PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 20, Virginia 34

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 01:43 PM
The Line: Duke is favored by 3.5. So it should be a good, fun game.
Former Player Day and it's Homecoming.
Weather: High 75 and Sunny
Let's fill Wallace Wade Up! This Duke team deserves it. This is a big game, let's get a win and support Duke like we do in Cameron! Continue our momentum.
I hope our team continues the formula of having fun and positive energy. We can help with the energy.

Tom B.
09-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Weather: High 75 and Sunny

Inside the parabolic sun reflector known as Wallace Wade Stadium, that might actually be borderline tolerable. Though a few clouds (no rain, though) wouldn't hurt.

Reilly
09-26-2016, 02:31 PM
There's an open men's hoops practice Saturday morning, too, so a fun day to go from Cameron to Wallace Wade.

Olympic Fan
09-26-2016, 05:46 PM
There's an open men's hoops practice Saturday morning, too, so a fun day to go from Cameron to Wallace Wade.

Open practice is 9:30 to 11:30 am ... no reserved seating ... everything in the upper deck is first-come, first served.

Parking is pretty limited -- I assume most will park in their football spots, then head for the game after the practice.

Reilly
09-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Cut's Duke teams are 6-2 against Virginia.

Only two losses came in C'ville.

Duke 33-34 all-time against Virginia.

BigWayne
09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
FYI for those of us not covered by local stations on the ACC network, the game is supposed to be on the ESPN College Extra package:

http://www.espn.com/espncollegeextra/

For DirecTV, these games come on channels 788-798. They probably won't show up in the channel list until Thursday or Friday.

Avvocato
09-27-2016, 08:18 PM
I feel like we say this every week, but this is a very big game for us. After a huge win like that (vs. ND), there could be a hangover. We beat Notre Dame, because we were well prepared and ready to fight for 60 minutes. It's often hard to get up and play at that level every week. Hopefully we ride the confidence and wave from last Saturday into this weekend. We want to build something after last weekend. Let's put ND out of our mind, focus on Virginia, and handle business this weekend. Getting to 3-2 after our 1-2 start would be huge. Let's take care of business.

loran16
09-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Some Depth Chart changes for Duke this week, along the lines of what Cut said (see Jim Sumner's post in the other thread about Cut's words today).

On Offense: Quay Chambers is listed as a co-Starter along with Jonathan Lloyd at slot receiver. Chambers was a big help in the win over Notre Dame and I suspect he gets a lot more burn in this one as well.
On Defense: Alonzo Saxton is listed as Devon Edwards' replacement (as he was in the ND game), with True Frosh Dylan Singleton listed as the backup (Rover Safety). Although apparently Cut said that Jordan Hayes, who's listed as the backup at (Bandit) Safety behind Deondre Singleton may get split the role with Saxton. Would be exciting to see how well the younger Singleton can do in extended action as one of our best recruits this past class (Singleton has played 55 snaps this year, a third as many as the other two guys).

(Depth Chart can be found in the game notes here: http://www1.nmnathletics.com/fls/4200/web-docs/game-notes/fb/2016/Duke_UVA_100116.pdf?_ga=1.161721724.1761607184.147 2961088)

Okay about Virginia:

Football Study Hall has already started tracking the advanced statistical profiles of every NCAA FBS team this year. The stats do include some weighting of data from prior seasons - it's about 2/3 this year and 1/3 last year now - but they give us a decent picture of what to expect from our opponents. Here's Virginia's profile:
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-virginia-advanced-statistical-profile

Virginia's Offense is slightly above average - 47th in the Nation. Their D however is atrocious 107th in the nation. For comparison, Duke is 79th on Offense and 36th in Defense, so slightly more balanced. Moreover, Notre Dame's Offense was 14th in the Nation and Defense was 78th - so better than UVA in both areas. So figure Virginia very much as having similar strengths to ND, but weaker in both areas.

On Offense: Virginia is solid but unspectacular on the ground - but they just don't run that often. Like Duke, they rely on two running backs: Senior Albert Reid, averaging 6 Yards per carry and Taquan Mizzell (another senior) averaging 5.3 YPC. These are pretty good numbers - but a large part of that is because Virginia doesn't rush often - On Standard Downs (downs where runs and passes are both seemingly plausible options like 1st down, 2nd and 7, or 3rd and 4), Virginia rushes only 39.6% of the time. By Comparison, Duke rushes 50.3% of the time on the same downs and the National average is 59.6%. We can't look past the running game (again, the numbers are good) but it's not their main attack.

Passing wise, UVA's QB is Kurt Benkert, a junior transfer from ECU. This is his first game vs Duke, so we've never seen him before. On one hand, he's solidly accurate - a 60.8% completion rate - and has ten TDs to 5 Interceptions. On the other hand, he tends to throw short - only 6.1 Yards Per Attempt. For Comparison, Daniel Jones is better at throwing longer and at a higher % rate, although he doesn't have the touchdowns. So Benkert is a solid but unspectacular QB. Note, he's a pocket passer - only 11 rushes all year, so don't expect designed run plays for him.

