PDA

View Full Version : Les Miles fired at LSU

diablesseblu
09-25-2016, 05:15 PM
http://lsu.247sports.com/Article/LSU-has-fired-head-coach-Les-Miles-47773078

Now the Tiger nation can watch Alleva in action!

arnie
09-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Pack fans think Miles may be their next coach. Doubt Yow would fire Doeren mid-season since she hired him, but will be pressured to talk to Miles. Think Alleva will have any input on the new tiger coach?

Olympic Fan
09-25-2016, 05:53 PM
No inside knowledge in this case, but there's a very good chance Alleva didn't make the decision on Miles.

At most SEC schools, the programs are run by the big boosters and the AD is a figurehead to pass on the decisions of the big money guys.

JBDuke
09-25-2016, 06:13 PM

No Les no more?

jafarr1
09-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Karl Dorrell is probably available.

weezie
09-25-2016, 07:35 PM
...Now the Tiger nation can watch Alleva in action!

Holy moly...that sounds like a dire warning.:eek:

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 08:14 PM
This has been inevitable for something like six years. The most hated nine-win-per-season coach outside of Athens. (And how's that working so far?)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Looks like Alleva and Orgeron will be working more closely together this season. Hope the compliance office has a sufficient staff!
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_53f1a66a-8357-11e6-9401-c7a5b0a63245.html

JasonEvans
09-25-2016, 11:57 PM
The most hated nine-win-per-season coach outside of Athens. (And how's that working so far?)

Working out great... for Miami.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Working out great... for Miami.

Exactly. Careful what you wish for, and don't let your britches get too big.

Spanarkel
09-26-2016, 09:48 AM
This has been inevitable for something like six years. The most hated nine-win-per-season coach outside of Athens. (And how's that working so far?)

Hard to put significant blame for UGA's lopsided loss to Ole Miss on first year Coach Kirby Smart. The talent differential between the two squads IMVHO was striking: Ole Miss went toe-to-toe with Alabama, losing a 24-3 lead due to multiple turnovers. The Rebels are seriously talented and can play with anyone(not saying they'll win). Coach Smart is trying to rectify past recruiting classes that did not emphasize offensive linemen and receivers. I personally believe that Coach Smart will prove himself to be a fine head coach in the dog-eat-dog SEC. It's decidedly too early to say for sure, however. UGA has verbal commitments from 11 of ESPN's Top 300 so far.

TKG
09-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Listening to the College Sports channel on Sirius this morning when the discussion turned to the LSU coaching vacancy and the guest was an LSU beat writer. The top three names he offered as potential replacements for Les Miles:

1) Tom Herman
2) Jimbo Fisher
3) Larry Fedora (from the Mad Hatter to just the Hat).

luburch
09-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Listening to the College Sports channel on Sirius this morning when the discussion turned to the LSU coaching vacancy and the guest was an LSU beat writer. The top three names he offered as potential replacements for Les Miles:

1) Tom Herman
2) Jimbo Fisher

Would LSU be a step up for Herman? I'm not so sure. Additionally, he'll be able to pick whatever job he wants.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 11:20 AM

1) Tom Herman
2) Jimbo Fisher

They better make a 4-10, because I don't think they're getting any of those. (outside chance of the Hat I guess if the NCAA drops sanctions on the heels, but that ain't happening to any painful degree unfortunately).

JasonEvans
09-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Would LSU be a step up for Herman? I'm not so sure. Additionally, he'll be able to pick whatever job he wants.

Ummm, yes, LSU is a step up from Houston. LSU can recruit any kid in the country. Houston doesn't have the history or broad fan base to do that kind of thing.

But, Herman has a pretty severe buyout clause in the contract he signed (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Herman-s-UH-contract-has-expensive-buyout-rich-6034381.php) a little more than a year ago. There is a $2.25 mil buyout if he leaves before the 2018 off-season. That said, his deal only pays him around $1.5 mil a season (there are lots of incentives, making it hard to pin down exactly what he makes). That's a lot for a non-BCS coach, but would be chump change within the SEC. There are SEC coordinators who make nearly that much. Even the lowest tier of SEC coaches make more than $3.5 mil a season to be head coach. Les Miles was making around $4.4 mil. So, even if LSU did not want to pay Herman's buyout, he would make more in year one at LSU (assuming he would sign a $4+ mil deal) even if he paid the buyout himself. Starting in year two he'd be easily doubling his current salary.

