PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 13, Army 6

Bob Green
10-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Discuss the game here. We need a better performance across the board this week.

HK Dukie
10-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Hey I know the EK Board is a bit down after the loss but there were some shining moments. No reason to throw everyone in with the bathwater :p

OldPhiKap
10-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Hey I know the EK Board is a bit down after the loss but there were some shining moments. No reason to throw everyone in with the bathwater :p

No, board performance was pretty weak. It starts with the fact that we didn't label everything with "FB" first. It's the little details missed during the week that leads to a suboptimal board performance on game day.

Time to get back to 3-3 and see what the season holds. I'm sure yesterday's film review was not fun.

Go Duke!

Olympic Fan
10-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Army is a much better team than the one Duke routed last season in West Point. Still not a super-power (they did lose in OT to Buffalo), but good enough to beat Temple, coming off a 10-win season. Plus, they were off last weekend, so they have an extra week to rest and prepare for Duke.

Everybody should be warned -- Saturday's game could be seriously complicated by Hurricane Matthew. It's too early to be sure of the exact tract, but current forecasts having it just about the latitude of Durham by midday Saturday. Longitude is tougher to guess -- some models have it coming ashore at Wilmington at dawn Saturday (which puts it just on top of Wade Stadium by late afternoon), most have it just off the NC coast (which could still bring us some horrible weather) ... a few have it farther east, well into Atlantic. This is he strongest storm in nine years ... it's worth watching.

As for the game, obviously Duke has to cut down on mistakes, especially turnovers. We did that in South Bend and beat Notre Dame. We didn't do it vs. Wake, Northwestern and Virginia and lost three winnable games.

I don't want to put the blame on Daniel Jones, but what we're seeing is the inevitable consequence of breaking in a QB before he's ready. Jones is going to be very good, but he should be learning in a backup role this season.

I know I'm the biggest Thomas Sirk defender on this board, but one measure of his excellence was his ball protection. In 12 games, Sirk had eight interceptions and two fumbles. In five games, Jones already has seven interceptions and three fumbles. Or, put another way, Sirk had two turnovers in 590 plays (163 rushes and 427 passes) -- one every 59.0 plays. So far, Jones has 10 turnovers in 241 plays (44 rushes, 197 passes) -- one every 24.1 plays.

On the other hand, Jones is completing a higher percentage of his passes for more yards with a higher QB rating. As I say, he's going to be good. But until he brings the TO rate down, he's not going to be as effective as Sirk.

Of course, Coach Cut didn't have a choice after Sirk was hurt again. I just wanted to suggest one of the hidden reasons why Sirk was so effective lasts season -- well beyond his QB rating -- and the major area where Jones needs to show improvement.

Bob Green
10-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Everybody should be warned -- Saturday's game could be seriously complicated by Hurricane Matthew. It's too early to be sure of the exact tract, but current forecasts having it just about the latitude of Durham by midday Saturday. Longitude is tougher to guess -- some models have it coming ashore at Wilmington at dawn Saturday (which puts it just on top of Wade Stadium by late afternoon), most have it just off the NC coast (which could still bring us some horrible weather) ... a few have it farther east, well into Atlantic. This is he strongest storm in nine years ... it's worth watching.

Here is a link to the GOES weather satellite imagery, which updates every 15 minutes:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/HUVS.JPG

The storm is definitely a big one and its track will impact travel plans. The National Hurricane Center advisories can be found here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#MATTHEW

devildeac
10-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Weather Channel forecast as of 1800 today is a high of 74, low of 63 and 90% chance of rain for Saturday in Derm. :eek:

jimsumner
10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
More recent forecasts have this tracking further west, which is not good news for the Triangle.

I live 25 miles from Wade and I might leave Friday night and sleep in my car.

Joking. I think.

Then again, I can stay in a climate-controlled building for the game. But is it hurricane proof?

At least fair-weather fans can't complain about sunburn risk. :)

devildeac
10-04-2016, 01:36 PM
More recent forecasts have this tracking further west, which is not good news for the Triangle.

I live 25 miles from Wade and I might leave Friday night and sleep in my car.

Joking. I think.

Then again, I can stay in a climate-controlled building for the game. But is it hurricane proof?

At least fair-weather fans can't complain about sunburn risk. :)

You talkin' Holiday Inn/Fairfield/Hilton Garden type lodging or a Public Storage facility? :rolleyes:

Bob Green
10-04-2016, 01:51 PM
This track isn't looking good for Saturday. I've no problem sitting in the pouring down rain watching football, but driving home in a Hurricane...

Indoor66
10-04-2016, 01:57 PM
This track isn't looking good for Saturday. I've no problem sitting in the pouring down rain watching football, but driving home in a Hurricane...

Just put up a sail....😎

-bdbd
10-04-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm thinking that we could be looking at 70 yard Field Goals when going with the wind...
...and a max range of about 30 yards when going INTO it!!! :eek:

PDDuke85
10-04-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm thinking that we could be looking at 70 yard Field Goals when going with the wind...
...and a max range of about 30 yards when going INTO it!!! :eek:

From someone in the Charleston SC area who won't be making the trip, who makes the determination to cancel the game? Is moving the venue to West Point this late in the week in the equation? Anyone out there recall a hurricane having an impact on a Duke home game in the past?

I was once stranded in a bar, in the Philippines, during a typhoon, due to curfew, but I'm thinking that's a different situation.

Seriously, be safe my coastal brethren.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2016, 09:22 PM
From someone in the Charleston SC area who won't be making the trip, who makes the determination to cancel the game? Is moving the venue to West Point this late in the week in the equation? Anyone out there recall a hurricane having an impact on a Duke home game in the past?

I was once stranded in a bar, in the Philippines, during a typhoon, due to curfew, but I'm thinking that's a different situation.

Don't know, but at some point the governor may have some say in whether first responders will spend time directing traffic in Durham and Raliegh (v. ND) and Chapel Hill (v. V.Tech), or be out dealing with real significant emergency conditions.

sagegrouse
10-04-2016, 11:14 PM

Wouldn't the host school (Duke) make a game-day decision? Unless, of course, the Army team doesn't show up, in which case Army makes a day-before-game-day decision.

Bob Green
10-05-2016, 04:49 AM
Storm track forecast models are looking a bit more promising:

dukelifer
10-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Storm track forecast models are looking a bit more promising:

Looking increasingly likely that NC may not get much of the storm. Some models even have it looping back toward Cuba. Very odd.

DU82
10-05-2016, 07:10 AM
Looking increasingly likely that NC may not get much of the storm. Some models even have it looping back toward Cuba. Very odd.

Even if the eye is just off the coast as currently forecasted, NC will get plenty of wind/rain, since half a hurricane will wind up over the state. So, still a pretty big deal, especially those counties that are saturated from recent rain.

devildeac
10-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Wilmington, NC now forecast to get 7-10" of rain over weekend and storm arriving 24-36 hours later than yesterday's forecast seemed to indicate. Fayetteville, NC now expecting 2-3" of rain and looking like the Triangle area on the fringe of the storm with no Weather Channel prediction for how much wet stuff we might get on Saturday.

