PDA

View Full Version : Open basketball practice

jimsumner
09-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Before Duke-UVA football

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211190642&DB_OEM_ID=4200

flyingdutchdevil
09-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Before Duke-UVA football

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211190642&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Thanks Jim. I assume no live streaming?

Troublemaker
09-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks Jim. I assume no live streaming?

GoDuke's live events schedule still doesn't list the open practice: http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I would bet on NO live-stream at this point.

For people attending in person, a detailed report will get you massive sporks. Thanks in advance for us out-of-towners.

Newton_14
09-27-2016, 05:01 PM
GoDuke's live events schedule still doesn't list the open practice: http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I would bet on NO live-stream at this point.

For people attending in person, a detailed report will get you massive sporks. Thanks in advance for us out-of-towners.

I will be going and taking notes. Will have a write up when I get home from the Football game later in the afternoon.

DukeFanSince1990
09-27-2016, 06:46 PM
I just decided I will take my boys as a surprise. If anyone else is going, I will be the guy in the blue shirt.

Indoor66
09-27-2016, 07:47 PM
I just decided I will take my boys as a surprise. If anyone else is going, I will be the guy in the blue shirt.

Oh, so that's you! 😁😈😎

Spanarkel
09-28-2016, 07:43 AM
I will be going and taking notes. Will have a write up when I get home from the Football game later in the afternoon.

Thank you! Can't wait to hear about the team.

Skitzle
09-29-2016, 08:42 AM
I won't be able to attend the event, but I can summarize some points:

1) Health is key
2) Something Something Nick Horvath
3) Patrick Davidson
4) Pocius going to see a lot of playing time. Is this his year?

Hows that for a quick summary? Anything I missed?

MChambers
09-29-2016, 09:09 AM

1) Health is key
3) Patrick Davidson

So as the saying sometimes attributed to Mark Twain goes, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Likely one of Vrank, White, and DeLaurier will go off, and folks will start worrying about whether they'll be one and done.

budwom
09-29-2016, 09:13 AM
So as the saying sometimes attributed to Mark Twain goes, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Likely one of Vrank, White, and DeLaurier will go off, and folks will start worrying about whether they'll be one and done.

I fondly recall the Blue White game in which Josh Hairston scored 23 points and was, to the best of my crappy recollection, the leading scorer.
(It may have had something to do with the fact he was on Kyrie's team, and he spent the entire evening three feet from the basket
catching passes from Kyrie who penetrated completely at will.)

BLPOG
09-29-2016, 09:57 AM

1) Health is key
3) Patrick Davidson

DeMarcus needs to work on his free throws?

MChambers
09-29-2016, 10:25 AM
I fondly recall the Blue White game in which Josh Hairston scored 23 points and was, to the best of my crappy recollection, the leading scorer.
(It may have had something to do with the fact he was on Kyrie's team, and he spent the entire evening three feet from the basket
catching passes from Kyrie who penetrated completely at will.)

And I think Zoubek had a big Blue White game his freshman year.

Wahoo2000
09-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Teams are allowed to have practices this early? Can one of you guys shed some light on this? I thought there was an NCAA rule that there were no organized team practices prior to the official start of practice, which I think is usually around Oct 15th.

Jaymf7
09-29-2016, 11:15 AM
And I think Zoubek had a big Blue White game his freshman year.

He had a great showing matched up against McBobs, which was a fairly accurate harbinger for the season (but speaking more to McBobs than Zoubs). Recall also that injuries delayed his development into a legit contributor.

Edouble
09-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Teams are allowed to have practices this early? Can one of you guys shed some light on this? I thought there was an NCAA rule that there were no organized team practices prior to the official start of practice, which I think is usually around Oct 15th.

You're close... the official start of practice used to be midnight on the Friday closest to October 15th/the second weekend in October.

But, in 2013 the date was pushed back two weeks. Teams are allowed a maximum of 30 days of practice over the now six week preseason period.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-29-2016, 11:17 AM

1) Health is key
3) Patrick Davidson

You forgot "wow, we might go ten deep this year."