I know Herman can have pretty much his pick of jobs after this season, but I think he'd be crazy not to take LSU.

-Jason "Houston's stadium holds 32,000 fans... Tiger Stadium has a seating capacity of 102,000... if LSU calls, Herman is going to answer and say yes (unless another top tier job comes open in the next few months)" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Ummm, yes, LSU is a step up from Houston. LSU can recruit any kid in the country. Houston doesn't have the history or broad fan base to do that kind of thing.

But, Herman has a pretty severe buyout clause in the contract he signed (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Herman-s-UH-contract-has-expensive-buyout-rich-6034381.php) a little more than a year ago. There is a $2.25 mil buyout if he leaves before the 2018 off-season. That said, his deal only pays him around $1.5 mil a season (there are lots of incentives, making it hard to pin down exactly what he makes). That's a lot for a non-BCS coach, but would be chump change within the SEC. There are SEC coordinators who make nearly that much. Even the lowest tier of SEC coaches make more than $3.5 mil a season to be head coach. Les Miles was making around $4.4 mil. So, even if LSU did not want to pay Herman's buyout, he would make more in year one at LSU (assuming he would sign a $4+ mil deal) even if he paid the buyout himself. Starting in year two he'd be easily doubling his current salary.

I know Herman can have pretty much his pick of jobs after this season, but I think he'd be crazy not to take LSU.

-Jason "Houston's stadium holds 32,000 fans... Tiger Stadium has a seating capacity of 102,000... if LSU calls, Herman is going to answer and say yes (unless another top tier job comes open in the next few months)" Evans

I wonder if he is ready to pack his bags again though after just taking the Houston job. Isn't this just his second year there?

Another question would be whether he is trading a favorable fan base for one with perhaps some unrealistic expectations.

I would bet that Houston would be willing to renegotiate his contract.

But I don't know much about the guy -- if he feels he is ready to make the jump into the gumbo, I'm sure he can get the job.

blazindw
09-26-2016, 11:37 AM
That said, his deal only pays him around $1.5 mil a season (there are lots of incentives, making it hard to pin down exactly what he makes). That's a lot for a non-BCS coach, but would be chump change within the SEC. There are SEC coordinators who make nearly that much.

The highest paid coordinator in the country, Lane Kiffin, in fact makes just short of that. He was bumped up from $700K to $1.4M just before the season started.

Before the season, there was talk around Texas that Herman would be interested in LSU and LSU would want to grab him before either of Texas or A&M made coaching changes and threw all the money at him. Texas, so far, has proven giving Charlie Strong time to implement his program should work out, but A&M will not want Herman coaching at LSU with his strong ability to recruit the state.

luburch
09-26-2016, 12:38 PM

I don't think LSU is that much better of a job right now. Houston is currently ranked 6th (AP) and 7th (Coaches). They knocked off a then top 5 team, Oklahoma, on the road. He led Houston to a Peach bowl victory. Houston is the best team in a state rich with college football talent. They could possibly be on the way to the Big 12. He is in the perfect situation.

LSU is a fine job, but if Herman left he would be stepping into the SEC. The schedule is more difficult each week, his recruiting pitch has to change, and the pressure rises considerably.

If I'm Herman, I'm only leaving for Ohio State, Alabama, or Texas. Maybe that changes in 1-2 years, but he's got the college football world in the palm of his hands currently.

Spanarkel
09-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Exactly. Careful what you wish for, and don't let your britches get too big.

"Careful what you wish for": as if UGA shouldn't or can't wish for an SEC Football Title more than once every 10 years(last title in 2005), or a National Championship? Mark Richt was being paid $4M/year at UGA. He had plenty of opportunities at UGA, to be sure. Richt was good at winning his out-of-conference cupcake games and then usually abusing Vandy/Kentucky/USC and (until two years ago)a down Tennessee program for his 9-10 wins year, but he didn't far so well against Top 25 teams. So far this year Richt has won 3 games against FAMU/FAU/AppState. Let's see how he does against more solid competition soon although his team avoids playing UL and Clemson in the '16 regular season.