UVA throws to four guys primarily - Senior Keeon Johnson gets the most targets but isn't great at catching (but he's a big 6'3), sophomore Olamide Zacchaus is 2nd in targets but is HIGHLY efficient - catching 22 of 27 targets for 13.6 Yards per catch is pretty damn good. Then there's Junior Doni Dowling, who's got the most yards per catch, but is in between the other two guys in terms of catching. The last receiver used is actually the senior running back Mizzell, who seems to be a strong pass catcher - I'm guessing there are a lot of screens or check downs here.

I suspect we'll put Breon on Johnson and Fields on Zacchaus, although they may switch off, and the Safetys and LBs will cover the other guys.

------
Defensively, again, UVA isn't good. They have 10 sacks and actually have been solid at defending the run the last two weeks after struggling vs Richmond (lol) and Oregon (Understandable). But they've allowed a LOT of big plays and aren't good at stopping even just the little plays needed to move the chains.

Despite the Sacks, UVA has been terrible against the pass this year, allowing a TON of big plays and plenty of completions. Daniel Jones should have opportunities.

Again, Duke should be able to play the same type of game they did against ND - high scoring while the D makes timely plays, and should find more success. The only edge UVA has on ND is that they can actually get to the QB, which might rush Jones a bit more, but given their bad pass defense numbers, I suspect their covering capabilities of our WRs will leave a lot to be desired, giving Jones plenty of options even if rushed.

richardjackson199
09-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Some Depth Chart changes for Duke this week, along the lines of what Cut said (see Jim Sumner's post in the other thread about Cut's words today).

On Offense: Quay Chambers is listed as a co-Starter along with Jonathan Lloyd at slot receiver. Chambers was a big help in the win over Notre Dame and I suspect he gets a lot more burn in this one as well.
On Defense: Alonzo Saxton is listed as Devon Edwards' replacement (as he was in the ND game), with True Frosh Dylan Singleton listed as the backup (Rover Safety). Although apparently Cut said that Jordan Hayes, who's listed as the backup at (Bandit) Safety behind Deondre Singleton may get split the role with Saxton. Would be exciting to see how well the younger Singleton can do in extended action as one of our best recruits this past class (Singleton has played 55 snaps this year, a third as many as the other two guys).

(Depth Chart can be found in the game notes here: http://www1.nmnathletics.com/fls/4200/web-docs/game-notes/fb/2016/Duke_UVA_100116.pdf?_ga=1.161721724.1761607184.147 2961088)

Okay about Virginia:

Football Study Hall has already started tracking the advanced statistical profiles of every NCAA FBS team this year. The stats do include some weighting of data from prior seasons - it's about 2/3 this year and 1/3 last year now - but they give us a decent picture of what to expect from our opponents. Here's Virginia's profile:
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-virginia-advanced-statistical-profile

Virginia's Offense is slightly above average - 47th in the Nation. Their D however is atrocious 107th in the nation. For comparison, Duke is 79th on Offense and 36th in Defense, so slightly more balanced. Moreover, Notre Dame's Offense was 14th in the Nation and Defense was 78th - so better than UVA in both areas. So figure Virginia very much as having similar strengths to ND, but weaker in both areas.

On Offense: Virginia is solid but unspectacular on the ground - but they just don't run that often. Like Duke, they rely on two running backs: Senior Albert Reid, averaging 6 Yards per carry and Taquan Mizzell (another senior) averaging 5.3 YPC. These are pretty good numbers - but a large part of that is because Virginia doesn't rush often - On Standard Downs (downs where runs and passes are both seemingly plausible options like 1st down, 2nd and 7, or 3rd and 4), Virginia rushes only 39.6% of the time. By Comparison, Duke rushes 50.3% of the time on the same downs and the National average is 59.6%. We can't look past the running game (again, the numbers are good) but it's not their main attack.

Passing wise, UVA's QB is Kurt Benkert, a junior transfer from ECU. This is his first game vs Duke, so we've never seen him before. On one hand, he's solidly accurate - a 60.8% completion rate - and has ten TDs to 5 Interceptions. On the other hand, he tends to throw short - only 6.1 Yards Per Attempt. For Comparison, Daniel Jones is better at throwing longer and at a higher % rate, although he doesn't have the touchdowns. So Benkert is a solid but unspectacular QB. Note, he's a pocket passer - only 11 rushes all year, so don't expect designed run plays for him.