Ichabod Drain
09-29-2016, 11:17 AM

In 2013 the rule changed that practice could start 42 days before the official start of the season. Used to be 30 I think. I believe this year practice can officially start tomorrow.

ETA: Edouble post game too strong.

NSDukeFan
09-29-2016, 11:24 AM
You forgot "wow, we might go ten deep this year."

This has to be the year doesn't it? I keep waiting.

Wahoo2000
09-29-2016, 11:36 AM
You're close... the official start of practice used to be midnight on the Friday closest to October 15th/the second weekend in October.

But, in 2013 the date was pushed back two weeks. Teams are allowed a maximum of 30 days of practice over the now six week preseason period.

Ah - good info. Thanks! I wonder if other teams will have an open practice this early. Seems as though most are waiting for that old mid-October date. We have our own "blue-white" game on Sunday Oct 23rd, but no open practices I'm aware of so far.

budwom
09-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Ah - good info. Thanks! I wonder if other teams will have an open practice this early. Seems as though most are waiting for that old mid-October date. We have our own "blue-white" game on Sunday Oct 23rd, but no open practices I'm aware of so far.

I personally don't want to miss the annual Hoola Hoop With Roy festivities down the road.

Indoor66
09-29-2016, 12:36 PM
I personally don't want to miss the annual Hoola Hoop With Roy festivities down the road.

Will he be a banana this year?

richardjackson199
09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Will he be a banana this year?

Maybe Roy will be a magician who makes NCAA allegations disappear.

http://raftersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/latenight_roy.jpg

BullBlue
10-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Most of the team already on the floor getting loose. Cheers for Jefferson and Jones when they walked in.

jcannon
10-01-2016, 09:13 AM
No Grayson Allen or Harry Giles at the beginning of practice.

BullBlue
10-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Grayson and Harry not practicing today.

NSDukeFan
10-01-2016, 09:20 AM

As long as it isn't any of the key guys. :)

BullBlue
10-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Harry Giles just walked in. Looks like a compresson brace on left knee. Took a seat next to Nolan Smith on bench.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Harry Giles just walked in. Looks like a compresson brace on left knee. Took a seat next to Nolan Smith on bench.

Dude, it is October 1st and this is already stressing me out... gonna be a long time til games start!

weezie
10-01-2016, 09:48 AM
we need chat room! :)

stingy
10-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Is it close to full? Trying to decide whether to drive over from Carrboro. Thanks!

arnie
10-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Is it close to full? Trying to decide whether to drive over from Carrboro. Thanks!

Not full. Tatum, Bolden and Jackson the real deal. White and Jeter not so much.

kcduke75
10-01-2016, 10:30 AM

Obi out also

DukeFanSince1990
10-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Bolden is a presence inside.

dukelifer
10-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Not full. Tatum, Bolden and Jackson the real deal. White and Jeter not so much.

Bolden is very good. Hard not to see him getting minutes. Not impressed with the long range shooting - streaky at best. Kennard looks like he is ready to be a leader. Jackson plays with a ton of confidence.

DukeFanSince1990
10-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Who would of thought a basketball drill would be so exciting?

GGLC
10-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Any more information about the practice would be greatly appreciated!

arnie
10-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Any more information about the practice would be greatly appreciated!

Harry Giles' posture sitting in the sideline chair is excellent.

Merlindevildog91
10-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Hard to tell much from one practice but I think I can safely say the only freshman who had a worse day than Jack White today was Daniel Jones.

No Obi, Giles or Grayson. Coach said Giles and Grayson were taking treatment, but didn't say on what, and Grayson didn't have any obvious braces, tape, etc., at least that I could see.

