PDA

View Full Version : Thank You DeVon Edwards

richardjackson199
09-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Out for the season.

Stephen Wiseman
‏@stevewisemanNC
DeVon Edwards has torn ligaments, per Cutcliffe. ACL and MCL. Out for season.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Thank you DeVon for everything you have given to Duke football.

Prayers that DeVon makes a full recovery and is out doing his thing again on the football field asap. He was such an absolute pleasure to watch and cheer for. What a leader and player. Cut says he is an even better person. He was my favorite Duke football player and has embodied everything Duke football is about now.

Some of my favorite memories of DeVon:

This is the best - In 2013, Duke scores 3 touchdowns in 26 seconds, and 3 spectacular ones in this game by you know who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRx2vfT208

And that 100 yard kickoff return one more time with live sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54U8QdzJXpQ

And although this one has an odd beginning, end, and soundtrack - it's a sweet comprehensive highlight reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NNgXwL-Tk

Pretty Sweet that our Final score over UNC in 2013 was 27, DeVon's number since he played a key role in this monumental win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcIMiuymXd0

Encore taking it to the house call by Doris Burke vs UNC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYaLAoxuljU

100 yards untouched vs. Ga Tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8a1L-L8WHM

99 yards untouched vs Pitt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ih6qiEamW4

94 yards vs UVA:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=4726245

Yes we will Remember. Great highlight reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btX7v4l7PoA

Thank you DeVon!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2016, 07:19 PM
The end of DeVon's career at Duke confirmed on goduke.com.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211189837

Devilwin
09-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Good luck to you, son, in all your future endeavors. You were spectacular to watch on the field. We'll miss you!

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Totally missed the other thead, so merge of course.

Thank you so much, Devon, best wishes in your future.
(http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211189837)

Newton_14
09-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks indeed. What a warrior. The Kyle Singler of Football (well, Singler never had that speed but you get the gist). On that note, Cut offered Devon a scholarship after watching him play a High School Basketball game, not Football. Interesting.

Great career and the injury definitely took away from the big win for me personally. Twas not a perfect day for sure.

But, to the experts, is Devon not eligible to appeal to the NCAA for a 6th year like others have recently? Is that not on the table or what? Not sure how much time he will need to recover from a pretty destroyed knee but would hope he would at least be eligible to appeal for a 6th year...

CameronBornAndBred
09-25-2016, 08:13 PM
But, to the experts, is Devon not eligible to appeal to the NCAA for a 6th year like others have recently? Is that not on the table or what? Not sure how much time he will need to recover from a pretty destroyed knee but would hope he would at least be eligible to appeal for a 6th year...

I wondered about this too, but he's already in graduate school (and doing well).

Edwards graduated from Duke with a degree in psychology and certificate in markets and management and is currently pursuing a master’s degree in liberal studies and owns a 3.600 graduate school grade point average. Edwards was a 2015 CoSIDA Academic All-America honoree and is a three-time All-ACC Academic Football Team selection and four-time ACC Academic Honor Roll member.
Not sure what his timeline is to get his graduate degree. Either way, I hope he is able to rehab strongly and be able to fight for an NFL roster spot; which would seem likely to be his ultimate dream.

Dev11
09-25-2016, 08:15 PM
He's been an outstanding player and representative of Duke. Hopefully he can rehab and manage to play football at the next level. Thank you for everything.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Big DeVon fan -- but who isn't?

Thanks for a great career, I hope for a full and quick recovery!

ipatent
09-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Too bad for the kid's career to end that way..hope he still has a shot at a pro career.

Appropos that they won one for the Gipper.

DukieInKansas
09-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Thank you for all you did to help bring Duke football back. Your hard work is greatly appreciated and respected. Best of luck in all of your future endeavors. And may you heal completely and quickly.

Lauderdevil
09-25-2016, 09:05 PM
We'd love to see you do on Sundays what you've been doing on Saturdays for the last few years. Good luck with your recovery . . . and thanks.

jimsumner
09-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Thanks indeed. What a warrior. The Kyle Singler of Football (well, Singler never had that speed but you get the gist). On that note, Cut offered Devon a scholarship after watching him play a High School Basketball game, not Football. Interesting.

Great career and the injury definitely took away from the big win for me personally. Twas not a perfect day for sure.

Edwards was a healthy redshirt as a true freshman in 2012. Sixth years are typically only available to players who miss two seasons as a result of injury, as was the case with Kenny Anunike, Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver, all of whom were granted a sixth year in which to complete their eligibility.

chrishoke
09-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Thank you young man. You are amazing in every way.

moonpie23
09-25-2016, 10:11 PM
thanks, man ....for all the thrills......hope you get your shot for the league...

CDu
09-25-2016, 10:39 PM
Uggh! That stinks. Had a feeling that it was an ACL when I saw it, but was hoping for good fortune. Hate to see his career at Duke end like that. Hopefully he can find his way onto an NFL roster.