"Don't let your britches get too big": double entendre reference to UGA's Silver Britches? So maybe you can tell after four games that Kirby Smart is not going to be an outstanding coach. I think a reasoned approach would be to give him the benefit of the doubt as in several seasons with his own personnel.

BTW, Grayson Allen is a HUGE UGA football fan. I doubt he's ready to give up on Coach Smart or UGA now or in the near future.

arnie
09-26-2016, 12:50 PM

1) Tom Herman
2) Jimbo Fisher

Don't see fedora going to LSU. Academic requirements too difficult in SEC for players he recruits.

Olympic Fan
09-26-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't think LSU is that much better of a job right now. Houston is currently ranked 6th (AP) and 7th (Coaches). They knocked off a then top 5 team, Oklahoma, on the road. He led Houston to a Peach bowl victory. Houston is the best team in a state rich with college football talent. They could possibly be on the way to the Big 12. He is in the perfect situation.

LSU is a fine job, but if Herman left he would be stepping into the SEC. The schedule is more difficult each week, his recruiting pitch has to change, and the pressure rises considerably.

If I'm Herman, I'm only leaving for Ohio State, Alabama, or Texas. Maybe that changes in 1-2 years, but he's got the college football world in the palm of his hands currently.

There is a big difference between which is the better team right now (clearly Houston) and the best program (clearly LSU).

Maybe that changes if Houston gets invited to join the Big 8/12/10 in the near future and makes the massive investment necessary to upgrade to a true Power 5 status. But as of now -- with a small stadium, a small fan base (certainly compared to LSU) and a non-power 5 status, Houston's program is not in a class with LSU.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 01:20 PM
"Careful what you wish for": as if UGA shouldn't or can't wish for an SEC Football Title more than once every 10 years(last title in 2005), or a National Championship? Mark Richt was being paid $4M/year at UGA. He had plenty of opportunities at UGA, to be sure. Richt was good at winning his out-of-conference cupcake games and then usually abusing Vandy/Kentucky/USC and (until two years ago)a down Tennessee program for his 9-10 wins year, but he didn't far so well against Top 25 teams. So far this year Richt has won 3 games against FAMU/FAU/AppState. Let's see how he does against more solid competition soon although his team avoids playing UL and Clemson in the '16 regular season.

"Don't let your britches get too big": double entendre reference to UGA's Silver Britches? So maybe you can tell after four games that Kirby Smart is not going to be an outstanding coach. I think a reasoned approach would be to give him the benefit of the doubt as in several seasons with his own personnel.

BTW, Grayson Allen is a HUGE UGA football fan. I doubt he's ready to give up on Coach Smart or UGA now or in the near future.

Last 16 years of SEC champs:

2000 Florida
2001 LSU
2002 Georgia (Richt)
2003 LSU
2004 Auburn
2005 Georgia (Richt)
2006 Florida
2007 LSU
2008 Florida
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2011 LSU
2012 Alabama
2013 Auburn
2014 Alabama
2015 Alabama

Looks like the West has just been better than the East for most of that stretch. Florida won three times; Georgia twice; and West teams the other eleven out of thirteen. And considering that Alabama has won four of the ten since Georgia did last, perhaps that is a big reason why no one seems to win the championship very often.

Mark Richt's results at Georgia (overall record, conference record, conference standing, bowl result, final national ranking):

2001 Georgia 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (Eastern) L Music City 25 22
2002 Georgia 13–1 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 3 3
2003 Georgia 11–3 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 6 7
2004 Georgia 10–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Outback 6 7
2005 Georgia 10–3 6–2 1st (Eastern) L Sugar† 10 10
2006 Georgia 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) W Chick-fil-A 23
2007 Georgia 11–2 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 3 2
2008 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 10 13
2009 Georgia 8–5 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) W Independence
2010 Georgia 6–7 3–5 T–3rd (Eastern) L Liberty
2011 Georgia 10–4 7–1 1st (Eastern) L Outback 18 18
2012 Georgia 12–2 7–1 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 4 5
2013 Georgia 8–5 5–3 3rd (Eastern) L Gator
2014 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Belk 9 9
2015 Georgia 9–3 5–3 T–2nd (Eastern) W TaxSlayer* 25* (RICHT DID NOT COACH BOWL GAME)
Georgia: 145–51 83–37