The practice started out with exercises and stretches, then some drills, and then basically a five on five, followed by a "4:15" drill (they put 4:15 on the clock and they had to score 120 buckets in that time while going full speed, three guys at a time in each direction, shooting one layup and two jump shots. Besser made the last one at the buzzer). There were a lot of interchanging of white shirts and blue shirts, and I didn't take any notes of who started with a white shirt. Justin, Javin (I think), Vrank, and Jack White never did wear the white shirt, but I think all the others did, and I believe Tatum never wore the blue shirt. The walk ons did not play. They, Obi, and whichever blue shirt was rotated off walked from one end of the court to the other as the action progressed. The clock was on, but seemed to be irrelevant. The shot clock was apparently in play; it never went off but once the coaches yelled "FOUR!" when there were four seconds on it, and a shot went up.

I thought Jeter looked improved over last year. He worked very hard at bodying up on Bolden, with some success. He certainly got inside Bolden's head a time or two. I thought Bolden had a little trouble with people bodying him up, almost like he wasn't expecting physical play.

Tatum can flat-out play. His shot is sweet, and he can put it up in a hurry.

We need ball handling. I hope Grayson has worked on his skills. Frank picked Luke's pocket a few times, and generally appeared to be the best PG of what was available.

Matt was the same old Matt, but with less plays that make you cheer for him and more that make you face palm. He still has the same glacially-slow almost set shot.

Javin has lots of energy and athleticism. If he can figure out what to do with it he will be something in later years, but it wouldn't surprise me if he redshirts.

Amile looks like leadership suits him. He is definitely bigger than last year. His new mid range shot was nowhere in evidence today.

Going to C2C. If I think of it I will take a notebook and jot things down.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Stopped in. Wasn't much to it. Not more than a shoot around. Still good to see all those lithe and athletic bodies ready to get it one!!!
L>ove,Ima
Love,Ima

sagegrouse
10-01-2016, 07:54 PM
In 2013 the rule changed that practice could start 42 days before the official start of the season. Used to be 30 I think. I believe this year practice can officially start tomorrow.

ETA: Edouble post game too strong.

Yes, but as was said above, the total number of practices remains about the same -- teams can start earlier but can't practice every day. Actually, sounds sensible to me, so it hard to believe it happened.

weezie
10-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Harry Giles' posture sitting in the sideline chair is excellent.

Posture is very important. I'm pleased!

jcastranio
10-01-2016, 09:47 PM
While the crowd cheered all the cool baskets (and the three dives on the floor), the coaches seemed totally focused on defense. All the drills seemed to emphasize defense (the practice was almost 40 minutes deep before anyone even took a shot.).

Amile, Matt, and Luke seemed very relaxed and confident about where to be and what to do. Justin and Chase seemed confident (Chase seems a little bigger and stronger), but still were out of position or had poor positioning on defense at times. Chase took an ill-advised left-handed hook shot early, was chastised by K in front of everyone (K imitated Chase and took a purposely horrible left handed hook shot with a questioning look), and had to change out of the white jersey right then and there. The next two times he got the ball in a similar position, he faked and powered the ball in from the right side. No left-handed hooks. I guess message received.

Speaking of Jeter and Bolden - that was a battle royale the whole practice. A lot of competition for that spot. Bolden has the size and the strength. Post moves are not smooth or polished yet. Defensive positioning and pick and roll defense/offense will take some work. He is going to be good, but he seems to have much to learn on man to man defense.

Jackson looks solid. Tatum can't be a freshman. Very smooth - not timid in the least in finding and taking his shot. NOT. TIMID. Also needs work on defensive positioning and help defense.

Javin is strong - needs to work on defensive positioning.

Gee - does it sound like there is a theme here?

I like Jack. It will take a couple of years to fully see his value - he'll be a crowd favorite at some point.

Team defense has a lot to learn - the potential is there. Great talent.

stillcrazie
10-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Does anyone have any more information about Grayson's injury? The comment in the top linked article stating that Duke officials wanted to keep him fresh seemed odd to me. I hope that he is okay.

Ichabod Drain
10-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Does anyone have any more information about Grayson's injury? The comment in the top linked article stating that Duke officials wanted to keep him fresh seemed odd to me. I hope that he is okay.