Olympic Fan
10-05-2016, 05:40 PM
I was at the ACC office today ... they are monitoring the situation, but as of noon Wednesday, things are looking better than they did 24 hours earlier.

ACC officials will meet midday Thursday to consider what action to take -- I know there are contingency plans to delay the Notre Dame at NC State game to Sunday if necessary ... but they won't be necessary. Interesting that this is one of the few weekends where all three Triangle teams are at home -- and they seem to be closest to the path of the 'cane (at least among ACC venues)

The storm has forced one change of plan -- FSU was going to fly into Miami on Thursday night, now it looks like they're going Friday morning. The game should not be impacted. But Mark Richt is worried about practice -- Miami (the school) was shut down Wednesday evening and won't reopen until Monday.

I very much doubt that any games are cancelled or postposed ... but we all may get wet Saturday.

PS I was just wondering about the crowd ... I think the Duke students are on break this weekend (that should cut 50-60 fans from the crowd), Army won't bring many fans and the threat of weather will keep many away. Our last two home games have averaged 23,000 (officially). I wouldn't be surprised to see 75 percent of that crowd Saturday.

chrishoke
10-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Agreed, 15,000 likely.:(

arnie
10-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Agreed, 15,000 likely.:(

State hosts Notre Dame, Cheats host VPI, all three games on TV, 3- inches of rain. I'll take 10,000 - 60= 9940 actual butts in seats.

DU82
10-05-2016, 08:22 PM
State hosts Notre Dame, Cheats host VPI, all three games on TV, 3- inches of rain. I'll take 10,000 - 60= 9940 actual butts in seats.

By habit, they'll announce the attendance as 9314.

PDDuke85
10-05-2016, 09:29 PM
By habit, they'll announce the attendance as 9314.

As someone staying in the Charleston SC area during Matthew and missing the game from my perch in section 29, your comment made my day! Thanks!

Newton_14
10-05-2016, 09:39 PM
As someone staying in the Charleston SC area during Matthew and missing the game from my perch in section 29, your comment made my day! Thanks!

Be safe PD! I have a young friend that lives in Charleston too. Have not talked to his mom so I don't know if he is planning to come here (Creedmoor) or stay home.

You might as well mosey on up here, catch the game, and stay with us :)! For right now anyway, we are in the clear in terms of anything beyond a small amount of rain! You can sit with Bob Green and me. I'll bring a big umbrella. LOL :)

Hope you guys make out ok. It looks like it will turn out to sea rather than make landfall in the Carolina's. Hopefully that projected line either holds or improves!

Good luck!

devildeac
10-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Be safe PD! I have a young friend that lives in Charleston too. Have not talked to his mom so I don't know if he is planning to come here (Creedmoor) or stay home.

You might as well mosey on up here, catch the game, and stay with us :)! For right now anyway, we are in the clear in terms of anything beyond a small amount of rain! You can sit with Bob Green and me. I'll bring a big umbrella. LOL :)

Hope you guys make out ok. It looks like it will turn out to sea rather than make landfall in the Carolina's. Hopefully that projected line either holds or improves!

Good luck!

Am I not invited this Saturday?

:(

Newton_14
10-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Am I not invited this Saturday?

:(
LOL. I would just checking to make sure you are reading the Football Threads on the board!

Plus I did not want to scare PD away. HA! I keed I keed!

P.S>I'll bring the sunscreen next time there is a hot day. I got burned last Saturday. :)

devildeac
10-05-2016, 11:00 PM
LOL. I would just checking to make sure you are reading the Football Threads on the board!

Plus I did not want to scare PD away. HA! I keed I keed!

P.S>I'll bring the sunscreen next time there is a hot day. I got burned last Saturday. :)

I always read the FB threads on DBR, whether they're labeled that way or not :p :rolleyes: .

I'm amazed you got burned on Saturday, even after a second application of sunscreen. :eek:

Bob Green
10-06-2016, 05:00 AM
With the weather trending positive, I'll be there in Section 19 alongside DevilDeac and Newton_14 wearing my best poncho. I'm looking forward to watching Duke bounce back and one never wants to miss an opportunity to see Army lose.

devildeac
10-06-2016, 06:55 AM
With the weather trending positive, I'll be there in Section 19 alongside DevilDeac and Newton_14 wearing my best poncho. I'm looking forward to watching Duke bounce back and one never wants to miss an opportunity to see Army lose.

I haven't checked any tracking models for Matthew this AM but did note that the Weather Channel has revised its forecast upward (or should that be downward :confused: ) and now lists a 100% chance of rain for Derm on Saturday instead of the 60% I posted yesterday. I'll see your best poncho and raise you a waterproof jacket. :eek:

budwom
10-06-2016, 07:47 AM
as one who is headed to Topsail in less than a week, and who is an established hurricane magnet (for 40+ years), I note that
Matt might actually come around and take a second run at the NC coast next week...some sort of spinorama move...

devildeac
10-06-2016, 09:09 AM
as one who is headed to Topsail in less than a week, and who is an established hurricane magnet (for 40+ years), I note that
Matt might actually come around and take a second run at the NC coast next week...some sort of spinorama move...

Nope. We voted to send it south and east and out to sea.

Might be extra pastrami in it for us.

devildeac
10-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Also posted in the Hurricane Matthew thread on the OTB:

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201614_5day.gif

That is rather bizarre, especially looking at Monday/Tuesday of next week.

From the looks of that however, it "appears" that there'll be little effect on the Duke and NCSU games on Saturday except some rain. (And really, who gives a @#$% about c*rolina?)

Bob Green
10-06-2016, 11:15 AM
From the Twitterverse:

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 19m19 minutes ago  Durham, NC

Looks good for RB Jela Duncan to play for Duke against Army on Saturday. He'll be considered probable. Cutcliffe confident he'll play.

Bob Green
10-06-2016, 11:36 AM
DT Edgar Cerenord is doubtful for Saturday:

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 25m25 minutes ago  Durham, NC

Looks bad for DT Edgar Cerenord to play for Duke against Army. He has a hand injury and is doubtful.

Indoor66
10-06-2016, 07:01 PM
The only good hurricane is served in a curvy glass in New Orleans!😁😈😎

OldPhiKap
10-06-2016, 07:08 PM
I was born in a cross-fire hurricane.

Bob Green
10-06-2016, 07:10 PM

Jumping Jack Flash!

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMrXC8D05Q

devildeac
10-06-2016, 07:29 PM

I'll bet you howled at your ma in the driving rain...

OldPhiKap
10-06-2016, 08:54 PM
I'll bet you howled at your ma in the driving rain...

That's what drove her to go running for the shelter of my mother's little helper.

It's impossible today. I hear everybody say.

Meanwhile, I have a red door but not sure what to do about it.

devildeac
10-06-2016, 08:58 PM
That's what drove her to go running for the shelter of my mother's little helper.

It's impossible today. I hear everybody say.

Meanwhile, I have a red door but not sure what to do about it.

Easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg

Just like our away, err, home unis :o .

awhom111
10-06-2016, 09:57 PM
The Blackout Map is up, so here are your options based on location:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2908271.jpg

Stations:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-army-at-duke-10-08-2016

Black:
-On TV via station in list linked above
-Online through service associated with station in list linked above (subscription generally needed)

Green:
-Online through service associated with station in list linked above (subscription generally needed)
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 795 and Verizon FIOS 828)
-Online via ACC Network Extra/WatchESPN

Olympic Fan
10-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Latest weather update. Hurricane Matthew will not be an issue, except that it will push some wet weather our way. Rain chances 90 percent for every hour of the game -- the Triangle is expected to get 2-4 inches in a 48 hour period. Wind predictions for gametime projected to be between 11-14 mph.

dukelifer
10-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Latest weather update. Hurricane Matthew will not be an issue, except that it will push some wet weather our way. Rain chances 90 percent for every hour of the game -- the Triangle is expected to get 2-4 inches in a 48 hour period. Wind predictions for gametime projected to be between 11-14 mph.

Attendance will be low, I suspect.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2016, 08:52 AM

I understand what your phrasing means, but it sure does sound as though it will be a big issue, effecting attendance as well as game play. It won't cancel the game, but will certainly be a substantial factor.

budwom
10-07-2016, 09:02 AM
good things we're not playing Navy.

Indoor66
10-07-2016, 09:13 AM

Darn right. They got periscopes. :mad:

devildeac
10-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Darn right. They got periscopes. :mad:

Abandon ship!

(no offense to Mr. Green ;) )

jimsumner
10-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Local channels calling for 3-5 inches of rain in the Triangle tomorrow.

Not sure what time the ferries start running.

devildeac
10-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Local channels calling for 3-5 inches of rain in the Triangle tomorrow.

Not sure what time the ferries start running.

I've seen that on my Weather Channel app on my phone but am having a bit of trouble reconciling that with the facts the storm will be heading east from Charleston, SC sometime twixt 0200 and 1400 tomorrow and will be about 250 miles or more away from us by KO time. I understand the counter-clockwise winds, the size of the storm, bands of showers but that still seems a bit excessive. (I'll have a poncho, waterproof jacket, couple hats and waterproof boots just in case.) Do you have a nautical/boating license? :rolleyes:

budwom
10-07-2016, 11:53 AM
I've seen that on my Weather Channel app on my phone but am having a bit of trouble reconciling that with the facts the storm will be heading east from Charleston, SC sometime twixt 0200 and 1400 tomorrow and will be about 250 miles or more away from us by KO time. I understand the counter-clockwise winds, the size of the storm, bands of showers but that still seems a bit excessive. (I'll have a poncho, waterproof jacket, couple hats and waterproof boots just in case.) Do you have a nautical/boating license? :rolleyes:

yeah, in fact the National Weather Service is now calling for "1-2 inches" on Saturday....plenty moist, but not biblical

devildeac
10-07-2016, 12:32 PM
yeah, in fact the National Weather Service is now calling for "1-2 inches" on Saturday...plenty moist, but not biblical

Weather Channel update:

Raleigh: 4-6 inches rain (NCSU fans will just drink more booze :rolleyes: )
Derm: 2-3 inches rain (Duke fans will just show up in even smaller #s)
chappaheyya: who gives a @#$% about c*rolina (insert my favorite joke about building a 10' thick by 40' high wall around the dump and filling it with water ;) )

Indoor66
10-07-2016, 12:57 PM
That is the same group that said South Florida was going to get slammed, for what it's worth....

OldPhiKap
10-07-2016, 02:04 PM
chappaheyya: who gives a @#$% about c*rolina (insert my favorite joke about building a 10' thick by 40' high wall around the dump and filling it with water ;) )

I'm hoping for a Category Five Crapstorm from the NCAA, but as usual it will swerve northwest and tag Cleveland State.

jimsumner
10-07-2016, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=devildeac;914653]Weather Channel update:

Raleigh: 4-6 inches rain (NCSU fans will just drink more booze :rolleyes: )

Is such a thing possible? :)

FWIW, Over the long, long years, I've found that the local folks are generally more accurate than the national folks when forecasting major weather events.

Bob Green
10-07-2016, 03:03 PM
I wore my glasses this week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuG3HTIXYAUndnm.jpg

OldPhiKap
10-07-2016, 03:04 PM
I wore my glasses this week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuG3HTIXYAUndnm.jpg

I have my glasses on, and all I see are various shades of rose.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!

Avvocato
10-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Not sure what to make of this week's game. Coming into the season, Army was the last "winnable" games on the schedule before the rough second half slate. Army, at 3-1, can't be looked at as a gimme. Though we have not historically been good against the run, the last couple of years we have played well against Ga. Tech and Army's option offenses. I hope to see more of the same. Losing Bere as LB depth is a problem for this game, but I believe we have the depth to handle that now (though we have at times played a 4-3 defense against some option offenses in the past). However, with that said, it'll be interesting to see how the rain impacts the game. If we can continue to control Army's running attack, I would imagine they will be limited with their passing attack in the conditions. Having Duncan back will be a huge plus, if we have to slug it out in the mud, rain and wind. Looking forward to a nice bounce back game, conditions aside. With our turnover problems, the wind and rain won't help. Let's take care of the ball most importantly. Let's show some pride, take care of business in the rain, get to 3-3, and then see where the chips fall during the second half.

P.S.

My compliments and respect to those attending tomorrow.

Bob Green
10-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Looking forward to a nice bounce back game, conditions aside. With our turnover problems, the wind and rain won't help. Let's take care of the ball most importantly. Let's show some pride, take care of business in the rain, get to 3-3, and then see where the chips fall during the second half.

This accurately sums up my thoughts. First things first so we need to tighten up on ball security then take care of business against the hated Black Knights (Go Navy!), followed by taking games one at a time to see what happens over the second half of the season.

Newton_14
10-07-2016, 09:18 PM

That's because at the 11am update today, the NWC changed the track to have the storm make it all the way to Wilmington before it hangs that hard right, where previous updates all had the right turn happening at Charleston. If Matthew decides to peak in on Wilmington, we will for sure get hammered in Derm with heavy rains and wind gusts. :mad:

devildeac
10-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Here's another model:

Reilly
10-08-2016, 12:07 AM

In other news, turnovers were not a problem for Duke last week, except they turned the ball over 6 times.

Indoor66
10-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Here's another model:

Is that the Model T?

OldPhiKap
10-08-2016, 08:39 AM
I was going to post some of my model photographs, but don't want to brag.

GAME DAY! Get it done.

Pghdukie
10-08-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm in Myrtle Beach and it's not very pleasant today.

Bob Green
10-08-2016, 10:13 AM
A painful decision but a decision which had to be made, the Green Family will not be making the trip to Durham today. We will be watching from the comfort of our living room. With the weather deteriorating as the day progresses, I couldn't justify the 3+ hour trip each way.

DU82
10-08-2016, 10:29 AM
A painful decision but a decision which had to be made, the Green Family will not be making the trip to Durham today. We will be watching from the comfort of our living room. With the weather deteriorating as the day progresses, I couldn't justify the 3+ hour trip each way.

A flash flood warning just came across my phone. Heavy rain right now in south Durham, moderate winds. But nothing like you on the coast will see later. Nothing wrong with being safe. I'm only six miles away, and will go, but can't question anybody not wanting to drive in this storm, or those that don't want to risk getting sick while sitting out in the rain.

OldPhiKap
10-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Smart decision. Root from the couch.