UVA throws to four guys primarily - Senior Keeon Johnson gets the most targets but isn't great at catching (but he's a big 6'3), sophomore Olamide Zacchaus is 2nd in targets but is HIGHLY efficient - catching 22 of 27 targets for 13.6 Yards per catch is pretty damn good. Then there's Junior Doni Dowling, who's got the most yards per catch, but is in between the other two guys in terms of catching. The last receiver used is actually the senior running back Mizzell, who seems to be a strong pass catcher - I'm guessing there are a lot of screens or check downs here.

I suspect we'll put Breon on Johnson and Fields on Zacchaus, although they may switch off, and the Safetys and LBs will cover the other guys.

------
Defensively, again, UVA isn't good. They have 10 sacks and actually have been solid at defending the run the last two weeks after struggling vs Richmond (lol) and Oregon (Understandable). But they've allowed a LOT of big plays and aren't good at stopping even just the little plays needed to move the chains.

Despite the Sacks, UVA has been terrible against the pass this year, allowing a TON of big plays and plenty of completions. Daniel Jones should have opportunities.

Again, Duke should be able to play the same type of game they did against ND - high scoring while the D makes timely plays, and should find more success. The only edge UVA has on ND is that they can actually get to the QB, which might rush Jones a bit more, but given their bad pass defense numbers, I suspect their covering capabilities of our WRs will leave a lot to be desired, giving Jones plenty of options even if rushed.

Great Breakdown. I just remember "Smoke" Mizzell can be a big play guy - watch out for him. Last year he broke the ACC single-season record for receiving yards by a running back (721). His 75 receptions led the team and rank #2 in ACC history. He can fly - they don't call him Smoke for nothin. Shut him down. This article basically just elaborates:

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92577/taquan-mizzell-brings-intrigue-to-virginias-new-look-offense-in-2016

gep
09-28-2016, 12:52 AM

I thought I read in prior posts that in the ND game, Jones had a relatively quick read and release... 1.5 seconds? If so, VA's pass rush may not be all that effective... plus the bad pass defense.

GO DUKE!!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Big big game. We need to channel our Big MO into a win this weekend and not suffer a "Super Bowl" hangover.

Richard Berg
09-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Duke QB Daniel Jones leads all
freshmen nationally in pass completions
(92), passing yards (1,090) &
total offensive yards (1,190)
Hadn't seen that before. Impressive.

BigWayne
09-28-2016, 04:10 PM
I thought I read in prior posts that in the ND game, Jones had a relatively quick read and release... 1.5 seconds? If so, VA's pass rush may not be all that effective... plus the bad pass defense.

GO DUKE!!!!

I watched the ND game again last night. Was just as good or better the 2nd time.

They did some coverage of the quick passing on the broadcast and I started paying attention as a result. Short passes were at 1.5 seconds like you mention. Longer plays downfield were at 2.5 to 3 seconds. They made a statement that Cutcliffe had told them a QB needs to get rid of the ball in 2.8 seconds.

Wahoo2000
09-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Note to you guys - our coverage vs the pass is absolutely the worst I've ever seen from a Virginia team. Our ONLY hope to stop pass plays comes by pressuring the QB, or just a straight up mistake/inaccurate throw or drop.

Last week, we were rolling central Michigan because they were putting 4 and 5 guys out on patterns consistently, and our pass rush was getting there quickly. CMU's adjustment? They max protected and just ran out 2, occasionally 3 guys on routes. We were only rushing 4, sometimes blitzing and bringing a 5th guy. We couldn't cover 2-3 guys with 6-7 players. Not even close. Their completion percentage on plays where they had 2 receivers and we had 7 guys back in a zone or a zone/man combo was unbelievable.... probably north of 75%. Just extremely slow and horrible zone instincts from the vast majority of DBs and LBs.

We'll only have success vs the pass against teams with QBs that are absolutely terrible with reads/accuracy.... unless the zone issues are due in part to guys still learning the system Mendenhall and staff have installed. We might get a little bit better, but the only way UVA is in this game with Duke is if we score 30+, which I don't really expect. I think the 3.5 number is low based on how our O kind of exploded last week. I'd guess this one ends up somewhere around Duke 34 - UVA 21.

Oh, and as an addendum - we have no FG kicker. Literally nobody on the roster who would be relied on to kick a FG longer than 29 yards. Even inside that range is an adventure, with a missed 20 yard chip shot on the last play vs UConn, and multiple missed XPts. Basically, we'll play like a high school team anywhere outside the 10 and go for it on 4th down.

budwom
09-29-2016, 11:30 AM
uh oh. Duncan out for the game...might we see freshman Brown?

And evidently Bere (LB) is out for the season...bad news...but we do have some good young talent, guys like Quonsah, and perhaps Hill, who can step in. Big loss nonetheless...