It's over

JasonEvans
10-02-2016, 12:40 PM
It's over

I have it on good authority that Grayson will not be able to participate in any games that matter for more than a month. I cannot say more but you should not expect to see him suiting up in a game that counts until the 2nd week of November, at the earliest.

-Jason " ;) " Evans

Troublemaker
10-02-2016, 01:04 PM

My "more information" is just that Grayson was completely absent from the two-minute highlight video from the first official practice of the season: https://twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/782018041219612672

The open practice which he missed was the second practice. If there's some sort of resting scheme for Grayson, I doubt it involves missing the first two official practices of the season.

Thus, Grayson is likely nursing some minor injury right now. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless he also misses CTC in three weeks.

BD80
10-02-2016, 01:27 PM
I have it on good authority that Grayson will not be able to participate in any games that matter for more than a month. I cannot say more but you should not expect to see him suiting up in a game that counts until the 2nd week of November, at the earliest.

-Jason " ;) " Evans

So you're saying practice doesn't matter?

You should have used: "Jason 'Allen Iverson' Evans" as your signature.

richardjackson199
10-02-2016, 02:18 PM

-Jason " ;) " Evans

Thanks for the update. So possibly back by Nov 15 vs. Kansas in the Champions Classic at MSG. That would be the first game where I expect we would really need him.

This is not good news, but better to deal with this stuff now than in the spring.

Newton_14
10-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Sorry for the delay and apologies if any of this is repetitive. Despite the fact Grayson and Giles were held out, it is always a great pleasure to watch a Coach K led practice. Overall, I came away super impressed at the level of talent on this years squad. In terms of pure talent it rivals the 1998 team. So, a lot to be excited about.

It is crystal clear to me that his is Amile's team moreso than anyone else. He's vocal, he's animated, and oh by the way, I thought he looked as good out there as he ever had. He looked very decisive, and smooth. In an early halfcourt practice set with 5 on 5, he received a pass in the high post area on the right side, drove the lane and threw down a monster one hand dunk against his man. Beautiful play and finish. Amile looks very locked in and ready to me on both sides of the ball and in leading this team.

My next biggest impression was with Bolden. Much like my first impression with Winslow two years ago, Bolden is a grown man. We have a true center. I think he starts from day 1, especially with the unknowns of when Giles will be truly ready. He has some learning to do with regards to where to be on the floor at various times and Coach K gave him instruction on that several times yesterday, but he is very quick when it comes to rising to block shots. A couple of times yesterday he blocked shots I thought he had no chance to get to. Offensively I thought he moved his feet very well, posts up strongly, and finishes very well, be it dunking in traffic or when he has to use the glass. He also looks to be a very good screener. I was just super impressed with him.

Tatum- Very talented kid, and good shooter. My only hesitation with him is he definitely has a shoot first mentality 100% of the time. Were there not so much talent around him, he would definitely be the go to guy period. So part of me worries about him sharing the ball and accepting that there are several more guys on this team that can score, and part of me thinks back to last year and us not having problems with Grayson and Ingram each getting their own. Tatum is uber talented on the offensive side though. He showed a very strong pull up jumper from deep. He took on step back contested 3 yesterday that I thought was a terrible shot and it splashed the nets. If he can find away to be himself without dominating the ball, and also take pride in an assist, things will be just fine. That's one reason I hate Grayson and Giles could not go as I would have loved to see how they meshed together.

Jackson did not have any wow moments but he looks like a guy that is ready to contribute. I was especially impressed with his on ball defense. He moves his feet well and is strong. Speaking of defense, in both of the sessions where there was some semblance of full court scrimmaging, it was pressure man to man the full 90 feet. No soft sagging defense for these guys. It was in your face ball hawking and overplay on the passing lanes. With the two stars out, one interesting line up I noticed defensively was Matt, Jackson, Tatum, Amile, and Bolden. Lots of length, good quickness and the shotblocking anchor at the rim. I will go out on a limb and predict this year's team is more likely to be a good defensive team than a mediocri or bad defenseive team. Fingers crossed!