Newton_14
10-08-2016, 12:15 PM

As will I unfortunately. Pouring rain here and windy. Supposed to get worse before it gets better.

Stinks.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Watching NCSU/ND... slogfest. Much more fun for Watchung on TV.

DU82
10-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Watching NCSU/ND... slogfest. Much more fun for Watchung on TV.

This is the game that State was waiting for all year, selling more season tickets than ever before. To wind up not being able to go has to be so disappointing.

In the game, two bad snaps/laterals already for State. Then a TD called back because the receiver covered up the TE who caught the pass. And then a wide right (with what appeared to be a good snap/hold.) Can't give up points today.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-08-2016, 12:25 PM
This is the game that State was waiting for all year, selling more season tickets than ever before. To wind up not being able to go has to be so disappointing.

In the game, two bad snaps/laterals already for State. Then a TD called back because the receiver covered up the TE who caught the pass. And then a wide right (with what appeared to be a good snap/hold.) Can't give up points today.

Or... can't score points today.

Might find some common themes between games in Eastern NC today.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-08-2016, 12:30 PM
I sure hope its WAY better 15 miles north of here. Because looking out my window here in Cary, I cannot imagine how they will play in this weather. And it's only going to get worse.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-08-2016, 12:39 PM
State goes up 3-0. Could be the final margin.

DukieInKansas
10-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Just watched the ND center "snap" the ball. It squirted out of his hands to the left and he didn't even realize that it didn't get anywhere close to the QB's hands. NCSU's ball.

duke79
10-08-2016, 01:06 PM
I realize football is a tough game and is played in almost all types of weather, but, IMHO, it is RIDICULOUS to play a football game in this type of weather. I'm watching the State/ND game on TV right now and it's a joke. The field is almost completely under water and there's no way the players can hold on to the ball or get good traction. First of all, it is very dangerous to the players with such poor traction. The risk of injury has to be enhanced on days like today in NC. Second, it dangerous to encourage the fans to come out to a game when the driving conditions are seriously hampered. Third, the quality of the football being played is a farce. Fourth, the fields will be destroyed - no doubt.

The games, including the Duke/West Point game, should have been postponed or cancelled (again, IMHO!). Where are the "adults" here??

DukieInKansas
10-08-2016, 01:07 PM
And ND makes their first fumble recovery of the season to get it back. Every step on the field sends water spraying. Should be some interesting games in the Triangle today. Wish I could be there. (I'm enough of a nut to go sit through the whole game.)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-08-2016, 01:19 PM
And ND makes their first fumble recovery of the season to get it back. Every step on the field sends water spraying. Should be some interesting games in the Triangle today. Wish I could be there. (I'm enough of a nut to go sit through the whole game.)

Honestly, I LOVE watching football in rain/snow/mud/wind. It makes for a terrible but entertaining product. I recall a Steelers/Ravens game several years back that was a mud fest. A punt landed on the field and effectively stuck in like a javelin. I think the final score was 6-3?

SCMatt33
10-08-2016, 01:39 PM
I realize football is a tough game and is played in almost all types of weather, but, IMHO, it is RIDICULOUS to play a football game in this type of weather. I'm watching the State/ND game on TV right now and it's a joke. The field is almost completely under water and there's no way the players can hold on to the ball or get good traction. First of all, it is very dangerous to the players with such poor traction. The risk of injury has to be enhanced on days like today in NC. Second, it dangerous to encourage the fans to come out to a game when the driving conditions are seriously hampered. Third, the quality of the football being played is a farce. Fourth, the fields will be destroyed - no doubt.

The games, including the Duke/West Point game, should have been postponed or cancelled (again, IMHO!). Where are the "adults" here??

Maybe the medical experts around here could correct me, but I would think playing in this kind of mud would actually have less injury risk than normal. With soft ground and little traction, it would seem a less conducive environment to have plant feet get stuck while the body above twists and turns. The poor field conditions also make it harder to build up the kind of speed necessary for massive hits to the head. With the major caveat that there's no lightning or visibility issues, I can't see it being more dangerous than football on a normal day (which is already very dangerous).

You could make the argument that it's dangerous to fans with slippery stairs etc, but that would be a reason to close the game to fans, not cancel the game assuming there's no obvious make up date.

WakeDevil
10-08-2016, 01:42 PM
You will notice part of the field is collecting water and that the runoff is not good. It will be interesting to watch the other two fields later today.

devil84
10-08-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm four miles south (and slightly west) of Carter-Finley Stadium. It's as saturated as I've seen the rain here. It's been constantly heavy all day. No breaks in the rain at all.

Last week, the town sent out their annual environmental awareness swag. A reusable grocery bag contained a seed packet for helping the bees, a few cards of information, and a rain gauge. Hmm...I figured I'd put the rain gauge out, just for kicks. Glad I did. It holds 2 inches of rain. It was completely full at 12:35pm today when I emptied it. At 1:15, it had an inch of water in it. That's at least 3" today, with many more hours of rain to come.

Watching the State game, the conditions look awful (and match what I'm seeing here). Can't imagine it gets any better in a few hours, and Wallace Wade is only 18 miles NNW of Carter-Finley.

Duke79 asked, "Where are the adults?" Maybe they're at ESPN and Raycom, nicely warm and dry, I guess.

budwom
10-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Maybe the medical experts around here could correct me, but I would think playing in this kind of mud would actually have less injury risk than normal. With soft ground and little traction, it would seem a less conducive environment to have plant feet get stuck while the body above twists and turns. The poor field conditions also make it harder to build up the kind of speed necessary for massive hits to the head. With the major caveat that there's no lightning or visibility issues, I can't see it being more dangerous than football on a normal day (which is already very dangerous).

You could make the argument that it's dangerous to fans with slippery stairs etc, but that would be a reason to close the game to fans, not cancel the game assuming there's no obvious make up date.

Decades ago I played in a Mud Football League (loosely organized, just four teams from ski towns in Vermont, Maine and New Hamster) and it was
a lot of fun....not many injuries at all, it was hard moving faster than about 3 mph...(we got the local fire dept. to flood the field pre-game with the fire hoses)...Sports
Illustrated had a nice piece about it...as for today's real football, yeah, it doesn't look too dangerous, tough to plant a foot...

jimsumner
10-08-2016, 02:44 PM
I'm safely in the Wade press box and it's dry and we have electricity, the latter not being the case in my home in West Raleigh.

But it's a mess, heavy rain, strong wind gusts and it's hard to believe they're going to have a football game in less than a hour. I-40 from Raleigh to Durham is flooded in numerous low-lying spots and cars are hydroplaning all over the place.

If you're planning on coming and haven't left, my unprofessional advice is stay home and listen to Bob Harris.

budwom
10-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm safely in the Wade press box and it's dry and we have electricity, the latter not being the case in my home in West Raleigh.

But it's a mess, heavy rain, strong wind gusts and it's hard to believe they're going to have a football game in less than a hour. I-40 from Raleigh to Durham is flooded in numerous low-lying spots and cars are hydroplaning all over the place.

If you're planning on coming and haven't left, my unprofessional advice is stay home and listen to Bob Harris.

Bob's interpretation of the game is always entertaining, if at times lacking in clarity.

