty. Nobody else has proven or been hyped as really ready to contribute. Hopefully somebody besides Jefferson is able to provide an impact on defense. None of this is meant to be negative. There is still a great amount of talent. But expectations should be tempered. Just being one of the top teams in the conference is going to be a tall order.
So........you're saying we're not going to go undefeated?

Edouble
10-04-2016, 01:08 AM

Strongly disagree. I will be absolutely shocked if this group is not the top team in the conference, even without Giles. I would not describe this team's chances of being one of the top ACC squads as a "tall order".

Rickshaw
10-04-2016, 07:02 AM
They probably wanted his current rehap to be complete before he began a second. They may have known about this for some time.

sagegrouse
10-04-2016, 08:56 AM
They probably wanted his current rehab to be complete before he began a second. They may have known about this for some time.

Makes sense and maybe the basis for Laura Keeley's skepticism on playing time for Harry. (Also FIFY.)

Spanarkel
10-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Makes sense and maybe the basis for Laura Keeley's skepticism on playing time for Harry. (Also FIFY.)

Always love Sagegouse's(and many other posters')comments, but regarding Laura Keely's skepticism that HGIII would average 10+ minutes a game, he is an elite athlete receiving world-class orthopedic and PT care at Duke. I believe that he will recover this season and be a significant contributor. Of course, there are elite athletes(Oden, Bowie, etc.)who never reached their potential due to recurrent injuries.

jipops
10-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Strongly disagree. I will be absolutely shocked if this group is not the top team in the conference, even without Giles. I would not describe this team's chances of being one of the top ACC squads as a "tall order".

The '14-'15 national champs didn't finish first nor did they win the acct. And this season's conference is potentially better based on preseason rankings.

Ichabod Drain
10-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Always love Sagegouse's(and many other posters')comments, but regarding Laura Keely's skepticism that HGIII would average 10+ minutes a game, he is an elite athlete receiving world-class orthopedic and PT care at Duke. I believe that he will recover this season and be a significant contributor. Of course, there are elite athletes(Oden, Bowie, etc.)who never reached their potential due to recurrent injuries.

I wouldn't hesitate to say Giles is receiving better and more cautious treatment than Oden (and Brandon Roy) received from the Trailblazers medical staff.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-04-2016, 09:51 AM
The main thing to keep in mind here is there's tens of millions of dollars potentially on the line with Giles, and I'm sure he is thinking about that first and foremost.

No doubt he's getting the best medical advice and care and I'd bet he's going to recover just fine by ACC play.

But the question to me if I'm Giles would be which path is best to get to the draft healthy...the most important thing.

Do I rehab all season with the great medical staff and get fully healthy without the game risks... and then work out for teams pre-draft to prove I'm back?

Or do I come in about mid season and prove it on the court and take advantage of the exposure he's sure to get on a team expected to make a deep tourney run?

I have not seen him play, but from the highlights I've seen, this kid has some exceptional skills for his size and they fit what the NBA looks for. I'm not sure he needs any college exposure to be drafted in the high lottery.

So he has some tough decisions to make as things move forward.

Injuries suck. It's a shame this kid has to deal with them and can't just play.

53n206
10-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Agree with Wheat. Very tough decision. Glad that I do not have to advise Harry.

Troublemaker
10-04-2016, 10:27 AM
The main thing to keep in mind here is there's tens of millions of dollars potentially on the line with Giles, and I'm sure he is thinking about that first and foremost.

No doubt he's getting the best medical advice and care and I'd bet he's going to recover just fine by ACC play.

But the question to me if I'm Giles would be which path is best to get to the draft healthy...the most important thing.

Do I rehab all season with the great medical staff and get fully healthy without the game risks... and then work out for teams pre-draft to prove I'm back?

Or do I come in about mid season and prove it on the court and take advantage of the exposure he's sure to get on a team expected to make a deep tourney run?

He's probably going to be "fully healthy" without taking the season off...

Also, from what I've read, he's a competitive kid that can't wait to get back on the court. I really doubt missing the season is a consideration at this point.

Finally, there are timelines for recovery. ~6 weeks for a scope, ~9 months for ACL surgery. Sitting out this season would go way beyond those timelines and raise red flags about his health.

