RB Jela Duncan (leg)
DE Dominic McDonald (upper body)

OUT FOR SEASON
LB Tinashe Bere (leg)
S DeVon Edwards (leg)
S Javon Jackson (foot)
DT Zach Morris (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

Obviously, we knew about Edwards ... but losing Bere for the season is out of left field. When did that happen?

And losing Duncan for this game -- I assume he was hurt on his last run to get the first down inside the 5 to set up the field goal. That's a terrible blow.

BLPOG
09-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Duke Football Injury Report
Duke vs. Virginia
September 29, 2016

QUESTIONABLE
WR Keyston Fuller (leg)

OUT
RB Jela Duncan (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON
LB Tinashe Bere (leg)
S DeVon Edwards (leg)
S Javon Jackson (foot)
DT Zach Morris (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

Obviously, we knew about Edwards ... but losing Bere for the season is out of left field. When did that happen?

And losing Duncan for this game -- I assume he was hurt on his last run to get the first down inside the 5 to set up the field goal. That's a terrible blow.

Yikes. Anybody have more info on any of the new injuries?

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Agggh!! I was prepared to see names that we knew were coming, but there a couple surprises in there, especially Duncan's. The bright side (if one can be found) about losing DeVon was that it happened SO early in the ND game, and we still pulled off the upset. But, we pulled off the upset with Jela's major contributions. That's a huge loss.

Once again, time for guys to step up. I hate seeing injuries in our RB corps, because that means more snaps for less guys, which increases the likelihood of more injuries. Vicious cycle, crossing fingers we stay healthy on Saturday.

richardjackson199
09-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Ugh.

I see 68% of the bets have been coming in for Duke who Vegas favors by 4. Not too surprising after Notre Dame. Maybe Joe Q Public Bettor sees this injury report and starts taking UVA and the points. And hopefully the wiseguy sharps know something else that Duke will find a way. Maybe Bracey debuts as the next coming of Jamison Crowder or better. I'm reaching, because it looks scary to this Joe Q.

If Cut guides this team to a bowl with these injuries, this season may end up being his most impressive ever at Duke. For now, hoping for a win at Homecoming.

elvis14
09-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Oh my, put "Football" in the thread title!!!!! I was worried Grayson or Giles or someone else had gotten hurt. Not that I don't feel for the football players but they have a much bigger roster and they do tend to get injured at higher rate because....well because it's football.

Tom B.
09-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Yikes. With both Duncan and Edwards out, Shaun Wilson is going to be a busy dude on Saturday.

devildeac
09-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Yikes. With both Duncan and Edwards out, Shaun Wilson is going to be a busy dude on Saturday.

Who steps up to help Wilson (the football player, not the poster with the volleyball :rolleyes: ), Ajeigbe or freshman Brown?

Olympic Fan
09-29-2016, 01:33 PM
I don't know how this impacts Duke's RB rotation Saturday.

Wilson obviously starts and gets the bulk of the carries,

The guys backing him up -- Ajeigbe, Pierre, Boden, Mann -- got a few snaps in the second half against NCCU, but haven't played (at RB) since.

Does Cut burn Brittain Brown's redshirt?

Brown is a very highly rated (four-star) recruit who looked good in preseason.

I think it comes down to the severity of Duncan's injury. If it's a short-term thing, I suspect the coaches will try and go with Ajeigbe and company. If it looks like a long-term deal, then I think we see Brown.

I'm also interested in the rotation behind Ben Humphreys at Mike Linebacker. It's easy to say that freshman Koby Quansah just gets more snaps, but he's working at Will Linebacker, behind Joe Gilles-Harris. I asked Ben earlier this week about interchanging LBs and he said that the Mike and Will LBs have specific roles and in Quansah's case, it's tough enough for a true freshman to learn one role ... tough to learn both. Maybe Xavier Carmichael -- who is also a Will LB -- could move over, since he has more experience. He played there some in spring.

Other than that, I don't know who the third team Mike LB is (Duke only releases its two-deep chart and Bere was behind Humphreys). Brandon Hill? Xander Gagnon?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Oh my, put "Football" in the thread title!!!!! I was worried Grayson or Giles or someone else had gotten hurt. Not that I don't feel for the football players but they have a much bigger roster and they do tend to get injured at higher rate because...well because it's football.

This time, yes I completely agree that the title ought to include at the least "FB."

I know I was making fun of someone asking for clarification in thread titles less than a week ago, but come on people.

Richard Berg
09-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Every Thursday morning during football season, someone starts an injury report thread. Literally every week, for years. I don't see the ambiguity.

Scorp4me
09-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Oh my, put "Football" in the thread title!!!!! I was worried Grayson or Giles or someone else had gotten hurt. Not that I don't feel for the football players but they have a much bigger roster and they do tend to get injured at higher rate because...well because it's football.

Two days before the next football game...really...smh :confused:

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Coach David Cutcliffe said Thursday that Duncan will be out with an unspecified leg injury but that he hopes the length of time he misses "is shorter than longer."