Reilly
09-25-2016, 10:47 PM
As Devon said Cut told him after seeing his h.s. hoops game, "your game isn't small."

Devilsforlife
09-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Thank you for the many thrilling memories. Get well soon, DeVon!

Olympic Fan
09-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Worth remembering, DeVon Edwards was a two-star recruit (based on the 247 composite), rated the 150th best prospect in the state of Georgia.

His only Division 1 offer came from Duke:

http://247sports.com/Player/DeVon-Edwards-17178?Institution=9761

What an amazing career ... even if it was cut short. I'm bummed that he won't get the all-time NCAA record for kick returns for a touchdown (he'll finish one short of the record) and that he won't finish in the Duke top 10 for career sacks (he's 1.5 short) -- what an amazing combination of skills.

But I'm convinced that DeVon will be successful in life and I'm glad we'll have him on the sidelines for the rest of the season.

YmoBeThere
09-26-2016, 02:19 AM
Thanks DeVon for all the exciting moments you provided us fellow alums during fall weekends the last several years. May success find you on whichever paths you take in life.

SCMatt33
09-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Edwards was a healthy redshirt as a true freshman in 2012. Sixth years are typically only available to players who miss two seasons as a result of injury, as was the case with Kenny Anunike, Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver, all of whom were granted a sixth year in which to complete their eligibility.

Also remember, DeVon would need to receiver two separate waivers. The first, as you mentioned is a waiver to his five year clock, which is normally reserved for guys who missed two years due to injury, the second is that he'd need to receive a medical hardship to not have this season count as one of his four. This is much less likely as he played in 4 games (even if only a few plays in the fourth) and that is over 30% of the season, which is the clear standard in the rule.

Given how wishy washy the NCAA can be with its own rule book, there's a nonzero chance of it happening, but I'd consider that chance so small that his career in over on my mind unless someone releases a statement both that he applied and that the NCAA didant immediately dismiss it, which doesn't seem like the case based on the GoDuke release. Thanks for a great career DeVon!

devildeac
09-26-2016, 10:56 AM
This makes me very sad. What a great STUDENT/athlete, ambassador, competitor and young gentleman we have to represent Duke. Heal quickly, complete your degree/s and get a superb job, whether it be on Sundays or Mondays through Fridays.

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Also remember, DeVon would need to receiver two separate waivers. The first, as you mentioned is a waiver to his five year clock, which is normally reserved for guys who missed two years due to injury, the second is that he'd need to receive a medical hardship to not have this season count as one of his four. This is much less likely as he played in 4 games (even if only a few plays in the fourth) and that is over 30% of the season, which is the clear standard in the rule.

Given how wishy washy the NCAA can be with its own rule book, there's a nonzero chance of it happening, but I'd consider that chance so small that his career in over on my mind unless someone releases a statement both that he applied and that the NCAA didant immediately dismiss it, which doesn't seem like the case based on the GoDuke release. Thanks for a great career DeVon!

This is all 100% true. And 60% of the time the NCAA follows their rule book every time. So I think it's worth a shot to ask for the 6th year. I don't fully understand the clear standard for their rule, but they probably don't either. So could DeVon argue that he did not at all play 30% of the season? He played 3 games which is 25%. He played significantly less than one quarter vs. Notre Dame. Even if he played that whole first quarter that would move him up to 27% of the season (show them the number on his jersey for emphasis). So he actually played less than 30% of the season - the spirit of that rule. He could not play more than 75% of that game due to his devastating injury.

Then show them his grades and accomplishments - he has been a consummate student athlete - on the field, off the field, and in the classroom. That should count for something when making a decision like this of when to do the right thing to help a student athlete.

Like Steph Curry, DeVon was not highly regarded coming out of high school and got virtually no interest from Power 5 type schools. He's obviously not Steph, but he too is an undersized guy who has shown plenty of sensational moments in college. If he gets back to 100% with successful surgery (hopefully that knee had no arterial or nerve damage!), then who knows? It's absolutely possible that DeVon playing 100% his senior year could impress scouts enough to make the NFL. (The NFL likes dudes who return pick 6's, return kickoffs 100 yards untouched, shut down wide receivers, and sack quarterbacks.) And why penalize him because he redshirted his freshman year, which is pretty common in today's game? I know it gets back to the rule, but that seems arbitrary when 6th years are granted by NCAA consideration of the circumstances.

I'm just saying the NCAA has done crazier things (cough), so maybe it's worth a shot asking them. I think a convincing argument could be made that it's the right thing to do in this case for this player. And it's fair. Just don't count freshman redshirt years against players who later get injured and play in exactly less than 30% of that season due to that injury.

Pipe dream perhaps. At least DeVon is in the right place to get the best surgery and hopefully the best outcome.