-jk
10-08-2016, 02:57 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

-jk
10-08-2016, 03:01 PM
This NOAA site (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=9&scroll_zoom=true&center=36.07241230197147,-79.46411132812499&basemap=ESRI%20Topographic&boundaries=false,false,false&obs=true&obs_type=precip&precip_interval=24&obs_popup=true&obs_density=1&mrms=true&mrms_type=24&mrms_opacity=60) gives a nice summary of rainfall. (Not every rain gauge reports accurately, but it gives a really nice overview of the last 24 hours.)

Looks like 3-4" so far - a bit damp down there...

-jk

ipatent
10-08-2016, 04:59 PM
How bad is the weather so far?

jimsumner
10-08-2016, 05:06 PM
How bad is the weather so far?

It's pouring down rain, with strong wind gusts. There might be a thousand people in the stands. Or might not.

But the field is holding up quite well under circumstances not likely to be replicated anytime soon.

duke79
10-08-2016, 05:31 PM
It's pouring down rain, with strong wind gusts. There might be a thousand people in the stands. Or might not.

But the field is holding up quite well under circumstances not likely to be replicated anytime soon.

On TV, there looks to be about 300 people in the stands! The field has held up much better than I would have guessed. Didn't they put in some super-duper drainage system when they put the new field down? Obviously, it's working very well.

I still maintain they should have postponed or cancelled the game!

dukelifer
10-08-2016, 05:56 PM
On TV, there looks to be about 300 people in the stands! The field has held up much better than I would have guessed. Didn't they put in some super-duper drainage system when they put the new field down? Obviously, it's working very well.

I still maintain they should have postponed or cancelled the game!

It is a mess in the area with flooding in many stretches of road coupled with some downed trees. Best to stay home. The drainage system is state of the art - but this weather is testing it for sure.

ipatent
10-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Evidently not a good day for kicking or passing.

ipatent
10-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Under three minutes, less than 100 total yards passing for both teams. No FG attempt for either side. Three touchdowns and only one single point conversion.

The people in the stands are FANS.

PDDuke85
10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Evidently not a good day for kicking or passing.

O line blocking too but I'm hurricane fatigued and just a tad edgy. God bless anyone sitting out at WW @BF. God bless those impacting by Matthew.

ipatent
10-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Not sure how Virginia Tech put up 34 eight miles down the road. The passing stats in that game weren't much better.

richardjackson199
10-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Decades ago I played in a Mud Football League (loosely organized, just four teams from ski towns in Vermont, Maine and New Hamster) and it was
a lot of fun...not many injuries at all, it was hard moving faster than about 3 mph...(we got the local fire dept. to flood the field pre-game with the fire hoses)...Sports
Illustrated had a nice piece about it...as for today's real football, yeah, it doesn't look too dangerous, tough to plant a foot...

I hope this is right. I didn't see the game, so I didn't see our injuries. But listening to it they said it looked like knee injuries to both Jela Duncan and Austin Davis (starting center). Both players did not return. I hope they're ok and 100% Friday night. We will need them at Louisville.

Great win!

Newton_14
10-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Not sure how Virginia Tech put up 34 eight miles down the road. The passing stats in that game weren't much better.

Because unCheat can't stop the run and can't run it themselves. They rely heavily on passing. Recipe for disaster on a day like today. Could not happen to a better crowd.

OZ
10-08-2016, 07:49 PM
A word to the Duke band members who persevered to the end... THANK YOU!!!! You were much appreciated.

sagegrouse
10-08-2016, 07:54 PM
After my DVD spent five minutes looking for a channel that wasn't blocked -- including my old stand-bys in Arizona and San Diego -- I thought I was out of luck. Then I got onto some DirecTV channel way higher than anything else I've seen -- 795 -- which showed the game. Funny thing is, it re-broadcast the Fox Arizona cable station, which was blocked. I dunno, guys and gals, but at least I got to see the game.

Sage
'I had really bad feelings about the likely outcome the entire fourth quarter, but our guys came through at the end'

Newton_14
10-08-2016, 07:59 PM
On another note... We might not have a Top 5 FB Program (yet!), and people might ridicule our stadium and average fan attendance, but we for sure have a Top 5 or better Football Field. It almost looked normal on TV, and was just superior compared to the conditions over at Carter-Finley where the field was at best gawd-awful! I have not seen highlights from the Va-Tech game at the dump on the hump, so don't know how the field there compared to State and Duke. Prior to the game, the TV Sideline Reporter was reporting on the field and pointed out the Top Flight drainage system and stated that the field and drainage system could withstand 15 inches of rain per hour! It got tested today and passed with flying colors!

Go Duke!

killerleft
10-08-2016, 08:12 PM
On another note... We might not have a Top 5 FB Program (yet!), and people might ridicule our stadium and average fan attendance, but we for sure have a Top 5 or better Football Field. It almost looked normal on TV, and was just superior compared to the conditions over at Carter-Finley where the field was at best gawd-awful! I have not seen highlights from the Va-Tech game at the dump on the hump, so don't know how the field there compared to State and Duke. Prior to the game, the TV Sideline Reporter was reporting on the field and pointed out the Top Flight drainage system and stated that the field and drainage system could withstand 15 inches of rain per hour! It got tested today and passed with flying colors!

Go Duke!

Yes. Brooks Field was amazing. Hard to believe a natural turf field could hold up like that!

DU82
10-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Just home and dried out from the game. Only had to drive six miles, glad it wasn't further. Some signals are out along 751 MLK in Durham, and I lost power at home for about three hours (so no recording of the game.)

Most of the people in the stadium were sitting relatively dry under the tower seats (other than where it LEAKS!) There were maybe a dozen or so in each section in front of them. Credit to DUMB, as mentioned above. Besides the weather, I believe it was fall break. Maybe a hundred or so on the east side, plus the Army band. Definitely the worst conditions I've ever been in watching a football game. Even the Notre Dame game in '07, 35 degrees and sleeting, wasn't as bad. (I wasn't at VT when it was about 15 degrees.)

Regarding the game, we took advantage of early mistakes by Army, and then held on as the weather got worse. Listening to Cut on the drive back, we couldn't use our spread offense because there was no way to get the ball out to the receivers. So after the first couple of series, Army was able to stack the box and keep us contained. Key stats he quoted were that we were 7 of 11 converting third downs (we only had nine for the game) and that kept the time of possession in our favor. They were something like 2 of 14 in converting 3rd and 4th downs. We did have a punt blocked, but with no harm, and we won the turnover battle.

Chalk up a win, get dry and be safe.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2016, 10:32 PM
The Parking Nazi's must go.

devildeac
10-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Oh, so many thoughts. Thankfully, we arrived safely from Raleigh. We had about 20 people at our tailgate, the only attendees in Devil's Alley. As we drove to the Card Gym lot and asked politely if we could use our Chem lot pass today for drop-off or simply just park there, we were flatly and rudely refused, not even being allowed into the lot for drop-off and making several cars wait on Tower View while I unloaded a couple bags. There were all of about 15 cars there. Then, Mrs. dd parked in the Chem lot where there were about 10 more cars parked and the attendants were not allowing any game day parking for $10/car but sending folks farther away. After my wife was picked up by our daughter and her spouse, they drove to the Card lot where we had secured a drop-off pass and they entered. Less than an hour later, a dry attendant came by and told our SIL he could move his car or pay the $300 to recover it after they had it towed. Several tent members asked nicely/pleaded with the official to let him stay but to no avail. He and our daughter left, not to return for the rest of the day. He has already relayed his story to an ID friend of his who expressed his disgust and promised him "he will share that experience with those who need to know."