Bob Green
09-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Duke will wear blue helmets, blue jerseys and white pants this week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtiZ-rXWIAIcohS.jpg

duke79
09-29-2016, 05:00 PM

Maybe it is just the color of the photo, but shouldn't the "blue" jersey match the "blue" helmet? The jersey looks almost black to me. Otherwise, I like this uniform scheme.

devildeac
09-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Maybe it is just the color of the photo, but shouldn't the "blue" jersey match the "blue" helmet? The jersey looks almost black to me. Otherwise, I like this uniform scheme.

Must be my old eyes, too. That jersey looks mighty black to me with (Jack) white and Pantone 287 stripes and white numbers and other adornments.

Bob Green
09-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Perhaps it is my eyes. I have two pairs of glasses but routinely wear neither. :o

loran16
09-29-2016, 05:26 PM
It's black, blue black white.

devildeac
09-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Weather forecast for kickoff is 76, partly sunny/cloudy and 10% chance of rain with a high of 81 for the day. Bring yer hats and SPF 30 (or 50).

awhom111
09-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Again, here is the information on how to watch:

Station List:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-the-acc-network-virginia-at-duke-10-01-2016

ACC Online Viewing:
http://www.theacc.com/game-center/576c0da4e4b0d80639f54748/

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/2899753.jpg

Here are your options based on your location:

Green:
-On TV on one of the stations on the list linked above
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 789 and Verizon FIOS 822, fewer providers carrying it this year)
-Online through link above
-Online through WatchESPN

Black:
-On TV on one of the stations on the list linked above
-Online through link above

The broadcast of the game on local stations is supposedly available in 115 of the 210 television market in the country, covering 89.3 million households and 77% of the television population (around the same as the major cable channels). None of this is helpful to those of you in the Dallas-Fort Worth market, which is the largest one with no stations carrying the game.

Newton_14
09-29-2016, 10:10 PM

My absolute favorite uni combo! Can't wait!. I want one of the Blue Helmets really bad for my Duke collection, however currently I have only seen the Black Helmets and the White Helmets for sale at games and/or the stores on campus. I would gladly drop the $100 bucks on the Blue one.

Looking forward to a great Duke day.... Basketball Practice at 9:30 in Cameron, Football at 12:30 in Wally Wade.... priceless. Doesn't get much better for a good Duke sports day in early October!

Might we see one of the Freshman Running Backs against UVA with Jela out Mr Bob??

DU82
09-29-2016, 11:40 PM
My absolute favorite uni combo! Can't wait!. I want one of the Blue Helmets really bad for my Duke collection, however currently I have only seen the Black Helmets and the White Helmets for sale at games and/or the stores on campus. I would gladly drop the $100 bucks on the Blue one.

Looking forward to a great Duke day... Basketball Practice at 9:30 in Cameron, Football at 12:30 in Wally Wade... priceless. Doesn't get much better for a good Duke sports day in early October!

Might we see one of the Freshman Running Backs against UVA with Jela out Mr Bob??

Sure looks like blue-BLACK-white to me regarding the unis.

richardjackson199
09-30-2016, 05:54 AM

Bob Green said this in a different thread in response to this same question - "Running back is a position where it is commonplace for true freshmen to play so I will not be surprised if we see #22 Brittain Brown play this Saturday."

Bob Green
09-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Virginia's secondary will be missing a couple of cornerbacks tomorrow:

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/virginia-secondary-banged-up-heading-into-duke-game/article_58f25e18-867a-11e6-9f05-1788fbc5faf5.html

Reilly
10-01-2016, 12:10 AM
Gameday.

Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

OldPhiKap
10-01-2016, 08:49 AM
. . . Fight for the blue and white . . .

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Game day!

Avvocato
10-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Game day. Hope Notre Dame is in the rear view mirror and we are focused on UVa. Big game. Need to keep the momentum going. It will be important to establish the running game without Duncan. He's been our most consistent runner, I believe since last year. Need the line and RBs to all step up.

I thought Saxton played a great game last week. Hoping he can continue to play at that level.

I love how Jones spreads the ball around. It's harder to game plan against him from that angle, because he doesn't appear to have a go to guy necessarily. It really shows an understanding of the offense and trust in his receivers. If they are open, he will get it to them. He also shows good trust in the routes, which I think is also why he generally gets the ball out quicker. Love watching him develop. He's also much stronger than you would think. He ran over some ND defenders, or at other times was just hard to bring down. I don't want him taking too many shots, but I was surprised with his strength and toughness.

It was also interesting that ND couldn't cover Rahming in the first half last week. I thought he helped us get started before we settled in. I'm sure the ND can't cover anyone jokes will come, but I think Rahming has that ability to shake loose. I like how our receivers (and TEs) have been developing in general. There were questions about our receivers getting open, running routes, etc. I think they've answered that, and when Jones has time, he gets them the ball nicely.

One side note. A co-worker's son is a walk on on the team. He didn't travel to ND and watched the game with his dad. The long catch and run from Jones to Nash in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 35 was apparently not a play in the playbook. Was either developed by the coaches on the fly or somehow improvised (I forget how it was phrased to me). Great adjustments and execution by all involved.