He has shown what he does with adversity, so I'm confident he'll bring that same mentality to rehab (a la Paul George). He proved college scouts dead wrong. He helped lead Duke from a team picked to finish last in their division to the one that finished first. He continued that success by leading younger teammates and showing them through example what Duke football is all about. He was on pace to finish in sole possession of the NCAA kickoff return record. Regardless of the breaks he can't control, DeVon Edwards has shown he has what it takes to be a success. And succeed he will.

SoCalDukeFan
09-26-2016, 12:19 PM
One of my favorite players. I wish him a swift and complete recovery and a great life after Duke football.

This appeared to be a non-contact injury. Terry Bridgewater also suffered a season ending non-contact knee injury.

Can they not design a support that does not slow you know too much but reduces the chance or severity of injuries like this?

Thanks
SoCal

jimsumner
09-26-2016, 12:43 PM
I would put the chance of Edwards getting a sixth season as zero. There's nothing in the NCAA rules that gives an exemption for being a great guy and an excellent student. He simply doesn't meet the criteria for a sixth season.

The Duke media release specifically says that his Duke career is over.

"Duke redshirt senior safety and three-time All-America kick returner DeVon Edwards will miss the remainder of the 2016 season after suffering torn left anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in Saturday’s 38-35 win over Notre Dame. The injury signifies the end of Edwards’ collegiate football career."

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 12:50 PM
I would put the chance of Edwards getting a sixth season as zero. There's nothing in the NCAA rules that gives an exemption for being a great guy and an excellent student. He simply doesn't meet the criteria for a sixth season.

The Duke media release specifically says that his Duke career is over.

"Duke redshirt senior safety and three-time All-America kick returner DeVon Edwards will miss the remainder of the 2016 season after suffering torn left anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in Saturday’s 38-35 win over Notre Dame. The injury signifies the end of Edwards’ collegiate football career."

Thank you for clarifying this Jim!

Olympic Fan
09-26-2016, 01:00 PM
I agree with Jim, that DeVon's chances of getting the two NCAA waivers he needs are slim to the point of impossibility. And, as he notes, Duke has said that his career is over.

Having said that, I'm still waiting on word that Duke will or will not seek a sixth year for Thomas Sirk. He did redshirt one year voluntarily, but he also missed two complete seasons with injuries. Under NCAA guidelines, he would almost certainly be granted a sixth year if he applied for it.

I have heard no word -- positive or negative -- about Sirk's desire to play a sixth year.

SCMatt33
09-26-2016, 01:05 PM

Not to belabor the point, but there is nothing in the rule book that would disqualify him from receiving a 6th season. The five-year rule waiver specifically states that they reserve the right to review requests that do not meet the more than one year missed beyond control (I.e. Two injury seasons). The rule for a hardship waiver to get back a season of competition however, does not contain such language for considering those who do not meet the 30% requirement. As much as it stinks, had DeVon gotten hurt during warm ups on Saturday instead of after 1 series, there would have been a very small, but not insignificant chance of him getting another season. As it stands however, he has virtually no shot, beyond the NCAA ignoring its own rules.

Son of Jarhead
09-28-2016, 01:24 PM
As much as I would love DeVon to get another crack at things in Duke Blue, I know that is not going to happen, so I'll gladly put this thread back on to thanking him for all he has done for our program.

Thank you, DeVon Edwards, for all the great memories you have provided us fans over the last 4 years, from your 6 kickoff returns for touchdowns to your 327 tackles to your 6 caused fumbles to your 13 tackles for loss to your 10.5 quarterback sacks to your 8 QB pressures to your 21 pass breakups to your 5 interceptions to your 2 interception returns for touchdowns. My personal favorite memories will always be the 3 TD's (1 KR + 2 IR) vs. NC State along with the KR TD vs. UNC, both from our 2013 ACC Coastal Championship Season. We'll also always be grateful for the classy way you have conducted yourself on and off the field, and for all you have done to raise our program to new and greater heights. You've earned All-American, Academic All-American, All-ACC, Academic All-ACC, National Player of Week, & ACC Player of the Week, as well as the respect of literally everyone. A true Student-Athlete, you are the living embodiment of the best of Duke and the best of college athletics. We have zero doubt that you will attack your rehab with the same tenacity you attacked opposing offenses. We'll miss you on the field this season, and we hope to be watching you on Sundays in the near future, but we know that you will be successful in anything you do. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. We are your fans for life. Go Duke!!!!

flyingdutchdevil
09-28-2016, 01:59 PM
One of my favorite players. I wish him a swift and complete recovery and a great life after Duke football.

This appeared to be a non-contact injury. Terry Bridgewater also suffered a season ending non-contact knee injury.

Can they not design a support that does not slow you know too much but reduces the chance or severity of injuries like this?

Thanks
SoCal

I'm sure they could, but you would have to sacrifice some mobility/agility. And in football (or basketball, or soccer) where the slightest edge in mobility or agility leads to being put on the field, no one would opt in for additional safety.

In baseball, on the other hand, where those funny looking hats that pitchers sometimes wear for protection against line-drives, protection comes at no expense (except for looking goofy).