A loud, prolonged round of applause to coaches, staff and players on the FB team for slogging that win out today. Also, bows and thanks to CameronBornAndBred and TNTDevil who showed up at who knows what hour and set up our ancillary tent and prepared a fine tailgate feast of pulled pork, ribs, slaw and coconut cupcakes. Not our usual fantastic spread, but damn, it was exceedingly tasty. Good to see some of the usual suspects at our tents, meet a few of Ozzie's friends and have August West invite me to a (mostly) dry, but drippy (:rolleyes:) seat under the press box for the second half.

To those who chose not to attend: Y'all made really, really good decisions. It was pretty miserable out there for the half I stood under my umbrella in section 22, not obstructing anyone's view :rolleyes:. The drainage system on our field is truly amazing with few if any puddles, fairly good footing for the players and some punts that actually rolled a few extra yards instead of just splashing to a halt.

Worst conditions under which I've ever viewed a game, but, it could have been 10/20/30 degrees colder with (even worse) blowing rain, or in the teens/20s and snowing/sleeting. What stories we have to tell family, friends and neighbors now! If anyone will listen, of course :o .

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Oh, so many thoughts. Thankfully, we arrived safely from Raleigh. We had about 20 people at our tailgate, the only attendees in Devil's Alley. As we drove to the Card Gym lot and asked politely if we could use our Chem lot pass today for drop-off or simply just park there, we were flatly and rudely refused, not even being allowed into the lot for drop-off and making several cars wait on Tower View while I unloaded a couple bags. There were all of about 15 cars there. Then, Mrs. dd parked in the Chem lot where there were about 10 more cars parked and the attendants were not allowing any game day parking for $10/car but sending folks farther away. After my wife was picked up by our daughter and her spouse, they drove to the Card lot where we had secured a drop-off pass and they entered. Less than an hour later, a dry attendant came by and told our SIL he could move his car or pay the $300 to recover it after they had it towed. Several tent members asked nicely/pleaded with the official to let him stay but to no avail. He and our daughter left, not to return for the rest of the day. He has already relayed his story to an ID friend of his who expressed his disgust and promised him "he will share that experience with those who need to know."

A loud, prolonged round of applause to coaches, staff and players on the FB team for slogging that win out today. Also, bows and thanks to CameronBornAndBred and TNTDevil who showed up at who knows what hour and set up our ancillary tent and prepared a fine tailgate feast of pulled pork, ribs, slaw and coconut cupcakes. Not our usual fantastic spread, but damn, it was exceedingly tasty. Good to see some of the usual suspects at our tents, meet a few of Ozzie's friends and have August West invite me to a (mostly) dry, but drippy (:rolleyes:) seat under the press box for the second half.

To those who chose not to attend: Y'all made really, really good decisions. It was pretty miserable out there for the half I stood under my umbrella in section 22, not obstructing anyone's view :rolleyes:. The drainage system on our field is truly amazing with few if any puddles, fairly good footing for the players and some punts that actually rolled a few extra yards instead of just splashing to a halt.

Worst conditions under which I've ever viewed a game, but, it could have been 10/20/30 degrees colder with (even worse) blowing rain, or in the teens/20s and snowing/sleeting. What stories we have to tell family, friends and neighbors now! If anyone will listen, of course :o .

What a great crowd!!

devildeac
10-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Attendance: 20,613

DukieInKansas
10-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Attendance: 20,613

You made me laugh out loud.

magnus
10-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Apologies if this is too long, believe it or not I actually cut out quite a bit. I personally don't think there is much to discuss on the football X's and O's from this game, so instead I would like to share my personal story.

It's been many, many years since I've posted on DBR but I've been a long time lurker. I'm also a Duke Football junkie going back to my undergrad days in the late 90s. I live in the midwest, so for many years I never got to see any Duke games on TV, but I would spend my Saturday mornings scouring internet feeds for any Duke Radio Network affiliates until I found one that was actually broadcasting the football game (most were really only basketball affiliates). I pledged to attend a bowl game, were Duke ever to manage to make one again. I followed through on that pledge when I dragged my 7 year daughter out to Charlotte for the Belk bowl. I then added my wife and son for each subsequent bowl, and we have made some great family memories. My friends and family think my addiction to Duke bowl games is a bit insane, but I think this weekend probably eclipses even that, in their eyes...

Late Friday, I bolted from work to grab my 7 year own son and race to the airport for our flight from Kansas City to RDU. At many points in the week it seemed we would likely cancel, but when the time rolled around it seemed the weather may not be _too bad_ so we went for it. My son has a highly flammable temperament, so the thought of even dragging him along on this adventure was nuts from the start. We arrived to our hotel around 11:30 PM and went straight to bed, knowing that Saturday would be an exhausting day.

Up early and off to campus for the requisite tour for my first-timer son--a driving tour would have to do on this occasion. The rain had been coming down non-stop as long as we had been in town (and I imagine even well before that). After a quick tour we headed to the Bryan Center. I'm not really known for showing up prepared; so we needed to load up on umbrellas, ponchos, etc. Then we headed to the West Union building for an early lunch--if you are ever on campus and haven't take the chance to try out the new dining options there, you are really missing out! I'm jealous of the current student dining options, but proud of Duke for upping their game. Just the walk from the BC to the West Union building was brutal. My son was already suggesting we cut our losses and go home. A good meal raised spirits though, and we headed back to the BC to hang out and watch the NC State game, as there wasn't much going on in terms of Duke pre-game, and for good reason. We did head over to the athletic facilities around 1:15 just in case they were still doing the devil walk (it was the only pre-game activity not yet officially canceled). Alas, the walk didn't happen or at least wasn't anywhere near the regular spot, so we took refuge in Card, hitting the Duke store there for a new pair of socks for my son--probably money well spent. Not long after that he was hungry again so we went ahead and headed for the stadium, probably among the first 10-20 non-staff folks to enter. We grabbed standard stadium food and took cover under the tower. The winds were intense though, and again my son was begging to go home. At this point, I'm thinking this was a giant mistake.

I notice people starting to fill up seats in the handicap sections, so we head over there and stand around a bit watching warmups. My son has a physical condition that makes it substantially more difficult for him to stand for extended periods of time, so I realize standing around to watch the game isn't gonna be a great strategy. I also see people start taking seats in the last few rows, covered by the tower seats above. You don't have to be a statistics major to realize that they couldn't all actually be in their assigned seats there. So, I start to head down there so my son can sit, and I'm rudely greated by an usher asking to see our tickets. I ask if we can just sit there for a few minutes, pledging to even proactively clear the seats well before the game starts. She was extremely rude, and clearly not empowered to use reason and logic in her customer service role. This aggravated me, and I'm usually pretty mellow. We'd followed all the rules, only brought Duke store bags into the stadium, even took extra care to keep the receipts dry for inspection. Purchased seasons tickets, not to mention travel expenses, Duke store patronage, etc. All I wanted was a short period in seats that were clearly not gonna be occupied anytime soon. Actually, I would have even settled for a kinder, gentler rejection. Sigh, my son had finally won me over to the idea of throwing in the towel.