It was all PG by committee obviously but I did not feel not having a natural PG out of there was a glaring weakness or anything. This groups looks talented enough to work around that in my humble opinion. On a humorous note, in one short stint, Amile ran the point for the blue team. That was funny. Another fun moment was Matt shooting an airball from 3 and K stops play and gets on him very lightly, and Amile was laughing at Matt. On the last of the humor points, Chase posted up and took a very bad left hand jumphook after spinning to the middle, and it drew nothing... except for well, a quick whistle and berating by K. Man he got ripped for that. K even reenacted the shot. Poor Chase. Other than that Chase had a pretty solid day. Some very nice post moves and finishes.

Another white team lineup K went with during one of the scrimmages was Kennard, Jackson, Tatum, Amile, Chase. That would be a pretty darn good starting line ups for most teams, yet for us it meant that Grayson, Giles, Matt, and Bolden would be on the bench waiting as subs. And with that, those are your 9 rotation guys in my humble opinion. If you told me right now that everyone was 100% healthy, and asked me who the 9th man would be, I would say Chase. Not because he is not talented or not playing well either. It's just that much talent in front of him at the 4 and 5 spots.

I did not get a good feel for Delaurier yet. I need to see him more, but I would put him as the 10th guy. I was not impressed by Jack White. He doesn't look as talented to me as Olek and Marty were, nor Melchionni for that matter. Obi still has the terrible knees it looks like. I don't think we will see any of these 3 guys at all except during mop up duty if that.

So those are my thoughts. Can't wait to see them at CTC and then have the season start. It is going to be fun.

Troublemaker
10-02-2016, 02:57 PM
It is crystal clear to me that his is Amile's team moreso than anyone else. He's vocal, he's animated, and oh by the way, I thought he looked as good out there as he ever had. He looked very decisive, and smooth. In an early halfcourt practice set with 5 on 5, he received a pass in the high post area on the right side, drove the lane and threw down a monster one hand dunk against his man. Beautiful play and finish. Amile looks very locked in and ready to me on both sides of the ball and in leading this team.

Many thanks for the detailed report, Newton! Here's a clip of the Amile dunk you referenced: https://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/782313738288394241

My next biggest impression was with Bolden. Much like my first impression with Winslow two years ago, Bolden is a grown man. We have a true center. I think he starts from day 1, especially with the unknowns of when Giles will be truly ready. He has some learning to do with regards to where to be on the floor at various times and Coach K gave him instruction on that several times yesterday, but he is very quick when it comes to rising to block shots. A couple of times yesterday he blocked shots I thought he had no chance to get to. Offensively I thought he moved his feet very well, posts up strongly, and finishes very well, be it dunking in traffic or when he has to use the glass. He also looks to be a very good screener. I was just super impressed with him.

Very happy to hear all the raves about Bolden here and in other reports elsewhere. It's only one practice, but he could be a surprise. Meaning, I knew he'd be good but he might be a VERY good center for Duke this season and playing > 20mpg.

Troublemaker
10-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the update. So possibly back by Nov 15 vs. Kansas in the Champions Classic at MSG. That would be the first game where I expect we would really need him.

This is not good news, but better to deal with this stuff now than in the spring.

Jason was joking around and merely referencing that Nov 11th is Duke's first regular season game.

Reilly
10-02-2016, 03:01 PM
... Matt was the same old Matt, but with less plays that make you cheer for him and more that make you face palm. He still has the same glacially-slow almost set shot ...

Only saw the drills/FT/press-break portion, not the scrimmage. Matt looked grown up: has lost the pudginess ... seemed lean(er).

Amile and Matt seemed like/acted like the leaders they are and will be.

Annoying tic: Luke messes with his hair every break in the action, pushing it forward. For a young male, losing hair can be on the mind at all times and affect confidence and outlook. I wish he'd get a buzz cut, free his mind/worry.

JasonEvans
10-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Jason was joking around and merely referencing that Nov 11th is Duke's first regular season game.