9-5 in bowls; two SEC championships; first or second in the East all but four seasons. 74% win rate overall and 69% in conference. Finished ranked all but three years. Averaged 9.67 wins per season. Vince Dooley, by contrast, had an 8-10-2 bowl record IIRC. Ah, but he had Hershel. . . . Spurrier was 6-5 in bowls at Florida, 11-10 overall when adding in Duke and South Carolina.

Kirby Smart may well end up being a very good coach. He may not. But Georgia ain't Alabama. No one is. If the test is that you win a national championship game or get canned, well -- that's a tough one to uphold.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 01:50 PM
^^ Should be: West has won 11 of the last 16 (not 13).

And don't get me wrong: I like the Dawgs. I think firing Richt was a huge mistake though. I realize that is the distinct minority position in Dawg Nation, although I believe the overwhelming majority everywhere else in America. I wish Kirby well, especially if he only wins 9 games a year (or less) for his first few seasons.

Troublemaker
09-26-2016, 02:19 PM

For whatever reason, that sort of perspective is more prevalent in college basketball where you have guys like Mark Few and Gregg Marshall who will stick around for awhile and maybe even become lifers at a midmajor. In college football, it seems to me coaches will move to the high-pressure big conferences first chance they get. I doubt Herman will end up being an exception.

They could possibly be on the way to the Big 12.

The move to the Big 12 would HAVE to happen for Houston to even be in the conversation with LSU, imo.

Spanarkel
09-26-2016, 02:38 PM
^^ Should be: West has won 11 of the last 16 (not 13).

And don't get me wrong: I like the Dawgs. I think firing Richt was a huge mistake though. I realize that is the distinct minority position in Dawg Nation, although I believe the overwhelming majority everywhere else in America. I wish Kirby well, especially if he only wins 9 games a year (or less) for his first few seasons.

Since 1996(arbitrarily chosen), 9 FBS titles have been won by Southern schools not named Alabama. I think that the UGA AD/administration/boosters felt that UGA was not recently in serious competition for an SEC title, much less a national title(, although in many years it's been the same school). UGA under Mark Richt was not consistently competitive in games against top-notch opponents in the past several years. Yes, winning a national title is a lofty goal, for sure, but it didn't elude Phil Fulmer/Les Miles/Gene Chizik/Bobby Bowden and Jimbo Fisher. I don't think these lofty expectations were kept a secret from Coach Richt while he was being rewarded handsomely. College football coaching is a high risk/high reward occupation these days.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Since 1996(arbitrarily chosen), 9 FBS titles have been won by Southern schools not named Alabama. I think that the UGA AD/administration/boosters felt that UGA was not recently in serious competition for an SEC title, much less a national title(, although in many years it's been the same school). UGA under Mark Richt was not consistently competitive in games against top-notch opponents in the past several years. Yes, winning a national title is a lofty goal, for sure, but it didn't elude Phil Fulmer/Les Miles/Gene Chizik/Bobby Bowden and Jimbo Fisher. I don't think these lofty expectations were kept a secret from Coach Richt while he was being rewarded handsomely. College football coaching is a high risk/high reward occupation these days.

I think Phil Fulmer is a good example of the problem I'm talking about though. Since Phil left in 2008:

2015 9 - 4
2014 7 - 6
2013 5 - 7
2012 5 - 7
2011 5 - 7
2010 6 - 7
2009 7 - 6

Dev11
09-26-2016, 04:05 PM

Joe Alleva hired David Cutcliffe. I'm willing to bet many pitchforks that he won't find somebody who lasts longer at LSU than Cut will at Duke.

Miles had his flaws, but LSU was really successful during his tenure. I don't remember a lot of college football prior to his arrival in Baton Rouge, and in that time he's been one of the most prominent coaches in the country, behind maybe only Saban and Meyer and equal to or ahead of guys like Fisher, Kelly, and Harbaugh. Is Tom Herman the next top college football coach? More importantly, it is worth firing your most successful coach in most fans' lifetimes to find out, with the uncertainty of whether he'll even take the job?