SCMatt33
10-04-2016, 10:34 AM

I have not seen him play, but from the highlights I've seen, this kid has some exceptional skills for his size and they fit what the NBA looks for. I'm not sure he needs any college exposure to be drafted in the high lottery.

The thing to keep in mind is that he just had surgery despite not playing a game in 11 months. It doesn't take a game to get hurt. Mike DeCourcy wrote a great article (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/duke-harry-giles-heal-knee-surgery-nba-draft-mike-krzyzewski/1cx3pvpmq9g01mu8dgnjsssyh?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) to this effect yesterday. If he doesn't play, he will have been out with injury for 3 of the last 4 years. With Sam Hinkie no longer running a team and the projected depth of this draft, I wouldn't expect to see him go top 5 without setting foot on the court.

moonpie23
10-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Folks, please. Let's be a little more sympathetic here. the REAL pain suffered here is that K beat Cal in recruiting. Ibuprofen won't help this.:cool:

flyingdutchdevil
10-04-2016, 10:56 AM

I don't think he has tough decisions. If he wasn't planning on playing, why enroll at Duke? Why expose yourself to academics, negative/positive media attention (hey...we're Duke!), and all the distractions that come with playing for a Blue Blood. If he wanted to take it easy and rehab, he would have gone to a smaller school with an excellent medical school/hospital network or not gone to school and played ball in Germany with Kobe's knee doctor by his side.

IMO, Giles choosing Duke signaled that he wants to play in the best conference, play in the best rivalry, and have the best odds of winning the whole thing.

Giles doesn't have hard choices; unfortunately, his knees are the decision-maker, not Giles himself.

kAzE
10-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Having recently had my first knee surgery myself, I really feel for this kid. I love playing basketball, but if I were THAT good, it would heartbreaking to be kept off the court due to circumstances beyond my control. No one deserves this kind of awful luck, especially at such a young age.

I'm rooting hard for his knees to be okay. I'd love to see him play for Duke, but he's got to do whatever it takes to get healthy first. Keep your head up, Harry!!

Steven43
10-04-2016, 12:26 PM

I hate to be presumptuous, but is it possible that in the back of your mind you're hoping that the top recruit in the nation (top two or three, anyway), who just happens to attend Duke University, will choose the rehab all season option? Is it just a tiny bit possible?

Nah, that couldn't be. What a preposterous notion. Sorry for even suggesting it, Wheat.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't think he has tough decisions. If he wasn't planning on playing, why enroll at Duke? Why expose yourself to academics, negative/positive media attention (hey...we're Duke!), and all the distractions that come with playing for a Blue Blood. If he wanted to take it easy and rehab, he would have gone to a smaller school with an excellent medical school/hospital network or not gone to school and played ball in Germany with Kobe's knee doctor by his side.

IMO, Giles choosing Duke signaled that he wants to play in the best conference, play in the best rivalry, and have the best odds of winning the whole thing.

Giles doesn't have hard choices; unfortunately, his knees are the decision-maker, not Giles himself.

I don't think he'd get much negative press if he came out and said he was going to be extra careful to be ready for his career in the NBA. People would understand with that much money on the line.

And why sign at Duke?
Among other things to get the best sports medicine care available for free and stay in the minds of NBA execs at high profile school.

I hope he plays. I was looking forward to seeing him and I think he probably will play.

But to think its not a tough decision is fooling yourself.

I've also had major ACL replacement surgery, (from playing basketball), and it's hard to get your confidence back in the knee even when it feels good. Who knows how he feels about things?

Yes, he could get hurt in rehab too, but that'd be less likely than at game speed.

Life changing money like he could make is serious business and deserves serious contemplation.

It's his life and his decision, and I hope it works out well for him

Wheat/"/"/"
10-04-2016, 12:49 PM
I hate to be presumptuous, but is it possible that in the back of your mind you're hoping that the top recruit in the nation (top two or three, anyway), who just happens to attend Duke University, will choose the rehab all season option? Is it just a tiny bit possible?

Nah, that couldn't be. What a preposterous notion. Sorry for even suggesting it, Wheat.

No. That's not possible.