We'll see if last week was the building of some in season momentum or just a great moment. Let's take care of business and go get it. I hope there is a great crowd today supporting the guys. Let's go Duke.

richardjackson199
10-01-2016, 10:01 AM
In Vegas, the line was Duke by 4. 70% of bets coming in for Duke. Vegas responded today by dropping line to Duke by 3.5, encouraging more action on Duke. I assume this would indicate the wiseguys are taking Virginia.

For entertainment purposes only.

If Duke wins by 3 and fails to cover, that works.

riverside6
10-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Live stats for Duke/Virginia...

http://www.scacchoops.com/virginia-at-duke-football-live-stats-10012016

loran16
10-01-2016, 03:10 PM
At midfield down two tds in the fourth quarter and you can't stop the opponent:

WHY ARE YOU PUNTING

SCMatt33
10-01-2016, 03:48 PM
At midfield down two tds in the fourth quarter and you can't stop the opponent:

WHY ARE YOU PUNTING

Well clearly the punt wasn't an issue, but Jones has finally looked like a freshman today. Way more bad throws than good. Not just the picks, but so many deflections as well. Some of that goes on the line, but a lot goes on the QB as well. Not that any of it unforgivable for a freshman, but if they lose and go 0-2 vs. Wake and UVA at home, it'll hurt big time trying to get to 6

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Amazingly disappointing. So many squandered opportunities.

ipatent
10-01-2016, 04:26 PM
.. no bowl this year, and disappointing outcome today as it was one of the two remaining games that seemed a likely win. The injuries no doubt contributed. Hope they keep their heads up, pull off a few upsets down the road and maintain the espirit de corps they've earned the past three years for seasons to come.

arnie
10-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Amazingly disappointing. So many squandered opportunities.

The huge number of really bad plays in the 3 games I thought we could win is so out of character for a Cut coached team. Gotta believe he can turn it around. We have a reasonable shot a beating Army and GA T, but don't believe the talent is there to win the others. So 4-8 seems a fair prediction; but should be much stronger and experienced next year.

FerryFor50
10-01-2016, 05:51 PM
The huge number of really bad plays in the 3 games I thought we could win is so out of character for a Cut coached team. Gotta believe he can turn it around. We have a reasonable shot a beating Army and GA T, but don't believe the talent is there to win the others. So 4-8 seems a fair prediction; but should be much stronger and experienced next year.

Yea but pretty predictable for such a young and injury depleted team.

Disappointed they couldn't beat Virginia though.

Also annoying that they played Wake before Hinton and Carney were injured.

Devilwin
10-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Jones looked like a freshman today, and not a very good one at that. But ALL freshman quarterbacks have games like this, and he will get his mojo back, I'm sure. The line in front of him didn't block at all for him, so don't wanna lay it all at the feet of what's eventually be a great qb. Again, another bad play calling game by the o/c and staff. Very disappointing game. Very. I doubt very much we win four this year. But hey, Notre Dame killed Syracuse today, so there's hope for the future. Cutcliff has done an amazing job here, he's due a down year once in a while. This time, unlike the past, I don't feel like we'll stay down.

BD80
10-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Jones got blown up today. He's lucky his head is still attached.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-duke-quarterback-gets-sacked-so-hard-he-completely-flips-over/

richardjackson199
10-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Defense actually had a nice game except of course way too many big play killers. We shut down Mizzell. UVA's quarterback was deadly accurate.

That pass interference call before halftime was complete bs - Fields didn't even touch their receiver. It was a devastating penalty. We had them backed up and had stopped them. That lead to UVA adding another TD right before halftime, with them getting ball to start 3rd.

Obviously disaster day for the offense. 6 turnovers. O line could not stop Kiser. Great day for UVA's defense with all those tipped passes, sacks, and picks.

Bad luck on special teams with their punter pinning us at the one twice.

Bummer for homecoming. I hope we put it all together and get a win vs. Army. Hopefully Wallace Wade gets a decent turnout next week. This team is showing heart and deserves that.

richardjackson199
10-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Jones got blown up today. He's lucky his head is still attached.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-duke-quarterback-gets-sacked-so-hard-he-completely-flips-over/

That was closer to targetting than Singleton's hit at Northwestern.

Richard Berg
10-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Really missing Edwards. On both huge pass plays where Borders chased down the receiver, he had played the corner route 100% correctly, only to have the safety leave the other spot unguarded.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Keep the faith. The future is still bright.
Love,Ima

Bob Green
10-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Jela Duncan being unavailable really hurt offensive balance as we ran 54 pass plays and 31 run plays. Duke actually out gained Virginia 430 yards to 416. You can't turn the ball over six times and win.