Bob Green
09-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Joe Alleva hired David Cutcliffe.

Not really. There was a committee who selected David Cutcliffe. AD Joe Alleva favored Karl Dorrell.

Dev11
09-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Not really. There was a committee who selected David Cutcliffe. AD Joe Alleva favored Karl Dorrell.

Well, I mean it in the same way Joe fired Miles.

Bob Green
09-26-2016, 05:15 PM

Yep, I agree.

Olympic Fan
09-26-2016, 05:17 PM

Exactly ... you want to credit anybody for Cut, give the credit to Leo Hart and CG Newsome, who blocked Alleva from hiring Dorrell.

Allen had lost his autonomy for football hires after (1) firing Fred Goldsmith in 1998 (after a 4-7 season); (2) hiring Carl Franks (who won five games the next four years); (3) firing Franks at midseason in 2003); (4) replacing him with interim Ted Roof (actually not a bad replacement ... he went 2-3 to finish); (5) giving Roof the permanent job after his interim half-season (he won four games in his four full seasons) ... after that litany of bad judgment, the trustees (specifically Bob Steele, I believe) took the hiring power out of Alleva's hands.

Hart and Newsome pushed for Navy coach Paul Johnson and when he took the Georgia Tech job instead, they pushed for Cutcliffe and got him.

PS Although that hasn't stopped Alleva for claiming credit for the hire

diablesseblu
09-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Exactly ... you want to credit anybody for Cut, give the credit to Leo Hart and CG Newsome, who blocked Alleva from hiring Dorrell.

Allen had lost his autonomy for football hires after (1) firing Fred Goldsmith in 1998 (after a 4-7 season); (2) hiring Carl Franks (who won five games the next four years); (3) firing Franks at midseason in 2003); (4) replacing him with interim Ted Roof (actually not a bad replacement ... he went 2-3 to finish); (5) giving Roof the permanent job after his interim half-season (he won four games in his four full seasons) ... after that litany of bad judgment, the trustees (specifically Bob Steele, I believe) took the hiring power out of Alleva's hands.

Hart and Newsome pushed for Navy coach Paul Johnson and when he took the Georgia Tech job instead, they pushed for Cutcliffe and got him.

PS Although that hasn't stopped Alleva for claiming credit for the hire

I saw a recent video of Alleva speaking about the Cut hire. You're correct, OF. He took full credit for the hire. It was nauseating to watch.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Every time I talk to a disgruntled GT alum, I count my lucky stars that Paul Johnson chose Atlanta over Durham.

We could not have found a better fit for Duke than David Cutcliffe.

chris13
09-26-2016, 05:57 PM
Les Miles is the winningest coach LSU has ever had. LSU assumes that the new coach will have all of the strengths of Miles, but fix the weakness Miles had around the offense. As someone pointed out with the Phil Fulmer example above, it ain't necessarily so. I think the chances are good that LSU regresses under their next coach. Plus as long as Nick Saban is at Alabama, the path to a playoff is difficult. In the four team playoff format, I think it's unlikely two entrants will come from the same conference, much less the same division.

arnie
09-26-2016, 06:27 PM
I saw a recent video of Alleva speaking about the Cut hire. You're correct, OF. He took full credit for the hire. It was nauseating to watch.

Nauseating - fits the admiral to a T. Does he really think nobody at Duke has a memory? Of course he didn't "really" fire Miles, just did what he was told.

Pghdukie
09-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Is Lane Kiffen being considered ? Or anybody else that has a tough time dealing with Saban.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-26-2016, 06:46 PM

Not really. Alleva didn't want David Cutcliffe. The committee had to "work around" him to get the job done.

sagegrouse
09-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Les Miles is the winningest coach LSU has ever had. LSU assumes that the new coach will have all of the strengths of Miles, but fix the weakness Miles had around the offense. As someone pointed out with the Phil Fulmer example above, it ain't necessarily so. I think the chances are good that LSU regresses under their next coach. Plus as long as Nick Saban is at Alabama, the path to a playoff is difficult. In the four team playoff format, I think it's unlikely two entrants will come from the same conference, much less the same division.