Yeah, sorry if I fooled anyone...

... well, I'm not too sorry. I think it is kinda funny that folks bought my 100% true statement about when Grayson would next play in a meaningful game.

NSDukeFan
10-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Yeah, sorry if I fooled anyone...

... well, I'm not too sorry. I think it is kinda funny that folks bought my 100% true statement about when Grayson would next play in a meaningful game.

He literally won't play any meaningful games until part way through November.

Newton_14
10-02-2016, 09:12 PM
He literally won't play any meaningful games until part way through November.

Grayson looked to me at point as though he was rubbing his hamstring a bit before he walked over with Jose and got on the bike. So it doesn't appear to be anything serious like knee, ankle, or foot issue. I don't feel it's anything worth losing sleep over. Whatever it is, I expect the medical staff is treating it with kids gloves to ensure it doesn't become a long term issue.

The real angst should be about Giles knee and how soon before he can be cleared for practices and games. Unlike Grayson, Giles is a Freshman who has not been through numerous practices and real college games. He is losing valuable experiences day by day at this point.

BD80
10-02-2016, 09:20 PM
... The real angst should be about Giles knee and how soon before he can be cleared for practices and games. ...

Angst = Vigil?

Newton_14
10-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Angst = Vigil?
Only if he is held out of CTC :)

Mrezt
10-03-2016, 12:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Y9RFDO_KI

BD80
10-03-2016, 08:33 AM
... The real angst should be about Giles knee and how soon before he can be cleared for practices and games. ...

Did Harry participate in any off-season pick-up games?

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Okay, after reading all of these posts, I come away with the following:

-Grayson is nursing a (likely minor) injury
-Giles is not participating in contact yet. This comes as no surprise as the Duke staff is being veeeeeerry cautionary towards his comeback
-Bolden is crushing it in practice
-Amile is crushing it in practice
-Matt slimmed down but still has the slowest release in basketball
-Tatum is talented offensively but doesn't share the ball well (these Kobe analogies are pretty accurate!)
-Jackson is talented and likes to play defense
-Everyone not named Amile or Matt isn't great on D
-Team D sucks right now but likely to get a lot better

Kedsy
10-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks. Why was Frank Jackson wearing #5 (as well as Luke Kennard wearing it)?

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 11:18 AM

Cost cutting. University tuition isn't high enough...

BD80
10-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Coach K has been consulting with Bill Belichek

MChambers
10-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Coach K has been consulting with Bill Belichek

Very deflating to hear that.

jimsumner
10-03-2016, 12:07 PM

Duke is going to platoon them this season. Kennard will start against right-handers, Jackson against lefties.

So, they won't be playing at the same time.

Troublemaker
10-03-2016, 12:57 PM
-Everyone not named Amile or Matt isn't great on D
-Team D sucks right now but likely to get a lot better

That's not the impression I'm getting from what I've read. I think people are saying the emphasis of this open practice was defense and perfecting positioning on defense, but that doesn't mean that the defense stunk or is behind the offense.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2016, 01:10 PM
That's not the impression I'm getting from what I've read. I think people are saying the emphasis of this open practice was defense and perfecting positioning on defense, but that doesn't mean that the defense stunk or is behind the offense.

I think it's pretty indicative that the focus on defense means the defense lags behind the offense (and it's a pretty safe assumption given that Coach K hasn't had a team with better defense than offense in the OAD era).

Also, perfect positioning on D is one of the most important elements of team D. I would argue that a lot of missed positioning (aside from Matt and Amile) means that this team has a lot to learn on positioning.

I'm not worried nor do I really think it's a big deal. I'm expecting this team to score easily and really struggle on defense early. It's a new team with 3 upperclassmen, 2 sophomores not known for defense at all, and a bunch of freshman. It'll take plenty of time for this team to gel on defense.

Troublemaker
10-03-2016, 01:36 PM
I think it's pretty indicative that the focus on defense means the defense lags behind the offense (and it's a pretty safe assumption given that Coach K hasn't had a team with better defense than offense in the OAD era).