Duncan ranks eighth in the ACC in rushing, averaging 78.5 yards. Cutcliffe says junior Shaun Wilson will make his third career start and first of the season, with Joseph Ajeigbe (uh-JEE'-bee) backing him up.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-rb-jela-duncan-out-vs-virginia-with-leg-injury/16058568/#frfaidKFuoxijtUb.99

BD80
09-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Oh my, put "Football" in the thread title!!!!! ...

I concur

budwom
09-29-2016, 04:02 PM
I suspect we'll see Brown...I never expected we'd get thru the season with the rotation of Wilson, Duncan and aGB...though perhaps
Pierre or Boden will really surprise me....

Bob Green
09-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Does Cut burn Brittain Brown's redshirt?

Running back is a position where it is commonplace for true freshmen to play so I will not be surprised if we see #22 Brittain Brown play this Saturday.

I don't know who the third team Mike LB is (Duke only releases its two-deep chart and Bere was behind Humphreys). Brandon Hill? Xander Gagnon?

Losing Bere is a blow to depth at linebacker so we might see another redshirt burned.

duke79
09-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Duke Football Injury Report
Duke vs. Virginia
September 29, 2016

QUESTIONABLE
WR Keyston Fuller (leg)

OUT
RB Jela Duncan (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON
LB Tinashe Bere (leg)
S DeVon Edwards (leg)
S Javon Jackson (foot)
DT Zach Morris (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

Thanks for the update and this is definitely "UGH". Not a good report. But football is a brutal sport. I'm surprised we don't see more serious injuries.

AustinDevil
09-29-2016, 04:52 PM
I concur

I beg to differ. And frankly, the entire name of this site should be considered for an update, as this (wonderful) site routinely and prominently covers Duke football, ACC football, and college football generally--one of the most prominent stories on the DBR homepage at the moment, "How to Ruin a Conference Without Really Trying," is about the hilarity of the Big XII's schizophrenic approach to expansion, and Kansas basketball is not mentioned once in that piece.

None of those articles come with a trigger warning for y'all who want to ignore Duke football.

elvis14
09-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Every Thursday morning during football season, someone starts an injury report thread. Literally every week, for years. I don't see the ambiguity.

Two days before the next football game...really...smh :confused:

I know guys, maybe it was just me. Been reading a lot about the upcoming basketball season so it's been on my mind so when I first saw the title I reacted.

devildeac
09-29-2016, 05:03 PM
I know guys, maybe it was just me. Been reading a lot about the upcoming basketball season so it's been on my mind so when I first saw the title I reacted.

I actually Assumed that you had turned your sarcasm meter off and were funning with some of our other posters who wanted more precise thread titles :o :rolleyes: ;) .

(hope I used enough emojis to convey my amusement with this sensitive subject)

Newton_14
09-29-2016, 10:51 PM
I actually ASSumed that you had turned your sarcasm meter off and were funning with some of our other posters who wanted more precise thread titles :o :rolleyes: ;) .

(hope I used enough emojis to convey my amusement with this sensitive subject)

I edited the title just to put it to rest. When I saw the thread this morning and the author, I never gave it a second thought, but then again I follow the Football team and to be honest, were it basketball related the word "report" would not have been in the title.

But all good. Its changed.

devildeac
09-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Yikes. Anybody have more info on any of the new injuries?

Raleigh News and Observer reported this AM that Bere underwent season-ending surgery yesterday to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee. Tough sport. Heal and rehab quickly, young man.

devildeac
09-30-2016, 07:10 AM
I edited the title just to put it to rest. When I saw the thread this morning and the author, I never gave it a second thought, but then again I follow the Football team and to be honest, were it basketball related the word "report" would not have been in the title.

But all good. Its changed.

Thank you, sir. I will sleep well tonight and I hope you will, too, so we can have some lively banner tomorrow at WW during the game.

fidel
09-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Thank you, sir. I will sleep well tonight and I hope you will, too, so we can have some lively banner tomorrow at WW during the football game.

FIFY

camion
09-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Wait, what?

FB doesn't mean FaceBook?? :confused:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2016, 08:48 AM
FIFY

What? I assumed the open basketball practice taking place tomorrow was at WW and that Duke "FB" had a bye week. Let's all please be more careful with our descriptions!

(Kidding, I hope obviously)

OldPhiKap
09-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Wait, what?

FB doesn't mean FaceBook?? :confused:

Exactly. Please put "Duke Men's College Football" or don't put anything at all.

Richard Berg
09-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Exactly. Please put "Duke Men's College Football" or don't put anything at all.
In the interest of factual accuracy, I suggest "Hand-Egg".

Might still confuse Duquesne fans, though.

Troublemaker
09-30-2016, 11:45 AM

True, I wouldn't have had trouble figuring it out, either. But, if we're going to speak to tradition, it's been standard operating procedure for years now to tag threads as "FB," "MBB," "WBB," "LAX," etc. I figure we've been doing it because it helps at least some people experience the boards better.

Let's just say it should be no big deal in either direction. If someone forgets to tag, they don't deserve to be yelled at. And if someone who finds the tags useful gives a friendly reminder to tag, they don't deserve snark shoved in their face.