I'm a players guy and want them to play, and get paid for their talent.

I can live with the outcome of any season, and look forward to the next. Play ball!

DBFAN
10-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Is there anywhere that actually says he injured his knee? Or have they just said he is having surgery. Maybe I missed it, but it does seem presumptuous to say or think it was re injured. I will stick to my guns here and say I never worry when the staff gives a def timeline for return. I always worry when they start using the term "out indefinitely

Troublemaker
10-04-2016, 01:12 PM
I hope he plays. I was looking forward to seeing him and I think he probably will play.

But to think its not a tough decision is fooling yourself.

It's not a tough decision. Nobody's sitting out a whole season for arthroscopic surgery. And nobody's sitting out two seasons for ACL surgery.

I also think you're underestimating how competitive these guys are. Players want to play, and they want to improve by getting games under their belt. Once he's 100%, it'll be very beneficial for him to play games. I seriously doubt he's even debating sitting out. "Hey, NBA GMs, I played varsity my junior year in high school. Now make me a lottery pick" is NOT the attitude I would expect from Giles. (Even though I agree that a team would probably bite and take him lottery under those circumstances.)

flyingdutchdevil
10-04-2016, 01:19 PM
It's not a tough decision. Nobody's sitting out a whole season for arthroscopic surgery. And nobody's sitting out two seasons for ACL surgery.

I also think you're underestimating how competitive these guys are. Players want to play, and they want to improve by getting games under their belt. Once he's 100%, it'll be very beneficial for him to play games. I seriously doubt he's even debating sitting out. "Hey, NBA GMs, I played varsity my junior year in high school. Now make me a lottery pick" is NOT the attitude I would expect from Giles. (Even though I agree that a team would probably bite and take him lottery under those circumstances.)

This. Giles is uber-competitve (okay, every blue blood player is uber-competitive). They know rehab sucks. They know the importance of getting healthy. And the Duke staff knows this as well. The Duke staff (medical team, coaches, etc) will do everything in their power to bring Giles on board WHEN HE IS READY.

Is that November? Maybe. Is that December? Hopefully. Is that January? Call if an FDD guarantee.

Ichabod Drain
10-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Call it an FDD guarantee.

I wasn't worried until now....

Steven43
10-04-2016, 02:45 PM
No. That's not possible.

I'm a players guy and want them to play, and get paid for their talent.

I can live with the outcome of any season, and look forward to the next. Play ball!

Well then you are a better man than me, Wheat. At least in regard to this. Because I must admit that were the situation reversed and Harry Giles a UNC student, I would be pulling hard for the 'rehab all season' option. You think I want to see Harry Giles in a godawful baby blue jersey running the court like the wind on his completely rehabbed knees, taking a perfect pass from Joel Berry, and slamming it home over Amile Jefferson at the end of a fastbreak in Cameron? Umm, no.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Well then you are a better man than me, Wheat. At least in regard to this. Because I must admit that were the situation reversed and Harry Giles a UNC student, I would be pulling hard for the 'rehab all season' option. You think I want to see Harry Giles in a godawful baby blue jersey running the court like the wind on his completely rehabbed knees, taking a perfect pass from Joel Berry, and slamming it home over Amile Jefferson at the end of a fastbreak in Cameron? Umm, no.

I am with Wheat on this - I would love to beat the snot out of a fully functional Death Star.... er... Tar Heel team every year. I hate all injuries.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Don't fret...you'll get to see plenty of those sort of dunks this season from Berry to Hicks.😜

flyingdutchdevil
10-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Don't fret...you'll get to see plenty of those sort of dunks this season from Berry to Hicks.😜

Stop making me laugh so hard.

Ichabod Drain
10-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Coach K today at press conference..

"We're pleased with Harry Giles' situation. It was a scope to clean up scar tissue in his left knee"

flyingdutchdevil
10-04-2016, 04:40 PM

"We're pleased with Harry Giles' situation. It was a scope to clean up scar tissue in his left knee"

Is it weird that I'm more worried about Grayson's injury than Giles's knee tune-up?

English
10-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Is it weird that I'm more worried about Grayson's injury than Giles's knee tune-up?