Bob Green
10-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Jim Sumner game article on the front page finishes with this Coach Cutcliffe quote:

“By the time tomorrow afternoon comes around and I’ve gotten in front of them at 4:00 p.m., there will be a laundry list of things people are going to get better at,” Cutcliffe said after the game. “I’m going to handle this. I’m not going to hang my head; I’m not going to run from anything. I don’t expect anybody in this program to do that.”

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/10/1/13133156/duke-falls-to-virginia-at-home-34-20-acc-football

I like his attitude!

PDDuke85
10-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Jela Duncan being unavailable really hurt offensive balance as we ran 54 pass plays and 31 run plays. Duke actually out gained Virginia 430 yards to 416. You can't turn the ball over six times and win.

Bob et al,
Hearing Cut's response to the question in his post game presser regarding pulling Daniel Jones and inserting Parker Boehme, I felt, well, why not? Some chat in my section regarding the same. Did anyone else feel as though a change in QB was warranted?

In Cut I still trust though.

Indoor66
10-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Bob et al,
Hearing Cut's response to the question in his post game presser regarding pulling Daniel Jones and inserting Parker Boehme, I felt, well, why not? Some chat in my section regarding the same. Did anyone else feel as though a change in QB was warranted?

For crying out loud, the kid is a freshman replacing an injured senior starter. Patience is a virtue in seeming short supply at football games.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Bob et al,

For crying out loud, the kid is a freshman replacing an injured senior starter. Patience is a virtue in seeming short supply at football games.

I don't think that PD raises an unfair question. But Jones is young and gonna take his lumps at times; yesterday was one of those days. Might as well keep him out there and see what he can do.

Ultimately I think the decision depends on whether Jones was making freshman mistakes, or just not doing what the coaches were telling him to do. The former, I keep him out there; the latter, I put in Parker. My guess is that Cut probably approaches the question the same way.

devildeac
10-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Bob et al,

According to the Raleigh N&O this AM, Cut barked/bristled at that same question asked by a Chronicle reporter after the game, and, after a few second staredown, carried on with his presser/Q&A. As I texted someone after the game, Jones looked like a RS-Sr last week vs ND and looked like a HS-Sr yesterday. At least he has his first career reception on one of the many tipped passes :o :rolleyes: . Jones took much/a lot/all the responsibility himself in the same N&O article this AM. Sadly, it was 2 steps up against ND and 6 steps (cough, TO, cough) backward against UVa yesterday with a very long laundry list of things to improve according to Cut's quotes, both from Jim's report and the N&O piece.

PDDuke85
10-02-2016, 10:28 AM
According to the Raleigh N&O this AM, Cut barked/bristled at that same question asked by a Chronicle reporter after the game, and, after a few second staredown, carried on with his presser/Q&A. As I texted someone after the game, Jones looked like a RS-Sr last week vs ND and looked like a HS-Sr yesterday. At least he has his first career reception on one of the many tipped passes :o :rolleyes: . Jones took much/a lot/all the responsibility himself in the same N&O article this AM. Sadly, it was 2 steps up against ND and 6 steps (cough, TO, cough) backward against UVa yesterday with a very long laundry list of things to improve according to Cut's quotes, both from Jim's report and the N&O piece.

The post game presser posted on GoDuke.com was edited (as of last night anyhow), with that particular question and Cut's response eliminated. The WRAL website posted the presser in its entirety

Bob Green
10-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Hearing Cut's response to the question in his post game presser regarding pulling Daniel Jones and inserting Parker Boehme, I felt, well, why not?

I like Coach Cutcliffe sticking with Jones. It was a 27-20 game in the 4th Quarter and I expected Jones to lead us to victory late. The punt to the one yard line was a dagger followed by the sack/fumble in the end zone. Up until that point, it was still a winnable ball game.

When the punt was downed at the one, I made the comment to DevilDeac, Newton_14 and my Dad that 99 yard drives are the type which make legends. It wasn't in the cards yesterday.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I like Coach Cutcliffe sticking with Jones. It was a 27-20 game in the 4th Quarter and I expected Jones to lead us to victory late. The punt to the one yard line was a dagger followed by the sack/fumble in the end zone. Up until that point, it was still a winnable ball game.

When the punt was downed at the one, I made the comment to DevilDeac, Newton_14 and my Dad that 99 yard drives are the type which make legends. It wasn't in the cards yesterday.

Yeah, credit UVa. That blindside blitz was the killer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-02-2016, 11:32 AM
So many interceptions and tips at the line of scrimmage. My frustration stems from the fact that it was such a winnable game, and we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.

Yes, Daniel Jones came back to earth. Yes, he got his bell rung. Yes, we were missing way too many good players on both sides of the ball. And yet, it was mistakes that did us in when the game was on the line.

Richard Berg
10-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm not worried about Jones. He showed a lot of upside, not to mention guts.