We actually headed back for our car, a good 30 minutes before the game was even set to start. Right as we got into the open though, the rain started to let up a bit. I convinced my son to try to stick it out until at least kickoff. He agreed and we headed for the endzone, and took our proper bleacher seats, and huddled under umbrellas--fully expecting someone to come along and tell us we had to take them down. Nevermind, that we were the only two people in the entire section and we set at the back to allow plenty of rows of unobstructed viewing for anyone else who would come along. After a few minutes, I notice all of the covered rows that we had previously occupied are now suddenly completing filling up. Guess, the stadium staff finally came to their senses. During this time I'm still fuming, planning to give whoever will listen at Duke a piece of my mind. Kickoff rolled around and I thought getting the ball in play would probably lift my son's spirits. He did engage immediately in the action and started calling out things he saw, and seemed, at times, to even forget the ridiculous conditions we were in. Sometime around the middle of Q1, a man came by and stopped and kind of looked at us. I thought, oh great, now we're gonna hear that our umbrellas have to go. As it turned out, though, he was sizing us up for "the golden ticket(s)" He had extra club level tickets, and we had seemingly looked pitiful enough to earn the offer. You don't have to ask us twice, we said thank you and bolted to the elevator.

Once in the club level we had a chance to dry off, grab some food and then watch the game from a covered area. This totally changed the experience of the day, and I'm so grateful to the individual who bothered to find someone to use his extra tickets. We were headed to a miserable experience and likely an early exit. Instead we stayed for the whole game, and my son even declared it the best game day experience ever--remember, he's been to 3 bowls game, so this was high praise from him.

A special shout-out to the band, as a DUMB alum I felt a sense of betrayal leaving the bleachers for the club level. You guys were amazing and your dedication to what likely feels like a thankless role in the athletic program is commendable. The reason I drag my kids on trips like these is to point out life lessons, and help them find legitimate role models. It brought joy to my heart to see my son watching the DUMB half-time performance with a sense of amazement and a newfound respect.

Also, to all those who braved the uncovered seats the whole game--you are my heroes! I don't really care to engage in debates about whether the students, alums, staff, etc. do enough to properly support the football team. Instead, I'd rather just shine a light on those who are there, especially in conditions like today. On the way back to my car, I asked my son what lessons he learned today. I think he summed it up well...1) sometimes when things aren't going well you just have to wait and something good will happen and 2) there's always someone suffering more than you (we talked about the people having to stand in the elements doing security checks, the band, the team, and all the other staff that had to be out in the elements and didn't have a choice to leave).

Next Play,
Magnus '00

awhom111
10-09-2016, 12:21 AM
After my DVD spent five minutes looking for a channel that wasn't blocked -- including my old stand-bys in Arizona and San Diego -- I thought I was out of luck. Then I got onto some DirecTV channel way higher than anything else I've seen -- 795 -- which showed the game. Funny thing is, it re-broadcast the Fox Arizona cable station, which was blocked. I dunno, guys and gals, but at least I got to see the game.

Sage
'I had really bad feelings about the likely outcome the entire fourth quarter, but our guys came through at the end'

Explained here roughly:

The Blackout Map is up, so here are your options based on location:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2908271.jpg

Stations:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-army-at-duke-10-08-2016

Black:

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 795 and Verizon FIOS 828)
-Online via ACC Network Extra/WatchESPN

OldPhiKap
10-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Apologies if this is too long, believe it or not I actually cut out quite a bit. I personally don't think there is much to discuss on the football X's and O's from this game, so instead I would like to share my personal story.

It's been many, many years since I've posted on DBR but I've been a long time lurker. I'm also a Duke Football junkie going back to my undergrad days in the late 90s. I live in the midwest, so for many years I never got to see any Duke games on TV, but I would spend my Saturday mornings scouring internet feeds for any Duke Radio Network affiliates until I found one that was actually broadcasting the football game (most were really only basketball affiliates). I pledged to attend a bowl game, were Duke ever to manage to make one again. I followed through on that pledge when I dragged my 7 year daughter out to Charlotte for the Belk bowl. I then added my wife and son for each subsequent bowl, and we have made some great family memories. My friends and family think my addiction to Duke bowl games is a bit insane, but I think this weekend probably eclipses even that, in their eyes...

Late Friday, I bolted from work to grab my 7 year own son and race to the airport for our flight from Kansas City to RDU. At many points in the week it seemed we would likely cancel, but when the time rolled around it seemed the weather may not be _too bad_ so we went for it. My son has a highly flammable temperament, so the thought of even dragging him along on this adventure was nuts from the start. We arrived to our hotel around 11:30 PM and went straight to bed, knowing that Saturday would be an exhausting day.

Up early and off to campus for the requisite tour for my first-timer son--a driving tour would have to do on this occasion. The rain had been coming down non-stop as long as we had been in town (and I imagine even well before that). After a quick tour we headed to the Bryan Center. I'm not really known for showing up prepared; so we needed to load up on umbrellas, ponchos, etc. Then we headed to the West Union building for an early lunch--if you are ever on campus and haven't take the chance to try out the new dining options there, you are really missing out! I'm jealous of the current student dining options, but proud of Duke for upping their game. Just the walk from the BC to the West Union building was brutal. My son was already suggesting we cut our losses and go home. A good meal raised spirits though, and we headed back to the BC to hang out and watch the NC State game, as there wasn't much going on in terms of Duke pre-game, and for good reason. We did head over to the athletic facilities around 1:15 just in case they were still doing the devil walk (it was the only pre-game activity not yet officially canceled). Alas, the walk didn't happen or at least wasn't anywhere near the regular spot, so we took refuge in Card, hitting the Duke store there for a new pair of socks for my son--probably money well spent. Not long after that he was hungry again so we went ahead and headed for the stadium, probably among the first 10-20 non-staff folks to enter. We grabbed standard stadium food and took cover under the tower. The winds were intense though, and again my son was begging to go home. At this point, I'm thinking this was a giant mistake.

I notice people starting to fill up seats in the handicap sections, so we head over there and stand around a bit watching warmups. My son has a physical condition that makes it substantially more difficult for him to stand for extended periods of time, so I realize standing around to watch the game isn't gonna be a great strategy. I also see people start taking seats in the last few rows, covered by the tower seats above. You don't have to be a statistics major to realize that they couldn't all actually be in their assigned seats there. So, I start to head down there so my son can sit, and I'm rudely greated by an usher asking to see our tickets. I ask if we can just sit there for a few minutes, pledging to even proactively clear the seats well before the game starts. She was extremely rude, and clearly not empowered to use reason and logic in her customer service role. This aggravated me, and I'm usually pretty mellow. We'd followed all the rules, only brought Duke store bags into the stadium, even took extra care to keep the receipts dry for inspection. Purchased seasons tickets, not to mention travel expenses, Duke store patronage, etc. All I wanted was a short period in seats that were clearly not gonna be occupied anytime soon. Actually, I would have even settled for a kinder, gentler rejection. Sigh, my son had finally won me over to the idea of throwing in the towel.