No, it could just mean that in the second official practice of the season, they wanted to focus on defensive positioning. Also, I've heard that the offense was pretty sloppy.

But I agree, no big deal either way.

Newton_14
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM

Jackson is wearing #15.......

Spanarkel
10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Jack White was wearing no. 41 at first practice on 9/30, then both no. 41 and no. 4(not simultaneously) at Saturday's open practice. I'm confused.

mattman91
10-03-2016, 02:21 PM

Tons of Toxic Masculinity in that video.

Kedsy
10-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Jackson is wearing #15....

He's supposed to be wearing #15. In the video, he's clearly wearing #5 (as is Luke).

sagegrouse
10-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Jack White was wearing no. 41 at first practice on 9/30, then both no. 41 and no. 4(not simultaneously) at Saturday's open practice. I'm confused.

He's supposed to be wearing #15. In the video, he's clearly wearing #5 (as is Luke).

Just reading the posts, weren't the players switching jerseys from "blue" to "white" every few minutes? Maybe these were scrimmage jerseys.

Spanarkel
10-03-2016, 02:34 PM
Just reading the posts, weren't the players switching jerseys from "blue" to "white" every few minutes? Maybe these were scrimmage jerseys.

Excellent thought, but at least for Jack White, he(according to Merlindevildog91's post)never wore a white jersey at the open practice.

jcastranio
10-03-2016, 09:05 PM
I apologize if I seemed overly pessimistic. I was merely trying to point out that key elements to our defensive success (Bolden, Jeter, Tatum, Javin) were constantly being corrected on positioning and awareness. This is a good thing and the potential is there. But they will need the coaching and the reps.

tfk53
10-03-2016, 10:20 PM
I would have been very surprised if the 2nd practice went by without frequent interruptions. Remember, they are learning sessions. Coach K also interrupts things at times when things go well. I certainly could not hear him from where I was at in the stands to know what he was saying. Am not a good lip reader.

I was impressed with the overall intensity, especially the battles that Bolden and Jeter put on.

For those who would like to see a practice up close and support a super cause, I'll put a plug in for the session the Emily K Foundation is doing on Oct 15 - another Saturday AM. For a moderate sum, you support the foundation, watch a practice up close, and then have a lunch with Coach giving a talk afterwards. Check it out.

I did this in 2014 (posted my pxs on DBR) and found it to be superb experience. I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately, for the 2nd year in a row, I am working on the Saturday AM they are doing it. Bummer for me...

Newton_14
10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I apologize if I seemed overly pessimistic. I was merely trying to point out that key elements to our defensive success (Bolden, Jeter, Tatum, Javin) were constantly being corrected on positioning and awareness. This is a good thing and the potential is there. But they will need the coaching and the reps.

All good! Your post was fine. I think both sides are right as of right now and I am sure that makes no sense at all, but yes, K focused a lot on defense in this practice, much to my delight. He stated in his opening remarks that defense would be the key focus. He and Capel gave a lot of one on one instruction during the halfcourt defensive drills. One drill they did was an old drill that we ran in High School in the 80's. Our coach called it the "Shell drill". You put 4 guys on the perimeter that pass the ball around the horn, and you put 4 defenders on them, and work on where to be based on where your man and the ball is. The assitants and managers were on the perimeter. They then put players on the perimeter to make passes and attempt to score. Very controlled and the coaches would stop and instruct often.

So yes, probably much more instruction and training to do on the defensive side with the rooks, but at the same time, the ball pressure and wing denial looked pretty good, and again, just my opinion, they have defensive potential. Bolden, and Giles will have the biggest learning curve with positioning & help assignments, obviously, being they are bigs. Amile can now do this in his sleep, and Chase has a year under his belt so those two will naturally be ahead of Bolden and Giles on defense. With Giles hurt, Bolden will be with the two vets early on. I like his shotblocking ability already though...

Lots of instruction needed but lots of potential to be good on that end in my opinion.