If anything, I'm wondering why we didn't utilize him more -- as a designed run, or in the speed-option. He is not as powerful as Sirk, but has the speed and toughness of Boone, who ran such plays very successfully.

richardjackson199
10-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Bob et al,

Yep - Jones will be fine, Jones is our guy, and he absolutely should be. Jones showed marked improvement in learning from mistakes from Wake/Northwestern in the Notre Dame game. He'll learn from this one too.

On Jones first pick he tried to force it and make a play - poor decision and freshman mistake. He was looking great up to that point. He shook it off and continued to play well until the 2nd pick. On that pick, Jones actually made the right read and great decision/throw. The corner who was blitzing him made an incredible play by stopping his blitz to jump and snag the throw out of the air. Jones got rattled and lost his confidence a bit after that one, leading to some 2nd guessing and more bad decisions. This was not helped by a very poor showing from our offensive line. Jones was hurried and bothered by lots of UVA pass rush. Better blocking could also prevent some of those tipped passes.

We should be thankful Jones was not severely injured by that blindside blitz hit. I don't know how he was not at least concussed. We will have a good week of practice, and this team will continue to improve. I expect a better showing vs. Army, and I expect this team to earn more surprise wins.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-02-2016, 12:15 PM
To be clear, I did not lose any faith in Jones, just felt we kept repeating self-inflicted mistakes.

richardjackson199
10-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I also noticed our receivers yesterday weren't getting lots of yards after catch. Sometimes they seemed to just go to the ground after catching it (even with nobody around them). Or they would run right out of bounds, content with first down yardage. Almost every time we catch a pass, our receivers need to have a big play mindset. They need to catch the ball, and then try to beat somebody and break for the endzone. We need more of the big plays our opponents are getting on us, and yards after catch would help.

jimsumner
10-02-2016, 02:44 PM
The post game presser posted on GoDuke.com was edited (as of last night anyhow), with that particular question and Cut's response eliminated. The WRAL website posted the presser in its entirety

I've been to a lot of Cut's press conferences and last night was the first time I've seen him lose his cool.

And make no mistake, he lost his cool. I thought he was going to have a stroke.

In my opinion, he was asked a legitimate question, in a neutral manner and responded in a way that many of us in the room thought was out of character.

I understand he doesn't want or need a quarterback controversy but I think he let his frustrations get the better of him. He could have and should have handled it differently.

IMO.

Reilly
10-02-2016, 03:24 PM
I was at the game. I would not have pulled DJ. I'm usually in lock-step with a Duke friend (who watched on TV) in certain analyses (we're 30+-year very close followers of the FB program) who thought PB should've been given a shot, so I understand it may have looked differently on TV. But there, seeing it live, I thought DJ was still our best chance at victory.

Notes on Wallace Wade and GameDay:

(1) The pressbox is larger than the photos lead me to believe. Approaching the stadium between Cameron and Card, that's all that one sees (cannot see the bowl), and it feels like a big-time CFB venue a la VT or South Carolina where the structure reaches to the sky way above ground.

(2) Loved the landscaping beneath the scoreboard and the new location/situating of the Wallace Wade statue. Very, very nice and cool.

(3) Will be very neat when it's all finished: the underside of the tower (plastic wrap); east side concessions and bathrooms; most of all the concourse (what material will be used -- to me, this will be a huge question/factor); some sort of shade/something on the east side to replace the president's box -- seems very empty there.

(4) A+ for effort: there was a free student tailgate in front of Card (0 people there at 9:45 am); there were free student t-shirt giveaways; there was a Blue Devil tailgate between Cameron and the K bldg where drinks could be bought and flat screen TVs -- happened upon it at 10:15 am leaving Cameron (0 people were there). Duke and the staff are trying everything.

(5) My best friends from Duke who are football fans (we all grew up in the southeast or mid-Atlantic or as kids of Duke alums) now live in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Dallas, SW Florida, Charlotte, and Portland OR. I imagine this is a typical dispersion of Duke alums -- football fans, who care, who grew up within a day's drive, who know football, and who now cannot really get to a game (the Charlotte alum being the only home-game attendee this year). The great majority of the fans at the game who I talked with were non-Duke-alums who live somewhat local and appreciate Cut and Duke football: thank you!

arnie
10-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I've been to a lot of Cut's press conferences and last night was the first time I've seen him lose his cool.

In my opinion, he was asked a legitimate question, in a neutral manner and responded in a way that many of us in the room thought was out of character.

I understand he doesn't want or need a quarterback controversy but I think he let his frustrations get the better of him. He could have and should have handled it differently.

IMO.

Chronicle staff has a knack for irritating coaches. But if the tone of the question was neutral, Cut shouldn't have lost it. We need more students at games, not fewer.