We actually headed back for our car, a good 30 minutes before the game was even set to start. Right as we got into the open though, the rain started to let up a bit. I convinced my son to try to stick it out until at least kickoff. He agreed and we headed for the endzone, and took our proper bleacher seats, and huddled under umbrellas--fully expecting someone to come along and tell us we had to take them down. Nevermind, that we were the only two people in the entire section and we set at the back to allow plenty of rows of unobstructed viewing for anyone else who would come along. After a few minutes, I notice all of the covered rows that we had previously occupied are now suddenly completing filling up. Guess, the stadium staff finally came to their senses. During this time I'm still fuming, planning to give whoever will listen at Duke a piece of my mind. Kickoff rolled around and I thought getting the ball in play would probably lift my son's spirits. He did engage immediately in the action and started calling out things he saw, and seemed, at times, to even forget the ridiculous conditions we were in. Sometime around the middle of Q1, a man came by and stopped and kind of looked at us. I thought, oh great, now we're gonna hear that our umbrellas have to go. As it turned out, though, he was sizing us up for "the golden ticket(s)" He had extra club level tickets, and we had seemingly looked pitiful enough to earn the offer. You don't have to ask us twice, we said thank you and bolted to the elevator.

Once in the club level we had a chance to dry off, grab some food and then watch the game from a covered area. This totally changed the experience of the day, and I'm so grateful to the individual who bothered to find someone to use his extra tickets. We were headed to a miserable experience and likely an early exit. Instead we stayed for the whole game, and my son even declared it the best game day experience ever--remember, he's been to 3 bowls game, so this was high praise from him.

A special shout-out to the band, as a DUMB alum I felt a sense of betrayal leaving the bleachers for the club level. You guys were amazing and your dedication to what likely feels like a thankless role in the athletic program is commendable. The reason I drag my kids on trips like these is to point out life lessons, and help them find legitimate role models. It brought joy to my heart to see my son watching the DUMB half-time performance with a sense of amazement and a newfound respect.

Also, to all those who braved the uncovered seats the whole game--you are my heroes! I don't really care to engage in debates about whether the students, alums, staff, etc. do enough to properly support the football team. Instead, I'd rather just shine a light on those who are there, especially in conditions like today. On the way back to my car, I asked my son what lessons he learned today. I think he summed it up well...1) sometimes when things aren't going well you just have to wait and something good will happen and 2) there's always someone suffering more than you (we talked about the people having to stand in the elements doing security checks, the band, the team, and all the other staff that had to be out in the elements and didn't have a choice to leave).

Next Play,
Magnus '00

Appreciate you sharing the story, post more often!

WakeDevil
10-09-2016, 10:20 AM
The Parking Nazi's must go.

They can take that apostrophe with them.

Bob Green
10-09-2016, 11:44 AM
From Jim Sumner's article on the front page:

Coach Cutcliffe on redshirt freshmen wide receiver Aaron Young:

Young has “some of the best hands on the team,” Cutcliffe said, “and we needed to get him on the field. Hopefully, this will energize him for the future.”

Injuries are a cause for concern:

Cutcliffe said that Duke’s offense isn’t built for conditions like today—whose is—but there were other problems. Tailback Jela Duncan and center Austin Davis went down with injuries.

Cutcliffe said Duke was “concerned” for both, suggesting that neither would need surgery but that it might take some time before we see them back on the field. More evaluation needed but something to watch.

Reilly
10-09-2016, 09:49 PM
For anyone who sat through both, how'd yesterday's rain compare to the 17-13 MD game in 2009(?)?

Reilly
10-09-2016, 09:52 PM
And how about PB being prepared and that jump pass?

DU82
10-09-2016, 10:23 PM
For anyone who sat through both, how'd yesterday's rain compare to the 17-13 MD game in 2009(?)?

Yesterday was worse. I must admit I don't remember specifics about that MD game, but had it been as bad as a hurricane, I think I would have remembered more. Checking the box score, given yesterday's weather, I am sure no QB would have been able to throw for 371 yards the way Thad did that day.

orrnot
10-09-2016, 11:53 PM
Yesterday was worse. I must admit I don't remember specifics about that MD game, but had it been as bad as a hurricane, I think I would have remembered more. Checking the box score, given yesterday's weather, I am sure no QB would have been able to throw for 371 yards the way Thad did that day.

Yesterday was worse, I agree. I think that Maryland game had one or more torrential moments that might have momentarily surpassed the Army game's steady rainfall, but I don't recall a rain so relentlessly continuous as last Saturday's.

devildeac
10-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Note to Bob Green and Newton_14:

I did bring sunscreen for youz guyz on Saturday but had the waterproof version this time. :rolleyes:

grossbus
10-10-2016, 10:56 AM
"A special shout-out to the band, as a DUMB alum I felt a sense of betrayal leaving the bleachers for the club level. You guys were amazing and your dedication to what likely feels like a thankless role in the athletic program is commendable. The reason I drag my kids on trips like these is to point out life lessons, and help them find legitimate role models. It brought joy to my heart to see my son watching the DUMB half-time performance with a sense of amazement and a newfound respect. "

yes to this. as another DUMB alum, i was very proud of the band. not sure i like where they have been positioned in the stadium. whose bright idea was that? completely separated from the students??

hackysack123
10-10-2016, 12:03 PM
any update on Injuries from this game? I remember seeing Jela Duncan hurt.

DU82
10-10-2016, 12:13 PM
"A special shout-out to the band, as a DUMB alum I felt a sense of betrayal leaving the bleachers for the club level. You guys were amazing and your dedication to what likely feels like a thankless role in the athletic program is commendable. The reason I drag my kids on trips like these is to point out life lessons, and help them find legitimate role models. It brought joy to my heart to see my son watching the DUMB half-time performance with a sense of amazement and a newfound respect. "

yes to this. as another DUMB alum, i was very proud of the band. not sure i like where they have been positioned in the stadium. whose bright idea was that? completely separated from the students??

This DUMB alum likes where they are in the stadium. The student section actually surrounds DUMB. But we can now hear them much better in the other end of the stadium. Before, they were aimed more at the visiting bench, from their new location in the end zone, they project better to the Tower side.

Avvocato
10-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Not much to analyze from a game standpoint. Playing in a game like that you need to minimize mistakes, which we did for the most part. We got the early lead and held on for deal life. The disturbing news is the injuries to Davis and Duncan. We'll have to see how that news develops.

Again, a lot of respect and appreciation for those that attended on Saturday. A tip of my cap to you. I also hope everyone returned home safely and all of that good stuff.

Bob Green
10-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Top 5 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E304dOyQ_Bg&feature=youtu.be

Jela Duncan did a great job picking up the LB blitz on the 22 yard TD pass from Jones to Young.

Newton_14
10-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Top 5 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E304dOyQ_Bg&feature=youtu.be

Jela Duncan did a great job picking up the LB blitz on the 22 yard TD pass from Jones to Young.

Yes he did! I noticed that right off the bat. A great block that gave Jones enough time to make the throw. Young made a great catch on that play as well.