Edouble
10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I would have been very surprised if the 2nd practice went by without frequent interruptions. Remember, they are learning sessions. Coach K also interrupts things at times when things go well. I certainly could not hear him from where I was at in the stands to know what he was saying. Am not a good lip reader.

I was impressed with the overall intensity, especially the battles that Bolden and Jeter put on.

For those who would like to see a practice up close and support a super cause, I'll put a plug in for the session the Emily K Foundation is doing on Oct 15 - another Saturday AM. For a moderate sum, you support the foundation, watch a practice up close, and then have a lunch with Coach giving a talk afterwards. Check it out.

I did this in 2014 (posted my pxs on DBR) and found it to be superb experience. I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately, for the 2nd year in a row, I am working on the Saturday AM they are doing it. Bummer for me...

Sounds wonderful. I can't find anything on Google about this event. Would you care to point a Blue Devil in the right direction?

Newton_14
10-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Sounds wonderful. I can't find anything on Google about this event. Would you care to point a Blue Devil in the right direction?
What he said! Do Tell!

And how many hundreds or thousands of dollars does this session cost??

Troublemaker
10-04-2016, 12:31 AM

Thanks for posting that video!

One thing that caught my eye is that at 1:40, Bolden executed a hard hedge, something we haven't really seen at Duke the past two seasons. In 2015, Duke would've iced Kennard on that side ball screen. And last season, we would've iced or used a soft hedge.

With the depth of talent on this roster, Duke will be able to hold full practices throughout the season. So, ideally, I'd like to see us become adept at defending ball screens in at least three ways: (1) hard hedge, (2) switch, (3) ice / drop-back. And then from game to game, we just use choose the most appropriate scheme for the opponent.

Anyway, the hard hedge may be back in the Duke defensive arsenal. Early in his career, MP3 showed some chops with his hard hedging but we went away from it when he was an upperclassmen. It would've been interesting to see if he would've developed into an amazing hedger had Duke continued to use it the past two seasons.

BD80
10-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Thanks for posting that video!

One thing that caught my eye is that at 1:40, Bolden executed a hard hedge, something we haven't really seen at Duke the past two seasons. In 2015, Duke would've iced Kennard on that side ball screen. And last season, we would've iced or used a soft hedge.

With the depth of talent on this roster, Duke will be able to hold full practices throughout the season. So, ideally, I'd like to see us become adept at defending ball screens in at least three ways: (1) hard hedge, (2) switch, (3) ice / drop-back. And then from game to game, we just use choose the most appropriate scheme for the opponent.

Anyway, the hard hedge may be back in the Duke defensive arsenal. Early in his career, MP3 showed some chops with his hard hedging but we went away from it when he was an upperclassmen. It would've been interesting to see if he would've developed into an amazing hedger had Duke continued to use it the past two seasons.

Hedging is strictly bush league.

According to the Knights Who Say NI!

tfk53
10-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Well, JD beat me to it. He put the event on the front page today. Thanks, JD! And only $250/person.

Their web site is www.emilyk.org

From their mission statement:

OUR MISSION

The Emily K Center, a non-profit organization in Durham, was established in 2006 and named in honor of Coach Mike Krzyzewski’s mother, Emily. Our mission is to inspire students to dream big, act with character and purpose, and reach their potential as leaders in their community.

The Center’s K to College programs develop educated student leaders who achieve in school, gain entry to and graduate from college, and ultimately break the cycle of poverty in their families. In addition, the Center enhances the impact of local organizations by serving as a home and resource for nonprofits, schools, and community groups.

Spanarkel
10-04-2016, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=BD80;914059]Hedging is strictly bush league.

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now..."

Mrduke21
10-04-2016, 09:54 AM

Appears the front of his jersey shows #5 while the back shows #15. They either ran out of number 1's or his fell of the front of his jersey.

BD80
10-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Hedging is strictly bush league.

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now..."

Ohh. So the offensive scheme is properly called a "pick and row?" And that's why you hedge it. Finally an answer to the perennial question.