Devilwin
10-02-2016, 04:56 PM
I agree with PD. No sense letting the kid get his confidence crushed by throwing more interceptions. He was off his game, it happens to the best of them. No question the kid is gonna be a great one, he has the tools to be the best ever at Duke. That being said, maybe he gets his stroke and confidence back if he hits a couple of long passes for scores? It's an awful sticky fine line. He was throwing the ball all over the place, had several tipped at the line of scrimmage as well. Parker is certainly capable, maybe he comes in and we rally. Who knows? I have confidence in Daniel still, but as of yesterday, I believe I would have pulled him after the third pick.
Not second guessing Cut either. He's done wonders here, and I deliver packages to people..lol
Look at the Panthers now. We know they're better than they're playing, and it's a good thing Atlanta is getting a new stadium, because the Panthers stunk this one up so bad as to render it non-useable!

BD80
10-02-2016, 05:20 PM
... Look at the Panthers now. We know they're better than they're playing, and it's a good thing Atlanta is getting a new stadium, because the Panthers stunk this one up so bad as to render it non-useable!

Do the Panthers now have a QB controversy?

Devilwin
10-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Do the Panthers now have a QB controversy?

Not really, but Derek Anderson did rally the troops in Cam's absence.

Richard Berg
10-02-2016, 08:12 PM
That being said, maybe he gets his stroke and confidence back if he hits a couple of long passes for scores?
Like the 43-yard bomb to Chambers he had in the 4th quarter?

As I said, he showed plenty of grit, and didn't degrade noticeably as the INTs piled up. The non-tipped balls were delivered on the money, for the most part. His margin for error was simply too small, especially when backed up on the 1yd line.

OZ
10-02-2016, 08:38 PM

IMO.

Not defending Cut, but perhaps, he interpreted the question as inferring that Jones was the reason we lost this game. As Cut pointed out, we were out "everythinged!" This loss was a total team effort. Our car load could come up with only one positive from this game...our place kicker hit all of his PAs and FGs.

devildeac
10-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Not defending Cut, but perhaps, he interpreted the question as inferring that Jones was the reason we lost this game. As Cut pointed out, we were out "everythinged!" This loss was a total team effort. Our car load could come up with only one positive from this game...our place kicker hit all of his PAs and FGs.

I texted another one to fuse after the game: only 2 penalties for 25 yards. But, then again, even that was more penalties and yards than at ND.

Newton_14
10-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Tough afternoon. Like watching a rerun of the Wake game. Sitting with DevilDeac and Bob Green, we talked a lot throughout the day but "time to pull Jones" never came up. Maybe in hindsight, we should have at least debated it, but I wholeheartedly agree it was a team problem, starting with the offensive line. One interesting note Cut brought up in his locker room interview was UVA D-Line using a ploy at times of not rushing but rather hold position and then jump when the ball was thrown. It worked a lot obviously. He mentioned that when that is occurring, the O-Line has to recognize that and go attack their man rather than staying back falsely believing they are protecting the QB.

I was worried about a hangover after ND, and it definitely happened in my opinion. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Too many busted coverages in the secondary too. The loss of Devon was glaringly apparent in that regard.

I also think despite how well Jones has played at times, and how good he looks throwing the ball, I don't think nearly enough is being said regarding how much this team misses Thomas Sirk. Say what you want but the guy moved the offense and put points on the board. He changed the dynamic of the offense and made defenses constantly be aware of his capabilities as a runner. When we got stopped at the 3 on our last scoring drive, I remember thinking to myself that we punch that in with Sirk at the helm. Not having Sirk or Jela is a killer to our power running game. Made it much easier for UVA to defend us in the red zone. Same thing on the last drive before the fumble in the endzone... with Sirk, we very likely run him right up the gut on first down to get us some valuable space and yardage.

People are going to have to show patience with this team (unlike the many fans that left at halftime yesterday, at the end of the 3rd qtr, and later still with the score still 27-20! Sorry but that just grates on my very last nerve. Either be a real fan or just don't come at all.) Northwestern can draw fans and we can't. It's freaking embarrassing.

Scorp4me
10-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Like the 43-yard bomb to Chambers he had in the 4th quarter?

As I said, he showed plenty of grit, and didn't degrade noticeably as the INTs piled up. The non-tipped balls were delivered on the money, for the most part. His margin for error was simply too small, especially when backed up on the 1yd line.

That ball was underthrown and was an interception waiting to happen. The fact that it wasn't owed more to Chambers than to Jones.

I have no reason giving Parker a shot yesterday. Wasn't there a game where Boone played horrible against State only to have Connette come in and win the game? But then the next game Boone started again and did great. Hate to use Carolina as an example, but they were in a similar situation last year using the backup when the starter was struggling for a game. Our coaching staff just doesn't seem to adjust sometimes and this is just another area where they often don't. I'll still take them, but wish they were a bit more flexible sometimes.