It is weird, yeah--to this guy, at least. I don't even think it's weird because of some hidden it's-worse-than-they're-leading-on kind of pessimism*. It's just that Giles is likely to miss six weeks for a commonplace scope, and Grayson may have nothing more than a sore muscle.

K said today that they (coaching staff, training team) were just resting Grayson, because his style of play dictates that they need to give him rest sometimes. If you take that at face value, it sounds essentially like a veteran day off. Of course, you may not take what's said at a coach's presser at face value, and I wouldn't blame you.

* Not to mention the add'l missed time for Giles learning the system, especially the defensive system.

Troublemaker
10-04-2016, 05:37 PM
It is weird, yeah--to this guy, at least. I don't even think it's weird because of some hidden it's-worse-than-they're-leading-on kind of pessimism*. It's just that Giles is likely to miss six weeks for a commonplace scope, and Grayson may have nothing more than a sore muscle.

K said today that they (coaching staff, training team) were just resting Grayson, because his style of play dictates that they need to give him rest sometimes. If you take that at face value, it sounds essentially like a veteran day off. Of course, you may not take what's said at a coach's presser at face value, and I wouldn't blame you.

* Not to mention the add'l missed time for Giles learning the system, especially the defensive system.

As you mentioned, Duke had a Media Day this afternoon. Coach K had a presser and then the players were made available to the media.

According to Grayson via ABC11 sports anchor Joe Mazur, it's a hamstring.

Joe Mazur ‏@joemazurabc11 (https://twitter.com/joemazurabc11) 28m28 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/joemazurabc11/status/783413309462708224)
Greyson [sic] Allen has been out "about a week" nursing a hamstring. Plan is to give him breaks throughout the year

Newton_14
10-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Hey I was right about something! Woot! :cool:

Furniture
10-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC
Harry Giles enjoying a dinner with family at Washington Duke Inn tonight. Crutches nearby. Recovery underway

flyingdutchdevil
10-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC
Harry Giles enjoying a dinner with family at Washington Duke Inn tonight. Crutches nearby. Recovery underway

That WaDuke burger may set rehab back a few days...

dukelifer
10-05-2016, 06:12 AM

Well given that Grayson is a proven leading scorer, the likely best ball handler and has a tendency to throw his body around- no.

kAzE
10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Ugh . . . now there's a Grayson injury? Does anyone know the severity? If they think it will linger throughout the year, that worries me quite a bit. Bad hamstring injuries are no joke :(

Troublemaker
10-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Ugh . . . now there's a Grayson injury? Does anyone know the severity? If they think it will linger throughout the year, that worries me quite a bit. Bad hamstring injuries are no joke :(

I think the implication is that it's very minor. Grayson was not a fan of sitting out these practices.

Newton_14
10-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Actually no. Grayson is fine. He may or may not be nursing a minor injury, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Supposedly the staff is intentionally resting him on certain practice days to save his body for the regular season. As K put it "We already know what Grayson can do on the court"....

You can relax....

Spanarkel
10-06-2016, 01:14 PM

Especially ones caused by the semitendinosus muscle, which kind of have a tendency to linger(sorry for the pun but it's a slow day so far on EK).

BD80
10-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Especially ones caused by the semitendinosus muscle, which kind of have a tendency to linger(sorry for the pun but it's a slow day so far on EK).

That was a bit of a stretch ...

flyingdutchdevil
10-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Dana O'Neil with an update: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17893598/duke-blue-devils-freshman-jayson-tatum-foot-sprain-hopeful-start-season

Supposed to be about Tatum, but it turned into a Giles piece. Bottomline, Giles isn't engaging in contact but focusing on elastic bands. Nice.

dukelifer
10-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Dana O'Neil with an update: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17893598/duke-blue-devils-freshman-jayson-tatum-foot-sprain-hopeful-start-season

Supposed to be about Tatum, but it turned into a Giles piece. Bottomline, Giles isn't engaging in contact but focusing on elastic bands. Nice.

Can never be too focused on elastic band work.

jimsumner
10-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Can never be too focused on elastic band work.

Does that make Giles a stretch 4?

Tripping William
10-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Does that make Giles a stretch 4?

Only when the rubber meets the road.