Football fans in Louisiana are not just avid -- they are a little crazy. Maybe it's the Cajun and Creole influence; maybe it's because Louisiana is so close to a much wealthier Texas. In the case of Les Miles and LSU football, it seems to manifest itself in irrationality.

The problem with "irrational" actions with respect to Les Miles is that is affects who is willing to accept the head coaching position. Surely, the candidates would not necessarily believe they would be treated fairly on the basis of the record. In fact, they would probably believe they would need to be a miracle worker to succeed in the eyes of the fans and donors.

Tom B.
09-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Dang.

Scott Van Pelt just straight-up called Joe Alleva "gutless" -- SVP's exact word -- for refusing to answer questions about the Miles firing at a press conference earlier today. (Well, now I guess it's yesterday.)

BigWayne
09-27-2016, 03:42 AM
Miles had his flaws, but LSU was really successful during his tenure. I don't remember a lot of college football prior to his arrival in Baton Rouge

Yep, good thing they got Miles when they did. That coach they had before apparently wasn't very memorable.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Dang.

Scott Van Pelt just straight-up called Joe Alleva "gutless" -- SVP's exact word -- for refusing to answer questions about the Miles firing at a press conference earlier today. (Well, now I guess it's yesterday.)

And that's coming from a Maryland grad -- someone who knows what a gutless AD looks like.

brevity
09-27-2016, 08:21 AM
I hate to be the stickler for grammar on this board, but you all should be saying "Fewer Miles".

While I can't speak to the inner workings of Baton Rouge, I have noticed a local push for Art Briles, recently of Baylor, in an unfortunate intersection of "Louisiana believes in second chances" and "Too soon?" If that happens, I feel compelled to visit nearby high schools and advise their female students to avoid LSU and go to college elsewhere, for their own safety.

Spanarkel
09-27-2016, 08:40 AM
I think Phil Fulmer is a good example of the problem I'm talking about though. Since Phil left in 2008:

2015 9 - 4
2014 7 - 6
2013 5 - 7
2012 5 - 7
2011 5 - 7
2010 6 - 7
2009 7 - 6

UT brought it on itself by hiring Derek Dooley, 17-20 at LaTech. UGA hired Kirby Smart, Alabama's DC for 8 years. Iron sharpens iron. Only time will tell if Coach Smart will lead UGA to where it wants to be, but in Coach Richt's last 8 seasons UGA was 14-23 against Top 25 teams: ouch! Over the past 5 seasons, the state of Georgia has averaged 113 commitments/year to Power 5 schools(3rd most among all states), and if/hopefully when Coach Smart improves UGA's recruiting among in-state prospects(early tallies for the 2017 class are very promising, 11 verbals out of ESPN's Top 300 so far), I believe that UGA can compete for FBS Playoff spots on a regular basis. Just my two cents.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2016, 09:15 AM
UT brought it on itself by hiring Derek Dooley, 17-20 at LaTech. UGA hired Kirby Smart, Alabama's DC for 8 years. Iron sharpens iron. Only time will tell if Coach Smart will lead UGA to where it wants to be, but in Coach Richt's last 8 seasons UGA was 14-23 against Top 25 teams: ouch! Over the past 5 seasons, the state of Georgia has averaged 113 commitments/year to Power 5 schools(3rd most among all states), and if/hopefully when Coach Smart improves UGA's recruiting among in-state prospects(early tallies for the 2017 class are very promising, 11 verbals out of ESPN's Top 300 so far), I believe that UGA can compete for FBS Playoff spots on a regular basis. Just my two cents.

Hope that is the case. Time will tell.

Of course, Richt landed Eason. Even though he had a rough game Saturday, the kid is gonna be good. UGa was concerned that Eason was going to follow Richt to Miami, and gave a big sigh of relief when he didn't.

wilson
09-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Every time I talk to a disgruntled GT alum, I count my lucky stars that Paul Johnson chose Atlanta over Durham.

We could not have found a better fit for Duke than David Cutcliffe.Seconded. Paul Johnson, by all accounts, is a dyspeptic and unpleasant colleague. And boy, do I loathe option-style football. I literally would not be watching our games right now if he were our coach.

MChambers
09-27-2016, 10:27 AM
I hate to be the stickler for grammar on this board, but you all should be saying "Fewer Miles".

While I can't speak to the inner workings of Baton Rouge, I have noticed a local push for Art Briles, recently of Baylor, in an unfortunate intersection of "Louisiana believes in second chances" and "Too soon?" If that happens, I feel compelled to visit nearby high schools and advise their female students to avoid LSU and go to college elsewhere, for their own safety.

Is there a coach named Moore Kilometers available?

Dev11
09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Yep, good thing they got Miles when they did. That coach they had before apparently wasn't very memorable.

I meant that I wasn't following college football before his tenure, thus my comparison to other coaches is focused on his contemporaries, not his predecessors. I know that Saban did very well at LSU, as he used that job as a springboard to the NFL. Since I became a college football fan, around 2007 or so, I think Meyer and Saban are the only coaches more prominent than Miles, and those guys are not going to leave their current jobs to coach LSU.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Based on minimal research, I think the NCAA is still investigating and there is a chance that Briles could end up with a show cause penalty attached to him. The SEC is notorious for being loosy-goosy with the rules, but I'm not sure if LSU would want anything to do with that.

devildeac
09-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Is there a coach named Moore Kilometers available?

Depends on what metric you're applying...

Reilly
09-27-2016, 12:16 PM
To take the real measure of a man, look at his heart, not his name.

BigWayne
09-27-2016, 01:14 PM
I meant that I wasn't following college football before his tenure, thus my comparison to other coaches is focused on his contemporaries, not his predecessors. I know that Saban did very well at LSU, as he used that job as a springboard to the NFL. Since I became a college football fan, around 2007 or so, I think Meyer and Saban are the only coaches more prominent than Miles, and those guys are not going to leave their current jobs to coach LSU.

Well, the comment I was responding to seemed to be discussing the attractiveness of the LSU job. You can't make a full assessment of that if you don't go back more than one coach. LSU is a much more attractive job than the Houston one and is likely to be one of the top 5 jobs available at the end of the year. I would think they have a decent chance to get Herman if they want him.

DangerDevil
09-28-2016, 07:20 PM
SI's experts predictions for LSU's next coach,
two predict UNC's Hat to be the Mad Hatter's replacement,
one voted for Cut

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/09/28/lsu-les-miles-coaching-candidates-tigers

sagegrouse
09-28-2016, 08:44 PM
SI's experts predictions for LSU's next coach,
two predict UNC's Hat to be the Mad Hatter's replacement,
one voted for Cut

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/09/28/lsu-les-miles-coaching-candidates-tigers

Money quote:

Gabriel Baumgaertner: David Cutcliffe

Is this likely? Of course not. Should LSU give this hire some serious thought? Absolutely. This is the school that would be an annual national title contender if it was able to develop a quarterback. Who better to do that than Cutcliffe? Trusted developer of Peyton and Eli Manning and a man who converted Duke—a program that once made Kansas look desirable—into an annual 8–9 win team. Whether Cutcliffe wants the shot is unknown; why leave the comfortable and scenic gothic of Durham for the pressure cooker of Baton Rouge? But if he expresses interest, the Tigers should strongly consider him. His work with the Blue Devils has been masterful.

diablesseblu
10-01-2016, 10:41 AM
From this piece, it sounds like Cut is not a fan of Alleva. Joe has really put pressure on himself by declaring, "I am the search."

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/im-the-search-says-lsu-athletic-director-joe-alleva-which-is-worrisome/327980507

sagegrouse
10-01-2016, 11:08 AM
From this piece, it sounds like Cut is not a fan of Alleva. Joe has really put pressure on himself by declaring, "I am the search."

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/im-the-search-says-lsu-athletic-director-joe-alleva-which-is-worrisome/327980507

The Bard had an appropriate line: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Money quote from WWL article:

Finally, Alleva hit gold after the 2007 season with David Cutcliffe, who understandably struggled early but has taken Duke to three straight winning seasons and four consecutive bowls. Funny, though, Cutcliffe never liked Alleva and still doesn't. No further explanation, although we all know he wasn't Alleva's choice to be head coach.